Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/12/2019 at 5:59 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Have they recast Abigail?   The synopsis for next week’s show, on the Fios guide, it says “Abigail is reunited with an old flame.”  

I have no idea if Abigail was recast or not, but given how prominently the cafe featured in past shows, with characters constantly eating/hanging out there, it'd be weird if the show never once again has scenes set in the cafe.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I have no idea if Abigail was recast or not, but given how prominently the cafe featured in past shows, with characters constantly eating/hanging out there, it'd be weird if the show never once again has scenes set in the cafe.

I could see someone else buying the cafe and renaming it--possibly a new character next season.

• Love 2

So, Opal disappears into the woods after following the boys. Does she have parents? Wouldn't they have been out looking for her? Wouldn't they have been at the doctor with her? 

Not buying the Faith and Carson relationship. Zero chemistry. She has turned into a wishy washy simpering character. Carson seems to barely tolerate her. I am not sensing a love connection at all. Lol. 

And, as always, the mountie has zero idea where his niece is at any given time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Pickles said:

So, Opal disappears into the woods after following the boys. Does she have parents? Wouldn't they have been out looking for her? Wouldn't they have been at the doctor with her? 

Not buying the Faith and Carson relationship. Zero chemistry. She has turned into a wishy washy simpering character. Carson seems to barely tolerate her. I am not sensing a love connection at all. Lol. 

And, as always, the mountie has zero idea where his niece is at any given time. 

Exactly!  3 kids are out in the dark, no one goes looking until the 4th goes to the teacher?!  Wouldn’t checking at their homes be the first thing you’d do?

Carson and Faith had good will they/won’t they but have no chemistry no that they will?  They look super uncomfortable with each other close up.

Rosemarys infertility is interesting in that by Downtown Abbey time Mary went off to have an operation when she couldn’t get pregnant, perhaps it’s too early in this timeline for gynecological intervention?

The Mountie is so vanilla.  Bouchard needs to give the niece a job in the saloon just so she can hang out there.  Honestly they should’ve made her Bouchard’s niece, it would’ve been way more interesting.

Please don’t pair Elizabeth with the Mountie, ugh.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Not buying the Faith and Carson relationship. Zero chemistry. She has turned into a wishy washy simpering character.

The hallmark of Hallmark characters. It never fails. First season: spunky, feisty, opinionated, strong(ish) woman. Next season: wishy-washy, simpering doormat.

• Love 1

I don’t buy Elizabeth having a relationship with either the Mountie or the saloon guy. It is way too soon for a new romance despite the plot requirements. 

They need time to pass and to introduce new characters. 

• Love 2

So, will that orphan boy be Rosemary and Lee's new son? Or is that just a plug for the other Hallmark show? I am really not interested in seeing more kids on the show.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So, will that orphan boy be Rosemary and Lee's new son? Or is that just a plug for the other Hallmark show? I am really not interested in seeing more kids on the show.

I thought the same thing as soon as they arrived. I hope not either. Especially a brooding child 

everyone ditching Lee saddens me. I know these guys need to go where the money is, but first time opportunities can be fleeting, then they’ll come crawling back

So with other single ladies in town, the one woman both the new Mountie and Lucas seem to be attracted to us a widowed young mother. When did Elizabeth become Mary-Sue?  If anything I’m rooting for Lucas because he quoted ‘Dangerous Liaisons’, though I'm

surprised how such a scandalous  novel wound up in the library 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

I thought the same thing as soon as they arrived. I hope not either. Especially a brooding child 

everyone ditching Lee saddens me. I know these guys need to go where the money is, but first time opportunities can be fleeting, then they’ll come crawling back

So with other single ladies in town, the one woman both the new Mountie and Lucas seem to be attracted to us a widowed young mother. When did Elizabeth become Mary-Sue?  If anything I’m rooting for Lucas because he quoted ‘Dangerous Liaisons’, though I'm

surprised how such a scandalous  novel wound up in the library 

But aren’t most of the other ladies much older than Elizabeth, which also makes them older than the Mountie and Lucas?  The only other one is the phone operator and she just got there.  I hope Lucas ends up with Elizabeth, the Mountie is sooo boring.

I wondered what that kid was doing at Lee and Rosemary’s, the ad for the other series makes more sense.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

What about the cute phone company gal? She is very pretty and a great personality. Why aren't the guys flocking to her??

