Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

As much as I wish, Jack isn’t coming back 3 seasons later.  I blame this stupid idea that suddenly Nathan has known something about Jack at his last post but never bothered to tell his widow even when previously asked.  Why does it take something about Jack to get Nathan and Elizabeth together?

Daniel Lissing wanted off the show after the 3rd season.  He only appeared in half the episodes for his last two seasons while the show runners figured out what to do.

He hasn’t appeared in another Hallmark movie since then either.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

As much as I wish, Jack isn’t coming back 3 seasons later.  I blame this stupid idea that suddenly Nathan has known something about Jack at his last post but never bothered to tell his widow even when previously asked.  Why does it take something about Jack to get Nathan and Elizabeth together?

Daniel Lissing wanted off the show after the 3rd season.  He only appeared in half the episodes for his last two seasons while the show runners figured out what to do.

He hasn’t appeared in another Hallmark movie since then either.

I wish I could like this more than once!

Jack is toast, y'all.  It does suck that Hallmark ended up casting someone who bailed on the series as quick as he did.  Given that the same exact thing is about to happen on Chesapeake Shores with Jesse Metcalfe, Hallmark either treats its male leads terribly or they've just been really unlucky casting flakes.  If only Kevin McGarry had been cast as Jack way back in the day, what a different thread this would be.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

Jessie & Clara can take their marital issues and jump off a cliff - and take Faith with them.  I just don't like the character.  I think she's whiny and needy.  I'm guessing after fixing Ned that Carson is going to remain in Hope Valley, but UGH - I don't want him with Faith.  There's just no chemistry.  Nothing.  Not even a spark.  All the couples except Lee and Rosemary are bland, boring and vanilla

I don’t know if this has ever been suggested before, but it would solve a lot of problems if Elizabeth and Carson got together and Faith left town to be a doctor on a remote outpost somewhere.  Carson and Elizabeth could have good chemistry . . . Both well educated, nurturing and considerate.  Lucas could go off with Fiona and Nathan could end up with Clara after Jessie dies in a horrible logging accident . . .

• LOL 4

The whole storyline with Elizabeth/Lucas/Nathan has been about the triangle and Elizabeth needing to make a choice.  

What happens once she does?  Where do they go from there?

What storyline could you see if she chooses Lucas?

What storyline could you see if she chooses Nathan?

2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

The whole storyline with Elizabeth/Lucas/Nathan has been about the triangle and Elizabeth needing to make a choice.  

What happens once she does?  Where do they go from there?

What storyline could you see if she chooses Lucas?

What storyline could you see if she chooses Nathan?

I don't know "where do they go from here" or what storylines could result, but whoever Elizabeth ends up with, it's sure to be awkward if all three characters remain on the show. Thus, I wish they'd have her make her decision once and for all  - and then end the series.

• Love 1

Since it doesn’t look like a third prospect will ride into town and sweep Elizabeth off her feet maybe after she chooses one of them, the other one will hook up with Fiona and look like they are having a better time than Elizabeth and new fellow. If she chooses Lucas then Nathan and Fiona can fall passionately in love - there is already potential since they are dating in real life.  And they will walk past Elizabeth engrossed in each other and she will look wistful. 

• Love 2
On 4/8/2021 at 6:36 PM, lookeyloo said:

Since it doesn’t look like a third prospect will ride into town and sweep Elizabeth off her feet maybe after she chooses one of them, the other one will hook up with Fiona and look like they are having a better time than Elizabeth and new fellow. If she chooses Lucas then Nathan and Fiona can fall passionately in love - there is already potential since they are dating in real life.  And they will walk past Elizabeth engrossed in each other and she will look wistful. 

I wouldn't mind that but they have that milquetoast friend of Jesse's hanging around flirting with Fiona.  The one that always turns up to get a haircut.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I wouldn't mind that but they have that milquetoast friend of Jesse's hanging around flirting with Fiona.  The one that always turns up to get a haircut.

You mean, Erin Krakow’s (Elizabeth’s) real life boyfriend...

• Useful 1
On 4/8/2021 at 2:27 PM, norcalgal said:

whoever Elizabeth ends up with, it's sure to be awkward if all three characters remain on the show

Lucas has a business in town; Nathan could ask to be re-assigned elsewhere.  But if they both stay, then you have an on-going storyline about how they all handle it.  

A popular saying with authors is, if you don't have conflict, you don't have a story.  I don't know if I believe that, but maybe the above would work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

You mean, Erin Krakow’s (Elizabeth’s) real life boyfriend...

I was pretty sure I'd heard that but I couldn't find official confirmation on that... but... yeah that makes it less likely they'd divest in him.   

Why are they repeating the Jesse/Clara storyline with Rachel and Henry’s son (sorry I can’t remember his name).  Jesse was an outlaw scumbag but changed his ways.  And now the kid, who started out as a scumbag, might become a better person if Rachel stays. 

