Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, enduringforce said:

Many people, watch this channel for reasons other than it having good quality shows. Some fans of WCTH even think Jesus wants them to watch this show (look it up on Twitter), so as bad as this show has become with it's story lines, bad acting and total disregard to the period in which the show is taking place, I think Hallmark will continue to keep it in the line up. 

Wow.  Um, don't they think Jesus kind of has more important things to worry about right now than what is airing on the Hallmark Channel?  "Dad!!!  Send the locusts!  THEY CANCELED WHEN CALLS THE HEART!!!!"

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

"Dad!!!  Send the locusts!  THEY CANCELED WHEN CALLS THE HEART!!!!"

LOL!!! Believe me, many Hallmark viewers think the 'locusts' have already been called but thy name is 'COVID-19!" 

As an atheist and fan of the show for 5 seasons I truly did not mind any of the 'rely on God' religion talk because it was true to the period. However Bird (and even LL) has said they wanted WCTH to be proselytizing for Christianity, which I don't agree with. However, I don't think any of the other actors on the show have been vocal on religion at all.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, enduringforce said:

LOL!!! Believe me, many Hallmark viewers think the 'locusts' have already been called but thy name is 'COVID-19!" 

As an atheist and fan of the show for 5 seasons I truly did not mind any of the 'rely on God' religion talk because it was true to the period. However Bird (and even LL) has said they wanted WCTH to be proselytizing for Christianity, which I don't agree with. However, I don't think any of the other actors on the show have been vocal on religion at all.

!!!!!!!!!!   By "LL" I think you're referring to Lori Loughlin?  Did she really want to be preaching about the virtues of Christianity/the Gospel given the world and its Uncle knows how she cheated to get her kids into college?!  Wow - I try hard not to be judgy of (Evangelical) Christians but they make it so hard with their hypocrisy/double standards.

I too am an atheist and just roll with the God-speak on the show because I knew going in there would be religious overtones. I just didn't realize any of the cast would turn out to be two-faced.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Did she really want to be preaching about the virtues of Christianity/the Gospel

“Lori Loughlin and I were having a conversation. She just out of the blue said, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool if Abigail could adopt a child in season two?’ We took that idea and began to spin on that. In my own experience, I believe that adoption is in the DNA of the universe. As people of faith, we’re all adopted by God. So adoption is important to God, I believe. I also believe that love is thicker than blood in that context. When I spoke to Lori about that theological underpinning of adoption and my own experience, it was just a beautiful connecting point. 

The above quote was taken from an earlier article I bookmarked in Chrome because I found it so shallow and patronizing excuse for making the show all about herself. 

https://aleteia.org/2017/03/13/roads-to-faith-writerproducer-brian-bird-talks-the-case-for-christ-and-when-calls-the-heart/

• Love 1
On 4/16/2020 at 11:54 AM, enduringforce said:

Tangent: there is a literal locust plague going on in east Africa right now. I am not at all religious but things are starting to feel a little Biblical...

• LOL 1
On 4/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, enduringforce said:

As an atheist and fan of the show for 5 seasons I truly did not mind any of the 'rely on God' religion talk because it was true to the period.

Fellow atheist that is a fan of the show that doesn't mind the rely on God talk because it is ubiquitous not even in the time period but also now (so much eye rolling) it is just what it is.  Everybody thinks all the Halmaerkers are super conservative Christians which obviously is part of the demo but all the Hallmark people I know who watch are like me liberal and skeptical but living in a very chaotic very real world and sometimes like to settle down with something that doesn't require too much thought where everything is going to turn out fine because real life isn't always like that but the break is nice.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

sometimes like to settle down with something that doesn't require too much thought

Yup, that's why I like it for sure, which is why killing Jack was so traumatizing for me. WCTH was the nothing show, but every J&E scene made me smile. Heck even those scenes in season 5 when Elizabeth is simply writing in her journal or a letter summarizing her thoughts about missing Jack made me smile. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Fellow atheist that is a fan of the show that doesn't mind the rely on God talk because it is ubiquitous not even in the time period but also now (so much eye rolling) it is just what it is.  Everybody thinks all the Halmaerkers are super conservative Christians which obviously is part of the demo but all the Hallmark people I know who watch are like me liberal and skeptical but living in a very chaotic very real world and sometimes like to settle down with something that doesn't require too much thought where everything is going to turn out fine because real life isn't always like that but the break is nice.

And that’s why I liked Janette Oke’s books. 

Edited by lookeyloo
On 4/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, enduringforce said:

Yup, that's why I like it for sure, which is why killing Jack was so traumatizing for me. WCTH was the nothing show, but every J&E scene made me smile. Heck even those scenes in season 5 when Elizabeth is simply writing in her journal or a letter summarizing her thoughts about missing Jack made me smile. 

