Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Maybe Cody would be more likeable without Abigail.  I think that's what it boils down to for me.  I've never been particularly fond of Abigail, and she gets so much screen time that her scenes with Cody then just feel like too, too much since his plots are rarely central to anything.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, izabella said:

Cody then just feel like too, too much since his plots are rarely central to anything

.Just my thoughts on the character but....

I kind of think Abigail's and Cody's plot was very central to the time period. Because of the lack of technology and medicine, untimely deaths were a huge part of that era. After Abigail lost her husband and son, she did what most women did in those days. They stayed strong and opened themselves up to care for other children (orphans) in the community who didn't have a home or parents. I think the character of Abigail shows how to face death...you don't dig a hole and crawl in; you grieve, press forward, and open your heart to love other people. 

Another reason I like the orphan/adoption plot is because I use to be a foster mother. Those kids needs positive role models and to represented in the media as well. 

The last reason I like Cody's character is because I think if they cut his role (especially if he's told his character is unpopular) these are the sort of factors that play into these Hollywood kids becoming hurt, angry, and self-destructive little brats. It's a positive role that can help this little actor be productive and stay out of trouble. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Red30 said:

Another reason I like the orphan/adoption plot is because I use to be a foster mother.

I"m a huge fan of adoption and fostering and its portrayal on TV.  I do not like this kid Cody but I am all for Lee and Rosemary adopting a child or a horde of children.   

The actor who plays Cody is not very good.  He should be in classes honing his craft if this is something he wants to do. Is it harsh to say a little kid actor is not a very good actor?  Sure.  But he isn't.   He's young.  It doesn't have to be a long term issue.  I liked the kid whose Dad was played by Niall Matter.  I like the girl with the teddy bear.  I liked all the kids from the orphanage last season.  It is this kid I don't like.  In part it is because he is given so much airtime.  But in part, big part, it is because he makes great big meals out of the scenery in every scene that he's in and having him lose an adoptive parent and get a second adoptive parent is just inviting more airtime and drama for a character whose drama I'm not even a little bit interested in.   

Tune in next week when Cody wants a cookie.  Tune in next week when Cody can't be arsed to go to school because baseball is more fun.  Tune in next week when Cody loses some kid's thing and can't be arsed to find it.  These are the Cody stories we currently get.  If he has another life trauma.  Nope.  Not here from it.

He's welcome to join the stable of Halmark actors and have a Christmas movie or twelve. He's welcome to go back to being a kid who also takes acting classes to improve his craft.  he's welcome to have some therapy to deal with the fact that strangers on the internet think his character is the most annoying on the show.  I'm fine with all of that.  I'm not fine with him sucking up even more airtime from this show.  

/hating on a little kid which does, in fairness, make me feel a little uncomfortalbe..... but... I mean take some classes kid.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Red30 said:

The last reason I like Cody's character is because I think if they cut his role (especially if he's told his character is unpopular) these are the sort of factors that play into these Hollywood kids becoming hurt, angry, and self-destructive little brats. It's a positive role that can help this little actor be productive and stay out of trouble. 

I'm sorry but no, acting is a job. When child actors get roles because they are "cute"when they are young this is what will happen. He got this role because he is white, blond and cute, but now that he is 13 he needs to bring more to the table and it seems he can't.

The actor that plays Robert is much more honed of an actor and you can see him in many other shows (x-files, Arrow, etc.) In fact the child actors from season 1 that were absolutely great (like the actor who played Emily's oldest brother that simply disappeared from the show), have gone on to lots of other great roles.

Either you have it or you don't as an actor. It's not my job as a viewer to keep watching bad acting because it will help the actor "stay out of trouble". That is the job of the child's family.  

• Love 8
13 hours ago, free2think said:

It's not my job as a viewer to keep watching bad acting because it will help the actor "stay out of trouble". That is the job of the child's family.  

Yes, that is primarily the role of the child's family. However, it quite often takes a village to raise children. Our role (watching this show) is minor but the support can have an impact on these young kids and their self esteem. It says to them that there is something that they can do that's worthwhile.