• Love 2

In the end, Allie is going to get exactly what she wants and face zero consequences for her bratty behavior, isn’t she?

Early in the episode, Nathan told Elizabeth “you don’t know me at all.”  Ain’t that the truth and I’m not even talking about the Jack reveal. These two never talk about anything other than Allie. There is no basis for this relationship but somehow we’re supposed to believe it’s true love. 

• Love 9

You said --

19 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Ain’t that the truth and I’m not even talking about the Jack reveal. These two never talk about anything other than Allie. 

Something that I really dislike in Hallmark movies is how kids are treated as small beings that simply cannot be told the truth.  I believe that, when appropriately shared and on a proper level, kids can understand how adults feel about something.  Allie can be told that love is a special feeling, and that while Nathan and Eliz are friends, they do not have that special feeling for one another.  Or something like that.  A kid could understand that. 

But on Hallmark shows, I have watched where one person is left standing at the altar, in front of family and friends, while the other person walks away with no explanation at all.  A few years later, the runaway person shows up in town, a kid takes a liking to them, and suddenly the child invites said person to all sorts of events and the other adult acts like they have been struck mute.  It makes adults look stupid, it makes the kid look like a little dictator, and there is no basis for trust or truth in a relationship.  That is  just preposterous. 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

In the end, Allie is going to get exactly what she wants and face zero consequences for her bratty behavior, isn’t she?

Early in the episode, Nathan told Elizabeth “you don’t know me at all.”  Ain’t that the truth and I’m not even talking about the Jack reveal. These two never talk about anything other than Allie. There is no basis for this relationship but somehow we’re supposed to believe it’s true love. 

2 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

You said --

Something that I really dislike in Hallmark movies is how kids are treated as small beings that simply cannot be told the truth.  I believe that, when appropriately shared and on a proper level, kids can understand how adults feel about something.  Allie can be told that love is a special feeling, and that while Nathan and Eliz are friends, they do not have that special feeling for one another.  Or something like that.  A kid could understand that. 

[snip]

If we are to believe Nathan, he said that he explained the situation to Allie, but kid doesn't care. She wants to think/feel/believe what she wants to believe. Even after Elizabeth talked to her, Allie was still a brat about the situation.

Anyhoo...because it's Hallmark, of course there's a triangle. However, since they now revealed what we all suspected -  that Nathan was tangentially involved in Jack's death, I don't see how the show could pair Nathan and Elizabeth. She will always associate him with Jack's death. So if the show goes the route of Lucas and Elizabeth being Endgame...it'll make me even more angry they wasted two years on this stupid triangle that didn't need to be. WCTH should have just had Nathan's part in Jack's death revealed from the very beginning. Can ya tell I'm exhausted by this triangle?!?!

Last thing:  here were the anachronisms that bugged me in this episode (in no particular order):

1) Someone greeted someone else (I think in Ned's mercantile) with the greeting:  "hey"  Did people really do that in this time period?

2) Elizabeth told Allie she was "seeing" Lucas. Again, did people really use that word - or even the word "dating" which was used in the show before?

3) Robert spouted the mail carrier motto* even though this is supposed to be Canada - whereas the motto is traditionally used for US mail carriers!  And anyway, the USPS does not have a motto, per the below from the USPS blog:

*While the Postal Service has no official motto, the popular belief that it does is a tribute to America’s postal workers. “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”— is not the official Postal Service motto though it appears chiseled in gray granite over the entrance of the James A. Farley building at Eighth Avenue and 33d Street in Manhattan.

The phrase comes from book 8, paragraph 98, of The Persian Wars by Herodotus, a Greek historian. During the wars between the Greeks and Persians (500-449 B.C.), the Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers who served with great fidelity.

The firm of McKim, Mead & White designed the Post Office, which opened to the public on Labor Day in 1914. One of the firm’s architects, William Mitchell Kendall, was the son of a classics scholar and read Greek for pleasure. He selected the “Neither snow nor rain …” inscription, which he modified from a translation by Professor George Herbert Palmer of Harvard University, and the Post Office Department approved it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Exactly! She doesn't know him - and he barely knows her yet says he loves her and wants her to love him back. But they have no common interests. And in this episode it's clear that her only concern is for Allie, her student, and yet he still hasn't set Allie straight about them being together. She acts like a brat when she doesn't get her way and he says he's still going to try to get with Elizabeth even though she's made it clear that she's seeing Lucas now. They're exactly the same and he's a terrible role model. 

45 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

As of this evening, Lucas has no ascended into the category of -- men who do not really exist.

Lucas literally gets better with each episode. That office scene was 🔥.  And I love that they continue to progress in their relationship. She's definitely falling for him and wants more. 

Unfortunately from the promo I think Lucas is going question their relationship and step back once he finds out what exactly she said to Nathan after he declared his love. And then it'll be up to Elizabeth to make a move. Meanwhile Nathan will try to get in with her but I really don't think she'll go for it after this reveal. Why would you want to be with the guy who essentially is the reason why her husband is no longer with her? It's weird enough that he's continuing to pursue her after revealing that.

