Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

When I got married in 1987 my mother and mother-in-law had a discussion about how much things had changed since they had gotten married in the 1950’s.  One of the major differences was that back then no one would have considered writing their own vows.  My mother-in-law chose a bible verse for the minister to read and that was considered a personalized ceremony.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

When I got married in 1987 my mother and mother-in-law had a discussion about how much things had changed since they had gotten married in the 1950’s.  One of the major differences was that back then no one would have considered writing their own vows.  My mother-in-law chose a bible verse for the minister to read and that was considered a personalized ceremony.

Maybe I zoned out, but did Jesse actually recite his vows which he gave to the minister?  I only recall Clara reciting her hand-written vows, not Jesse.

And @ShelleySue thanks for pointing out another anachronism (which I didn't know about).

Sigh...this show!

• Love 1

I still feel like I don't really know Jessie and Clara all that well and I certainly don't care about their wedding enough for it to be an a and a b plot in an episode.

Nice of Lee and Rosemary to give up their anniversary trip, but like at some peoint shouldn't Rosemary get some advantage for being married to a rich guy?   No servents. No big house. No fancy vactions.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, forumfish said:

I think I'm going to start watching the show with the sound muted, paying close attention to baby Jack's expressions as he looks at the others, and make up my own dialogue.

what if Baby Jack isn't there?

(edited)
3 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

what if Baby Jack isn't there?

It’s okay because Baby Jack only has one expression anyway: “who are these people and why am I here?”

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/31/2020 at 1:53 PM, bybrandy said:

I still feel like I don't really know Jessie and Clara all that well and I certainly don't care about their wedding enough for it to be an a and a b plot in an episode.

Nice of Lee and Rosemary to give up their anniversary trip, but like at some peoint shouldn't Rosemary get some advantage for being married to a rich guy?   No servents. No big house. No fancy vactions.

I feel like I really don't either. It was nice to see their wedding but mostly because they've been dating for who knows how many years. Its not the same as watching Jack and Elizabeth or Lee and Rosemary. They built up those couples. They never really built up Jesse and Clara. They've mostly just been hanging around. Also as much as I liked that scene between Clara and Elizabeth, it reminded me they haven't really been that close which you'd think they would be since they both lost their husbands so early in marriage. 

I wish Rosemary got some of the perks too. Has she gotten any real perk? She even gave up the wedding clothes and food to help out during that disaster. 

I liked Clara's wedding dress. But I still wish we would get weddings from the time period. That's part of the fun of watching a show set in the past. 

Elizabeth did a great job decorating the place. 

Still like not hearing from Ally. 

I didn't like Nathan calling it a competition. Its making me like Lucas and Elizabeth better. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't like Nathan calling it a competition. Its making me like Lucas and Elizabeth better. 

I don’t know if it’s the actor or the character, but there’s something about Nathan that I don’t care for. I watched the other show after WCTH and he just came off as dull compared to the other Mountie and every time they showed him in his Mountie uniform, all I could think of was that he looked like Dudley Do-Right. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I feel like I really don't either. It was nice to see their wedding but mostly because they've been dating for who knows how many years. Its not the same as watching Jack and Elizabeth or Lee and Rosemary. They built up those couples. They never really built up Jesse and Clara. They've mostly just been hanging around. Also as much as I liked that scene between Clara and Elizabeth, it reminded me they haven't really been that close which you'd think they would be since they both lost their husbands so early in marriage. 

I've never been invested in the Clara/Jesse relationship for one second. I still don't quite understand how he was redeemed from his shady past. Didn't he take part in a train robbery or something like that (i.e. a violent crime)?

I wish Rosemary got some of the perks too. Has she gotten any real perk? She even gave up the wedding clothes and food to help out during that disaster. 

I liked Clara's wedding dress. But I still wish we would get weddings from the time period. That's part of the fun of watching a show set in the past. 

Elizabeth did a great job decorating the place. 

Still like not hearing from Ally. 

Yeah, that's not a good look. Elizabeth isn't some commodity (prize) to be won. 

3 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I don’t know if it’s the actor or the character, but there’s something about Nathan that I don’t care for. I watched the other show after WCTH and he just came off as dull compared to the other Mountie and every time they showed him in his Mountie uniform, all I could think of was that he looked like Dudley Do-Right. 

