Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Can I just say that the 'fake out' of Nathan's memory loss as had been shown in the previews was just cheap and insulting to viewers

In the season trailer, they showed clips of all future shows which showed Nathan in a sling (he obviously recovers) and back in his uniform (he obviously didn't lose his memory)

It had no purpose only for shock value and increase interest in the next episode.  If you've been watching since the first episode of the series and are still here you don't need to be enticed to 'tune in'.  No wonder this show has very little discussion after a new episode airs

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, I finally removed this from my DVR recording list, so I'm out.

For me, Nathan's prank was the highlight of the show. It was actually funny. I didn't know he had that in him. lol

The rest of it was dirty dishwater dull.  I can't believe they have Lee being Rosemary's errand boy.  It's disgusting.  The man is a business owner. He didn't need another token job, Rosemary.   I get it. This is feminist-landopia. The only shocker is that there wasn't a new woman mayor.  Not sure what's going on there, except that they picked the dullest man on the planet to be the mayor.  Perhaps he'll just do what whatshernamewithnoplotandnojob tells him to do?  IDK and IDC.

I'm out. Y'all enjoy.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ctlady said:

It had no purpose only for shock value and increase interest in the next episode.  If you've been watching since the first episode of the series and are still here you don't need to be enticed to 'tune in'.  No wonder this show has very little discussion after a new episode airs

I'm hate watching.  The show is actually quite enjoyable if you treat it like an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and watch it purely to make fun of.  But yeah, if Mountie #1 dying, the neverending love triangle, wanting to shoot your TV every time Allie came on screen a la Elvis, and the wardrobe from Anthropologie didn't chase you away, you probably don't require weird cliffhangers to keep watching.

2 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

For me, Nathan's prank was the highlight of the show. It was actually funny. I didn't know he had that in him. lol

Kevin McGarry is so wasted in this.  He's charming and hilarious in Heartland.  I'm glad they gave him something kind of fun to do.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I assumed it was a joke even during the previews but I think as a moment it was nice to see that he and Elizabeth could have a report after she picked the other guy.  Things don't have to keep being awkward.  

• Love 2
On 3/14/2022 at 3:27 PM, Daff said:

Episode 1, dialogue between store owner and new potential pharmacist was rapid and her answers were evasive. Store owner thought he was hiring a man, but that man (supposedly) sent the woman instead. Or, maybe she just lied (with male teacher’s help) to begin with. She fast-talked her way in the door on a trial basis, and because the pharmacist was greatly needed. 

I think I'd like that plot a lot better, if we hadn't already seen it way back in the day with Dr. Quinn...

On 3/15/2022 at 2:10 PM, bybrandy said:

I don't miss Clara and Jessie at all.  

I like Lee but doesn't he still own a sawmill?  

Agreed. There are currently such a myriad of characters, it's already hard to keep track. And I know they had to make up a story about why they left, because the actors wanted out, but IMO the two of them would not have left Hope valley.

And, yeah. Lee is the boss of a fairly large operation there. I know Rosemary meant well but just when is Lee supposed to have time for the newspaper? And does he even any personal interest in being part of one (aside from supporting his wife, that is?)

7 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

This is feminist-landopia. The only shocker is that there wasn't a new woman mayor.  

Well, don't forget, Abigail was only appointed mayor by default after Henry was forced out - at the time, Canadian women still didn't have the right to vote, let alone run for office. By this point, they could, but literally just a hot minute ago. So I found it a little odd that the women were so casual about voting. You'd think Rosemary or somebody would've mentioned it was high time they had a voice in their own town...

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

think I'd like that plot a lot better, if we hadn't already seen it way back in the day with Dr. Quinn...

There ARE no new ideas, as evidenced by entertainment’s insistence on all these endless re-makes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Kenzie said:

New here and curious about the title.

Is "When Calls the Heart" the Canadian version of saying When the Heart Calls, as we would say in the U.S.?

