Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m new to this forum and this show, so forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong place. Just started to watch this show. Not bad, but did anyone else notice the timeline error in the episodes concerning Hally’s Comet?  I guessed the timeline was early 1900’s as the Comet appeared in 1910, but in the same episode Jack’s ex sang a song called “You made me love you”. This wasn’t written until 1913!

(edited)

I don't get it either. Unless it's changed through the years, Lori does multiple episodes at a time.  It allows her to not be away from home for very long.  Even with the limited filming days, she's in almost every episode. If he doesn't want to be in Vancouver, he can work out that kind of schedule. I don't know his career happenings well enough, but it doesn't seem like he has much going on. I know he did a Timeless episode but that was last year. 

He's missed so much that I keep waiting for Elizabeth to get bad news and he'll be gone for good. I'm almost to the point where I'd be okay with it. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Stuffy said:

I don't get it either. Unless it's changed through the years, Lori does multiple episodes at a time.  It allows her to not be away from home for very long.  Even with the limited filming days, she's in almost every episode. If he doesn't want to be in Vancouver, he can work out that kind of schedule. I don't know his career happenings well enough, but it doesn't seem like he has much going on. I know he did a Timeless episode but that was last year. 

He's missed so much that I keep waiting for Elizabeth to get bad news and he'll be gone for good. I'm almost to the point where I'd be okay with it. 

I'd like to know what's going on too.  If he can't do the show (for whatever reason), he should be written out.   Which to be honest would be good for Elizabeth's story--dealing with loosing her husband and of course she's then be free for a new suitor.  (I watch too many soaps, I guess).

• Love 1
(edited)
56 minutes ago, sas616 said:

I'd like to know what's going on too.  If he can't do the show (for whatever reason), he should be written out.   Which to be honest would be good for Elizabeth's story--dealing with loosing her husband and of course she's then be free for a new suitor.  (I watch too many soaps, I guess).

If it was a soap, she'd also be pregnant after he's gone from a brain tumor. Only for his secret fraternal twin to show up at the funeral.

It's fraternal because Dan won't be on the show anymore. Soaps would usually be identical twins. ?

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 2

It is odd. Did he have some family emergency or something? I looked on his imdb page and found nothing. I am assuming Jack and Elizabeth are a popular pairing, so to sideline half of it seems a bit weird. The show could do time jumps here and there to explain why he is around if they wanted to. Though I feel like the why is Daniel Lissing missing from episodes mystery is more entertaining than the actual show.

I want Elizabeth to catch scarlet fever or something. She miraculously survives with no lasting effects, but while she rages with fever they cut her hair, thus allowing Erin Krakow to act in her own hair and relieve us all of the horror of that wig. Seriously, it is distractingly awful.

• Love 5

His grandfather in Australia died---there is a link floating around to his appearance on the Hallmark talk show "Home and Family" where he talks about that and finding out when they were about to film the wedding scenes and some condolences posted on his Facebook page. I don't know what that all means for the show.

Spoiler

It means he's off the show.  The last episode for the season synopsis has been leaked with a photo and let's just say, we've seen the last of Jack.  The way the script has been written this season it appears that they expected Dan to stay for the rest of the season but once he left for the funeral, he must've decided to leave the show.  The way the land conflict was written and how in every episode that he's been gone since the wedding they've made a point to say it's temporary, makes me think they must've thought he'd be coming back.  On instagram though it was obvious he didn't return for the last month or so of filming.  Oddly he doesn't seem to have any projects going on either?  He was also at the Hallmark upfronts with his parents in February, so it's anyone's guess if he's done with the network, or just the show.

Regarding the spoiler posted in the season discussion thread...so Jack's dying?  I was worried after last night's episode, what with all of the "just two more months and then Jack will be home forever" as well as the "oh, I'm just training mounties, and that's not a dangerous job." 

Blech, this sucks to waste five seasons watching a couple, only for them to kill one half of the pairing off.  I'm not even that big of a fan of the pairing, since I'm pretty "meh" on Elizabeth, but this really sucks!

• Love 2
(edited)

(sigh) This show just gets more and more ridiculous!  The latest episode - the one where Carson performs surgery on his sister-in-law was bonkers! In no particular order, here were my problems with this episode:

1) After Carson and Faith perform MAJOR surgery, there is nary a speck of blood (or anything else) on their medical frocks. Nope, completely and totally spotless.