Even given what I said about Nathan above, I still prefer him to Lucas pretty much based on physical appearance. Tall, dark and handsome is my catnip. And the contrast between Kevin's dark hair against his blue eyes is aesthetically pleasing. 

As for the acting part, not sure if it's Kevin's choice or the show/directors, but he plays Nathan kind of understated, at somewhat of a distance. Maybe that's the norm for Mounties back then. Goes to what he told Robert - got to be impartial/detached. Anyhoo, that comes across in how Nathan is portrayed.

• Love 2

The whole point of the wedding was for Elizabeth to realize and be told that she’s ready to move on from Jack.  Clara was a young widower too (it’s been 7 years at this point) and having her and Elizabeth tell each other they were ready for new love will hopefully be that catalyst she needs.  It didn’t hurt that she caught the bouquet and had her photo taken with Nathan.  The show hasn’t played up the triangle at all.  She is team Nathan all the way and he comes with a built in babysitter in Ally.  Too bad he’s sooo boring. Ugh.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Rules for Teachers - 1915  https://laulima.hawaii.edu/access/content/user/jjudd/edef290/edef_assignments/standard_HTSB_10_learning_community/assignment_HTSB_10_case_study/learning_resources_case_study/teacherrules.pdf

Can't imagine a school board being pleased with a young teacher taking an overnight trip with a male companion. Things are different in Hope Valley, of course. 🙂 

Thanks for that list! Elizabeth should have lost her job as soon as she got married! Also: who knew that barber shops were so scandalous???

If Lucas hadn’t already won me over at Gave Her A Library, Acquired Tickets for a Sold-Out Reading (for an author he doesn’t even particularly enjoy but he knew Elizabeth did) would have sealed the deal for me. 

Meanwhile, Jesse gave away his stuff and Jack was fussy. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Meanwhile, Jesse gave away his stuff and Jack was fussy. 

Meanwhile Rosemary welcomed Jessie and Clara home from the trip she sacrificed for them only to learn that they were doing the newlywed thing and could have had as much fun in Union City as the City of Angels.    

And Rosemary lends a fancy dress, and cares for a fussy baby, while somebody else gets dressed up to hob nob with a famous person and eat fancy food at a fancy restaurant inside a fancy hotel.  

I was hoping the Lee and Rosemary take would be that they adored Baby Jack and would do literaly anything for him but they were happy to give him back.  But alas no we're headed into another round of Lee and Rosemary look longingly at children and apparently forget that they have close personal friends who run an orphanage.   

I'm sure they'll have a big episode for Nathan next week.  They'll have to because right now he's bringing nothing to the table at all.    

• Love 3

Ah yes, When Calls the Historical Inaccuracy back for another week.

I regret to inform everyone that I found Nathan attractive while he was chopping wood. 😬

Clara and Jesse are so boring. 

I love Lucas’s car. I like him way more than I thought he would. Like he’s put here being kind and thoughtful and Nathan is what? Being boring and glowering over chopped wood. (How sexy.) 

10 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Rules for Teachers - 1915  https://laulima.hawaii.edu/access/content/user/jjudd/edef290/edef_assignments/standard_HTSB_10_learning_community/assignment_HTSB_10_case_study/learning_resources_case_study/teacherrules.pdf

Can't imagine a school board being pleased with a young teacher taking an overnight trip with a male companion. Things are different in Hope Valley, of course. 🙂 

Right!? and also WHERE 👏🏾 IS 👏🏾 THIER 👏🏾 CHAPERONE 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

• Love 4
3 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Ah yes, When Calls the Historical Inaccuracy back for another week.

I regret to inform everyone that I found Nathan attractive while he was chopping wood. 😬

Clara and Jesse are so boring. 

I love Lucas’s car. I like him way more than I thought he would. Like he’s put here being kind and thoughtful and Nathan is what? Being boring and glowering over chopped wood. (How sexy.) 

Right!? and also WHERE 👏🏾 IS 👏🏾 THIER 👏🏾 CHAPERONE 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Chaperone?  We don't need no chaperone - this is stinkin' Hope Valley, ya'll!