Assuming you’re not just taking a jab here, it’s simply an artsy-fartsy change in word order, more often used in the past, in an attempt to wax poetic. Not seen much anymore in modern literature. The English language relies heavily on word order to convey meaning, which is why the title irritates some folks.  Doesn’t elevate the product for me, but to each his/her own. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Daff said:

Assuming you’re not just taking a jab here, it’s simply an artsy-fartsy change in word order, more often used in the past, in an attempt to wax poetic. Not seen much anymore in modern literature. The English language relies heavily on word order to convey meaning, which is why the title irritates some folks.  Doesn’t elevate the product for me, but to each his/her own. 

Thank you! I really was curious about the odd word order and appreciate the explanation.

• Useful 1

Getting hit by that car has been the best thing ever for Nathan. It's knocked a great personality into him. 

Maybe it wasn't the car at all. Maybe the personality infusion has come from being out of Elizabeth's immediate orbit. Or Allie's.

And poor Elizabeth. Bad case of the sads because not everyone loved her book (They were MEAN!!) and wanted to join in a rousing reprise of When Mrs. Thornton Smiles.

All kinds of nefarious plots and shenanigans threatening Hope Valley. Gonna find out soon if it's Mayor Hickam or Mayor Doofus in charge.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Getting hit by that car has been the best thing ever for Nathan. It's knocked a great personality into him.

THIS!  I like snarky, practical joking Nathan.  Too bad the car didn't knock that 'stache off him

Also, Elizabeth showed a bit of humor trying to 'act' surprised

All kinds of nefarious plots and shenanigans threatening Hope Valley. Gonna find out soon if it's Mayor Hickam or Mayor Doofus in charge.

And Lucas plotting nefarious revenge in French.

And poor Elizabeth. Bad case of the sads because not everyone loved her book (They were MEAN!!)

Gretchen Wieners:  "Hold my beer"

Hope Valley needs to change their name to 'Fem Valley'.  HM is going all out to push the women's empower agenda with a female doctor (Dr. Quinn already pushed that envelope and did it right), pharmacist, barber, school teacher, newspaper editor (wasn't Dorothy head of the paper on DQ?) for the time period.  But I do like that Henry showed apprehension about having a female doctor exam him.  That happens today - same with women not preferring a male doctor.  It's a question of comfort.  I just don't like Faith's character.  She has no purpose other than to take Carson's place.  She comes across too 'sisterly' to pull off a romantic lead.

Lee needs to get out from under Rosemary's skirt and back to his own business.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Hope Valley needs to change their name to 'Fem Valley'.  HM is going all out to push the women's empower agenda

This.  Netflix (and CBC?  I'm not sure) tried to do the same thing with Anne With An E, where they made it completely over-the-top with modern day feminist points of view (there's an episode where they use the word "consent" over and over again and it feels so out of place), and it was just as cringey there as it is here. 

Hallmark is in this weird position where they're known for very regressive social values and they're trying to fight that image, but they're trying to do it in a way that is in no way controversial.  Downton Abbey addressed women's inheritance, women in the workplace, abortion, and rape, all of which are still issues today, and they did it in an interesting and thought-provoking way that still felt accurate to the time.  Hallmark is both anachronistic in its portrayal of feminism and also incredibly shallow.  Not that I expect the topic of abortion to come up on the channel but they could actually address Lee and Rosemary's infertility.  Or has that subplot been dropped?  And they never really dove into the financial struggles the widows would face after all the men died (remember that?  I know, feels like forever ago).  Or what about how in reality Elizabeth would have been expected to quit working after getting married, and how that wasn't fair to women at the time?  There are ways to address empowerment in this alternate universe that would actually have some substance to them.

/overthinking 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

Too bad the car didn't knock that 'stache off him

...sorry, double post, but I couldn't not address this!

I kind of like the 'stache.  I wonder if Kevin McGarry is now relieved that he doesn't have to be the pretty boy male lead and he can embrace being a ridiculous character actor/occasional comic relief.

I was always team Lucas but it was because Nathan was the most boring person alive.  This Nathan might have had a shot with me... and nice to see Lucas show a little bit of bite.  

I felt like the little conversation they had in the premier (I think it was the premier) put to bed any kind of discussion of Lee and Rosemary's infertility going forward.  Them both aknowledging that the other would have been a good parent but that it didn't happen for them.  