On 4/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, bybrandy said:

Count me in as someone who watches the show because I can turn off my brain for a bit. Um, no offense to anyone...

As for the latest episode, really?!?!?!  So Lee has a secret sister we never heard about?! JFC already - enough with introducing new characters!  If she moves to Hope Valley next season, I might throw something at the tv. As for Fiona, I hope she doesn't actually leave for good or for real. I've always liked her character from the beginning not just because of how the actress portrays Fiona, but the character herself is fun, cheery and charming.

Other than these developments, this episode was a nothing-burger. Just a filler episode until the season finale.  Speaking of...based on the preview, I wonder if the show will actually show us who got shot (if indeed anyone did get shot), or will it be a true cliffhanger? [Who shot J.R.?]

• Love 1
8 hours ago, norcalgal said:

If she moves to Hope Valley next season, I might throw something at the tv.

I don't think she's moving to Hope Valley.  I think she's dying and and leaving her small child/children in the care of Lee and Rosemary.  Which may still cause you to throw things at your TV. 

Certainly she is somehow going to be there to keep them from leaving on or be gifted as her last hurrah a long, long, long cruise because Rosemary must not have nice things.

• Love 2

So, I only watched Elizabeth say yes to Lucas about the book deal and the last two minutes with Elizabeth and Nathan.  I know she was going to push him earlier in the episode to ask her out.  I’m guessing the last scene only happened because Bill intervened with Nathan in someway.

He looked pained to compliment her about saving the girl.  To me he comes across as that boy in high school who is too cool to ask the girl out that he likes so he’s a jerk to her and he’s also really insecure.  Elizabeth has been nothing but encouraging to him even basically apologizing for going out with Lucas.  Which I find really sad because she had a perfect time with Lucas.  

The fact that Nathan could only get out a “you matter to me” 2 years in is ridiculous.  He has a grown up job, a kid and can only tell the woman who’s basically said “I’m yours, just ask” she matters?  Whatever. Lucas treats her like the woman she is, strong, capable and interesting.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

To me he comes across as that boy in high school who is too cool to ask the girl out that he likes so he’s a jerk to her and he’s also really insecure.  Elizabeth has been nothing but encouraging to him even basically apologizing for going out with Lucas.  Which I find really sad because she had a perfect time with Lucas.  

Well I find that Hallmark shows are written like everyone IS in high school, not grown up people who can take charge of their own damn lives. Everything is 'new' and 'never experienced' before even if we have seen the character in the EXACT same position on previous episodes.

This forced 'triangle' thing is not anywhere near doing justice to what Elizabeth had with Jack and it's horrible to think Jack's son will have to grow up with either of these two men. And to allow Elizabeth to not even care about the fact she has a child and is all wide-eyed at both men one moment and then playing one off the other the next is a bad look.

Once again it's the standard Hallmark brand to have characters with no future and no past, I mean come on, family members never talked about become plot points out of the blue. And other family members who are known about just disappear never to be talked about again.

I know, turn off brain to watch this show but REALLY!!!

• Love 2

I find this triangle so tiresome. It's not even a proper triangle with yearning and wanting. It's two men, one of whom is sorta garbage, chasing after a woman and tbh I've seen every episode of those show and I have no idea what they see in Elizabeth. 

and can I just say that as someone who works in publishing and actually has a book out next year, publishing doesn't work this fast! I'm jealous!! (to be fair more time could have elapsed, but it feels like it's been two weeks since Elizabeth was like "here read this!" and then Lucas was like "here's a book deal!")

Shame they bought Fiona back just to have her leave again. How rude! I love her. 

2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Certainly she is somehow going to be there to keep them from leaving on or be gifted as her last hurrah a long, long, long cruise because Rosemary must not have nice things.

I have the exact same feeling and just like LET ROSEMARY HAVE NICE THINGS!!

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Shame they bought Fiona back just to have her leave again. How rude! I love her. 

I was wondering where they were going with this Fiona story. I thought it would be some sort of sexual harassment story when we saw her on the phone and then crying. She and Rosemary are my favorite characters and I’d hate to see either leave. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I don't think she's moving to Hope Valley.  I think she's dying and and leaving her small child/children in the care of Lee and Rosemary.  Which may still cause you to throw things at your TV. 

UGH!  This better not happen!!! As it is, there are enough kids in Elizabeth's classroom who get zero speaking lines. Not to mention child actors are randomly brought in/out to be background filler. (For example, I saw a black child in the classroom when I can't recall ever seeing her before, but I'm sure she'll be gone next week or next season).

2 hours ago, enduringforce said:

Well I find that Hallmark shows are written like everyone IS in high school, not grown up people who can take charge of their own damn lives. Everything is 'new' and 'never experienced' before even if we have seen the character in the EXACT same position on previous episodes.

