Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Daniel Lissing has a small role in last week’s episode of The Rookie

Yes, it's good to see he is getting more diverse roles. I do watch The Rookie, and I thought he played his part well. It's a multi-episode spot, so that's good. I do feel he is really trying to break out of the Hallmark image, and that is fine. 

I do think that WCTH should have recast the role of Jack instead of having Elizabeth on the prowl for a new man with a baby in tow. A baby that will never know his father and a mother is so eager to forget and is so shallow as to flirt with multiple men. The whole feel of the show is different now, and I guess that's what they want. Just too sad for me to watch.

Edited by enduringforce
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, enduringforce said:

I do think that WCTH should have recast the role of Jack instead of having Elizabeth on the prowl for a new man with a baby in tow.

Yes, the show is in perpetual change now. The producers are trying to 'recapture' what Elizabeth and Jack had without any emotional buy-in. The only reason I watched the show for as long as I did was Jack and Elizabeth. It was like I was watching something really, really fake, and I knew it, but the Jack and Elizabeth storyline was compelling enough for me to give a pass to the ridiculousness. Then they killed Jack to make Elizabeth in a perpetual 'love triangle,' but now I don't care. Now Elizabeth is part of the fakeness, walking around with a baby prop, and it makes the show unwatchable for me.

• Love 5
On 12/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, enduringforce said:

Yes, it's good to see he is getting more diverse roles. I do watch The Rookie, and I thought he played his part well. It's a multi-episode spot, so that's good. I do feel he is really trying to break out of the Hallmark image, and that is fine. 

I do think that WCTH should have recast the role of Jack instead of having Elizabeth on the prowl for a new man with a baby in tow. A baby that will never know his father and a mother is so eager to forget and is so shallow as to flirt with multiple men. The whole feel of the show is different now, and I guess that's what they want. Just too sad for me to watch.

Even with all the anachronism, I still watch this show. I liked Jack & Elizabeth as a couple just fine. Although I did sense chemistry between the two characters, IMO, there's more chemistry between Elizabeth and Nathan (the new Mountie). I really like the actor Kevin McGarry even though his character needs more fleshing out. I sense more "zing" between Nathan and Elizabeth than between her and the saloon owner. 

I acknowledge that many on this forum prefer the saloon owner because he's got more edge/mystery to him, but I get the feeling the show will ignore all that (setup last season) and whitewash his character. So if they had kept him ambiguous, I would 'ship him and Elizabeth, but as I said, I just sense more chemistry between the Mountie and Elizabeth.

However, I just wish they hadn't made the Nathan character a Mountie since that seems to just be a retread of Elizabeth/Jack. I wish they had switched the characters the two actors (Kevin & Chris) play on this show. 

Lastly, if you saw the Christmas special that aired yesterday, I think the show is strongly hinting that Elizabeth favors Nathan - even though an ad for the upcoming season showed her caught between the two men, trying to decide who to go towards. Watching this Christmas episode, it seemed to me that Elizabeth was acting more towards Nathan in the manner of a woman trying to navigate a potential romance.  With the saloon owner (sorry, can't remember his name), her interactions with him seemed friendly, but not fraught with romantic tension. YMMV...but that's my take!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I never shipped Elizabeth and Jack so the show is fine for me, better for the lack of Cody.   And since I'm being mean about children I will say that when the neice was doing her solo I was thinking her uncle couldn't move to a bigger town because she'd never get a solo in a bigger choir.   

I need Lee and Rosemary to adopt, to get over it and find some other project to focus on or to get pregnant (in that order of preference) because while I feel for Rosemary and Lee, I don't need another season of them looking sad when children turn up.   

