Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

My opinion: I think the show redeemed Henry because they were thinking of making him and Abigail a couple, but then the whole Lori saga happened...

That makes sense I guess, though the last time I watched, Abigail had sort of broken up with Bill and was flirting with a minister (who doesn't appear to be in the show anymore, or at least not in any of the episodes I've seen.)  Did he disappear as part of the Lori Laughlin purge, or had Abigail moved on from him as well?

As I mentioned, I was back in the thread from when Seasons 6 and 7 originally appeared (2019.)  It is interesting to read the comments today as the general consensus then was that the show was done after both Laughlin and Lissing left.  I enjoyed the episodes of Season 7 much more than any I saw in the first 2 seasons.

30 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Nobody will win acting awards on this show. 

I don't disagree with this statement.  I find the character of Rosemary to be much more tolerable than the first couple seasons where she was a whack-job and I don't care for the actress who plays Elizabeth so maybe that's why the character is uninteresting to me, though regardless of the era, what a hardship to be a young single mother courted by two handsome men after her handsome husband dies.

Edited by bankerchick

I MUCH prefer Elizabeth with Lucas but am more than tired of waiting to see her choice.  The writers should drop the triangle saga and try pairing Carson with Elizabeth.  Nobody would see it coming!

If they don't pair Carson with Elizabeth, then maybe consider a Carson/Fiona romance.  Obviously, I'm not fond of Carson's current pairing.  They have zero chemistry.

I thought the premiere episode was beyond dull.  Maybe my negative reaction is pandemic driven because the director was required to make odd staging choices.  That said, the pandemic has nothing do do with storyline.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

It is interesting to read the comments today as the general consensus then was that the show was done after both Laughlin and Lissing left.

Speaking as someone who has abandoned this show and is now just trolling this thread, the show kind of is done, so having participated in those comments, I don't think we were necessarily wrong.  It doesn't sound like the show has recovered its soul and is now limping along largely because Erin Krakow knows an easy, steady paycheck when she sees one.  And hey, considering the state of acting/theater/movies during Covid, that's not a bad place to be in if Hallmark is still willing to sign said paychecks.

I'm not one to criticize y'all though.  I'm doing the exact same thing with Heartland, which has gone down an identical path of, show is on too long, plots get stupid and repetitive, major star decides it's time to bail so his character is killed off, and now no one really knows why they're still watching.  And Heartland has been on for literally twice as long as WCTH so, joke's on me I guess.  (Also fun fact for anyone who doesn't watch it: Kevin McGarry is in that too.  It sucks that Nathan is so sullen because his Heartland character is a goofy sweetheart.  A doormat, but a sweetheart.  It's hard to picture him playing a brooding jerk.)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

That makes sense I guess, though the last time I watched, Abigail had sort of broken up with Bill and was flirting with a minister (who doesn't appear to be in the show anymore, or at least not in any of the episodes I've seen.)  Did he disappear as part of the Lori Laughlin purge, or had Abigail moved on from him as well?

I think the show was going to separate Abigail and the minister guy - Frank because they had him going to another town to preach or something?  Can someone with a better memory remind us what the show said/did?  I know Frank's absence was addressed in the show, but can't recall details since I never cared about him or him and Abigail as a couple.

3 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I'm not one to criticize y'all though.  I'm doing the exact same thing with Heartland, which has gone down an identical path of, show is on too long, plots get stupid and repetitive, major star decides it's time to bail so his character is killed off, and now no one really knows why they're still watching.  And Heartland has been on for literally twice as long as WCTH so, joke's on me I guess.  (Also fun fact for anyone who doesn't watch it: Kevin McGarry is in that too.  It sucks that Nathan is so sullen because his Heartland character is a goofy sweetheart.  A doormat, but a sweetheart.  It's hard to picture him playing a brooding jerk.)

Others on this forum mentioned that Kevin McGarry is on that Heartland show....but is he still on it?  I guess it's not crazy that he could do two shows at one time!

On 2/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, scenicbyway said:

I think Elizabeth and Lucas have better chemistry and the character seems to actually care about Elizabeth.  I don't think they've done a great job in pairing her with either one so far. 

Really? I think that Elizabeth and Nathan have more chemistry.  She looks at him like she is practically pining for him. I think she is hesitant to go there because he is a Mountie.   I think Lucas is kind of sleazy, trying to control things, with him sending off her book to his Mommy.   It annoys me how Elizabeth put off Nathan and won't even go to dinner with him, when she ran off for the hotel thing and the champagne dinner with Lucas. 

13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I think the show was going to separate Abigail and the minister guy - Frank because they had him going to another town to preach or something?  Can someone with a better memory remind us what the show said/did?  I know Frank's absence was addressed in the show, but can't recall details since I never cared about him or him and Abigail as a couple.

I don’t remember hearing anything on the show, but I did a quick search and the couple of articles I found said they haven’t really addressed it; he’s just gone. The only thing I’ve heard was before Clara and Jesse’s wedding when there wasn’t anyone to officiate. Of course, I fast-forward a lot when characters I don’t like are on screen, so if Frank’s whereabouts were addressed by, say, Bill or Faith or Freaking Ally, I missed it.