She looks a bit like Leighton Meester, closer to the gossip girl years. She's stunning. I guess all the men in Hope Valley are blind! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

What was the purpose of Faith leaving town?  Does it have anything to do with the plot?  Does it have something to do with Grace?  Is the actress doing something else?  Why not just have her not in any scenes?

So is Lucas a good guy now?  We still don't know why he had all of that money hidden under the shipment of fish.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

What was the purpose of Faith leaving town?  Does it have anything to do with the plot?  Does it have something to do with Grace?  Is the actress doing something else?  Why not just have her not in any scenes?

The actress had a bigger role on Supergirl this season. Up until this year, her character didn’t have much to do. That changed this season. 

It could’ve interfered with WCTH filming. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Useful 4
6 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

So is Lucas a good guy now?  We still don't know why he had all of that money hidden under the shipment of fish.

I'm guessing Faith left town because they had to reshoot the last two episodes and that might've interfered with her other show's shooting schedule? It does kinda make it look like she's left the show.

Lucas had guns and money hidden under the fish.  Maybe the show is hoping we won't remember the guns since it looks like he's been redeemed?

I really prefer Lucas with Elizabeth but those promos for the finale make it look like she's going to prefer the Mountie, who's name I can't be bothered to learn because he's so boring.

Is Grace Rosemary's sister?  Why would she be staying with Rosemary and Lee?  Somehow I've missed her coming to town.  For a couple wanting kids, Rosemary and Lee didn't really make an effort to bond with the boy staying with them.

I think the phone company gal was initially supposed to be a temporary resident?  Maybe she'll be more permanent now with Lori gone?  She seems the right age for the Mountie but maybe too "modern" for him?

• Love 4

Did visitors used to stay at Abagail's place? Like above the cafe? That shows how much attention I pay to the show. I was wondering why the orphanage gal and the young boy stayed with Lee and Rosemary too, but they don't seem to be showing the cafe at all (with Lori gone) so maybe this is why? 

Is this also the first season where they have shown the little houses all lined up in a row? I never remembered everyone living in those before.

38 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Did visitors used to stay at Abagail's place? Like above the cafe? That shows how much attention I pay to the show. I was wondering why the orphanage gal and the young boy stayed with Lee and Rosemary too, but they don't seem to be showing the cafe at all (with Lori gone) so maybe this is why? 

Is this also the first season where they have shown the little houses all lined up in a row? I never remembered everyone living in those before.

Abigail's is a one story place.  There are rooms above the saloon, but that probably doesn't work for a kid.  They've always shown the row houses, it's just odd that Lee and Rosemary would live in one since he owns a prosperous mill.  They should have a big house and property.  Elizabeth and Jack were building a house.  Jesse and his girlfriend had property and were building, I can't figure out why Lee and Rosemary wouldn't have their own house outside of widows row.

• Love 5
(edited)
39 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Abigail's is a one story place.

Actually Abigail's has two stories. When Abigail first opened the cafe the deal with Gowan was to give up her row house (which Elizabeth currently now lives in) and move to the rooms above the cafe. 

At first it was only Abigail and Elizabeth living above the cafe but then Cody, his sister and Clara (Abigail's daughter-in-law) all shared that space. Which is why Elizabeth decides to rent Abigail's old row house to give everyone else more space. 

39 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Lee and Rosemary would live in one since he owns a prosperous mill.

This made no sense to me either. I remember the episode when they first come back from their honeymoon and they are standing at the Stagecoach stop talking to all their friends Lee says, "... apparently I'm building her the largest house in town." But that never happens. Just another "suspend disbelief" plot line on this show.

Edited by free2think
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Abigail's is a one story place.  There are rooms above the saloon, but that probably doesn't work for a kid.  They've always shown the row houses, it's just odd that Lee and Rosemary would live in one since he owns a prosperous mill.  They should have a big house and property.  Elizabeth and Jack were building a house.  Jesse and his girlfriend had property and were building, I can't figure out why Lee and Rosemary wouldn't have their own house outside of widows row.

My guess is that they live there because Rosemary likes being near all of her neighbors.  If she didn’t live next to Elizabeth, they’d have to figure out other ways to interact. 

The phone operator lady is growing on me. I wouldn’t mind her with the new Mountie. Her being a bit more modern and her influence on his niece would be an interesting story. 