When When Hope Calls was on the network I was sure they were going to do at least a story where they considered adoption but apparently not.  Amongst the incredibly conservative deeply religious people I know there are two factions one who does not believe at all in adoption and one faction who is like lets adopt all the kids and introduce them to Jesus, wonder if Halmark channel is like, "Nope we don't need to upset either of these groups?"  Or if they just don't want to drag the show down with more children... which I do appreciate.

I don't miss Allie at all but I also don't get how she has grandparents all of a sudden who are in a position to take care of her long term especially now that she is adopted (she was adopted by Nathan last season, right?)  I think it would make more sense if they needed her off for a while if Elizabeth had gotten her a placement at an advanced school, or something.  

I guess Covid restrictions but that school house Elizabeth teaches at was looking mighty lonely this episode.  With Eliabeth having only 6 students she could totally start a private school if/when the guy trying to take over her school comes back.  Lee and Rosemary could fund it because really they have two businesses and live in a matchbox house so what are they spending their money on? 

Which Hope Valley woman is going to end up being the person who really runs the foundry?   

Odd they brought on somebody new for Nathan rather than trying him with Fiona.  I mean I'd prefer if Fiona preferred the company of women, but I don't think Hallmark is telling that story either.  

• Love 2

I really don’t know how much longer I will watch this show. We’ve posted many times about all the anachronisms (clothes, speech, etc) and now, Molly is talking to Faith about “finding herself”!!! 
At this point, I’m only watching to see what is Mei’s big secret. If that’s not revealed within the next two episodes, I might call it quits on WCTH. 

• Love 1

I second the boring thing.  I quit the show after Mountie #1 died, then marathoned it to catch up, and am now watching in real time.  And I just finished the second season of Bridgerton and WCTH by comparison is just sad.  Both shows feature tons of anachronisms that are done on purpose, but they actually make sense in Bridgerton (or they might just be done better).  Not to mention, Bridgerton features -- *gasp* -- sexual tension!  Where are my pearls?!?  Oh and there's a scene stealing dog.  If only WCTH had a dog.  Oh, wait...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It’s definitely fallen into a pit of aimless characters just aimlessing around:

1. Lucas spent the entire episode babysitting. And in a clever foreshadowing of the night’s Oscars telecast, getting punched.

2. Lee is a reporter now? What about the mill? Did I miss something?

3. Molly is moving tables. And measuring things. And thinking of taking up “interior design” in a decidedly blue-collar town (respect to laborers, but my suspended disbelief is having trouble processing 1918-era miners and foundry workers being able to afford having somebody come in and tell them they need more doilies).

4. Faith and Henry read Elizabeth’s book. Okay.

5. Faith got to take Henry’s blood pressure. And prescribe ice for a fussy kid who was decidedly not fussy.

6. WCTH is still trying to make Mayor Milquetoast Mike happen.

7. “Where is Fiona?” “I dunno.” She’s becoming one of those soap opera kids who are stored in the attic and forgotten about, only trotted out once in a while to serve some kidnapping/custody plot or say some kid thing to the matriarch before getting stowed away again and re-emerging four episodes later having aged ten years.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, norcalgal said:

At this point, I’m only watching to see what is Mei’s big secret. If that’s not revealed within the next two episodes, I might call it quits on WCTH. 

I wonder if she ran away from an abusive marriage. When she arrived in town and Ned and Florence thought they were corresponding with a man about the position didn't she say that was her husband? I think that Faith also said something about her husband. Whenever Faith sees Mei with Nathan she gets a funny look.  Florence does too.  But Ned seems oblivious, so it might just be a faulty memory of mine.

6 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

2. Lee is a reporter now? What about the mill? Did I miss something?

Joseph said that he's doing extra work at for Lee (bookkeeping work) now that Lee is working at the paper. Joseph was thinking of asking if he can be a partial owner.  Minnie was thinking the same thing about the cafe now that Clara was gone. I guess that money was more readily available back then, But maybe they should just concentrate on Cooper before his pranks get more serious.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2022 at 11:10 PM, Artsda said:

The show is really boring. 