32 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I don’t remember hearing anything on the show, but I did a quick search and the couple of articles I found said they haven’t really addressed it; he’s just gone. The only thing I’ve heard was before Clara and Jesse’s wedding when there wasn’t anyone to officiate. Of course, I fast-forward a lot when characters I don’t like are on screen, so if Frank’s whereabouts were addressed by, say, Bill or Faith or Freaking Ally, I missed it.

Frank and Abigail “broke up” he went to work in a different town temporarily, came back and said he was moving there and Abigail was fine with parting ways.  I think he’d been gone basically a whole season anyway at that point.

I think the plan was for Abigail and Henry to get together but then Lori left.  It was awkward because Henry then gave his redemption speech to Elizabeth instead.  Now Henry has no purpose, no love interest, no longer the bad guy.

• Love 4
On 2/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, scenicbyway said:

Frank and Abigail “broke up” he went to work in a different town temporarily, came back and said he was moving there and Abigail was fine with parting ways.  I think he’d been gone basically a whole season anyway at that point.

I think the plan was for Abigail and Henry to get together but then Lori left.  It was awkward because Henry then gave his redemption speech to Elizabeth instead.  Now Henry has no purpose, no love interest, no longer the bad guy.

Yes, he had been gone for just about all of Season 5 without much of any explanation. Then when Elizabeth and Jack were about to marry, they suddenly backpeddled into this whole explanation about how he had gone to volunteer at a children's hospital, but he would come back in order to marry his old friends. At that time, he and Abigail talked, and basically parted because he was so in love with his new gig, but they knew her life was always going to be Hope Valley.

• Love 1

So Nathan rides by Elizabeth sitting by the road and decides to declare he loves her twice? WTH, have they ever even been on a date? He’s in love with her from the few times they’ve walked through town together, normally with Allie along as well? Holy no plot development.  

I’m guessing Lucas’ dad leaving his mom will now create the rift between Lucas and Elizabeth since she knows and he doesn’t.  She’ll also get the impression that he’s like his father and won’t settle down.  Whatever.  The minute they cast the new Mountie with a niece to bond with Elizabeth at school and be old enough to babysit Jack it was always Nathan because the teacher chooses the Mountie in the books.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I love her hairstyle in those pictures.  She looks great with bangs and a choppy lob.  Could Hallmark perhaps be finally getting the hint about the endless parade of mermaid waves?

Sorry, I disagree. I think bangs don't flatter Krakow at all. In fact, do bangs flatter ANY adult female!?

2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

So Nathan rides by Elizabeth sitting by the road and decides to declare he loves her twice? WTH, have they ever even been on a date? He’s in love with her from the few times they’ve walked through town together, normally with Allie along as well? Holy no plot development.  

I’m guessing Lucas’ dad leaving his mom will now create the rift between Lucas and Elizabeth since she knows and he doesn’t.  She’ll also get the impression that he’s like his father and won’t settle down.  Whatever.  The minute they cast the new Mountie with a niece to bond with Elizabeth at school and be old enough to babysit Jack it was always Nathan because the teacher chooses the Mountie in the books.

I had a bit of a chuckle when Nathan declared his love, because of the context @scenicbyway wrote above. Nathan and Elizabeth have never had even one single date, but he knows he loves her!?!?  Anyhoo, I guess if nothing else, Nathan wins the battle of "Who said ILY to Elizabeth first" . 

So am I interpreting the Nathan/Elizabeth scene correctly: if it weren't for his dangerous job, she would choose him?  Did anyone view it differently?

Also, I don't know how much Nathan loves his job/being a Mountie, but if he really, really, really loves it, saying he'd give it up for Elizabeth is asking for trouble later. He could come to resent her for it. (WCTH probably thought it would seem romantic, but I saw it as dumb).

As for friction between Elizabeth and Lucas because she's keeping the secret about his father, that's possible, but Loose Lips Lizzie told Rosemary (way to betray a confidence!  If Lucas 's mom didn't like Elizabeth, she really has reason to dislike her now!) so I could see the secret being spilled via Rosemary.  She might say something to Lee, who might say something to Jesse, who might say something.... Just a big old game of telephone!

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 2

A few other thoughts on the most recent episode  (S8, E2 "Honestly, Elizabeth):  

1) If the setting of Hope Valley is somewhere in Canada, did Canada ever once use nickels & dimes are part of their currency? If not, pretty dumb to make the barber shop a play on names if there is zero context for it in Canada!

2) Was Hawaiian music really set on vinyl at this time so that it could be played on a gramophone?  I side eye how quickly Elizabeth was able to procure Hawaiian music in freaking Hope Valley!  Doesn't seem like the kind of place where someone would have Hawaiian songs just laying around.

3) OK, so we see that Jack's horse is still around.  What happened to his dog?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

A few other thoughts on the most recent episode  (S8, E2 "Honestly, Elizabeth):  

1) If the setting of Hope Valley is somewhere in Canada, did Canada ever once use nickels & dimes are part of their currency? If not, pretty dumb to make the barber shop a play on names if there is zero context for it in Canada!

