Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

When Calls The Heart

Recommended Posts

I think there might definitely be something to the idea that Nathan was originally intended for the assignment that got Jack killed.  It would explain a lot about his behavior towards Elizabeth and why he's been such a jerk.  Guilt.

It still doesn't explain why she would love him though.  Not when there's this other guy who has been treating her wonderfully the whole time.  I was thinking though that the relationship with Lucas reminds me a little bit of Jo and Laurie from Little Women, where they make great friends but they're not necessarily soul mates.  As someone who was happy to marry her best friend I personally don't get it, but, there is precedent for that kind of story I guess.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

31 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

I think there might definitely be something to the idea that Nathan was originally intended for the assignment that got Jack killed.  It would explain a lot about his behavior towards Elizabeth and why he's been such a jerk.  Guilt.

It still doesn't explain why she would love him though.  Not when there's this other guy who has been treating her wonderfully the whole time.  I was thinking though that the relationship with Lucas reminds me a little bit of Jo and Laurie from Little Women, where they make great friends but they're not necessarily soul mates.  As someone who was happy to marry her best friend I personally don't get it, but, there is precedent for that kind of story I guess.

Three years in I think it's beyond the pale that Nathan would've never mentioned to Elizabeth that he had known or had some kind of interaction with Jack.  Even wracked with guilt (potentially) why would have never told her up until this point?  He hasn't always "loved" her, there were many times he could've said something but chose not to.  So I'm really hoping that he didn't know or meet or try to rescue Jack.  If she were to fall for him just by association of Jack that would be ridiculous.  Although, it seems she's fallen for him because he's a Mountie, they've had no dates or other romantic interactions.

I think you're spot on about the Laurie and Jo parallell with Lucas and Elizabeth.  They do seem to be great friends but that appears to be not enough.  I've always hated Little Women for not having Laurie and Jo together when it was so obvious they should be.

The way Nathan has treated Elizabeth through the seasons is the most troubling.  I think it just reinforces stereotypes that if a guy treats you poorly he must like you.  No, he's just treating you poorly.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I can NOT believe they’re still dragging out this stupid triangle business! What is so freaking special about Elizabeth that two men would be soooo in love with her, especially given that she already has a child? Guys are not usually lining up to date a single mom. She’s so wishy-washy, sickeningly sweet, and has a gummy smile. I don’t much care for Nathan and absolutely loathe Allie so I kind of wish Elizabeth would marry him and then he gets transferred far, far away, and all three of them leave Hope Valley forever.

I did think it was interesting that the show made a point of showing Jack’s picture to little Jack. It would seem like foreshadowing that he isn’t really dead and will turn up miraculously alive the minute Elizabeth makes up her mind between Nathan and Lucas (you KNOW this is the kind of melodrama this show would go for), except for there being roughly zero chance of Dan Lissing wanting to return.

Fiona, OTOH, is a much more interesting character and more attractive than Elizabeth (IMO - if I had to choose which of them I’d rather look like, it would be Fiona). So why are the two most eligible men in town (or perhaps the only two) fighting over Elizabeth and completely oblivious to Fiona?

Jesse and the motorcycle: this guy is such a dumbass and so annoying I wish Clara would brain him with a cast iron frying pan. Dude, your wife made her feelings clear about the motorcycle. And you’re too dumb to make sure it has enough gas before going off joyriding?! I thought for sure he was going to end up in a major accident, not just run out of gas and have to walk the bike back to town.

Edited by CarpeFelis · Reason: typo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I did think it was interesting that the show made a point of showing Jack’s picture to little Jack. It would seem like foreshadowing that he isn’t really dead and will turn up miraculously alive

I always hoped that a phone call would come telling Elizabeth that Jack is still alive and she needs to leave to reunite with him, she gets a Hope Valley send-off and as she leaves, end credits role. That is the only way to redeem what this show has turned Elizabeth into and get back the warm-hearted feelings this show once had. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I take it there is more to the story with Nathan and Jack. And somehow that will be the catalyst for Elizabeth ultimately choosing Nathan.  Poor Lucas. 

I like the Canfields. The little boy is adorable. 

I know that Lee’s sister is supposed to bland. But Hallmark goes out of their way to find the most painfully bland actors to play painfully bland characters.

Why does Paul Greene not get more airtime? He has said about 5 lines all season.  And why is he saddled with Faith?  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, WhyAmIHere said:

I take it there is more to the story with Nathan and Jack. And somehow that will be the catalyst for Elizabeth ultimately choosing Nathan.  Poor Lucas. 

I like the Canfields. The little boy is adorable. 

I know that Lee’s sister is supposed to bland. But Hallmark goes out of their way to find the most painfully bland actors to play painfully bland characters.

Why does Paul Greene not get more airtime? He has said about 5 lines all season.  And why is he saddled with Faith?  

 

@WhyAmIHere I agree with you that there’s got to be more to the story of Nathan/Jack, because of the weird interaction between N&E in her asking if Nathan knew Jack, and Nathan’s short response.

Did anyone else get the feeling the Canfield’s daughter’s blindness and society’s reaction was a stand-in for race? In other words, when Mrs. Canfield was telling Elizabeth about how people were mean to the daughter (and Mrs. Canfield said she too has known cruelty), WCTH didn’t have the guts to say it was due to the color of their skin, so instead substituted the daughter’s blindness. Anyway, that’s how I viewed that scene. 

