Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, free2think said:

Why is everyone so OK with recasting Abigail but not Jack in the Twitter-sphere? 

Heard some people say Hallmark wanted to let Lissing go because his off-screen persona wasn't clean. If I had to guess, I personally think they felt having Elizabeth become a single mother would make her character more empowered and relatable to feminist viewers. That's just the way things are done these days--daddy/husband is no longer a necessary part of family life. Women can (and should) do it all on their own. Sigh!

Oh well, in the absence of WCTH tonight, I found myself watching season 2 episode 3 of the old "Christy" series with Kellie Martin. David proposed to Christy the school teacher (reminded of Jack and Elizabeth). Christy seems to be slightly interested in the doctor (reminds me of Elizabeth's ex-beua Charles ). Alice Henderson, the quaker who just about runs the town, reminds me of Abigail Stanton.  And on the next expisode David's big-city girlfriend returns to fan their old flames (reminds me of Rosemary). I guess I really must be having WCTH withdrawals. 

Edited by Red30
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, free2think said:

Ya right after they killed Jack, on Twitter LL, BB and Candace Bure where telling fans if they did not just go along with the story they were not true fans. Telling fans if they don’t watch they would be responsible for people loosing jobs etc. calling us ungrateful for all they had done “for us” and in some cases quoting scripture to passify what was done.

I remember seeing Candace Bure replying on instagram with that and I found that to be odd and rude. 

I def think lissing was pushed out by LL. She wanted to be the star. 

• Love 2

I have a solution.  Didn't Jack die in a rock slide or something like that?  Maybe his body was so badly crushed that it couldn't be identified.  Someone else died and is buried in Jack's grave.  Meanwhile the real Jack was held hostage in the Northern Territories.  He someone escaped and made his way to a telephone.  He called Abigail's so she could get word to Elizabeth that he's still alive.  Abigail, in her haste to get to Elizabeth, runs out of her cafe and gets struck by Cody and his friends who are riding their bikes down the main street.  Abigail dies. Jack lives.  And we move forward from there.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I have a solution.  Didn't Jack die in a rock slide or something like that?  Maybe his body was so badly crushed that it couldn't be identified.  Someone else died and is buried in Jack's grave.  Meanwhile the real Jack was held hostage in the Northern Territories.  He someone escaped and made his way to a telephone.  He called Abigail's so she could get word to Elizabeth that he's still alive.  Abigail, in her haste to get to Elizabeth, runs out of her cafe and gets struck by Cody and his friends who are riding their bikes down the main street.  Abigail dies. Jack lives.  And we move forward from there.

That is a great scenario!  Especially the part about Cody and his friends running down Abigail!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I have a solution.  Didn't Jack die in a rock slide or something like that?  Maybe his body was so badly crushed that it couldn't be identified.  Someone else died and is buried in Jack's grave.  Meanwhile the real Jack was held hostage in the Northern Territories.  He someone escaped

This is the same scenario I came up with. But instead of having Abigail get struck/killed by Cody, it should be one of the drunken customers at the new rowdy saloon who mounted his horse (or wagon) and plowed her down. This would be a good way to introduce the topic of "drinking and driving." Additionally, the accident could damage Abigail's face to the point that, once the swelling subsides, she will never look the same (hence, recast her role)  I sure hope someone from Hallmark is reading these comments...lol.

Edited by Red30
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Red30 said:

Elizabeth become a single mother would make her character more empowered and relatable to feminist viewers.

I had no idea Hallmark even wanted to cater to the feminist movement? I think they did it...well you know what I think and it has not panned out well for WCTH or Hallmark.

7 hours ago, Ali1313 said:

Candace Bure replying on instagram with that and I found that to be odd and rude. 

Yes, I saw that too. I mean I was all in, Twitter,Instagram, FB, google, I followed all the characters and the show. After they killed Jack it was so painful to even open any social media, took me weeks to get rid of everything WCTH from popping up on me feeds. Now if I want to know I look it up, I don't follow or get notifications.

6 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I have a solution.  Didn't Jack die in a rock slide or something like that?  Maybe his body was so badly crushed that it couldn't be identified.  Someone else died and is buried in Jack's grave.

I proposed something like this way back when.  That Jack was badly injured and couldn't get back to Elizabeth and someone else was mis-identified as him because of the Mountie uniform.  Maybe he had amnesia or wasn't able to talk to tell his carers who he was, but now he's healed and has his memory back or whatever.  Hey, it works on soaps. and I think those of us who want our old show back would gladly turn a blind eye to any inconsistencies in the interests of getting back the show we loved.  I'm not even a huge Lissing fan, but he and Erin definitely brought the feels, and that's why I watched the show (which I only discovered in the first place because I have a crush on Kavan Smith and found out he was on the show.  

