Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

No Ally last night.  Yay!

I really thought there’d be a plot where Robert and Allie tag team baby sit Lil Jack. 

thank god 😅

Rosemary really is (re???) starting the newspaper. Good for her. I’m proud of her. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Rosemary is saying that some people come into your life for a season and others for a lifetime.  The image for 'a season' is Lucas, and the image for a lifetime is Nathan.  Is Hallmark sending a message?

There is a Canadian version of the promo as well which shows more from the finale and also shows Rosemary saying more of that quote with a different order of images "some for a REASON (Lucas), some for a SEASON (Nathan), and some for a LIFETIME" (Elizabeth alone but in front of the Mountie office). I think if the image placement was intentional it was just to stir interest, not to hint at anything. Here's the link to the promo on their twitter: 

On a similar note, I definitely think the ending was to misguide us into thinking she'll pick Nathan, but she's choose Lucas in the end. It's a classic Hallmark ending. Honestly part of me thinks she doesn't deserve Lucas but after last night I mostly just want to see him get his happy ending after what he's gone through this season. 

Edited by brighteyes
Added link
  • Love 7

5 hours ago, allonsyalice said:
13 hours ago, brighteyes said:

Honestly part of me thinks she doesn't deserve Lucas

You're right.

I'm with you here.

I don't really like Elizabeth, but I do like Lucas.  I suppose I have been caught up in the Nathan/Lucas team dynamic so I have preferred her choosing Lucas (because he is the one I would choose), but I would really rather see him with someone new and  exciting.

I had a thought while watching the program Sunday - just before Elizabeth started singing to her son, she said something about "just you and me".  Foreshadowing that she chooses neither of the men, after having realized that her heart really isn't with either of them?  I would like to see that.  (Factoring in the last scene with Nathan where she possibly recognized that it wasn't really him she was interested in, it was her associating him with Jack; and the last scene with Lucas where he set her free and she possibly felt relief? )  Just speculating...

• Love 5

I’ve reached the point where I think Lucas deserves so much better, and Elizabeth and Nathan deserve each other. May they leave Hope Valley together and live with the most annoying tween on the planet!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I really want to rescue Lucas from this shitty show he's on. (Tempted to write a bar owner named Lucas into my next book if that wouldnt be plagarism) I really only watch for him and Rosemary. And Lucas just deserves better. Honestly, the problem with drawn out triangles means that the main character will almost never end up in a good light after waffling and changing their mind. it makes them look fickle, and in Elizabeth's case, it makes her look selfish and lowkey weak as well. 

• Love 11

I just don’t see what’s so all-fired great about Elizabeth that she’d have two men chasing her, especially after waffling for this long.

Nathan has been coming off like a stalker (and a somewhat ill-tempered one at that), while Lucas has been treating Elizabeth really well and has been exceedingly patient with her. Even for the show’s time period, it makes no sense to me that she was so reluctant to even so much as hold hands(!!!) in public. The way she was acting, you’d think she was some blushing 16-year-old virgin, not a woman who’s been married and given birth to a child!

• Love 7

I've been positive that it would be Nathan this whole time but after last night I think it will be Lucas which could be nice because I think Nathan almost has potential with Fi.   

How weird was it Robert babysitting little Jack and that not being a plot?  Something cut or maybe filling the kid who plays Robert's contract guarantee?

What is up with the Canfield employment situation.  They move to town wanting to buy a gas station but then they buy a cabin in the woods and then they leave the cabin in the woods so they can move to town so he can become pastor and I guess okay.. and now he also works for Lee but he has to give notice to Lucas first?!?!?   So many careers.  How long until Mini at the Cafe also takes over the dress shop?

• Love 6
On 5/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, MollyMelrose said:

Surely now that Rosemary has decided to become an investigative journalist she will discover the well-kept secret that since 1914 war has been raging in every corner of the world  ... except Hope Valley.