2) Was Hawaiian music really set on vinyl at this time so that it could be played on a gramophone?  I side eye how quickly Elizabeth was able to procure Hawaiian music in freaking Hope Valley!  Doesn't seem like the kind of place where someone would have Hawaiian songs just laying around.

3) OK, so we see that Jack's horse is still around.  What happened to his dog?

Agree. Also they are all so clean with amazing wardrobes. The streets are pristine. No one has a runny nose. No one has a bad hair day.  Hallmark of course 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, norcalgal said:

So am I interpreting the Nathan/Elizabeth scene correctly: if it weren't for his dangerous job, she would choose him?  Did anyone view it differently?

That's how I took it, his occupatation holding her back.

Nickles & dimes are Canadian currency, they did away with pennies only.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Artsda said:

That's how I took it, his occupatation holding her back.

Nickles & dimes are Canadian currency, they did away with pennies only.

Huh, you learn something new every day.  So nickels and dimes are still in use in today's Canadian currency?  But is the cash equivalency the same as American currency?

nickel = 5 cents

dime = 10 cents

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Huh, you learn something new every day.  So nickels and dimes are still in use in today's Canadian currency?  But is the cash equivalency the same as American currency?

nickel = 5 cents

dime = 10 cents

Yes.

I rolled my eyes so hard at Nathan’s declaration of love that they fell out of my head and I had to chase them down the hall. At least Hallmark is consistent with their ridiculous message of “you annoy me - it must be love!” 

I didn’t hate this episode. Minor doses of characters who usually irritate me, and now that the poster upthread mentioned last week’s weird blocking I couldn’t unsee it this week. 

I also can’t unsee the way Jack Wagner pinches the corners of his mouth when he talks. It’s as if he’s always preparing to bust into a flute solo. 

We got a throwaway Frank reference! He’s off being a missionary!

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just don't get the progression of the "relationship" between Nathan and Elizabeth. I feel like they've never had conversations other than in passing on the street, or about Allie. And suddenly he loves her and she all but says she loves him? Whatever, show. Also, their interactions always make me cringe, like I have to watch through my fingers. That's not how I want a romance to make me feel.

After last episode I still wasn't sure which way the show was going to go between Nathan and Lucas, but with that scene, I don't see how the show could plausibly go with Lucas. Not because of Nathan declaring he loves her (whatever), but because Elizabeth didn't say she didn't love him, or that she wasn't sure yet how she felt. It was implied that she DOES love him (why? how?) but was worried about his job. Which was never an impression I got previously; before that it was always that she wasn't sure how she felt, even though she definitely cared about both.

I have a feeling she's going to try to convince herself to choose Lucas because of her fears about Nathan's job (and not wanting him to give it up), and then end up giving in and ultimately going with Nathan. Likely hurting Lucas in the process (though whichever one she ends up with, the other one was always going to be hurt).

Which, bleh. This is not what I want. Lucas actually has interests in common with her, and seems capable of having conversations with her.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, redpencil said:

I just don't get the progression of the "relationship" between Nathan and Elizabeth. I feel like they've never had conversations other than in passing on the street, or about Allie. And suddenly he loves her and she all but says she loves him? Whatever, show. Also, their interactions always make me cringe, like I have to watch through my fingers. That's not how I want a romance to make me feel.

After last episode I still wasn't sure which way the show was going to go between Nathan and Lucas, but with that scene, I don't see how the show could plausibly go with Lucas. Not because of Nathan declaring he loves her (whatever), but because Elizabeth didn't say she didn't love him, or that she wasn't sure yet how she felt. It was implied that she DOES love him (why? how?) but was worried about his job. Which was never an impression I got previously; before that it was always that she wasn't sure how she felt, even though she definitely cared about both.

I have a feeling she's going to try to convince herself to choose Lucas because of her fears about Nathan's job (and not wanting him to give it up), and then end up giving in and ultimately going with Nathan. Likely hurting Lucas in the process (though whichever one she ends up with, the other one was always going to be hurt).

Which, bleh. This is not what I want. Lucas actually has interests in common with her, and seems capable of having conversations with her.

I don't get the progression either, or lack of a progression.  How can Nathan and Elizabeth only have been on a few walks talking about town stuff but be in love?  Because they are implying she loves him as well, so much so she had to run away from him.  In the brief interactions they've had he's lectured her or told her to mind her own business (sounds like love to me?). The only thing they have in common is that she's Ally's teacher and Elizabeth was previously married to a Mountie. What else have they shown us? Nothing.  It perpetuates such a bad stereotype that he treats her poorly so that means love...no, it just means he'd always treat her poorly.

She's actually dated Lucas for a year now off and on.  He's been supportive and caring and gave her space when he thought she had feelings for Nathan.  They can have actual conversations.  But they've manufactured this secret with his mother, so it won't end well.  I expect Lucas will leave Hope Valley once Elizabeth runs through town declaring her love for Nathan after another close call.  Whatever.