I think that bit of back and forth will be the "don't think it's over yet" part of the triangle they keep teasing but in the end I think it's definitely leaning in Lucas' favor now. 

• Love 4

I am not on the Lucas train and won't be.  Can Elizabeth ever have a conversation with anyone, without Lucas lurking 2 feet away?  and now he is suddenly giving her advice about her other relationships?  its overstepping.  ... Just like when he attempted to buy her affection at every turn...libraries, books, the mom book deal, fancy dinners.  He acts more like a groomer than someone in love. 

• Love 3

Am I the only one who is bugged about the way Elizabeth keeps thanking Lucas for his patience, like he is doing her some special favor?  Hello, any gentleman should be patient with a woman in that situation.  I am glad that he is sensitive to her need.

Nathan remains sullen and sulking about her rejection.  Lucas is thinking about her and what she needs; Nathan is thinking about himself and what he wants.  It shows the character of both men - I am glad she now seems even farther from Nathan after tonight's reveal.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

1) Someone greeted someone else (I think in Ned's mercantile) with the greeting:  "hey"  Did people really do that in this time period?

2) Elizabeth told Allie she was "seeing" Lucas. Again, did people really use that word - or even the word "dating" which was used in the show before?

I mean this is the same show that had a BACHELORETTE PARTY. last season (or whatever), so no but they're gonna do it. 

Same with Rachel and that guy (Christopher???????) 1) being unchaperoned 2) kissing like idk guys it iS 1915 in a pretty religious town neither of those things would happen and she'd be pretty concerned with keeping her modesty/purity in tact

Side note, Florence looked BEAUTIFUL in that green outfit she wore, that's definitely her colour. Also the woman who plays Minnie is STUNNING!!!!!!

Show still thinks I should care about couples that have not been earned! Rachel and Christopher, Ned and Florence. There's no emotional backstory, and Im contrary, so im not gonna be for it just because the show tells me to! 

I'm so tired of this love triangle. I have no patience for men who treat women like a prize, but then do nothing but sulk and whine. Idk nothing Nathan has ever done has shown me that he is a man worthy of a romantic relationship

And as much as I love and stan Lucas, who has charm and charisma in spades, this relationship is so uneven. She does nothing for him, he does everything for her. I wish this show had something else going on other than relationships and people talking about relationships. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Last thing:  here were the anachronisms that bugged me in this episode (in no particular order):

Two things caught my attention as seeming out of place.

1- one of the men (I've already forgotten who) said to another something like "we could just get a coffee."  It just seemed like a modern age-of-Starbucks kind of phrasing to me.

2 - Mrs. Canfield bringing her husband a glass of lemonade with a nice lemon slice adorning the rim.  I couldn't help but wonder about the likelihood of finding and affording enough lemons for that at the mercantile in Hope Valley back in its alleged time setting.

My theory on Rosemary's plot line is that Hallmark has a bunch of kids from their ditched series "When Hope Calls" still under contract.  Rosemary's desire for kids will lead to her starting an orphanage right there in Hope Valley, giving her something meaningful to do, giving Elizabeth more students, and allowing Hallmark to wrap up any open contracts still in effect.  

Characters I'm ready to see gone include Clara and Jesse, Robert the courier kid, Allie the smart ass kid, Henry Gowan and his alleged son, and Rachel, who showed up because Lee's sister thought Bellingham was not a good place for Rachel to celebrate her birthday (?) but suddenly changed her mind and wants her to come home after all.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

Same with Rachel and that guy (Christopher???????) 1) being unchaperoned 2) kissing like idk guys it iS 1915 in a pretty religious town neither of those things would happen and she'd be pretty concerned with keeping her modesty/purity in tact

Is it a pretty religous town if the church has been excluively a school for at least 4 seasons?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, eyelash said:

1- one of the men (I've already forgotten who) said to another something like "we could just get a coffee."  It just seemed like a modern age-of-Starbucks kind of phrasing to me.

2 - Mrs. Canfield bringing her husband a glass of lemonade with a nice lemon slice adorning the rim.  I couldn't help but wonder about the likelihood of finding and affording enough lemons for that at the mercantile in Hope Valley back in its alleged time setting.

Omigosh - yes, I forgot about these in my bullet points of anachronisms that took me out of the show!

(It was Lee who made that comment to Bill in Nathan's "office".)

And as @eyelash posted, it's my understanding that any kind of citrus was difficult to obtain, and would be very expensive! Supply chains, and the methods to transport produce without them perishing were fairly primitive in the early 20th century.

It's at the point I see these anachronisms and just think to myself:  "this effing show"!  {{{ head shake }}}

• Love 1
2 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

And as much as I love and stan Lucas, who has charm and charisma in spades, this relationship is so uneven. She does nothing for him, he does everything for her. I wish this show had something else going on other than relationships and people talking about relationships. 