• Love 5

All those girls stayed with Lee and Rosemary during the episode where the orphange sisters were introduced.  I think Lee and Rosemary bonded with the orphange people when they were hosing all those girls.  But,yeah, it is a way to have Lee and Rosemary force the adoption question, I assume.   

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

All those girls stayed with Lee and Rosemary during the episode where the orphange sisters were introduced.  I think Lee and Rosemary bonded with the orphange people when they were hosing all those girls.  But,yeah, it is a way to have Lee and Rosemary force the adoption question, I assume.   

Ugh, I hope they don't end up with the kid staying with them. To me, that is just Cody II. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 8:06 PM, allonsyalice said:
On 5/27/2019 at 5:37 PM, Pickles said:

What about the cute phone company gal? She is very pretty and a great personality. Why aren't the guys flocking to her??

She looks a bit like Leighton Meester, closer to the gossip girl years. She's stunning. I guess all the men in Hope Valley are blind! 

Agree on phone company gal (why can't I remember these names??)  She's witty and spunky in a way that isn't annoying.  Actress pulls it off well.  But I suppose Elizabeth is Hope Valley's version of Smallville's Lana Lang - all the men see no one else but her

I hope Faith doesn't return.  The actress had ZERO chemistry with a forced relationship with the doc (oh Lord, his name escapes me too and am too lazy to scroll back up to find it)  Too cutesy and not enough buildup.

After a re-watch, I'm curious - do any of the town folk actually live in the center of town or do they all live on those tiny houses on the outskirts?  I'm finding it hard to believe that they all suddenly appeared in the middle of the street (some looked to be in their night clothes) after the shots rang out in the saloon.  Lee especially.  Last scene he was at Elizabeth's waiting for Rosemary to come watch the baby so the young sitter (again - name!) could go home.  How did he get there so fast?

Jesse bugs me and has always come across a bit whiny, but I give him kudos for staying loyal to Lee.

I can't dislike Henry.  He's not wooing anyone.  They're all going to work for him willingly because he's got more to offer.  It's called business.

Mountie guy (yep - name again!) is dullsville.  I dig Lucas and he gets props for what he did for his friend.  But I swear I wanted to smack Elizabeth when he offered her his coat after the ordeal and she pretty much swatted him away.  Hey...he didn't force you to show up at the saloon with those men there, sister.  He didn't do anything nefarious.  He helped out a friend (yeah, he cheated in the poker game, but so was the other guy) and that guy wanted revenge.  Her reaction to his act of kindness (even after he told those men over and over to let her go) really irked me.

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 9

The townspeople live in the tiny houses because "Hope Valley" started out as a mining town.  But after the mine disaster where all the men died, the widows remained in the mine housing, aka the tiny houses.

It makes no sense that Lee and Rosemary live in a mine shack because he's the mill owner.  He should have one of the bigger houses in town.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

It makes no sense that Lee and Rosemary live in a mine shack because he's the mill owner.  He should have one of the bigger houses in town.

I could see Rosemary not being happy in a big house. She’s a very social person and she might feel isolated in a bigger house away from everyone. 

Looking at the Heartie FB group I’m shocked that most their seem to think Elizabeth will choose to dance and date the new Mountie.  They have no chemistry, the only thing tying them together is his niece being her student.  Ugh.

I don’t think they’ll end the season with her choosing anyone.

After the finale...

I love that Elizabeth chose to dance with Lucas (he’s challenging to her, sweet, smart and hot) but was she really that dense that she didn’t realize she’d be hurting Nathan?  Lucas built her a library, Nathan carved her a wood plaque for the library.  The boys are vying for her whether she sees that or not.  #teamlucas

Henry’s redemption would’ve been meaningful if it had been he and Abigail having the talk.  I bet there’s even a dance scene with Henry and Abigail outside the saloon on the cutting room floor somewhere.  Too bad.  The only reason to redeem him would’ve been for that pairing.

So Mountie Nathan is also in the new series When hope calls, maybe he finds a love interest there?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

After the finale...

I love that Elizabeth chose to dance with Lucas (he’s challenging to her, sweet, smart and hot) but was she really that dense that she didn’t realize she’d be hurting Nathan?  Lucas built her a library, Nathan carved her a wood plaque for the library.  The boys are vying for her whether she sees that or not.  #teamlucas

Henry’s redemption would’ve been meaningful if it had been he and Abigail having the talk.  I bet there’s even a dance scene with Henry and Abigail outside the saloon on the cutting room floor somewhere.  Too bad.  The only reason to redeem him would’ve been for that pairing.