Yeah, Nathan/Kevin looked esp. attractive in his civvies. The red in red serge is just soooo eye-popping though, so I waver back and forth whether the actor/character looks better in uniform or civilian clothes. I'm so glad Nathan didn't give Elizabeth the 3rd degree or any kind of questioning about her overnight trip with Lucas, since that would've been none of his business. Welcome her back, then move along.

ITA re: Clara and Jesse. I'm glad she recognized that he didn't feel like her home was his, so worked to make him feel welcome, but frankly, I was kinda bored with this story.

Just one point of correction to the above post: the car actually belonged to Henry. Lucas borrowed it when he was asking why Henry didn't give the monthly check he normally does. Speaking of Henry...oh boy, I hope they don't bring back Shady Henry who steals money. For sure we haven't heard the last about possible money troubles, or Henry's health issue.

• Love 2

I've given up on historical accuracy on this show - that way if anything is actually correct I'll be pleasantly surprised. Low expectations! 😂

I loved this episode, mainly because I'm team Lucas and have been hoping they'd finally go on a date, even if she didn't want to call it one! After he went out of his way to get tickets to something he knew she would love, how could you not root for him? Haha. He's made it very clear that he's interested in her and after the episode I think she's finally accepted the fact that both men want to pursue her. 

I agree with everyone about Nathan and the wood chopping - I think I like his character better in civilian clothes, definitely more attractive on him! (Jack however could pull off both looks and looked  great either way!) Anyway while I felt a bit bad for him this episode I'm sure something will happen next week during the storm that will bring him and Elizabeth together. I really think he needs to make a move and ask her out if he even wants a chance - she's certainly not going to ask first! 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bybrandy said:

At what point does baby or little Jack get to be just Jack?  

I'm not sure if it was the convention in this time period to call someone Junior, but the show is already replete with inaccuracies so might as well call him that, or, call him JJ. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Right!? and also WHERE 👏🏾 IS 👏🏾 THIER 👏🏾 CHAPERONE 

I asked the same thing! She's from an upper-class wealthy background! Of course they would have had a chaperone! Unless the rules are different because she's a missus? 

Then again, why quibble over chaperones when Lucas shouldn't even have been there to take her to the reading in the first place because he should have been knee-deep in the mud in France???

Speaking of: I said Ty Cobb as soon as Bill asked Detroit fan Nathan who his favorite player was. Here's some interesting info about Ty Cobb and the war that doesn't exist in Hope Valley's awareness: 

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2011/05/30/when-ty-cobb-went-off-to-war/

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2

I prefer Lucas over Nathan in terms of the actors and characters, but Lucas and Elizabeth are just painful to watch this season.  I was cringing so hard during some of their scenes last night.  Maybe it’s  just that Erin Krakow is doing a good job of playing “woman who feels conflicted about dating again.”  I don’t know.  

I really hated how the town was walking on eggshells regarding Elizabeth and Lucas leaving together. It almost felt like the town wants her with the local Mountie since she was married to the previous one. I hope that they don’t guilt her into being with Nathan if it appears she prefers Lucas. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I really hated how the town was walking on eggshells regarding Elizabeth and Lucas leaving together. It almost felt like the town wants her with the local Mountie since she was married to the previous one. I hope that they don’t guilt her into being with Nathan if it appears she prefers Lucas. 

I didn't see it as the town preferring Nathan to Lucas. The way I saw it, the townfolk just didn't want to get caught in the middle. I think overall, both Nathan and Lucas are well regarded by the folks of Hope Valley, so felt uncomfortable with the situation (knowing Elizabeth was having an overnight with Lucas, while knowing the Nathan prolly didn't know about it).

11 hours ago, forumfish said:

Not only would it have been scandalous for Elizabeth and Lucas to take an unchaperoned overnight trip together, I imagine that an evening with Virginia Woolf wasn't considered wholesome entertainment.

I laughed at the prominent "Family Dentist" sign on a building in town -- have we ever heard of a dentist in Hope Valley? When Carson and Faith talked about her leaving for med school, you'd have thought we'd have had a throwaway line about there being another medical professional in town.

I'm still Team Lucas (if I have to pick sides), but the actor who plays Nathan reminds me of Chris Isaak, so it's all good.

Re: Virginia Woolf...wasn't she considered a scandalous author during her time period? Weren't her works considered too avant garde?