• Love 9

Same here. I was mostly bored through the recent Christmas episode. Oh look Lee and Rosemary with the same problem. Let's see Rosemary sad and/or hurt every time baby is mentioned and I already knew nothing would happen in this episode. Because it never has. Lee and Rosemary have been married how many years? They have no kids, a possible infertility problem and nothing happens despite Lee being rich enough to adopt and they even met sisters who ran an orphanage. Rosemary will just have a sad face and that's it.  Its the same every time Jesse and Clara are on the screen. How long have they been together? Why aren't they married yet? Their sad about not being able to spend time together but neither one thinks why don't we get married? You knew it wouldn't  happen because it hasn't happened in how many episodes. Why hasn't it happened? I don't really care about Faith and Carson because well look at the other couples. Are they going to be different? Are they going to be married before Jesse and Clara? Will they have a kid before Lee and Rosemary? Will baby Jack turn eighteen before anything happens? Its the same with the rest of the characters. Nothing happens. They don't do anything. They don't move any story forward. I was bored through the whole Christmas episode for that reason.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Its the same with the rest of the characters. Nothing happens. They don't do anything. They don't move any story forward. I was bored through the whole Christmas episode for that reason.

I think this show is forcing relationships when no chemistry or history or build up exists. Then all the other characters just seem to flounder about. 

I just saw the Christmas day episode ratings and it's the lowest watched WCTH show in 4 years. 

image.thumb.png.bc0fc6a7eecf9565ff18e760e9d27efb.png

Edited by enduringforce
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, enduringforce said:

I think this show is forcing relationships when no chemistry or history or build up exists. Then all the other characters just seem to flounder about. 

I'm not watching but I'm curious what they did with Abigail's cafe? Elizabeth and Abigail were best friends, and many scenes set in the cafe, with Lori gone did they recast Abigail or did she go the way of Rip (the cool little dog) and just disappeared to never be mentioned again?

5 minutes ago, free2think said:

I'm not watching but I'm curious what they did with Abigail's cafe? Elizabeth and Abigail were best friends, and many scenes set in the cafe, with Lori gone did they recast Abigail or did she go the way of Rip (the cool little dog) and just disappeared to never be mentioned again?

Bill's running it. 

• Useful 1

And the cafe now appears to be referred to as "the cafe". I wonder if there is a sign above it with this name? 

I am being mean now, but the niece could use some braces. Really happy Cody has not reappeared. 

Why aren't these men interested in the cute telephone operator? She is pretty and smart. Instead, they all fight over saintly Elizabeth who also has a tiny child.

Carson and Faith are Dull with a capital D. Zero interest in them. Way too white bread.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, free2think said:

Aren’t Abigail (and Cody) “back east” caring for a sick relative? Or something like that...

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

And the cafe now appears to be referred to as "the cafe". I wonder if there is a sign above it with this name? 

I am being mean now, but the niece could use some braces. Really happy Cody has not reappeared. 

Why aren't these men interested in the cute telephone operator? She is pretty and smart. Instead, they all fight over saintly Elizabeth who also has a tiny child.

Carson and Faith are Dull with a capital D. Zero interest in them. Way too white bread.

Yes, in the Christmas episode, the name "Abigail's Cafe" appears on the sign hanging outside the cafe.

If by niece you mean Nathan (the Mountie's) niece, it's not so much her physical appearance I have an issue with (which would be mean of me), but her acting is terrible!  I'd take Cody back over this child actor who has no charisma, no nuance, no nothing. Her "acting" in the Xmas episode was particularly painful - esp. the scenes of the kids doing their choir singing.

ITA re: telephone operator. She's my favorite female character on this show. I don't know why she can't get any appreciative male attention. I think they may have dropped the story about her only being in town long enough to get the phone up and running and then go back home (whereever that is). I hope she becomes a series regular or at least semi-regular like Carson. I 'ship her with the saloon owner. I think their personalities would mesh well.

Speaking of Carson, yes he and Faith are Dullsville together. I guess I should be careful what I wish for because I 'shipped these two when Carson first appeared in Hope Valley, but the way their coming together was written (and has since been written with them as a twosome) is BO-ring!  Also, there's just no spark between the two actors.

