Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, lora said:

Regarding Lucas and Elizabeth, them getting engaged is the right thing to do. Their is no need for further delay. They have been together for a year now. Also, I like that they finished the season without them fighting or quarreling. 

I think just the opposite: they have spent a whole year in their "bubble" which means that they don't have a realistic view of each other. 

Lucas has become a bore. How can any woman love a man who has no goals in his life but love? 

• Like 1
On 9/8/2022 at 6:53 AM, Roseanna said:

I think just the opposite: they have spent a whole year in their "bubble" which means that they don't have a realistic view of each other. 

Lucas has become a bore. How can any woman love a man who has no goals in his life but love? 

IS it actually supposed to be a year, though? I admit to being confused by these 10/12 episode Hallmark seasons, which usually seem to start with back to school IIRC, but end up having all these holidays tossed in. (The whole Hope Valley Days thing this past season really didn't help either, lol)

I disagree about Lucas having no goals except love, though. From the start we've seen he had a lot of career-oriented goals - and he still does. And back when we first met him, you could almost have said love was not at all on his radar. IMO he was initially attracted to Elizabeth, but in a superficial way like he had no doubt been attracted to any number of girls and women over the years. It seemed to me like Lucas was a handsome charmer who who accustomed to having women swoon over him with very little effort on his end. When Elizabeth didn't fit the mold so soon after Jack's death, Lucas seemed driven to "win" her attention - and then with time to truly care about her as a person.

Also, we've seen evidence - more with each season - that Lucas cares about his colleagues and neighbors. He's been genuinely worried about Henry during his health issues, and - right or wrong - helped bring Christopher to Hope Valley so he and his father could make amends.

Prior to that, Lucas was willing to help Nathan - he trusted him with a large amount of cash, no questions asked. And he had always looked out for Allie, even that first day when he didn't actually know her and she was playing hooky from school.

It's no small thing in this world for someone to go out of their way for others.

YMMV, of course.

• Love 3
On 9/11/2022 at 12:51 AM, SnarkySheep said:

IS it actually supposed to be a year, though? I admit to being confused by these 10/12 episode Hallmark seasons, which usually seem to start with back to school IIRC, but end up having all these holidays tossed in. (The whole Hope Valley Days thing this past season really didn't help either, lol)

I disagree about Lucas having no goals except love, though. From the start we've seen he had a lot of career-oriented goals - and he still does. And back when we first met him, you could almost have said love was not at all on his radar. IMO he was initially attracted to Elizabeth, but in a superficial way like he had no doubt been attracted to any number of girls and women over the years. It seemed to me like Lucas was a handsome charmer who who accustomed to having women swoon over him with very little effort on his end. When Elizabeth didn't fit the mold so soon after Jack's death, Lucas seemed driven to "win" her attention - and then with time to truly care about her as a person.

Also, we've seen evidence - more with each season - that Lucas cares about his colleagues and neighbors. He's been genuinely worried about Henry during his health issues, and - right or wrong - helped bring Christopher to Hope Valley so he and his father could make amends.

Prior to that, Lucas was willing to help Nathan - he trusted him with a large amount of cash, no questions asked. And he had always looked out for Allie, even that first day when he didn't actually know her and she was playing hooky from school.

It's no small thing in this world for someone to go out of their way for others.

YMMV, of course.

Lucas is boring. He was exciting and mysterious in season 6. Then they neutered him to fit Elizabeth. His story in season 9? Going to oil meetings. Exciting stuff. And they tried to make him perfect, especially with Jack. This is a guy who showed little to no interest in Little Jack or children to suddenly becoming a great dad. You can't tell me there was no struggle? Then that scene where he is throwing the ball in the class with the kids? Trying to make him into a discount Jack. Jack always went to the schoolhouse. And baseball was Jack's thing. Go back and watch the seasons with Jack. They are trying to copy that now. They said Nathan would have been a repeat storyline but it's Lucas.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Guest 30 said:

Lucas is boring. He was exciting and mysterious in season 6. Then they neutered him to fit Elizabeth. His story in season 9? Going to oil meetings. Exciting stuff. And they tried to make him perfect, especially with Jack. This is a guy who showed little to no interest in Little Jack or children to suddenly becoming a great dad. You can't tell me there was no struggle? Then that scene where he is throwing the ball in the class with the kids? Trying to make him into a discount Jack. Jack always went to the schoolhouse. And baseball was Jack's thing. Go back and watch the seasons with Jack. They are trying to copy that now. They said Nathan would have been a repeat storyline but it's Lucas.