2) Lee and Rosemary hold vigil outside awaiting the surgery results for SOMEONE THEY NEVER MET! Furthermore, they weren't even introduced in-show, so when I say never met, I mean it!

3) Nosy Nellie (Elizabeth) and Alice Kravitz (Abigail) did stick their noses into something that's none of their business by bringing Mrs. Investor's son and his family to Hope Valley and of course there's a happy ending all around. All slights are totally and completely forgiven because

4) some little tyke, who has never met his grandmother all of a sudden cozies up to her and begs her not to go. Really? Would a small child just blurt out to a veritable stranger to stay?

5) Mr. Jenkins had until 4:00pm THAT DAY to get the paperwork in order or else Mr. Sleazy BankMan wasn't going to invest in the bank after all. Somehow, Elizabeth and Abigail were able to get Mrs. Investor's son and his family to Hope Valley lickety-split so the mom would invest in the bank after all. Did Liz and Abigail have a Star Trek transporter?!

6) Speaking of Mrs. Investor, she signed the documents meant to be signed by Mr. Sleazy BankMan!  Wouldn't his name and/or company be all over those documents, rather than HER name/company?!  Apparently, they must use Fill in the Blank forms all the time in Hope Valley.

You might be wondering...was there anything I liked about this episode? Well, yes actually. For a while now, I've felt the next couple to hook up should be Carson and Faith. Not only do they have their medical career in common, but they just seem like they'd be compatible as a couple. (I never felt any chemistry between Faith and Philip's dad, and given how he's never in the show, it'd be hard to develop a relationship between them). Of course in the "real world", there would be a conflict with Carson and Faith having a romantic relationship since they work together, but hey -  this is Hope Valley (Hallmark), I'm sure such a conflict wouldn't even be brought up! Given the adoring looks Faith bestowed on Carson in this episode, I hope I get my 'ship!

I'll hang in there and continue watching for any developments between Faith and Carson, and my OTP (well, OTP in my mind) Abigail and Henry (still the ONLY guy with whom I've ever felt her have any chemistry).

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 3

I can understand him taking (and the show giving him) some time off after his grandfather's passing, but that wouldn't explain his absence in so much of season 4 or that he'll end up missing most of season 5.  The whole thing is just odd.  It's a shame, I thought Jack and Elizabeth were one of those tv couples that just sparkled, but Jack being away off screen so much (as opposed to Jack being away, but us seeing his adventures) killed my tolerance for this show. 

• Love 4

I agree re the chemistry between Abigail and Henry. Even though it makes no sense for them to be together, they really do pair well. I had to ff the brain surgery plot because I just can’t with that. 

• Love 2
On April 9, 2018 at 7:14 PM, norcalgal said:

sigh) This show just gets more and more ridiculous!  The latest episode - the one where Carson performs surgery on his sister-in-law was bonkers! In no particular order, here were my problems with this episode:

Can I add one more?

7) Shepard and Faith come out after the surgery and tell everyone that sister-in-law will make a complete recovery.  As someone who has had a family member who had brain surgery, with all of the modern advances,  I know that it takes days, sometimes weeks to even know if there are complications such as paralysis, blindness, cognitive issues, etc.  

Spoiler

If Jack is not coming back I'm out of there.  I put up with all of the silliness and melodrama just because I enjoy the relationship between Elizabeth and Jack.  Erin's voice is whiney as it is, and I can't imagine how it would be if Elizabeth becomes a widow.  I'm afraid it would hurt my ears.

• Love 6
On 1/4/2018 at 12:46 PM, llewis823 said:

And one question - is there an "original movie" that aired before the tv show started? I heard talk of that in thread above but never heard of it.

FYI, in case you haven't seen it yet, check the Hallmark Channel listings. I think I saw a commercial this past Sunday that they're playing the original movie sometime very soon.

18 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

There's nothing on any social media about why.  I'm wondering, is this a fake-out?   Will something happen on the final show?

Why did the two ladies appear at the end and say something about they need the fans more than ever?

4 hours ago, Grumpbump said:

Why did the two ladies appear at the end and say something about they need the fans more than ever?

Probably because they know the fans are going to be very angry at the turn of events, especially the rabid Daniel Lissing fans.   I know that if he's really dead, I'll be long gone, not for any reason other than I just liked the Jack/Elisabeth story.   

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 3

Can't say I was surprised.  With the talk about Jack coming home in a couple of weeks, I saw the writing on the wall.  I sure hope they don't go with Jack missing.  If Daniel Lissing doesn't want to do the show, then just kill off the character and move on.  I'm about done with this show anyway.  That General Store scene with the basket of Hallmark bows about did it for me.  