On a side track:  I think I saw a headline somewhere that said Paul Greene (aka Carson) remains on Lori Loughlin's side no matter what. If true, I've lost respect for PG. When the evidence against LL is overwhelming, I can't believe he could still be loyal to her given the highly immoral and illegal stuff she pulled. And I don't believe she did it "for the kids". Rather, she would be embarrassed if her kids didn't attend college so I think she did it for herself so other people wouldn't judge her via her kids.

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 7

I don't quite know how I feel about the Christmas special.  I really like both the new actors, but I definitely prefer Nathan (both the actor and the character). I could see Elizabeth being drawn to him, but also feeling afraid to fall for another mountie because of the danger he faces in his job.  The saloon owner doesn't have that dangerous life, so he's safer for that reason, but I can't really see her falling for his bad-boy thing.  He also seems a lot more pushy, and therefore a little creepy to me.

I liked Elizabeth and Jack, but I was never 100% on them, probably because Daniel Lissing never seemed completely invested somehow.  I just never felt like he had great chemistry with Erin.  I think Kevin McGarry is really great at making it seem like he really cares about his female lead. He's been great in every movie I've seen him in, and in Heartland, too.  I love that show even more than WCTH, so I've been glad he's still on it while doing WCTH.

They just need to go ahead and rename Abigail's Cafe and be done with it.  I didn't miss Abigail at all in the special.

I feel bad saying this, but even Baby Jack is less cute. The christmas episode true was boring. The show has suck since The Firing of Lori. Not that I was a huge Abigail fan, but when everything became disjointed when they took it off the air. 

• Love 4

And the woman with the two children Carson borrowed the horses and buggy from.  She was allegedly having her own problems, yet she had highlighted hair and makeup and she and the children looked healthy and well fed.  No one in that town is ever dirty, smudged, disheveled, cold, etc.  And did they have lip gloss back then?  I realize this is Hallmark, but, still, in addition to boring plot and one dimensional characters, so unreal as to be unbelievable.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I think Kevin McGarry is really great at making it seem like he really cares about his female lead. He's been great in every movie I've seen him in, and in Heartland, too.  I love that show even more than WCTH, so I've been glad he's still on it while doing WCTH.

I don't watch anymore so can't really comment on the show as it exists now, but, doing a drive-by to say I love Kevin on Heartland.  His character is so sweet and funny, albeit a bit of a doormat IMO.  But, that's a topic for a different thread. 😊

Carry on, Hearties.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I love Kevin on Heartland.  His character is so sweet and funny, albeit a bit of a doormat IMO.  But, that's a topic for a different thread. 😊

Funny you should say this, I actually don't like Kevin on Heartland specifically because I only saw him on Heartland AFTER he came on WCTH as a replacement for Jack. I'm not too fond of his long face, he looks older than I think he is, and he always seems to have a confused look on his face. It totally spoiled his characters on any show after he attached himself to the WCTH debacle.

1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

Well in his defense, I’d smile a lot around Lee too!

Lee was my favorite character after J&E; he is flamboyant (plaids and stripes), knows what he wants and goes for it and always looks on the bright side. He is the only character on the show who was allowed to grow, at least a little bit from riding his motorcycle into town with nothing but the clothes on his back and a large bank account, building his lumber business to marrying his love all within a couple of seasons. However, even he seems stagnant now, he still lives in an old house with outdoor plumbing when the has all the lumber needed to build "the largest house in town" (his words after getting back from his honeymoon).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, free2think said:

Lee was my favorite character after J&E; he is flamboyant (plaids and stripes), knows what he wants and goes for it and always looks on the bright side. He is the only character on the show who was allowed to grow, at least a little bit from riding his motorcycle into town with nothing but the clothes on his back and a large bank account, building his lumber business to marrying his love all within a couple of seasons. However, even he seems stagnant now, he still lives in an old house with outdoor plumbing when the has all the lumber needed to build "the largest house in town" (his words after getting back from his honeymoon).

That's really the problem with all the other characters. Their all stagnant. Once LL and Abigail started taking over the storylines, airtime and focus all the other characters just stopped in one place and they still are. The storylines are stagnant. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

They seem very conflict adverse and will not do anything to upset the rabid fans. So it’s stagnant. Some people like that.