This to infinity!!!  I don't really 'ship either Lucas/Liz or Nathan/Liz but:

1) I think Nathan/Liz make the "prettier", more aesthetically pleasing couple; and

2) it does really seem one-sided that Lucas seems to put in the majority of the work in that relationship, while Lizzie sits back and soaks the perks and adulation. Poor Lucas...

I don't really pay attention to how many episodes are in a season. Is this season almost over?  And is it confirmed there will be a next season?

• Love 1

I hate Nathan. He's such a jerk to Elizabeth. I do love that he tells her she doesn't know him. Now that was the truth and the most frustrating thing about the Nathan-Elizabeth pairing. She doesn't know him. They never talk about anything but Ally and he's constantly rude and being a jerk to her. Its been two seasons and they still haven't given us a reason to root for him ending up with Elizabeth. They haven't given Elizabeth a reason for it either. All we know is he's a Mountie and has an annoying niece. That's it. They've spent no time building up the couple. The only one he seems remotely nice to is Bill. And now it turns out he's the reason Jack's dead. Because of course he is. 

I hate Ally. She's such a brat. I really wish she was off the screen. 

I hate Jesse. He's such annoying manchild. I know I wondering when they were going to get married after dating for years. But now I wonder why Clara doesn't just leave him. She could do so much better. He whines, complains and doesn't listen to her. He wanted to buy a motorcycle and then blows all their money. But then he has the nerve to act like a jerk. He gets mad at his friend for telling him he's crappy to live with and tells him to go home. Then you have Joseph I don't want to be a minister telling Clara to take him back why? He's really done nothing to deserve it. He's ignored her, he blew their money, and hasn't apologized for it or did anything to remotely make up for it.

I hate Christopher. He's such a jerk. He stole Lee's watch, complained to Lucas about a bigger room and spent most of this episode yelling at him. I wish Lucas would put him in his place. Rachel knows he stole her uncle's wastch but is okay with it. Nope, she's not going to tell anyone. Because for some reason she finds that hot? Delightful.

I love Lucas and wish I could find a Lucas of my own. He's really nice. He takes Elizabeth on dates, takes interest in her interests, built her a library, and they talk about things. I loved that scene with them in the office. I really wish she would pick him.  

Now Ned and Florence are instantly in love and getting married. When they showed Ned interest in her a couple episodes back I was interested. We haven't seen either one do much but instead of letting them date and develope a relationship and see where it goes. They go with instantly in love and engaged. Why? There's no reason to rush them through. Why won't this show let anyone develop a relationship? They've wasted two seasons on Nathan and Elizabeth doing nothing but talking about Ally. They've immediately put Ned and Florence together. Idiot Rachel and Christopher are already kissing. Why? I don't even know what their doing with Carson and Faith.

The only great couple on the show is Lee and Rosemary. Their happy together, they talk, spend time together. Lee's not an ass to Rosemary or act like a man child. I love how happy and cheerful Rosemary is. She's really one of the few characters that are happy. They try to make each other happy. I do wish they'd get to the point of whatever Rosemary is going to do next. But I do like the couple.

I wish they'd give Jesse's friend a love interest or something more to do. He seems nice but doesn't really do much. Same with Fiona. She's really great but she's been missing a couple episdes. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, crimson23 said:

I am not on the Lucas train and won't be.  Can Elizabeth ever have a conversation with anyone, without Lucas lurking 2 feet away? 

The same can be said on the flip side - Why does Nathan always just 'happen' to be riding by when Elizabeth and Lucas are talking in the middle of the street?

7 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Am I the only one who is bugged about the way Elizabeth keeps thanking Lucas for his patience, like he is doing her some special favor?  Hello, any gentleman should be patient with a woman in that situation.  I am glad that he is sensitive to her need.

And it's this that makes me fear a possible direction the writers may go in to make Lucas look like a predator.  He can't 'wait' any longer and confronts Elizabeth about making a commitment (more than just holding hands in public).  I don't see the show going the route where he forces her (please not!) to where Nathan has to swoop in and.....UGH, even playing it out in my head makes me ill

• Love 4

Sure, Elizabeth doesn't know Nathan but Nathan doesn't know Elizabeth.  I'm actually a little surprised that we've made it 8 episodes without a date or some kind of alone time beyond a minute with Nathan and Elizabeth and not talking about Ally.  If it's really a "triangle" it's really just based off his out of nowhere love declaration and she thinking he's a good uncle and good looking?  Whether she realizes it or not, she's in an actual relationship with Lucas.  But if they let them kiss, it's game over for a future with Nathan.  Whatever.

