Type keyword(s) to search

The Grounder Gazette: the 100 in the Media

In2You

The CW’s Emmy-nominated hit show The 100 is gearing up for it’s fifth season, and while its history of queer inclusion has been a contentious issue (see: Clexa), queer character Nathan Miller (played by Canadian actor Jarod Joseph) will see in increased focus on his storyline this spring.

We spoke with Joseph about playing a QPOC on mainstream TV and what we can expect from his character when Season 5 kicks off on The CW on April 24.

Can you give us any hints on the upcoming season of The 100?

This season I have a new love interest. A few seasons ago, it was made official that my character was a gay man. The beauty of it, I find in our world that we created, nothing changed about him at all. There were two seasons before it was confirmed you know? And I thought that was just awesome. It’s never brought up among his friends on the show. It’s not brought up as a joke. It doesn’t come up at the expense of masculinity and he is just one of the dudes you know. That’s what I am most proud of is that it’s been a seamless blend in, where he is happy to represent without it coming at any costs.

'The 100's Queer Heartthrob Is Getting More Storylines In Season 5

Edited by CooperTV

In the five years since The 100 first premiered on The CW, the show has garnered a huge and passionate fanbase that has fallen hard for the young cast and their dystopian adventures upon the ravaged Earth. The season four finale saw the core cast split between worlds, so when we visited The 100’s Vancouver set we sat down the show’s end-game couple—Bellamy and Clarke a.k.a. Bob Morley and Eliza Taylor a.k.a. Bellarke—to talk about where the pair are six years into the future, how the two beloved characters are leading two completely new factions, and how that could affect their relationship forever.

The six-year time jump that kicks off season five has huge implications on the core survivors of the original 100, and for Morley it’s all about the power dynamics. “This season, it feels like there’s a couple of different shows going on, because there’s so many different groups and leadership groups and who’s in charge of what and where,” Morley said. “It’s interesting to see the power struggles between all the groups and actually who’s really in charge. This season has been tricky for me, like with Bellamy as well, for Bellamy coming from being Spacekru and knowing that he’s got the backs of those six or seven. Whereas when he gets back down to Earth that changes pretty quickly.”

We find Clarke with a new charge, a young girl who’s become her family. The actress who brings her to life, Eliza Taylor, thinks the big shift has been a great one. She’s gone through tremendous loss in her life, as we all know,” Taylor said. “We thought that she was going to be alone towards the end of season four, but now having this little sidekick who she loves with all her heart, a surrogate daughter type, she’s found some sort of peace and happiness until of course the prison ship comes down.”

Taylor also talked about her new role on Earth fleeing the prison transport. “It’s great because it’s a role reversal,” she said. “It’s like suddenly she’s the grounder who’s being hunted. It’s a really cool callback to the pilot.”

As for what the different crews will be facing, Morley teased a return to basics. “There’s definitely a lot of returning of Mother Nature type things—animals and creatures and critters and stuff like that,” he said. “That’s one of the struggles. And also, the elements, as well, and how the planet has changed because of praimfaya. In terms of the challenges on Earth, the threat other than the elements and environments…is always a human threat between the groups more than anything else,” Morley revealed.

Bob Morley and Eliza Taylor Talk Leading the New Worlds of THE 100

“I think Raven’s vulnerable side is my favorite part of her to play and also the most challenging at times.” Lindsey cites the reasoning for this as the fact you never know how Raven is going to express that vulnerability. Going into season five, it is ushered into the spotlight. “You will definitely see Raven dealing with her choices and her insecurities that were explored in season four.” She teases, “They definitely come back.”

Part of this can be credited to the action of leaving Clarke [Eliza Taylor, Thumper, “Neighbours”] behind as the apocalypse came bearing down their door. According to Lindsey, Raven was a mixed bag of emotions as the rocket left for space without one half of their leadership onboard.

“The main [emotions are] her sadness and fear of leaving Clarke behind on Earth,” expresses the talented actress. “Leaving her pretty much means they sentenced her to death and that weighs on Raven’s heart, but she still has to ensure everyone gets to the Ring safely.” Going through her character’s mind as the events unfolded, she continued, “So, despite wanting to break down, she must soldier on and not let Clarke’s death be in vain. There’s adrenaline pumping through her. She’s praying they can pull this off and that they have a chance to survive in space.”

Lindsey Morgan Teases Season Five of “The 100″

The world of “The 100” is a pretty grim place, but showrunner Jason Rothenberg found “a breath of fresh air” in actress Lola Flanery. The 12-year-old plays Madi, a daughter figure to Clarke. He gave a little of Madi’s background to reporters at Wondercon 2018.

“Madi’s from Shallow Valley. Clarke meets her when she finds her way miraculously to that last valley,” he said. “She’s a Nightblood, a natural born Nightblood, so that’s why she survived. I don’t think that’s a spoiler. I think in the end of season 4 she (Clarke) calls her my little Nightblood. And that would be the only way she could survive. We’ll definitely get to know all about her.”

Rothenberg also shared this behind-the-scenes story: “I was on set for the finale and it was a really dark bloody scene and there were body parts everywhere, and it was really, really disturbing on the sound stage. And I sensed movement and I looked and it’s Madi – it’s Lola, on a scooter, just sort of riding around the set like a kid would.”

There may have been just one disadvantage to having the young actress on the set. “You had to watch your language more than normally,” Rothenberg observed.

‘The 100’ Showrunner On Clarke’s ‘Little Nightblood’

Only a few days are left before The 100 returns to the CW.  As we count down to the Season 5 premiere, we’re rolling out interviews with members of the cast and production team from Wondercon 2018. Richard Harmon sat down with reporters to talk about what’s ahead for his character, Murphy, and the new villains coming onto the show, including “Graveyard” McCreary.

Q: Well, is Murphy still the villain in this story?

