Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Cough syrup" affected Bill was kinda fun.

That concoction was certainly more potent than anything served at the Queen of Hearts. 

And how about Lucas, Mr. Coolteacher, himself, complete with Magic Baseball of Learning Excitement.

A better episode than some of the previous - not that the bar is all that high. A few things actually happened. Which is a pretty big deal for this show. 😉

• LOL 4

Now it looks like it's the mine and the Wyman stuff that's next that looks pretty boring. 

6 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

"Cough syrup" affected Bill was kinda fun.

That concoction was certainly more potent than anything served at the Queen of Hearts. 

And how about Lucas, Mr. Coolteacher, himself, complete with Magic Baseball of Learning Excitement.

A better episode than some of the previous - not that the bar is all that high. A few things actually happened. Which is a pretty big deal for this show. 😉

Is there nothing Lucas can't do? I'm just waiting for Bill or Henry to hav a heart attack and Lucas performs open heart surgery!

• LOL 5

I’m just glad we’re done with the stupid All the Holidays celebration. 

Lee with bangs: no. A thousand, million times - no.

Can we please, for the love of all that’s holy, stop teaching people that Romeo and Juliet had a Romance for the Ages that we should all aspire to? A definite child (13) and her lover of unspecified age (though typically portrayed as a slightly older teen), fall in “love” that results in the deaths of several people, including their own by their own hands. This is not Couple Goals, Rosemary. /rant

Lucas introducing himself by just his first name to a couple of children. Lucas and Elizabeth making out in the saloon. And on the street. 

So Bill doesn’t have TB? He’s coughing up blood and Faith is all, here’s some cough syrup, come back in a few days and I might look at your rib? I get that he’s a difficult patient, but where did she go to medical school, again?

About the only thing I did like was Nathan doing actual Mountie work and clearing Mei’s name. 

• Love 2

Elizabeth acting like a horny teen is very uncomfortable. If I saw my teacher making out with her boyfriend everywhere, I would probably vomit. But I guess this is what they call romance 

• Love 1
On 4/24/2022 at 12:10 PM, Guest 30 said:

Looks like in the second to last episode, Lucas leaves town to clear his head. This guy likes to cut and run. But Lucas is such a Mary Sue (stu) that he'll be back. 

Watch them kill him off-screen unceremoniously and in a completely undignified way, then some new mysterious guy will show up who feels honor bound to protect his "widow" and take over the duties of the saloon.  We've already established that this show is completely off the spacetime continuum so why not go full Groundhog Day.

(I'm kidding of course, though I'm guessing Liz will be all, "This is what happened with Jack!  He never came home!" only to have Lucas walk through the door completely unscathed and carrying a ring.)

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

Watch them kill him off-screen unceremoniously and in a completely undignified way, then some new mysterious guy will show up who feels honor bound to protect his "widow" and take over the duties of the saloon.  We've already established that this show is completely off the spacetime continuum so why not go full Groundhog Day.

(I'm kidding of course, though I'm guessing Liz will be all, "This is what happened with Jack!  He never came home!" only to have Lucas walk through the door completely unscathed and carrying a ring.)

I’m still going with Liz and Nathan having an epiphany about their feelings for each other. 

because there is an audience who wants to watch popcorn Hallmark don't have to think about it and everything ends up happily ever after (Unless you leave the show)  and this show is that with costumes.     

I'm Okay with Bill not having TB and the blood being a result of his fight but I am 1000% not okay with the DOCTOR not sending him to a bigger city to rule out TB.   There is a version of this show in an alternate reality where BIll has given TB to every woman in town by now.

I don't get any vibes at all that they are planning to put Nathan and Elizabeth back togetehr he's much more interesting (IE a tiny bit interesting) with Mei.   

But then I think Fiona is the most interesting person on the show and she's just off in San Francisco forever so....   

Sort of glad Henry got spared 2 weeks of twee holiday celebrations in the middle of town.  

Faith and Hickam remain though even more boring than Carson and Faith.... and that is an impressive level of boredom.

Like Lucas being great at everything is annoying but I don't remember the last time we saw Elizabeth teach school at school.   We know Hope Valley days was a full 2 weeks and she wrote two things on the board over that time period.   