At this point, given all the anachronisms, I fully expect Rosemary to invent social media.

• LOL 12

The triangle finishes this Sunday!! If only it had been an actual triangle...instead we got one actual suitor, Elizabeth, and a socially awkward guy moping in the corner with his niece wondering why Liz won’t choose him after no dates or alone time together.

If she chooses anyone but Lucas she’s a fool.

• Love 11

I swear, if she chooses Nathan I’m out. Not because I’m necessarily a Lucas/Elizabeth shipper, but because I am Sick. And. Tired. of Hallmark (et al) trying to force the message that What Women Really Want is Men Who Pout, Lecture, and Tell Them Their Choices are Wrong. Because, you know, attentive, courteous, supportive men are just Too Nice, amirite? She can’t possibly be happy unless her man is telling her when she’s wrong.

Rant, rant, rant...

• Love 7

Whichever one the writers have her choose, will they then have that one always wondering if she wanted the other one?  She always gets that little inhale/look when she sees one of them, like it is a big surprise she is trying to hide and her heart goes pitter patter.  She will walk down the pristine town street in her fancy coat she changes twice or more an episode holding hands with her choice.  Then the other one appears and she does that move, and the one holding her hand gets a look like "maybe she really wants him".  I am still holding out hope a third one rides into town and the decision is made.  Or she rides out of town and leaves it to Rosemary.

I am on the "snooze and you lose" train.  She has strung them along too long, Nathan gets transferred somewhere else, Lucas meets someone he likes better, and she is left with "oops, I blew it".

• Love 7
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I swear, if she chooses Nathan I’m out. Not because I’m necessarily a Lucas/Elizabeth shipper, but because I am Sick. And. Tired. of Hallmark (et al) trying to force the message that What Women Really Want is Men Who Pout, Lecture, and Tell Them Their Choices are Wrong.

That's not the reason I'd be out if she chooses Nathan.  It's because the writers didn't give one plausible reason WHY she should choose him.  They had no dates, time alone, meaningful conversations, etc.  There's just believable reason and the only motive for wasting an entire season on 'will she or won't she' was for ratings.  It's like the entire season was a cliffhanger

• Love 10

I get cliff hangers but this is stupid!! They teased us at the beginning that Elisabeth would make a choice..ugh...my pick is Lucas...I like the actor that plays  nathan...alot...but the writing wants me to have E  pick Lucas. We won't know till next season..SO that sucks big time. I'm almost done watching this poop show

• Love 3
14 hours ago, SHERMDOG said:

I get cliff hangers but this is stupid!! They teased us at the beginning that Elisabeth would make a choice..ugh...my pick is Lucas...I like the actor that plays  nathan...alot...but the writing wants me to have E  pick Lucas. We won't know till next season..SO that sucks big time. I'm almost done watching this poop show

Wait - WHAT?  I thought we find out Sunday night?

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

Wait - WHAT?  I thought we find out Sunday night?

Pretty sure it will be Sunday.  I’ve heard and seen a lot of interviews where they say the love triangle will end this season.  Besides, I think if they tried to delay it to next season to make that the cliffhanger, you would have a lot of disgusted fans who might not come back to finally find out.

• Love 1

Watch them pull a Virgin River type stunt where she makes her choice and everything seems good and resolved, and then the guy she chose gets shot and the cliffhanger is, do we know if he survived?  (for anyone who doesn't watch Virgin River this is what happened at the end of the most recent season)

Personally I still think the "cliffhanger" is going to be Abigail walking in at the last moment of the episode.  I think they've said there will be a "special guest" and when I think about meaningful past characters all I can think of is the ghost of Jack shows up in a dream to give his blessing to the new relationship (which seems very Hallmark) or LL shows up at the very end.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

I think they've said there will be a "special guest" and when I think about meaningful past characters all I can think of is the ghost of Jack shows up in a dream to give his blessing to the new relationship (which seems very Hallmark) or LL shows up at the very end.