And yeah, that dentist sign had me chuckling too. Was it customary for a town as small as Hope Valley to have a doctor AND a dentist?  [And when/if Faith returns, that makes it another medical professional]. 

I just thought of something I wanted to post but forgot until just now. Color me speechless when someone who used to be on the show was mentioned. We got a Pastor Frank shoutout (re: Jesse's chair). We know the "real world" reason why Abigail won't ever get mentioned on this show, but in-universe, it's just so crazy that besides that hastily re-worked episode where Elizabeth narrates that Abigail went to care for a sick aunt(?) that we'll never hear about the town's freaking MAYOR again?!?!  Did Hope Valley forget that Abigail is the current mayor? I'm not sure how they'll get around any future municipal issues without ever mentioning Abigail's name or position.  [And yet the name "Abigail's Cafe" remains on the sign].

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 11:58 PM, sharifa70 said:

Thanks for that list! Elizabeth should have lost her job as soon as she got married! Also: who knew that barber shops were so scandalous???

She would actually have lost it way sooner than that - Elizabeth and Jack were quite obviously "keeping company" for years, as was known by everyone in town.

Re: barber shops - I think that's because they were social hubs for men (think Floyd's on Andy Griffith). So it would have been considered improper for a woman to hang out in such a place.

Re; overnight trips - Erin Krakow addressed it on Twitter. IMO she's looking at it from a 21st century perspective, because the whole point is that no one would know if they were sleeping separately or not. Back then, the whole thing was about appearances.

Annotation 2020-04-07 182221.jpg

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Re; overnight trips - Erin Krakow addressed it on Twitter. IMO she's looking at it from a 21st century perspective,

This is what has made this show so sad. Season 1 was true to Period, then it started to get worse and worse. It really is just modern folks cosplaying 1917. There would be no way a widow would leave her child crying and upset to go off with a man on an overnight trip. Erin has become the new LL, and now it's all about her, she is the last one standing.

Edited by enduringforce
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Re: barber shops - I think that's because they were social hubs for men (think Floyd's on Andy Griffith). So it would have been considered improper for a woman to hang out in such a place.

The rules for teachers from the link (shared by mollymelrose) actually prohibits male teachers from getting shaved in a barber shop. That’s the scandalous part I wondered about. 

9 hours ago, norcalgal said:

We know the "real world" reason why Abigail won't ever get mentioned on this show, but in-universe, it's just so crazy that besides that hastily re-worked episode where Elizabeth narrates that Abigail went to care for a sick aunt(?) that we'll never hear about the town's freaking MAYOR again?!?!  Did Hope Valley forget that Abigail is the current mayor? I'm not sure how they'll get around any future municipal issues without ever mentioning Abigail's name or position.  [And yet the name "Abigail's Cafe" remains on the sign].

We’re talking about a show that pretends the world outside of Hope Valley in 1917 consists entirely of baseball and “movie stars.” Why bother with Abigail continuity? We don’t need no stinking continuity!

I was going to scoff at 1917 “movie stars” until I pulled up some info about the year in film. It was actually a year of some pretty significant individual debuts and films even I’ve heard of (I’ve even seen a couple). Weirdly enough, I had to get past about 9 million references to the film 1917 that is all about the actual freaking war before I got to the film history links... Hallmark writers don’t Google, y’all.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, enduringforce said:

There would be no way a widow would leave her child crying and upset to go off with a man on an overnight trip

I mean the overnight trip thing is unlikely but in 1917 women knew that sometimes you had to leave a baby who was crying to get out of the house.  I guarantee Elizabeth's mom left her crying with the nanny once or twice and maybe to go to Europe with her husband.

And while I agree about this being cosplay and bad cosplay at that I will say that my great-grandparents  were both school teachers when they met.  My great-grandather got sick and they moved to her home town where she had family in the medical profession.   Unfortunately he died the day before his son was born.   My great-grandmother was an widow with a newborn son in 1914.  She returned to teaching and taught until her mid 60s.   So she was a working mom.  And probably she left him crying some days when she went off to do it... 

She didn't, however go away fro the weekend with handsome young men.  She never remarried.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

ZZZzzzzzz, this latest episode was bo-ring!  Do we really think Lee will die?  C'mon - this isn't even riveting drama.

