Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

As a viewer in South Africa I was really looking forward to the costumes etc, but while watching the show I am irritated at the inaccuracies of the 'period piece'. The hair styles, the wardrobe and how women are treated as equals. Back then women did not have a say in things. I think this inaccuracy is the worst. As women we struggle for equal rights in 2017! I can't understand why the producers have not taken heed of these comments (after all, are we not the viewers who can make a show a success or a failure) ? I have to ask the question how does one correct this huge error without completely changing the show. I want to see how things were really back then. 

Edited by Welly
23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Watching the Christmas special. Elizabeth's big, long wig is very wig like looking. Distracting.

I wasn't sure what was bothering me about Elizabeth and started to wonder if she is one of the reasons, I haven't been all that interested in the show.  Her hair is distracting this episode as well as her long, sad face the last few episodes.

Daniel Lissing's character seems very subdued so far.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, Pickles said:

Watching the Christmas special. Elizabeth's big, long wig is very wig like looking. Distracting.

Thank you.  It was driving me crazy.   And Abigail's highlighted hair as well.  

And I totally agree about Abigail and Henry's chemistry.  They will be the reason I tune in come February.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Thank you.  It was driving me crazy.   And Abigail's highlighted hair as well.  

And I totally agree about Abigail and Henry's chemistry.  They will be the reason I tune in come February.

I am totally shipping Abigail and Henry. I didn’t even miss the preacher guy she’s supposed to be dating. 

Am I the only one who is surprised that there isn’t a Rosemary/Lee baby yet?  

I enjoyed the movie. If they ever decide to cancel the weekly series, I would be fine with 2-3 movies each year to continue the story. 

• Love 3

I didn't miss the preacher guy either.  The nurse was also missing and I would like to see her back during the regular season. 

I read a little about the suffrage movement this morning. It began in the latter part of the 1800's with women getting he right to vote starting in 1910 in some western states. It lost some steam during the Civil War but came back afterwards.  I also looked at pictures from 1900s as the show may be occurring in the early 1900s. It isn't unrealistic for women to take the lead and there are family stories about one of my Great Grandmother's who was a dominant personality within the family.

However, the show is far too modern for a small, poor town in the early 1900s.  Women during that time would have had their hair pinned up even those in late teens and early 20s.   The hair of young girls would have been down or in braids.  The clothes look to be more like those for rich people living in larger more progressive towns or maybe a couple decades ahead of the actual time frame for how people would dress in everyday life.  Clothes would have been washed and ironed by hand.  They would have to be worn longer and likely darker to keep dirt from showing. 

It is too late for a more realistic representation, but I would like to see better story lines.

I loved the first season always predictable but in an interesting way- did not care for 2nd season liked season 3 thought season 4 was mediocre at best - and unwatchable at the last part of season .... I tried to watch the Christmas movie yesterday .. was painful to watch .. there were no surprises..I never really watch anything Hallmark .. but I found show on  Netflix a year ago when I was sick -  and I was surprised that I actually liked the show because it is not my usual genre.. I am more of a Scandal or AMC show type person.  This last movie I  predicted every single plot line out come as soon as they were introduced on the movie.. as I am sure 99% of the viewing audience did .. I watched the whole movie hoping it would get better .. since I’m strangely invested in this train wreck show.. I’ll record the season 5 and fast forward through the dull scenes which means it might take me 5 minutes to watch..  I am  glad I found a place to hate watch it and make comments because anyone who responds with negative criticism on social media gets harsh tweets back from the fans.. 

• Love 1

My other question is .. how could someone even think about falling in love with the man who was basically responsible for the death of their husband and son? I understand forgiveness but an actual relationship? I could not do it ..

• Love 1

I just finished binge watching all 4 seasons plus the 2017 Christmas movie. Here's all my convoluted thoughts and opinions:

-The women's hair - too modern and colored. Would they have colored their hair? And if they did, I a pretty sure it would not have been highlighted back then. Plus the majority would have worn their hair up.

-The clothes - most pretty fancy for the "wild west" or the "frontier". 

-And how do these women who lost their husbands survive if they are not working like Abigail, etc?

-Why would they have fundraisers (like the carnival) if the people can't afford to just donate the money? How then can they afford the things that would make money at the carnival fundraiser? 

-I hate every part of Elizabeth's family and when any one of them or their house is on screen. Just makes me want to fast forward. Thankful there was no mention of them in season 4.

And one question - is there an "original movie" that aired before the tv show started? I heard talk of that in thread above but never heard of it.

• Love 1

Can we discuss how Carson basically stalked and harassed an old lady??  If she wanted to be left alone, you leave her alone - - you don’t come up with new and stupid ways of annoying her.  