To be honest many of the actors on the show are horrible at their craft (Erin is not the best actress and overdoes it quite a bit). No one on WTCH is likely to win an Emmy for their portrayals. Additionally, many people watch WCTH for different reasons. I personally watch it because it lets Hallmark (an other media) understand that there is still a sect of viewers that want (and will support) clean family-friendly entertainment. For me that means I'm ready to take the good acting with the mediocre to keep the series on the air. Also, high ratings do keep many of the actors employed--this includes the actor who plays Cody. I see it as a situation where both sides win. We get decent television shows, the actors get to remain employed, and those who are younger get to grow, perfect their crafts, and stay productive. Win-Win!

Edited by Red30
  • Love 1

My DVR has episodes listed for 5/5, 5/6 and 5/12. The 5/12 episode description mentions Abigail. I wonder if that was an error (the old description prior to the hiatus) or if they have recasted Abigail and they’re not announcing the name of the new actress until her airdate. 

That was pretty boring and I kept trying to decide what Abigail's plot would have been.  Maybe some ordinance related to the increase of cars on the road?  The debate was otherwise completely a stand alone.   

• Love 3
(edited)

Elizabeth has become a total background character in what used to be her show. I hope the writers figure out something to do with her or else she might as well travel back east to care for a sick relative. On the plus side: sorry Lori Loughlin screwed the kid actor over too, but no Cody!

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 5

Kind of a bland episode, but did not miss Lori. Elizabeth's journal entry at the opening of the show was clearly for the viewers--we miss Abigail, but we must go on, etc. 

• Love 1

This show has definitely become more of an ensemble. I didn’t miss Abigail that much, but her interactions  with Elizabeth were a big part of the show and I wonder how they’ll remedy that. Rosemary, Faith and Clara(?) are nice, but there’s a void of that slightly older matronly character that Abigail played. They might need to bring in a late 40/50ish actress for that role, someone who can possibly be a love interest for Henry or Bill. I hate that Henry was pretty much a spectator in the saloon since a lot of his nonworkplace scenes were with Abigail. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I kept trying to decide what Abigail's plot would have been.

The debate would have been between Cody and Robert.  Abigail would have been the one to talk to them and ensure that they remained friends. In addition to that, she would have been the one to notice how shaken up Elizabeth was when she saw the new Mountie.  In my head I kept putting her into the plot to see where she would have fit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

The debate would have been between Cody and Robert.

Yes!  I totally thought that, too.   

6 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Elizabeth has become a total background character in what used to be her show.

Yes, although in these particular episodes I wonder how much of her plot for the episode was expressing how she felt about the new mountie etc with Abigail and henceforth less Elizabeth. 

• Love 2

The problem currently is that Elizabeth, the star of the show, has no storyline.  I'm sure she was meant to be conflicted over the new Mountie (even though its been a year since Jack died, would they really have left the town without one for that long?)  With Abigail gone (which was a nice way to handle it, although I don't expect that they will let Lori back even if she's cleared), there is no one for Elizabeth to confide in.  It was completely out of character for Rosemary to hide Faith and the Doc's romance from everyone, I'm sure that was another change in the episode.

Elizabeth needs another love interest.  Clearly the bar owner and the Mountie will compete for her affections at some point but for the audience Jack's death hasn't been long enough.  The reality would've been that Elizabeth would've remarried as quickly as possible in order to take care of her baby.

Kinda feel sorry for Henry the scoundrel.  Abigail was the one character that could make him a better man in everyone's eyes.  With her gone, he has nothing to do.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

The reality would've been that Elizabeth would've remarried as quickly as possible in order to take care of her baby.

No, the reality would have been for her to return home to live with her parents who would help take care of the baby and herself. There is no possible way that  either family (Jack's or her own) would've allowed her to remain on her own and pregnant with her first child. No matter how "involved" a town is. At the very least, her family would have sent a nursemaid. Given that Elizabeth's mom went to England to stay with her older sister when she had her first child (noted as a reason she did not make E&J's wedding), it's absolutely unbelievable that she would NOT have immediately came to stay with Elizabeth after Jack's death.

Remarrying is not the only possible solution, especially for a daughter of a well-off family where Elizabeth does not need the financial support of a husband.

Edited by free2think
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

The debate would have been between Cody and Robert.  Abigail would have been the one to talk to them and ensure that they remained friends. In addition to that, she would have been the one to notice how shaken up Elizabeth was when she saw the new Mountie.  In my head I kept putting her into the plot to see where she would have fit.