This forced 'triangle' thing is not anywhere near doing justice to what Elizabeth had with Jack and it's horrible to think Jack's son will have to grow up with either of these two men. And to allow Elizabeth to not even care about the fact she has a child and is all wide-eyed at both men one moment and then playing one off the other the next is a bad look.

Once again it's the standard Hallmark brand to have characters with no future and no past, I mean come on, family members never talked about become plot points out of the blue. And other family members who are known about just disappear never to be talked about again.

I know, turn off brain to watch this show but REALLY!!!

Yeah, I hardly ever watch any other Hallmark shows except WCTH because the storylines are sooooo simplistic and whitewashed. Society (no interracial couples, no one with drug/alcohol issues, no one struggling with jobs/finances, people ONLY range from middle to upper middle class to wealthy, etc.) and families (main character is almost never divorced - only widowed, no couples co-habitate unless married, majority of families are nuclear families, etc.) are sanitized.  I'm not saying there has to be gritty reality, but some recognition of "real life" would be nice.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, I hardly ever watch any other Hallmark shows except WCTH because the storylines are sooooo simplistic and whitewashed. Society (no interracial couples, no one with drug/alcohol issues, no one struggling with jobs/finances, people ONLY range from middle to upper middle class to wealthy, etc.) and families (main character is almost never divorced - only widowed, no couples co-habitate unless married, majority of families are nuclear families, etc.) are sanitized.  I'm not saying there has to be gritty reality, but some recognition of "real life" would be nice.

So, I've been a casual watcher of Chesapeake Shores.  I've mostly done it for the lol's, because I live in Maryland and just in terms of scenery the show is so blatantly inaccurate it's hilarious.  Seriously, there are mountains in the background (the area surrounding the bay is flat), the water of the "Chesapeake Bay" is pristine (the actual bay is murky and the sight of empty beer cans floating by is not uncommon), and people wear sweaters and blankets to July 4th fireworks shows, which, it's so humid here in July that you'd suffocate if you tried to do that.  (I love it here, I'm just poking fun.)

Anyway, that aside -- it contains elements of the things you've mentioned.  The main female lead is divorced, and the show actually doesn't put her back with her ex-husband when he tries to reconcile with her, because he's a jerk.  People lose their jobs and their businesses get into financial trouble.  So, it should be good, right?  Conflict, right?  Not really.  Because the problems don't last, and people aren't really active participants in their happy endings.  They just sort of happen.  It is, as you say, simplistic and white washed.  I compare that with something like Once Upon a Time (great show if you're looking for something to marathon during quarantine), where just about every character eventually had a happy ending, but it wasn't easy to get there.  Nor did they pretend that reality didn't exist or that kids, if they were watching, needed to necessarily be sheltered from basic life truths, it just approached all of these things in ways that felt real.  That's not a bad accomplishment for a show that's literally about fairy tale characters.  And that's why I've basically given up on Hallmark, because I think they've proven they just can't find the balance between family friendly and providing actual conflict. 

I'm still watching CS (if it ever comes back, the last season ended in a way that could suggest it is done), but I'm watching it I think for the same reason you guys are still watching WCTH.  I'm with it until the end but it's just so freaking frustrating (and increasingly very boring) and I really don't know why I bother.  Hallmark has a way of making their shows last way too long.  Ironically all of the things I'm talking about I think would have contributed to WCTH having a great ending if they had just ended it when DL wanted to leave.  Five years of being there for each other culminating in a wedding and beginning a life together.

34 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I saw a black child in the classroom when I can't recall ever seeing her before, but I'm sure she'll be gone next week or next season

That is the most Hallmark thing I've ever heard.  I just looked it up and black people were 3% of the population of Canada in 2016.  This show is taking place (at least in theory) a hundred years before that, in I think what is now British Columbia, and I'm not Canadian so I don't know the history but apparently Canada had segregation too.  A black child in an early 20th century schoolroom in rural BC should be like, an entire storyline!  Where did she come from?!?  Who is her family?  Did anyone in the community have a problem with her being in school with their children, or are we ignoring racism the same way we are ignoring the gigantic war taking place?  We're just sticking her in the background, presumably so we can point to her and be like, "See!  See!  DIVERSITY!"  WHY HALLMARK, WHYYYYY????

• Love 4
4 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

He looked pained to compliment her about saving the girl.  To me he comes across as that boy in high school who is too cool to ask the girl out that he likes so he’s a jerk to her and he’s also really insecure.  Elizabeth has been nothing but encouraging to him even basically apologizing for going out with Lucas.  Which I find really sad because she had a perfect time with Lucas.  