I love a "happy ending show," but it does not have to be conflict driven just logical progression. For example, Jack and Elizabeth getting married, having a baby, keeping both their jobs and all the issues that can arise from that dynamic. Lots of episodes could focus on being a young family, sickness, money problems, moral issues, along with the one-off stories coming from the townsfolk and the kids in the school. It does not need to be a 'shack and awe' kind of show, just a show that continually moves forward and allows the characters to grow within the universe of WCTH. I know that will never happen now except within the fanfiction universe, but oh, what could have been.

• Love 4

When I say conflict I am talking about the problems of everyday life. Remember the origin  of the show. All of the men died in a mine accident and the mine owners wanted to throw them out of their homes. This seems to be totally forgotten by everyone including the widows.

As has been mentioned the show takes place at the beginning of World War 1. Also ignored. It is truly life in a bubble.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

As has been mentioned the show takes place at the beginning of World War 1. Also ignored. It is truly life in a bubble.

Oh, right, yes, I agree with this comment. But even if I excused this show for ignoring the 'real-life' events happening during this time-line, they should at least keep moving forward in the fictional WCTH world. It's true that even in the fictional WCTH world, they don't seem to learn anything, the bad guy who was tried and convicted is still allowed back into the community to do the same thing again and again. Besides, they killed Jack, so it's never going to be a happy ending show either, which is why this show is now floundering. It's not a cannon Hallmark show nor a 'shock and awe' show (i.e. GOT). It has become a sham, a mere facade of both a Hallmark show and what a 'Period drama' should be.

• Love 3

I’m Team Saloon Owner just because putting Elizabeth with yet another Mountie would be weird. And being with the Mountie would mean even more of the niece (where does Hallmark keep getting these fair-to-middling child actors?).

I think they’re working on a redemption arc for Henry and I’m a little interested to see if they do something with that.

I could not possibly care less about Clara/Jesse or Carson/Faith. I fast-forward through all of their scenes. I wish they would give the switchboard operator something else to do. 

Also: Jack Wagner talks with his lips pursed and it drives me absolutely crazy.

• Love 6

Honestly, there's no drama, intrigue or mystery. The costuming isn't close to accurate and it's just the same three things over and over and over again. It's not entertaining or anything at all. 

It's basically flour, or any boring spice of your choosing. 

• Love 2

So I still watch the show but I find myself just telling myself I have to suspend my disbelief of A LOT of things. Regarding the Christmas special:

First, where did all those people come from for the Christmas festival? Hope Valley is not that big and I'm pretty sure there would not be THAT many people coming from other towns.

Second, the traveling salesman wasn't coughing when he tried to clean Henry's coat. Then he was practically dying when riding with Carson. Then Carson gives him some cough medicine or whatever it was and he was fine again with Henry as he took him back home?

Third, There are other women in town besides Elizabeth. For instance, the telephone operator. I agree with whoever posted above that she and Lucas (the saloon owner) would be a good couple. I think he is better looking than Nathan but I think Nathan is really sweet and more suited for Elizabeth.

I also agree with whoever posted that Jack Wagner talks with his lips pursed. I like him, but I've always thought he overacted everything to the point it doesn't look natural. And that is no different in this show.

Did not notice Abigail's absence at all. Didn't even notice a mention although I may have missed it. And as for the couples - Carson and Faith and Jesse and whats-her-name - you are all correct - BORING!

I love Henry. Even when he was bad, he was good. I wish they'd get Henry a love interest. And I also love Lee & Rosemary. Wish they would be blessed with a child - either by birth or adoption. I had trouble getting pregnant with both my kids, as did a few of my relatives and it really is painful to see everyone else having kids and here you can't even do the most basic thing we were put on this earth to do - procreate. 