• Love 3
(edited)
44 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

She's actually dated Lucas for a year now off and on.  He's been supportive and caring and gave her space when he thought she had feelings for Nathan.  They can have actual conversations.

This whole thing just cheapens Elizabeth's character. Like she does not know what love is when she had a 'Chalk dust to eternity' relationship with Jack. Now that he is died she is like well what red serge is next up? In the mean time I date around with the saloon owner. If it was true love there would not be all this dating and 'do I like him or him' crap. Why are they treating this grown women with a child (who will never know his father) like a blushing teenager enamored with have two suitors and does not know her own mind who wants to stay true to the love of her life. Horrible. 

Having said that, I think Lee and Rosemary could carry their own show, and they should have let J&E have their happy ever after and ride off into the sunset and focus on Lee and Rosemary. Because they are an interesting couple and have lots of storylines that would be interesting with his business, her 'gotta know everything going on' and their journey to having children. 

Edited by enduringforce
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Our currency is exactly the same as yours (except for value, obviously.)  In coin, we have dollars (loonies), quarters, dimes, nickels and also a $2 coin (toonie.)  We no longer have pennies, which took exactly one transaction to appreciate.  Cash transactions ending in .01, .02, .06 or .07 are rounded down to the nearest 5 cents and transactions ending in .03, .04, .08 or .09 are rounded up.  Credit and debit card transactions are charged the exact amount.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, enduringforce said:

Having said that, I think Lee and Rosemary could carry their own show... Because they are an interesting couple and have lots of storylines that would be interesting with his business, her 'gotta know everything going on' and their journey to having children. 

I don’t think there’s much of a journey to have children though.  They’ve been married for years, they’ve had orphans on the show and the most interest they’ve had has been in having their own vs adopting.  There wasn’t really anything doctors could do back then to help. But if they can have electric Christmas lights, maybe they can have IVF?

• LOL 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

But if they can have electric Christmas lights, maybe they can have IVF?

Ha, ha right? An Carson was doing brain surgery back in S5, so who knows?

But I was meaning adoption. I really did think they would adopt which would be the tie-in with the spin-off show.

Edited by enduringforce
  • Love 2

The books really romanticize the Mounties in general so I was pretty sure from day one that it was going to be Nathan.  Hallmark also has a conservative fanbase so bonus army wives points.  I remember in Jack's final days they were going hard with the whole "duty to my country" thing, which is why I thought the actual way he died was...an interesting choice.  If you're gonna kill the guy at least give him a super heroic death.  An offscreen death by rocks is just lame.

5 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

In the brief interactions they've had he's lectured her or told her to mind her own business (sounds like love to me?). The only thing they have in common is that she's Ally's teacher and Elizabeth was previously married to a Mountie. What else have they shown us? Nothing.  It perpetuates such a bad stereotype that he treats her poorly so that means love...no, it just means he'd always treat her poorly.

Hallmark definitely loves the whole "enemies turned lovers" trope.  And that trope can work if it's done well.  But there have to be hints of attraction and caring, and the shift needs to be gradual.  With Nathan it's basically, "You suck.  Just kidding, I love you."  And she's all, "You suck too.  Oh wait really?  Me too!"  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I normally do this with the trillions of holiday movies on all the different channels (Hallmark, Lifetime, etc.) but I can play it on WCTH too!  What game is that you ask?  It's the "spot the guest star and recall what other roles you've seen them in".  Lucas's mom has played a mom on tons of other Hallmark productions. I can't recall the movie, but I remember her wearing these yellow tinted glasses and thought that was a weird wardrobe choice.

Anyhoo...my DVR/PVR cut off the preview for the next episode, so I'm fairly spoiler free for this sunday's show.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I normally do this with the trillions of holiday movies on all the different channels (Hallmark, Lifetime, etc.) but I can play it on WCTH too!  What game is that you ask?  It's the "spot the guest star and recall what other roles you've seen them in"

Ha! I do the same thing! It’s usually a pretty easy game, though: the answer seems to always be “The one where the woman with her dream job either goes home to save the festival/family store that only sells one weird thing like golf tees, or her car breaks down in Pleasantville while she’s en route to a Super Important Conference but she has never tasted apple pie before and she must stay to learn more about this new wondrous combination of fruit and dough. Because Her Promotion is At Stake! There, she reunites with her 2nd grade boyfriend who hates her for moving away to go to college while he’s still on the farm, but wait! He did a stint as an investment banker and came to realize he hates reliable wifi service so he moved home to pine over their initials on...the pine in his back yard. Which she wants to cut down for her employer’s Christmas tree because it is literally the only tree left in the entire country. Meanwhile, the apple pie is just so delicious that, in true Lotus-Eater fashion, she finds herself unwilling to leave and after 1:30 of bickering but realizing she’s in deep, everlasting love on her third hour in town, at 1:35 she overhears half of a conversation in which the man says something like “yeah, she’s a real nightmare” and she flees because the world revolves around her and everyone is sad and refusing to speak until 1:55 when she learns that he had in fact been talking about his jalopy. And she gets her promotion but she decides the apple pie is just too amazing to give up.”