I'm with you re: the only reason to redeem Henry would have been to pair him up with Abigail.  And it seemed the show was heading in that direction. But, since there's no Abigail, I really felt that to add emphasis to the talk Elizabeth had with Henry, she should have chosen to dance with him. That would have been a clear sign to Bill and the whole town that they need to move on from Black Sheep Henry and see him as the person he is now (the way Elizabeth does, and Abigail too if she were still on this show; And BTW, I'm sure the original scene was supposed to be Henry and Abigail, but alas....)

So Mountie Nathan is also in the new series When hope calls, maybe he finds a love interest there?

I don't think the new Mountie is in the new series.  I just think that folks from WCTH will pop up in the new show from time to time partly to help "establish" the new show, but maybe for ratings as well. After all, the Mountie is prominently featured in the opening title credits, so I doubt he'll be in the other Hallmark show with the orphans.

So, given that the end of this episode made clear WCTH would return in 2020, I wonder how and how soon the show will permanently get rid of Abigail? And when doing so, will they address 1) what will happen to the cafe?

2) how the town will function without Mayor Abigail?

Edited by norcalgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

So, given that the end of this episode made clear WCTH would return in 2020, I wonder how and how soon the show will permanently get rid of Abigail? And when doing so, will they address 1) what will happen to the cafe?

2) how the town will function without Mayor Abigail?

I would be fine with a recast of Abigail if TPTB really think we need the character around. I do not really think they need Abigail around if they just had someone else taking over the cafe (probably with a new name) and someone else becoming mayor. It could gives other characters more of a story. I am assuming that since the episodes were recut that they could not really address everything Abigail until they start filming again.

• Useful 1

I’m guessing they’ll have a Christmas movie since they’ve had one for the last few years. That could tie up a few loose ends before the new season. I really wish they would do a seasonal movie outside of Christmas following the regular season (spring, summer or fall/harvest) since there is usually such a large gap between seasons and they’re so short. 

They really need to bring in a matriarch type character around Bill or Henry’s age. That is where Abigail’s absence was really felt this season. Outside of the one older lady who works with Fiona at the switchboard, there really isn’t anyone in that age bracket. 

I’m not putting anything into Elizabeth dancing with Lucas. I think it was more of he was in the right place at the right time. She saw him first and asked him to dance as opposed to seeking him out. She could just have easily asked Nathan if she had seen him first. I was amused that they were both bested by Carson during their pissing contest (pardon the language) over the fishing pole. 

They were trying too hard with Lee and Rosemary. They’re obviously going to adopt a child. I was surprised that they didn’t find the missing boy and then decide they were so bonded that they should adopt him (or the boy ask if he could stay in Hope Valley and the Coulters deciding to invite him to stay with them). 

• Love 4

I wonder if they are leaving the possibility open for Rosemary to have a happy surprise pregnancy? That would be a big, ongoing storyline. I did not want them adopting that orphan boy. That would have been like Abigail and Cody all over again. Plus, I didn't even think Rosemary and Lee seemed that interested in that kid. lol. I really picture Rosemary with a little girl.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I also picture Rosemary with a daughter, but I suspect adoption and or a surprise pregnancy is in Rosemary's future.   I'm a little surprised they haven't discussed adoption even if the decision was that it wasn't the right time for now.    It just feels like the kind of discussion that they will have at some point.

• Love 2

For how much Lee and Rosemary want a child, they ignored the one staying at their house.  I get that Grace and the boy were there to promote the new show, but having them stay with the Coulters who are pining for a baby and then have them take no interest in the boy was weird.  He had far more bonding with Carson than with Rosemary.

My guess is that they won't address the Abigail situation.  They've already stopped showing the café and now everyone eats at the saloon.  I could see Clara taking over the café because they don't need 4 people working at the dress shop, how many clothes can this small town sell anyway?

They do need an older woman in town because it makes Rosemary look like the oldest and she's still trying to have a baby.   

I would assume we'll see a mayoral election with Henry being elected.