RH: I don’t know if he was ever the villain. I think he’s a person who is fighting a battle inside of himself, to go with the addict in him which would be to ditch his moral compass, and he knows if he does that, getting what he wants is a lot easier. But he also had someone like in Emori that gave him the fresh start when no one else would give him a second chance. She gave him a first chance. So I think there is that battle inside of him even going into this season six years into the future.

I think it’s tough for him. So I wouldn’t say he’s a villain still, but he’s fighting that addiction inside of him to do what he wants to do.

Q: Is he going to be looking up to McCreary? Is he going to idolize him?

RH: Who knows if we even have scenes together?  I have no idea. But I will say this, I think… It was described to me at one point perfectly so I’m not gonna take credit for it… One of the writers once told me that McCreary is kind of like looking into a funhouse mirror for Murphy. It’s like this  person he could be, it’s like seeing a lot of himself in him. I think McCreary’s that guy who stopped fighting that war inside of himself. He’s let the venom win and just take over his decision making. He’s ditched his moral compass a long time ago, whereas Murphy’s trying to fight that.

Q: What’s it like to play a Murphy who’s ready to be the good guy?

RH: Well, that’s presumptuous to think he’s ready to be the good guy. I think he does what he thinks is right moment to moment. What’s it like to play him… is a dream cause he is a guy who’s very complicated to play in that way and I don’t just get to be perfect. Not everything that I do is like a cheat code in a video game and I’m like great at this great at that. He has to work at things and I think he sees that other people are much … he’s a lot of fun to play.

‘The 100’s’ Richard Harmon Likes The Bad Guys

Fans will soon know the fate of their favorite characters when “The 100” returns April 24 for Season 5!

When “The 100” left off, Octavia, Indra, Jaha, Abby, Kane and many others took refuge in an underground bunker to escape Praimfaya, and were presumably still there when the show jumped six years into the future.

ExtraTV.com caught up with actresses Marie Avgeropoulos (who was joined by her dog Chewy) and Adina Porter on the set in Vancouver, where they dished with reporters about what’s in store for their characters Octavia and Indra, as well their bunker-mates.

Life in the Bunker! 'The 100's' Marie Avgeropoulos & Adina Porter Tease Season 5

Christopher Larkin had Girl Scout cookies on his mind when he joined our table in the press room at Wondercon 2018. After a brief discussion of Samoas and Peanut Butter Patties, we dove in to talk about his character in The 100, and what we might be able to expect from Monty in Season 5.

What do you do for six years in space?

Q: So, how’s Monty been occupying his time?

CL: Well, I think it depends on what’s up there. If there was a giant library of books… I try to think of how I occupy time when I’m unemployed and not working and I try to fill the tank with books. Music, good food – I think they’ll be lacking in the food department but hopefully they’ve got like a big cultural library up there.

Q: No Samoas?

CL: No Samoas… Lot of algae. No processed sugar. But hopefully an algae recipe that Monty has been really working on. He’s had six years to get it right!

Q: Who’s the first person he’s gonna want to see when he’s back on the ground?

CL: Wow. Whoa. Pause, pause. Caught me way off guard. (thinks) I don’t know. Octavia keeps popping into mind. Probably because her circumstances have changed the most. I can’t spoil too much but you can clearly see that she’s quite different. And I hope that she’s OK because I know her relationship with the 100 and the ground has always been very… divisive.

‘The 100’s’ Christopher Larkin Talks About Monty’s Journey and Space Snacks

Season 5 is almost here and if you have been following along at home you know that the hype for Season 5 is strong and very positive. I didn’t watch the press screeners until a week after the rest of the Press Kru, so I can wholeheartedly say that Season 5 lives up to their hype. Why? Because it’s the season we have been waiting for (both figuratively and literally).

When the season starts on Tuesday, April 24th, it will only take you a few minutes to realize that they have taken the show we love and molded it into a more mature, stylized and (if possible) even more morally gripping version of itself. It also let some of the sins of the past get washed away in the sweeping flames that ended their prior world and it was the best move for all of us. It feels like a fresh start and it’s so refreshing.

‘The 100’ Spoiler Free Review: Season 5 hits the ground running

It’s always risky using a time jump as a plot device — but the new season of The CW’s “The 100” pulls it off.

“We take a lot of chances, and sometimes we hit and sometimes we miss,” says showrunner Jason Rothenberg. “But the fact that it was a risk — a bold choice — was one of the reasons we wanted to do it.”

The show’s Season 5 premiere (Tuesday at 9 p.m.) moves the dystopian drama’s plot forward, aging each character by a whopping six years.

“When you do a time jump, it does allow you the freedom to change [characters] in significant ways,” says Rothenberg. “But you also have to be careful to make sure that they still feel like the same people.”

How ‘The 100’ pulls off that crazy time jump

In an interview with Hidden Remote, The 100’s Lola Flanery discusses her new role on the CW show.

When season 5 of The 100 premieres on April 24, fans of the CW show will see a new face. Lola Flanery will star as Madi, Clarke’s surrogate daughter.

Flanery may look familiar to some. She played the Seelie Queen in Shadowhunters, and most recently, Cambi in Mary Kills People. And she’s someone that fans should get to know soon as it seems the 12-year-old is on the rise.

Hidden Remote had a chance to chat with Lola Flanery about her role on The 100, what it was like to join a tight-knit cast in its fifth season, and the best piece of advice she’s ever received.

New to The 100, Lola Flanery talks about her upcoming role as Clarke’s daughter

Season 5 promises to be a whole new show, and somewhat fragmented towards the beginning. D’Oliveira spoke with Fan Fest exclusively about her character’s journey to space, her apprenticeship with Raven, the melting pot of change six years can bring, and so much more.

MCKENZIE MORRELL: First off, congrats on making it to space. Who would have thought, a grounder getting a seat on the spaceship?

LUISA D’OLIVEIRA: Two of us, even.