I realize how little I missed Cody during the break but I”m glad Jack was back.  I was getting nervous that he had fled the coop.  Can’t say I’d blame him if he had...

• Love 1

I have loved three seasons of this show but now it palls.  Rosie is beyond irritating.  There is a fine line one must not cross if one wishes to retain audience.  I'm not sure why the modern language yet some old world values, modern hair and makeup yet period costume.  Be authentic or just get out of the business.

How in the world did Rosemary and Lee have modern electric Christmas lights in their house?!  Elizabeth next door is still using candles?

I wonder if they are setting up a Carson-Elizabeth-Jack triangle? Jack seemed jealous when Elizabeth and Carson were talking.

The chemistry on this show is crazy...Jack and Elizabeth's is too intense but I don't know how you take it down a notch at this point.  Abigail and Henry the crook?  I agree the preacher doesn't need to bother coming back.

Speaking of makeup, in the episode where Elizabeth has the girls over for a sleepover Rosemary asks if she’s “too late for the makeup and manicures.” There’s no way Elizabeth or the girls would even own makeup because they live in a frontier town and wearing makeup at that time was considered vulgar. Only stage actresses or prostitutes would have worn makeup at that time. And manicures? No nail polish existed and frontier people wouldn’t have cared about the shape of their nails. 

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 0:46 PM, llewis823 said:

And one question - is there an "original movie" that aired before the tv show started? I heard talk of that in thread above but never heard of it.

Yes, I saw it once on a rerun after the current series started, and liked the character of Elizabeth much more in the original movie.  I don't remember the male actor in the first movie but seem to recall that overall I liked that movie better. I don't recall the lead names. Perhaps you can find it by doing a search.

The male lead for the original movie is Stephen Amell (best known as "The Arrow"). The movie and the TV show are a little confusing. I think there are two Elizabeths in the family that become teachers? But I think Lori Louglin's character is the same?

Season 5 premieres on February 18:

Elizabeth's sister Julie visits Hope Valley in her quest to become a teacher; Lee is made acting Sheriff when Abigail and Bill leave town to testify in Gowen's trial; Carson has problems with a traveling tonic salesmen.

I can't possibly imagine someone having a problem with traveling tonic salesmen.

oi9873487t.png

I am SO glad to have read this thread. I'm home, sick with some wretched virus, and I decided to try out season 4. I was disappointed with season 3--even with making HUGE allowances for stupid hair, troweled-on makeup, and ridiculous clothes.) Honestly, LITTLE HOUSE was a WAY more realistic pioneer/frontier series. Characters often only had a few sets of clothes, wore hair appropriately, and worked hard. But WCTH? How many pristine winter coats with perfectly coordinated accessories does a frontier schoolteacher need?) But thanks to this thread, I know I can stop watching now! I don't care why Jack is gone, just that he's gone, so there's no need to follow any plot lines (especially since there's no hope Rosemary dies). The list so far is: insipid plotting, shovelfuls of makeup, daily showers, and modern conveniences. Let's add that in these times, NO respectable woman over 15 wears her hair like a little girl, long and curly down her back. I've edited this three times, keep thinking of stuff I hate.  Who pays for the fancy costumes in their plays? How do all the toys come out looking like they bought them at IKEA? Oh, and Elizabeth's handwriting is disgraceful. My mom went to a one-room schoolhouse in Iowa, and their handwriting was beautiful, one of the old skills.  So many, many, many things to hate. Thank you!  (Found this thread by searching for "why is when calls the heart so awful?"  . . . Yeah, I would kill Rosemary myself if I could.

Edited by AnotherJane
  • Love 1

In tonight's episode, Rosemary and Elizabeth were hanging out clothes. I had to laugh because Rosemary was hanging shirts by pinning them with clothes pins just below the collar.  We always hung them by the shirt tails because hanging by the top was more likely to stretch the tops or leave hanging marks.  I know that this is nit picking but someone should have noticed.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, sas616 said:

Another nitpick.  "On a break?"   Do you think they really used that term back in the early 1900's?  

I wondered about that too.  I doubt they used that term.

I didn't find the women's hair as distracting this episode. Lori L wore her hair pinned up with a few curls as part of the bun.  Erin K left her hair long but had a braid across the back and the girl who played her sister wore her hair up.  I've seen pictures of relatives from before 1930 and the females wore the same hair style (plain buns). Young girls and teens wore their hair down or braided.

Out of curiosity, I looked at pictures online from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Advertisements showed fancy hair pieces with curls that women added to their buns. I was surprised to find that a few women started to bob their hair before 1920 but they seemed to be from high society or actresses.