I can see your POV to some extent...however, one strong theme of this entire show has been characters growing and changing over time.

Remember Season 1 Henry? Would that guy even recognize the version of himself this past season, begging a pastor to help him pray? Or the Rosemary we first met - would she have wanted to stay in one small town, let alone so fervently hope to become a mother? If you recall, Jesse - who spent seasons trying to be good enough to deserve Clara's love - initially arrived in town sneering at his friend Pastor Frank's wanting to settle down and expressing interest in courting Abigail. He literally could not believe anyone he knew could want that kind of life.

So, with all this in mind, no, I don't have a problem with Lucas now being more child-friendly and domestic-minded than he might have seemed before. Most of us change in various ways IRL as time passes, and the same happens in Hope Valley. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So, it looks like Hope Valley's next life is going to be as a tourist spa town, where la-de-dahs will come to "take the waters".

Okay. I can see some storyline mileage coming from that. It's going to be a different kind of show though. 

Not that I mind.

• Like 2

For crying out loud, this show needs to stop trying to make Nathan and Faith happen.

Also: the Coulter baby has to be a girl and they absolutely MUST name it Mia. I have spoken.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
On 8/7/2023 at 4:37 PM, sharifa70 said:

For crying out loud, this show needs to stop trying to make Nathan and Faith happen.

Also: the Coulter baby has to be a girl and they absolutely MUST name it Mia. I have spoken.

I don't mind the actress that portrays Faith but sheesh...they have NO chemistry. And...when her and Nathan are taking the horses out on a call...and SHE HAS TO TAKE THE REIGNS. blech...I was thinking...bitch please!!!

This season is really dragging for me...JMO

• Like 1
On 8/14/2023 at 8:58 PM, SHERMDOG said:

This season is really dragging for me...JMO

I whole series has been dragging for me for the past few years.   I came across the show on Prime the other day and decided to start back at the beginning.   What a difference.   What we're seeing now is nothing like the original concept for the show.   Of course, Ned Gowan was the big baddie back then and many of the characters are long gone.   But they were REAL.   Now everyone is just so darn NICE.   Even Elizabeth is nothing like she is now.  And she had better hair!  LOL.   

I am thisclose to What Does Lucas See In Elizabeth? territory. I was firmly Team Lucas and still think he is miles and miles better than Nathan, but now I’m seriously starting to wonder what’s in it for him. Elizabeth never seems to do anything for him. The wedding has to be her way, staying in Hope Valley has to be her way, and now he can’t even build her a house in the same freaking town, where she’ll still be able to see her precious Rosemary every freaking day? LUCAS HAS A CAR. Will probably buy one for Elizabeth. But nope, he’s no doubt going to be expected to move into the tiny house and live 100% according to Elizabeth’s paltry teacher means.

It’s easy to forget that although Elizabeth was married, she really never had to learn to be a wife.

Oh: “date night?” /eyeroll. OMG I seriously think I hate this show now. I could not care less about Jack and the Shady Mystery Widow (who’s out to contaminate the town’s water or something). Faith still has zero chemistry with anyone in town, Fiona has nothing to do, and at least Allie isn’t getting enough screen time for me to want to throw things at the tv.

As God is my witness, at this point the only way this show can be redeemed is if Baby Coulter gets named Mia, because it would show me there’s at least one writer who isn’t a complete idiot.

Edited by sharifa70
Proofreading
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

I hereby decree that every episode going forward must have a generous serving of Goldie (I'm glad she finally has a name, because thinking of her as Rosemary's Baby just felt wrong, lol!). 

She's just the cutest little nugget!🥰

• LOL 2
On 9/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, TVForever said:

I hereby decree that every episode going forward must have a generous serving of Goldie (I'm glad she finally has a name, because thinking of her as Rosemary's Baby just felt wrong, lol!). 

She's just the cutest little nugget!🥰

She is absolutely the best character. 

