Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I came by to see what folks were saying about this. Looks like things will be getting very interesting! Hallmark doesn't like scandal.

Maybe they can change the title to "When Calls the DA."

Edited by Ms Lark
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, free2think said:

Ya, not surprised. She is so manipulative and full of Greed and she raised a daughter just like herself. Told us "Hearties" not to stop watching the show because it would put people out of work. When all she cares about is her own paycheck and many "Hearties" take her at her word.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/lori-loughlins-daughter-cashed-in-on-student-status-after-alleged-bribery-scheme/

I don't in any way defend her but it will put a lot of people out of work when the show is cancelled.  And I would suspect at this point that the show will be cancelled because I can't see Hallmark being able to not and keep its squeaky clean g rated image with this kind of corruption on the network.  Ironic though, if she's the one that leads to these people losing their jobs.

But now we know why Abigail is so willing to see the good side of Henry.  She knows who she's going to need in her corner to get Cody into college.  /snark.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I don't in any way defend her but it will put a lot of people out of work when the show is cancelled.  And I would suspect at this point that the show will be cancelled because I can't see Hallmark being able to not and keep its squeaky clean g rated image with this kind of corruption on the network.  Ironic though, if she's the one that leads to these people losing their jobs.

With their large cast, I’d hope that they’d just write out Abigail and keep the series going. Lee would make a good mayor and Rosemary would be amusing as the mayor’s wife. To be honest, I haven’t missed  Jack and there are enough characters that I wouldn’t miss Abigail that much. 

I just hope they don’t pull the series mid season because of the scandal. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

it will put a lot of people out of work when the show is cancelled.

No, this is not the way it works. If WCTH was completed in 4 or 5 seasons with a J&E happy ending, the crew would go onto other shows. I know some hair and make up people in the business and they work many different gigs as the same time. This show runs for 10 episodes so perhaps 15 or 20 weeks of work, not enough for a full year so they always move on to other shows. Lot's of TV shows shoot in Canada, there is no way these folks would starve, loose their house, etc. if one TV finished. There is always another in the works. 

Heck, I bet over 90% of the folks on WCTH will be working that new show. 

No, Lori used this argument to manipulate people and it seemed to work on some people. 

2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

But now we know why Abigail is so willing to see the good side of Henry. 

Ha,Ha. What is the saying? "Takes one to know one" 

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

And I would suspect at this point that the show will be cancelled because I can't see Hallmark being able to not and keep its squeaky clean g rated image with this kind of corruption on the network. 

Oh, I doubt they would cancel the show now, heck they totally destroyed the show, turned it on its head and it's still on. Besides Bird will just manipulate the current viewers by tweeting "we need to forgive Lori as we all are sinful and in need of redemption". Hallmark is about $$$, so long as people watch, they won't care about this situation. Also the show is already shot, it's post production and already on the air.  No changes, no take backs.

Edited by free2think
  • Love 3

I wish they would give Lori the boot. Maybe a dramatic death scene with Cody by her side. LOL. He is so annoying to me. I agree with the poster who suggested Lee for Mayor and Rosemary as the Mayor's wife. I really like them as a couple. But, I wonder if Hallmark would do this? I hope they don't just have her issue some insincere groveling apology--we all want the best for our children and I was misguided as I tried to help my daughters with their quest to attend college, blah, blah, blah. I think she needs to be gone. She plays such a goody two shoes on the show and I now I will just look at her as that felon who bribed the colleges to accept her kid under false pretenses. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, langford peel said:

Did Abigail get arrested for giving Elizabeth three apple pies to let Cody into the 9th grade?

Abigail may throw in some extra pies if Elizabeth says Cody is on the baseball team even though Cody has never played. Of course Cody just wants to get in the 9th grade so he can party all the time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Hallmark is not so wholesome as people think. I think they probably will keep Lori on.  WCTH ratings are high...so money talks and bull walks! The more I think about this whole scandal the angrier I become. When I think about the hard time my own daughter had with getting a high enough SAT score just to get into a decent university, and then people like Lori pays off the school officials who just let their children waltz in, it really just ticks me off!