I suspect a little grammar and a little hand eye coordination will serve the children of Hope Valley better in the end then a two week discussion of Thanks Giving vs Thanksgiving.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I’m still going with Liz and Nathan having an epiphany about their feelings for each other. 

I would love that but it looks like it is Lucas all the way. Even though they haven't had any real conversations, it looks like there will be a proposal 

I feel like there was a missed opportunity for Lucas and Fiona as a couple. Now, that would have been fun to watch.

14 minutes ago, Guest 30 said:

I would love that but it looks like it is Lucas all the way. Even though they haven't had any real conversations, it looks like there will be a proposal 

I feel like there was a missed opportunity for Lucas and Fiona as a couple. Now, that would have been fun to watch.

Yes, I know it isn't going in that direction. But I think it would be a neat twist!!  Then Lucas and Fiona can "hook up" Hope Valley style!!

12 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

4 hours ago, Guest 30 said:

4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes, I know it isn't going in that direction. But I think it would be a neat twist!!  Then Lucas and Fiona can "hook up" Hope Valley style!!

Add me to the Liz/Nathan pairing ain’t gonna happen, even though I think the Liz/Nathan and Lucas/Fiona personalities mesh better. 
I’ve posted here before that I just have this feeling that over time, Fiona’s bubbly, go-getter, irreverent personality might exasperate and aggravate Nathan. Lucas seems more go with the flow/adventurous so would suit Fiona better. 

18 hours ago, Guest 30 said:

I don't get how this show gets such good ratings when the writing is terrible

Never underestimate the power of pretty people in pretty costumes to draw viewers.  There's a huge market for romantic period dramas, especially with people older than 30, who are a too-often ignored demographic.  And once upon a time, WCtH actually was a decent show, it was heartwarming while still being interesting, things actually happened, and it had multiple couples with tons of chemistry.  A lot of people, me included, are still watching probably out of a combination of loyalty and an "I've come this far" attitude.

Count me as another who doesn't think Nathan and Liz will ever be a thing.  They have nothing in common, very different personalities, and the show has already beaten that dead horse enough.

• Love 4
On 4/25/2022 at 2:21 PM, Guest 30 said:

Is there nothing Lucas can't do?

Just like Bailey (John Nolan's girlfriend) on The Rookie (if you watch that show you know what I'm talking about)  Whatever's going on, she always magically appears

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Just like Bailey (John Nolan's girlfriend) on The Rookie (if you watch that show you know what I'm talking about)  Whatever's going on, she always magically appears

Indeed! I watch that show too 

Little Jack must be the cleanest 3 year old I have ever seen. That kid is dressed everyday in his Sunday best. And he doesn't drip any ice cream on himself. I don't think I've ever seen him in clothes that weren't pressed. I swear, this show is going to end like st. Elsewhere and Little Jack will be looking at a snow globe. Since the show runner who wrote that ending is now running this show, it wouldn't surprise me 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I still don't understand why Mei was being arrested.  Was she wanted in Chicago for abandoning her husband (Geoffrey)? Was there a warrant for her arrest? Can someone just demand that someone be arrested? Geoffrey punched Bill (a Mountie/Judge) hard enough to bruise him and possibly crack a rib (we don't know since there is no x-ray machine since Faith hung her own shingle) and I don't understand why he isn't facing charges.  (I'm attorney in the US but I don't know 100 year old fictional Canadian law as interpreted by Hallmark).

• LOL 5

Well, I am totally confused.

Thought Bill, Lucas, Fiona, and Henry were all working together to bring down the bad guys.

But now it seems that they are all independent agents, their individual plans at cross purposes with one another.

And Mei's exoneration was only a Hope Valley thing?

Meanwhile, while so much attention is diverted elsewhere, a rogue washing machine is wreaking havoc among the citizenry. Oh, the humanity!

On a positive note, Hickam has come to the realization that Newton is better suited to be mayor than he is.

And, in future attractions, it appears that exposure to newsprint increases fertility. Write a paper on it, Faith!

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Well, I am totally confused.

Other things that are confusing:

Lucas was working the "The Treasury Department" in New Orleans and seems to have forgotten that they are in Canada. Shouldn't he have said the "US Treasury Department" of the "American Treasury"?