Also, it seems like a lot of the hair and costuming went south the more power Lori seemed to have, so maybe the costumes and hair will get better without her there.  

• Love 1

So I guess I started following this WCTH forum after it was revealed, but I didn't realize most people felt it was LL who squeezed Daniel Lissing out. I am not a naive person (understatement of the year) but I seriously bought into LL's whole celebrity persona of being humble, kind, etc. I mean, c'mon...she was Aunt Becky!!!!

All that being said, if she really was the reason he left the show w/no other projects in the works, maybe Hallmark will consider bringing him back. Think  about it - how better to get viewers' attention and loyalty back?

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I don't want to be obtuse, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. What is that from?

I just went to the Hallmark main page and WCTH isn't listed, but if you search for it you do find the main page for the show.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/when-calls-the-heart

I notice, though, that Lori is not anywhere on any of the images.

5 hours ago, llewis823 said:

Hallmark or WCTH facebook page had the new images with LL scrubbed from them on Saturday I think it was. Maybe Sunday. So not sure where these ones came from.

It’s a screenshot taken from the XFINITY Stream website and the reason I said uh oh was because the show isn’t listed on there anymore.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It’s a screenshot taken from the XFINITY Stream website and the reason I said uh oh was because the show isn’t listed on there anymore.

Ah, I see.  Yes, they pulled the show. That's what they said they were going to do a few days ago. They're re-tooling it. I can't wait to see whether they recast Abigail or kill her off.

They also removed all of her Garage Sale Mysteries.  She's being scrubbed from the network completely.

I'm starting to wonder if she was a pain to work with but they felt like they needed to keep her happy because she was popular. Once she became unpopular with the public they have no reason to bend to her demands (speculation).

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, magpye29 said:

it works on soaps. and I think those of us who want our old show back would gladly turn a blind eye to any inconsistencies in the interests of getting back the show we loved

I'm certainly willing to. It would make for an interest season to see Jack and Elizabeth fall in love again once his memory begins returning slowly.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, llewis823 said:

So I guess I started following this WCTH forum after it was revealed, but I didn't realize most people felt it was LL who squeezed Daniel Lissing out. I am not a naive person (understatement of the year) but I seriously bought into LL's whole celebrity persona of being humble, kind, etc. I mean, c'mon...she was Aunt Becky!!!!

When it comes to what I call "Hollywood Christians" I take them all with a grain of salt. Which ever way the wind blows them, they will go,  I never thought Lori was humble and kind. However, I thought she believed in old fashioned values and wanted to do her part in bringing back quality television programming.

Edited by Red30
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Red30 said:

Got this off Hallmark official Facebook page. It was posted 20 minutes ago.

Yes, this was the same thing Bird said. They really know how to market, this show. There are some zealots who really believe the "We love you" is a personal statement. But remember Lori said the same thing, this is a business, and the will do and say anything to keep viewers. This is such a train wreck.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

Ah, I see.  Yes, they pulled the show. That's what they said they were going to do a few days ago. They're re-tooling it. I can't wait to see whether they recast Abigail or kill her off.

They also removed all of her Garage Sale Mysteries.  She's being scrubbed from the network completely.

I'm starting to wonder if she was a pain to work with but they felt like they needed to keep her happy because she was popular. Once she became unpopular with the public they have no reason to bend to her demands (speculation).

It's weird that when I checked yesterday, her images were still on the XFINITY Stream website along with some of the Garage Sale Mysteries being available to rent or purchase.

8 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It's weird that when I checked yesterday, her images were still on the XFINITY Stream website along with some of the Garage Sale Mysteries being available to rent or purchase.

I don't think that they will do anything with older seasons of WCTH or any other show she was on with Hallmark. Netflix has Seasons 1-5 so I just think they are removing her from anything that is newly in production or un-aired. So even though WCTH was wrapped production in Nov. 2018, only 4 of the 11 episodes have aired so they have just stopped distributing S6 . 

I'm not sure what happens to the poor folks who bought the WCTH season pass for S6 on Amazon or other streaming service. I know you had to plunk down like $30 or so for each season then you get to watch any already aired episodes and get new episodes a day after original airing. I'm not sure if those folks will get their money back or what will happen. They may be screwed.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, free2think said:

I'm not sure if those folks will get their money back or what will happen.