On 2/19/2018 at 7:33 PM, madfortv said:

I wondered about that too.  I doubt they used that term.

I didn't find the women's hair as distracting this episode. Lori L wore her hair pinned up with a few curls as part of the bun.  Erin K left her hair long but had a braid across the back and the girl who played her sister wore her hair up.  I've seen pictures of relatives from before 1930 and the females wore the same hair style (plain buns). Young girls and teens wore their hair down or braided.

Out of curiosity, I looked at pictures online from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Advertisements showed fancy hair pieces with curls that women added to their buns. I was surprised to find that a few women started to bob their hair before 1920 but they seemed to be from high society or actresses.

Well since the bob came in around that time, maybe they'll let Elizabeth get a haircut.  I'm not loving the wig Erin is wearing at all. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2018 at 7:34 PM, madfortv said:

In tonight's episode, Rosemary and Elizabeth were hanging out clothes. I had to laugh because Rosemary was hanging shirts by pinning them with clothes pins just below the collar.  We always hung them by the shirt tails because hanging by the top was more likely to stretch the tops or leave hanging marks.  I know that this is nit picking but someone should have noticed.

I noticed that  too. Made me  chuckle thinking how much fun those wrinkly shirts would be to iron with the old flatiron heated on the woodstove. No Permanent Press in the early 1900's. lol We always hung things to have the fewest wrinkles to deal with later.

So many things to nitpick on this show...but hey, I'm still watching (for now anyhow).

On 2/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, JenMD said:

Thanks, @sas616, that's what I figured might happen as he wasn't mentioned in the ep description.  I wish I knew what the deal was with Daniel Lissing.  I find Jack's continued absence such a strange writing choice.  

I guess as a Mountie, he wouldn't just be hanging around at home but would be "somewhere" where he is needed/assigned.  But it doesn't do much to help the story line.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, JenMD said:

Thanks, @sas616, that's what I figured might happen as he wasn't mentioned in the ep description.  I wish I knew what the deal was with Daniel Lissing.  I find Jack's continued absence such a strange writing choice.  

Something is obviously going on though because it's not like he's acting in other things.  Why take your male lead away for half of two seasons?  It makes no sense.

The date is August 1915 on the show apparently Jack was gone for 14 months.  According to episode descriptions, Jack will only be in a few episodes this season (again).  What the heck has happened?  He was in half the episodes last season and now the same this season?

On ‎25‎.‎8‎.‎2016 at 2:44 AM, Keener said:

And how convenient is it that the second that they lose the mining company, a lumber company is right there to pick up the pieces! 

I accept that this show is basically a fairy tale where, when people chose to fight for the right thing, the result will be good.   

On ‎13‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 5:56 PM, jb0495 said:

I don't like how there is no follow up from past seasons, like Luke and Wyatt (smart kid who built the fan for the mine) 

I am not especially interested in them. But it seems odd to me that after Abigail said that Clara is family, they have no common scenes together and Abigail treats only Cody and Becky as family - well, actually only Cody. When Cody became sick, Abigail spoke with Elizabeth and Rosemary. Becky to whom Cody was the only living family member and should irl have been the person most distressed, was almost completely ignored.

On ‎25‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 3:02 AM, Misslindsey said:

I am probably a horrible person for wanting Cody to die. I cannot stand the character.

I was quite sure that he wouldn't die as the doctor needed to show his talents. Nothing bad seems to happen to good leading characters in this show (the mining accident happened before the show began).

On ‎4‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 7:46 PM, llewis823 said:

-And how do these women who lost their husbands survive if they are not working like Abigail, etc?

They got compensation from the mining company that lost the trial. Also the judge gave them a postfolio full of money with which the mining company tried to bribe him.  

But basically you are right. The women seems to live like they have nothing do but tittle-tatle when irl household chores without machines took much time.   

• Love 1
On ‎13‎.‎2‎.‎2018 at 11:22 PM, AnotherJane said:

Let's add that in these times, NO respectable woman over 15 wears her hair like a little girl, long and curly down her back. 

True!

I rewatched the beginning of S1 and most women had their hair up and wore a hat, clothes were more modest and blouses had been stuffed up. What happened after that? 

• Love 1

There are so many likable secondary characters now that I don’t notice much when Jack isn’t there. 

I missed most of the first half of the episode. Was it said why Jack’s mother wasn’t at the wedding?  I was surprised that they didn’t take advantage of the cameo appearance. 

That fire looked pretty intense!  It was shocking that they could fix it all up again in a day.  You can't get fire smell out, no matter what.