Am I close?

4 hours ago, enduringforce said:

An Carson was doing brain surgery back in S5, so who knows?

Oh, man, I had completely blanked this out!

1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

I remember in Jack's final days they were going hard with the whole "duty to my country" thing, which is why I thought the actual way he died was...an interesting choice.  If you're gonna kill the guy at least give him a super heroic death.  An offscreen death by rocks is just lame.

Too bad there wasn’t a nice war they could have sent him to instead, but that’s just crazy talk. 

• LOL 10
22 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Ha! I do the same thing! It’s usually a pretty easy game, though: the answer seems to always be “The one where the woman with her dream job either goes home to save the festival/family store that only sells one weird thing like golf tees, or her car breaks down in Pleasantville while she’s en route to a Super Important Conference but she has never tasted apple pie before and she must stay to learn more about this new wondrous combination of fruit and dough. Because Her Promotion is At Stake! There, she reunites with her 2nd grade boyfriend who hates her for moving away to go to college while he’s still on the farm, but wait! He did a stint as an investment banker and came to realize he hates reliable wifi service so he moved home to pine over their initials on...the pine in his back yard. Which she wants to cut down for her employer’s Christmas tree because it is literally the only tree left in the entire country. Meanwhile, the apple pie is just so delicious that, in true Lotus-Eater fashion, she finds herself unwilling to leave and after 1:30 of bickering but realizing she’s in deep, everlasting love on her third hour in town, at 1:35 she overhears half of a conversation in which the man says something like “yeah, she’s a real nightmare” and she flees because the world revolves around her and everyone is sad and refusing to speak until 1:55 when she learns that he had in fact been talking about his jalopy. And she gets her promotion but she decides the apple pie is just too amazing to give up.”

Am I close?

This actually had me laughing so hard that my daughter just came in from another room to see what all the fuss was about!!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

I normally do this with the trillions of holiday movies on all the different channels (Hallmark, Lifetime, etc.) but I can play it on WCTH too!  What game is that you ask?  It's the "spot the guest star and recall what other roles you've seen them in".  Lucas's mom has played a mom on tons of other Hallmark productions. I can't recall the movie, but I remember her wearing these yellow tinted glasses and thought that was a weird wardrobe choice.

Anyhoo...my DVR/PVR cut off the preview for the next episode, so I'm fairly spoiler free for this sunday's show.

Right. She played Grace in Cedar Cove too

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Am I close?

Oh, man, I had completely blanked this out!

Too bad there wasn’t a nice war they could have sent him to instead, but that’s just crazy talk. 

Your replies are HILARIOUS!!! Maybe you should write Hallmark scripts.

• Love 2

Ugh with the it so clearly being Nathan because apparently mounties are interchangeable.   I really think this cheapens her relationshipwith Jack but whatever, I never cared much for them.

Still here for Lee and Rosemary, but why? why? why? have they not at least said the word adoption?  I mean they are super tight with people who own an orphanage.   

Am always here for Henry.  There isn't much point to him without Lori but I don't care I always am here for more Henry.

I am interested, potentially, in the hew non white member of Hope Valley.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Ugh with the it so clearly being Nathan because apparently mounties are interchangeable.   I really think this cheapens her relationshipwith Jack but whatever, I never cared much for them.

Still here for Lee and Rosemary, but why? why? why? have they not at least said the word adoption?  I mean they are super tight with people who own an orphanage.   

Am always here for Henry.  There isn't much point to him without Lori but I don't care I always am here for more Henry.

I am interested, potentially, in the hew non white member of Hope Valley.  

I’m interested in Henry as well because he seems to be accidentally complex. Whoever wrote him clearly stumbled onto the wrong show.

But...mounties are interchangeable! It’s the coat, see? No one can actually see above their shoulders! Who needs someone who cares about your interests when you can have that coat to look at instead!

Don’t get me wrong: I grew up in a military (later cop) home and completely understand the appeal of a uniform, but good grief, show. It really does seem more like he just needs someone to deal with Allie. 

Joseph’s addition is overdue, but I highly doubt that a show that doesn’t even acknowledge that The War to End All Wars is currently raging will have anything whatsoever to say about turn of the century race relations in rural Canada.

14 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Your replies are HILARIOUS!!! Maybe you should write Hallmark scripts.

Thank you! ☺️ I’d probably get fired on day one, though. I’d be interrupting filming all the time with comments like “who leaves their shoes on to sleep on the couch?? ...OMG it’s hardwood floors, take those spiky heels off! ...She’s been in that cocktail dress and those heels for hours - she’s not going to walk in and head straight to the closet to pull out her memory box while she’s still in full party regalia!” My favorite was the one I saw a few weeks ago in which the female lead (wearing heels in the snow, don’t get me started) sprains her ankle badly enough that she can’t put any weight on it, then allows herself to be taken to the male lead’s flower shop for ice instead of going to the doctor, then leaves about 15 minutes later still in her heels with no trace of a limp.