• Love 3

I can't think of any reason I still watch this show.  I started watching during a period when most of my other shows were on hiatus and my dvr was empty.  It has gotten progressively more treacly and ridiculous.  The hair, makeup, costumes and Elizabeth's terrible wig are so distracting.   The Hallmark lettering on all the town signs is laughable.  The over-acting is so blatant, it seems to be deliberate.  The medical stuff....well I can't.  Even.   I know that Hallmark movies are fully formulaic, by design and I only watch when there's absolutely nothing else to watch.  Why they would develop a period series that is so totally not period, I can't imagine.   Don't know why I find it so hard to quit a show after watching it for a season or two, but if anything can get me to quit, WCTH is the one.  Sad. 

• Love 5

I'm thinking Jack is really dead.  Erin Krakow seemed a bit emotional when they showed her and Lori Loughlin begging "Hearties" to stick with them at the end of the episode. Also, there were some troubling signs leading up to last night's episode:

• Daniel Lissing missing for a large chunk of the recent episodes, and the show not bothering to follow Jack's story while he was away
  • Daniel Lissing returning after a long absence so Jack & Elizabeth could get married before promptly leaving again
  • All the talk about how Jack would be safe since he was only training mounties, and when he returned, he would be home forever

I don't know what the problem is, but I can't imagine Hallmark would have made the decision to kill off Jack without there being some sort of major problem or drama on Daniel Lissing's end.  If it's some sort of health issue with him or his family, I understand, but if it's something like a contract issue...well...that sucks!  I don't even care much for Elizabeth (I haaaate the way Erin Krakow plays her), but I've always liked Jack.  And I just think it's really crappy that the show drug (dragged??) this romance out for five seasons before realizing "oh crap, our lead guy is leaving! Hurry, let's throw together a wedding before we kill him off."  What a lovely reward for Jack/Elizabeth fans who followed the show for five season, huh?  Ugh.  Like I said, I don't even love the main couple that much, but I feel bad for their shippers, and Jack's death kind of retroactively ruins the whole show for me.  I might still watch because I like Rosemary and Lee, but I'm not looking forward to Elizabeth grieving before Hallmark tries to throw another guy at her (probably one that features regularly in their weekend movies).  

• Love 11

It looks like he is just moving on. On his Instagram, he just got new head shots and did a photo shoot. He was just in Mexico with his girlfriend and his buddies. I hope Elizabeth is not pregnant. Omg. There would be way too much whining and mournful gazing, if that is the case. 

• Love 1

I wonder if they ever considered just recasting the role?  I'm sure there would be some shippers who would lose their collective minds but I think most of us would have adjusted after a couple episodes.

• Love 3

I think Dan wanted out, and I think he wanted out last season which is why he was only in half of it.  It looks like he gave them time and they have him time to make an exit and/or rethink plans and the result is just killing Jack off.   Honestly, it ruins the whole show for me, the show has always been about the Jack/Elizabeth romance (no matter how the show has tried to make it about the women who have been unrealistically running the town).  The only way I could see Jack leaving to be satisfying for viewers would've been having Elizabeth leave as well.  Perhaps getting shipped to another outpost, but of course, that would've been unfair to Erin to have to leave the show just because Dan wanted to. 

My other favorite show I watched from the beginning was Once Upon A Time and they did the nearly the exact same thing last season.  The lead couple got married, the actress declared less than 12 hours after the wedding episode that she was leaving the show but her costar was staying.   They've used some kind of alternate reality this season to keep his character but not hers. 

No more getting attached to shows for me, they always end in a disappointing way.

Clearly Lori and Erin are doing damage control and they shouldn't have to, because Dan's the one who decided to leave.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I think Dan wanted out, and I think he wanted out last season which is why he was only in half of it.  It looks like he gave them time and they have him time to make an exit and/or rethink plans and the result is just killing Jack off.   Honestly, it ruins the whole show for me, the show has always been about the Jack/Elizabeth romance (no matter how the show has tried to make it about the women who have been unrealistically running the town).  The only way I could see Jack leaving to be satisfying for viewers would've been having Elizabeth leave as well.  Perhaps getting shipped to another outpost, but of course, that would've been unfair to Erin to have to leave the show just because Dan wanted to. 

I agree with your theory because it goes well with my own.

