Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Guest 30 said:

But why did they have to do at Nathan's expense? This whole storyline could have been written a different way.

Nothing was at Nathan’s expense; he didn’t lose anything except a chance at revenge. He was injured and recovered, Newton was injured but recovered, and the incident set up Mei and Nathan’s relationship. Sure, it sucks that Nathan isn’t going to get justice for his personal non-life-threatening, non-debilitating injuries, but that guy was a lackey who caused that accident while committing a crime for a much bigger fish whose imprisonment will do far more for the community as a whole than some patsy getting a fine and a slap on the wrist because there was no permanent damage. This wasn’t exactly Sophie’s Choice. They’re letting a minnow go so they can keep the shark. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, lora said:

Did they ever mention that Lucas was in some dirty dealings before he came to Hope Valley?

I think it was touched upon in the last episode. [Forgive me, I was hitting the FF button] But early in the episode, before the hit & run guy told Bill he planted the crooked books in Lucas's office, someone asked someone else if they thought Lucas could be guilty and the person said in reply something about Lucas's shady past...? 

42 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Nothing was at Nathan’s expense; he didn’t lose anything except a chance at revenge. He was injured and recovered, Newton was injured but recovered, and the incident set up Mei and Nathan’s relationship. Sure, it sucks that Nathan isn’t going to get justice for his personal non-life-threatening, non-debilitating injuries, but that guy was a lackey who caused that accident while committing a crime for a much bigger fish whose imprisonment will do far more for the community as a whole than some patsy getting a fine and a slap on the wrist because there was no permanent damage. This wasn’t exactly Sophie’s Choice. They’re letting a minnow go so they can keep the shark. 

I'm with getting hit & run guy to testify in return for immunity.  Sorry Nathan, but "the greater good" and all that...

As for what I bolded, it seems pretty clear the show is setting up Faith and Nathan.

First, WCTH brings in a new character (and a POC at that!) as a potential love interest for Nathan but create such a dumb storyline for her/past that she's now seemingly gone from the show. Why even bother bringing her into the show in the first place?

Second, having Faith and Nathan develop romantic feelings for each other doesn't say much for Faith (so much for her Grand Love with Carter!) or Nathan's character (oh well, the woman I was sort of interested is gone, so I'll go for her friend instead!). Strike two for Nathan:  how quickly he went from "in love" with Elizabeth to romantic interest in Mei, and now interest in Faith.

The last episode was the first time I recall a scene with just Nathan and Fiona since I learned the two actors were dating IRL. I guess WCTH didn't want to hook up their characters in case they had a bad breakup IRL, thus making it awkward on the set.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

it seems pretty clear the show is setting up Faith and Nathan.

First, WCTH brings in a new character (and a POC at that!) as a potential love interest for Nathan but create such a dumb storyline for her/past that she's now seemingly gone from the show. Why even bother bringing her into the show in the first place?

I’m going back and forth on this one. I’m holding out hope that the show will let Nathan and Faith be just friends, but I’m afraid you might be right. 

On 4/26/2022 at 10:12 AM, Guest 30 said:

I don't get how this show gets such good ratings when the writing is terrible

…and the ridiculous costuming anachronisms.

20 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Go to the pharmacy/ice cream shop, Rosemary, and pick up a pioneer brand pregnancy test

These writers care so little about any semblance of historical accuracy I wouldn’t put it past them to have her do exactly that!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Nothing was at Nathan’s expense; he didn’t lose anything except a chance at revenge. He was injured and recovered, Newton was injured but recovered, and the incident set up Mei and Nathan’s relationship. Sure, it sucks that Nathan isn’t going to get justice for his personal non-life-threatening, non-debilitating injuries, but that guy was a lackey who caused that accident while committing a crime for a much bigger fish whose imprisonment will do far more for the community as a whole than some patsy getting a fine and a slap on the wrist because there was no permanent damage. This wasn’t exactly Sophie’s Choice. They’re letting a minnow go so they can keep the I gu

I guess since I don't have a hard on for Lucas, I see this was a messed up situation. If Lucas was truly innocent, the evidence would have proved that. But they didn't go this way because the writing is lazy

And don't worry, the boring Mei will be back in episode 12. 

37 minutes ago, Guest 30 said:

I guess since I don't have a hard on for Lucas, I see this was a messed up situation.