I think the writers are some how trying to mirror Clara and Jesse with Elizabeth and Nathan...should be in love, but he has this terrible secret, so they are fighting and apart.   Jesse's secret is something with their money that will turn out to be nothing or wonderful for them.  Nathan's secret is that he inadvertently got Jack killed but ridiculously didn't tell Elizabeth about it for 3 freaking years.  Because Jack somehow has to be involved in them getting together. Whatever.

Three episodes are left, I don't see how she dates Lucas up until choosing Nathan?  She still doesn't know him.  I also think Lucas leaves town if she chooses Nathan.  What would be the point of staying...and it's not Fiona.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

And it's this that makes me fear a possible direction the writers may go in to make Lucas look like a predator.  He can't 'wait' any longer and confronts Elizabeth about making a commitment (more than just holding hands in public).  I don't see the show going the route where he forces her (please not!) to where Nathan has to swoop in and.....UGH, even playing it out in my head makes me ill

Yep.  Here comes the character assassination.  I honestly don't blame the guy for being a little frustrated, he's done nothing wrong and he's been patient for three freaking years.  Yes, you should be patient with your partners but you also shouldn't let yourself get jerked around.  At some point it's like, sh*t or get off the pot, Liz.  But because this is Hallmark and Elizabeth is perfect it can't be her fault.  Lucas will screw up in some monumental way that ends their relationship forever, and yet it's going to be totally fine that Nathan is the reason Jack is dead, because, destiny?  Or something?

Speaking of which...obvious secret was obvious.  

I know there are a few episodes left, but I'm gonna predict one more season after this one.  I know, I know, I predicted the series would die after Jack died and it didn't, but hey, speculation is what we're here for, right?  Lucas departs at the end of this season following an epic screw up/character assassination, Liz and Nathan spend the next (and final) season falling in love, we'll perhaps see some brief cameos from DL (where he tells Liz in a dream it's okay to forgive Nathan, he died doing what he loved, etc.) and possibly even Aunt Becky, season/series ends with them getting married, her being preggo again, and either settling in Hope Valley or departing for a posting up North.  

• Love 3

So that's it??? Jack was ordered to go in Nathan's place because Nathan was being disciplined and this is the BIG REVEAL??? Oh gag me!!

I started watching this show a couple of seasons back and thought it was charming. Now thanks to this annoying "triangle" whatever charm it had has been drained by this turgid, unending storyline. However, my mother likes it and likes me to watch it with her, so here I am....

I still find some of the actors interesting and Henry's storyline is great and I loved Bill's exit in his Mountie uniform, but overall, the writing sucks. Hey, writers, I would pay you money to have the final shot of the season be Elizabeth making a public pronouncement in the town square that, "I choose... ME!" 

• LOL 5

Please let this be the end of the triangle.  After the "big reveal" I just cannot see Elizabeth getting together with Nathan - every time she looks at him it would remind her that he is in a way responsible for Jack's death.

Also, his "I'm not going to give up" was just creepy and unpleasant and it completely disrespects her feelings.  Red flag!!  

You can tell Nathan and Allie are related - both of them sulk when they don't get their way.  Not someone I would want to be in a relationship with!

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Yep.  Here comes the character assassination.  I honestly don't blame the guy for being a little frustrated, he's done nothing wrong and he's been patient for three freaking years.  Yes, you should be patient with your partners but you also shouldn't let yourself get jerked around.  At some point it's like, sh*t or get off the pot, Liz.  But because this is Hallmark and Elizabeth is perfect it can't be her fault.  Lucas will screw up in some monumental way that ends their relationship forever, and yet it's going to be totally fine that Nathan is the reason Jack is dead, because, destiny?  Or something? 

I'd feel really bad for Lucas if they did a character assassination to shoe horn in an Elizabeth U-turn. Guy doesn't deserve that...

1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

Please let this be the end of the triangle.  After the "big reveal" I just cannot see Elizabeth getting together with Nathan - every time she looks at him it would remind her that he is in a way responsible for Jack's death.

I posted the same thought after this latest episode aired.  If E & N are indeed Endgame, I'm curious to see how the show will address this, or will they play ostrich?!?!

• Love 3

Does it seem as if the writers are prepping the show to be cancelled?  All the school kids are grown, so Elizabeth isn’t teaching much anymore, Faith and Carson may get married and move to Baltimore, Allie and her uncle/dad can just leave.  I want Elizabeth to go back to Hamilton and Bouchard can go back to New Orleans. 

No matter how you feel about Lori and her visit to prison, I feel the show went downhill after she left. She held the cast together and along with Jack Wagner, she was the best actor by far.  Her loss left a huge hole. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:
3 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I posted the same thought after this latest episode aired.  If E & N are indeed Endgame, I'm curious to see how the show will address this, or will they play ostrich?!?!

Plus, Nathan has been rude and sulky to Elizabeth ever since she told him she was not choosing him.  Does he really think this is the way to win her heart??

And is this the way you treat someone you (supposedly)  love?