Wasn't there some sort of moral code for teachers on the frontier? I've often thought that Elizabeth could get fired for being seen kissing Lucas on the street.  What would happen if people found out he spent the night in her home?

I'm also confused by the comings and goings of people.  I realize that not every character has to be in every episode, but they make a point of saying that characters are out of town or coming back which is strange. Minnie and Angela are in St. Louis.  Henry is missing didn't come back from San Francisco.  Fiona just came back from San Francisco. Mei is leaving for Chicago.

• Love 2

Mei leaving town without saying goodbye to Nathan? Rude

Faith/Nathan/ Mei triangle? Ugh. No thanks

Walden storyline. Confusing and boring 

Lucas sleeping over at Elizabeth's? She would have been the talk of the town in the old days.

Washing machine? Looked like was plugged in. When did they get power? ?

• Love 2

Lol, this show is so terrible.  You need a million candles to light up your "frontier" home but there are washing machines?  One of the moral leaders of the town (the unmarried teacher) can have a friend-with-benefits and no one cares?  People take trips to places like San Francisco and Chicago which back then would have meant weeks of travel, and yet when the plot demands it they instantly teleport back to Uncanny Valley?  And all of these people living in this supposed backwater all have passports and can travel back and forth between the US and Canada as often as they want?

I love it.  It's so awful.  Please let Nathan turn out to have an evil twin...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Sooo many good posts about the ridiculousness of this past episode (Faith/Nathan/Mei triangle that came outta NOWHERE, washing machine using what power source?!?!, Lizzie having a man spend the night in her house without repercussions).

Yeah, I think I'm done with this show. I may still follow on this forum because some of your comments make this forum Must See TV, so I can skip the actual must (not) see WCTH.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

It would have only taken a few days to get to San Francisco or Chicago (a train in 1918 could go from New York to San Francisco in a little over three days).

The real question isn’t so much the time but how easy it would be for civilian travelers to just hop on trains whenever they wanted. The Canadian Pacific Railway was heavily involved in the war effort at home, and US railroads also ended up being nationalized in order to make troop transport and freight a priority. I’m not saying it would have been impossible, but the likelihood that anyone could take a train whenever they felt like it at the drop of a hat seems pretty far-fetched.

But yes, assuming they’re in this magical war-less pocket, those trips would only take a couple of days.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Useful 2

Yeah I guess I figured since this isn't a major city, it's supposed to be well off the beaten path, it would take longer, but you're right, trains were efficient-ish by 1918.  I remember Liz originally arrived in Coal Valley via a stagecoach, and now there are cars, but there may or may not be electricity?  And power appliances?  But they still rely on candles?  But they also have electric string lights at Christmas?  The technological advancement, or lack thereof, of the place is wonky.

Still, even with planes nowadays, coast-to-coast travel isn't easy.  People in this show just bop all over North America and it seems to happen a little too fast considering the time period.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this show. I may still follow on this forum because some of your comments make this forum Must See TV, so I can skip the actual must (not) see WCTH

I stopped watching 3 episodes ago. But coming here I can get just enough to know what's going on, but not enough to make me want to tune in to start watching again

• Love 3

They make single people on this show desperate on this show, except Bill, Molly and Fiona. Nathan got his heartbroken not too long ago. A new woman comes into town and just like that his heart is healed. Faith was in a long term relationship with Carson where they almost got engaged. But just like that, she is hopping on the Nathan train. Mei, who was still trying to get out of a messy relationship all of sudden gravitating towards Nathan. Faith should be focusing on her private practice to get that damn x-ray machine. Mei needs to figure out her drama. And Nathan needs to do Mountie stuff and be a father to Allie. But this show has always been hooking up single people right away. Look at Elizabeth. She loses Jack and 9 months later she is flirting with two men with a baby on her hip. 

• Love 2

Mei was never in a relationship with Geoffrey; that’s the issue with her drama. She rejected him and he has been harassing her.

They definitely wrote Molly as a little more aggressive in her pursuit of Bill a couple of seasons back; I like that they seem to have settled into a good friendship.

I wouldn’t call Elizabeth’s behavior flirting, but even if she were flirting with a 9-month-old baby on her hip, that’s still pretty close to a year and a half after Jack’s death. They were married for about five minutes and she didn’t even learn she was pregnant until after he died. Waiting 3-ish years to openly enter into something with Lucas hardly makes her a hussy, even if the show does play fast and loose with the courting norms of the time.