Way to keep the discussion respectful and polite.

1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

These writers care so little about any semblance of historical accuracy I wouldn’t put it past them to have her do exactly that!

For a tiny, tiny second when Faith talked about a bug that was going around, I thought “Spanish Flu reference - impossible!” I knew it was going to be a pregnancy but my brief glimmer of hope made me laugh. 

• Love 3

I'm just waiting for them to tell us Bill is dying! A few episodes back, they had him coughing up blood into a handkerchief - and that was classic TV shorthand for tuberculosis. But then he's going around randomly trying to hold in his coughing and insisting he's ok for several episodes since...AND he's continuing to cook and serve food in the cafe. If he really does have TB, so will half of Hope Valley.

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm just waiting for them to tell us Bill is dying! A few episodes back, they had him coughing up blood into a handkerchief - and that was classic TV shorthand for tuberculosis. But then he's going around randomly trying to hold in his coughing and insisting he's ok for several episodes since...AND he's continuing to cook and serve food in the cafe. If he really does have TB, so will half of Hope Valley.

That's how the show ends lol. Everyone dies from TB.

It feels like the show is trying to tie up ALL the loose ends. Rosemary pregnant? Sure, how long have they been married? The actress is mid forties and the actor is early 50’s but I’m never sure how old their characters are supposed to be. If they don’t keep her pregnant it will be too sad for the show

Love interest for Nathan, well Mai is out of town, so Faith looks good now? What was the point of Mai then? A rebound?

Bill is dying or something? And Molly is doomed to remain a widow? Even though he’s never really showed an interest.

Lucas is writing Liz a letter but she doesn’t open it this week? Really?

What little spark the show has is currently missing, especially since the best thing to happen was Henry blowing up the mine.

• Love 1

So ...

Henry blows up the mine, causing Bad Guy and Bad Guy Protege to leave town. Bad Guy Protege offers Lee a job. Any response from Lee before BGP drives away?

Florence yells at Lucas for his part in the mine shenanigans, but gives Fiona, whose suspect negotiating skills created a good portion of the mess, a pass. Then she does a bunch of pirouettes.

Nathan and Faith. Are they the new Flirty McFlirtersons or are they still pining over Mei/Elizabeth and Carson?

Did Lucas give Elizabeth the ring? Are they engaged? Why is he horsing around? And why wasn't Elizabeth interested in reading the note Lucas left for her?

What's in the note from Minnie's father that's making her and Joseph so snarly? And does anybody really care?

And, as mentioned above, will any of this really matter if Bill has spread TB across the greater Hope Valley region?

• Love 1

Maybe Bill has the Spanish Flu?

I am surprised there’s been no effort in getting a lasting match for Nathan this season.

I also think it’s strange that the show keeps mentioning Carson. Carson doesn’t make an appearance this season, why not just let him fade out? 

14 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I also think it’s strange that the show keeps mentioning Carson. Carson doesn’t make an appearance this season, why not just let him fade out? 

Well, but he may come back next season (if there is one). The actor just took a leave this season because his partner was expecting a baby during the time of filming and he didn't want to leave her.

More curious to me is how they keep mentioning Abigail, after being so adamant they didn't want LL back. I can understand them kind of having to mention her in reference to the Canfields buying into the cafe, but having Henry write her letters and visit her, or her calling to wish Elizabeth a happy birthday? That's going out of your way to keep the character relevant. 

Was it me or did the I love you's from Elizabeth and Lucas seem void of any emotion. Maybe I'm setting my standards too high but when Jack and Elizabeth said I love yous in the mine, it seemed special. This did not feel special. 

• Love 1

Is there a pool going if Bill will survive past this season? From the next preview, it looks like there will be a fire at the saloon. What if Bill goes in and after the fire is put out he starts coughing and falls to the ground. Screen goes black and we don't know if old Billy makes it. I'm saying Bill doesn't make it

(edited)

So is the pregnancy a goodbye to Lee and Rosemary?  A goodbye to the show in case it isn't renewed or a plot for Rosemary if Lee is killed in the saloon fire as, you know, everybody in Hope Valley needs to be widowed at least once.   It is a law.   

Why haven't they sent Bill to get x-rays in some place that has an x-ray machine?  