MM: Of course, Emori is a multi layered character from her mutation to her story of being an outcast and her tattoo. There’s just so much that hasn’t been explored yet when it comes to this role. Without giving any spoilers, can you tease anything that’s coming up for your character and this continued story on The 100?

LD: What can I say? Emori has now gone through over six years in a situation she probably never imagined she’d ever be in. Not only in space, obviously but with a small group of people in a potentially safe environment. That’s obviously their goal to try and make it safe. And I think it’s going to challenge her in ways she’s never experienced before. She’s existed functioning in one day which is survival of the fittest, do what you have to do, everyone’s out to get you so get them first, and no one cares about you, except for her brother and obviously when John Murphy came along that affected her and her circle expanded to include him. Kind of at the end of season four, after everything her and Clarke went through, we see her being challenged in ways she didn’t expect and it’s bringing out different feelings, even at the end of the episode in the finale, wanting to stay a tiny bit more to see if Clarke can make it. She doesn’t want to leave Clarke behind. I really enjoy seeing the subtle ways in which her worldview is challenged. She’s definitely going to have been challenged over the past six years in potentially good ways and potentially bad ways.

Luisa d’Oliveira Talks Season 5, and Emori’s Turbulent Journey on ‘The 100’

It’s been a long eleven months since the season four finale of The CW’s The 100 aired. In its wake, fans of the post-apocalyptic series have grown bored. Thankfully, the end is within sight as we’re now four — FOUR — days away from The 100’s return on April 24.  In the lead up to its return, The CW has released character posters every couple of days as a fun countdown. Little did they know (or did they) the April 20 release would stir up the fandom in a way that can only be described as MEME-orable. April 20 will go down in fandom history as the day the “Bellameme” returned with the season five character poster of Bellamy Blake (Bob Morely).

The CW’s ‘The 100’ Sparks the Return of the Bellameme

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Season 5 opens with the time jump we saw at the end of season 4. Why jump six years specifically?
JASON ROTHENBERG: We wanted to shake things up, especially in a show like ours where from the beginning of the show until the end of season 4, less than a year has passed. Now we’ve separated them for six times that amount, so you get the opportunity to really play with these characters and change them in interesting ways. The trick of that is you have to be consistent while being different, if that makes sense.

As for six years, in season 4 we were obviously playing with this idea of the death wave coming and it was going to render everything uninhabitable for five years. So we were tied to that number of five years, and then we added a year and seven days just because it felt like an element of mystery as to: Wait a second, they could have come back a year ago, why didn’t they? Are they dead are they alive, are they stranded?

Let’s talk about Clarke. As we saw in the season 4 finale, she’s now taking care of a girl named Madi (Lola Flanery) and surviving the wasteland of Earth on her own. What made you want to give Clarke such a maternal arc?
As a parent myself, I know what it’s like to have your priorities shift dramatically when you have children of your own, and I felt like we’ve always seen Clarke doing what was right for the greater good, you know? To sacrifice the few to save the many has kind of been her thing from the beginning. Well, when one of those few is your own child, you’re not going to do that. So it was creatively interesting to turn Clarke’s clan into a clan of one, essentially, and shift her priorities that way.

he 100 boss previews season 5 twist that's 'bigger than anything we've done in the past'

may-sweeps-2018-the-100.jpg?w=620

THE 100

MAY SWEEPS: Clarke may be at her lowest point when Season 5 begins — as executive producer Jason Rothenberg explains, “We essentially break her down brick by brick” — but her motherly relationship with fellow Nightblood Madi changes everything. “Her priorities have totally shifted. She now has a clan of one.” Speaking of relational shifts, those who went to space have undergone a few changes over the years, including a full-blown friendship between Raven and Murphy. “Time heals, or should heal, most wounds. By the end of Season 4, an unspoken forgiveness had been given, so the progression of their friendship continued over the course of the time jump.” Additionally, the make-shift space family has helped one another grow; “Echo taught them how to fight, Raven taught Emori how to be an engineer, everyone expanded their knowledge and used those years wisely — except for Murphy.” On the ground, Octavia reluctantly embraces her leadership responsibilities. “Ultimately, once things take a turn for the worse, she’s the only one who can do it.” As we head into Season 5, Rothenberg reminds us, “We’re not dealing with people who are inherently good or bad. They’re just people doing what it takes to survive. That’s why allegiances can shift.”

SEASON FINALE AIRS MID-JULY

May Sweeps Preview and Finale Spoilers

When asked whether he's steeled himself for the reaction in anticipation of the Bellamy-Echo reveal, Rothenberg tells TV Guide, "Steeled myself, maybe. I'm definitely aware of what's coming. Let's put it like that."

"My hope, though, is that people will understand that Bellamy was alone for six years," he continues. "Whether or not you believe that Clarke was a romantic thing in his mind, she's dead to him, literally, and he moves on. So yeah, ultimately, when Clarke shows up back in the flesh, alive, that's going to be mind-blowing on multiple levels, obviously. But steel myself? It obviously sucks to have people sort of screaming hateful things at you when you're just trying to tell a story, but it comes with the job these days."

But Bellarke fans aren't going to be the only ones to likely have an issue with Bellamy and Echo dating. As Echo reminded Bellamy in the premiere, his sister Octavia (Marie Avgeropoulos) wants nothing more than to see Echo dead after she cheated during the conclave, killing Octavia's lover Ilian (Chai Hansen), and trying her hardest to kill her.

"Bellamy will have had six years to interact with Echo and he's had six years to come to forgive her and for her to earn his, initially respect, and ultimately affection. Octavia doesn't have any idea that Echo went to space with them, so the fact that Echo's even alive is a shock for her when that happens and finally they come together. And it will be hugely, hugely problematic," Rothenberg teases.

Fortunately, it sounds like Echo will have some grace time to figure out how to handle Octavia once she's back on the ground. Rothenberg reveals that the bad blood between Echo and Octavia will really become a huge problem for Bellamy, Octavia and especially Echo beginning in Episode 5.