So it looks like Show has finally gotten tired of trying to make Nathan and Faith happen. Thank Goodness, because they were just zzz.......

Except, why is milquetoast Goldilocks Faith the one doing the dumping? Tall, Dashing, and Handsome Mountie Nathan is starting to look awfully thirsty, having now fallen for (and been dumped by) Elizabeth, Mei Sue, and now Faith. 

I've always thought that he and Fiona might make a good match. Wink, wink! 

Okay, now that Bill (and everyone else) is coming to realize he was duped by the lovely widow, we get this season's Big Bad. Who is this guy, and what nefarious doings are he and his band of sinister-looking associates up to? Don't we go through this every season? Have we seen the last of the widow and her son? So many questions...

Is it just me, or does Elizabeth seem more Goody Two Shoes Self-Righteous than she used to? 

• Like 2

I'm surprised I liked the scene's of Elizabeth's freak out and Henry trying to talk to her.  It's actually interesting considering she's been going to the grave more and with her moving onto a new marriage could have her feeling guilty of leaving her life with Jack behind. 

Nathan possibly hurt would likely bring those feelings up too.  I think it's more about Jack and her pending wedding than the horrible triangle returning again.  

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 1

So, the governor is a conniving crook…

All of Elizabeth’s Ominous Looks — especially at the end of the episode — are making it look like she’s having second thoughts about marrying Lucas. Good grief, not Nathan again.

When Lee mentioned Goldie being so innocent before he and Rosemary left for the ball, did anyone else get a bad feeling she was going to be kidnapped while they were out?

On 10/4/2023 at 1:38 AM, CarpeFelis said:

So, the governor is a conniving crook…

All of Elizabeth’s Ominous Looks — especially at the end of the episode — are making it look like she’s having second thoughts about marrying Lucas. Good grief, not Nathan again.

When Lee mentioned Goldie being so innocent before he and Rosemary left for the ball, did anyone else get a bad feeling she was going to be kidnapped while they were out?

I didn’t even think of a kidnapping. I thought they were going to chicken out of going to the ball and use the baby as an excuse. 

The governor election makes me wonder if the actor playing Lucas is leaving the show. If he’s elected governor, it’s an easy out where Elizabeth can break off the engagement and Lucas leaves town, leaving Nathan to comfort her. 

• Useful 1

Since she wasn't willing to even move across town for him, hard to believe Elizabeth would leave Hope Valley for another town - especially one where he'd be the star and not her.

Have not enjoyed watching Lucas cater (and cave) to her every whim, with her giving him absolutely nothing in return. Don't want to see Nathan, who has finally acquired a functioning personality, meet the same fate.

• Like 5
On 8/28/2023 at 2:46 PM, sharifa70 said:

I am thisclose to What Does Lucas See In Elizabeth? territory. I was firmly Team Lucas and still think he is miles and miles better than Nathan, but now I’m seriously starting to wonder what’s in it for him. Elizabeth never seems to do anything for him. The wedding has to be her way, staying in Hope Valley has to be her way, and now he can’t even build her a house in the same freaking town, where she’ll still be able to see her precious Rosemary every freaking day? LUCAS HAS A CAR. Will probably buy one for Elizabeth. But nope, he’s no doubt going to be expected to move into the tiny house and live 100% according to Elizabeth’s paltry teacher means.

It’s easy to forget that although Elizabeth was married, she really never had to learn to be a wife.

I'm there and the house was what really pointed out her selfishness for me. Why shouldnt this man with means want to build and live in a home that reflects him and the comforts he would like in life? Also, the Coulters are not broke or am I missing something? I don't know why they don't build a house somewhere else either. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, BluBarbi98 said:

I'm there and the house was what really pointed out her selfishness for me. Why shouldnt this man with means want to build and live in a home that reflects him and the comforts he would like in life? Also, the Coulters are not broke or am I missing something? I don't know why they don't build a house somewhere else either. 

Maybe it’s a Gift of the Magi thing. They’re staying close to Elizabeth, who’s staying close to them. They should just build a compound and both families can share. 

OK - take back what I said about Nathan. After tonight, he absolutely deserves to fall into Elizabeth's emasculating clutches. Lucas is well rid of her.

Speaking of Lucas - isn't he from New Orleans or someplace else in the States? And wouldn't he need to be a Canadian citizen to be eligible to run for governor?