Now, about the preview for next week: Elizabeth already told Lucas that she told Nathan she didn’t want to be with Nathan. The preview showed Lucas & Elizabeth having dinner, then ends with Nathan at her door presumably because of some note she sent Nathan!!!  WTF!?!? Hey lady, stop sending mixed messages! Neither guy deserves you messing around with them like that. Man oh man I hope I’m wrong about the Nathan part of the preview. You wanna be with the guy who has a safe occupation? Then go for it, and stop effing around with the guy to whom you already told you didn’t want. That Lizzy is a piece of work wanting two guys on the end of her fishing pole! Let the other fish go! 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone else feel like things just get cut short?  From the previews I thought that the fire was going to be more of a big deal in plot development, but it was about 10 minutes. One person was injured and that was that. Lucas's mother, Helen, was editing Elizabeth's book but then she left to take care of her marriage.  Lee's sister was  was over-protective  with her daughter.  She didn't approve of Rosemary's behavior with her daughter. She expected her daughter to take over the family business.  But then she left her daughter with Lee and Rosemary because Bellingham was no place to raise a child (teenager?). Nathan's superior was ready to make a recommendation against Nathan and then Allie makes an impassioned plea and he changes his mind.  Or was it becauses Elizabeth (Jack's widow) was standing there?  I'm not sure if I"m communicating this well, but I feel like things are just getting thrown into a plot and then resolved without real development.  Of course we don't really know about Nathan and Jack and if there was a story there.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Given the disconnect between Hope Valley and reality anyway, perhaps Nathan really IS Jack.

And he had to fake his demise and change his appearance/identity for super-duper top secret Mountie REASONS.

And the cutting edge doctor Carson went to assist performed the surgery.

And Faith helped. And then cutting edge doctor gave her drugs so she wouldn't remember - and which sucked every ounce of personality from her.

And Allie doesn't matter. Don't ask about her.

And Nathan/Jack was going to spill the beans to Elizabeth, but thinks better of it when he recognizes how sanctimonious and waffling she is.

But still proclaims his loves for her ... for REASONS.

Edited by MollyMelrose
  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

WCTH didn’t have the guts to say it was due to the color of their skin, so instead substituted the daughter’s blindness.

Yes, well that is to be expected of Hallmark, they white-wash everything including skin color. And to equate skin color which has nothing to do with physical ability, to blindness which is a physical handicap, is very disingenuous. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

Does anyone else feel like things just get cut short? 

Oh all the time.  They've done this from the beginning.  Jack and Elizabeth hated each other...for one episode.  Jack had a brother, for one episode.  Elizabeth had a fun, funky, troublemaking sister, again, for one episode.  There were interesting supporting characters like Cat Montgomery (the whale oil lady), the ginger kid and the drunk, the boy genius inventor, and now the telephone operator that have 30 seconds in the sun and then they disappear.  Taking care of pets, building houses, being sick (wasn't Jack really really sick after a flood at one point?  But he got over it in like, ten minutes?  Am I making that up?), being pregnant, recovering from a fire -- Hallmark, dude, you could like, build an entire *season* out of any of these things, but instead they resolve way too quickly and you sacrifice actual interesting drama for really annoying love triangles.

34 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Given the disconnect between Hope Valley and reality anyway, perhaps Nathan really IS Jack.

And he had to fake his demise and change his appearance/identity for super-duper top secret Mountie REASONS.

And the cutting edge doctor Carson went to assist performed the surgery.

And Hope helped. And then cutting edge doctor gave her drugs so she wouldn't remember - and which sucked every ounce of personality from her.

And Allie doesn't matter. Don't ask about her.

And Nathan/Jack was going to spill the beans to Elizabeth, but thinks better of it when he recognizes how sanctimonious and waffling she is.

But still proclaims his loves for her ... for REASONS.

Face Off, Hope Valley edition!  Cool!

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

Jack had a brother, for one episode.  Elizabeth had a fun, funky, troublemaking sister, again, for one episode.  There were interesting supporting characters like Cat Montgomery (the whale oil lady), the ginger kid and the drunk, the boy genius inventor, and now the telephone operator that have 30 seconds in the sun and then they disappear. 

No way no how will the show reintroduce Jack's brother since Jack is not on the show...but it's so ridiculous that neither the brother nor Jack's MOTHER (hello!?) are mentioned. Don't they give a hoot about their last tie to Jack via his son?!

Elizabeth's sister was such a breath of fresh air so I wish she would return. 

Telephone operator?  If you're talking about Fiona, she's still on the show, but criminally underused. And in this last episode, I was LAUGHING when Fiona asked Clara to take over so Fiona could go visit family. What the heck does Clara know about being a barber?!  Well, actually, what does Fiona know about it too, but hey - if it keeps Fiona on the show, I'm willing to overlook how Fiona seems to have developed barbershop skills out of nowhere.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Telephone operator?  If you're talking about Fiona, she's still on the show, but criminally underused. And in this last episode, I was LAUGHING when Fiona asked Clara to take over so Fiona could go visit family. What the heck does Clara know about being a barber?!  Well, actually, what does Fiona know about it too, but hey - if it keeps Fiona on the show, I'm willing to overlook how Fiona seems to have developed barbershop skills out of nowhere.