Edited by Red30
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Red30 said:

I think they probably will keep Lori on.

This whole scandal speaks to Lori's personal morals (or lack thereof); the feds have her on tape saying if she ever gets caught she will just say they were donating to a charity (the fraudulent one that was set up to to cheat) and she did this with both girls so this was not a one off. But if you read some of the tweets on #WCTH, they seem to think Lori and Erin walk with God and are blessed and right now are praying that God bless this TV Show, all the actors, producers, etc.. It's nuts. I liked this crazy show when it was true to the story of J & E but truly it's not ordained by God, it's just a TV show. 

Lots of people did not want to believe the rumors that she was the reason Dan left the show and that it was no coincidence that her part got larger as Dan's diminished because she is just so kind and sweet and everyone just loves each other on the set. She is an ACTRESS, smiles and tears come easy. Is everyone awake yet? 

So long as Hallmark can make a buck off Lori (and vice versa) she is staying. 

• Love 8

The sad thing is all the studies show that while it makes a huge amount of difference when you first get out of school within 5-10 years most of the advantages gained by those from the top tier schools have evened out.  Don't get me wrong I value education.  But these people are committing crimes and spending thousands of dollars (hundreds of thousands of dollars in Lori's case) and more to get their kid breaks that in the end won't be worth much if they don't at some point start working on their own behalf.  But clearly nobody's ever taught them to do that.  Sometimes the greatest motivator for future success is failure.   

I am in no way under the impression that Hallmark is the squeaky clean moral company they want viewers to believe.  But I do think their demographic is white suburban moms whose kids aren't going to USC because Lori's daughters took their place.   If these Mom's say, "yeah, if I had the money. I'd do that for my kid..."   Lori stays on the show.  If they get angry and boycott and stop watching?  Lori's gone.  And Halmark's morality won't have anything to do with it, but their needing to stay on the right side of their target demo (whichever way that shakes out) may make them toss Lori out and when they do it they'll say something about their morals and values.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, bybrandy said:

The sad thing is all the studies show that while it makes a huge amount of difference when you first get out of school within 5-10 years most of the advantages gained by those from the top tier schools have evened out.

This whole thing does not seem to be about education, just status. Lori's daughter already has a social media job that pays her way more than any teenager makes working a minimum wage job. To keep that image up they needed to get her into a "named" school even if she did not have the chops to get in. All these parents involved have enough money to allow their kids to do anything they want, the education was not what was sought only the prestige of going to the school.

• Love 4

Lori and her Mr. Mossimo Target Gianulli are LOADED.  Those girls do not need an extra-handout in the form of a half-million dollar scam to get them into college.  Loughlin is a joke at this point, and I can't imagine WCTH will have her on next season...unless Hallmark and the advertisers don't care about sleazy actors under criminal indictment.  I don't think I can watch her anymore on this show, or any other Hallmark show, knowing what she is.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, free2think said:

I liked this crazy show when it was true to the story of J & E but truly it's not ordained by God, it's just a TV show. 

I was hanging in there watching the show because it was still by far the cleanest program on Hallmark--but yep, I can see the tide changing with WCTH. Hallmark, like other stations, get you hooked on a decent show with decent morals and then "BOOM" pretty soon you're watching a completely different series then when you first began.

14 hours ago, free2think said:

Lots of people did not want to believe the rumors that she was the reason Dan left the show and that it was no coincidence that her part got larger as Dan's diminished because she is just so kind and sweet and everyone just loves each other on the set. She is an ACTRESS, smiles and tears come easy. Is everyone awake yet? 

I also read that she had a hand in Daniel's departure but I thought pretty much like everyone else,  that she wouldn't do something to undermine her own show. On the flip side, sounds like those school officials went looking for these couples to entice. If this is so, Lori (and all the others) might just get off on the basis entrapment. Well, I can't feel sorry for her. Like everyone else, she will have to own up to her wrong-doing and face the consequences.  