The fact that Nathan could only get out a “you matter to me” 2 years in is ridiculous.  He has a grown up job, a kid and can only tell the woman who’s basically said “I’m yours, just ask” she matters?  Whatever. Lucas treats her like the woman she is, strong, capable and interesting.

I keep hoping each new episode will give me a reason to root for Nathan since I know she wants to pick him in the end but it's so dang hard! She got mad Lucas for sending her chapters to his mom (yes wrong for him to do without asking and definitely awkward since it's his mother) but no matter how Nathan acts she just brushes it aside and still wants to go out with him. I just don't understand his appeal personality-wise (no offense to Kevin McGarry, who is great and is just acting with the material the writers give him). If she wants to go out with him, then fine, it's only fair to give them both a chance but he can't even ask her and it's so frustrating because he does come across as a teenager instead of a grown man like you said! 

Has anyone watched the sneak peek clip for the finale? It basically shows Nathan about to ask Elizabeth out, getting distracted, her giving him another chance to ask, and then him saying, "nevermind, maybe another time." It doesn't seem like he'll get around to asking her at all, then he'll probably be the one to get shot, the season will end on a cliffhanger, and then love triangle will STILL not be resolved. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

Ironically all of the things I'm talking about I think would have contributed to WCTH having a great ending if they had just ended it when DL wanted to leave.  Five years of being there for each other culminating in a wedding and beginning a life together.

Right! This would have been great. They could have built on that family unit via annual movies and created all the scenarios around what a Teacher and Mountie would encounter on a daily bases. Talk about how Elizabeth would want blank and Indian children in her school; the Mountie would have to deal with town bias and hardships. So many great story lines could have easily kept me watching and interested. And the actors are interchangeable but the story of Elizabeth and Jack would just continue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, brighteyes said:

I keep hoping each new episode will give me a reason to root for Nathan since I know she wants to pick him in the end but it's so dang hard! She got mad Lucas for sending her chapters to his mom (yes wrong for him to do without asking and definitely awkward since it's his mother) but no matter how Nathan acts she just brushes it aside and still wants to go out with him. I just don't understand his appeal personality-wise (no offense to Kevin McGarry, who is great and is just acting with the material the writers give him). If she wants to go out with him, then fine, it's only fair to give them both a chance but he can't even ask her and it's so frustrating because he does come across as a teenager instead of a grown man like you said! 

Has anyone watched the sneak peek clip for the finale? It basically shows Nathan about to ask Elizabeth out, getting distracted, her giving him another chance to ask, and then him saying, "nevermind, maybe another time." It doesn't seem like he'll get around to asking her at all, then he'll probably be the one to get shot, the season will end on a cliffhanger, and then love triangle will STILL not be resolved. 

I do not understand how Lucas being amazingly supportive of her, to the point of working to get her book published generates the same anger in her as Nathan literally yelling at her for saving a kid in the storm.  Lucas supports her, Nathan yells at her and ignores and refuses to talk to her and it makes her question if she can trust Lucas?  Shouldn't it make her wonder if Nathan has anger issues or even thinks of her as a friend?

I did watch the sneak peek.  A horse making sounds distracts Nathan from asking her out, like 4 times in one scene.  Ridiculous.  She has told him she would say yes, why can't he string a sentence together?  It's like he doesn't really want to ask her, but everyone expects him to.

Who's shot:

1.  Lucas is shot by someone from his past in a business deal gone wrong.  He dies, triangle over Nathan wins.

2.  Nathan is shot, Elizabeth finally declares her love for him, he remains unconscious, Lucas overhears the declaration of love, leaves Hope Valley.

3.  Ally the annoying niece gets caught in the crossfire, Nathan and Elizabeth finally bond as she recovers.

4.  Henry gets shot by one of his employees or investors, decides to leave town to find Abigail and live happily every after.

5.  Lee's sister who just arrived, gets shot, Lee and Rosemary inherit her children.

6.  No one gets shot, its just a red herring.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

[snip]  Hallmark has a way of making their shows last way too long.  Ironically all of the things I'm talking about I think would have contributed to WCTH having a great ending if they had just ended it when DL wanted to leave.  Five years of being there for each other culminating in a wedding and beginning a life together.

That is the most Hallmark thing I've ever heard.  I just looked it up and black people were 3% of the population of Canada in 2016.  This show is taking place (at least in theory) a hundred years before that, in I think what is now British Columbia, and I'm not Canadian so I don't know the history but apparently Canada had segregation too.  A black child in an early 20th century schoolroom in rural BC should be like, an entire storyline!  Where did she come from?!?  Who is her family?  Did anyone in the community have a problem with her being in school with their children, or are we ignoring racism the same way we are ignoring the gigantic war taking place?  We're just sticking her in the background, presumably so we can point to her and be like, "See!  See!  DIVERSITY!"  WHY HALLMARK, WHYYYYY????