Yeah I meant Fiona...she's a telephone operator right?  Or was at one point?  And is now apparently a barber?  I haven't seen the last two episodes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/14/2021 at 1:15 AM, CarpeFelis said:

I did think it was interesting that the show made a point of showing Jack’s picture to little Jack. It would seem like foreshadowing that he isn’t really dead and will turn up miraculously alive the minute Elizabeth makes up her mind between Nathan and Lucas (you KNOW this is the kind of melodrama this show would go for), except for there being roughly zero chance of Dan Lissing wanting to return.

FWIW, DL's character on The Rookie - which was just a small role, appearing in three or so episodes - has officially broken up with the character he was dating. So presumably that gig is over.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Oh all the time.  They've done this from the beginning.  Jack and Elizabeth hated each other...for one episode.  Jack had a brother, for one episode.  Elizabeth had a fun, funky, troublemaking sister, again, for one episode.  There were interesting supporting characters like Cat Montgomery (the whale oil lady), the ginger kid and the drunk, the boy genius inventor, and now the telephone operator that have 30 seconds in the sun and then they disappear.  Taking care of pets, building houses, being sick (wasn't Jack really really sick after a flood at one point?  But he got over it in like, ten minutes?  Am I making that up?), being pregnant, recovering from a fire -- Hallmark, dude, you could like, build an entire *season* out of any of these things, but instead they resolve way too quickly and you sacrifice actual interesting drama for really annoying love triangles.

Face Off, Hope Valley edition!  Cool!

Yes, Jack had pneumonia. At the end of the episode Elizabeth's voiceover said that his mom stayed for a few weeks til he got better, so presumably they want us to think Jack took a standard length of time to get better but kindly decided not to subject viewers to endless episodes of Bedridden Jack.

Personally, I always thought they shortchanged Pastor Frank's story. We know he used to be a bank robber, and that he did a 180 and became religious. But we don't know WHY, neither how he initially got into a life of crime or what specifically changed his heart. This stuff could definitely have given material for some interesting conversations between characters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Yeah I meant Fiona...she's a telephone operator right?  Or was at one point?  And is now apparently a barber?  I haven't seen the last two episodes.

Correct - when Fiona first came on the show, she was the telephone operator, but she handed off that gig to Florence and Fiona now runs a barber shop!  🙄  🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2021 at 12:15 AM, CarpeFelis said:

I can NOT believe they’re still dragging out this stupid triangle business! What is so freaking special about Elizabeth that two men would be soooo in love with her, especially given that she already has a child? Guys are not usually lining up to date a single mom.

Genealogy is my hobby and occasionally my profession and I can tell you lots and lots and lots and lots of widows and even divorces remarried.  I would say although not at all unprecidented a woman with a child that young not remarrying would be the exception rather than the rule. 

I mean I totally think Lucas could do better and if I were him I'd be working that angle but there is no way Elizabeth would be on the shelf in this town at this time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am still wanting a third suitable person to ride into town and sweep Elizabeth off her feet and out of town. the end. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I have watched THREE episodes of this show.  I heard of the romance triangle and I thought I would watch, pick one, and see how I did.  This is a hard show to watch.  Erin K is one of those Hallmark actresses who confuses smiling and laughing with actual acting.  The second worst - Pascale Hutton.  Anyway, as for calling it --

1. Nathan and Lucas.

2. Lucas's mom (who I found way more interesting than Lucas ) and Nathan

3. Lucas and Fiona (is that the barbershop one?  I like her)

4. Elizabeth and Nathan.  (I find Lucas smarmy).

Prediction:  Last ep, Elizabeth told Lucas that she had broken it off with Nathan.  Surely this is a TV trope.  When girl tells guy 1 that she no longer wants guy 2, she ends up with guy 2.

Edited by lakin1013

Share this post


Link to post

Just watched last week’s episode.  If the mother has taught the blind daughter, wouldn’t that mean she’s a concert pianist as well?

The whole trial was dumb.  I think it’s clear at this point that Jack and Nathan may not have met but Jack died because of Nathan.  Perhaps Nathan was suspended so Jack had to take his place and died? I’m guessing Nathan knows that, which makes him even more unlikeable. I get that he and Elizabeth are end game because the teacher has to be with the Mountie and he comes with a built in babysitter, but there doesn’t have to be a connection to her dead husband.

Lucas isn’t dumb, he can see what’s happening between Liz and Nathan. I suspect he and Liz will date (again) for 5 minutes and he’ll tell her what he sees.

Why are they trying to make Molly and Bill happen? What a bizarre pairing.  This show used to be about more than just couples.

I guess they’ve chosen an age appropriate kid for Rosemary and Lee? Weird.

Following Paul Greene on Instagram, I can’t believe he lived away from his family for 5 months to have 1 minute (with mostly Faith talking) per episode.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think it is clear that Elizabeth is going to chose Nathan even after we find out that if Nathan hadn't been suspended he'd have been where Jack was when Jack was killed (which is no big... but the whole not telling her thing...) but like she laughs when she's with Lucas.  She has fun with him.  He has, you know, actually asked her out and had a good time with her.  Plus the whole HE BUILT HER A LIBRARY thing.   

What I really, really, really don't get though is that they have that completely forgettable guy crushing on Fiona... I mean?  Huh?  Fiona's great.   

They are never going to make me care about Clara and Jesse's marriage.

Is the new girl for Robert?  Because I also don't really want to see Robert dating.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bybrandy said:

What I really, really, really don't get though is that they have that completely forgettable guy crushing on Fiona... I mean?  Huh?  Fiona's great.   
 

