Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Funerary

• Start Topic

(edited)

OMG, this show is crazy as hell. It totally won me over tonight. Roller's viking funeral. UncleDaddy and his wife hitting each other and hugging. Quiet Ann and her bed bunny. The picture of Roller at the funeral was so hilarious. The dancers at the funeral procession. The music after and dancing at the wake and then UncleDaddy singing. Hysterical. I want more.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
(edited)

Still enjoying this show. I especially enjoyed how they moved the plot forward tonight but still gave time to the beats of Roller's family finding out about his death and mourning him. I'm also liking the Desna/Virginia dynamic. 

Other things I enjoyed in this ep.

*Jen cheering on her hubby Bryce as he practiced his life coach speech

*Polly and Quiet Ann chatting in the van.

*Polly telling that tall tale to the teenagers she was working with for her community service. (Carrie Preston is the best).

*Desna's funeral outfit. Good Lord, Neicy Nash is beautiful!

*Every damn thing about that funeral. It was epic!

Finally, I love the vibrant look of this show.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 13
(edited)

Uncle Daddy and Mrs. Uncle Daddy are a match made in Jerry Springer heaven. Given how Jenn referred to UD as her "father-in-law", I guess he pretty much raise Bryce and Roller. Funny, how Bryce turned out relatively normal.

So, does Roller have a government name? 

I am not going to call that a wake, that was a straight up Grand Master-level ratchet afterparty.

Edited by FlowerofCarnage
  • Love 10

I am so in love with this show. As a former Southern Baptist, I about died when Uncle Daddy busted out with "How Great Thou Art" at the wake.  That song was definitely one of that denomination's staples. And Uncle Daddy's wife looked and acted exactly how I expected her to look. This show is fantastic.

• Love 8

Watching Carrie Preston is like watching a damn master class in acting during that scene with the young girls.    But really, the whole cast is aces.

The solemn looking preacher/priest at the funeral reading from the Book of Arnold was my favorite moment of the night.

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm slightly distracted by Miss Niecey's huge hair and exaggerated figure.

I will watch anything with her and Carrie Preston in it. And the other actors are holding their own, including Tran. I'm not quite in love with Dean Norris' portrayal of Uncle Daddy - I think it's the bad southern accent. I was reading recently that the federal government emasculated the Dixie Mafia - maybe in the 80s? My school friend's uncle was rumored to be in it in southern MS and was a scary dude.

Love that they have an autistic character as Niecey's brother. Some of his behaviors and conversation are dead on.

It's fun to see the bright exteriors and wild nail art.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

I forgot to mention. The wrapped dead body already in the boat and Virginia and Desa's reaction to it, then Virginia trying to put back in Roller's gold teeth. Bwah.

It occurred to me that Desna and Virginia's way out of this mess is to put it on the Russians. They can make it look like the Russians were trying to take Uncle Daddy's territory.

• Love 6

When they cut to the strippers marching in the street & holding up that ridiculous painting, I was falling out.

This show is ridiculous!

I knew it would turn out to be the Asian woman spying for the other nail salon.  Is that normal though, seeing who's buying your salon? I thought once the deal was done, that was it.

Ann is going to regret not turning the psycho housewife away, what a mess!

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I am so in love with this show. As a former Southern Baptist, I about died when Uncle Daddy busted out with "How Great Thou Art" at the wake.  That song was definitely one of that denomination's staples. And Uncle Daddy's wife looked and acted exactly how I expected her to look. This show is fantastic.

This show, lord I love it.

Uncle Daddy falling out at the burial site, I laughed and laughed. And yes, his singing at the funeral hilarious, yet the actor has a lovely voice. 

The entire pimp/hoe funeral/convention parade in the streets was epic, I could not stop laughing. At first I was like, oh look, they're giving him a going home parade like they do in New Orleans, then I saw pole dancers, LOL.

Then people coming up to Desna with condolences, I guess Roller gave them the impression that she really was his old lady. Too bad she had no idea that this was the case.

Oh, and Desna's brother having a melt down shouting out that Roller was going to teach him how to jet ski, LOL.

Good lord, quiet Ann has got a stalker, damn, I'm afraid for Quiet Ann's safety.  When they started making out in the parking lot, again, I busted out laughing when someone shouted out, "That's my America!" Did anybody else hear that? hilarious.

There's just so much to be entertained by on this show.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 8

Roller's Viking send off had me cracking up.  And then that Ho funeral...

It's great to see Dale Dickey as Uncle Daddy's wife.  