20 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I second the boring thing.  I quit the show after Mountie #1 died, then marathoned it to catch up, and am now watching in real time.  And I just finished the second season of Bridgerton and WCTH by comparison is just sad.  Both shows feature tons of anachronisms that are done on purpose, but they actually make sense in Bridgerton (or they might just be done better).  Not to mention, Bridgerton features -- *gasp* -- sexual tension!  Where are my pearls?!?  Oh and there's a scene stealing dog.  If only WCTH had a dog.  Oh, wait...

It really is.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, ShelleySue said:

Joseph said that he's doing extra work at for Lee (bookkeeping work) now that Lee is working at the paper. Joseph was thinking of asking if he can be a partial owner.  Minnie was thinking the same thing about the cafe now that Clara was gone. I guess that money was more readily available back then

Only in Hope Valley can you go from being the owner of a mill to writing puff pieces for your former dress shop worker turned'editor in chief' wife, from a preacher/bookkeeper to buying into said mill, from a housewife/homeschool mom to a cook with aspirations to buy out the cafe you cook at, from a dweeb to a mayor.  Hey - I'm all for being ambitious and moving up, but the  speed at which everyone's life and profession gets promoted (or in Lee's case - demoted) makes my head spin.

I just don't know if I can deal with this show anymore, but - of course - it's like The Walking Dead.  I've vested a decade worth of episodes that I can't walk away the final season.  But when I saw Lucas pulling little Jack around in a red wagon I had to switch off.  Yes, it was cute.  Yes, it was sweet of him to fill in as a sitter.  No, I don't have a problem with men taking caregiver roles.  But with the current vibe on the show to empower the women and turn the men to milquetoast, it was hard not to roll my eyes and think, "here's another emasculation in progress".  I mean, how many town menfolk back then would all be reading a book about a single frontier mother, even it was in support of one of their own citizens?  It's the reality of the era that's throwing me off

I'm sure I'll switch back on and finish it - if only to see if Elizabeth fights to keep her  certificate to teach Angela legitimate, if Lucas resumes nefarious plans in French, if Lee gets to write about what HE wants rather than what Rosemary dictates, if Mayor Mike has a spine, if Faith has any purpose, to see if Molly chooses interior design or forensics, where Bill's office will wind up being, if Lee brings Joseph in as a partner, if Minnie can buy out the cafe (does Abigail still officially own it or did Clara take it over......I don't recall?)

• LOL 5
On 3/30/2022 at 11:13 AM, ctlady said:

I mean, how many town menfolk back then would all be reading a book about a single frontier mother, even it was in support of one of their own citizens?  It's the reality of the era that's throwing me off

I mean I don't think anybody who read the book in Hope Valley gave one fig about what Elizabeth's musings as a single mother but rather because it was a person who wrote a book about her life (only slightly fictionalized) so every part that wasn't about her life was about the people in the town.  People didn't read the book to see what Elizabeth thought about Elizabeth but to see what Elizabeth thinks of them.. and what they thing about their mutual friends.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I mean I don't think anybody who read the book in Hope Valley gave one fig about what Elizabeth's musings as a single mother but rather because it was a person who wrote a book about her life (only slightly fictionalized) so every part that wasn't about her life was about the people in the town.  People didn't read the book to see what Elizabeth thought about Elizabeth but to see what Elizabeth thinks of them.. and what they thing about their mutual friends.  

Well, that is a downside of a writing a book. People who know the author might think characters sound a lot like them. Like Molly assuming the one was about her when it was about her sister. It also could be or simply taking a few characteristics for a character. And not be too thrilled with it. Sorry Elizabeth that's part of being an author.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 1:41 PM, dubstepford wife said:

overthinking

I don’t believe you are overthinking this. 14 minutes into last Sunday’s episode, and I’m ready to bail and dump the whole thing! As someone brought up above, WHY is Lee hanging around his former office? The new preacher states in this episode that Lee still runs a logging/sawmill operation (that suspiciously cannot be seen anymore, right outside that new office window!). They’re filling up the town with inane, fru-fru, in a frontier setting where more essential things are needed: shelter, housing, functional clothing, food, etc. When times were tough on the prairie, Charles could always go pick up hazardous work at the sawmill, and Caroline/kids got busy growing vegetables and selling eggs! These writers are out of their minds, living in some dystopian fantasy. I’m done! Should have seen the writing on the wall when they paved the whole town with gravel and painted it in pastels. 