I’ve actually seen an interview with Daniel Lissing where he says he would be happy to do something like that, but he’s not coming back.  He wants to write, produce and star in his own stuff, either here or in Oz.  I’ve seen him in other Hallmark stuff (December Bride) and it was okay and he said that Hallmark was great to work for.

• Useful 1
On 5/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Personally I still think the "cliffhanger" is going to be Abigail walking in at the last moment of the episode.  I think they've said there will be a "special guest" and when I think about meaningful past characters all I can think of is the ghost of Jack shows up in a dream to give his blessing to the new relationship (which seems very Hallmark) or LL shows up at the very end.

I don’t see how Abigail comes back. Lori was in prison while the season was shot. They re -shot the season (which was totally filmed at that point) when she was accused of her crime, which would’ve been really expensive but that shows how much they didn’t want her associated with the show.  She may still be an executive producer, I don’t know?

• Love 1

Tonight's TV guide description:

The Kiss

Elizabeth finally realizes who she is supposed to be with; big changes are coming to Hope Valley; the town rallies together to say goodbye and good luck to one of its own.

Who is leaving?

What are the big changes?

Maybe Bill?  There was the whole thing with him not being ready to give up the Mountie life, maybe he goes to a different posting?  Though I think Carson/Faith leaving would make a lot of sense, they've been hinting at that.

"Big changes" could literally mean anything.  Land developers?  They've been poking around, haven't they?  Maybe the war will finally be acknowledged and there will be a whole, "Now that that war we've never talked about is finally over, we can ________."

I am really tired of Elizabeth and haven't watched the last two episodes. The focus on the other characters this season has made the show more interesting but the triangle drove me away.  I am watching tonight and will probably catch up by viewing those episodes soon.

At this point, I would like another season and hopefully looking forward to more variety as we have seen this year. Crossing my fingers.

(edited)

Triangle - shriangle.

The real big news of the night ... Ned invented the freakin' band-aid!!!

And Nathan is gonna be just fine, especially if/when Fiona enters the picture. The man grows more of a personality any time he's near her.

Edited by MollyMelrose
  • Love 4

They are going to go the Nathan/Faith route aren't they?  And keep Fiona with Hickam. What a waste. 

For a second there, I thought they were going to full-Hallmark-villain with Nathan when he told Lucas that Elizabeth said she loved him.  But then he quickly followed it up with "but not in love with me."  Making Nathan a villain would be a far more interesting turn than this show is capable of. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, WhyAmIHere said:

They are going to go the Nathan/Faith route aren't they?  And keep Fiona with Hickam. What a waste. 

For a second there, I thought they were going to full-Hallmark-villain with Nathan when he told Lucas that Elizabeth said she loved him.  But then he quickly followed it up with "but not in love with me."  Making Nathan a villain would be a far more interesting turn than this show is capable of. 

I think there will be a triangle next season with Nathan at the center.  There were hints in earlier episodes about Nathan and Fi.

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Triangle - shriangle.

The real big news of the night ... Ned invented the freakin' band-aid!!!

And Ethan is gonna be just fine, especially if/when Fiona enters the picture. The man grows more of a personality any time he's near her.

The bolded had me rolling my eyes!  Really?!  Whatevs.

The anachronisms get even more dumb. I can't believe Lee actually said "I'm walking here" when Lucas almost ran him over.

Spoiler

Good for you Lucas - you got your happy ending. We've all mentioned here that of the two men, Lucas was the only one who "put in the work" of courting Elizabeth. He's the only one she's actually had dates with. Now that we have resolution of the triangle, I wonder if the writers/producers knew all along - from the very beginning that Lucas was going to win out and that's why Nathan never once had a date with Elizabeth or any significant intimate time (not the sex kind of course). Intimate in terms of atmosphere or heartfelt talks.

I wonder if this means 

Spoiler

both Carson and Henry are really gone from the show. Or, if they do come back, it will be just a couple of episodes.