Can they not have so many people on set (Covid restrictions)  explaining why Hope Valley is a revolving door these days or can they not afford to pay all the actors all the time.  I just feel like everybody is in and out and in and out and in and out and it is a little incohesive.

People did travel in the 19teens.   I love reading old newspapers and it was really common to hear about so and so going off visiting to such and such a place and coming back and so it happened.  But Hope Valley's these days is a bouncing ball.

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Why haven't they sent Bill to get x-rays in some place that has an x-ray machine?  

Faith kept trying a few episodes ago (when he coughed blood into his handkerchief) but he refused to go every time.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 1:38 PM, lora said:

In my opinion Lucas isn't Jack and Elizabeth isn't that 20 something young women who came to Hope Valley nine or ten years ago. Also, maybe this the first time they said the ILY to each other, but they expressed their love for one another so many times before, starting with the "has fallen deeply" in season eight which was very deep and emotional. And having Elizabeth's relationship with Lucas mimic hers with Jack would be weak and boring. I guess that's one of the reasons she didn't end up with Nathan.

As much as I am a fan of Jack and as much I hated killing him off, at this point it is very obvious that Elizabeth has only eyes for Lucas, and she is so much invested in that relationship that I doubt if Jack turns out to be a live, she would go back to him. JMHO.

May be he should stay single for a while to figure out what he really wants. I must say that without pining over Elizabeth he is much more likeable, especially with all these corny jokes. It is obvious though that they are setting him up with Faith. Which would be bad especially if Carson comes back. Then we will suffer a quadrangle.

She is probably not worried anymore. And he's probably horsing around to find a new place to live and to buy a ring.

I wouldn't mind if bad guy protege is Fiona's new love interest.

She also slapped poor Henry. Double standards much.

If Jack were alive, she would go back to him. They were married. Also, Elizabeth is just "moving on" with Lucas. JMHO

• Love 1

I think it would depend a lot on the circumstances of Jack's return but I think her picking him is a much different question also to them working out.  They were married for a minute.  And Elizabeth has lived a world of time since then and whatever circumstances has kept Jack away from his family for all these years has also either meant he's lived a world of time and experiences mostly bad in that time or he's been unconscious somewhere literally not living any kind of life and expecting the world to be how it was when he left it.   Neither of those would make for smooth sailing for them.  

• Love 1

Nathan needs to go outside Hope Valley to find a woman. These are the two picks:

Mei. She has the personality of a tree. They decided to go all Heartland with her being a horse whisperer. They also dress her in immature closing.

Faith: better than last year but also a boring character. Might be suffering from Florence nightingale effect. She thinks and calls Carson still but now has feelings for Nathan. She also is Elizabeth lite. Seems like a nag.

Fiona would be fun but I doubt they'll go that way. There's also Molly but she might be a little old for Nathan. 

• Love 1
(edited)

0.thumb.jpeg.dd3709667756c1c88abfd0dd82e92fa6.jpegInteresting ...

Had Hallmark on getting ready this morning and saw in the corner of the screen: One Day Until SERIES Finale of When Calls the Heart.

A simple mistake, or has some schmuck spilled the beans?

Edited by MollyMelrose
  • Useful 3
(edited)

That's really sudden if it's the case.  Hallmark cancelled Chesapeake but they said the the final season would be the last, and Chesapeake doesn't have the same kind of following, one that I know of at least.  I don't recall seeing any chatter about this being the last season of WCtH.

I actually feel like this season has a feeling of penultimate finality to it.  A lot of loose ends are getting tied up, but there are also a lot of open questions.  If they want to fit in a resolution of Liz and Lucas (i.e., them getting married and having more kids), who Nathan ends up with (if anyone), what happens to Fiona/Mei/Faith, does Henry leave to get back with Abigail, does Abigail ever come back, is Bill dying, etc.  I feel like they'd need another season to answer all of these questions, since that's a lot of stuff to conclude in a single episode, if this week's episode is the last.  They could also maybe be going to way of Good Witch as well, where the series wraps as a show but they do movies/Christmas specials about it.

Edited to Add: I also know, via a study abroad I did in college, that in Australia at least, "series" = what Americans think of as "season."  Is it the same in Canada?  Is this just a terminology mix-up?