I’m clearly too much of a pedant for this show: if I were writing it there wouldn’t be any able-bodied men with so much leisure time (certainly not hanging out in the saloon), the women would be rolling bandages, Faith would be off working in either a field hospital in France or running into Amelia Earhart in a Toronto hospital, and Fiona would be a budding code-breaker working with Elizebeth Smith Friedman in the US.

Barring that, I don’t need realism on the level of bleak crime dramas, but some attempts at believability would be nice. Maybe starting with toning down the makeup and putting the women in hats. Or retconning the dates so I can stop harping on the lack of war news. Or paying just a little more attention to language and etiquette. Is it really too much to ask that characters not greet each other with “hey” like it’s Dawson’s Creek?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Joseph’s addition is overdue, but I highly doubt that a show that doesn’t even acknowledge that The War to End All Wars is currently raging will have anything whatsoever to say about turn of the century race relations in rural Canada.

THIS - to the nth degree. That's why I like what the show Christy  (a show set @ the same time as WCTH)  did when Levar Burton joined the cast. They did actually address his race and didn't have his character be automatically and fully embraced by the community.

Thank you! ☺️ I’d probably get fired on day one, though. I’d be interrupting filming all the time with comments like “who leaves their shoes on to sleep on the couch?? ...OMG it’s hardwood floors, take those spiky heels off! ...She’s been in that cocktail dress and those heels for hours - she’s not going to walk in and head straight to the closet to pull out her memory box while she’s still in full party regalia!” My favorite was the one I saw a few weeks ago in which the female lead (wearing heels in the snow, don’t get me started) sprains her ankle badly enough that she can’t put any weight on it, then allows herself to be taken to the male lead’s flower shop for ice instead of going to the doctor, then leaves about 15 minutes later still in her heels with no trace of a limp.

As someone who badly sprained my ankle and was laid up for 2 full weeks when I couldn't do a damn thing (hubby had to take time off work to care for the kids/pet/household) that kind of 'alternate reality" would have me rolling my eyes so hard, they'd pop out!  (This happened about 3 years ago and to this day, my ankle still experiences twinges).

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

As someone who badly sprained my ankle and was laid up for 2 full weeks when I couldn't do a damn thing (hubby had to take time off work to care for the kids/pet/household) that kind of 'alternate reality" would have me rolling my eyes so hard, they'd pop out!  (This happened about 3 years ago and to this day, my ankle still experiences twinges).

I also thought of the last time I sprained my ankle. I was able to get around with a brace but didn’t sleep or shower in it. I had to buy a set of crutches just to get to and from the bathroom every morning because putting any weight on my foot made me want to faint.

I watched Christy too but not faithfully and don’t remember Levar Burton. Really I only remember the Scottish doctor. 🙂

If WCTH tries to introduce racial discussions around Joseph, I’ll be shocked. Hope Valley is too idyllic! None of the regular characters will have a problem with him, which means at “best” we’ll get A Very Special Episode in which some passing stranger in the hotel objects to his sitting at the same table to dine with Henry, Lucas throws him out (the stranger), and everything goes back to normal after Elizabeth explains to Opal’s teddy bear (in her talking-to-Jack-Jr-voice) the importance of being decent to everyone.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

If WCTH tries to introduce racial discussions around Joseph, I’ll be shocked. Hope Valley is too idyllic! None of the regular characters will have a problem with him, which means at “best” we’ll get A Very Special Episode in which some passing stranger in the hotel objects to his sitting at the same table to dine with Henry, Lucas throws him out (the stranger), and everything goes back to normal after Elizabeth explains to Opal’s teddy bear (in her talking-to-Jack-Jr-voice) the importance of being decent to everyone.

Yeah that sounds like race relations according to Hallmark.  I hope they're not dumb enough to throw in an "All lives matter!" line.

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked this last episode far more than the first one this season almost entirely because there were no awkward/cringey scenes between Nathan and Elizabeth. And then they had to add the last angsty cinematic scene with her standing there looking at both Lucas and Nathan. /eye roll

Really enjoying Fiona, and also Florence suddenly in a fledgling love triangle, lol.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 2

Agh Elizabeth loves Nathan. Of course she does they've had no conversation that wasn't about Allie and he treats her like crap. Why end up with Lucas who she's actually dated, had conversations with and he takes an interest in her interests. It still amazes me. They could have built Nathan and Elizabeth up, they could have showed them dating but chose not to. They've given no reason to route for Nathan while they've given us plenty of reason to route for Lucas and Elizabeth. Even when Nathan's with other characters I just really don't care. Does he like being a Mountie? I don't know. Does he have interests? Who knows. He's just a Mountie. 

Same with Jesse. I really don't have any interest. He doesn't really do anything. Clara's boring but we at least see her doing other things. Working in the diner, working in the dress shop, talking with friends. 

I hope we find out what's going on with Henry soon. Him having an interest in Florence was unexpected but I liked it. The shop owner also likes her? Good for her. 

Still love Rosemary and Lee. They are cute. I wish they'd give them a kid or something. Rosemary might not keep the dress shop? Interesting.