Edited by Red30
56 minutes ago, izabella said:

I don't think I can watch her anymore on this show, or any other

I don't know if the show "Fuller House" is still running. If it is I wonder how they will handle the negative publicity? Is Lori out or will they keep her?

Edited by Red30

Honestly, I don’t really care about the scandal. If this was a heavy news week this story would’ve died already. Rich people buy their way into things all.the.time.

Whats slightly interesting about the story is that Lori and her husband truly wanted the girls to go to college because it’s something they weren’t able to do.  The must feel like they missed out on that experience.  Of course, the girls could’ve cared less.

I think this will have an effect on the network perhaps more people watching or not.

4 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

If this was a heavy news week this story would’ve died already.

This is being called "the  largest college admissions scandal in history"...I don't think it's going to die anytime soon.

Edited by Red30
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Honestly, I don’t really care about the scandal. If this was a heavy news week this story would’ve died already. Rich people buy their way into things all.the.time.

Whats slightly interesting about the story is that Lori and her husband truly wanted the girls to go to college because it’s something they weren’t able to do.  The must feel like they missed out on that experience.  Of course, the girls could’ve cared less.

I think this will have an effect on the network perhaps more people watching or not.

According to daughter's story her dad used his college money to start the business that afforded him the career that afforded him the ability to buy her way into college.      He's been hustling his whole life.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

According to daughter's story her dad used his college money to start the business that afforded him the career that afforded him the ability to buy her way into college.      He's been hustling his whole life.

Yes, he apparently used the tuition money from his parents to start his clothing business. The parents had no idea. So, his lying comes very naturally. I am looking at Lori in a whole new light now. She gives off this squeaky clean appearance, but is obviously a conniving, snobby, above the law person. 

16 hours ago, Red30 said:

I was hanging in there watching the show because it was still by far the cleanest program on Hallmark--but yep, I can see the tide changing with WCTH. Hallmark, like other stations, get you hooked on a decent show with decent morals and then "BOOM" pretty soon you're watching a completely different series then when you first began.

I also read that she had a hand in Daniel's departure but I thought pretty much like everyone else,  that she wouldn't do something to undermine her own show. On the flip side, sounds like those school officials went looking for these couples to entice. If this is so, Lori (and all the others) might just get off on the basis entrapment. Well, I can't feel sorry for her. Like everyone else, she will have to own up to her wrong-doing and face the consequences.  

There is NO WAY these people are getting off. Sure, they may not serve prison time (but they should). They will probably buy their way out of that too, but at least they will have to spend some of their millions now paying their attorneys. People will never look at them the same way again. Honestly, Hallmark better fire her. Family values and bribing, lying, cheating. Huh, how do these work together? This was absolutely NOT entrapment. Have you read some of those emails published? There is written and audio evidence that Lori and Huffman entered into this extremely willingly. They even talked about how they would say they donated money to a charity, if they ever got caught. Lori referred to the high school guidance counselor (who questioned the husband how the daughter was a crew recruit, when she had never rowed) as "our little friend" in an email to the scam leader. How demeaning is this? She thought the counselor would figure out what was really going on. If Lori had been smart, she and her husband would have made a million dollar plus donation to the university and that probably would have gotten her daughters admitted and that would not have been against the law. Maybe she is lacking some smarts, just like her kids.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Red30 said:

On the flip side, sounds like those school officials went looking for these couples to entice.

Of course they did—it was their business. Every day we're bombarded with advertisements from companies enticing us to buy their products. It's up to us to decide if we want to eat that Big Mac or drink that Coke. If we decide to do so, we weren't entrapped—we just bought into the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

If we decide to do so, we weren't entrapped—we just bought into the pitch. 

Yes, well put. All these parents knew exactly what they were buying and what they were doing. There is no "good spin" to put on this. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

If Lori had been smart, she and her husband would have made a million dollar plus donation to the university and that probably would have gotten her daughters admitted

Actually, for USC the donation would have had to be in the millions (2-3 at least) so to get your kid into the school for only 500K is a deal. I'm sure to Lori and her husband this was a smart $$$ move to get their daughters accepted. 