All that being said - I will be watching when it comes back on for the new season : )

• Love 5

I prefer the saloon owner to Nathan because I feel like if Elizbeth just falls for every mountie in town it sort of cheapens what she had with any of them.   Elizabeth just likes a uniform.   And I think there is more potential for conflict for Elizabeth with a guy who isn't squeaky clean where as hot telephone operator (who is totally the best character on this show but probably only because they haven't paired her with anybody) seems more like she might bend some rules in ways that the local mountie might find stimulating.    

I LOVE Henry and shipped him hard with Abigail despite his history with the mine accident because they had killer chemistry.  But with Abigail gone they really don't need both Henry and Jack Wagner (what's his name) and I"d totally get rid of Jack Wagner because he's less dynamic but since he's now the judge and runs the cafe and is Jack Wagner I suspect they'll keep him.    

• Love 3

Henry definitely needs a love interest. I would find one for Jack too! I would think they'd both be interesting to women. They are business owners and Jack is a sheriff. They are attractive.  Give the telephone operator a storyline. She seems like a dynamo and is so pretty.  Elizabeth is just too syrupy sweet for me. It doesn't need to be the Elizabeth and baby Jack show.

• Love 5
On 12/28/2019 at 8:16 PM, bybrandy said:

I prefer the saloon owner to Nathan because I feel like if Elizbeth just falls for every mountie in town it sort of cheapens what she had with any of them.   Elizabeth just likes a uniform.   And I think there is more potential for conflict for Elizabeth with a guy who isn't squeaky clean where as hot telephone operator (who is totally the best character on this show but probably only because they haven't paired her with anybody) seems more like she might bend some rules in ways that the local mountie might find stimulating.    

Wow ByBrandy, are you and I sharing the same brain?!  As I wrote above, I too would 'ship the saloon owner (Lucas?) and Elizabeth because:

1) Elizabeth and Nathan seems like a retread of Elizabeth and Jack

2) the saloon owner seems to have more of a backstory. He came on the show as mysterious and morally ambiguous. However, I think the show is going to ignore all that and turn him into another plain vanilla character. So because of this, I'm currently 'shipping Elizabeth/Nathan because the actors have more chemistry, IMO, and I like Kevin more as an actor.

I LOVE Henry and shipped him hard with Abigail despite his history with the mine accident because they had killer chemistry.  But with Abigail gone they really don't need both Henry and Jack Wagner (what's his name) and I"d totally get rid of Jack Wagner because he's less dynamic but since he's now the judge and runs the cafe and is Jack Wagner I suspect they'll keep him.    

Yep - I've written before on this forum that I totally 'shipped Henry and Abigail because the chemstry/UST between them was off the charts (at least to me). I don't care for the trope of the 'bad guy' seeing the error of his ways and reforming due to the love of a 'good woman' but I would have gone for it in the case of these two.  It also seemed like the show was moving towards this, but alas...it ain't gonna happen now.

As for Jack Wagner's "acting", I first knew him from General Hospital. Because it was so long ago, I can't remember if this pursed lips/clenched teeth acting was something he always did, or was this a recent development.  [Or maybe it started during his Melrose Place days...?]

On 12/28/2019 at 7:18 PM, llewis823 said:

I love Henry. Even when he was bad, he was good. I wish they'd get Henry a love interest.

I do, too. I think he and the telephone operator would be a good match. I liked how she noticed that he left money for the shop owner when he picked up the food. If not Henry, then I agree with the saloon guy for her. She seems zippier than those other women in town.

I am totally bored with Elizabeth as a mother and the mountie and his niece. I never liked that baby talk way Elizabeth talks to her students, and it's worse with an actual baby.

• Love 5
On 12/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Hey, it could be worse -- Gomer Pyle was a show about Marines, airing during the Vietnam War -- and there was nary a word about the war 🤣

On 12/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, enduringforce said:

For example, Jack and Elizabeth getting married, having a baby, keeping both their jobs and all the issues that can arise from that dynamic.