I think Faith and Nathan are friends for now; we’ve seen that she gets that Nathan and Mei have the beginning of a Thing. If this show gets another season we’ll just have to see how it plays out. I’d like to see Mei return just because she livened things up a little, but I don’t know where they can take her story.

This whole season has been kind of a haphazard jumble of weird plotlines. See: Lee’s weird career shift; Hickam as mayor; Fiona’s disappearances; Walden’s sliminess. Fingers crossed that they can sort things out.

• Love 3

This episode was even more boring than usual.  I don't understand nor do I care to understand the Walden, Bill, Lucas, Fiona, Henry story.  Nathan twirling the gun at the end was hilarious to me.  

I think this show forgets that it takes place in Canada, except for the mountie aspect. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Guest 30 said:

Looks like Rosemary will find out she is pregnant or they'll rip the hearts of viewers and make it one of those false pregnancies. 

This show loves its "fakeout" previews.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Plus Rosemary can't have anything nice.

She has the newspaper. Oh wait, she already worked at the newspaper in like season 3

Plotline black hole: how does Mei, who is a pharmacist know how to teach Newton how to heal? She's like Lucas who suddenly knows how to ride a motorcycle and fly a hot air balloon 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Guest 30 said:

Plotline black hole: how does Mei, who is a pharmacist know how to teach Newton how to heal? She's like Lucas who suddenly knows how to ride a motorcycle and fly a hot air balloon 

I’m okay with Mei’s handling of Newton. We don’t know anything about her life before she qualified as a pharmacist. Maybe she grew up with horses, or maybe she just has a way with animals. I have a friend who has no pets now, has never had pets, and doesn’t work anywhere near animals, but all dogs absolutely love her. She doesn’t even have to do anything besides walk into the room and even the best-behaved dogs are all over her. It’s fascinating to witness IRL.

• Love 1

At no point did I need or even expect Rosemary to get pregnant but after years of them quietly wishing for like a line per episode and then them agreeing that it would have been great had it happened but... to have them get pregnant now and then lose the baby or have this be a false pregnancy will make me mad.

Like I was/am TOTALLY 1000% cool with them never having kids.  But teasing the kid thing I will so not be chill with that.  

• Love 3

Has anyone noticed that Elizabeth's relationship lucas is deep as a puddle. They're so boring. I thought people wanted them to be together because it would be more interesting. Instead we get these weird fish kisses and Lucas saying flowery crap to placate Elizabeth 

• Love 2

Them being "deep as a puddle" is exactly why I'm so nostalgic for the old days of the show.  In the Jack era, he actually had a personality apart from his relationship, and so did she!  They both had their own passions.  And it meant there was struggle too, since Jack couldn't turn his back on his feelings of duty, which was constantly in conflict with his relationship, and she couldn't turn her back on her students.  And sadly his duty was ultimately what got him killed and separated them for good.  I hate that he died and I think it was the end of the show in spirit if not in practice, but at least it was realistic considering his character.

Meanwhile, what exactly is Lucas' passion?  The saloon?  His former work in New Orleans?  I have no idea.  He's not a bad guy but he's just sort of empty.  And so is Elizabeth these days.  She used to be kind of a social justice warrior, fighting for impoverished kids and their right to an education.  Now she barely even seems to be a teacher.  She's a writer I guess, but her book was about herself.  She's a lot more self-absorbed.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Them being "deep as a puddle" is exactly why I'm so nostalgic for the old days of the show.  In the Jack era, he actually had a personality apart from his relationship, and so did she!  They both had their own passions.  And it meant there was struggle too, since Jack couldn't turn his back on his feelings of duty, which was constantly in conflict with his relationship, and she couldn't turn her back on her students.  And sadly his duty was ultimately what got him killed and separated them for good.  I hate that he died and I think it was the end of the show in spirit if not in practice, but at least it was realistic considering his character.

Meanwhile, what exactly is Lucas' passion?  The saloon?  His former work in New Orleans?  I have no idea.  He's not a bad guy but he's just sort of empty.  And so is Elizabeth these days.  She used to be kind of a social justice warrior, fighting for impoverished kids and their right to an education.  Now she barely even seems to be a teacher.  She's a writer I guess, but her book was about herself.  She's a lot more self-absorbed.