Fiona is my other favorite character. She's really the only character that's doing something. She's opened a barber shop. She's trying to get customers. She wanted to go help with the oil accident. She was told to stay but I love that she ended up going anyway. Good for her.

It made me sad to watch all the women just waiting in town during the accident. Really? None of them could go help? Does the show even remember that it started out with women struggling to rebuild their lives after their husbands and sons were killed in the coal mining accident? That they did stuff?   

Their finally adding a black family? Good. Its about time.  

• Love 2
On 3/3/2021 at 9:23 AM, sharifa70 said:

I’m clearly too much of a pedant for this show: if I were writing it there wouldn’t be any able-bodied men with so much leisure time (certainly not hanging out in the saloon), the women would be rolling bandages, Faith would be off working in either a field hospital in France or running into Amelia Earhart in a Toronto hospital, and Fiona would be a budding code-breaker working with Elizebeth Smith Friedman in the US.

I'm worried about the future generation of Hope Valley.  In this week's episode, Elizabeth ran into Nathan coming out of the saloon with a stack of books in his hands.  "What's this?" she asks.  "Books", he replies, identifying them for the apparently clueless school teacher/author. "For the library."

• Love 1
15 hours ago, redpencil said:

Really enjoying Fiona, and also Florence suddenly in a fledgling love triangle, lol.

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hope we find out what's going on with Henry soon. Him having an interest in Florence was unexpected but I liked it. The shop owner also likes her? Good for her. 

Fiona is my other favorite character. She's really the only character that's doing something. She's opened a barber shop. She's trying to get customers. She wanted to go help with the oil accident. She was told to stay but I love that she ended up going anyway. Good for her.

Their finally adding a black family? Good. Its about time.  

Chiming in on all the Fiona love. She is without a doubt my fave character. 

Florence & Henry/Ned?!  Wow - I didn't see any possible triangle so I must have fallen asleep during those scenes.  Also - don't care about whatever couple emerges out of these three.

Yes, nice to see an actual minority family on canvas. Just too bad they won't address how actual minorities were treated during this time period.  At least Bridgerton explained how black folks were able to achieve social equality, while acknowledging it's still not all wine and roses for the black community in Britain during the Regency period.

27 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Anybody besides me cheering Lucas on when he started snarking at Elizabeth? 

It was kinda refreshing. 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, good on him for standing up for himself!  I think Lucas believes Elizabeth does know who she feels a tendre for and who she wants to be with, but she won't "man up". Good for Lucas calling her out for not acknowledging her feelings, while hypocritically telling his mom to be honest about her feelings!  

I really, really, really wish WCTH had developed the relationship between Nathan and Elizabeth more/better. I 'ship this couple because I think they are a better physical match (in looks/height) than Lucas/Elizabeth.

In any event, since there's nothing better for me to do, I'll still continue to watch this show on Sunday nights, but I hope the show ends. [It really should have ended a few seasons ago].

• Love 1

Well, as predicted, Lucas's mom's secret has driven a wedge between Elizabeth and Lucas.  Whatever.  I didn't like how she didn't take any responsibility for keeping the secret.  Understandably Lucas was upset with Liz and the idea his parents weren't in love anymore.  I see this making him a sceptic when it comes to love now. 

Meanwhile, they are building up big drama with Nathan and a pointless Mountie trial, no doubt to introduce the idea he might've known Jack even though he's already said he didn't.  I would guess he'll say he sort of knew him and what a great guy he was so she'll stop pushing her feelings away and finally let him in.  Ugh

I don't see Lucas sticking around town if he loses Elizabeth, it would be too awkward.  Kind of like it's awkward watching Carson and Faith...he really can't treat her as an equal in the office?  She can't see he has more experience and could learn something from him?  Also, can we get her another clothing change? 3 episodes in the burnt orange pant suit is enough.

Lee, Rosemary and Little Jack really are on their own show together.  Is Rosemary planning to give up the dress shop to take care of Jack?  Was Kevan actually injured and that's why he's playing Lee injured?

Overall, I liked the episode.  No school (where were those kids?), everyone in town had a storyline and there was a crisis everyone could unite in.

• Love 1

I think there might definitely be something to the idea that Nathan was originally intended for the assignment that got Jack killed.  It would explain a lot about his behavior towards Elizabeth and why he's been such a jerk.  Guilt.

It still doesn't explain why she would love him though.  Not when there's this other guy who has been treating her wonderfully the whole time.  I was thinking though that the relationship with Lucas reminds me a little bit of Jo and Laurie from Little Women, where they make great friends but they're not necessarily soul mates.  As someone who was happy to marry her best friend I personally don't get it, but, there is precedent for that kind of story I guess.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

I think there might definitely be something to the idea that Nathan was originally intended for the assignment that got Jack killed.  It would explain a lot about his behavior towards Elizabeth and why he's been such a jerk.  Guilt.

It still doesn't explain why she would love him though.  Not when there's this other guy who has been treating her wonderfully the whole time.  I was thinking though that the relationship with Lucas reminds me a little bit of Jo and Laurie from Little Women, where they make great friends but they're not necessarily soul mates.  As someone who was happy to marry her best friend I personally don't get it, but, there is precedent for that kind of story I guess.