I've already written before about the token POC on this show so won't go into all of it again, but yup - I wish they don't even bother with any POC because it's soooooo insulting how they are merely background fillers instead of actual characters with their own agency/individualism.

1 hour ago, enduringforce said:

Right! This would have been great. They could have built on that family unit via annual movies and created all the scenarios around what a Teacher and Mountie would encounter on a daily bases. Talk about how Elizabeth would want blank and Indian children in her school; the Mountie would have to deal with town bias and hardships. So many great story lines could have easily kept me watching and interested. And the actors are interchangeable but the story of Elizabeth and Jack would just continue.

ITA to the max!  DubStepford & EnduringForce should be writing for this show. Also, if DS left because of the grind of making a weekly tv series, perhaps they could have kept him if WCTH turned into a once in a while special so we can catch up with the denizens of Hope Valley from time to time.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

she gets to stay ...in Hope Valley's cemetery

oh yay, another Hope Valley funeral to end a season on Hallmark's 'happy ever after' channel!

And how the heck can Elizabeth a single mom just go out horseback ridding before school start when she has a baby at home? She is all about having men flock to her, she acts disappointed when Nathan doesn't ask and acts all coy when Lucas does ask. I'm not even sure she sees anything in either men but just enjoys their attention. Not the Elizabeth that Jack loved, that's for sure.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I do not understand how Lucas being amazingly supportive of her, to the point of working to get her book published generates the same anger in her as Nathan literally yelling at her for saving a kid in the storm.  Lucas supports her, Nathan yells at her and ignores and refuses to talk to her and it makes her question if she can trust Lucas?  Shouldn't it make her wonder if Nathan has anger issues or even thinks of her as a friend?

Exactly! In a normal world, Nathan's behavior would be a red flag and make him less attractive. Lucas had a "shady" past which turned out to be him trying to help a friend and then he goes out of his way to be super supportive of her and just went about it in a way that she didn't like (personally I would be thrilled if someone thought that highly of my work). Those are literally the only bad things about him. He's not perfect by any means but he's demonstrated time and again that he's a good guy - for example when he was hesitant subpoena Gowen because he didn't want to hurt anyone. And that was before Elizabeth even got involved in the situation. It just baffles me that she still seems to prefer Nathan when he treats her the way he has. Honestly if Jack were alive he would be furious that anyone spoke with Elizabeth that way. 

1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

1.  Lucas is shot by someone from his past in a business deal gone wrong.  He dies, triangle over Nathan wins.

2.  Nathan is shot, Elizabeth finally declares her love for him, he remains unconscious, Lucas overhears the declaration of love, leaves Hope Valley.

3.  Ally the annoying niece gets caught in the crossfire, Nathan and Elizabeth finally bond as she recovers.

4.  Henry gets shot by one of his employees or investors, decides to leave town to find Abigail and live happily every after.

5.  Lee's sister who just arrived, gets shot, Lee and Rosemary inherit her children.

I think it's either #2 or #6. Or a combination - no one is shot but it makes Elizabeth realize life is short, she declares her love for Nathan, and then Lucas leaves. I'll be so sad if that's the case because if Fiona leaves as well that's 2 of the most interesting characters gone from the show and I'll be the sucker who will continue to watch to the end of the series despite that, haha. 

1 hour ago, enduringforce said:

Maybe Elizabeth will get shot then Lee and Rosemary will finally get a baby (Jack Jr)?

Haha! Maybe Lee's sister will have a child for him and Rosemary to adopt and that's why she comes to visit them. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I did watch the sneak peek.  A horse making sounds distracts Nathan from asking her out, like 4 times in one scene.  Ridiculous.  She has told him she would say yes, why can't he string a sentence together?  It's like he doesn't really want to ask her, but everyone expects him to.

Who's shot:

I just want to keep seeing Kevin McGarry on tv. I 'ship Nathan/Elizabeth because I want to see the oh so pretty couple together, but esp. the pretty that is Kevin.  Sorry - yes, shallow as a kiddie pool, but that's where I'm at!  😉

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I just want to keep seeing Kevin McGarry on tv. I 'ship Nathan/Elizabeth because I want to see the oh so pretty couple together, but esp. the pretty that is Kevin.  Sorry - yes, shallow as a kiddie pool, but that's where I'm at!  😉

I recommend Heartland (if you haven't already watched it).  He shows up in season nine.  And while that show has, like WCTH, gone on for too long, it at least is still charming.  His character is an absolute sweetheart, albeit a bit of a doormat for a woman who doesn't treat him all that well.  Hmm, where have I heard that before?

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I 'ship Nathan/Elizabeth because I want to see the oh so pretty couple together, but esp. the pretty that is Kevin. 