I don't see the point of having the mayor position filled again since the town functioned perfectly well without Abigail for...?  In-show, how long has it been since Abigail left?

Finally, WHAT HAPPENED to the surprise appearance?!  Where did that rumor come from? I'm disappointed it didn't pan out.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I think there will be a triangle next season with Nathan at the center.  There were hints in earlier episodes about Nathan and Fi.

NO MORE TRIANGLES, you hear me Hallmark? And if they go down the route of

Spoiler

Faith and Nathan...poor guy has to wait however long it will take for her to fall out of love with Carson. For next season, I hope there won't be any adult romances. Maybe two of the kids can have a puppy love romance, but I'm hoping they leave the adults alone. 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thank goodness she picked Lucas! Anything else would have been unrealistic from how the season went (and really how the last 3 seasons were with him spending so much more time with her). Lucas courted her all season and deserved his happy ending. Nathan only reminded her of Jack and I'm glad she finally acknowledged that. I'm truly excited for next season to finally be something other than a love triangle. 

• Love 6

Disappointing episode. Not happy if they got rid of Henry in such a callous way.  He’s been one of my favorite characters from the beginning, even when he was bad Henry.  And did anyone get a look at Carson’s hand when he was holding the ring?  There’s no way I’d go to a doctor with such dirty hands and grime under his nails.

I have to be honest that I completely disliked when Mini confronted Elizabeth over her daughter not being allowed into school.  How could she blame Elizabeth for any of it especially when she’s been in her corner all along. If she wanted to blame anyone she should have kicked that a-hole school board member for it all.  He was the troublemaker. 

I’ll decide later, but I just don’t think this show will be must see next season.  

• Love 2

I salute Hallmark for not going to expected route of Elizabeth with another Mountie.  To me it was like trying to redo the Elizabeth/Jack romance.  People are just not interchangeable.

For myself I love Lucas and his puppy dog eyes looking at Elizabeth, his many demonstrations of his love and patience while wooing her.  His decision to step back and allow Elizabeth to chose the man she wanted without his influence was the clincher to me that he was the man she should choose.  Loved their scene on the bridge.  I think of that as their "place".  How perfect for them to give in to love there.

On other fronts, Rosemary and the newspaper is a great turn of events.  She always gives whatever she does her all.  Also love Lee running for Mayor.  How can he lose?  Everyone loves Lee and knows he is the fairest man in Hope Valley.

Hate to lose Paul Greene.  But I disliked Carson's romance with Faith.  It was dull and without spark.

Now I can look forward to next season.

• Love 8

I haven't watched the last four episodes, only read about them here. Now that I know how the triangle that never ends actually ends, I feel I can go back and watch them without being super annoyed.

1 hour ago, MollyMelrose said:

And Nathan is gonna be just fine, especially if/when Fiona enters the picture. The man grows more of a personality any time he's near her.

Even without without having watched yet whatever hinting happens in the recent episodes, I've felt this way for while. He's extremely boring (and sulky, etc.). Elizabeth didn't make him less boring, but I feel like Fiona might? Sure, in real life I'd rather someone like her not be with someone like that, but as long as he is going to be on the show, I'd rather something, anything happen to make him more tolerable.

• Love 3

I’m hoping Nathan can now let go of the guilt and the sense of duty related to Elizabeth and lighten up.  I like the actor well enough; next season they should give him something more fun.

• Love 4

Yes, I would be okay with Nathan being in a different place next season no longer carrying on guilt about jack.  I'd also be cool if Fiona was in his orbit trying to get him loosen up.

It felt like they were writing off Henry implying he'd gone to see how things might go with Abigail.  I genuinely like the actor and I'd be sorry to see him go but it isn't like there was a huge amount for Henry  to do.

Do you think they are going to cover the election next season or will we come to with Lee Mayor?   