I saw the original episode of "Heart of a Mountie".  Abigail was concerned about the early arrival of the mountie and how it might affect Elizabeth. Abigail recognized how it had shaken Elizabeth and encouraged her to stop avoiding him and meet him. She apologized for not telling Elizabeth that he would be coming so soon. Elizabeth accepted the apology and said that she knew there would be a new mountie sooner or later. Additionally, Bill was not overly enthusiastic about the mountie and complained about how he started a fight on his first night in town. However,  Abigail said she observed that the mountie attempted to stop the fight not start one.  Also, Rosemary got a phone in her home and badgered Abigail (while she was at work) about the details of the new mountie. Abigail let her know that she was at work and that her inquiries were not "urgent." So, those were the scenes with Abigail. As for the debate, Cody and his friend was not included in the scene. 

• Useful 2

The actress who plays the niece was at the top of my annoying child Hallmark actors list when she was younger. Maybe she's given up her syrupy overly enthusiastic reactions now that she's older, so I'll reserve judgment. Also, I'm sorry they gave Elizabeth a baby because I didn't like that voice she uses with her students, and it's worse with an actual baby. Sorry to be grumpy; I still miss Jack!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I wonder if the mountie's niece was added after Lori and Cody were booted from the show? Or was the niece always going to be a new addition to the show?

Am I an awful person for admitting that I wasn't sorry to see Cody go and could only "face palm" to see that he's seemingly been replaced with the even more annoying Niece of the Mountie?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I wonder if the mountie's niece was added after Lori and Cody were booted from the show? Or was the niece always going to be a new addition to the show?

I saw this story line coming (in the vain of "love comes softly") as soon as they killed Jack. This is where Elizabeth and the new Mountie will bond over a horrible child who will "bring them together"!!!! Hate this so much. I'm still so angry over what they have done with this show.

Edited by free2think
  • Love 6

I thought the second episode was significantly better than the first.  

I am vaguely interested in Henry's oil plot and Rosemary's infertility.

I don't think Rosemary keeping the romance to herself was wildly out of character. She's always been shown to go to great lengths if a friend really needs something from her so I felt it was in line with that and by having them make her a co-conspirator they've made her feel a part of something and important which is always what Rosemay is craving.

I thought Elizabeth was being a bit of a crap friend to Rosemary in the episode.  Yes, your priorities change when you have a baby and you have less time to hang but to not tell Rosemary when you find out that you can't make it?  That is being a crap friend.

My great-grandmother was widowed in 1912 the day before her only son was born.  She taught school in her local community and never remarried.  I never knew her personally but she lived until my father was in college and taught school until at least the 1950s.  She was from a very respectable family.   She never remarried and taught school for at least 40 years after she was widowed.   My father always talked about his father being poor growing up and how deprived he was and he certainly was... when compared to his cousins who were all sons daughters of doctors, judges, and merchants.   She undoubtedly had options.   

So, I absolutely believe that Eliabeth could have made the choice not to remarry at this time.  She has a job.  She has family money. She eventually has Jack's pension.   But I do agree there is no way in the world her family isn't putting pressure on her to come home.

• Love 4

Why can't Elizabeth cut Rosemary some slack and go next door for an hour, even with little Jack, and have dinner?  Makes no sense.  Sorry, but as a former teacher, and with such a small class, I know she doesn't need hours and hours to correct papers.  And as a baby, Jack should be sleeping a lot of the night.  

Can't stand the totally obnoxious Mountie niece.  She's going to be a pain in the butt for not only the people of the town, but for us viewers.  She was obnoxious in the Bethany Lenz Christmas movie where she played the toothless daughter, but she's going to be even worse in this show.

Why did Daniel Lessing leave just to go to SWAT and play one of a skeevy threesome?  Is it  CBS's version of Sister Wives?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Why did Daniel Lessing leave just to go to SWAT and play one of a skeevy threesome?

He did not leave WCTH for SWAT. He got that role months after he gave his 18 month notice on WCTH. I still think he was shoved out by Bird and LL and now LL is out, the show is moving in all the crazy directions. 

Dan is just going for roles he can get, the role on SWAT is less than 10 mins of screen time during the 3 or so episodes he has been in. The majority of SWAT watchers hate that story line and think it's unnecessary to the plot of the show. 