Wow, i don't see that at all. He has a long face and his Mountie uniform does not even fit him well. Elizabeth had so much in Jack that going with Nathan is such a let down. He is a horrible 'father' figure as well with both that horrible niece and the way he talked to that poor kid that wants to be a Mountie. And beside, if Elizabeth chooses him we get even more of that really bad child actor! There are really no good choices here, this show has nothing going for it. I don't even care who gets shot.

2 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

His character is an absolute sweetheart, albeit a bit of a doormat for a woman who doesn't treat him all that well. 

ya, I don't like him in that show either. I never saw what Lou saw in him and he is just so dull even in that show. I guess that's why he was hired for WCTH?

• Love 2

I think the end of the show is that we find out that Lee’s middle name is Harvey and he is the one who shot the mayor from the school book depository...err the library.

Oh and that’s how they can get rid of Abigail once and for all. It’s a win win.

• LOL 4

You've all said it so well. Lucas treats her nice, courts her and supports her. Nathan does nothing but yells at her and treat her like crap. So of course Elizabeth is going to chose Nathan. Like the last episode I kept expecting them to give us a reason to root for Nathan but they don't give us any. He's still mad at her for going out with Lucas. When she points out he asked its like it never even occurred to him that he should ask her out. He's very much like the high school boy who's a jerk to the girl he likes as @scenicbyway correctly pointed out. Either that or the high school jock who shows up and thinks that's all he needs to do to get the girl. He goes to talk to poor Bill because he's still annoyed with her. Bill has to point out that she's a grown woman who can take care of herself. He really didn't seem to thrilled by that. Oh look he told her she did the right thing except he said it and acted like someone who either really didn't mean it or it was killing him to say. I really didn't expect to end up hating Nathan by this point I really expected to find the triangle boring. But they've done a better job giving us a reason why Lucas is a better choice. Yet Elizabeth gets madder at him for sending his mother her chapters then at of Nathan's crappy behavior. He also just seems so bad at everything while not really doing anything else. Lucas has had more to do by trying to figure out what's going on with Henry, investigating it, going to Bill to see what his options are and even though he really didn't want to use the courts to get Henry to open the books but if he had to he was going to. He at least did stuff, he was proactive. Nathan sulks. He's a terrible guardian to the annoying Ally and hasn't really gotten any better, as @enduringforce points out he was terrible to the kid Robert who had an interested in being a Mountie. Good thing he's not a recruiting for them he'd be turning kids away in the droves. That would have been a good way to see him interact with someone else. Show a kid who had interested in his job the ropes, answer questions and stuff. Nope none of that. I can't decide if its the actor or Nathan but he's angry all the time. 

Oh, good another relative we've never heard of. Is she dying and Lee and Rosemary will finally be parents? Or will she somehow end up ruining Rosemary's trip? 

I hope Fiona sticks around too. She's one of the few characters that's still interesting. She seems fun. 

• Love 5

Yeah, Nathan is only mildly attractive to me when he's wearing the Serge.  An even then.... eh.   I'm not all ,"OMG"over Lucas but I think he's the better looking guy.  Nathan's face is too long.

Different strokes.

But it is so clear that is who she is picking.   

I say he gets shot and she declares her love... or he gets shot just as she is going to declare her love and she gets frightened of losing another Mountie and picks Lucas but her heart is really still with Nathan.   And then I will hate her rather than just finding her incredibly dull.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I really didn't expect to end up hating Nathan by this point I really expected to find the triangle boring. But they've done a better job giving us a reason why Lucas is a better choice. Yet Elizabeth gets madder at him for sending his mother her chapters then at of Nathan's crappy behavior. He also just seems so bad at everything while not really doing anything else. 

Agree 100%. I don't want to dislike Nathan but they've made it very difficult for me to see what's so great about him. His actions and attitude have been very off-putting and I don't understand why they've written him this way - you would think the writers would want to make the men equally appealing to make the triangle more suspenseful. And then the fact that Nathan hasn't even done much else than mope around makes me wonder even more why they've made it so uneven, because it's clear they want Elizabeth to end up with him when there's no real substance to their friendship. They have things in common (she likes Mounties, they're both parents), but they have no common interests the way she and Lucas do. It's just so strange how it's all played out. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, brighteyes said:

Agree 100%. I don't want to dislike Nathan but they've made it very difficult for me to see what's so great about him. His actions and attitude have been very off-putting and I don't understand why they've written him this way - you would think the writers would want to make the men equally appealing to make the triangle more suspenseful. And then the fact that Nathan hasn't even done much else than mope around makes me wonder even more why they've made it so uneven, because it's clear they want Elizabeth to end up with him when there's no real substance to their friendship. They have things in common (she likes Mounties, they're both parents), but they have no common interests the way she and Lucas do. It's just so strange how it's all played out. 