Edited by dubstepford wife

I wouldn't be surprised if hallmark pulled the plug on this show. The writing has been awful the last two seasons. Hallmark green lit a new series. Maybe they want to start fresh in 2023

They have lost about 200k viewers from last season. Thry aren't getting two viewers for every one lost. Their viewer demo is way down which is weird because they said that chosing Lucas would bring in that key demo. It costs a lot to make. From a business viewpoint, it would be wise to pull the plug. 

47 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

160112245_ScreenShot2022-05-21at2_17_25PM.thumb.png.49c620d95425ae76e03b98cbaa08b828.png

Ok, if this had been the series finale, I would have tuned in, but since it’s just the season finale I will not watch.  (Already deleted this from my DVR).

• LOL 4

I think the show will be back.  It’s the highest rated thing on the network. Chris McNally has been cast in other series though so I don’t know what they’ll do there. They typically film July-November/December, I suppose it would depend on his contract. I would think Erin would want to move on, 9 years is forever in tv time, but all of the characters are aging. It would take several new cast members to pull off several more years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the old network boss that is  poaching everyone to GAC tried to take this show too. 

That certainly could have been the series finale, with Elizabeth and Lucas walking into the sunset together and all.

The Coulters expecting. Rosemary pregnant has some serious comedy potential.

And Nathan. The guy grew a delightfully snarky sense of humor this season. If nothing else, he could be great fun keeping the Bouchards in check when either Lucas, or more likely and more often, Elizabeth, got too full of themselves.

Wonder if the chance of GAC Family picking up the show if Hallmark cancels it will factor in Hallmark's decision regarding WCTH.

7 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

And Nathan. The guy grew a delightfully snarky sense of humor this season. If nothing else, he could be great fun keeping the Bouchards in check when either Lucas, or more likely and more often, Elizabeth, got too full of themselves.

I actually mostly liked him this season - the writers finally gave him a personality. I liked him giving Elizabeth a hard time and was impressed that they pulled it off without him coming across as a bitter jilted lover.

I have to say I laughed at Elizabeth and Rosemary hiding in the clinic and blocking their ears to keep from hearing Faith and Molly talking about patients. Never mind that it would probably be obvious they were there or that Rosemary, the town busybody, was respecting people’s privacy - it was cute.

Florence and Henry’s scene got me.

All in all, though the writing on this show (particularly this season) has been very uneven (Bill’s storyline in particular is very disjointed: once again I thought I missed something), I liked this episode.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I actually mostly liked him this season - the writers finally gave him a personality. I liked him giving Elizabeth a hard time and was impressed that they pulled it off without him coming across as a bitter jilted lover.

Honestly, the first time he made a comment about him being "the one that got away" was funny, the second time when he said something like maybe it's good they never got together was so-so, but "teasing" about Lucas' dedication to her and then later saying not to let Lucas get away like she did him was not funny and made him look bad. Last night was maybe 9 - 10 mths after she made her decision so it was just cringe especially when he's making eyes at other women. He should focus on Allie, who btw should not be worrying about trying to find her father a wife. They really need talk about that so she can focus on being a kid. I get why she's concerned of course, but it's not something she should bear. Maybe Lucas can open up a baseball summer cap for the kids of Hope Valley to keep them busy lol.

On 5/21/2022 at 12:30 PM, Guest 30 said:

They have lost about 200k viewers from last season. Thry aren't getting two viewers for every one lost. Their viewer demo is way down which is weird because they said that chosing Lucas would bring in that key demo. It costs a lot to make. From a business viewpoint, it would be wise to pull the plug. 

The show is actually still very _profitable_ for the channel and comes with a low cost (especially when compared to GW and CS) to produce. They had to know that regardless of whomever she picked at the end of S8 they would have lost viewers, that's just what happens when you create a triangle. If you're talking about the younger demographic that actually doesn't really matter for Hallmark since their commercials are nearly always geared towards the elderly population anyway.

The writing has been weird this season for sure, but it's still a great show with an outstanding cast so I hope to see it continue. 

Also, Lucas wasn't leaving so Nathan didn't go to talk him out of it. Lucas went on a solo camping trip for a few days to clear his mind and process everything that happened. Nathan went to check on Lucas because Gustave was concerned about his cousin. Lucas blamed himself for what happened with the mine (though that really fell more on Henry and Fiona) and he was upset with how the WW situation went down. I like seeing the two men slowly bond, they have their differences and similarities and would make a great duo. I hope we get to see more of their friendship next season. I'm hoping their conversation was a turning point.