I guess Elizabeth is Lucas's passion. He stayed because of her. He said that she is his adventure. A lot of pressure to put on one person. What if the adventure is no longer fun? Terrible writing this season and last season 

3 hours ago, Guest 30 said:

This show probably should have ended after Jack and Elizabeth got married. They could have done Christmas specials once a year; Christmas with the Thornton's

It really should have. That would have been the perfect ending. 

Go to the pharmacy/ice cream shop, Rosemary, and pick up a pioneer brand pregnancy test and double scoop cone. 

If Burl Ives and Sebastian Cabot had a love child, he might be the oil/coal guy whose name escapes me. Hard to picture Mr. French singing Holly Jolly Christmas as a dastardly fellow.

It's amazing Florence and Molly manage to maneuver their way down any street with the sticks wedged so firmly up their backsides.

• LOL 4
45 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

It's amazing Florence and Molly manage to maneuver their way down any street with the sticks wedged so firmly up their backsides.

I mean, considering their husbands and 45 other men died in the coal mine collapse, they get to be upset about it re-opening.

• Love 1

And apparently Lucas is untouchable. 

Nathan doesn't get any justice for the guy who hit Newton and gave Nathan a head injury. Sometimes I wish Nathan wasn't so nice and told Lucas to go get a lawyer.

28 minutes ago, Guest 30 said:

Nathan doesn't get any justice for the guy who hit Newton and gave Nathan a head injury. Sometimes I wish Nathan wasn't so nice and told Lucas to go get a lawyer.

That is the most real-world justice I’ve seen on this show. Courts make these tough decisions every day. This wasn’t just about Lucas - it’s about Walden. The guy agreed to testify against Walden in exchange for immunity. Do you go after him for an unintentional hit and run in which there was no permanent damage or do you get his testimony in a case where several people have been hurt? Lucas’s exoneration is a happy side effect of taking down a much bigger threat. In a perfect world everyone would be punished but these kinds of choices are a thing.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, lora said:

Did they ever mention that Lucas was in some dirty dealings before he came to Hope Valley?

When he originally arrived he was suspected of being a shady character but I think it turned out to be either a misunderstanding or he was trying to break ties with an associate who was shady but Lucas wasn’t part of it. 

• Useful 1

I can't decide if I'm happy or not about Rosemary.  On the one hand, I'm happy for her and Lee, and in the books there is a major character who goes a long time thinking she's infertile and then poof gets pregnant multiple times so Rosemary is that character of the show.  However, infertility is very real and back then there was no IVF or fertility meds, so it feels like a missed opportunity for Hallmark to not portray the pain it creates, as well as how adopted children are wonderful too.  I know we already had an adoption subplot with Cody, but did anyone actually like that kid?

1 hour ago, lora said:

I am sorry, but this made Rosemary seem like a bad friend and Elizabeth like a doormat.

Agree.  But Liz and Rosemary are the new Liz and Abigail where the plot kind of depends on them being friends.  In real life I'd have serious issues with someone who did this.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

That is the most real-world justice I’ve seen on this show. Courts make these tough decisions every day. This wasn’t just about Lucas - it’s about Walden. The guy agreed to testify against Walden in exchange for immunity. Do you go after him for an unintentional hit and run in which there was no permanent damage or do you get his testimony in a case where several people have been hurt? Lucas’s exoneration is a happy side effect of taking down a much bigger threat. In a perfect world everyone would be punished but these kinds of choices are a thing.

But why did they have to do at Nathan's expense? This whole storyline could have been written a different way.

2 hours ago, lora said:

Did they ever mention that Lucas was in some dirty dealings before he came to Hope Valley?

So Elizabeth confides in Rosemary, then the latter goes and publishes it in her newspaper (in the name of the right thing to do) and after doing so apologizes to Elizabeth and tells her she won't betray her trust again. And Elizabeth is happy that she can still be friends with Rosemary and tell her more secrets. I am sorry, but this made Rosemary seem like a bad friend and Elizabeth like a doormat.

Elizabeth was a bad friend last season. So now it's Rosemary's turn to be a bad friend lol