I really don't know why they've written him this way either. Even after the episode where Elizabeth goes with Lucas out of town for the weekend most assumed the next episode would be them showing us how great Nathan is and why he's the one for Elizabeth. Due to the preview and it made sense. We've seen Lucas being great and arrange a great date for Elizabeth that next it was Nathan's turn. We'd see him being heroic or something. Nope not at all. He didn't save the day, Elizabeth did by finding Emily on her own while he yelled at her for it. Oh, but also 'cause he was also mad that she dared to go on a date with someone else. Same in this episode after all the build up to him being still angry and her pointing out Lucas asked her. He was still a jerk and still mad at her. He couldn't act like he meant it and not sound angry as he told her she did a great job saving Emily. Why are they going in this direction when they know he's who they want her to pick? Why make him look like a jerk and then keep making him look like a jerk? Their not opposites attracting or even they fight all the time but you can see they love each other. He does nothing and acts like a jerk, she takes it and acts like its no big deal while the other guy is actually courting her and putting an effort into her likes, interests and even going to end up being the one who helps get her book published. Why go that route with the guy you want her to pick?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I really don't know why they've written him this way either. Even after the episode where Elizabeth goes with Lucas out of town for the weekend most assumed the next episode would be them showing us how great Nathan is and why he's the one for Elizabeth. Due to the preview and it made sense. We've seen Lucas being great and arrange a great date for Elizabeth that next it was Nathan's turn. We'd see him being heroic or something. Nope not at all. He didn't save the day, Elizabeth did by finding Emily on her own while he yelled at her for it. Oh, but also 'cause he was also mad that she dared to go on a date with someone else. Same in this episode after all the build up to him being still angry and her pointing out Lucas asked her. He was still a jerk and still mad at her. He couldn't act like he meant it and not sound angry as he told her she did a great job saving Emily. Why are they going in this direction when they know he's who they want her to pick? Why make him look like a jerk and then keep making him look like a jerk? Their not opposites attracting or even they fight all the time but you can see they love each other. He does nothing and acts like a jerk, she takes it and acts like its no big deal while the other guy is actually courting her and putting an effort into her likes, interests and even going to end up being the one who helps get her book published. Why go that route with the guy you want her to pick?

Right! If they want to make the love triangle even a bit believable at least make both guys equally likable! I don't understand why she's supposed to even like Nathan at this point. What even is there to like other than the red serge he wears? It's so confusing because in all the Hallmark movies they put out where the girl and the guy don't get along at first but eventually fall in love, there's always that redeeming quality about the guy that shows he wasn't bad to begin with - he was just hiding his true self. The problem is in this case it's like he was originally great and now you realize he's hiding his bad side - it's completely reversed from what you would expect from a potential suitor for the lead character. At least Jack was still likeable even when he and Elizabeth didn't get along at first. 

In what world would Elizabeth NOT pick Lucas after all the effort he has put into showing her how much he cares? I know this isn't supposed to be like real life but it's a huge suspension of disbelief even for a TV show. 

Edited by brighteyes
  • Love 8

They haven’t given us any connection between Nathan and Elizabeth. Nothing. They don’t talk about anything other than some problem with Allie. He just broods and the stupid town even acts like he has some claim on her. She and Lucas talk about their mutual interests, he shows her that he cares about her - hell, he tells her that he cares about her... JHC this is why some women think that “he’s too nice” is an actual thing that we should be thinking when a man treats us with respect.

Also: it won’t be Nathan who gets shot. If it were Nathan, I don’t think Hallmark would air the episode after this past weekend’s shooting death of an RCMP officer (and many others) in Nova Scotia.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Yeah, Nathan is only mildly attractive to me when he's wearing the Serge.  An even then.... eh.   I'm not all ,"OMG"over Lucas but I think he's the better looking guy.  Nathan's face is too long

It’s funny you all say this. I only find Nathan attractive *out* of uniform! (specifically, when hes chopping wood 🥰)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