The 100 Creator Defends that Controversial New Couple

This is the same interview where he called Bellarke "non-romantic soulmates".

We’re back, bitches! And so is everything that made this show great. HOO BOY WHAT A SEASON PREMIERE!

Mom feels! Road trips! Jasper closure! Clarke as a video game character, wandering through post-apocalyptic wastelands and collecting emotionally-loaded power-up items! Bugs for lunch! Pinterest-worthy outdoor decorating schemes! A smol with a bear trap! Echo/Monty parallels! The mythology of Octavia Blake! Increasingly desperate collect calls to space, waiting for Bellamy to answer his fucking phone! Good earth cleavage! An unexpected opportunity to cry over “An American Tail!” A line Erin laughed so hard at that she sliced it out to make it her ringtone! TWENTY-SEVEN FULL MINUTES CARRIED SOLO ON ELIZA TAYLOR’S TINY AUSTRALIAN SHOULDERS WITH NO SCENE PARTNER EXCEPT A BIRD

Come along on this journey with us, friends, we’ll even let you call shotgun.

0:00 - We’re Back, Bitches! And So Is the Show We First Fell In Love With
0:04 - We Fully Could Have Watched Another Forty Minutes of Just Clarke
0:14 - Sticks, Rocks and Goggles: Clarke Collects Quest Items to Help Her Survive
0:20 - MOM FEELS MOM FEELS MOM FEELS
0:23 - The Crumbling of Polis, In More Ways Than One
0:29 - Heroes and Monsters: Madi’s Fairy-Tale Lens on the World
0:35 - The Wreckage of Arkadia Fucked Us RIGHT the Fuck Up
0:37 - The Jasper Moment Our Hearts Needed
0:43 - Clarke’s Drawings, Maya’s iPod, and the Beauty of Shallow Valley: Creativity Is What Makes Us Human and Keeps Our Memories Alive
1:05 - The Pitfalls of Mythologizing the People We’ve Lost
1:09 - Interrogating the Stories Clarke Tells Herself About Herself
1:17 - “They Had Their Reasons Too,” and Clarke’s Picture of Her New Self, Go Right Out the Window When Madi’s In Danger
1:25 - Brief Sidebar to Yell About Bible Imagery Because #Brand
1:30 - “Say Five Nice Things About Yourself” vs. “Fight to the Death in This Terrifying Murder Pit”: Boy the Blakes’ Discipline Techniques Sure Are Different Aren’t They
1:32 - Murphy, Clarke, Adaptability, and the Impermanence of Change
1:36 - Space!Emori Is Already One of the Greatest Gifts of Season 5
1:44 - In Which Murphy Is a Cat
1:49 Soft Bearded Space Dad Bellamy Is Our Everything, Even Though He CLEARLY Has One Foot Out the Door
1:52 - Obligatory “Somewhere Out There” Reference Because We Are Children of the 90’s
1:54 - RAVEN IS DOING HER GODDAMN BEST DON’T @ HER
1:57 - Bellamy Is Mythologizing His Sister in Absentia While Echo Can See Her Pretty Clearly
2:06 - “What Are We Now?”: Becho, Marper, and Situational Identity
2:19 - Please Oh Please Give Echo a Real Arc So She’s More Than Just a Love Interest
2:27 - Becho Together, Memori Apart: Setting Up a New Status Quo So It Can Be Disrupted
2:34 - Patience Is a Virtue, in Narrative As in Life
2:39 - ENTER ELIGIUS, and Our New True Love Charmaine Diyoza
2:44:15 - The Most Iconic Line in Meta Station History

Hello and welcome back to a much grimmer and bloodier Meta Station than the one we all enjoyed last week! Claire and Erin and joined by our friend Crystal (@wordyblerd on Twitter), a freelance writer/TV critic formerly of Black Girl Nerds, to scream at the top of our lungs about “The Red Queen,” which shot straight to the top of our all-time series fave lists, for a whole host of reasons: from the small (Miller sparring! Niylah sass! Ovid references! Ark backstory! THE CHANCE TO YELL ABOUT BILL CADOGAN AGAIN!) to the huge (Octavia gets her best episode yet, but R.I.P. Thelonious Jaha, listen to our whole conversation about his storyline here – Meta-station – Take-me-to-wells-yu-gonplei-ste-odon-thelonious-jaha).

Along the way, we get the origin story of Blodreina and her scary murder pits, Gaia becomes perhaps the most terrifyingly powerful person in the bunker while Indra starts to have second thoughts, Mackson is everything and we’re emotional about it, we get a new morally gray lady to fall in love with, neither of us can quite pronounce “metamorphoses,” and Kane and Abby face the dark side of every life-or-death decision they’ve ever made (though they do it while handcuffed together and gazing lovingly at each other, because Jason Rothenberg has ABSOLUTELY been reading Claire’s fanfic).

Anyway remember last week when Clarke’s new home was colorful and pretty and had ribbons and fruit and decorations and a cute lil’ family YEAH WELL WE’RE NOT IN SHALLOW VALLEY ANYMORE, TIME FOR BLODREINA TO FUCK UP SOME HARDCORE SHIT, SLAP SOME RED PAINT ON YOUR FOREHEAD AND LET’S GO DOWN TO THE MURDER PITS WHERE ALL THE FUN IS HAPPENING AND LET'S DO THIS THING