The forgettable guy is Elizabeth/Erin’s real life boyfriend.  Pretty sure at this point that’s why he has a role on the show. He was a forgettable character in her latest Hallmark movie too.  I agree it’s silly to saddle Fiona with him.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Something I'm finding bizarre about the show is that Elizabeth is continuing to date Lucas (yay!), but the showrunners will put her with Nathan in the end (because teacher only ends up with Mountie). But will Elizabeth really choose Nathan based solely on his love declaration and his dedication to Ally?  They've never been on a date, or even really alone.  She's regularly dated Lucas and he's actually been supportive.  This triangle makes no sense because one point of it declared love, but didn't even try to date first. Ugh.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

A one and a two ...

Let's all sing ...

🎶 🎶 When Mrs. Thornton smiles 🎶 🎶

 

The Treacle National Anthem 🤣

 

Edited by MollyMelrose
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

A one and a two ...

Let's all sing ...

🎶 🎶 When Mrs. Thornton smiles 🎶 🎶

 

The Treacle National Anthem 🤣

 

I cringed so hard during that scene. I was embarrassed for the characters as well as for the actors.

Are we supposed to know the Sinister School Guy? Did I miss him in an earlier episode during one of my fast-forwarding bouts?

At this point I hope Carson takes the job. His scenes with Faith aren’t even cringe-worthy: they’re just...blah.

I’m still very firmly Team Lucas because of how he treats Elizabeth, and if the show has to put her with anyone it should be him. He cares about her interests, supports her dreams, and his family baggage appears to be only his mother, who doesn’t seem too bad. Lucas bought her a library.

Nathan? Sulky, over-protective, randomly declared his so-called love in spite of never actually spending time with her when he isn’t scolding her for something or she isn’t lecturing him about Allie. Oh - and his family baggage is Allie.

But hey, Hallmark - let’s continue to perpetuate the BS that conflict really equals love.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Not that I care about them individually or as a couple, but wow - I'm pleasantly surprised a Hallmark show is presenting some actual conflict in a new marriage (Clara and Jesse).

First, it was the motorbike when Jesse bought it from Lee without even telling Clara before he bought it, and now, Jesse secretly taking all their savings to put into some investment (and presumably, losing all their savings). Kudos to Hallmark for not presenting newlyweds where everything is sunshine and roses.

More conflict:  Elizabeth's school is independent, and not part of a school district. I'm sure show will keep her independent somehow.

So...Robert is the only kid graduating?  

I don't know if the actor/actress who portray Carson and Faith are leaving WCTH, but I don't see how this couple can reconcile their different desires without splitting up. Carson wants to be a surgeon in St. Louis?  Chicago?  while Faith likes the life of a small town doctor. 

Anyone know how the ratings are for this season?  Any chance Hallmark will cancel the show?

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

So...Robert is the only kid graduating?  

I just started laughing at this because this has somehow never occurred to me with this show.  What has it been, 8 years?  And no one has ever graduated?  And we never see kids who look like teenagers, they're only between like 8 and 12.  And the fashions should be getting 1920s-ish at this point but are still vaguely-and-completely-inaccurately-Edwardian.

Maybe this world really is like Brigadoon or The Others, where everyone is actually dead and thus not only is there no war (WWI), but no one ever ages or grows up.  

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Not that I care about them individually or as a couple, but wow - I'm pleasantly surprised a Hallmark show is presenting some actual conflict in a new marriage (Clara and Jesse).

First, it was the motorbike when Jesse bought it from Lee without even telling Clara before he bought it, and now, Jesse secretly taking all their savings to put into some investment (and presumably, losing all their savings). Kudos to Hallmark for not presenting newlyweds where everything is sunshine and roses.

More conflict:  Elizabeth's school is independent, and not part of a school district. I'm sure show will keep her independent somehow.

So...Robert is the only kid graduating?  

I don't know if the actor/actress who portray Carson and Faith are leaving WCTH, but I don't see how this couple can reconcile their different desires without splitting up. Carson wants to be a surgeon in St. Louis?  Chicago?  while Faith likes the life of a small town doctor. 

Anyone know how the ratings are for this season?  Any chance Hallmark will cancel the show?

 

The first year of marriage can be the hardest, but Clara and Jesse seem to only fight.  Clara has been married before, maybe she could've avoided some conflict?  Jesse just seems really immature, he also doesn't seem to work at all.  He's always on the seen, but sitting at the desk, etc.

The actress that plays Faith I think has steady gigs on other shows, but since WCTH seems to be all about the women I guess I could see Carson leaving.  They need some men in the town though.  It's odd that Carson and Faith had chemistry until they got them together...

As for Robert graduating, I'm guessing Cody would've graduated as well if Abigail hadn't left.  Kids also went to school at that time only till about 12 years old because they had to go to work.  Didn't Laura graduate or homeschool with Elizabeth in order to finish her studies? Typically graduates would have been much younger than they are now.

I doubt they will cancel the show, they are out of storylines and When Hope Calls basically bombed but WCTH has a pretty big fan base.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

If I were writing this show, Nathan's secret would be that he and Jack were friends and made a pact: if Nathan died, Jack would take care of Ally and if Jack died, Nathan would watch over Elizabeth and baby Jack. Oh and triangles would be banned!

Also, every eligible bachelor in town would be fighting over Fiona, for goodness sakes! Why can't the producers see what a jewel of a character she is (and then I remembered who the producers were...)?