Speaking of elections - wouldn't this be the first time Canadian women are allowed to vote? Some might consider that point worth mentioning.

This show ...

• Useful 1

In Canada, there's no Governors or Governor elections.  They follow a Parliament like UK.  So this election isn't based on Canada.  

The train station scene was well done, so was Elizabeth breaking down to Rosemary.  

Seems like they're going for Nathan's hostage taking triggered her feelings. She realized she could still lose him while being with the safe choice? It is interesting twist, I enjoyed Nathan this season I hope they don't ruin him. Even him and Lucas has been great together. 

This season ending twist has been pretty interesting. I thought it would follow bore path of marriage and new baby. 

Ugh...just watched episode 9.if Elizabeth goes and dumps Lucas for Nathan I'm going to have a come apart!! And I will stop watching this deteriorating show!

I'm prolly in the minority but I like Lucas!

Ok...done ranting....on to episode 10

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This show is such a laugh but not in a funny, ha, ha way but in sardonic way. This show stopped being your typical Hallmark feel good show that most people want when they watch Hallmark when they killed Mountie Jack. That killed most of us and Erin and Co. loved our anger and hurt because it gave them ratings and social media posts. I stopped watching Hallmark regularly after that as I understood the sea-change that happened. They turned a sweet story about a Teacher and Mountie (who should have bene married now 5 years with at least two kids and a town with episodic issues to solve) into a cheap Soap Opera. So anyone not expecting them to pit us against each other by taking sides then flipping the winner was not paying attention. And perhaps it's best not too.

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, SHERMDOG said:

Ugh...just watched episode 9.if Elizabeth goes and dumps Lucas for Nathan I'm going to have a come apart!! And I will stop watching this deteriorating show!

I'm prolly in the minority but I like Lucas!

Ok...done ranting....on to episode 10

As much as I’ve enjoyed snarking on this show, I think I’m over it as well. Lucas deserves better.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I like them both, I just wanted the horrible triangle to end. As long as no triangle I'm good with her trying with Nathan and the twist of her not choosing him because of her fears of losing him, good tie in to Jack. 

I didn't find Lucas best match because he was always having to bend for her choices if this continued. No house across town, so for sure she wasn't moving 18 hrs away.  

• Like 1

But the triangle did end when she chose Lucas on the bridge (in what was a really romantic scene! you don't have a scene like that if it's not going to be endgame, that's just dumb). If they were going to resurrect it a full season later, they should have just had her choose Nathan to begin with (or at least not made a choice at the time). She even accepted Lucas's proposal (in another good scene) with absolutely no indication at the time that she was hesitant or didn't mean it. Terrible writing, and jerks around the viewers and hurts Lucas for no good reason (and now he's basically forced into this governor's race to save the town after getting his heart broken, while nobody else in the town is willing to sacrifice for it).

If she breaks off an engagement with Lucas (who did nothing to deserve this) only to turn around and get with Nathan one episode later, that just speaks poorly of Elizabeth. (And, again, terrible writing.)

Edited by redpencil
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Were this a better written show, this ambivalence on her part would be a red flag  that maybe she's not ready to move on from Jack.  It's completely understandable to think you've moved on, since you're not crying yourself to sleep every night, but when it comes time to actually imagine a new life with a new person, you can't do it.  You don't want the new house, you don't want to move hours away, and you're triggered by someone in the same profession possibly losing his life.  She's not ready, and she might never be ready.  She might be a swan who mated for life.  That's okay.  Women's lives don't have to revolve around love, she can find something else to do with herself.  And she has the Coulters, she has her girlfriends, she has her profession.  Not being with a guy doesn't mean she'll be alone.  

But, this is not a well written show, so it's just rehashing the love triangle that went on forever because the writers are out of ideas.  I thought the promo picture for this season -- the one of Elizabeth wistfully looking into the distance fading into a picture of the schoolhouse -- was lovely.  Hallmark's graphic designers are better than their writers.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, redpencil said:

But the triangle did end when she chose Lucas on the bridge (in what was a really romantic scene! you don't have a scene like that if it's not going to be endgame, that's just dumb). If they were going to resurrect it a full season later, they should have just had her choose Nathan to begin with (or at least not made a choice at the time). 