0:00 – Hello and Welcome to Our Special Guest, Crystal!
0:01 – From the Ashes of the Show's Many Octaviae, Rises Blodreina
0:07 – The Indra-Miller-Octavia Family Unit Is a Gift We Didn't Know We Needed
0:23 – NIYAVIA RISING: It’s So Nice That Octavia Has a Friend, But Also, We Ship It With Our Entire Hearts
0:26 – Metamorphosesisizeses
0:35 – Power Dynamics, the Mythology of “Blodreina”, and Indra’s Journey
0:38 – CADOGAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN
0:42 – Life Is Death Is Creation Is Destruction: Jaha and Gaia's Ultimate Insight
0:50 – We Love Bunker Power Player Gaia and Are Also TERRIFIED OF HER
1:02 – Blodreina Is the Culmination of Every Facet of Octavia's History
1:08 – Hoo Boy It Is Time For Kane and Abby to Clear the Air, and We’re Here For the Angsty Reckoning
1:18 – Kabby, Mackson, Madi: Love as a Force in How People Make Decisions
1:25 – Kara Brings All Kane and Abby’s Chickens Home to Roost
1:37 – We Stan Kara Cooper, Reluctant Rebel
1:48 – Pike, Kara, and Farm Station: The Ethics and Politics of Subsistence
1:52 – The First Rule of Octavia’s Fight Club Is WE AREN’T SURE TBH WE STILL HAVE A BUNCH OF QUESTIONS
1:57 – Indra, You Have Created a Monster
2:05 – Eligius! Cannibalism! Madi! It’s Time For Our Favorite Pastime, Wild Flailing Season Speculation!

Hello and welcome back to Meta Station, where the takes are HOT and the zombie supersoldiers are COLD, and the jokes are weird because we’re both on book deadlines and slowly losing our minds. Erin unfortunately cannot be with us today, as she is dead, on account of what a motherfucking drama queen Bellamy Blake was when he strode dramatically into the spotlight holding his dad mug aloft to rescue Clarke from death at the hands of Claire’s new MILF crush Diyoza. But prior to her untimely demise from FEELS ATTACKS we had tons of shit to say about everything from the increasingly chilling Season 1 Grounder parallels (somewhere in the afterlife, Anya is genuinely touched that Clarke was paying such close attention), to Zeke Shaw as the show’s second and FAR more successful attempt at the Finn Collins character template, to what in the wide wide world of sports “don’t let Diyoza weaponize the cargo” could mean, to how hard Emori is winning this breakup. Our first two fairly modest nitpicks of the season came into play this week – we’re not wild about the narrative failing to pick a lane with Becho, and Claire would like to see Harper with a little more plot agency – but everything else is still so fantastic that we’re perfectly willing to give those cakes a little more time in the oven and we still have faith they’ll be satisfying in the end. For those of you who like it when we get existential, we spent about twenty minutes talking about religion; for those of you who like it when we’re complete garbage, stand by later this week for an outtake where we lose our shit over William Miller tweeting at Claire that he refers to that gun as “the strap-on.”

Okay team, let’s do this thing. ACTIVATE KODIAK!

---------------------------------------------------

0:00 – Hello and Welcome, ERIN IS LOOPY AS HELL
0:02 – We Already Love the Structure of This Season
0:07 – Grounder!Clarke Takes Us Back to Season One While Reminding Us Why the Term “Mama Bear” Is Not Always a Cute Compliment
0:19 – Jesus H. Christ We’re Gay for Diyoza
0:24 – Introducing Paxton “Graveyard” McCreary, Actual Worst Person on This Show
0:33 – R.I.P. Detroit
0:39 – McCreary vs. Shaw: Chaotic Evil vs. Neutral Good
0:44 – So They DID Solve a Problem Like Finn Collins
0:46 – It’s Ben Franklin with the Key and the Kite (You See It, Right?)
0:50 – “Two Suns, No Sunscreen”: Our Nightblood Eligius Theories Just Took a Sharp Right Turn
0:55 – Hytholodium, Raven, and Order Eleven: Is Kodiak an ALIE-Chipped Super Soldier?
1:03 – “First We Pray”: Diyoza, Gaia, the Bible, and a Lengthy Digression on Religion as Story
1:22 – Abby and McCreary: Lots of Plot Options, None of Them Good
1:27 – Emori Is Really Winning This Breakup
1:35 – When Does Harper Get to Do Something That Isn’t Just Motivating Another Character’s Plot?
1:41 – In Which We Side-Eye the Noteworthy Absence of Becho In This Episode, and Hope the Show Did Not Destroy Tasya’s Twitter Mentions in Exchange for One Kiss and Nothing Else
1:54 – “Murder, Murder, Murder . . .”: GOD THE BRAVEN IN THIS EPISODE WAS LIIIIIIIIIIT
1:58 – Saginaw, Grandpappy Blake and Arthur C. Clarke: Characters Who Know Pre-Praimfaya Earth As a Myth Finally Meet People Who Lived It
2:05 – Sorry, HOW Many People Does Bellamy Have to Decide Whether or Not to Kill, Again?
2:10 – This Episode Was a Masterclass in Dramatic Irony
2:14 – This Bellamy/Madi Team-Up Gives Us LIFE
2:29 – “She Is”
2:41 – We Feel Bad That We Didn’t Get to Talk More About Raven But We’ll Save It For Next Time

Fans have been waiting so long for Clarke and Bellamy to reunite. What should they expect from their reunion in this next episode?
Morley: Obviously there's a little bit of negotiation that's got to take place after the end of Episode 3 before anything can really happen in a kind of non-threatening environment. But I think [fans will] be really happy to see the team reassemble in a way, this adventure squad that will come back and start working together again. I think it's probably best for Bellamy's character to be able to work off somebody like [Clarke] and figure out how he's going to approach all of the other questions that have come up — his sister in the bunker and the 283 sleeping giants, as they're dubbed, up in space and the Eligius crew. They're back to work, I imagine, once they've negotiated some sort of deal with Diyoza and the Eligius team.