I'm glad Elizabeth stood up for herself with Nathan when his injured pride had him lashing out at her. Glad she pointed out that she was the one who actually found Emily, and frankly, his help really wasn't needed.

What I'm curious about is this new development of manufactured bad blood between Elizabeth and Nathan? Do the producers:

A) want the audience to think this means the path is clear for Elizabeth and Lucas?  Or,

B) this is a fakeout, wherein the producers show the tension between Nathan and Elizabeth so the audience thinks Lucas and Elizabeth will be Endgame but they truly mean Elizabeth to end up with Nathan? Or,

C) feel the audience will go with scenario B, when they had no hidden motives, and were sincere about scenario A?

Man, writing all that out makes me think of that Friends episode where Rachel & Phoebe find out about Monica & Chandler and each duo fake out the other with the mindgames. "They don't know that we know that they know. You know?"

• Love 4

My eyes hurt from all the rolling they did in this episode. I ended up watching most of it on fast-forward because drahhhhhma!

If (god forbid) Elizabeth and Nathan are the endgame, for the love of all that’s holy send Allie to live with grandpa. Or send all three of them away to take care of Abigail’s sick aunt! Anything to spare us from the know-it-all angsty child!

And....cue Hope Valley Vigil!

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 2
26 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

A) want the audience to think this means the path is clear for Elizabeth and Lucas?  Or,

B) this is a fakeout, wherein the producers show the tension between Nathan and Elizabeth so the audience thinks Lucas and Elizabeth will be Endgame but they truly mean Elizabeth to end up with Nathan? Or,

C) feel the audience will go with scenario B, when they had no hidden motives, and were sincere about scenario A?

I'm definitely leaning towards scenario B, especially after the preview - it seems like Lucas will upset Elizabeth by sending her book to his mom without her permission, thus causing a rift because he finally did something wrong, and then Nathan and Elizabeth will have a talk where she tells him to essentially make a move like Lucas did, and then by the end of the episode Nathan will come ask her out. It's all so predictable! Just like Lee's fate - we know he'll end up being fine in the end! The only unexpected thing that ever happened on this show was Jack's death, and they're definitely not going to kill another main character off. 

I went into this episode knowing it would be more Nathan heavy, and even though I've been rooting for Lucas I went in with an open mind thinking Nathan would finally prove himself by saving Elizabeth and the students from the storm and getting into her good graces. Instead she saved Emily herself (go Elizabeth!) and then he argued with her about it because he was still hurt that she went out with Lucas. He's was so cold towards her this episode, I really don't see how she would ever like him after this especially when you compare him to a guy who gives her a personalized book by her favorite author and went to seek her out to be with her best friends in their time of need. 

• Love 3

Nathan is such a terrible man. Not sorry, like she saved Emily herself. Not all women need to be saved by you. Take a step back, dude. She’s protecting her students. 

I’m more and more convinced that Laura, Elizabeth’s babysitter, has a relation in Olivia Benson’s super sitter, Lucy! (also Laura is the only one who uses people’s titles “Mr. Coulter”, “Mrs. Coulter”, ect and it’s striking against everyone else’s flagrant uses of Christian names 😉)

Lee’s not gonna die. I hate when TV shows try this. It’s drama for the sake of drama. Let the Coulters go on their trip. 
(if i’m wrong ill be genuinely shocked but come on.) 

i was distracted for most of this episode with Elizabeth’s beret! They weren’t real popular til into the 1920s, and they’re military wear so if she is wearing one, it wouldn’t be white. But I couldn’t figure out what she’d be wearing instead. That’s a research hole for another night (but her whole field trip was terrible. That coat!) 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

i was distracted for most of this episode with Elizabeth’s beret! They weren’t real popular til into the 1920s, and they’re military wear so if she is wearing one, it wouldn’t be white. But I couldn’t figure out what she’d be wearing instead. That’s a research hole for another night (but her whole field trip was terrible. That coat!) 

Not gonna lie, I was expecting more anachronistic fun, but I found this photo (dated 1918) of a lady in a tam o’shanter: 

tam-dtr-circa1918-head.jpg

It’s not exactly what Elizabeth was wearing, but I might yield the points to the show this one time.