And Elizabeth has a fun sister? Is she single?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I doubt they will cancel the show, they are out of storylines and When Hope Calls basically bombed but WCTH has a pretty big fan base.

Oh right - the WCTH spinoff!  I forgot about that show. 

42 minutes ago, chocolatetruffle said:

Also, every eligible bachelor in town would be fighting over Fiona, for goodness sakes! Why can't the producers see what a jewel of a character she is (and then I remembered who the producers were...)?

And Elizabeth has a fun sister? Is she single?

Yes and Yes!  Every bachelor should be fighting over Fiona because she's the best female character on the show (smart, ambitious, fun, spunky).  My wish is there is a new (semi) regular character who joins the show and is paired with Fiona. But it can't just be anyone. He'd have to be worthy of her affections.  What role could he play?  Newspaper guy (editor? journalist? publisher?)?  Smithy (jack-of-all kinds of smith)?  Bank person?  Someone connected with the railroad?  What would be realistic for Hope Valley in this time period?

And Elizabeth does have a younger sister who had some of Fiona's personality (fun and spunky, but also spoiled and naive). Too bad she wasn't a regular character because she would have added livelihood to the show that's so earnest and at times, dull.

In my previous post, I forgot to write about THE ONE thing that ABSOLUTELY FLOORED me - gasp! They mentioned Abigail!!!  Wow - I thought for sure her name was never to darken Hope Valley ever again. OK, so it's still plausible and practical to have Abigail absent from the cafe since Bill is co-owner and runs the cafe, but Show thinks we forgot that Abigail is the freaking MAYOR?!  So, so, so dumb they never addressed Hope Valley being without their mayor.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

In my previous post, I forgot to write about THE ONE thing that ABSOLUTELY FLOORED me - gasp! They mentioned Abigail!!!  Wow - I thought for sure her name was never to darken Hope Valley ever again. OK, so it's still plausible and practical to have Abigail absent from the cafe since Bill is co-owner and runs the cafe, but Show thinks we forgot that Abigail is the freaking MAYOR?!  So, so, so dumb they never addressed Hope Valley being without their mayor.

I've seen people speculate elsewhere (i.e., Reddit) that Abigail might return.  Mentioning her name might be building the foundation for her to come back.  Lori has done her jail time so Varsity Blues is basically behind her -- though if you watch the Netflix doc about it, there's quite a bit of very damning stuff about her in there.  But, Felicity Huffman is acting again.  And considering that a lot of the hausfraus are conservative Christians if she plays her cards right and goes on a redemption arc, I could see the fan base welcoming her back.

Here's hoping she leaves Cody behind though.  That child actor has probably grown out of his role anyway, considering it's been three years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I've seen people speculate elsewhere (i.e., Reddit) that Abigail might return.  Mentioning her name might be building the foundation for her to come back.  Lori has done her jail time so Varsity Blues is basically behind her -- though if you watch the Netflix doc about it, there's quite a bit of very damning stuff about her in there.  But, Felicity Huffman is acting again.  And considering that a lot of the hausfraus are conservative Christians if she plays her cards right and goes on a redemption arc, I could see the fan base welcoming her back.

Here's hoping she leaves Cody behind though.  That child actor has probably grown out of his role anyway, considering it's been three years.

Unfortunately, I can't see Abigail returning to Hope Valley.  These episodes were filmed while Lori was serving her time, maybe that's why the shoutout--they were thinking of her?  Hallmark is too squeaky clean to bring her back.  Elizabeth does seem lonely with out her.   The Conservatives were in outraged at Elizabeth's date dress this week (had children avert their eyes, seriously), I don't know that they'd welcome Lori back.

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't watched this show since Jack was killed off (or maybe I watched a few episodes after to see if I could still be interested and I wasn't). But I've seen the commercial for the next episode while watching the movies. I think I've figured out the names, and my guess is Elizabeth will pick the mountie, Nathan, after all. In the quick shot of the scene where Lucas goes to kiss her, it looks like she's about to pull back. Not a good sign. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like its a foregone conclusion that Elizabeth will pick Nathan.  I don't say that because I've been spoiled or because of the teacher and the mountie thing.  I feel like its a foregone conclusion because she is seemingly with Lucas right now, mid-season, and it's very typical with shows that do triangles that whoever the person is with at midseason is not the person they pick.  I feel like they always pick the other person.  I am not happy about it, at all.  I don't particularly like the Nathan character and I don't see some big love story with them.  I don't know why the writers haven't really even tried to do some kind of romantic story for them.  It's embarrassing and sad.  Lucas has tried and put in the effort and its disappointing that he'll most likely be left in the lurch.  I could totally ship him with Fiona because that woman is fire!  I can't see them doing that though.  I do wonder what they'll do with the losing suitor.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder about the Lucas character and The Fiona character. I love Fiona. But I don’t think a man like Lucas might want such a string woman. Plus it would be interesting how they would  write her relationship with his mother.  The Lee Character is mostly laid back but Rosemary is way out there. I think there could be chemistry between Lucas and Fiona.  And the writers do take a lot of liberties with the times. They could write all the head butting over the relationship into the script.  Or am I overthinking. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to see Nathan and Fiona together. I think they could balance each other out and the relationship between Fiona and Allie would be interesting to watch. I could see conflict if Nathan feels like Fiona is too modern for Allie in some ways. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Peper81 said:

I feel like its a foregone conclusion that Elizabeth will pick Nathan.  I don't say that because I've been spoiled or because of the teacher and the mountie thing.  I feel like its a foregone conclusion because she is seemingly with Lucas right now, mid-season, and it's very typical with shows that do triangles that whoever the person is with at midseason is not the person they pick.  I feel like they always pick the other person.  I am not happy about it, at all.  I don't particularly like the Nathan character and I don't see some big love story with them.  I don't know why the writers haven't really even tried to do some kind of romantic story for them.  It's embarrassing and sad.  Lucas has tried and put in the effort and its disappointing that he'll most likely be left in the lurch.  I could totally ship him with Fiona because that woman is fire!  I can't see them doing that though.  I do wonder what they'll do with the losing suitor.  