Are Bellamy and Clarke able to seamlessly slip back into old patterns or is there a readjustment period after all these years apart?
Morley: I imagine Clarke has definitely changed. She's a surrogate mother now and she's got her family unit and Bellamy's got his Spacekru unit, so it's not necessarily like them and the Hundred versus the world. They both have their own allegiances to different groups now. I think that the partnership and the teamwork will hopefully work the way that it had used to, if not better than it had used to, and they can work as a team. But even though, in a sense, they're still working toward peace and unity, they're doing it for their motives where Bellamy has his family crew, which is the space unit, and Clarke has Madi. And then you throw Octavia in the mix. So in a way they're fighting for the same thing, but for different reasons now.

Madi is Clarke's priority now. How will Bellamy react to Clarke choosing Madi's wellbeing over the wellbeing of everyone else?
Morley: Bellamy had Octavia — and I think Madi is quite a bit younger than Octavia was at the start of the first season — but Bellamy has had that paternal feeling and wanting to protect family. In a sense, I think Bellamy can understand [Clarke] from that perspective. But the situation's obviously different and Bellamy's got his new family unit that he cares deeply for, and also his sister. In the terms of the show, becoming a parental being changes your attitude. So yeah, Clarke may handle things quite differently than the way Bellamy was used to her handling it.

What will Bellamy and Madi's relationship look like?
Morley: I think it's going to be a really interesting dynamic because Bellamy has always had this affinity — even though it's never worked out well — toward kids. There was Charlotte, there was this other young girl he saved from the Ice Nation when getting the water, even in Mount Weather with Lovejoy's son — Bellamy's always felt this need to protect kids. Whether that method of fathering or being a parent actually works for Madi, we'll have to wait to see. But she's definitely a force on her own and she's proven that at the end of Episode 3 when she shoots that guy and saves their lives. It's kind of a role reversal in a way where Madi's a protector of him as well, so the dynamic between Madi and Bellamy is quite an interesting one this season. It's worth keeping an eye on, for sure.

The 100's Bob Morley Reveals What to Expect of That Emotional Bellarke Reunion

Even after everything that has happened on The 100 over the past four seasons, Bellamy Blake is still somehow as hopeful as ever. 

Season five's big threat—a ship full of dangerous prisoners—is unlike anything the survivors have faced before, and they've already proven themselves to be ruthless and armed with terrifying new weapons. But Bellamy (Bob Morley), who finally made it back to the ground in last week's episode, is still determined to negotiate. 

In the clip above, exclusive to E! News, Bellamy faces off against Diyoza (Ivana Milicevic) and uses his control of all the Eligius prisoners still asleep up in space to get her to help him save his sister and a thousand other survivors stuck in the bunker.  

It's a move that's classic Bellamy, but according to Morley, it also comes from the experience he's gained over the past six years of growing in space, and developing a new way of handling situations.

"I mean, Bellamy obviously believes that he can negotiate with them with his new approach of his head and the heart, so you know, hopefully he's feeling that it won't have to come to that and there's the ability to broker peace," Morley tells E! News. "Obviously other people might have different ideas." 

While his optimism is admirable after everything he's been through, Morley says that Bellamy has learned from what has come before, and what really didn't work the first time. 

"The Eligius haven't proven themselves to be as friendly, but you know, the great thing about this show is that it's cyclical in the way that the 100 came down from the sky," he says. "They had technology that the Grounders didn't have, and I think that's a thing Bellamy is trying to prevent, is going through the same mistakes they had done previously. So he lives in hope, but it's a very kind of bleak, dog eat dog world that The 100 creates, so kudos to Bell for believing that." 

The 100's Bob Morley Talks Bellamy's New Optimism in Season 5

TVLINE | I’ve actually been looking forward to speaking with you all season. I’m curious about your thoughts on the Bellamy/Echo pairing.
I imagined something like that would happen. I felt like it was hinted at a little bit at the end of Season 4, so it wasn’t a huge surprise to me. There are obviously still big question marks about why he’s with her, since she did try to kill his sister. The thread of it all is that Bellamy was also a tool of war, and Echo is very similar in that way. They’re both loyal to their people and very aggressive about that. The great thing about this season is that we get to know Echo better, not just as a spy or an assassin. She becomes much more personable. And you see her true nature, which is what Bellamy is really in love with.

TVLINE | I mean, if the rule was that you couldn’t date someone who tried to kill you or one of your relatives, no one would date anyone on this show.
[Laughs] Exactly. And of all the people on the ship, I think it was the most logical pairing, other than maybe Bellamy and Murphy.

TVLINE | How do you feel Bellamy changed during the time jump?
Throughout the season, you’ll see Bellamy making choices you’re not used to him making. There’s a head-and-the-heart approach that Bellamy takes now, which is something I sort of had to wrap my head around. Even the negotiating he did, not just killing all those people up in space. In a way, I feel like the character has been reinvented, which is great for me to play around with.

TVLINE | Do you feel his dynamic with Clarke has changed, as well?
She’s still the inspiration behind the man he’s become today, but she’s obviously changed quite drastically and become somewhat of a parental figure. It’s a hard change for anyone, I imagine. Luckily, Bellamy went through that a little bit with Octavia, though their approaches are quite different. Clarke’s family unit is her and Madi, whereas Bellamy’s has extended to this space crew that he was with for the last six years. So they have different agendas in that sense. They’re not fighting for the 100 or Skaikru anymore; they’re fighting for their own families.

The 100's Bob Morley on Bellamy and Octavia's Difficult Road to Recovery: 'They've Got a Long Way to Go'

5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

So, with iZombie, Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ending, and TheCW expanding to six nights, who else thinks chances are good that The 100 might even be around beyond season six? Surely, not all of their new shows are going to hit.

Jason Rothernberg says he has about three more seasons in him, I think, and it seems to be doing well on Netflix and in the ratings.

Which storylines do you find the most interesting this season?

My own! I think the space story is great. But it’s all gonna be very interesting. There are three very different storylines, and when they come together, it’s gonna be pretty explosive.

One thing that happened in the second episode, obviously, was that Jaha died. And I know you’ve talked about Jaha and Murphy being one of your favorite dynamics.