• Love 2

I’d say it’s B.  

I prefer Lucas and Elizabeth together and honestly, he’s the only one actually trying to woo her.  Nathan thinks he can just get away with smiling at her from a distance.  

Unfortunately, the way the story is being written is that even when Lucas is around (with the exception of their date) Elizabeth is always looking past him for Nathan.  I guess she likes being treated poorly instead of well? He’s been a total ass to her other than giving her flowers (which was only done because everyone suggested it).

I don’t really get where they take the story if she ends up with another Mountie.  Does anyone want to watch Elizabeth, Nathan, Ally and Jack sitting around the table?  It just seems so boring especially since he seems so volital.

With 2 episodes left I think someone must make a move to kiss someone and I can’t see them letting her kiss someone she won’t marry because the show is so chaste.

• Love 5

I think their still going with Elizabeth and Nathan too. But their not doing themselves any favors by making Nathan such a jerk. Why are we suppose to be rooting for him? He doesn't do anything. He's all mad that she went with Lucas but as she points out in the preview of the next episode Lucas asked. Lucas brought her flowers. Lucas is interested in her writing, he asks her about it, she shows it to him and he gives her opinion. He planned a weekend that he knew what Elizabeth would like. What does Nathan talk to Elizabeth about? What does he do? He stares at her a lot and they mostly talk about Ally.  She finds Emily and he yells at her. What is there to like? What is there not to like about Lucas? 

I'm not worried about Lee either. I'm more worried about how Rosemary's going to miss out on that great trip Lee planned for them. I'll be more shocked if it happens. 

Any guesses on what's going on with Henry? Is he going back to his old ways? Is it something else. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Not gonna lie, I was expecting more anachronistic fun, but I found this photo (dated 1918) of a lady in a tam o’shanter: 

It’s not exactly what Elizabeth was wearing, but I might yield the points to the show this one time.

Fine. Show wins this time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Rough being kid sitting on the wrong side of Elizabeth's classroom. No field trip for you!

Apparently they already had their field trip last week.   Since this is the first time Carson substituted I wonder if the other half of the class got a free day?  And if so, still to your point rough being a kid on that side of the classroom.   

If they want me to root for Nathan having him scowl because his feelings are hurt in a genuine emergency is not how they should be going about it.

Obviously I don't think Lee is going to die (although I probably would watch Rosemary try to run the mill) but somehow this is going to ruin their vacation plans.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Apparently they already had their field trip last week.   Since this is the first time Carson substituted I wonder if the other half of the class got a free day?  And if so, still to your point rough being a kid on that side of the classroom.   

[snip]

Yeah, WCTH insults their audience thinking we didn't catch both points - that this was Carson's first time substituting, and that the other side (full of the "spare" kids who almost never get speaking lines) already had their field trip.  I guess we're supposed to assume someone else was the sub for this group (maybe Florence?). 

15 hours ago, brighteyes said:

I'm definitely leaning towards scenario B, especially after the preview - it seems like Lucas will upset Elizabeth by sending her book to his mom without her permission, thus causing a rift because he finally did something wrong, and then Nathan and Elizabeth will have a talk where she tells him to essentially make a move like Lucas did, and then by the end of the episode Nathan will come ask her out. It's all so predictable! Just like Lee's fate - we know he'll end up being fine in the end! The only unexpected thing that ever happened on this show was Jack's death, and they're definitely not going to kill another main character off. 

[snip]

Don't worry - Elizabeth will be upset with Lucas for 2.2 seconds but it will all come out fine since of course her book will be published (is Elizabeth a thinly veiled Mary Sue of Janette Oak, who wrote the novels this show is based on?).

And show had no choice but to kill Jack. They married Jack & Elizabeth so it would be hard to explain why a husband was NEVER around.  They could have said Jack was constantly "on assignment" to Union City, or Cape Fullerton or wherever but it would start to become ridiculous that Jack's never on the show (mentioned perhaps, but never seen). Better they just kill off the character.  [As it is, I think it's crazy in-universe that the town *mayor* AND namesake of Abigail's Cafe is never mentioned anymore].

14 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

To my eye, what Elizabeth wore still looked like a beret rather than a tam o'shanter.   🤷🏼‍♀️

13 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I’d say it’s B.  