Three years in I think it's beyond the pale that Nathan would've never mentioned to Elizabeth that he had known or had some kind of interaction with Jack.  Even wracked with guilt (potentially) why would have never told her up until this point?  He hasn't always "loved" her, there were many times he could've said something but chose not to.  So I'm really hoping that he didn't know or meet or try to rescue Jack.  If she were to fall for him just by association of Jack that would be ridiculous.  Although, it seems she's fallen for him because he's a Mountie, they've had no dates or other romantic interactions.

I think you're spot on about the Laurie and Jo parallell with Lucas and Elizabeth.  They do seem to be great friends but that appears to be not enough.  I've always hated Little Women for not having Laurie and Jo together when it was so obvious they should be.

The way Nathan has treated Elizabeth through the seasons is the most troubling.  I think it just reinforces stereotypes that if a guy treats you poorly he must like you.  No, he's just treating you poorly.

• Love 6

I can NOT believe they’re still dragging out this stupid triangle business! What is so freaking special about Elizabeth that two men would be soooo in love with her, especially given that she already has a child? Guys are not usually lining up to date a single mom. She’s so wishy-washy, sickeningly sweet, and has a gummy smile. I don’t much care for Nathan and absolutely loathe Allie so I kind of wish Elizabeth would marry him and then he gets transferred far, far away, and all three of them leave Hope Valley forever.

I did think it was interesting that the show made a point of showing Jack’s picture to little Jack. It would seem like foreshadowing that he isn’t really dead and will turn up miraculously alive the minute Elizabeth makes up her mind between Nathan and Lucas (you KNOW this is the kind of melodrama this show would go for), except for there being roughly zero chance of Dan Lissing wanting to return.

Fiona, OTOH, is a much more interesting character and more attractive than Elizabeth (IMO - if I had to choose which of them I’d rather look like, it would be Fiona). So why are the two most eligible men in town (or perhaps the only two) fighting over Elizabeth and completely oblivious to Fiona?

Jesse and the motorcycle: this guy is such a dumbass and so annoying I wish Clara would brain him with a cast iron frying pan. Dude, your wife made her feelings clear about the motorcycle. And you’re too dumb to make sure it has enough gas before going off joyriding?! I thought for sure he was going to end up in a major accident, not just run out of gas and have to walk the bike back to town.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I did think it was interesting that the show made a point of showing Jack’s picture to little Jack. It would seem like foreshadowing that he isn’t really dead and will turn up miraculously alive

I always hoped that a phone call would come telling Elizabeth that Jack is still alive and she needs to leave to reunite with him, she gets a Hope Valley send-off and as she leaves, end credits role. That is the only way to redeem what this show has turned Elizabeth into and get back the warm-hearted feelings this show once had. 

• Love 3

I take it there is more to the story with Nathan and Jack. And somehow that will be the catalyst for Elizabeth ultimately choosing Nathan.  Poor Lucas. 

I like the Canfields. The little boy is adorable. 

I know that Lee’s sister is supposed to bland. But Hallmark goes out of their way to find the most painfully bland actors to play painfully bland characters.

Why does Paul Greene not get more airtime? He has said about 5 lines all season.  And why is he saddled with Faith?  

• Love 3
On 3/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, WhyAmIHere said:

I take it there is more to the story with Nathan and Jack. And somehow that will be the catalyst for Elizabeth ultimately choosing Nathan.  Poor Lucas. 

I like the Canfields. The little boy is adorable. 

I know that Lee’s sister is supposed to bland. But Hallmark goes out of their way to find the most painfully bland actors to play painfully bland characters.

Why does Paul Greene not get more airtime? He has said about 5 lines all season.  And why is he saddled with Faith?  

@WhyAmIHere I agree with you that there’s got to be more to the story of Nathan/Jack, because of the weird interaction between N&E in her asking if Nathan knew Jack, and Nathan’s short response.

Did anyone else get the feeling the Canfield’s daughter’s blindness and society’s reaction was a stand-in for race? In other words, when Mrs. Canfield was telling Elizabeth about how people were mean to the daughter (and Mrs. Canfield said she too has known cruelty), WCTH didn’t have the guts to say it was due to the color of their skin, so instead substituted the daughter’s blindness. Anyway, that’s how I viewed that scene. 

Now, about the preview for next week: Elizabeth already told Lucas that she told Nathan she didn’t want to be with Nathan. The preview showed Lucas & Elizabeth having dinner, then ends with Nathan at her door presumably because of some note she sent Nathan!!!  WTF!?!? Hey lady, stop sending mixed messages! Neither guy deserves you messing around with them like that. Man oh man I hope I’m wrong about the Nathan part of the preview. You wanna be with the guy who has a safe occupation? Then go for it, and stop effing around with the guy to whom you already told you didn’t want. That Lizzy is a piece of work wanting two guys on the end of her fishing pole! Let the other fish go! 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 5