I like Rosemary as the reporter seems like a lot of potential for her to get into scrapes.  

I liked Lucas better for a whole lot of reasons (tons) but I also thought it would do a diservice to Elizabeth's relationship with Jack (which I was meh about) if the only thing she was into was the serge.  Now, I think there absolutely would have been a story there with Elizabeth and Nathan that wasn't Elizabeth just likes mounties but they weren't telling that story.   

• Love 5

This whole triangle season has made me dislike Elizabeth. I was hoping Nathan and Lucas both wouldn't end up with her. So I feel Lucas now character will be ruined.

Nathan will interesting to see.

• Love 2

Well played, show.  I didn't think you had it in you.  But Liz acknowledging that, while she liked Nathan, she wasn't in love with him, and that she was projecting her memory of Jack onto him?  That's the most rational and logical thing I think I've ever seen you do.  Poor Kevin McGarry though, this is the second show in which his love life is really hurting (this and Heartland).  But I do think they're setting him up to be with either Fiona or Faith.

8 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I’ll decide later, but I just don’t think this show will be must see next season.  

Same.  This isn't a bad ending and for me, I feel like I can walk away with some closure.  The show is absolutely suffering from been-on-too-long-itis and I'm just not interested anymore.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, bluemm said:

Guess what I can't get excited about? Next season.

Reasons not to get excited:

1.  Instead of a love triangle we're going to have a political triangle with the mayoral race among Bill, Lee, and Fiona.

2.  A new romance budding between Faith and Nathan.  Yawn.

3. Are we going to find out where Henry went?  Did he go to see his son (always forget his name) because he was looking at his picture or did he go to see Abigail because he was looking at the diner sign?  Does anyone care?

4. What is going on with the Pinkertons and who is buying up the land?  I'm not a history expert so I have no idea what was going on at that time (not that the show keeps true to history).  Someone isn't just trying to buy land, but also businesses (eg the salon and the saloon).

5. Will Elizabeth's book be a success?  Will she continue to teach?  Will the school become part of the county?  Will she become certified to teach blind children?

6.  Will Elizabeth and Lucas be happy or will there be obstacles thrown in their way?

7. And most importantly, will Baby Jack ever talk?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

7. And most importantly, will Baby Jack ever talk?

This is the biggest mystery, imo. 

I'm glad this love triangle shit is over but at the same time it doesn't feel earned. Lucas deserves better, a person who will actually love him and be a partner with him, unlike Elizabeth, who just waffled. 

Did they have that whole ass graduation ceremony just for Robert? That's wild. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Did they have that whole ass graduation ceremony just for Robert? That's wild.

What happened to Robert's dream of becoming a Mountie?  Now he's babysitting Baby Jack, delivering the mail, and delivering the "Valley Voice" so he can save up enough money to buy a horse.  Please, please, please don't tell me he's hanging around Hope Valley because of Allie.

• Love 3

I haven't watched the finale yet, but I did watch the "bridge" scene.  I can't believe the writers actually put Lucas and Liz together!  I'm thrilled!  But in disbelief. Lucas really has been her only suitor but looking back, it's hella awkward that Nathan declared his love, told her he wasn't giving up, and even had Ally involved in trying to set them up.  Why couldn't she speak her mind before now?  Just tell Nathan you aren't interested.  Ugh.

Also, why be so hesitant with Lucas?  He built her a library, got her book published, took her on dates.  He even lets her go because she's always mooning over Nathan.  But suddenly she decides it's Lucas?  After worrying about even holding his hand?  I'm excited they are together, but the hesitancy was nuts.

For the writers, I don't like that they got Ally involved in the triangle, I also think its dumb they called it a triangle because Nathan really never made a move.  He was just waiting for her to come to him.  Whatever.  Women want to be wooed.