Yes the triangle ended, but it doesn't look like this is a resurrection. Instead it's a she chose wrong over fear over Nathan.  Which does make sense and an interesting twist. 

Nathan isn't and hasn't been chasing her, his concern with asking her what she wanted was based on her miserable face he saw. Which had him as a friend push her to see what she wants to make herself happy, just like Rosemary did. 

• Like 1

I read an article that the new writers knew from episode one of this season that they knew there would be no wedding and thought this ending would give them many more creative opportunities going forward. I think they are going to add Nathan to the mix but not sure how that will turn out. The Elizabeth character is the least interesting and has the most airtime. 
and what's up with them all having so many clothing changes, no dirt, no rainy days, no manure in the streets. So much like real life back then, right?

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I read an article that the new writers knew from episode one of this season that they knew there would be no wedding and thought this ending would give them many more creative opportunities going forward. I think they are going to add Nathan to the mix but not sure how that will turn out. The Elizabeth character is the least interesting and has the most airtime. 
and what's up with them all having so many clothing changes, no dirt, no rainy days, no manure in the streets. So much like real life back then, right?

And it's even worse when the writers run out of fresh new idea for the character. The same thing happened to the character of Oliva Pope on Scandal.

• Like 2
On 10/10/2023 at 8:19 AM, dubstepford wife said:

It's completely understandable to think you've moved on, since you're not crying yourself to sleep every night, but when it comes time to actually imagine a new life with a new person, you can't do it.  You don't want the new house, you don't want to move hours away, and you're triggered by someone in the same profession possibly losing his life.  She's not ready, and she might never be ready.  She might be a swan who mated for life.  That's okay.  Women's lives don't have to revolve around love, she can find something else to do with herself.  And she has the Coulters, she has her girlfriends, she has her profession.  Not being with a guy doesn't mean she'll be alone.  

I think you’ve hit the nail right on the head, because this is exactly where I am, too. My sweet hubby’s been gone 3 years and I’m no where ready to even THINK of anyone else much less go out with one. I think I’m a swan who mated for life. Well put.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, Artsda said:

Yes the triangle ended, but it doesn't look like this is a resurrection. Instead it's a she chose wrong over fear over Nathan.  Which does make sense and an interesting twist.

That's definitely how they're writing it, but there were absolutely no hints or foreshadowing until the last few episodes. If this was the plan the whole time, there would have at least been some subtle clues to it back when she chose Lucas and then accepted his proposal.

This is the new writers throwing away and ignoring things that happened before in service of their own (bad, IMO) ideas. I know the new writers had nothing to do with anything that happened before they were in charge, but you're a writer. Come up with an idea that doesn't jerk around the viewers and ignore what's already happened on your show. This is lack of creativity, in my mind. Not an effort for more creativity. It's like the whole stupid Moonlighting curse myth. If your show suffers because you got a couple together, that's because you don't know how to write for them after they get together.

• Like 6
On 10/11/2023 at 8:13 AM, lookeyloo said:

I don't know if you've hopped on the IMDB pages for this show, but some episodes of trivia, and the trivia is just calling out the historical inaccuracies on the show. It's amazing.  

• Like 2

Wow. Did they hire writers from the afternoon soaps, who have to keep shuffling couples around? Or just a bunch of hacks who can’t make up their minds where the storyline should go?

What next—someone’s Evil Twin comes to Hope Valley starting trouble?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 10/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, MollyMelrose said:

Have not enjoyed watching Lucas cater (and cave) to her every whim, with her giving him absolutely nothing in return. Don't want to see Nathan, who has finally acquired a functioning personality, meet the same fate.

Lucas and Nathan both deserve better than Elizabeth.

Elizabeth’s can’t-make-up-her-mind whiplash is getting ridiculous. Between that and her being Little Miss Perfect and apparently the only person in Hope Valley we’re supposed to care about, I just can’t stand her.

Next thing you know, she’ll be engaged to Nathan. But wait… they make it to the altar and suddenly Jack (possibly recast) comes bursting in… he never really died, just wandered around with amnesia for a few years. And then someone’s Evil Twin comes to town…

That would be even more ridiculous but the writing on this show is so bad I could see it happening.

• LOL 5