Yeah. I was sad that Isaiah [Washington] was leaving the show. Isaiah became a friend of mine — and we still remain friends, so I’m not losing a friend — but he was one of my favorite scenes partners on the show. I learned so much from him. And Murphy and Jaha was actually one of my favorite relationships, in that complicated, fucked up way that they were.

And to have him go without Murphy saying goodbye… I actually think Murphy not being able to say goodbye is gonna be hard for him. Not that we ever really touch on it, but in my own mind, I think it’s tough for him. Jaha did mean something to Murphy, in a weird way.

In the four episodes we’ve seen so far, what part of Murphy’s story have you found the most challenging or interesting, as a performer?

I mean, it’s all challenging. But the one I had the most fun with was the scene in episode 3 where Murphy, Echo, Raven and Bellamy talk about killing the prisoners, and Murphy says that they should just float everyone and just go down to Earth.

And they would solve everything that way. But as they explain to me, they don’t wanna do things that way anymore — they don’t wanna be the killers that would do that. And that’s when I say that line, ‘What the hell, let’s be good guys.’ I think that was one of my favorite scenes of the whole season.

Let’s be good guys: ‘The 100’s’ Richard Harmon reflects on Murphy’s season 5 journey so far

Hello and welcome back to Meta Station! We picked up this week with all the Raven and Murphy we didn’t get to last time (with bonus soccer and Murphy being an unexpectedly solid bro), and spent a great deal of time falling head over heels for Lieutenant Zeke Shaw (stop trying to make “Miles” happen, show) as he, in turn, fell head over heels for that pain-in-the-ass computer genius thwarting his every plan. We’re also beside ourselves with glee at all the weird mysterious backstory hints we’re getting, from Order Eleven to the missing Eligius 3, and watching with great excitement as the trio of Diyoza/Shaw/McCreary gets more and more messy with every passing day. True to our brand, we spent nearly an hour and a half on Marcus Kane and his relationships with the women at the heart of this episode – Octavia, Abby and Indra – and the way his very existence threatens the entire social and religious structure of Wonkru. (Does Octavia know she’s literally his new Pike? And HOLY SHIT FAM, has he EVER been more relieved to see Bellamy?????) As a wee preview of our upcoming OTP roundtables, we also each gave ourselves a segment to just explode with feelings about our ships: Erin is HYPED that Clarke and Bellamy each have their partner back, while Claire is stoked as hell that Kane and Abby appear to be headed for a season-long arc where they aren’t separated, and we both lost our shit at both the Bravenlarke reunion, and how beautifully the show is nailing Abby’s addiction storyline so far. Plus bonus Blake feels, and fun with Pandora’s Boxes! HOLY SHIT THIS EPISODE WAS GOOD
----------

0:02 - Murphy and Raven and Useful Uselessness
0:16 - Clarke Is Alive, and the Weight of the World Is Off Raven's Shoulders
0:20 - Clarke Means So Much to So Many, and We Are EMOTIONAL ABOUT IT
0:25 - Season 5 Is Balancing Character with Plot FLAWLESSLY and It Is GLORIOUS
0:32 - We Reject This "Miles" Nonsense
0:35 - Zeke Vs. Raven Was a SHEER DELIGHT
0:43 - Who Changed the Launch Code: Raven or Zeke?
0:47 - Miles Ezekiel Shaw: Already a Double Agent?
0:50 - SPECULATION SPECTACULAR: Raven Edition
0:54 - SPECULATION SPECTACULAR: Eligius Backstory Edition
0:58 - SPECULATION SPECTACULAR: Erin's Grand Unified Shanghaiing Theory of Second Dawn and Order 11
1:06 - SPECULATION SPECTACULAR: "Cure" for What?!?!?! That Creepy Stomach Shit?!?!
1:11 - Diyoza/Clarke Parallels *AIR HORN*
1:17 – McCreary on One Side, Indra On the Other: Fracturing in the Ranks
1:22 – Kane In the Fighting Pit: Myth, Memory, and the Fragility of Blodreina”
1:31 – Octavia Is Not Exactly 100% Pleased to Be Out of the Bunker
1:35 – Kane and the Power of Story, Part 1: Mothers and Memories
1:40 – Kane and the Power of Story, Part 2: Marcus the Dangerous Revolutionary
1:47 – Kane and the Power of Story, Part 3: Forcing Wonkru to Look at Themselves
1:55 – Kane and the Power of Story, Part 4: Rewriting His Own Narrative to Become a Better Man
1:59 – Kane and the Power of Story, Part 5: Forcing Blodreina to Remember Who Octavia Was
2:04 – Bellamy Is NOT Feeling This Whole Metamorphosis Biz
2:16 – If You Didn’t Cry at That Kabby Scene, You’re DEAD INSIDE
2:25 – The Agony of Loving Someone With an Addiction
2:28 – The Last Thing Out of Pandora’s Box Is Abby Griffin
2:39 – Kane and Abby Are the Last Survivors of Their Entire Generation
2:43 – A Bellarke Reunion Scene Uninterrupted by Some Kind of Immediate Crisis? IS IT CHRISTMAS
2:48 – BRAVENLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARKE
2:53 – Other Potential Pandora’s Boxes