I prefer Lucas and Elizabeth together and honestly, he’s the only one actually trying to woo her.  Nathan thinks he can just get away with smiling at her from a distance.  

Unfortunately, the way the story is being written is that even when Lucas is around (with the exception of their date) Elizabeth is always looking past him for Nathan.  I guess she likes being treated poorly instead of well? He’s been a total ass to her other than giving her flowers (which was only done because everyone suggested it).

[snip]

Gooood point. I guess until you pointed this out, I never really noticed it. Now I would like to see Elizabeth go on date with Nathan just to see if the reverse is true.

12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I think their still going with Elizabeth and Nathan too. But their not doing themselves any favors by making Nathan such a jerk. Why are we suppose to be rooting for him? He doesn't do anything. He's all mad that she went with Nathan but as she points out in the preview of the next episode Lucas asked. Lucas brought her flowers. Lucas is interested in her writing, he asks her about it, she shows it to him and he gives her opinion. He planned a weekend that he knew what Elizabeth would like. What does Nathan talk to Elizabeth about? What does he do? He stares at her a lot and they mostly talk about Ally.  She finds Emily and he yells at her. What is there to like? What is there not to like about Lucas? 

[snip]

My fellow Hearties (if we watch this show and write posts about it, I guess that makes us Hearties) have written eloquently about how Lucas time and again is seen making an effort to woo Elizabeth, while Nathan is passive, verging on jerk behavior. I'm wondering if the writers are starting to let real life behavior model the um, courtship(?) between Nathan and Elizabeth. Specifically, how many of us know girls/women who tend to get drawn to the moody "bad boy"? The sweet, nice guy is friend-zoned but the edgy guy is catnip. The thing is:  if my hypothesis is correct, it's HILARIOUS that the freakin' Mountie is the broody bad boy, while the saloon owner who came into town as the shady guy is now the squeaky clean one! Too, too weird/funny!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I will put out a third scenario. She doesn’t pick either of them but a new character is introduced who sweeps her off her feet leaving the other two bamboozled. 

All the marketing has been spent on this love triangle and they’ve spent 2 seasons with these 3.  I don’t see her choosing someone totally new at this point.  Baby Jack will soon be little Jack and in need of a younger sibling.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Obviously I don't think Lee is going to die (although I probably would watch Rosemary try to run the mill) but somehow this is going to ruin their vacation plans.  

Oooooh, Lee doesn’t have to die for this to happen! Maybe he’ll be in a coma or laid up with some kind of “permanent” injury that will be miraculously healed during the next Christmas episode! 

Rosemary running the mill would be freaking amazing

ETA: This show is making me neurotic. I woke up today (Tuesday) thinking about something else: Is the ultimate cruise goal New York? If it is, then Chile, Rio, and the Cape are completely unnecessary at this point. The Panama Canal had opened very recently (in 1914) and surely would have still been a novel trip. But maybe in HallmarkWorld, only baseball and movie stars exist outside of the Hope Valley bubble?

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I will put out a third scenario. She doesn’t pick either of them but a new character is introduced who sweeps her off her feet leaving the other two bamboozled

Or 4th - she pulls a 'Kelly Taylor' and tells them both "I choose me"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Or 4th - she pulls a 'Kelly Taylor' and tells them both "I choose me"

But as someone on Team Dylan (I never bought him with Brenda), I don't want Elizabeth to choose herself.  😜

On 4/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, lookeyloo said:

I will put out a third scenario. She doesn’t pick either of them but a new character is introduced who sweeps her off her feet leaving the other two bamboozled. 

I'm not watching but I'm following along via this thread because I'm a masochist apparently and I want to know how this hot mess ends. 

There are TONS of parallels between WCtH and Downton Abbey -- so much so that I think it's borderline plagiarism.  The great love who dies in a freak accident, the letter left behind that she reads after he's gone that makes her cry and tells her how perfect she is, the two rival suitors who pop up immediately(ish) following her husband's death, the scandalous weekend (in DA it was actually scandalous, Hallmark would never go there, but by 1917 standards it still wasn't acceptable to travel as an unmarried couple).  So, if we're following this same logic, it could be that she ends up with a third guy who pops up next season, if they do a next season, as Lady Mary did.