I hated that wedding dress.  That princess gown seemed wrong and out of place, and it wasn't even a pretty princess gown.  I thought the gowns the other women were wearing were lovely, and would have made a beautiful wedding dress in white.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, forumfish said:

Jack's brother said their mom hurt her back falling off a horse. I'd read somewhere (the Hallmark thread, maybe?) that Brooke Shields is no longer in the Hallmark "family."

She has a recurring role on Jane the Virgin this season.

7 hours ago, forumfish said:

That was a beautiful wedding, but it seemed so anachronistic. I really doubt that frontier weddings were that elaborate, no matter who the bride and groom were. So many of the dresses (and suits, for that matter) looked like something you could buy at the mall. I wondered if it was a "thing" back then to write your own vows -- I actually said aloud that Pastor Frank wasn't needed, after all. Not that a female mayor would have been allowed to officiate back then (or even be mayor, most likely).

Most women, and men too, wore their "Sunday Best" for their wedding. Writing your own vows would have been frowned on! That whole thing didn't start until maybe late 1960s, early 70s or so. It's crazy. This show is almost as bad as Reign!

• Love 1
On March 19, 2018 at 12:15 PM, izabella said:

That fire looked pretty intense!  It was shocking that they could fix it all up again in a day.  You can't get fire smell out, no matter what.

My husband once burned a pot of soup.  The soup itself burned and the pot wasn't salvageable.  There were no flames.  Our house smelled like smoke for over a month.  I put out baking soda and activated charcoal.  We left the windows open in the middle of winter.  Nothing but time helped.

Just out of curiosity I looked up women's hairstyles from 1910-1920.  The long, flowing hair was definitely not being worn by women when they were out in public.    The "background women" all seem to have their hair up, but Elizabeth, Abigail and Rosemary always have theirs down.

• Love 2

I was home w/ an awful flu & started watching this show so I wouldn’t have to think too hard. Instead I got annoyed and feverish over Elizabeth’s many, many perfect pastel dresses & coats, then Abigail’s expensive coats, then what everybody else is saying about hair & makeup and outfits that look like something out of JCrew. Then as I got into further binge-watching, (what can I say, I was too sick to stop) I became irritated with sayings that no one spoke back in that time, like “you’ve got too much on your plate” (& we’re not talking food here), and “good luck with that” (emphasis on ‘that’ which creates that anachronistic problem.) If Hallmark wants to hire me to assure continuity of time/place/ language etc etc I would gladly take the job. Which begs the question: who is paying attention to this over at Hallmark? PS, Elizabeth’s repetitious lipsticked grin finally got to me and I turned the damn show off. Then I needed another day to get it out of my head so I could go back to normal. When my sister called me & said she was down with a bad cold and what kind of sweet, mindless TV did I suggest, I told her to watch reruns of The Walton’s. I didn’t want her to go to the ER after watching this show.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2018 at 6:24 AM, sas616 said:

Another nitpick.  "On a break?"   Do you think they really used that term back in the early 1900's?  

Ugh, I cringed through every exchange. Between the “break,” and “I can’t wait for our date tonight,” and greeting each other with “hey” every time, I felt like I was watching Dawson’s Creek

What is with Jack and Elizabeth always kissing in the middle of the street? 

Between the hairstyles, the anachronistic dialog, and the improbable storylines (see: Phillip’s story this week), I’m having a harder time suspending my disbelief this season than I have in the past. 

Also, if it’s 1915 how come no one has mentioned the war? They know the Cubs will be playing during their honeymoon but no one seems to be aware that a war has been raging for nearly a year?

• Love 6

I kept wondering where Phillip's parents were. Elizabeth had a throwaway line about his dad being away. Was he staying with someone? It is possible I may have missed something, because I tend to multitask when this show is on.

1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

I kept wondering where Phillip's parents were. Elizabeth had a throwaway line about his dad being away. Was he staying with someone? It is possible I may have missed something, because I tend to multitask when this show is on.

He’s staying with an unseen Mrs. Plot Necessity while his dad is away until an episode requires him to need another lesson from Elizabeth on single parenting.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

While I enjoyed the long lost letter and coat story, I was mystified how it was so hard to figure out where the coat came from.  I mean, it's a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and everyone knows everyone else.  How hard could it be to figure out who had donated to the charity thingie and spread the word asking about the coat? 

• Love 5

And just like that, Jack is gone again!  Really? I don't get the constant absence and it's not like they replace him with another Mountie, so why keep sending him away?  

I also thought it was ridiculous that Elizabeth was back teaching school the day after the wedding and Rosemary dropped in to pick up donations at their home?

Also, why do rich Lee and Rosemary live in one of the tiny old mine houses?

He owns a saw mill!  Build a house Lee!

• Love 7