• Love 1
On 3/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, ctlady said:

if Minnie can buy out the cafe (does Abigail still officially own it or did Clara take it over......I don't recall?)

They seem to be implying now, that the cafe was mysteriously handed over to Clara, when all along, it was owned by Abigail, with Bill as (not so) silent partner. Some of the funniest scenes happened with Bill trying to help out in the kitchen. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Daff said:

I don’t believe you are overthinking this. 14 minutes into last Sunday’s episode, and I’m ready to bail and dump the whole thing! As someone brought up above, WHY is Lee hanging around his former office? The new preacher states in this episode that Lee still runs a logging/sawmill operation (that suspiciously cannot be seen anymore, right outside that new office window!). They’re filling up the town with inane, fru-fru, in a frontier setting where more essential things are needed: shelter, housing, functional clothing, food, etc. When times were tough on the prairie, Charles could always go pick up hazardous work at the sawmill, and Caroline/kids got busy growing vegetables and selling eggs! These writers are out of their minds, living in some dystopian fantasy. I’m done! Should have seen the writing on the wall when they paved the whole town with gravel and painted it in pastels. 

I love "dystopian fantasy".  That's why I watch - I consider it a fantasy of sorts.  Certainly nothing like the books or real life.  If I suspend reality in my head, it is passable.  If I try too hard to find realism, I get a headache.  But, for me it is 44 minutes of mindless stuff which sometimes is okay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

For some reason today I thought there was an unusually-striking-for-tv-families resemblance between Cooper and Joseph. Turns out the actor who plays Joseph is the real-life father of both kids.

Allie is back. Yay. Too bad there wasn’t an acting school in Rock Creek. How on God’s green earth are her stupid crush on Robert and her stupid Fiona-less spa day more important to this show than Fiona?

That whole Lucas-Bill-Reptilian Guy-Jerome Smith-Gowan plot is a hot mess.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I must be the only one who didn’t mind Ally this week. She annoyed the heck of of me last season, but she wasn’t that bad this past episode. I’m willing to give her a chance based on the fact that she convinced Nathan to shave off that hideous mustache, and I liked her conversation with the ladies in the salon. How old is she supposed to be?  She just seems too young for Robert, who seemed to be more interested (or just more friendly) in Angela than Ally. 

• Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 11:32 AM, ctlady said:

But I do like that Henry showed apprehension about having a female doctor exam him.  That happens today - same with women not preferring a male doctor.  It's a question of comfort. 

Actually, back in the Victorian era, it was more than that - it was considered a matter of impropriety. They actually had these weird stethoscopes that allowed several inches between the doctor's ear and a woman's body, because many women (and/or their fathers/husbands) thought it was scandalous to have a strange man touch them that intimately. The feeling may have been changing by 1919, but as Henry is an older man, it's right on target that he would have been raised differently.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:47 PM, bybrandy said:

When When Hope Calls was on the network I was sure they were going to do at least a story where they considered adoption but apparently not.  Amongst the incredibly conservative deeply religious people I know there are two factions one who does not believe at all in adoption and one faction who is like lets adopt all the kids and introduce them to Jesus, wonder if Halmark channel is like, "Nope we don't need to upset either of these groups?"  Or if they just don't want to drag the show down with more children... which I do appreciate.

I thought so too, especially since the Coulters visited the orphanage and seemed to enjoy all the kids. Also, they have shown other characters adopting (Nathan with Allie, or Abigail with Cody and Becky) so it definitely seems they think it's a good thing. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, bybrandy said:

Elizabeth's musings as a single mother

The title really bugs me, because I really don't think anyone back in that day would have said "single mother" - that is a modern phrase. IMO it would have been "widowed mother," because "single" would imply never married, which of course was frowned upon at that time.

• Love 2

Sorry to double-post, but I figured my thoughts on last week's things could be separate from this week's...

- For a town that is quick to notice every little thing and gossip about it, did literally NO ONE notice Fiona is now blonde??

- When Fiona told Faith she wanted her to try this new hairdo that's all the rage in San Francisco, did anyone else immediately think she meant a bob? (Or would that be the show admitting the '20s are right around the corner??)