Well, historically, a female schoolteacher had to quit her job when she married. (Not that this show keeps to the history...) But in the original books, there was a lot of conflict simply because Elizabeth couldn't have biological children, she had given up her teaching job and moved to a remote location up North with Wynn/Jack, where she essentially was stuck in a tiny cabin with nothing to do all day. Quite understandably, it wore away at her emotionally. 

Just watched the Christmas special...

I prefer Elizabeth with Lucas, but they had no story together in the Christmas special.  I suppose the writers were trying to balance out she and Lucas dancing in the finale with tree shopping with Nathan at Christmas.  She mooned over Nathan the entire episode, and for what?  He accepted a promotion and was happy to leave until his niece started pouting.  Elizabeth basically threw her self at him (in a modest 1900’s way) trying to remind him of all the friends he had in town and to not leave them.

Elizabeth and Lucas had 2 conversations about Christmas and that was it.

Lucas is the better match but apparently the show will only allow Elizabeth to be with a Mountie.  He’s so boring. Ugh.

• Love 5

Finally watched the Christmas special. Agree with all those who thought it was boring. I wasn't expecting any story movement, because they've always made the Christmas special be mostly standalone so that anyone who misses it won't be lost. But the standalone storylines weren't very interesting (though I liked the salesman guy). And Faith/Carson have no spark (although I like them both individually).

But going forward, yeah. I need some movement on some things. Lee/Rosemary and kids, Clara/Jesse getting married finally, etc. And count me with those who think Elizabeth with Nathan would be so boring. Another mountie? Lame. I do like the actor, but no. I think Lucas is much more interesting, and can cover new ground. Put Nathan with the telephone operator (I can't remember her name). I can't recall any scenes they've had, but I feel like it could be interesting.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2019 at 5:37 AM, scenicbyway said:

Rosemarys infertility 

How can we know that it's Rosemary and not her husband?

Often when a cuople adopts a child, a wife becomes soon pregnant. Maybe because there is no stress any more?

• Love 1
On 10/17/2019 at 9:04 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Sure. But it's one thing to declare your desire for independence when you know there is a safety net in case something goes wrong, and quite another to know that if something goes wrong, you and your child might starve or become homeless.

Elizabeth is young and healthy and she has work, salary, extra money and home. She do have a safety net in Hope Valley: many friends who would and could help her if she needed help. And in gravest situations she could just send a telegram to her family. But it would be waste of live to be afraid "if something goes wrong".    

On 10/31/2019 at 12:06 AM, SnarkySheep said:

FWIW, I always thought it was a little odd that Elizabeth would want to call him Jack, anyways. I mean, wouldn't it be painful to keep saying his dead father's name every day?

Formerly they thought otherwise. Children could be given her och his dead sibling's name. 

Just put her with the guy who gave her a library. He. Gave. Her. A. Library

Boring Mountie brings what? Angsty annoying niece and a red jacket.

Aaaand, still no war. In Hallmarkworld, apparently war only happens at Christmas so they can do movies about writing to soldiers. Hope Valley is starting to feel a little like Brigadoon.

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

7 seasons

I tried but could not watch completely, just too campy and sad (I don't need to see Jack's widow giving doe eyes to two men). The reason why I watched in the past was the relationship between Jack and Elizabeth, not for either one specifically but both together. It is just not the same or anywhere near as compelling with this 'love triangle' they are pushing. Also, I checked the ratings for this episode, and it's tanking pretty bad when compared to previous years. 
I'm not sure about the spin-off 'When hope calls,' as I only watch the first episode when it was shown for free in Sept, but I did not like it. Last year for season one, they made people pay for 'When Hope Calls' because it's on their streaming channel, and I don't think they got the viewership they wanted. Now they are repeating season 1 right after WCTH on Sundays, and I think they had hoped that WCTH lead-in would help gain viewership for a possible season 2. But WCTH had it's worst season opener in years, and according to the ratings for 'When hope calls,' they did not keep many viewers watching.

I was hoping that WCTH would do that Jack comes back (played by another actor) thing, Elizabeth would leave hope valley to join him, and the spin-off would then just take over the lives of the rest of the town. Sadly this did not happen, and now they have two shows; not many are genuinely interested (due to many of the same reasons).