I think Uncle Daddy missed his calling because I think he could make a killing as one of those tv preachers, especially with the singing.

I'm going to post a UO though:  I just can't get into Harold Perrineau as the autistic brother.   

• Love 3

The actress playing Uncle Daddy's wife was also in True Blood. It was small somewhat recurring role but she was werewolf, grandmother. Anyway, that scene with her and Uncle Daddy slapping then hugging each other, again, more laughter. 

32 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

The actress playing Uncle Daddy's wife was also in True Blood. It was small somewhat recurring role but she was werewolf, grandmother. Anyway, that scene with her and Uncle Daddy slapping then hugging each other, again, more laughter. 

Dale Dickey. She was also on a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad.

Does Uncle Daddy's boy toy live with him too?

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I couldn't take my eyes off the erotic Jesus paintings in Uncle Daddy's living room.

See what I mean about this show having so much to be entertained by, I didn't even notice these paintings you speak of. There is just so much, I haven't even gotten to Jen's cute little girls and how they looked listening to their daddy's motivational speech on getting one's shit together after addiction. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Roller's Viking send off had me cracking up.  And then that Ho funeral...

It's great to see Dale Dickey as Uncle Daddy's wife.  

I think Uncle Daddy missed his calling because I think he could make a killing as one of those tv preachers, especially with the singing.

I'm going to post a UO though:  I just can't get into Harold Perrineau as the autistic brother.   

I'm wondering if there's a twist coming that Harold Perrineau's "Dean" is not really autistic? Either that, or there is SOMETHING about him that just isn't what it seems. This show has my attention 100% by the way.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Dale Dickey. She was also on a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad.

Does Uncle Daddy's boy toy live with him too?

wasn't she on "my name is earl"? the daytime hooker?

7 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Watching Carrie Preston is like watching a damn master class in acting during that scene with the young girls.    But really, the whole cast is aces.

The solemn looking preacher/priest at the funeral reading from the Book of Arnold was my favorite moment of the night.

she is good. what did her character go to jail for? i'm having a bout of can't remember shit syndrome.

• Love 1

Another thing that makes me wonder if Dean is more than what he seems is the fact that he's one of the series regulars. I can't see him just sitting at home waiting for Desna to come and take care of him as a main character on the show. I would think he'd be just a recurring or guest star if that were the case.

I have never had a manicure, I do my own nails, but I was wondering if women really do get their nails done like what's shown on this show?  I mean, some of those nails are so elaborate that I can't imagine the women being able to do much with them.  I certainly wouldn't want any of them preparing my food.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I have never had a manicure, I do my own nails, but I was wondering if women really do get their nails done like what's shown on this show?  I mean, some of those nails are so elaborate that I can't imagine the women being able to do much with them.  I certainly wouldn't want any of them preparing my food.

Some do. And they can do surprising types of work

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I was an extra in an upcoming episode in which I have some of those really elaborate nails put on.  Let me tell you that I couldn't even go to the bathroom until we wrapped.  I had to get people to do everything for me short of feed me my lunch.  They must be hell getting used to.

I heard that the production company filed paperwork with the state of Louisiana to film season 2 before TNT even ordered a second season.  I sure hope it gets renewed.  I'm loving it. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I have an aunt who gets her nails done like that. Hers are real and about 6 inches long. And if you met her, she wouldn't hesitate to tell you that she is an Ivy League educated architect. She is. She's also ridiculous. She also dresses like Desna's slightly classier aunt (my aunt being 72). 

But yes, some people do their nails like that.

http://bodyjewelryblog.com/2012/01/20/piercing-beauty-the-new-evolution-of-nail-art/

http://nailartgallery.nailsmag.com/photos/views

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Then people coming up to Desna with condolences, I guess Roller gave them the impression that she really was his old lady. Too bad she had no idea that this was the case.

I was surprised by this. I thought Roller considered Desna one of his many women. I didn't realize until that moment that he told everyone that she was his woman and the others were sidepieces. Too bad Roller didn't treat Desna better, especially since he must have known how desperately she wanted that money to buy a nice home for Dean. Given how Roller lived and how much money he had, he could have given her the house down payment with breaking a sweat.