I do wonder if they'll have Lucas sell the saloon since so many viewers seem to take issue with him being a saloon owner.  It's more of a gathering place for the town, but maybe he'll go into oil full time?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

4. What is going on with the Pinkertons and who is buying up the land?  I'm not a history expert so I have no idea what was going on at that time (not that the show keeps true to history).  Someone isn't just trying to buy land, but also businesses (eg the salon and the saloon).

Someone on the show mentioned that a factory will be built on that land.  The man who is representing the factory is trying to buy up shops for himself because he thinks that with the factory built Hope Valley will become a boom town and he will make a lot of money.

• Love 1

I think the biggest relief for me is no more Nathan peeing on the corners whenever Lucas is around rather than, you know, actually courting Elizabeth. 

Sigh. Faith is a good idea (female doctor in a frontier town), but for someone who must have faced a lot of adversity to get where she is, she sure is written (and played) like a complete milquetoast. How did she get through school? For that matter, how did she get to Hope Valley? Didn’t she also follow Jack? Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a Jane Seymour casting! 

I kind of love Rosemary as the newspaper editor. More, please! 

• Love 7

For next season (and beyond  - god help us if this show goes beyond 9 seasons!!!) I've seen more hints WCTH wants to pair up Nathan and Fiona than Nathan and Faith.

1. Allie getting a certain look on her face when Fiona mentioned the specific fishing knot
  2. Fiona stating she was open to love now that she resolved whatever it was with the guy in San Francisco
  3. Molly answering Florence's Q by responding that Molly doesn't see Fiona and Hickam as a couple

In fact, the Nathan/Faith speculation only happened in this episode when she bandaged his hand.

Two things about a possible Nathan/Fiona pairing:

1. I've stated here before that although I feel an "opposites attract" pairing can work (Lee & Rosemary is a perfect example), I just can't really see it lasting long with Nathan/Fiona. I feel like his personality is such that over time, Fiona's perkiness/go-getter/spirited personality might irk Nathan. I can't see him appreciating the type of woman she is over the long haul.
  2. If the two actors ever stop dating IRL, that's gonna make for awkwardness if their characters are still paired together on the show. That's for the producers/writers to resolve if it happens...
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I think the biggest relief for me is no more Nathan peeing on the corners whenever Lucas is around rather than, you know, actually courting Elizabeth. 

Sigh. Faith is a good idea (female doctor in a frontier town), but for someone who must have faced a lot of adversity to get where she is, she sure is written (and played) like a complete milquetoast. How did she get through school? For that matter, how did she get to Hope Valley? Didn’t she also follow Jack? Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a Jane Seymour casting! 

I kind of love Rosemary as the newspaper editor. More, please! 

I think you meant to write peeping, so this made me ROFL!!!

And I too thought of Faith Carter, Medicine Woman...  😉

• LOL 7
26 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

If the two actors ever stop dating IRL, that's gonna make for awkwardness if their characters are still paired together on the show. That's for the producers/writers to resolve if it happens...

Yeah this is one of those things where it's a plus while they're together but it immediately creates a problem if they break up.  It's a plus because in Hallmark land they wouldn't be "cheating" on their real-life partners to kiss.  Wasn't there a Hallmark actor who insisted on his real-life wife being brought in for kissing scenes?  I follow Kevin McGarry on IG and he doesn't seem religious at all so I doubt this would be an issue for him but still, to the hausfraus kissing someone who isn't your partner in real-life somehow constitutes infidelity.  But if they break up?  AWK-WARD.  

And honestly, I want to like a Nathan-Fiona pairing but with Nathan's current personality it seems a little too Manic Pixie Dream Girl, this idea of women somehow saving dour men from themselves and getting them to enjoy life.  The problem with that trope is, what does the woman get out of it exactly?  Nathan hasn't exactly shown himself to be a catch.  If he perks up and gets nicer/more fun I guess that's cool, but it's another one of these stereotypes that paints women as having to rescue/change men, and it doesn't happen in real life.  Those situations just turn into toxic codependencies.

• Love 2