Give money back? Never!!! Hallmark  is already getting a sizable amount of negative publicity. I think they will probably make good on the rest of season  6 even if they plan to cancel next year. 

7 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Wonder what’s going to happen with Lori's character.

So, doesn't annoying Cody have a sister who is off studying medicine? Am I remembering this right? Maybe Abigail and Cody will have to pack up and leave town for some emergency having to do with the seldom seen sister and they never return. It seems like Abigail will have suddenly had to leave town or she will have been killed off. They killed off Jack, so I am wondering if they will go for the--she suddenly had to leave town option. 

• Love 2

They could have her run to wherever Pastor Frank went.  They were sort of a thing, weren't they?   Maybe they work things out off camera, and she and Cody move to wherever his church is.

2 minutes ago, izabella said:

They could have her run to wherever Pastor Frank went.  They were sort of a thing, weren't they?   Maybe they work things out off camera, and she and Cody move to wherever his church is.

That's true. I forgot about him. They will have her disappear somewhere. I just hope she takes Cody. She could even take cody's friend too. I can't remember his name. Robert? He is also annoying.

I have no great love for Cody, but I would feel bad for the young actor if he lost that job through no fault of his own (and no organic story reason). Especially for whatever he already filmed for this season. I would just have him stay with his sister-in-law or whatever she would be considered (I can't even remember her name right now).

Although no name was given Lori's spokesperson ("a source") is emerging and speaking on her behalf in an online interview.  She said that when Lori tried to help her daughters she “truly believed her heart was in the right place...Her intentions were pure...In [Lori’s] mind, the end result made everything she had to do worth it,” the source tells Us. “And she really didn’t even see it as being a huge deal...They haven’t fully grasped the extent of their alleged crimes or the possibility of prison time,” the insider said. 

I would really like to hear her make her apologies to the public herself.  It would make me believe that she was truly sorry for what she did.

You can read the interview at:

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/03/20/lori-loughlin-believed-her-heart-was-in-right-place-helping-her-daughters/23697016/

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Gee, so her intentions were pure when she had her kids dress up in rowing clothes and pose by rowing machines? That seems pure and innocent, doesn't it? OMG. And she looked defiant and non-remorseful in the courtroom, so I am not buying one work of this article. Is this their first attempt at damage control? The husband was having a shouting match in the hallway with the high school counselor. Was that screaming match also full of pure and good intentions? Lori wrote to the scam guy and said she didn't want their "little friend" (aka school counselor) to find out about their wheelings and dealings. I guess I don't understand what "pure" means. The next thing that will come out is that Lori "didn't really understand" what she was doing. They will try to intimate that she is as dumb as the daughters and this was all an innocent mistake.

• Love 15

I'm sure Lori and the rest will get sweet plea deals and will never see a moment of jail.  She might have to worry about the tax fraud, though that will likely  just be a fine.  The rich rarely get thrown in jail for their crimes, so I'm sure Lori will come out of this a little lighter in her pocketbook but that's about it, legally, and she and her husband can afford it, so that's not a big deal.  That's one of the reasons I'm glad Hallmark dumped her.  That's the only significant consequence she will see.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Pickles said:

They will try to intimate that she is as dumb as the daughters and this was all an innocent mistake.

Actually, the daughters are not so dumb. They were focused enough to use YouTube in a way that made money for themselves. Not many teens have the gumption enough to take a social media platform and earn a living. I think I read that those girls had in excess of 1.9 million subscribers in which they earn (after You tube's cut)  something like $1 per subscriber. That's about a million dollars. But now Lori has messed that up for them. She should have just let the girls get this Hollywood mentality out of their heads (they were raised that way) and let them go to college whenever they would appreciate it and were mature enough to work for it. Ironically, this whole situation with the girls losing endorsements and having Hollywood turn on them could be just the thing needed to show them how quick life changes and how much a solid education is needed. 

Edited by Red30
Just now, izabella said:

I'm sure Lori and the rest will get sweet plea deals and will never see a moment of jail.  She might have to worry about the tax fraud, though that will likely  just be a fine.  The rich rarely get thrown in jail for their crimes, so I'm sure Lori will come out of this a little lighter in her pocketbook but that's about it.