• Love 2
13 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

I hate to say this, but Lucas Brouchard is my ideal man. 

Elizabeth’s anxiety over Lucas reading her book is the most relatable she’s ever been in 7 seasons. 

It’s been six seasons and I’d still die for Rosemary Coulter. 

They've neutered Lucas. He's no longer mysterious (oooh, big "secret" that he likes books and his mom was a book editor!) or ambiguous.  One no longer imagines a perhaps unsavory past and how that might impact his present. [They had the kidnap episode with the actor from Battlestar Galactica, but that seemed a self contained episode with no ramifications later on.] Both he and Henry have been reformed and now the show is populated strictly with "white hat" characters.

ITA on Elizabeth having Lucas (or anyone else) read her book...

I like the actress who portrays Rosemary just fine, but the character is exhausting. I feel like she's a toddler who Lee must constantly indulge or there will be hell to pay.

I'll still continue watching until the show is off the air (mostly likely the end of this season) since I don't have anything else to do...

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

How expensive is this show to produce?  I get that the wardrobe mostly comes from Anthropologie so they probably don't have to pay costume designers very much, but with set maintenance, insurance/legal stuff that all shows have, veterinary and animal care, as well as paying the salaries of the crew and the expensive (by Hallmark standards) actors like Hallmark Queen Erin Krakow, this has to be pricier than Chesapeake Shores.  If ratings are tanking, as they appear to be, then they probably need to end this before it loses them too much money.

I finally got around to reading the books (or at least the first three).  They're pretty easy reads but very, very different from the show.  Still, there were some great storylines that the showrunners really should have included.  First Nations people play a very prominent role, that seems like a big missed opportunity for the network that is constantly accused of racism.  There's also a very sweet storyline with a boy who is mentally handicapped, and Elizabeth is the one who brings the town together to pay for his medical care.  It's amazing how books that otherwise have women in very subservient roles somehow manage to give their female characters more agency than Hallmark does.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

First Nations people play a very prominent role, that seems like a big missed opportunity for the network that is constantly accused of racism. 

And yet they didn't because this is a network that until a few years ago didn't show brown or black people and even now uses them in quite literally a "One of my my best friends is..." way. If Halmark hired the types of writers and produces the types of shows/movies that insisted they go all in on in on a First Nations story they would not be constantly accused of racism.

Honestly, I thought this episode was better than anything last season.  

Rosemary can be a lot but what always saves her for me (and I admit to adoring her but she's usually not the type of character I do) is that she is completely ride or die for the people in her circle.  She's a lot.  She demands a lot.  But when Lee needed to postpone the trip she postponed the trip.  Done.  No questions.  If Elizabeth or Jack needed something she'd be there instantly she talks a good game about being all "me, me, me" but in her actions she very often puts others first.

Team Lucas.   Team Lucas so hard I don't quite see why they haven't already moved the Mountie (whose name I genuinely can't remember) onto the telephone operator (whose name I also can't remember but who as a character I find less forgettable than the mountie who I literally forget exists if he isn't physically present on the screen.  If you have to put Elizabeth together with a mountie because that's the plan?  Get one with more charisma.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

Rosemary can be a lot but what always saves her for me (and I admit to adoring her but she's usually not the type of character I do) is that she is completely ride or die for the people in her circle.  She's a lot.  She demands a lot.  But when Lee needed to postpone the trip she postponed the trip.  Done.  No questions.  If Elizabeth or Jack needed something she'd be there instantly she talks a good game about being all "me, me, me" but in her actions she very often puts others first.

She hasn't lost her very large, dramatic ways, bur she has such a big heart. I think she's just grown into a wonderful, caring character. For me, she's the heart (haha) of the show. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

And yet they didn't because this is a network that until a few years ago didn't show brown or black people and even now uses them in quite literally a "One of my my best friends is..." way. If Halmark hired the types of writers and produces the types of shows/movies that insisted they go all in on in on a First Nations story they would not be constantly accused of racism.