This is pure speculation, but I had the feeling in the first few seasons that Daniel and Erin might have been a RL couple... or at least were heading that way. It was something in the interviews and Twitter posts that gave me that impression.

Then suddenly he stopped appearing on Twitter with her and I didn't see them together in interviews, and about that time he disappeared from the show.  I also noticed some tension in their scenes together (and fewer of those), but that might just be my imagination.

So, basically, if there *had* been something off screen, then if he met someone new (or things just went wrong) that could have hurt their working relationship.  

A soured romance would explain a lot of this.  It's unprofessional, but I've seen it happen on other shows.

Bottom line for me, though, is that *he* is the only reason I watched.  I don't really like the way Erin plays Elizabeth and never have, so I'm out.

• Love 1

Yeah I don’t think it’s a soured relationship. I’d be more inclined to believe it might be weariness of obsessive fans that kept them from appearing together as much. They still hang out together and with Lori. Plus they both seem to be happy with other people.

Maybe Dan doesn’t want to be typecast as solely a Hallmark actor.  Also some actors don’t like working in Vancouver.

Has anyone read the books this series is based on? I’m wondering if any of this follows that storyline, which would help explain the choice to keep Jack away so much, or if the writers are having to make decisions based on the availability/offscreen issues with the actor.

18 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Has anyone read the books this series is based on? I’m wondering if any of this follows that storyline, which would help explain the choice to keep Jack away so much, or if the writers are having to make decisions based on the availability/offscreen issues with the actor.

If I remember correctly, Elizabeth is supposed to be related to the main character in the book.  I know it's not the same because they made a hallmark movie with different actors.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:24 PM, Angeleyes said:

Yes. Similarities between the show and the book series: Canada, schoolteacher, Mountie. That’s pretty much it.

• Love 1

I stopped watching the show after the episode where Jack returned. I just got tired of it. As someone said, why do a period show and then make it modern!  I have the remaining episodes on DVD but haven't been interested enough to watch them. After catching up by reading this forum, I'm not sure whether I'll watch the episodes or delete them.

• Love 3

I figured the kids should be making a cradle since her being preggers was a given.

OK. I came for the Mountie, I stayed for the Mountie, I managed to swim through an overwhelming tide of treacle, and now the Mountie is dead. I'm out. Treacle allergies preclude season 6 watching!

• Love 6

I think Dan wanted out, and I think he wanted out last season which is why he was only in half of it.  It looks like he gave them time and they have him time to make an exit and/or rethink plans and the result is just killing Jack off.   Honestly, it ruins the whole show for me, the show has always been about the Jack/Elizabeth romance (no matter how the show has tried to make it about the women who have been unrealistically running the town). 

I totally agree with this.  I thought it last season when he was only in a handful of episodes and I thought it this season when I found out he would only be in a handful of episodes.  Knowing that, I'm even a bit more steamed that they didn't marry them to one another earlier to at least give them some time of married happiness together before offing him.  Though I can do without ever seeing Jack in a bathrobe again (and it seems I won't have to!).

OK. I came for the Mountie, I stayed for the Mountie, I managed to swim through an overwhelming tide of treacle, and now the Mountie is dead. I'm out. Treacle allergies preclude season 6 watching!

Same here!  I actually hadn't watched last weeks episode because of family craziness, but now I just deleted last week's episode and this week's episode.  I'm free!  I think it's a bit sad when TV shows try to force a show to work without one of the mainstays....I think they should have ended the show gracefully (which reminds me how relieved I am that they never tried to keep Castle going without Stana Katic/Kate).

ETA:  I read an article where DL talks about writing a movie or show and how it's so much work and much harder than he anticipated.  Can't blame him for wanting to do something different or new...I just blame Hallmark for not ending it. 

Edited by VartanFan

If it's simply that he wanted out, then I'm completely puzzled that Hallmark apparently only locked him down for three seasons.  Talk about short-sighted.  Unless there were extenuating circumstances, I'd find it hard to believe that they'd just let him out of a longer term contract because he asked.  He wasn't playing a supporting character who is easily replaced. 

I didn't watch last night, but followed along on Twitter while watching something else.  Disappointing end to what was, at one time, one of the lovelier couples on tv.  Sure it's a treacly show, but I thought Jack and Elizabeth that that rare kind of tv chemistry that really works.  But Jack's constant absence just wore on me.  The only ep I ended up watching this season was the wedding.  I had the earlier eps where Jack came back saved up but just never got around to watching and deleted unwatched.  Like those upthread, I came for the Mountie, but having heard he'd be gone again I just lost interest on catching up and I'm just not interested enough in the rest.