You've all said it so well. Lucas treats her nice, courts her and supports her. Nathan does nothing but yells at her and treat her like crap. So of course Elizabeth is going to chose Nathan. Like the last episode I kept expecting them to give us a reason to root for Nathan but they don't give us any. He's still mad at her for going out with Lucas. When she points out he asked its like it never even occurred to him that he should ask her out. He's very much like the high school boy who's a jerk to the girl he likes as @scenicbyway correctly pointed out. Either that or the high school jock who shows up and thinks that's all he needs to do to get the girl. He goes to talk to poor Bill because he's still annoyed with her. Bill has to point out that she's a grown woman who can take care of herself. He really didn't seem to thrilled by that. Oh look he told her she did the right thing except he said it and acted like someone who either really didn't mean it or it was killing him to say. I really didn't expect to end up hating Nathan by this point I really expected to find the triangle boring. But they've done a better job giving us a reason why Lucas is a better choice. Yet Elizabeth gets madder at him for sending his mother her chapters then at of Nathan's crappy behavior. He also just seems so bad at everything while not really doing anything else. Lucas has had more to do by trying to figure out what's going on with Henry, investigating it, going to Bill to see what his options are and even though he really didn't want to use the courts to get Henry to open the books but if he had to he was going to. He at least did stuff, he was proactive. Nathan sulks. He's a terrible guardian to the annoying Ally and hasn't really gotten any better, as @enduringforce points out he was terrible to the kid Robert who had an interested in being a Mountie. Good thing he's not a recruiting for them he'd be turning kids away in the droves. That would have been a good way to see him interact with someone else. Show a kid who had interested in his job the ropes, answer questions and stuff. Nope none of that. I can't decide if its the actor or Nathan but he's angry all the time. 

Oh, good another relative we've never heard of. Is she dying and Lee and Rosemary will finally be parents? Or will she somehow end up ruining Rosemary's trip? 

I hope Fiona sticks around too. She's one of the few characters that's still interesting. She seems fun. 

The only way I’d be okay with Fiona leaving is if she got her own spinoff in a new town. She could be the modern woman shaking up a new town. 

• Love 5

Honestly! They haven’t even done anything really significant with Fiona’s character. Shes always in the background, connecting the main characters. 
altho, if the actress is leaving because she’s bored, I wouldn’t be surprised. 

• Love 2
On 4/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, enduringforce said:

They could have built on that family unit via annual movies and created all the scenarios around what a Teacher and Mountie would encounter on a daily bases.

Actually, they couldn't; Elizabeth would have had to give up teaching the moment she married. Literally no school district during that time would have allowed a married woman to teach, even if her husband was ok with it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Actually, they couldn't; Elizabeth would have had to give up teaching the moment she married. Literally no school district during that time would have allowed a married woman to teach, even if her husband was ok with it.

Right just like a widow with a baby wouldn't have been allowed to be a teacher either but at least we would have had a Happy Ever After for Jack and Elizabeth.

This show was never true to period anyway, so letting Elizabeth be a teacher while married and with a baby is much less egregious then have her traipse off to a hotel leaving her child behind for an overnight stay with a single man, two room or not!

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, izabella said:

Literally no school district during that time would have allowed a married woman to teach, even if her husband was ok with it.

This is true in the general sense by many western and isolated cities like a Hope Valley would be could bend the rules. For example women could vote in local elections in western states long before 1920 when women won the right to vote nationally. 

I would believe that the parents would want and allow Elizabeth to remain a teacher while married more than I would think they would let pass her behavior with two single men in town.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, enduringforce said:

This is true in the general sense by many western and isolated cities like a Hope Valley would be could bend the rules. For example women could vote in local elections in western states long before 1920 when women won the right to vote nationally. 

They could be which I could by some of the bending. Like Elizabeth still teaching after she got married. Western and isolated towns had a hard time getting teachers and keeping teachers. Some parents might still think its wrong but the odds of finding another teacher willing to travel all the way to Hope Valley to be their new teacher with what little pay she'd get? Its harder to be picky when you don't have a lot of people rushing to your area to teacher your kids. Few are going to travel that far and crap pay. Small, isolated and rural towns could only pay so much for a teacher. They had a hard enough time getting judges and sheriffs for their area. In Elizabeth's case she doesn't actually need the money she gets paid. She can easily fall back on her family money. I can see that one being lax and on clothing. Although Hope Valley women seem to have no trouble tracking down dresses and fabric way more nice then they could ever afford or get. Apparently even divorce was a lot easier to get in the west or at least out in the wild west of US since one of my ancestors managed to do that and keep her son. 

The other part of that it would make it little more sense to the show because of the coal accident that happened before the show began. Because so many of the women left were suddenly widows with children to take care of. Its easier to see many of them taking jobs and things they might normally not do but because circumstances had change. One of my ancestors drove his wagon around selling wares to people when he died his widow took over and drove the wagon around selling to people. 

I would believe that the parents would want and allow Elizabeth to remain a teacher while married more than I would think they would let pass her behavior with two single men in town.

It depends. The show's stretching how much the town would allowed. That a young widow would be courted by two men? Maybe. It was still considered safer to remarry for the money and security. Plus there weren't a lot of single women so any time a woman was widowed she suddenly became very popular. Going out of town for a weekend with one of them? That would never happen. At the very least she would have to travel with chaperones. But I still think its very unlikely even in the west.  

• Love 3