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

If Lori had been smart, she and her husband would have made a million dollar plus donation to the university and that probably would have gotten her daughters admitted and that would not have been against the law. Maybe she is lacking some smarts, just like her kids.

I don't think 1 million dollars is enough to buy into USC.  I mean it is completely legal (and just as gross) to get your kid into college by donating a building but 1 million dollars isn't enough to guarantee it.  

1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

I don't think 1 million dollars is enough to buy into USC.  I mean it is completely legal (and just as gross) to get your kid into college by donating a building but 1 million dollars isn't enough to guarantee it.  

Oh I agree. I was just kind of using that as an example. They could have easily donated $5 million and it would not have even made a dent in their stockpile of money. Now they will be using those millions to pay for attorneys and possibly losing their sources of income. And their daughters will be kicked out of USC. The daughters were obviously aware of everything, since they posed in crew gear on rowing machines. 

• Love 2

Has anyone noticed that all of the articles say something like, "Aunt Becky . . . Full House . . . Fuller House"?  Are we the only people who think of her as Abigail Stanton and Jennifer Shannon (Garage Sale Mysteries)?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

Are we the only people who think of her as Abigail Stanton

Actually I did not even know Lori was on Hallmark until I started watching WCTH on Netflix back in 2014. She was so iconic to 90's families on "Full House", I have not watch "Fuller House".

But she is very much a Hallmarks brand and Lori loves to act in real life like she is the clean-cut, do-gooder that Abigail Stanton is. Right after Dan is gone, all of a sudden Hallmark was portraying Lori and Erin as "Besties".  Hallmark seems to want to control all aspects both on the show and with the actors.

No wonder they have not commented on this yet. 

• Love 2

IT HAS HAPPENED! 

12:15 p.m.

Hallmark says it is cutting ties with actress Lori Loughlin following her arrest in a sprawling college admissions scam case.

In a statement Thursday, the parent company of the Hallmark Channel says it was "saddened" by the recent allegations.

Hallmark Cards Inc. says it will no longer working with Loughlin and has stopped development of all productions involving her.

Loughlin is a big presence for Hallmark and its Crown Media Family Networks channels that include the flagship Hallmark Channel.

She's been a longtime star of the channel's Christmas movies and is also is in its "Garage Sale Mysteries" movies and the series "When Calls the Heart."

Loughlin's lawyer Perry Visconti did not immediately reply to an email requesting comment.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

Has anyone noticed that all of the articles say something like, "Aunt Becky . . . Full House . . . Fuller House"?  Are we the only people who think of her as Abigail Stanton and Jennifer Shannon (Garage Sale Mysteries)?

I was thinking the same thing. WCTH isn’t in the main stream. That’s why they want us to think lissing left with no real job bc he didn’t want to be only thought of as jack Thornton, meanwhile no one in the media even acts like they heard of WCTH. One musician posted about how does aunt Becky have enough money to bribe usc. Clearly he doesn’t watch hallmark lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I wonder if the show can survive. They have to bring in a new focus since Erin can not carry the show. Of course there are many great actresses in the forties who could come in and slide into that role. Not the role of Abigail but in the role she plays in the show. In fact I have the perfect candidate. 

Brooke Shields.

She has already been on the show and can reprise her role as Jack's mother who wants to be involved with her new grandson. She can be the mother figure to many of the characters on the show. Even be a love interest for the Sheriff and Henry if they went that route. Plus she has lots of Hallmark cred.

Then they could bring someone else to run the cafe. Who would you suggest?

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Wonder who is going to replace her in The Heart.

I don't think they will. They may just show the remaining episodes, then move people on to the new "When Hope Calls" show on their pay channel. I had read in a comment to a YouTube video that this was going to be the last season anyway. Not sure is I trust this "on-set" source but if it is the last, seems they killed Jack for no reason. 