There's a Facebook live chat tonight with Erin, Lori and Daniel (so it seems he left on good terms).  I confess, I am curious to find out what's said, but I won't be tuning in for more WCTH.

• Love 3

There's a Facebook live chat tonight with Erin, Lori and Daniel (so it seems he left on good terms).  I confess, I am curious to find out what's said, but I won't be tuning in for more WCTH.

Seems like super duper damage control to me.  Ah well. 

Hallmark:  "See 'Jack' told you to keep watching and the story will still be great!"

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JenMD said:

If it's simply that he wanted out, then I'm completely puzzled that Hallmark apparently only locked him down for three seasons.  Talk about short-sighted.  Unless there were extenuating circumstances, I'd find it hard to believe that they'd just let him out of a longer term contract because he asked.  He wasn't playing a supporting character who is easily replaced. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Don't actors usually sign 7 year contracts?   I read an article today where Lori stated it was his choice to leave and they wish him well.  But what is he leaving for?  He has nothing going on on his IMDB page.  Also, he probably could have done other work while still being on the show.   Its only 10 episodes and the other actors have more than one gig.  Maybe he thought Hallmark was holding him back because he is a serious actor :)  Its just strange because this has been going on for 2 seasons and you would think if he left because he wanted to pursue other things, some of those things would have come to light by now.

Anyway, he'll probably be back from the dead when he realizes he should have left his current gig without having a new one.  Or he'll be back for the last few episodes.  Mistaken identity!

• Love 2

I've read various things comparing this to Lady Sybil and then Matthew dying on Downton Abbey.  The show weathered both of those people dying and led to character development.  Supposedly Jack's death is the same thing.  Well I don't buy that at all.  Both of the deaths on DA were total surprises whereas the whole Jack thing was drawn out for almost a year.  He kept leaving and then coming back for part of an episode.  To be honest,  would have been happier if Jack did die suddenly.  I understand that Daniel wanted out, but that doesn't mean that Hallmark couldn't have handled this differently.  I feel as if Hallmark abused my love of the show.  

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I've read various things comparing this to Lady Sybil and then Matthew dying on Downton Abbey.  The show weathered both of those people dying and led to character development.  Supposedly Jack's death is the same thing.  Well I don't buy that at all.  Both of the deaths on DA were total surprises whereas the whole Jack thing was drawn out for almost a year.  He kept leaving and then coming back for part of an episode.  To be honest,  would have been happier if Jack did die suddenly.  I understand that Daniel wanted out, but that doesn't mean that Hallmark couldn't have handled this differently.  I feel as if Hallmark abused my love of the show.  

If I remember correctly, viewers were made aware that the actors playing Sybil and Matthew wanted to leave the show.   I think that's where Hallmark failed.  Daniel's leaving should have been announced in advance.  I would have preferred that he didn't return from his assignment last season and they not marry than have him knocked off a couple of weeks after the wedding.   Have the finale on DVR, but don't plan to watch the episode.  I'm out.

• Love 2

17  minutes into the podcast on Hallmark and I am not impressed with the excuses and the justifications---I miss a lot because my computer keeps freezing but really it sounds like "this is how we are going to explain" I have been here before with other shows-----I am not too interested without the mountie--Elizabeth facing life on her own with her pals just not anything I care much about---pretty sure I am out and I have not watched the last several episodes anyway---also a little too much forced laughter and apologizing

• Love 3

It's too bad Daniel took on a show not realizing he wouldn't stay for the entire run if it was successful.  Other actors would love to be in his shoes.  A few actors left successful roles because the grass looked greener  but didn't get far after ditching a successful role. I wonder if the mystery about his role the last two seasons was because there were ongoing negotiations with Hallmark behind the scenes trying to figure out a way to get him to stay on the show.

I caught the last half of the season finale. I agree with the comments about Elizabeth's wig. It is distracting.  I still find the show much too modern. Perhaps it would help if they brought more facts to the show about what was happening in 1915, if that is the time frame, and have someone review scripts to eliminate modern language and actions. They could bring out more about the times through school assignments.  That won't help the story lines as I expect Elizabeth will continue to teach in spite of the reality of the times.

• Love 1

The bob was just starting to come into style in 1915 but especially the '20s.  They should've scrapped the wig and had Elizabeth come back from Hamilton with a shorter but not quite bob haircut.  That wig has got to go.  

• Love 1