I think that locking her up isn't really what will make her learn from her actions. The punishment should be tailored to fit the crime. She threw her money around to break the law, so now she should be required to throw it towards paying  millions in fines.  Only money (or the lack of it) is what people of  Hollyweird understand.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Red30 said:

I think that locking her up isn't really what will make her learn from her actions. The punishment should be tailored to fit the crime. She threw her money around to break the law, so now she should be required to throw it towards paying  millions in fines.  Only money (or the lack of it) is what people of  Hollyweird understand.

They will be paying a fortune in attorney fees. That could go on for years. Now, regular parents are filing lawsuits against the colleges and Huffman and Lori, because their kids took spots from other students. So, they will be entangled with lawyers and lawsuits for a long, long time. Big $$ flowing out. 

I bet Lori regrets jeopardizing her entire Hallmark career and then, also, her daughter's "influencer" career. She should have let the daughters skip college, continue with the social media stuff and who cares? Instead, she was trying to buy a prestigious diploma for each of the daughters. She must be really hung up on prestige and status. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

She must be really hung up on prestige and status. 

Understatement of the year! That is all this was about, status, bragging rights, making herself look good. She did not listen to either of her daughters as to what they wanted to do, they really did not want to attend college. This was all her and her husband. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, redpencil said:

I have no great love for Cody

lol. Why does everyone dislike this character so much? I have not read one positive thing about Cody since creating my account 2 or 3 weeks ago.

47 minutes ago, Red30 said:

lol. Why does everyone dislike this character so much? I have not read one positive thing about Cody since creating my account 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Have you watched the show? Lol. He is just supremely annoying, in my opinion. In some episodes, he gets too much air time for my viewing pleasure. 🙂

I should add, I am not a big fan of children on shows. 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Have you watched the show? Lol. He is just supremely annoying, in my opinion. In some episodes, he gets too much air time for my viewing pleasure. 🙂

I should add, I am not a big fan of children on shows.

Lol. Yeah I've watched the show and think giving Elizabeth a homeless child to adopt was just a logical choice considering her own child and husband died. I will admit that I don't like fresh-mouthed kids on shows either and in the beginning Cody's attitude was disrespectful. But I guess it represented him acting out because he was hurt, scared, and alone. I think he's maturing quite nicely though. Since the show is about a schoolteacher, I expect that there will always be lots of children on the show. 

Seems like people are betting on Abigail's character being recast. Here is an interesting article that appeared yesterday  on the website International Business Times." 

"Will ‘When Calls The Heart’ Recast Lori Loughlin? 10 Possible Abigail Replacements"

https://www.ibtimes.com/will-when-calls-heart-recast-lori-loughlin-10-possible-abigail-replacements-2778202

10 Possible Replacements for Abigail

Anne Heche

Teri Polo

Kari Matchett

Lea Thompson

Julie Benz

Courtney Thorne-Smith

Daphne Zuniga

Kelly Rutherford

Kimberly Williams-Paisley

Andie MacDowell

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Nurse Faith has a pretty good role on Supergirl. She plays Eve Teschmacher.

Ya, I think this was brought up way back when the excuse for Daniel Lissing leaving was that he had other projects that he wanted to do. Many, if not most, of the cast had lots of other side projects, if the show wants to keep you they work with your schedule, that's how it works most of the time. She has been on Supergirl for a couple of seasons now and the role was always going to turn "evil" based on everything we know about the Superman universe. Right now the only actor that Hallmark seems to have "reserved" is the Elizabeth character actor. I'm sure they have her on morality clause lock down right now. In twitterdom, there are fanatical fans that actually believe Erin is Elizabeth and that she must be "missing" her bestie Lori. I'm sure Erin Krakow is really feeling the pressure to keep up this persona and I hope Hallmark is paying her well to do it!

• Love 3
On 3/21/2019 at 9:22 PM, Red30 said:

I haven't minded him in the first couple of episodes this season.  But he's sort of super annoying.  He isn't a particularly gifted actor even among the kid set and for a while immediately after his coming to town he got a HUGE amount of screen time.   I don't need Cody to leave the show but I have no desire at all to have this show be the Cody grieves for anything or anybody show.  Not here for that.  Nope.   Not even a little bit.  

• Love 3
On 3/18/2019 at 2:54 PM, ShelleySue said:

OR Abigail dashes out into the street and is run over by Rosemary driving that new-fangled car! How to deal with that one. Rosemary in the pokey?  

I wish Jack lived, but I'm not sure they could entice him back into the role. Seriously.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:32 PM, magpye29 said:

Also, it seems like a lot of the hair and costuming went south the more power Lori seemed to have, so maybe the costumes and hair will get better without her there.  