Quiet Ann in the van with Polly was the first time that Judy Reyes was recognizable. I think that she has been doing something with mouth and/or lower face to change its shape. Amazing. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Yes,  I've had a few co-workers in the past who have made it their point of pride to show off how their elaborate nail art on Monday mornings. Most women who are into it have been doing it so long that the nails are no hindrance to performing everyday tasks.  I used to get acrylics back in the day (no elaborate design) and the first few days were a struggle until I got used to it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I have an aunt who gets her nails done like that. Hers are real and about 6 inches long. And if you met her, she wouldn't hesitate to tell you that she is an Ivy League educated architect. She is. She's also ridiculous. She also dresses like Desna's slightly classier aunt (my aunt being 72). 

But yes, some people do their nails like that.

http://bodyjewelryblog.com/2012/01/20/piercing-beauty-the-new-evolution-of-nail-art/

http://nailartgallery.nailsmag.com/photos/views

I think I love your aunt!! 

This show is amazing. I never would have thought of Niecy Nash for this role, but she's great and I have never seen Carrie Preston in anything but I'm enjoying her. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Then people coming up to Desna with condolences, I guess Roller gave them the impression that she really was his old lady.

Well, Niecy is 14 years older than the actor who plays Roller.  ;-)

34 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Well, Niecy is 14 years older than the actor who plays Roller.  ;-)

I'm pretty sure the characters are also. Have they gotten into their backstories and I just didn't notice? I am guessing she was a stripper before aging and getting the nail salon with that business being Roller's introduction to his mafia work.

That funeral was the BEST! I cannot stop laughing at the show. Whoever said last week that it reminded them of Carl Hiasson's writing was absolutely spot on! The crazy on top of the murder is so much his wheelhouse.

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm with you there. The scenes with him at home just feel like they belong on a different show.

• Love 3

I'm glad to see that people are loving claws, because I think it is great as well.  The perfect summer show.  I'm with those who wonder where the storynwitht the autistic brother is going because I doubt the show would cast an actor of HP character in what is essentially a throw-away role.

I sort of wish they had not killed off Roller because I think his pairing with Niecey Nash was gold and could have been mined for some time.  As other noted, I was surprised to find that Roller clearly considered Desna to be the woman he was with.  He probably never saw an example of the proper way to treat the person you were with, especially if Uncle-Daddy was his primary role model.

I dont think the actress playing Virginia is especially talented.  She stands out as the weak link on a show with some really strong actors.  Maybe it's just me, but I dont find her particularly believable in the role she is playing.  Maybe she will improve, or the show will find her niche and it will make me change my mind, but so far, she is the most replaceable actor on the show.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

I'm with those who wonder where the storynwitht the autistic brother is going because I doubt the show would cast an actor of HP character in what is essentially a throw-away role.

We're only two episodes in.  Dean is the brother of the main character who may or may not piss off, not one, but two crime organizations.  I'm sure Dean will have a lot to do.

56 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

She stands out as the weak link on a show with some really strong actors.

Totally agree with you there.  With a cast that includes Nash and Preston, her inexperience really shows.

(edited)

I'm envisioning an episode ending with Desna and Dean having their loving brother/sister moment with his autism in full play. She leaves to go to work, Dean stands up and says in gangster mode "DUMB BITCH, YOU HAVE NO IDEA." 

Edited by Syndicate
1 hour ago, Happytobehere said:

I dont think the actress playing Virginia is especially talented.  She stands out as the weak link on a show with some really strong actors.  Maybe it's just me, but I dont find her particularly believable in the role she is playing.  Maybe she will improve, or the show will find her niche and it will make me change my mind, but so far, she is the most replaceable actor on the show.

Karreuche Tran's biggest claim to fame was being Chris Brown's girlfriend (I think she has/had a lawsuit pending against him for assault).  So I guess she decided to take advantage of that "fame" and go into acting.  The first role I saw her in was some dumb movie on the SYFY channel and she was so bad it was funny.  Or sad.   

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Karreuche Tran's biggest claim to fame was being Chris Brown's girlfriend (I think she has/had a lawsuit pending against him for assault).  So I guess she decided to take advantage of that "fame" and go into acting.  The first role I saw her in was some dumb movie on the SYFY channel and she was so bad it was funny.  Or sad.   

Yeah, the judge just granted her a restraining order against him.

At any rate, the video I posted in the other thread of the actresses talking about their roles on this show, Tran actually says something to the effect of when she got on set she realized oh shit, these are real actresses and I better step up my game. But they all seemed very supportive of her and each other and making sure she grows as an actress. We shall see.