 

8 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I wonder about the Lucas character and The Fiona character. I love Fiona. But I don’t think a man like Lucas might want such a string woman. Plus it would be interesting how they would  write her relationship with his mother.  The Lee Character is mostly laid back but Rosemary is way out there. I think there could be chemistry between Lucas and Fiona.  And the writers do take a lot of liberties with the times. They could write all the head butting over the relationship into the script.  Or am I overthinking. 

 

5 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I would like to see Nathan and Fiona together. I think they could balance each other out and the relationship between Fiona and Allie would be interesting to watch. I could see conflict if Nathan feels like Fiona is too modern for Allie in some ways. 

I feel the "opposites attract" thing works for Lee and Rosemary, maybe because of the two actors or the writing for them as a couple. I did think of Nathan with Fiona, but I don't know...this possible opposites attract couple doesn't seem like a good fit. I feel like she's maybe too "modern" and independent for someone like Nathan.  Personality-wise, she seems to fit Lucas better. 

ETA:  I forgot to add spirited to the list of Fiona's excellent qualities.

 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Now, I have seen 8 episodes and I have no intention of viewing any more though I will 'watch' the remaining eps to see who 'wins' the love triangle.  And by watch, I mean FF though just to watch triangle members interact.  I have searched out several discussion forums and it seems like the majority of folks want Lucas to be the one. 

I guess my real issue is how Elizabeth has been written and acted through this season.  This is a woman who has been married and has had sex and intimacy regularly, and a woman who has conceived a child and given birth.  She is no virgin. Yet, in this triangle, she acts like a school girl with no awareness of what she desires or if she is treating these two guys fairly.  I was dumbstruck when she tells Nathan that she is not interested, yet fumes that he does not show up later for a school conference.  Surely it could be understood if the guy does not want to sit with her so recently after being told he is not the one.  Why tell Lucas that Nathan is out of the picture?  Is he, is she sure, and how cruel would that be if she changes her mind. Her empathy for either of the two men seems completely missing, yet she seemed to just love the graduation song all about her.  She comes across as shallow, self-interested, and not very kind.  Am I misreading this character ?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2021 at 10:20 PM, lakin1013 said:

Now, I have seen 8 episodes and I have no intention of viewing any more though I will 'watch' the remaining eps to see who 'wins' the love triangle.  And by watch, I mean FF though just to watch triangle members interact.  I have searched out several discussion forums and it seems like the majority of folks want Lucas to be the one. 

I guess my real issue is how Elizabeth has been written and acted through this season.  This is a woman who has been married and has had sex and intimacy regularly, and a woman who has conceived a child and given birth.  She is no virgin. Yet, in this triangle, she acts like a school girl with no awareness of what she desires or if she is treating these two guys fairly.  I was dumbstruck when she tells Nathan that she is not interested, yet fumes that he does not show up later for a school conference.  Surely it could be understood if the guy does not want to sit with her so recently after being told he is not the one.  Why tell Lucas that Nathan is out of the picture?  Is he, is she sure, and how cruel would that be if she changes her mind. Her empathy for either of the two men seems completely missing, yet she seemed to just love the graduation song all about her.  She comes across as shallow, self-interested, and not very kind.  Am I misreading this character ?

I wouldn’t say Elizabeth had sex regularly, she and Jack were married for two weeks before he was transferred and she got pregnant in that timeframe.

I do think it’s odd she told Lucas that Nathan was out of the “running.” He can see the way she still looks at Nathan. There are other single men in town, are they out of the “running” too?

I don’t understand how she’s attracted to Nathan even though they’ve never spent measurable time together alone.  He’s  lectured her repeatedly through the years vs listened to her which shows a lack of respect. His abrupt declaration that he’s in love with her truly came out of nowhere as did her suddenly being afraid of his job.  I think the writers went with the declaration as a way to catch him up to the progress Lucas had made with Elizabeth.

Lucas has actually dated Elizabeth, built a library for her, got her a book deal and has known when to be supportive and when to step back (school graduation) it shows she’s a fool if she chooses Nathan, who has literally done nothing but sulk and complain.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I wouldn’t say Elizabeth had sex regularly, she and Jack were married for two weeks before he was transferred and she got pregnant in that timeframe.

 

This is what I get for not watching the history.  Do you mean to say, that in this story, they marry, have married life for 2 weeks, guy goes off and dies, and E becomes pregnant during the two weeks of wedded bliss?   I am sorry but I find that story line ridiculous even to write out.  Seriously that is what happened for real, in this show?

Edited by lakin1013
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Lucas has actually dated Elizabeth, built a library for her, got her a book deal and has known when to be supportive and when to step back (school graduation) it shows she’s a fool if she chooses Nathan, who has literally done nothing but sulk and complain.