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

No matter how you feel about Lori and her visit to prison, I feel the show went downhill after she left. She held the cast together and along with Jack Wagner, she was the best actor by far.  Her loss left a huge hole.

I'm an old school Heartie and to this day I maintain they should have ended it after Season 5.  Lori had kind of taken over the show at that point but she did have charisma and the Elizabeth-Abigail friendship was genuinely heartwarming.  Without her and DL (who wasn't a great actor but was better than average by Hallmark standards) it does feel like the soul of the show was gone.  I know that Hallmark didn't anticipate losing two leads at the same time, but still.  And that way there would have been no heartbreak with Jack dying, bad love triangles that never seem to end, annoying nieces, or the glaring absence of WWI (it's a lot easier to explain not talking about WWI in 1915 when it was still early days than in 1918 when it was ending).

I don't get why Hallmark doesn't make other serial dramas.  Too expensive maybe?  They've been coasting on WCTH, Chesapeake Shores, and Good Witch for almost a decade now, but they're all pretty played out.  Send them to a farm upstate and come up with some new stuff.

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 4

The most dynamic relationship this season is Elizabeth and Sargent, Jack’s horse.

At least 3 scenes per show where Elizabeth can come galloping up to her mark and deliver her lines..

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, brighteyes said:

Lucas literally gets better with each episode. That office scene was 🔥.  And I love that they continue to progress in their relationship. She's definitely falling for him and wants more.

Finally they show Elizabeth acting like she's physically attracted to Lucas! Up until now she's behaved so primly with him as if holding hands was third base or something. Maybe it was hearing him speak French that did it for her? 😉 As much as I love courtly, sensitive Lucas, I do still mourn the potential I saw in the character when he first appeared on the show. He seemed roguish then and I thought it would be fun if Elizabeth fell for a "bad boy" after her relationship with do-gooder Jack for all those years. But nope, they had to sanitize Lucas so that he'd be worthy of Princess Elizabeth. SIGH I regret he didn't just lose interest in Elizabeth because she's so much darn work (and has zero sex appeal) and strike up something flirty with Fiona instead.

Speaking of whom, where did Kayla Wallace go? Fiona is one of the few characters left on this show that I actually enjoy, but they sideline her with the dumb opening a barber shop storyline then she leaves town for what seems like months.

I can't even with Henry's son. That kid is a bad seed. I still don't understand why he flipped out and blamed Lucas for Henry's health issues. WTH does Lucas have to do with that? He offered Henry a good job; Henry took it, end of story. Henry's a grown man. If he was not physically well enough to work, he owed it to his employer to say something. Or maybe his doctor could have advised him against doing stressful work. Honestly, I wish they'd stop giving the characters on this show serious health problems since they never tell us exactly what they are. Carson and Faith don't seem to have a clue what they're doing and God forbid they actually give anyone a diagnosis. We still don't know what the heck was wrong with Ned. They did exploratory surgery and found what? Why did the first surgery just make things worse, but the second surgery miraculously cured him?

There are so many bad, chemistry-free couples on this show, but I think Faith and Carson really do take the cake. I honestly don't understand their relationship. It seems much too "modern." At their ages why would they be in a serious relationship for years without ever discussing future plans/goals and marriage? And why do they keep changing their minds about whether they want to ply their medical trade in the big city or stay in Hope Valley? First it was Faith wanting to go to medical school in the city while Carson stayed behind and pined for her. Couldn't he have just followed her there and pursued his surgeon dreams while she worked toward her degree? Now she wants to stay in HV while he wants to go to the city. Figure your sh*t out, people!

The minute Elizabeth chooses petulant, disrespectful Nathan over Lucas, which I'm convinced is what they're building toward, I'm peacing out of this show for good. I just can't support that decision as a viewer, and it will aggravate me too much to keep watching. I rue the day the writers ever came up with this horrible triangle. It makes me angry because I loved Kevin McGarry prior to him being on this show, but watching him play Nathan has obliterated my crush.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Finally they show Elizabeth acting like she's physically attracted to Lucas! Up until now she's behaved so primly with him as if holding hands was third base or something. Maybe it was hearing him speak French that did it for her? 😉 

Hope Valley is in Canada, right?
Wouldn’t lots of people speak French?
Why  is it all of the sudden a pantie dropper for Elizabeth to hear Lucas parlay vu francais?

• LOL 4
22 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Sure, Elizabeth doesn't know Nathan but Nathan doesn't know Elizabeth.  I'm actually a little surprised that we've made it 8 episodes without a date or some kind of alone time beyond a minute with Nathan and Elizabeth and not talking about Ally

EXACTLY!  I think if it wasn't for the 'red coat', Elizabeth may never have considered Nathan as it's a reminder of Jack

9 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

There are so many bad, chemistry-free couples on this show, but I think Faith and Carson really do take the cake.