• Love 3

Hey-yo, I'm a noob who just marathoned this show over a sick weekend.  I haven't seen Season 6 yet since I'm a Netflixer and it's not on Netflix yet, but I read episode summaries and...I'm holding out hope that with Lori's departure it means Jack will come back, at least when the series wraps up.  Yes Dan wanted to move on, but coming back for the final season would mean a really nice fat paycheck without any long-term commitment since you know this is it, and you make the fans love you by giving them the ultimate happy ending.  Make it a Christmas special, Elizabeth and Jack's happy conclusion on Christmas, that seems very Hallmark-y.  And Lori's gone, so that's something, if the rumors were true about him being unhappy with it becoming the Abigail show.  It seems like a win-win for him and for the show.  And I know the topic has been discussed to death but it kinda sorta maybe makes sense?  Especially if Season 7 is the last season (and it kind of sounds like they're running out of material anyway), they could totally have maybe Elizabeth and Lucas get together, have a romance, maybe get engaged, and then...Bill gets a telegram about a guy in the mountains who had amnesia for the past year-ish and rushes off to find him.  Of course it's soapy but...this show is kind of a soap opera after all.

Also, having marathoned everything all at once, there were an awful lot of hints during Jack's denouement that left the door open.  When he and Jesse started building the house Jesse was all "I can't imagine you two not together" and talked about his own breakup, and Jack's response was "If you're meant to be together, you'll find your way back to each other."  I'm probably reading too much into it but that seems like a hint.  And speaking of the house, that was just plain cruel to the audience, for them to show how excited Jack was to build the house and start a family.  He was so happy and then boom, he's dead.  Oh and by the way he also has a son now when for the past like, two seasons all he wanted was kids with Elizabeth and now he doesn't even get to know his son exists?  It seems way too tragic for that to be his ending, particularly on a channel that doesn't really do tragedy.  And finally, no body.  Yeah we see a coffin and a grave, but he's killed in a rockslide.  In the pre-DNA days I can easily see that explained away as the body being unrecognizable after getting crushed, and they thought it was him because of the ID tag but tags got mixed up somehow, and the guy they thought was some other guy doesn't have any family so no one actually identified him.  I know it's dumb, but again, soaps do this kind of thing and worse all the time.  Yes, yes, I know it's not a true soap, but...c'mon guys, it kinda is.

Also also, I could even see the dog kind of being symbolic.  I know the dog "actor" died, hence why Rip hasn't been seen, but there are other basset hounds in the world, and the storyline of Rip Van Winkle fits perfectly with the soapy amnesia plot.  Jack was "asleep" for two-ish years, then wakes up to find Elizabeth involved with another guy, and drama ensues.  

I don't know if I consider myself a watcher at this point, I don't think I'll watch without J&E, I'll just end my flu weekend with assuming the wedding episode was it, but if they can entice Daniel back to fill the Lori Loughlin void (and from what I gather from this forum she had kind of taken over the show so that'll be a massive void) for a season or even just part of a season, I'll tune in.  Could be fun to watch him square off with hot saloon guy.  Other mountie guy doesn't stand a chance...it would make no sense for Elizabeth to get together with a mountie after she spent years worrying about her mountie beau/husband and then finally having those fears come true.

Anywho, sorry for the long post.  I had five years of Heart to post about. :-)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I had five years of Heart to post about. :-)

Yup it was a shock to those of us who were there from day 1. Still a shock. Not watching season 6 but still linked to all the posts.

What is so funny is that it seems the people that are watching it now, don't seem to even remember season 1-5, the character Elizabeth seems to be moving on in less than 18 months after her soulmate died. 

We have people that don't even remember that Elizabeth and Abigail used to live together in the rooms above the cafe on this feed. 

Everyone seems to be cheering Elizabeth on to having any new men on the show she wants. Just too sad. Elizabeth has been abandon by all family members, her son is pawned off on any available town person while she is off teaching, and she is flirting with every new man that comes to town. Their son won't even know his dad or for that matter any of their family. Too unbelievable but that is where we are now. Well, where they are now. 

My reality for this show is that it ended at the wedding and Jack and Elizabeth are out there in the Northern territories, playing with their baby and living a happy life. That is the Hallmark way, not what Bird and LL did to this show. It's all too tragic, horrible and now with LL gone...bring Jack back! 

2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

but there are other basset hounds in the world, and the storyline of Rip Van Winkle fits perfectly with the soapy amnesia plot.  Jack was "asleep" for two-ish years, then wakes up to find Elizabeth involved with another guy, and drama ensues.  

