Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

if they suddenly realize it's weird that they are ignoring WWI and they try to convince us that it's only 1914 in the show and the war hasn't started yet, I'm going to flip a table.

I’ll be right there with you!

• Love 2

I wasn't paying really close attention did we see which Aanne title it was?  There were Anne books published in 1917 and 1919.  (as well as 1908, 1909, 1915, 1936 and 1939... and 1921 if you consider Rilla of Ingleside an Anne book)

SO not only do I have to watch Hickam the most ever milquetoast mayor he's now being paired with maybe even more boring Faith?  I mean I have to say as much as I have in interest in a triangle between Robert, Allie and Angela they are less boring than Faith and Hickam.  

• Love 1
On 4/10/2022 at 10:48 PM, sharifa70 said:

Is this show trying to make us believe it’s 1915 (or earlier) with that “the new Anne of Green Gables” comment? 

Presumably they meant the newest book in the Anne series. I Googled it - the 5th book, Rainbow Valley, was published in 1919.

Is Rosemary now wearing a corset? She's a slender woman but seemed ridiculously so in this episode.

Does Laura babysit around the clock? We know she's there the whole school day, but then Elizabeth seems to have a lot of leisure time for spending evenings with Lucas or at the saloon. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Presumably they meant the newest book in the Anne series. I Googled it - the 5th book, Rainbow Valley, was published in 1919.

Thanks. I took a second look at Wikipedia and the Anne books are listed out of publication order, which I didn’t notice the first time. What I saw was 1908, 1909, 1915, then 1936 and didn’t take a closer look.

• Love 2

I don’t understand how they have so many clothes. I mean Hoss Cartwright had the same shirt and vest for twenty years. Matt Dillon never got new duds. Most people had two pairs of clothes. Their everyday work clothes and the Sunday Best. Not a new dress every day!

• LOL 3
39 minutes ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

I don’t understand how they have so many clothes. I mean Hoss Cartwright had the same shirt and vest for twenty years. Matt Dillon never got new duds. Most people had two pairs of clothes. Their everyday work clothes and the Sunday Best. Not a new dress every day!

Everybody owns a shop and seems pretty prosperous. Elizabeth might be on a teacher’s salary but comes from money so I’m okay with the varied wardrobes. I do see a lot pf repeat outfits on both her and Rosemary, though. We haven’t really seen many true working-class characters so we don’t really have a baseline for them. Nathan and Lucas are pretty consistent in their wardrobes, at least.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, lora said:

Did they have veneers back then. All those fine teeth and Hollywood smiles.

9 hours ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

Lol, welcome to WCtH in every season except season 1.  Veneers (Kevin's are especially obvious, they're Paula Deen levels of fake looking), brand new clothes that are always clean and pressed, mermaid wave hairstyles courtesy of very modern curling irons, bright pink lipgloss, etc.  Of course this is hardly unique even among period dramas that are considered to have good costuming, the more recent version of Little Women featured Ugg boots, and those costumes won an Oscar.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

When Hope Calls did a better job of this. Like Grace, who was a young woman that had grown up in an orphanage and spent her early twenties waitressing and doing similar jobs, had like three dresses to her name - which she wore repeatedly. 

That said, they were just as bad as WCTH with hair - every woman, including Tess who spent her days herding cattle, very clearly used a curling iron.

I know one season way back Elizabeth mentioned having some town woman doing her laundry. BUT, even with that luxury behind her, you'd think all those long pastel skirts of hers would be rather impossible, given the dirt roads and the fact that she's the mother of a very young child.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

You have to suspend your disbelief if you watch this show. For example everyone is very good looking. Where are the normal looking people? The homely people?

Everybody is just too pretty.

Agree. That’s kind of what I said way upthread. If I even thought this was in any was realistic I couldn’t watch. The books were much better

• Love 1

I'm perplexed by the amount of clothing in certain scenes.  We have one scene where Elizabeth is wearing a skirt and short sleeved blouse walking around town, but next scene Henry is on the drill site wearing a hat and winter coat.  I wonder if these scenes were filmed during a change of season

• Love 1

"Maybe it's a good thing we didn't get together." 