I will second that.  Not to be shallow, but I just don't find the actress attractive.  Something about a hawk nose/thin upper lip combo......yeah, that sounds mean, but I just cant' deal with closeups of her

20 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Also, his "I'm not going to give up" was just creepy and unpleasant and it completely disrespects her feelings.  Red flag!! 

Stalker!

22 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I honestly don't blame the guy for being a little frustrated, he's done nothing wrong and he's been patient for three freaking years. 

I just find it so ludicrous that not one but TWO men are holding out for Elizabeth looking their way and choosing one of them for 3 straight years.  Both guys are young and good looking and you mean to tell me that after THREE YEARS neither one of them just says, "eff it - I'll go over to the next town to find me a ladyfriend" because a young, widowed mother (translation:  BAGGAGE) is such an enormous catch?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

or the glaring absence of WWI (it's a lot easier to explain not talking about WWI in 1915 when it was still early days than in 1918 when it was ending).

Unless they’ve retconned it, we’re at least in 1918 now. I remember seeing the year on a postmark when Lucas received a package and Fiona was curious. Early Fiona/Lucas appearances and it was definitely in full-blown war time.

ETA: This is bugging me enough that I actually scrolled through my own posts to find the reference. In 2019 we were shown the postmark with 1916 as the year. We’ve had a couple of Christmases since, plus Baby Jack, plus Faith in medical school (whatever that meant back then), so it has to be at least 1918.

We should actually be approaching the Spanish flu right about now but that is something I totally understand the show not wanting to explore.

11 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

The minute Elizabeth chooses petulant, disrespectful Nathan over Lucas, which I'm convinced is what they're building toward, I'm peacing out of this show for good.

I’m right there with you! Not because my “team” lost but because Nathan is such a freaking tool! Not only that, but a tool who comes with a kid whose level of annoying outclasses Cody’s (and I loathed Cody).

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, ctlady said:
On 4/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, treeofdreams said:

Stalker!

That's one direction the show could  go if she chooses Lucas.  Nathan, the seemingly good guy, refuses to accept defeat and turns into a stalker.  But since this is Hallmark, they probably wouldn't go there.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Hope Valley is in Canada, right?
Wouldn’t lots of people speak French?
Why  is it all of the sudden a pantie dropper for Elizabeth to hear Lucas parlay vu francais?

I’m not so sure Western Canada was populated by French Canadians.  Hamilton is in Ontario Provence and it’s not very populated by French speakers.  It’s on the far western edge of Lake Ontario, near Niagara Falls.  Now, if they were from Quebec, that’s definitely French territory. 

I still don’t understand why Hallmark has such an affection for the actress who plays Allie.  I think she’s awful, she overacts way too much, and her idea of acting is talking at the top of her voice. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 4

Re: anachronisms - Everyone in town frequently says ok, which was not really part of lexicon til the 40s.

Also, I recall Abigail often mentioning spaghetti for Cody's dinners (Elizabeth made it too, I think). It's not too feasible that the townspeople would have had any familiarity whatsoever with Italian food; and even if they did for some reason, are we to believe Elizabeth/Abigail stood around making their own noodles and sauce? Because it's not exactly like today, where you can just pop into a store after work and buy the makings for a quick dinner...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Finally they show Elizabeth acting like she's physically attracted to Lucas! Up until now she's behaved so primly with him as if holding hands was third base or something. Maybe it was hearing him speak French that did it for her? 😉 As much as I love courtly, sensitive Lucas, I do still mourn the potential I saw in the character when he first appeared on the show. He seemed roguish then and I thought it would be fun if Elizabeth fell for a "bad boy" after her relationship with do-gooder Jack for all those years. But nope, they had to sanitize Lucas so that he'd be worthy of Princess Elizabeth. SIGH I regret he didn't just lose interest in Elizabeth because she's so much darn work (and has zero sex appeal) and strike up something flirty with Fiona instead.

Speaking of whom, where did Kayla Wallace go? Fiona is one of the few characters left on this show that I actually enjoy, but they sideline her with the dumb opening a barber shop storyline then she leaves town for what seems like months.

I can't even with Henry's son. That kid is a bad seed. I still don't understand why he flipped out and blamed Lucas for Henry's health issues. WTH does Lucas have to do with that? He offered Henry a good job; Henry took it, end of story. Henry's a grown man. If he was not physically well enough to work, he owed it to his employer to say something. Or maybe his doctor could have advised him against doing stressful work. Honestly, I wish they'd stop giving the characters on this show serious health problems since they never tell us exactly what they are. Carson and Faith don't seem to have a clue what they're doing and God forbid they actually give anyone a diagnosis. We still don't know what the heck was wrong with Ned. They did exploratory surgery and found what? Why did the first surgery just make things worse, but the second surgery miraculously cured him?