- Too bad Nathan couldn't pull Henry into the barber shop with him! All that facial hair is not a good look for the man.

- Florence finally learned to keep her mouth shut!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Actually, back in the Victorian era, it was more than that - it was considered a matter of impropriety. They actually had these weird stethoscopes that allowed several inches between the doctor's ear and a woman's body, because many women (and/or their fathers/husbands) thought it was scandalous to have a strange man touch them that intimately.

Showing my age, but I remember a new doctor on The Waltons upsetting the Baldwin sisters, and the oldest daughter had to explain that when he used the stethoscope he had to let the sister hold the end so his hand wouldn’t be so close to their chests.

• Love 2

Count me among the annoyed that Ally is back. And either she can’t act or the director is telling her to overact and yell most of her lines. She comes across strangely to say the least.

So Mr. Landis is gone (sadly, after finally showing himself to be not such a bad guy after all)… doesn’t mean there won’t be someone else replacing him to give Elizabeth a hard time about her accreditation. The next one may be even worse.

So Elizabeth and Lucas are starting to talk about marriage. I noticed on IMDB that Dan Lissing was in one recent episode of When Hope Calls and watched it. Jack appears to Abigail (since when did Hallmark let Lori Loughlin come back?) as a ghost, but it turns out she was dreaming. So is anyone else thinking what I’m thinking? Elizabeth and Lucas have a wedding ceremony, but at the “speak now or forever hold your peace” part, an objection is raised… it’s Jack, who’s actually still alive and finally (for whatever contrived reason) made it back to Hope Valley JUST IN TIME. Would these writers be corny enough to pull a stunt like this? I think they would.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Count me among the annoyed that Ally is back. And either she can’t act or the director is telling her to overact and yell most of her lines. She comes across strangely to say the least.

So Mr. Landis is gone (sadly, after finally showing himself to be not such a bad guy after all)… doesn’t mean there won’t be someone else replacing him to give Elizabeth a hard time about her accreditation. The next one may be even worse.

So Elizabeth and Lucas are starting to talk about marriage. I noticed on IMDB that Dan Lissing was in one recent episode of When Hope Calls and watched it. Jack appears to Abigail (since when did Hallmark let Lori Loughlin come back?) as a ghost, but it turns out she was dreaming. So is anyone else thinking what I’m thinking? Elizabeth and Lucas have a wedding ceremony, but at the “speak now or forever hold your peace” part, an objection is raised… it’s Jack, who’s actually still alive and finally (for whatever contrived reason) made it back to Hope Valley JUST IN TIME. Would these writers be corny enough to pull a stunt like this? I think they would.

I sometimes think that the writers will have  Elizabeth have second thoughts about Nathan. 

6 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

When Hope Calls is not on Hallmark. GAC picked it up.

I think Elizabeth will have second thoughts when she finds out whatever Lucas is not telling her about his business stuff, but they'll get past it and get married. I really don't think anything to do with Jack will happen.

10 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Would these writers be corny enough to pull a stunt like this? I think they would.

Oh please God no.  And I say that as someone who was devastated when he left and stopped watching for three years. 

It's been too long and too much has happened.  He's been off the show for as long as he was on it at this point.  They could do a near death experience or a dream or something a la Meredith in Grey's Anatomy where they interact one last time and he gives her his blessing, but to bring him back alive?  They maybe could have gotten away with that a couple of seasons ago but not now.

21 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Too bad Nathan couldn't pull Henry into the barber shop with him! All that facial hair is not a good look for the man.

I can't help it, I like the mustache.  It reminds me of Billy way back in the day, who was one of my favorite characters.  I like Kevin McGarry so much better as a goofball and the mustache just makes me smile.  It's so ridiculous.  

7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I sometimes think that the writers will have  Elizabeth have second thoughts about Nathan. 

I doubt it they are pretty clearly setting up Nathan for Mei.

7 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Oh please God no.  And I say that as someone who was devastated when he left and stopped watching for three years. 