Nathan Grant for the win!! 🤣🤣🤣

Line of the night. Maybe even the series.

Was so hoping Ned would have burst into song during his Hanukkah talk. (Know I was.) 

• LOL 4

Drink every time someone asks where Fiona is, and again every time she’s somehow back in San Francisco.

Bill and Mei are in Bill’s office, Bill is going to take Mei to see her so-called husband in jail, Mei needs a minute, commercial…and Bill is getting a checkup? Mei is still just hanging out in his office? 

This whole episode felt like just a mix of random scenes.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I know right?  I felt like we were back in Season 6 where they had to randomly cut out a bunch of stuff and then patch together whatever was left.

Why was Ned talking about Hannukah again?  I feel like I missed something.  Is it early December in this universe?  Are they trying to make up for not having a Christmas special last year?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

Why was Ned talking about Hannukah again? 

I think it was because “Hope Valley Days” meant the town celebrated random holidays all at once: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, and Hanukkah. It made no sense, except to give Lee and Rosemary a chance to dress up as Antony and Cleopatra. It was stupid. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I think it was because “Hope Valley Days” meant the town celebrated random holidays all at once: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, and Hanukkah. It made no sense, except to give Lee and Rosemary a chance to dress up as Antony and Cleopatra. It was stupid. 

I was so confused by all of that. I never got WHY they were celebrating all these holidays simultaneously?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I was so confused by all of that. I never got WHY they were celebrating all these holidays simultaneously?

Right? I usually associate a “[Town Name] Days” festival with something related to the town’s history, not “hey, let’s celebrate some random holidays out of season while most of the town just goes about their normal daily business.” I get why they probably can’t celebrate the town’s history, but this was just….lazy writing.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Drink every time someone asks where Fiona is, and again every time she’s somehow back in San Francisco.

What happens if Faith needs someone to re-perm her hair while Fiona is gone

15 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Bill and Mei are in Bill’s office, Bill is going to take Mei to see her so-called husband in jail, Mei needs a minute, commercial…and Bill is getting a checkup? Mei is still just hanging out in his office? 

I rewatched that scene because I thought I had fallen asleep and missed something.

15 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Was so hoping Ned would have burst into song during his Hanukkah talk. (Know I was.) 

Prior to this past year every Hallmark attempt at interjecting Chanuakah into the holiday movies has been, in my opinion, a failure.  In some instances they were even insulting.  But this year they were actually successful and I told my husband, almost jokingly, that maybe Hope Valley would soon welcome a Jewish family. I'll give them points for making Ned Jewish, but not many points.  While Joseph and Minnie got to pray on getting a bank loan, Ned didn't say the traditional prayer while lighting the menorah. But I guess that it's a start.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Were people (let alone adults!) dressing up for Halloween during this time period!?  

3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Right? I usually associate a “[Town Name] Days” festival with something related to the town’s history, not “hey, let’s celebrate some random holidays out of season while most of the town just goes about their normal daily business.” I get why they probably can’t celebrate the town’s history, but this was just….lazy writing.

THIS! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Were people (let alone adults!) dressing up for Halloween during this time period!?  

Yes, but I think the emphasis was on being ghoulish rather than cutsie dog and cowboy costumes.

3 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

rewatched that scene because I thought I had fallen asleep and missed something.

I did, too. Not the sleep part but I thought I had fast-forwarded past more than just the commercials.

3 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

What happens if Faith needs someone to re-perm her hair while Fiona is gone

She’ll suddenly remember that ladies wore hats in public?

• LOL 1

Not a fan of them pushing Mei Sou. She's been there for 5 minutes and is now on the town council. That is like a middle finger to all the well established characters. Molly or even Faith made more sense.

Then Elizabeth and Lucas are already talking about marriage. These two are robot perfect. Whenever there seems to be a little conflict, Lucas says some flowery crap and Elizabeth turns into puddy. Also, has anyone noticed that when Elizabeth talks to Lucas, her voice goes up like 5 octaves and has a baby voice.