Exactly! As of this point in the story, it makes no sense for her to choose Nathan just because "that's where her heart is" as many Team Nathan fans have said. He hasn't done anything to prove himself to her. No true romantic gestures, no common interests or connections other than them both raising kids alone. Wanting to have kids and a family is an important thing, but Lucas has also mentioned wanting to start a family and has shown interest in little Jack multiple times so that's not a good argument against him. Lucas has gone out of his way to make Elizabeth happy - started a library, gotten tickets to her favorite author's reading, even moving their date to her home to make her more comfortable and close to her son. These are things that most modern women would appreciate in a guy and just show how much he cares. Instead Nathan's fans hold those things against Lucas, as if romantic gestures are too good and "fancy" and make Lucas a bad suitor. 

The most "romantic" things Nathan has done is tell Elizabeth that he "cares about her" and blurting out randomly (and quite prematurely) "I'm in love with you!" Any modern women these days would run for the hills just like Elizabeth if a guy told them that before they've even had a date or even spent literally any quality alone time together. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Is its a sign of poor character to have burst out laughing when poor Ned fell down the steps in his beekeeper get-up?

Asking for a friend ...

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Do we really need two seasons of who will she pick? 
 

Also Nathan when a woman turns you down that doesn’t mean ignore her wishes and decide to double down on your attempts to get her. I didn’t like that scene at the end. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, brighteyes said:

Lucas has actually dated Elizabeth, built a library for her, got her a book deal and has known when to be supportive and when to step back (school graduation) it shows she’s a fool if she chooses Nathan, who has literally done nothing but sulk and complain.

And yet you can see that the show is going in the direction of trying to fool the viewers that she already made her choice with Lucas, but may plan to do a switcher-oo at some point.  Either Lucas would have to do something absolutely heinous or have Nathan do something to out-schmoopee Lucas' romantic gestures to win over Elizabeth.  At this point, I really don't care. 

And speaking of not caring - how about just about every other couple except Lee and Rosemary.  ZERO chemistry between Faith/Carson and Clara/Jesse after all this time.  Jesse is an immature dweeb and Carson is too good for Faith.   Honestly there was more of a spark between Rachel and newcomer Christopher (and what a surprise THAT was, though the scene at the oil rig site made me wonder if this is where they were going)

Was I the only one waiting for Lee to discover his pocket watch gone?

Ned's General Store is like THE place to go to see and be seen.  Everybody seems to run into their intended romantic foil (Nathan  & Elizabeth twice - I mean, I know you have to pick up your mail and shop but TWICE at the same time??)

As much as I love (and miss) Fiona, she lost massive common sense points when she put someone who has absolutely NO experience such as clara with cutting/do-ing hair in charge of the shop while she's away.  But I gotta say that I do admire Clara that she's a hard worker - the dress shop, the cafe and now considering helping Fiona - all because her doofus child of a husband lost all their savings

On a shallow note - what's with pulling back one side of the hair on some of the women - Elizabeth especially?  I can see if the style had a noticeable side part and pulling back the side with less hair.  But Elizabeth's middle part down-do with only one side pulled back all the time always looks like she forgot to pin back the other side.  I did think having the entire top part of her hair pulled back into a barrette for the picnic with Lucas to be really pretty and flattering on her.  I also think it made her look younger. 

Can someone please have Allie go and live with another family far, far away?  That kid's goofy demeanor is just annoying beyond my point of patience

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Do we really need two seasons of who will she pick? 

Aren't we already on like, season three of this?  The guys were introduced in Season 6 I think, and now we're at Season 8?  And this will almost certainly carry over into Season 9?  At the rate we're going this love triangle is going to last longer than Jack's entire life on the show.

16 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Is its a sign of poor character to have burst out laughing when poor Ned fell down the steps in his beekeeper get-up?

Asking for a friend ...

I love Ned.  I think he's one of the only original characters left over from Season One that wasn't a lead (assuming it's the same actor).  This show needs more comic relief, it's been so serious and schmaltzy lately.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m at the point where I'm interested in all of the characters except for Elizabeth and Nathan, especially Nathan and Allie. I’d rather see Lee and Rosemary, Fiona and the other secondary characters. I’m looking forward to the background story with Gowen and his son. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

Aren't we already on like, season three of this?  The guys were introduced in Season 6 I think, and now we're at Season 8?  And this will almost certainly carry over into Season 9?  At the rate we're going this love triangle is going to last longer than Jack's entire life on the show.

It’s possible that I missed a year (memory-wise) because it’s dragging so long. Working through marriage issues would be more interesting than a triangle. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

And yet you can see that the show is going in the direction of trying to fool the viewers that she already made her choice with Lucas, but may plan to do a switcher-oo at some point.  Either Lucas would have to do something absolutely heinous or have Nathan do something to out-schmoopee Lucas' romantic gestures to win over Elizabeth.  At this point, I really don't care. 

I am curious to see how (if) the show pulls off the switcheroo. Will it make sense, or have us all rolling our eyes...

And speaking of not caring - how about just about every other couple except Lee and Rosemary.  ZERO chemistry between Faith/Carson and Clara/Jesse after all this time.  Jesse is an immature dweeb and Carson is too good for Faith.   Honestly there was more of a spark between Rachel and newcomer Christopher (and what a surprise THAT was, though the scene at the oil rig site made me wonder if this is where they were going)

Disagree about Rachel and Christopher  (and who couldn't tell from a mile away he'd turn out to be Henry's son, which we never heard about until this episode!!!)