LOL, I too thought Rosemary probably wouldn't be blocking her ears and would have played it with Rosemary being tempted to listen until Elizabeth shame faced her.   

I'm glad for the Coulter's that Rosemary is pregnant but hope we skip a whole bunch of steps in the off season (if there is a next season).  

Nathan has been loads of fun this season and I probably would have supported him over Lucas if he'd been this much fun but they didn't bother to make him fun until the triangle was resolved.   I used to think Lucas was fun but they've stopped him being fun since the triangle resolved.

On 5/21/2022 at 11:30 AM, Guest 30 said:

I don't know who they is but I don't think anybody had any real belief that there was a choice Elizabeth could make that would net hue numbers.  Shows don't really pick up a hue audience in season 9.  

And while I preferred Lucas to Nathan at the time I don't see how either character would be more attractive to the key demo... and I'm still in the key demo.   

• Love 1
On 5/24/2022 at 1:47 PM, lora said:

Which reminds me, wasn't there a spoiler that said that Elizabeth puts a pause or a hold on her relationship with Lucas because she learned something about his past?

Yes!! I had totally forgotten about that. I guess they decided to cut that for whatever reason. 

19 hours ago, Artsda said:

Jack Wagner's son has passed away.

It is very sad but at least this article mentions both parents being GH stars.  There is such a prime time bias that half the articles I read listed Jack from Melrose Place and Kristina from When Calls The Heart.    Kristina Wagner has been on GH for DECADES but yes lets boil her career down to like 4 episodes of a Hallmark drama....

I know in the tragedy of losing a child that is no big deal... but it bugged...  

• Love 2
On 6/21/2022 at 11:07 AM, Guest 30 said:

I still think it was a missed opportunity to not put Lucas and Fiona together. Their relationship would have been exciting

Agree. I still hope Lucas leaves and Nathan is there and Elizabeth rethinks.  I think they wrote the Nathan character more interesting once Elizabeth wasn't available.  

On 6/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, dubstepford wife said:

I want Fiona and Mei to return as flappers (it is 1920-ish after all) with short hair and in a relationship with each other.

Okay, why am I now thinking of Elizabeth's sister Julie? She would definitely be a flapper, LOL. Maybe we can have her visit.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, dubstepford wife said:

I want Fiona and Mei to return as flappers (it is 1920-ish after all) with short hair and in a relationship with each other.

Yes!

I've been saying forever that Fiona is a lesbian. (because I have a crush on her and thats what makes her a lesbian) but it would be great to see some LGBTQ rep in the show. (Yes, I know its hallmark.)

5 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Yes!

I've been saying forever that Fiona is a lesbian. (because I have a crush on her and thats what makes her a lesbian) but it would be great to see some LGBTQ rep in the show. (Yes, I know its hallmark.)

Well, it’s unlikely Fiona will be a lesbian not just because this is a hallmark show, but the time period of WCTH also makes it extremely unlikely.  Homophobia was rampant and possibly illegal back then…

Yeah I was mostly kidding when I said that (though it would be a lot of fun!).  Hallmark occasionally throws a bone to the LGBT community to fulfill their diversity quota, but for the most part they still tiptoe around that issue, and norcalgal is right, despite WCTH's overall extreme tendency towards anachronism, I'm sure they would use the time period as an excuse to not feature any LGBT characters.  Which honestly is a lost opportunity, given how successful and popular the Thomas character on Downton Abbey was (he's gay, for those who haven't watched the show, and it's the same general time period).

19 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Well, it’s unlikely Fiona will be a lesbian not just because this is a hallmark show, but the time period of WCTH also makes it extremely unlikely.  Homophobia was rampant and possibly illegal back then…

And yet, gay and trans people managed to exist, despite everything  🥰

• Love 3

Anyone find Lucas boring now? This was the guy who had a gun in his safe and money hidden under fish. Now he is pulling a wagon and going to oil meetings all the time. They did a disservice to his character by putting him with Elizabeth. At least when he was by himself he was a lot more interesting. He needs to be with someone like Fiona. 

Side note: is anyone listening to deck the hallmark podcast? They are watching all the seasons and reviewing them. It's pretty fun to listen to.