What could have been if they just allowed J & E to get married, get pregnant and both welcome their son. Last scene: Jack, holding his son, and Elizabeth walk hand in hand around the lake; pan up; blue skies; fade to black.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, free2think said:

I don't think they will. They may just show the remaining episodes, then move people on to the new "When Hope Calls" show on their pay channel. I had read in a comment to a YouTube video that this was going to be the last season anyway. Not sure is I trust this "on-set" source but if it is the last, seems they killed Jack for no reason. 

What could have been if they just allowed J & E to get married, get pregnant and both welcome their son. Last scene: Jack, holding his son, and Elizabeth walk hand in hand around the lake; pan up; blue skies; fade to black.

They can just finish airing the remaining episodes of the show and then just end it.

12 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I wonder if the show can survive. They have to bring in a new focus since Erin can not carry the show. Of course there are many great actresses in the forties who could come in and slide into that role. Not the role of Abigail but in the role she plays in the show. In fact I have the perfect candidate. 

Brooke Shields.

She has already been on the show and can reprise her role as Jack's mother who wants to be involved with her new grandson. She can be the mother figure to many of the characters on the show. Even be a love interest for the Sheriff and Henry if they went that route. Plus she has lots of Hallmark cred.

Then they could bring someone else to run the cafe. Who would you suggest?

Patricia Richardson.

• Love 2

I think money will determine what happens. What if their is a ratings spike because people are curious about Lori Loughlin and what she is up too in WCTH? That is very possible.

It is quite possible that they could bring her back if the show continues past next season. Stranger things have happened.

I personally would not have fired her. Rich entitled people like the Kennedy's and the Bushes have done this for decades. I think this indictment is a big publicity stunt that they through out there to cover up something else they don't want us to see. Misdirection by the FBI and the Justice Department. These crimes certainly didn't warrant a pre-dawn raid and arrest of Felicity Huffman with flak vests and machine guns. There is something else going on here.

• Love 2

I wonder if they’ll even show the remaining episodes?  I would think advertisers might have a problem with her still appearing and it’s not like they are going to be able to edit her out.  I’m glad Hallmark made the decision but I would guess that advertisers had as much to do with it as consumers.

The basis of almost every Hallmark show is redemption. Somebody makes a mistake or does something wrong. Then they work through it and get forgiveness and the boy gets the girl. Why can't they work that through in real life.

When somebody does something stupid or even criminal do your throw them out of your family? Yes it was cheating but she was just trying to help her idiot kid. It's not like she killed someone or raped a child like Michael Jackson. 

Is the Hallmark Family a real Family or do they throw one of their most prominent members over the side in stormy weather.

I guess we know the answer.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I think money will determine what happens. What if their is a ratings spike because people are curious about Lori Loughlin and what she is up too in WCTH? That is very possible.

It is quite possible that they could bring her back if the show continues past next season. Stranger things have happened.

I personally would not have fired her. Rich entitled people like the Kennedy's and the Bushes have done this for decades. I think this indictment is a big publicity stunt that they through out there to cover up something else they don't want us to see. Misdirection by the FBI and the Justice Department. These crimes certainly didn't warrant a pre-dawn raid and arrest of Felicity Huffman with flak vests and machine guns. There is something else going on here.

Oh wow, I disagree with all of this. This is absolutely a big deal. Cheating, lying, bribing--to get your kids into a top school. Taking a spot from kids who really earned and deserved that spot. You can't keep someone on a show with that behavior--especially the squeaky clean Hallmark Channel. That is like giving their abhorrent  behavior a stamp of approval. They will not be bringing her back in any capacity. 

I also wonder if they will continue airing the remaining episodes. 

• Love 17
Just now, Pickles said:

Oh wow, I disagree with all of this. This is absolutely a big deal. Cheating, lying, bribing--to get your kids into a top school. Taking a spot from kids who really earned and deserved that spot. You can't keep someone on a show with that behavior--especially the squeaky clean Hallmark Channel. That is like giving their abhorrent  behavior a stamp of approval. They will not be bringing her back in any capacity. 

I also wonder if they will continue airing the remaining episodes. 