It's been too long and too much has happened.  He's been off the show for as long as he was on it at this point.  They could do a near death experience or a dream or something a la Meredith in Grey's Anatomy where they interact one last time and he gives her his blessing, but to bring him back alive?  They maybe could have gotten away with that a couple of seasons ago but not now.

I can't help it, I like the mustache.  It reminds me of Billy way back in the day, who was one of my favorite characters.  I like Kevin McGarry so much better as a goofball and the mustache just makes me smile.  It's so ridiculous.  

I agree.  Elizabeth has been through so much since she and Jack were married.  And they were married for a minute and a half.  It would be such a weird regression to go back that way now.  And that is no disrespect at all to Jack or Dan Lissing it is just that literally everybody has moved on.

And there is absolutely no indication that Dan Lissing wants to be on this show so they'd have to do it as the series finale and that would be such a WTF series finale that asked way, way, way more questions than it answered.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I doubt it they are pretty clearly setting up Nathan for Mei.

Yes, they are, but Mei is married and a  "fugitive" and Lucas has some perhaps shady things going on.  Stranger things have happened!

34 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes, they are, but Mei is married and a  "fugitive" and Lucas has some perhaps shady things going on.  Stranger things have happened!

I mean stranger things have happened but aside from Carson who chose to leave the show has the show ever had a break up?

17 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I noticed on IMDB that Dan Lissing was in one recent episode of When Hope Calls and watched it. Jack appears to Abigail (since when did Hallmark let Lori Loughlin come back?) as a ghost, but it turns out she was dreaming. So is anyone else thinking what I’m thinking? Elizabeth and Lucas have a wedding ceremony, but at the “speak now or forever hold your peace” part, an objection is raised… it’s Jack, who’s actually still alive and finally (for whatever contrived reason) made it back to Hope Valley JUST IN TIME. Would these writers be corny enough to pull a stunt like this? I think they would.

Hallmark didn't let Lori Loughlin back - they sold the When Hope Calls spinoff to GAC. That network just announced that Daniel Lissing will be doing other stuff for them, including a Christmas movie.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I mean stranger things have happened but aside from Carson who chose to leave the show has the show ever had a break up?

Yes - Bill is divorced. When Nora showed up in Hope Valley, she was kind of dating Henry for a while.

• Love 1

Kinda wondering if Mei is, like Allie might say, married-married, or whether her family promised her in marriage and she wants no part of it and is running away - which is why she's a fugitive.

Wasn't listening all that carefully while watching last Sunday evening, but I thought she responded, "Not really," when someone (don't remember who) asked her if she was married. That conversation was immediately interrupted and the subject was abruptly changed. 

Could be wrong. Often am. Know there's been previous talk of a husband. But that line, if I heard it correctly, made me wonder.

• Love 1

Well, ya got trouble my friend, right here

I say, trouble right in River Hope Valley City ...

Is Fiona off looking for Shady Guy's credentials?

Are Florence and Molly planning to lead a performance of Grecian urns?

Has Elizabeth decided to become a Giver of Stars, change her name to Marian, and hereafter to be known as Madame Librarian?

In yet another change of careers, will Rosemary and Lee be bringing the Wells Fargo Wagon to Hope Valley?

Do 76 trombones cause as many traffic jams as 4 cars?

Did Faith receive her 6 month medical degree from the Gary Conservatory?

Does using the THINK System help someone make sense of this show, or is it all just a bunch of SHIPOOPI?

• LOL 3

Is this show trying to make us believe it’s 1915 (or earlier) with that “the new Anne of Green Gables” comment? 

Why was Elizabeth involved in disciplining Allie and Robert for an incident that happened off school grounds?

10 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Is this show trying to make us believe it’s 1915 (or earlier) with that “the new Anne of Green Gables” comment? 

I have tolerated a lot with this show.  I don't know why.  But the timeline is bizarre, and if they suddenly realize it's weird that they are ignoring WWI and they try to convince us that it's only 1914 in the show and the war hasn't started yet, I'm going to flip a table.

11 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Has Elizabeth decided to become a Giver of Stars, change her name to Marian, and hereafter to be known as Madame Librarian?

Oh please don't give Hallmark any ideas about their next historical drama.  That book deserves so much better than to be given the anachronistic Hallmark treatment.

• Love 1