Everyone's storyline is boring. This show used to be fun to watch but now everyone is either mad or angsty. I remember there used to be drama on this show but now it is way over the top 

• Love 2
On 4/17/2022 at 9:05 PM, sharifa70 said:

Okay, legitimately I thought I zoned and missed somethign and couldn't be arsed to go back and look

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 3

I don't dislike Mei but did I hear that she'd' been unanimously chosen to be take over Carson's spot on Town Council?   Because it seems weird that they'd pick a person who had been in town a sold minute and a half for such a position.   

Do we know why Fiona has been written out of most of this season?

And we see you Hallmark making sure that community funded health center was converted into a for profit clinic by Faith.   

I kind of liked the idea of a festive Hope Valley Days festival thing but search me about why we've decided to celebrate other holidays during these days.  Obviously it won't be our problem but will the town also celebrate Valentines and  April Fools etc when they come back around?  

I think it is mildly amusing that they didn't take the opportunity to have Easter celebrated around the town on a show shown on Easter but did move another religious holiday for their convenience just, you know, a non christian one.   

• Love 1
11 hours ago, bybrandy said:

And we see you Hallmark making sure that community funded health center was converted into a for profit clinic by Faith. 

They were probably afraid that having a Mountie would make us Americans romanticize the Canadian way of life too much. This is a way to make us forget that our neighbors to the North actually have a socialized medicine now.  BTW - Was this all caused by Faith putting her name on the door? Could she have taken her name (shingle) off the door and then requested the x-ray machine?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

They were probably afraid that having a Mountie would make us Americans romanticize the Canadian way of life too much. This is a way to make us forget that our neighbors to the North actually have a socialized medicine now.  BTW - Was this all caused by Faith putting her name on the door? Could she have taken her name (shingle) off the door and then requested the x-ray machine?

Legitimately I was curious about that.  Because it isn't like she has competition.  She's the only doctor in town.  Does it matter that her name is on the door?  Is somebody going "Well,  wasn't going to the infirmary today but now that I know Faith works there..."

Does anybody else remember that there was a whole episode plot (maybe even a Christmas episode?!?!?) about Robert's mom having a baby and the baby was a girl but we never learned her name.  Yet somehow this baby has never again been mentioned.  Cause I feel like if I was Robert's unnamed little sister I would be in the ice cream shop all the time trying to get my brother to scoop me free ice cream...   

My brother worked at a little ceasers when he was Robert's age.  He didn't give away a lot of free pizzas to me but he did put like a normal amount of toppings on the pizza well against company policy whenever I ordered.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2022 at 10:05 PM, sharifa70 said:

Not to mention, back in those days a trip to pretty much anywhere was rather costly, as it involved trains, boats, etc. Few people had the means to ever travel, let alone so often. Has Fiona found herself a sugar daddy we don't know about? Or is being a barber just that lucrative?

On 4/18/2022 at 8:29 AM, sharifa70 said:

It made no sense, except to give Lee and Rosemary a chance to dress up as Antony and Cleopatra. It was stupid. 

It also made no sense as to how Rosemary just happened to have a man's costume available. I could kind of handwave her having some old costumes from her previous roles (though most likely she'd have returned them after the performances) and lugging them to Hope Valley out of nostalgia, but also for Lee??

On 4/18/2022 at 1:30 PM, ShelleySue said:

I'll give them points for making Ned Jewish, but not many points.

I'm not, because seriously, would it have taken Ned TEN YEARS to mention it?? Especially given the way there were so many Christmas specials over the seasons, if they really had put any thought into it, he could at least have mentioned his own traditions. This just felt like they wanted a pat on the back for sticking something in.

19 hours ago, bybrandy said:

But was it community funded? As Mike told Fiona, in the past it had been subsidized by the mining company. I would imagine that people just paid for medical services out of pocket after that? Remember a few seasons back, the traveling salesman (forgot his name, but he was a young black man, who gave a ride to Carson when he was stranded, and Carson insisted on giving him his coat and also medication for his cough?) At any rate, the guy initially refused, saying he couldn't afford to see a doctor and had never been. Sadly, I imagine that would have been the case for many people back then, and especially for people of color, who might have been refused even if they did have payment, e.g. Angela Canfield.