(Please don't do a next season Hallmark.  I'm not even watching and I'm getting embarrassed for you.  Put her with Jackass Nathan as we all know you're going to because she's a badge (serge?) bunny, have the Christmas special be her getting married and announcing another pregnancy and maybe they move up north together, Lee coming home, Rosemary finding out she's pregnant too, and just end it there.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

There are TONS of parallels between WCtH and Downton Abbey

The whole reason why I used to watch Hallmark was that it always had a happy ending. What they did by killing Jack (and we did now know the actor wanted to leave like the folks watching Downton Abbey knew) still gets me angry. I used to excuse Hallmark's lack of diversity, realism, and lousy acting because of the Happy endings. The only reason WCTH actually got my attention was Jack and Elizabeth's story. Now there is nothing compelling; everything is contrived just as it has always been but without the reason to watch, which was J&E.

1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

she's a badge (serge?) bunny

Too funny! Yes, some women are drawn to the uniform.

Edited by enduringforce
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

There are TONS of parallels between WCtH and Downton Abbey -- so much so that I think it's borderline plagiarism.  The great love who dies in a freak accident, the letter left behind that she reads after he's gone that makes her cry and tells her how perfect she is, the two rival suitors who pop up immediately(ish) following her husband's death, the scandalous weekend (in DA it was actually scandalous, Hallmark would never go there, but by 1917 standards it still wasn't acceptable to travel as an unmarried couple).  So, if we're following this same logic, it could be that she ends up with a third guy who pops up next season, if they do a next season, as Lady Mary did.

I'm watching DA right now and you're right, and DA is clearly the superior show. (Mary's sexcapade is literally iconic.) On WCTH it's kind of a caricature of things. It's like they only want the historical settings and rules when it suits them and lately they never have!  Like I realize that looking back on history now is largely looking back with rose coloured glasses but this show doesn't even try that hard, honestly. It's so bad and boring. 

Why would I watch When Calls the Heart if Downton Abbey is right here and also better? 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, enduringforce said:

[snip]

Too funny! Yes, some women are drawn to the uniform.

Well, I've mentioned before that the red serge is definitely eye-catching!  It's just such a deep red and stands out quite well, IMHO.  Except of course, if you're trying to be stealthy or blend in. 

5 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I'm not watching but I'm following along via this thread because I'm a masochist apparently and I want to know how this hot mess ends. 

(Please don't do a next season Hallmark.  I'm not even watching and I'm getting embarrassed for you.  Put her with Jackass Nathan as we all know you're going to because she's a badge (serge?) bunny, have the Christmas special be her getting married and announcing another pregnancy and maybe they move up north together, Lee coming home, Rosemary finding out she's pregnant too, and just end it there.)

Good catch on the parallels to DA. That's a show that went past its prime. WCTH has already jumped the shark, but in seriousness, does anyone know if it will return next season?

1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

but in seriousness, does anyone know if it will return next season?

IMHO It's on the Hallmark channel and it's still their leading series even though the ratings are down this year, they still match or beat what Good Witch brings in so I would think they would keep it going until the bitter end.

Many people, watch this channel for reasons other than it having good quality shows. Some fans of WCTH even think Jesus wants them to watch this show (look it up on Twitter), so as bad as this show has become with it's story lines, bad acting and total disregard to the period in which the show is taking place, I think Hallmark will continue to keep it in the line up. 

I liked that Downton actually tried to follow the costuming and societal expectations of the time.  While it was fictional, I learned what it was like for those types of families back then. The Pamuk storyline was inspired by a real incident.  Mary got herself into trouble a couple of times.  Actually all the sisters exhibited what would be “scandalous“ behavior back then. They were all about appearances, but WCTH never talks about that stuff. The closest was the stuff with Elizabeth and her family in season two.

Downton would’ve touched on the trip with Lucas possibly ruining Elizabeth’s reputation. This show never pays an ounce of attention to historical accuracies.  I think it’s because they’d rather make the show on the cheap and it shows. Hallmark has built their little set and that’s it.  Any changes appear to just be updates of what’s already there. Lee and Rosemary would never be living in mining homes. I could be wrong, but they’d have a fancy home with at least a couple of employees. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 5