There are so many bad, chemistry-free couples on this show, but I think Faith and Carson really do take the cake. I honestly don't understand their relationship. It seems much too "modern." At their ages why would they be in a serious relationship for years without ever discussing future plans/goals and marriage? And why do they keep changing their minds about whether they want to ply their medical trade in the big city or stay in Hope Valley? First it was Faith wanting to go to medical school in the city while Carson stayed behind and pined for her. Couldn't he have just followed her there and pursued his surgeon dreams while she worked toward her degree? Now she wants to stay in HV while he wants to go to the city. Figure your sh*t out, people!

The minute Elizabeth chooses petulant, disrespectful Nathan over Lucas, which I'm convinced is what they're building toward, I'm peacing out of this show for good. I just can't support that decision as a viewer, and it will aggravate me too much to keep watching. I rue the day the writers ever came up with this horrible triangle. It makes me angry because I loved Kevin McGarry prior to him being on this show, but watching him play Nathan has obliterated my crush.

@BrainyBlonde we must share the same brain (even though I'm not blonde) because I found myself ITA-ing along to your post. But the bolded parts made me ITA *and* head nod.   So much truth in your post!  

• Love 2

I don’t know anything about behind-the-scenes goings on, so this is pure speculation. I wonder if Fiona’s absence is because she’s a much more likable and interesting character than wishy-washy Elizabeth, who’s supposed to be the center of attention.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Also, I recall Abigail often mentioning spaghetti for Cody's dinners (Elizabeth made it too, I think). It's not too feasible that the townspeople would have had any familiarity whatsoever with Italian food; and even if they did for some reason, are we to believe Elizabeth/Abigail stood around making their own noodles and sauce? Because it's not exactly like today, where you can just pop into a store after work and buy the makings for a quick dinner...

I never noticed that but I gave up a long time ago (basically after season one) trying to keep up with the anachronisms.  I can't wait for the first time we see someone eating pizza.

51 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I wonder if, with all the modern anachronisms in the show, perhaps Hallmark is trying to make the series more accessible to people - especially younger people.

I think they've basically admitted this as far as the wardrobe is concerned.  Again, Season One wasn't terrible, though it seemed more 1860s than 1910s but, whatever.  I'll never forget though in Season Two when we see Elizabeth with her sisters and they're all wearing modern day evening gowns.  That was the point where it was clear they were going full "Reign."  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's Mary Queen of Scots wearing Anthropologie.)  And of course, the ubiquitous beach waves, which aren't even really in style anymore.  It's all about the curtain bangs now Hallmark.

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

I'll never forget though in Season Two when we see Elizabeth with her sisters and they're all wearing modern day evening gowns.  That was the point where it was clear they were going full "Reign."  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's Mary Queen of Scots wearing Anthropologie.)

At least on Reign they weren't pretending that was realistic - that series was full on alternate history, so the anachronistic costuming was appropriate (and I loved it!).

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I don’t know anything about behind-the-scenes goings on, so this is pure speculation. I wonder if Fiona’s absence is because she’s a much more likable and interesting character than wishy-washy Elizabeth, who’s supposed to be the center of attention.

Fiona was apparently off shooting another project during her absence.  Just like Faith went of to "medical school" so the actress could have a baby and also film her other show, Supergirl last season.

Nathan is coming off as stalkery.  Telling Elizabeth's boyfriend that he's still interested?  Really? She and Lucas have been dating for months at this point, it's creepy for Nathan to say that to Lucas.  I kind of hope Lucas tells her about Nathan.  I just don't know how she recovers from "your job is too dangerous" and "he caused her husband's death sort of" to choose Nathan.

What I found a little disappointing is that she and Lucas are actually spending quality time together (and generating a little heat) but the specter of Nathan and Jack are constantly around.  Nathan hasn't given up?  Is this him trying?  Sulking in corners?  Telling her she doesn't know him, but not showing her who he is?  I guess it's supposed to be romantic he claims to be in love with her after keeping a giant secret for 3 years and never having been on a date with her?

As for the lack of kids on the show, including Jack...it's all about Covid.  I also think it's giving them a chance to highlight the new family in town... 2 kids in a bubble there, Ally's been off on her own or just with Nathan or Liz.  It's been convenient for school to be on a break and then to have the graduation and then be out again.

Carson and Faith had great chemistry, until they let them kiss.  It's been downhill ever since.  At this point Faith doesn't even seem to like Carson as a friend.  It's so strange.  Break them up, and maybe have them work different shifts? Carson is right, the town could use a better medical facility.

Another pairing I'm not buying is Molly and Bill.  They have no chemistry no matter how much the actress is trying.  He's not trying at all.

I'm guessing Lee and Rosemary's niece will now runaway back to Hope Valley?  Having the pocketwatch returned gave her hope.

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

Carson and Faith had great chemistry, until they let them kiss.  It's been downhill ever since.  At this point Faith doesn't even seem to like Carson as a friend.  It's so strange.  Break them up, and maybe have them work different shifts?

I've posted here before:  be careful what you wish for.  I 'shipped these two before their characters actually hooked up. Now I wish I could take it back!   😁😬

• LOL 7