Hmm. You've got a point. I couldn't figure out why I'm still watching (technically, hate-watching) anymore. Went back and watched the first episode. It was gritty. There was dirt and mud and coal dust. The dresses were handmade. The women wore their hair up with hats. The men wore hats when they weren't wearing miners' helmets. No one was making out in the street. The story between Elizabeth and Jack was front and center. I loved that first season and it just kept going downhill (a proud Hallmark tradition) each subsequent season.

The suggestions for Abigail replacement? I don't think Anne Heche could tolerate the Morality Clause, given her past history of, well, everything! Mostly using people. Definitely not Hallmark material. Another deal breaker for me is Andie McDowell. Really? Irritating, can't act, plays the same character over and over. Dud!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

The suggestions for Abigail replacement? I don't think Anne Heche could tolerate the Morality Clause, given her past history of, well, everything!

Agreed! BUT wasn't Anne Heche already in a couple of Hallmark Christmas movies: "Looks Like Christmas" and "One Christmas Eve"?

Edited by Red30
On 3/22/2019 at 4:29 AM, Red30 said:

Seems like people are betting on Abigail's character being recast. Here is an interesting article that appeared yesterday  on the website International Business Times." 

"Will ‘When Calls The Heart’ Recast Lori Loughlin? 10 Possible Abigail Replacements"

https://www.ibtimes.com/will-when-calls-heart-recast-lori-loughlin-10-possible-abigail-replacements-2778202

10 Possible Replacements for Abigail

Anne Heche

Teri Polo

Kari Matchett

Lea Thompson

Julie Benz

Courtney Thorne-Smith

Daphne Zuniga

Kelly Rutherford

Kimberly Williams-Paisley

Andie MacDowell

If I had to choose anyone from this list, I’d go with Kimberly Williams Paisley or her sister Ashley. I can’t see any of the other actors in the role. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I can’t see any of the other actors in the role.

The only person I could see who's been successful at play period dramas, and who could pull it off, is Jayne Seymour: Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman. And she has a pretty clean image as well. However, she'd have to mask the English accent or either work it into the roll so that it's more of a Canadian/English accent.

Bob Saget Breaks Silence

Standing by Becky. Bob Saget broke his silence about Fuller Housecostar Lori Loughlin’s college admissions scandal to reporters after leaving Ava restaurant in Beverly Hills on Thursday, March 28.

'Full House' Stars: Then and Now!

“You know, I usually don’t do interviews on the street, but, uh, you know, you love who you love in your life,” he replied when TMZ asked if the Surviving Suburbia alum, 62, was still in Loughlin’s corner. “I just love who I love. Candace [Cameron-Bure] said it really good at the Kids’ Choice Awards — you love who you love. … Life’s complicated. I don’t like talking about it,” he admitted.

Also....

First Pics of Lori and Husband Since Posting Bail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6863455/Lori-Loughlin-husband-pictured-time-college-bribery-scandal.html

Edited by Red30
1 hour ago, Red30 said:

First Pics of Lori and Husband Since Posting Bail

OK, A.) her husband is smoking hot; and B.) I need to find out what brand of jeans she's wearing since they're low rise and I can't find low rise jeans anywhere anymore. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:13 AM, Stacey1014 said:

I’m not sure if it has been mentioned before, but the actress who plays Nurse Faith has a pretty good role on Supergirl. She plays Eve Teschmacher. 

On 3/23/2019 at 1:10 PM, free2think said:

Ya, I think this was brought up way back when the excuse for Daniel Lissing leaving was that he had other projects that he wanted to do. Many, if not most, of the cast had lots of other side projects, if the show wants to keep you they work with your schedule, that's how it works most of the time. She has been on Supergirl for a couple of seasons now ...

It took me an EMBARRASSINGLY long time to connect that Henry is also Sheriff Keller on Riverdale.

• Love 2

How long are we going to have to wait before we see the rest of the season?

They need to burn off the rest of the season and then make the changes they want to make. They can always have run over by a buggy or something like they used to do when some girl was going to marry one of the Cartwrights on Bonanza.

• LOL 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, langford peel said:

They can always have run over by a buggy or something like they used to do when some girl was going to marry one of the Cartwrights on Bonanza.

Lol. True!

"They need to burn off the rest of the season and then make the changes they want to make."

This is what most fans suggested. I tell ya, I'm about to the point where I really don't care anymore.

Edited by Red30
  • Love 6