I agree with you. I think it's a big deal, and VERY different from regular donation stuff that rich people do. When the rich donate to a school the other students benefit - a new building, better facilities, etc.  These rich people cheated even that by bribing individuals and cheating on tests.  MUCH worse than just making a substantial donation to the school.  The donation is also public and obvious, not hidden. This just stinks to high heaven.

OTOH, I'm a big believer in not taxing our already over-crowded prisons, so I'm hoping they don't actually put them in jail.  Long-term community service and hefty fines and reparations, plus expelling the kids, makes the most sense to me.

• Love 13

You don't think she can perform some sort of penance. Be forgiven. Be redeemed.

College admission is a joke anyway because highly qualified applicants who are superior in every way are turned away for much less qualified people for all kinds of reasons. There is a big lawsuit against Havard on just this point. Yes she was wrong. Felicity Huffman was wrong. Still and all this was a selective prosecution against big names when everybody who can does it in one way or another. Some in just more quasi legal ways like donating a library. This was just more efficient.  I will be impressed when some politician gets arrested for doing this. Like that is gonna happen.

Hallmark knows its customers I guess. They must think there are not many with Christian forgiveness in their hearts.

I just hate that they are blowing up one of my favorite shows.

They are casting the first stone in their glass houses. Good luck with that.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 3

I think they should just recast: "The part of Abigail will now be played by..." and leave it at that.  That's really what they should have done with Jack. Oops, he was shot in the face! He'll make a full recovery, but look completely different. 😂

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, langford peel said:

You don't think she can perform some sort of penance. Be forgiven. Be redeemed.

College admission is a joke anyway because highly qualified applicants who are superior in every way are turned away for much less qualified people for all kinds of reasons. There is a big lawsuit against Havard on just this point. Yes she was wrong. Felicity Huffman was wrong. Still and all this was a selective prosecution against big names when everybody who can does it in one way or another. I will be impressed when some politician gets arrested for doing this. Like that is gonna happen.

Hallmark knows its customers I guess. They must think there are not many with Christian forgiveness in their hearts.

They are casting the first stone in their glass houses. Good luck with that.

Of course, she can.  Forgiveness isn't the question, at least not in my view.  It's really a matter of her being willing to make things right.  At the moment she needs to show contrition and have a chance to work through the lawsuit and set up her community service or whatever. I'm sure Hallmark just realized that this is a mess that will take some time to settle. She can probably go back to work eventually. I can definitely see that and I, for one, will have no problem with that. It's rather like Martha Stewart. She'll need to serve her time (however the court deems necessary) and then she can take the road to recovery.  But for now they'll need to either recast or cancel the show. (imho)

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I disagree with all of this.  Donating money to a university in the hopes your child will be accepted is one thing - this is quite another.  If I were to donate money, many students at the school would benefit from the new library I donated, for example.  The only person who benefitted from this scheme is the guy who ran it. And sometimes people donate just because they want their name on the building, not necessarily to get their kid in.

What Loughlin and Huffman did was so much worse.  The out and out lied, faked test scores.  I don't know how they expected their kids to be able to stay in school once they got there.  I think it is despicable and I am so glad that Hallmark is DONE with her.  Her career is over.

• Love 13

I seriously doubt that anyone donates money to a university without knowing that their kids will get in one way or another. Everyone knows the quid pro quo involved. I bet the instances of huge donations that did not result in under qualified admissions is exactly zero. I don't have stats on that and I would be happy to see it if some looked it up. Lets quantify the grades and SAT scores of the children who got in when Daddy donated a library. I am confident that they will correlate.

Martha Stewart was another example of a selective prosecution of a big name by media hog prosecutors.

Brooke could step into both roles. Be the focus and star of WCTH and set up a series of mystery movies that will fill an hole in the Hallmark schedule.

Edited by langford peel
10 minutes ago, langford peel said:

Brooke could step into both roles. Be the focus and star of WCTH and set up a series of mystery movies that will fill an hole in the Hallmark schedule.

Brooke does do the Flower Shop Mysteries on Hallmark Movies & Mysterid already.