I took a moment to Google the subject - apparently Canada officially started free universal healthcare in 1957.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Has Fiona found herself a sugar daddy we don't know about? Or is being a barber just that lucrative?

I’ve assumed that Henry has been financing her business travel. Then again, this show operates on nonexistent logic so either the travel is free or the two haircuts she’s had time to do with all of her travelling were super-expensive.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I’ve assumed that Henry has been financing her business travel. Then again, this show operates on nonexistent logic so either the travel is free or the two haircuts she’s had time to do with all of her travelling were super-expensive.

Henry didn't know the why of the first trip so I'm not sure he would have funded it but I can clearly see why he might have funded this one.  But Fiona has like 7 job and no expenses so she might have some money squirreled away.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

Henry didn't know the why of the first trip so I'm not sure he would have funded it but I can clearly see why he might have funded this one.  But Fiona has like 7 job and no expenses so she might have some money squirreled away.   

She’s probably blackmailing half the town after learning all their dirty secrets when she was the switchboard operator.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Henry didn't know the why of the first trip so I'm not sure he would have funded it but I can clearly see why he might have funded this one.

IIRC. didn't Fiona originally come from San Francisco? I could swear she said her family was there, or else maybe it was just where she started with the phone company?

• Love 1

Ugh, I just can't with this show anymore. You know it's bad when you didn't even make it halfway past the previous episode (everyone so conveniently in town at the same time all these cars conveniently show up at the same time causing traffic - seriously?!?) and then click off no more than 5 minutes into the current one.  It's almost comical - and I just don't mean Mayor Mike whom the writers are making inept in a Keystone Copish sort of way rather than a guy whose a little unsure of himself and just needs to get some confidence.

Everyone popping in and out of stores all chipper and good natured is just getting to be nauseating.  I know this is an escape from real life, but c'mon, writers - don't make it so ghastly OTT that it's unwatchable.  Which is what it is right now.  I don't even care, except for Nathan and Henry.  Bill has absolutely no purpose and is seriously underused.  Maybe they plan to have Abigail come back to punch things up.  Maybe I'll check back later and use the 'previously on' to catch up, but right now......I'm officially done with this sap-fest

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 2

Isn't Fiona, along with Bill, Henry, and Lucas, part of the Justice League of Hope Valley? 

Who - despite lacking in effective communication/collaboration, strategic planning, and efficacious outcomes - are bound and determined to save the town.

Wouldn't there be a superhero slush fund for all travel expenses? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Ugh, I just can't with this show anymore. You know it's bad when you didn't even make it halfway past the previous episode (everyone so conveniently in town at the same time all these cars conveniently show up at the same time causing traffic - seriously?!?) and then click off no more than 5 minutes into the current one.  It's almost comical - and I just don't mean Mayor Mike whom the writers are making inept in a Keystone Copish sort of way rather than a guy whose a little unsure of himself and just needs to get some confidence.

Everyone popping in and out of stores all chipper and good natured is just getting to be nauseating.  I know this is an escape from real life, but c'mon, writers - don't make it so ghastly OTT that it's unwatchable.  Which is what it is right now.  I don't even care, except for Nathan and Henry.  Bill has absolutely no purpose and is seriously underused.  Maybe they plan to have Abigail come back to punch things up.  Maybe I'll check back later and use the 'previously on' to catch up, but right now......I'm officially done with this sap-fest

It's become Mystery Hallmark Theatre 3000 for me.  I'm only watching to make fun of it.  I haven't thought this was a good show since somewhere around Season Three.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Lori Laughlin signed on with GAC so I doubt she'll be back.  

So Mei is there for 5 minutes and is on the town council. Big middle finger to the characters that have been there longer.

Weren't there people last season who said that Lucas challenges Elizabeth and that's why she should choose him? I don't see a lot of challenging but mostly placating. Where is the spirited arguments and conversations. They are an old boring married couple. Also, they make Lucas so perfect. He is like a stepford wife. 