This would be such a great story line, there are other actors that could have played Jack as well! but I'm sure they will just make Elizabeth move on and force her little boy to never get to know his dad. I can't see anyone who has been with this show from the start can keep watching, it's so horrible. There is no more true love, Elizabeth has moved on. Heck, even Jack's mother who lost his Mountie Father never married because she understood what having a true love was. But nope, not Elizabeth, flirting in the street before Jack's baby is even 3 months old. horrible.

Elizabeth carries that baby around like a prop, every marketing pic is her mugging with the baby to please all the old "Hearties" women. Just too sad for me, so NOT Hallmark! 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

Not the character, as far as I know. 

Yup, the character just disappeared when the dog died. The loss of Jack's beloved dog was not even mentioned, no one seemed to cared just another "poof and gone" moment on a "suspend disbelief" show!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m guessing they’ll have a Christmas movie since they’ve had one for the last few years. That could tie up a few loose ends before the new season. I really wish they would do a seasonal movie outside of Christmas following the regular season (spring, summer or fall/harvest) since there is usually such a large gap between seasons and they’re so short. 

They really need to bring in a matriarch type character around Bill or Henry’s age. That is where Abigail’s absence was really felt this season. Outside of the one older lady who works with Fiona at the switchboard, there really isn’t anyone in that age bracket. 

I’m not putting anything into Elizabeth dancing with Lucas. I think it was more of he was in the right place at the right time. She saw him first and asked him to dance as opposed to seeking him out. She could just have easily asked Nathan if she had seen him first. I was amused that they were both bested by Carson during their pissing contest (pardon the language) over the fishing pole. 

They were trying too hard with Lee and Rosemary. They’re obviously going to adopt a child. I was surprised that they didn’t find the missing boy and then decide they were so bonded that they should adopt him (or the boy ask if he could stay in Hope Valley and the Coulters deciding to invite him to stay with them). 

That's what I thought they were going to do with the boy which is why he and Grace arrived in town. Just as their wanting kids and thinking they can't have kids. But then they didn't bond at all with him which is odd for two people who supposedly want kids. Then they never once even talk about adoption. I really thought with the boy or their talk at the end would have them talking about adoption. Its really odd that it didn't come up. So they want kids, but don't think they can have them, and don't consider adoption despite knowing about Grace, her sister and their home full of orphans. Its weird and we have no real reason as to why they haven't even discussed it. I know adoption isn't forever one but they haven't discussed nor is their any reason why either one would be against adoption. They love kids, have no problem helping out various kids around town , love Jack, and have the money to do so. And yet neither one has suggested it.   

18 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Anywho, sorry for the long post.  I had five years of Heart to post about. 🙂

I did the same thing last year, watched 4 seasons over the course of a week.

I still haven't watched the season 5 finale I don't watch this show for tragedy, so there was no way I was going to watch everyone mourn Jack.  I also didn't watch the end of the episode before because I knew it was coming.  Also skipped the 2018 Christmas special just in case they talked more about it, I didn't love that they made Elizabeth pregnant either considering they'd been married all of 2 weeks before they were separated.

Skipping those episodes has made it a lot easier to watch this season, however cobbled together it was by having to take Lori out (I think they should've left her in, the season was already shot by the time the news broke).  

I think the real issue is, they wanted to keep the show going beyond season 6 and they couldn't drag out the will they/won't they with their main characters any longer.  They needed Elizabeth to be single again because people are tuning in for romance and romance on tv, especially Hallmark means, dating, engagement and wedding, not married life.  None of the Hallmark movies have sequels where we see the couple married with kids.  Viewers want a fantasy, and now its Elizabeth gets to start over and here are two potential new guys to date!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Hallmark means, dating, engagement and wedding, not married life. 

Yes, I get that. But what they did to Elizabeth and Jack is unforgivable. And after watching for 5 years, I have had to stop. 

It could have ended with Jack and Elizabeth going on to the Northern Territories together and then the spin off show for all the 'other' characters.

Why watch now? If people are entertained with sad endings, and continue to watch after what they did to Jack and Elizabeth, makes me believe they will do this over and over, not what I watch Hallmark for. 

• Love 3

I do feel this show was hijacked by Brian Bird and LL, forcing the white, christian perspective and he used that to sell the sad ending of Jack and Elizabeth. The whole Jack Jr. being born on their Christmas show like he was Jesus left such a sour taste in my mouth. I tried to watch but I could not. 

Now it's like Jack never existed. How can anyone go back and watch season's 1-5 and not feel betrayed by the image of the Hallmark happy ending? Elizabeth is now a player with two men? She is now a women who's 'chalk dust to eternity' was a very short trip, she has moved on even as she still has an infant? 