Honestly, I thought this episode was better than anything last season.  

Team Lucas.   Team Lucas so hard I don't quite see why they haven't already moved the Mountie (whose name I genuinely can't remember) onto the telephone operator (whose name I also can't remember but who as a character I find less forgettable than the mountie who I literally forget exists if he isn't physically present on the screen.  If you have to put Elizabeth together with a mountie because that's the plan?  Get one with more charisma.

I am a POC but one of the things that really irks me is the tokenism of having POC in this show. They are all just background fillers - people walking the streets, or diners, etc. So I'd rather they don't appear on this show at all instead of being trotted out cynically by Hallmark to be "put on display".  I've said before on this WCtH forum that if they wanted to have POC on the show, at least have them be viable characters a la Levar Burton's character on the old CBS show Christy. Since the time period in Christy is similar to WCtH (early 20th century), the folks here should look to how Christy was able to incorporate Levar.  Geordie LaForge FTW!   ☺️

If they had not neutered the Lucas character, I'd be more Team Lucas, but I sense more chemistry between the actors playing Nathan and Elizabeth. Also, I find Kevin McGarry quite handsome, but Chris does NOTHING for me.

• Love 3

It’s so obvious they are planning for Elizabeth to be with the Mountie again.  She holds her breath everytime she sees or interacts with him.  The way the actor is playing the role though makes him seem completely oblivious to her and to the town.

She has friend zoned Lucas to his own detriment, they are the ones who actually have things in common.  Books, libraries, book publishing, worldliness.  All the Mountie has to offer is a niece that could watch the baby regularly.

They need to give Rosemary and Lee a kid.  They’ve gone too far down the infertility road to leave them without a child now.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

It’s so obvious they are planning for Elizabeth to be with the Mountie again.  She holds her breath everytime she sees or interacts with him.  The way the actor is playing the role though makes him seem completely oblivious to her and to the town.

She has friend zoned Lucas to his own detriment, they are the ones who actually have things in common.  Books, libraries, book publishing, worldliness.  All the Mountie has to offer is a niece that could watch the baby regularly.

They need to give Rosemary and Lee a kid.  They’ve gone too far down the infertility road to leave them without a child now.

YMMV because I sense more chemistry between the actors playing Elizabeth and Nathan. In this last episode, I sensed it most acutely when they talk right outside of Mountie HQ. The scene by the river with baby Jack was another one filled with UST (unresolved sexual tension - thanks for the acronym X-Files!).

I agree about friend-zoning Lucas. That's the sense I got as well. I wonder if the show will test the chemistry between Lucas and Fiona.

12 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I hope they spice up the show as much as the next guy but I draw the line at introducing “Rosemary’s Baby!”

ROFL!   😉🤣

On 2/26/2020 at 2:44 PM, norcalgal said:

If they had not neutered the Lucas character, I'd be more Team Lucas, but I sense more chemistry between the actors playing Nathan and Elizabeth. Also, I find Kevin McGarry quite handsome, but Chris does NOTHING for me.

I never liked Lucas or that actor much, but I'm right there with you on Kevin McGarry and the chemistry between Nathan and Elizabeth.

I'm not convinced Lucas actually likes to read. He seems to be trying too hard to get to Elizabeth, which honestly just creeps me out.

21 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

YMMV because I sense more chemistry between the actors playing Elizabeth and Nathan. In this last episode, I sensed it most acutely when they talk right outside of Mountie HQ. The scene by the river with baby Jack was another one filled with UST (unresolved sexual tension - thanks for the acronym X-Files!).

I agree about friend-zoning Lucas. That's the sense I got as well. I wonder if the show will test the chemistry between Lucas and Fiona.

ROFL!   😉🤣

I agree with you completely.  I sense the UST and the friend thing with Lucas (when he's not being creepy).  I think Lucas fits a lot better with the progressively modern Fiona. They could be great together, imho.