All the other characters have boring storylines or are just going around in circles. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ctlady said:

I'm officially done with this sap-fest

I'm almost there myself, and tbh, I've fast forwarded a ton of the past few episodes  (but I think I still get the gist of what's happening).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I'm almost there myself, and tbh, I've fast forwarded a ton of the past few episodes  (but I think I still get the gist of what's happening).

I hoped that getting rid of Jesse/Clara and Carson/Faith would help to free things up for actual interesting stories, but not really. As long as they continue to ignore the real historical events going on, I feel like this show has painted itself into a corner.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

getting rid of Jesse/Clara and Carson/Faith

What's amazing is how unceremoniously Jesse/Clara were dumped out of the show. Just a letter read out loud by Bill and not a mention again (I'm assuming since I've been FF'ing). At least with Carson, there were multiple mentions he might leave town, and it was a plot point where he struggled with going to Baltimore or not.

2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

What's amazing is how unceremoniously Jesse/Clara were dumped out of the show. Just a letter read out loud by Bill and not a mention again (I'm assuming since I've been FF'ing). At least with Carson, there were multiple mentions he might leave town, and it was a plot point where he struggled with going to Baltimore or not.

It does seem sudden. I would laugh if the writers just wanted to get rid of anyone with even the slightest connection to Abigail. 

Didn’t Jesse have some familial connection to Jack or am I just making things up? ETA: he was connected to pre-pastor Pastor Frank when they were robbing banks or something.

Edited by sharifa70

I'm done with the show. It's just so boring that I really don't care. I thought once Elizabeth finally chose someone it would be better. They dragged it out so long. But it really isn't. Even my favorite couple Rosemary and Lee are just so boring and make no sense. Why is Lee working for Rosemary? They pick the most boring person to be mayor. I don't even know why Bill or Henry are even still on the show. They don't do anything. No one does anything. Nothing happens on the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm done with the show. It's just so boring that I really don't care. I thought once Elizabeth finally chose someone it would be better. They dragged it out so long. But it really isn't. Even my favorite couple Rosemary and Lee are just so boring and make no sense. Why is Lee working for Rosemary? They pick the most boring person to be mayor. I don't even know why Bill or Henry are even still on the show. They don't do anything. No one does anything. Nothing happens on the show.

Exactly!  It's like a lot is going on, but nothing is happening.

And I fear that the entire season they spent with the 'who will Elizabeth choose' will all be for nothing as I get this vibe they're saddling Lucas with too much underhanded baggage - meanwhile, Nathan is developing quite an interesting personality and looks more like a catch.  However, I don't think they'll hook her up with another mountie

I just have to gag at Elizabeth's suitor-worthiness.  With other unmarried, childless women in town, it's the widowed mother that's getting sniffed after by not one but two men.  Does Elizabeth have a golden hooch or what??

The characters are more caricatures with Rosemary and her dramatic voice inflection at the top.  The Yosts are second.  I don't even know what Molly's purpose is - maybe at one time a possible love interest for Bill?  There's just zero chemistry between all the couples - no matter how many slurpy kisses Elizabeth and Lucas share.  These people make the Amish seem wild.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah I feel like we might be getting towards the end of the series, and Liz and Luke getting married would make sense.  The only new loose end they've introduced is Mei, everyone else seems to be headed towards their respective endgames.  And there aren't many original cast members left, characters are dropping like flies.

Hallmark already cancelled Good Witch, and Chesapeake Shores is getting one last season, so ending WCtH would be consistent with them wanting to end their serial shows and possibly start fresh with some new ones.

Of course, all that being said, I also didn't think the series would survive past season six, and I was wrong there, so I could very well be wrong again.  But ten seasons is a long run.

I think there are only five adult original characters left, aren’t there? Elizabeth, Henry, Molly, Florence, and Ned? Unless you count Bill and Rosemary, who were introduced at the very end of season 1 (late enough that I thought they were both season 2 additions). 

• Useful 1

If this is the last season on Hallmark for When Calls the Heart, have to wonder if GAC will try to transition a few of the characters on to When Hope Calls. Not Elizabeth. Had enough of her. But Rosemary leaving her journalistic "career" to manage the orphanage might be kinda fun.

Or maybe not.