Edited by Keepitmoving

Add me to those who loved the show. Any doubts I might have had were completely blown away by the funeral. The parade and the stripper float was just amazing. Uncle Daddy breaking out into song was just the icing on the cake. It also helps that I adore Carrie Preston and Niecy Nash and would watch just about anything for them (so I'm really glad the show is so entertaining)

4 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I actually liked her. I think she's actually showing enough vulnerability under her bravado. I look forward to seeing more of her interaction with Desna.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I actually think Tran's greenness and naivety work for this show. Virginia is a survivor but is still immature. She's like a kid playing dress-up. She doesn't seem like she's had anyone teach her how to succeed in life. Or even how to value and respect herself as a woman. I wonder how old she was when her mom died. 

I do wish Desna would have explained more clearly that running away and staying away makes her look guilty. Or that Uncle Daddy was suspicious of her. Which makes things worse for both of them. Somehow I don't think Virginia would figure that out on her own. 

I laughed when Desna grabbed the blond Asian woman thinking she was Virginia. 

20 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm pretty sure the characters are also. Have they gotten into their backstories and I just didn't notice? I am guessing she was a stripper before aging and getting the nail salon with that business being Roller's introduction to his mafia work.

I don't think we've heard their back stories yet. I'm anxious to learn more about them. 

On 6/19/2017 at 7:36 AM, SimoneS said:

I forgot to mention. The wrapped dead body already in the boat and Virginia and Desa's reaction to it, then Virginia trying to put back in Roller's gold teeth. Bwah.

It occurred to me that Desna and Virginia's way out of this mess is to put it on the Russians. They can make it look like the Russians were trying to take Uncle Daddy's territory.

Yes. Who was that other dead body?

That doctor needs to go to jail. The way he's enabling people's addictions and taking their money--he's a disgrace to the medical profession. And the sad thing is that there are some doctors (but not most!) IRL who are almost as bad. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2017 at 7:40 AM, peridot said:

I knew it would turn out to be the Asian woman spying for the other nail salon.  Is that normal though, seeing who's buying your salon? I thought once the deal was done, that was it.

I thought maybe that Desna was buying into a franchise, but it wasn't clear. If it is an upscale franchise, it would explain why they were spying to see how Desna would run it.

2 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes. Who was that other dead body?

I have no clue. It was hilarious that Roller just has that body there waiting to dump it.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, pasdetrois said:

I did not know this was shot in Louisiana, my home state!

They film all over the New Orleans area and in Slidell.

48 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I thought maybe that Desna was buying into a franchise, but it wasn't clear. If it is an upscale franchise, it would explain why they were spying to see how Desna would run it.

That nail salon Desna's looking at is the fanciest, most upscale salon in town.  So you're probably right.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, AgentRXS said:

I went nuts too - with How Great Thou Art - especially in the context of the funeral being this weird BSDM discoteque sort of thing.  My FIL is a country Southern Baptist Preacher (fire and brimstone) so I have this episode saved for his next visit to our home when he attempts to save us and hide pocket bibles in the bathrooms and other corners of the home!

• Love 5
On 6/20/2017 at 9:00 AM, Happytobehere said:

I sort of wish they had not killed off Roller because I think his pairing with Niecey Nash was gold and could have been mined for some time.  As other noted, I was surprised to find that Roller clearly considered Desna to be the woman he was with.  He probably never saw an example of the proper way to treat the person you were with, especially if Uncle-Daddy was his primary role model.

For some odd reason, I wasn't surprised that he told people that. I kinda got the impression in the pilot he actually thought that despite his infidelities/side pieces and very high opinion of himself. Upon rewatching the ep, Dean's reaction to the jet ski lessons and how much he liked Roller, I think that was why I wasn't surprised... cause it seemed like from that scene that Roller hung out with Desna & Dean as a unit - and was nice to Dean, it seems - so it wasn't just about sex with Desna. Roller seemed to follow more along Uncle Daddy with relationship choices than Bryce did (I also think Jen would cut off Bryce's penis if he even tried to step out on her), so he likely thinks having a main woman and side pieces is perfectly acceptable. 

I am really enjoying this show. I am hoping for a second season. It's so entertaining. 

• Love 6

I love this show, I really do.  There's no show like it on TV today, it's great.  I don't know if I'm supposed to laugh, be appalled, or what, but it's great.  I'm also glad to see Dean Norris because he's one of those actors who is very talented and has been around a long time.

I'm in the minority here but I like Karreuche Tran, because she's trying to do better in her life and not just become the next Kim Kardashian or Karrine Steffans.  Sure she got notoriety by dating Chris Brown, but hey, as Wendy Williams says, not everybody can go to college and at least she's not on "Basketball Wives" "WAGS" or "Love and Hip Hop."

• Love 7