Was I the only one waiting for Lee to discover his pocket watch gone?  The writers themselves seem to have forgotten since they never circled back to this...

Ned's General Store is like THE place to go to see and be seen.  Everybody seems to run into their intended romantic foil (Nathan  & Elizabeth twice - I mean, I know you have to pick up your mail and shop but TWICE at the same time??)

As much as I love (and miss) Fiona, she lost massive common sense points when she put someone who has absolutely NO experience such as clara with cutting/do-ing hair in charge of the shop while she's away.  But I gotta say that I do admire Clara that she's a hard worker - the dress shop, the cafe and now considering helping Fiona - all because her doofus child of a husband lost all their savings

Yeah, I already posted about the idiocy of Fiona asking Clara to take over...and until it was laid out by @ctlady here, I guess it didn't sink in that Clara has three jobs to Jesse's one job.  If I were Clara, I'd never take him back since he lost all their savings - most of which I'm guessing is based on Clara's THREE jobs!

On a shallow note - what's with pulling back one side of the hair on some of the women - Elizabeth especially?  I can see if the style had a noticeable side part and pulling back the side with less hair.  But Elizabeth's middle part down-do with only one side pulled back all the time always looks like she forgot to pin back the other side.  I did think having the entire top part of her hair pulled back into a barrette for the picnic with Lucas to be really pretty and flattering on her.  I also think it made her look younger. 

Re: the italicized part, I disagree. I thought that made her forehead look weird.  I had a hard time concentrating on the scene because of all that forehead space.

Can someone please have Allie go and live with another family far, far away?  That kid's goofy demeanor is just annoying beyond my point of patience

All in all, this episode was truly meh. One thing I found ridiculous was how the husband was able to make a swing set for his wife basically in ONE DAY!  We saw them sitting on the pile of lumber, then seemingly the very next day, the swing set was completed. I don't care if Jesse helped, don't these guys have actual jobs?  Nice if you can just leave work whenever you feel like it to work on a non-emergency project!

How many more episodes until the end of the season (hopefully, end of the SERIES!)?

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, brighteyes said:

Exactly! As of this point in the story, it makes no sense for her to choose Nathan just because "that's where her heart is" as many Team Nathan fans have said. He hasn't done anything to prove himself to her. No true romantic gestures, no common interests or connections other than them both raising kids alone. Wanting to have kids and a family is an important thing, but Lucas has also mentioned wanting to start a family and has shown interest in little Jack multiple times so that's not a good argument against him. Lucas has gone out of his way to make Elizabeth happy - started a library, gotten tickets to her favorite author's reading, even moving their date to her home to make her more comfortable and close to her son. These are things that most modern women would appreciate in a guy and just show how much he cares. Instead Nathan's fans hold those things against Lucas, as if romantic gestures are too good and "fancy" and make Lucas a bad suitor. 

The most "romantic" things Nathan has done is tell Elizabeth that he "cares about her" and blurting out randomly (and quite prematurely) "I'm in love with you!" Any modern women these days would run for the hills just like Elizabeth if a guy told them that before they've even had a date or even spent literally any quality alone time together. 

So much yes to this post!  I do not understand Nathan fans criticizing Lucas for actually planning dates and prioritizing Elizabeth in his life as too fancy and something she wouldn’t want.  Because being lectured by the new Mountie who has no idea how to parent his annoying niece is way better than a library or a catered meal she didn’t have to clean up.

She actually smiles and laughs with Lucas but Nathan comes with a built in babysitter so he’s probably the better choice? I’m sure he’ll spend most of his time sulking at the office when she has to prioritize the kids or work or her passions so it won’t be too bad?

I don’t want to read one more comment from a Nathan fan about Lucas not understanding Elizabeth’s responsibilities as a mother and how mad they are about little Jack not being on their dates.  Why would someone with childcare take their toddler on dates in 1918?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2021 at 1:13 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I would like to see Nathan and Fiona together. I think they could balance each other out and the relationship between Fiona and Allie would be interesting to watch. I could see conflict if Nathan feels like Fiona is too modern for Allie in some ways. 

Nathan and Fiona are a couple in real-life, so I would be very curious to see if they have any on-screen chemistry.  

As for this week's episode, this show has way too many characters and way too many plot lines.   And of course, the one character that they sit out multiple episodes is the most interesting - Fiona.   

 

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, scenicbyway said:

Because being lectured by the new Mountie who has no idea how to parent his annoying niece is way better than a library or a catered meal she didn’t have to clean up.

Believe it or not I actually read a comment from a Nathan fan who criticized Lucas for telling Elizabeth that Gustav would clean up the dinner plates - apparently "real life is messy and involves cleaning dishes" so they should have shown them cleaning up afterwards instead of having a private chef come pick it up later, because that's just not what life is about. Like seriously? I understand they won't always have a chef waiting on them but this is a DATE - it's okay for Lucas to tell her to not worry about cleaning up! Isn't the whole point of courtship to impress/pamper the girl/guy? When Jack set up their first date in the café he had her STUDENTS waiting on them - and it was all very sweet, so that was okay then but when it's an employee that Lucas is paying it's not okay? If they had kept the date in the saloon Gustav would have cleaned up after them, so why not now? The logic behind their complaints about Lucas is completely ridiculous. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size