Perhaps if I just started watching now I could have liked this show but it's all too much for me.

But I guess I am truly in the minority; not white, not Christian, happily married for 31 years to my soulmate and still upset that Hallmark ruined my old favorite show.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, free2think said:

Yes, I get that. But what they did to Elizabeth and Jack is unforgivable. And after watching for 5 years, I have had to stop. 

It could have ended with Jack and Elizabeth going on to the Northern Territories together and then the spin off show for all the 'other' characters.

Why watch now? If people are entertained with sad endings, and continue to watch after what they did to Jack and Elizabeth, makes me believe they will do this over and over, not what I watch Hallmark for. 

ITA.  I haven't watched any of Season 6 and won't -- the lifeblood of this show was J&E.  If Dan wanted to leave but Erin didn't, and they wanted to keep going, they should have recast or sent him away indefinitely and had him only come back for occasional appearances.  That way he's not stuck to a contract, he just shows up, does some work, collects a paycheck, and leaves.

Yes, people are watching for romance.  But they're also watching for True Love (TM), as corny as that sounds.  And on-screen chemistry like these two had is rare.  People want to see a show where intense love stands the test of all things.  This isn't Game of Thrones, we don't want gritty realism in this, we're not watching to see love stories and wonderful lives cruelly and coldly interrupted by tragedy.  And I'm just not interested in watching childish flirtation when we had soulmates.  It's not the same, and never will be.

It sounds like the show has reached its natural conclusion.  You can't drag things out forever; sooner or later, stories need to wrap up.  They're milking this thing dry and it sounds like it shows.  Dangle the fact that LL is out of the picture (literally) in front of Dan, along with a nice big paycheck and reassurances that there's no contract, it's only one season, and I bet he'd come back to tie up loose ends and give his character a more satisfying ending.     

• Love 5

I watched Season 6 and honestly I'm not sure why. I was wondering that while I watched the finale yesterday. The first 5 seasons I was watching for Elizabeth and Jack. I loved watching Elizabeth adjusting to Hope Valley, and the two falling in love. It was such a long wait for them to be married. Only to never see them being married. They killed him off. I got all caught up just before the college scandal broke. As much as I liked Abigail in the beginning I hated how she pretty much took over the show. Instead of being equal or balancing different storylines is was Abigail at the front and everyone else getting what they could get. The more she got the less I liked her by the season 5 final I really hated her. She was on all the time. While we barely got any scenes between Elizabeth and Jack, Lee and Rosemary, and other characters. She really took a lot of time away from them and it hurt their characters.

With her gone. Its nice that others are getting more screen time. But for what? Elizabeth's a widow. Jack hasn't been gone very long in the show but she's already got two guys interested in her. She really hasn't been that good of friend to Rosemary. The episode where she kept canceling on Rosemary, its clear Rosemary really needs it but Elizabeth never really picks up on it. They destroyed Elizabeth and Jack's story. I'm not really interested in seeing Elizabeth dating one or two men. If she ends up with Nathan its really not a great story. She just marries another Mountie. 

Its great seeing Rosemary and Lee, but what are they doing? They probably don't have kids because the writers forgot being so busy writing a million stories for Abigail. What are they doing? Are they having fertility problems? They talked about it once and that's it. Do they want to adopt? If not then why? It makes no sense they haven't adopted a kid or two by now given how long they've been married. Plus they have the money. So why haven't they? Why haven't they built a house? They don't have to build one but they haven't really explained why they haven't. I think they are the ones I'm watching mostly for.  

Jesse finally proposed to Clara, a few seasons ago I probably would have been interested but they've been dating for so long that it really isn't. I don't really like Jesse. I'm neutral on Clara. The two just seem there. I don't know why they haven't married before now. Same with Carson and Faith, yeah they seemed nice but just there. I like Fiona but she's just been there too without a real story. They've really been shorted on all their stories and its really hurt them. 

Elizabeth and Jack were the main reason I watched the show but also in the beginning it was really more interesting. Watching the women dealing with the loss of their husbands and so many deaths in town, dealing with their children and trying to make it through in a time when it was really hard for women to do so. But all that went away.  

• Love 5

I also gave up on the show when I heard Jack died (I was a bit behind and just stopped once I heard the spoilers). Their relationship was really the main draw of the show for me, even when I enjoyed other characters.