I was thinking Dan was trying to get away from the very conservative viewers of WCTH. I can only imagine the discussions he has with his friends about getting 40 to 60 year old conservative women to watch him in a Polyamorous relationship! What a hoot!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

So, I absolutely believe that Eliabeth could have made the choice not to remarry at this time.  She has a job.  She has family money. She eventually has Jack's pension.   But I do agree there is no way in the world her family isn't putting pressure on her to come home.

Jack's pension however, would be in the form of a lump sum payment, as in, Elizabeth could put it towards the taxes on her land or maybe towards a house but it wouldn't be a monthly sum like we think of now.

She has all kinds of money available to her, the anomaly is that she chooses to work instead at a time when women had few rights.  But the town also has a female mayor which also would've been unheard of.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Who on earth is mayor now!?

was it mentioned I just missed it? (Im only watching for HotSaloonOwnerGuy now so thats very possible)

if it hasnt been mentioned, I formally vote for Rosemary. 

I believe Abigail is still mayor until it is announced that she won't be returning from "back east" and then someone will take her spot. I would also vote for Rosemary!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

was it mentioned I just missed it? (Im only watching for HotSaloonOwnerGuy now so thats very possible)

if it hasnt been mentioned, I formally vote for Rosemary. 

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

I believe Abigail is still mayor until it is announced that she won't be returning from "back east" and then someone will take her spot. I would also vote for Rosemary!

Rosemary annoys the HELL out of me, but I cant think of another person in town who would make a better mayor!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TVForever said:

Rosemary annoys the HELL out of me, but I cant think of another person in town who would make a better mayor!

At least being mayor would give her something to do. Lee is a bit too busy to be mayor and the only others I can think of are somewhat qualified are Henry and Bill. 

I wonder which male Hallmark star they’ll get to play Faith’s father when he eventually shows up in Hope Valley. 

• Love 2

I like the idea of Rosemary as mayor.  This last episode clearly showed she really has nothing to do.  I still can understand why you've got the young couple building a house (though they just sold their land), Elizabeth and Jack were going to build a house, but Lee, who owns a saw mill, isn't building a house?   Shouldn't Lee and Rosemary be living in the biggest house in town vs. and old mill shack?  It makes no sense.

Where does Faith live?  I've thought Carson must live near the office but we haven't seen where Faith lives.  

The new Mountie's niece is annoying but it looks like she is supposed to be.  

Here's what I don't want, Elizabeth dating the new Mountie.  He's too bland for her.  Bouchard in the saloon is far more challenging for her (and better looking), but is the idea that she can reform him?  Knowing this show, she'll pick boring Mountie and the telephone operator will end up with Bouchard.

• Love 2

I am enjoying everyone's observations.  I think Rosemary would make a good mayor too and I think it would be too easy to have Elizabeth and the Mountie try and repeat history.  Saloon owner much more interesting. What I love/am annoyed by in this series is how clean everyone and everything is and how they are all dressed to the "nines" and are never cold/hungry/disheveled.  Just like real life.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Shows do it all the time but it cheapens both relationships (Jack and the new guy) if Elizabeth just dates/marries every mountie who rolls into town. 

I guess she has a type.

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed the last two episodes and didn't miss Abigail in the least. Nor did any of the townspeople since she got a two line send off.

It goes without saying that Rosemary would be perfect as mayor.  She is just the type of busybody who would want to control everything. Plus her husband is the main employer in town. Unless the oil wells kick off.

They seemed to have dropped the counterfeiting story line with the saloon guy. Unless he used phony bills to buy the oil leases. That would be a fine kettle of fish.

One last question. How much did the Mountie have to pay to bribe his niece into the school?

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 2
On May 7, 2019 at 8:52 PM, allonsyalice said:

Without Abigail to keep Gowen on the straight and narrow he may become the next mayor -- a corrupt mayor.  

On May 7, 2019 at 3:06 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Can't stand the totally obnoxious Mountie niece.  She's going to be a pain in the butt for not only the people of the town, but for us viewers.  She was obnoxious in the Bethany Lenz Christmas movie where she played the toothless daughter, but she's going to be even worse in this show.

If she becomes a major focus of the show I may stop watching.  I'm hoping that the writers will tone down her character.

• Love 1

Honestly, I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but id watch a spin off of the Hot Saloon Guy having to babysit the Mountie’s Niece. 

I think that’s an amusing pair. 