Add the increasingly anachronistic hair/make-up/costumes certainly didn't help.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Elizabeth and Jack were the main reason I watched the show but also in the beginning it was really more interesting. Watching the women dealing with the loss of their husbands and so many deaths in town, dealing with their children and trying to make it through in a time when it was really hard for women to do so. But all that went away.  

I agree with this.  Early seasons had so much more nuance to them.  But you really could kind of tell at what point the show kind of went off the rails (and possibly Bird and Loughlin had a little too much influence?).  I think it was around the beginning of Season 4...which, coincidentally, it sounds like was the point when Dan decided he was done.  

It's such a shame.  This show had some really, really beautiful moments and character development.  There was so much that they could have done.  Elizabeth and Jack had so much more story to tell.  I don't agree that their story was done just because they had gotten married, there's worlds of stuff to cover after marriage, it's not the end of a story.  The town and the ensemble cast had so much potential as well.  And they squandered it in the name of Lori Loughlin's vanity, which is doubly tragic when you consider that she wound up not even being on the show one season later.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

And they squandered it in the name of Lori Loughlin's vanity, which is doubly tragic when you consider that she wound up not even being on the show one season later.

ITA! Such a waste.

And after all this I'm not happy at all with the actress Erin Krakow. She was given Executive Producer credit for season 6 after Dan left. I do think this was a pay off to make her stay on so Bird and LL could keep getting paid. She said in interviews that as EP of the show she could help Elizabeth's character stay true to Jack's memory. And she said Elizabeth this season was going to be all about her and the baby. But within the first couple shows she has Elizabeth flirting with the saloon owner in the street. Just seem disingenuous to me. 

In the WCTH fan base so many people just 'love' her and Bird, almost to the point of idol worship which just seems weird. When I did follow her on twitter, her page was all WCTH, she was all Lori and I are 'besties' then when the Lori scandal broke she goes dark. No comment on anything and then comes back up with the same trite 'happy' quotes taken from the show. I actual don't want to see her face on any show now, something just does not sit right with me.

24 minutes ago, free2think said:

ITA! Such a waste.

And after all this I'm not happy at all with the actress Erin Krakow. She was given Executive Producer credit for season 6 after Dan left. I do think this was a pay off to make her stay on so Bird and LL could keep getting paid. She said in interviews that as EP of the show she could help Elizabeth's character stay true to Jack's memory. And she said Elizabeth this season was going to be all about her and the baby. But within the first couple shows she has Elizabeth flirting with the saloon owner in the street. Just seem disingenuous to me. 

In the WCTH fan base so many people just 'love' her and Bird, almost to the point of idol worship which just seems weird. When I did follow her on twitter, her page was all WCTH, she was all Lori and I are 'besties' then when the Lori scandal broke she goes dark. No comment on anything and then comes back up with the same trite 'happy' quotes taken from the show. I actual don't want to see her face on any show now, something just does not sit right with me.

I'm not familiar with her Twitter or other social media, but I will say this: anyone who was a contributing factor to Dan's leaving is a huge problem.  The show is doomed and I think most people know it.  Erin seems to be holding on with her fingernails because it's a starring role with still lots (albeit fewer) of adoring fans and she's 35 in a town that isn't kind to women over 35.  Deep down I think she knows there's no show without E&J.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, maybe we're completely over analyzing this, maybe this really was just about Dan wanting more creative freedom and the ability to move on to other projects.  But, I'm dubious, that's all I can say.  He's not a big name actor.  I read an interview where he said himself, before WCTH he was performing in bars.  Acting is a tough job, Hollywood is filled with attractive men, he's 37 (men have an age limit too in Hollywood), and for him to walk away from a steady paycheck in a starring role that he seemed to otherwise enjoy, the culture must have been pretty bad.  I'm guessing intense morality clause + he got sick of the LL/Brian Bird show and being relegated to a background character.  There seems like there's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be a fire.

• Love 6

I don’t see Elizabeth flirting with Lucas or Mountie Whatsisname, exactly. I see some glimmerings of interest, maybe, but not flirting. A year after her husband’s death it doesn’t seem that weird for men to be noticing an attractive young widow. 

True, If we were going to be strict about the time period, she should still be in black and certainly not attending dances. My beef isn’t the apparent accelerated mourning. It’s that there’s a freaking giant war going on that no one is acknowledging.

• Love 5