(But +1 to who said Elizabeth would be better with Saloon Guy. Mountie Guy is less attractive and, if he were a spice, he’d be flour.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I wonder how the oil boom will turn out. If Hope  Valley turns into a book town it would certainly open it up for new storylines.

Based on the  synopsis of upcoming episodes (or the ones they were suppose to air before Lori's scandal),  some people will be rich and others will not be. It brings division in the community.

So Bouchard’s whole storyline must’ve been with Abigail?  We’re only seeing him for about 2 minutes an episode?

Seriously new Mountie is incredibly boring.  He an Elizabeth have no chemistry, please show, let her spend sometime with Bouchard.

I wonder if Henry is leaving the show?  He didn’t really have a story beyond Abigail either.

• Love 2

Henry has the oil storyline, so doubt he is going anywhere. Don’t think they will be recasting Abigail. I bet Faith’s father will be paying a visit. I hope the telephone company girl sticks around. I like her. She needs a romance. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Carson completely overstepped in making that call. Yet another Hallmark Man Who Knows What His Woman Needs Even When She Says Otherwise. Yay?

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

Carson completely overstepped in making that call. Yet another Hallmark Man Who Knows What His Woman Needs Even When She Says Otherwise. Yay?

Yep, I so would have broken up with him for this especially for putting me on the spot with no warning and in sort of public. Not okay.  

I'm onlyinterested in Rosemary's infertility or whatever.   

And I guess I'd be interested in Bouchard if, he ever has anything to do.

• Love 5

The Mountie is wooden and has no chemistry with Elizabeth.  They are using the niece to throw the two of them together, but it is not happening.  A more interesting storyline for them would be if Mountie and Elizabeth disliked one another but had to work together for niece's sake.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Yep, I so would have broken up with him for this especially for putting me on the spot with no warning and in sort of public. Not okay.  

I'm onlyinterested in Rosemary's infertility or whatever.   

And I guess I'd be interested in Bouchard if, he ever has anything to do.

Seriously, they totally let go of the arms smuggling with the departure of Abigail, now Bouchard just walks around looking at people and wanting to do good for no good reason?

I'm guessing there weren't a lot of options for Rosemary at that time, but surely Lee would know there's a problem, they've been married for years at this point.

Carson way over stepped and they are pushing this Carson/Faith relationship way too much.  I get that it's the only grown up couple they've got in a non married, or betrothed relationship but they've completely rushed it to cover up Abigails absence.  It's still too soon for Elizabeth to date (and why would she ever date that Mountie?  He's so boring) so Carson and Faith are it for the moment. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Baby Jack is a little doll.

Well hello there, fellow starker!  Yes, he is.  Also don't like the niece and am interested in Rosemary's issues.  As far as Carson overstepping, I would have been annoyed, but, at first glance, it seems like it turned out well, at least for now.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, scenicbyway said:

I like the idea of Rosemary as mayor.  This last episode clearly showed she really has nothing to do.  I still can understand why you've got the young couple building a house (though they just sold their land), Elizabeth and Jack were going to build a house, but Lee, who owns a saw mill, isn't building a house?   Shouldn't Lee and Rosemary be living in the biggest house in town vs. and old mill shack?  It makes no sense.

Where does Faith live?  I've thought Carson must live near the office but we haven't seen where Faith lives.  

The new Mountie's niece is annoying but it looks like she is supposed to be.  

Here's what I don't want, Elizabeth dating the new Mountie.  He's too bland for her.  Bouchard in the saloon is far more challenging for her (and better looking), but is the idea that she can reform him?  Knowing this show, she'll pick boring Mountie and the telephone operator will end up with Bouchard.

I agree that the show probably won't have history repeat with a Teacher-Mountie pairing again. Not to mention Elizabeth herself would have a "once bitten, twice shy" feeling about dating/marrying another Mountie. The saloon owner and Elizabeth pairing would have an "opposites attract" aspect. Thus, if Elizabeth must have another romance, of these two choices, I go with Mr. A-Little-Bit-Shady.

That said, on a personal level, I think the actor who plays the Mountie is more attractive than Saloon Owner. I confess some of that has to do with that short preview of Hallmark's Spring shows the actor (Chris McNally?) did with Jen Lilley. The actor came across as a little bit smarmy to me, and maybe that's coloring how I view the two actors (Chris v. Kevin? - do I have the right names?).

• Love 1