0:00 – Hello and Welcome, Let’s Recap All Our Wild Theories That Have Already Been Proved Wrong This Season, and Discuss Our Remaining Ones
0:07 – Niylah kom Wonkru, Human Butcher?
0:11 – Shit Went Down In That Bunker and Miller and Jackson Do NOT Want to Talk to Clarke About It
0:15 – “We Could Have Used You in the Bunker” Presupposes that the Bunker Wouldn’t Have Fucked Up Clarke as Much as It Did Everyone Else
0:17 – Clarke as the New Lincoln
0:22 – Bring Us ALLLLLLLLLLL the Indra vs Cooper Palace Intrigue, Please and Thank You
0:28 – The Great and Terrible Beauty of “All of Me For All of Us”
0:40 – Octavia, Indra, Bellamy, Niylah, and “Love Is Weakness”
0:49 – Gaia, Nightblood Novitiates, and Blodreina’s Succession Plan
0:58 – Madi, #1 Skairipa Stan, Is Unlikely to Fangirl Quite So Hard Over Blodreina
1:01 – Biblical Plagues, Biological Warfare, and Mother/Daughter Mad Scientists: TIME FOR SOME SANDWORM DISCOURSE!!!
1:10 – Clarke and Bellamy Getting to Know Each Other Again
1:20 – Heads and Hearts and Reversals Thereof
1:28 – Okay So Like . . . This Is For SURE a Love Triangle
1:31 – Give Echo a Great Arc This Season That Doesn’t Screw Her Over in the Aforementioned Love Triangle, Please and Thank You
1:39 – Madi and the Road Trip Adventure Squad Was Everything We Never Knew We Wanted
1:43 – Octavia’s “Love Is Weakness” Delusion Is Not Borne Out By Fact
1:48 – Shaw and Raven, Our New OTP
1:50 – The Sinister Magnetism of Paxton McCreary
1:53 – We Love Charmaine Diyoza With Our Entire Hearts
1:59 – Diyoza’s Achilles Heel May Be Underestimating Shaw and Raven
2:06 – Kabby Fans, Please Ease Your Minds, Kane and Abby Are Not Going to Bang Diyoza or McCreary Except In All the Amazing Fanfic We’re Going to Be Getting This Season
2:10 – Abby the Addict vs. Abby the Scientist
2:18 – It’s So Important That the Addiction Storyline Is Also Being Fair to the Emotional Impact on Kane
2:24 – Mr. Abby Griffin Gets His Political Mojo Back and Then Is Immediately Humbled By Tequila and His Failure to Put a Ring On It, In Our New Favorite Kane Scene of the Entire Series
2:31 – Always Take the Second Shot, Diyoza

Avgeropoulos says it’s important to remember that Octavia’s evolution into the Red Queen “wasn’t instantaneous. It was a slow burn that took place over six challenging, painful years.”

“Towards the end of the season, there’s one of my favorites episodes called ‘The Dark Years’ which gives Octavia some emotional redemption,” she teases. “I’m excited for fans to see what happened in those six years during the time jump. They’ll find out more of who Bloodraina really is and how she became that way. It wasn’t easy for her. She lost her innocence and a part of herself.”

Here’s hoping that redemption arc also helps the Blake siblings find peace. Avgeropoulos correctly notes that “Octavia and Bellamy have become incredibly different people. It also doesn’t help that Octavia is starting to see him as an obstacle in her overall game plan — a potential enemy of Wonkru.”

The 100's Marie Avgeropoulos Previews Octavia's 'Emotional Redemption'

I'm glad Octavia Can Do No Wrong, show.

• Love 1

Hey look! Our 506 pod is here for you on a THURSDAY!! That's because Erin is going to visit Claire tomorrow and Claire is on a work deadline, and therefore we had almost no time to edit, so--apologies in advance for all the ums and likes and that one time when Erin's dog experiences VERY LOUD bronchial distress causing Claire to completely forget what she was talking about. Grab up as much Swiss chard and apples as your arms can carry, because Blodreina is coming for your veggies!

0:00 - This Is EditKru Appreciation Week, Because Now You All Get To Hear What We Sound Like Without Them!
3:40 - Diyoza and McCreary and Kane, Oh My!
9:00 - Echo, Raven, and Shaw: Friends or Foes to Kane?
16:00 - This Is a War Over Power Masquerading As a War Over Resources
23:00 - This Episode Shuffles ALLLLLL the Decks When It Comes to Characters' Presumed Loyalies, and WE LOVE IT
27:30 - Et Tu, Niylah??
31:30 - HOW MANY TIMES IN ONE EPISODE CAN OUR HEARTS BREAK FOR CLARKE GRIFFIN
34:30 - Clarke and Bellamy Run Smack Into Their Differing Priorities
42:00 - Octavia Blake: The Only Character Still Fighting for an Abstraction
46:00 - Gaia Has Been Carrying A Torch for The Old Ways (Ba-Dum-Tiss)
53:30 - WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH MADI, BLODREINA (and Gaia and Cooper)
1:00 - Is There a Way to Bring Octavia Back from "Blodreina"?
1:10 - We Love This New Healthy-Emotional-Boundaries Bellamy SO FREAKIN MUCH and We Are SO PROUD OF HIM
1:27 - Listen, "We've All Done Things We Shouldn't Be Forgiven For But Are" Is a HUUUUUUGE Character-Revealing Moment for Bellamy
1:40 - Soft Bearded Space Dad Bellamy Is the Same Badass Will-Do-Anything-For-His-Family Bellamy We Have Always Known & Loved
1:48 - Bellamy and Clarke Have Different Centers of Emotional Gravity Now, and Everyone Feels Weird About It
1:51:30 - A Brief Interlude for Canine Bronchial Distress
1:52:30 - Annnndddd Back to Business
1:57 - Bellamy Blake: Macrame Enthusiast
1:59 - You're Making It Real Hard for Us to Root For Memori, John
2:08 - Murphy, McCreary, and Murphy's Dark Night of the Soul?
2:12 - ECHO IS A SMART, SAVVY, SELFLESS BAMF AND WE LOVE HER WITH ALL OUR HEARTS, DON'T @ US (no, seriously, please don't @ us)
2:20:30 - Roan Is a Centaur Now
2:23:30 - Becho and Madi Anchor the Emotional Stakes of the Political Plot
2:28:45 - On Shipping, (Not) Multishipping, and Managing Emotions

We had LOOOOOOTS to say about this episode!! (*laughs nervously and looks an runtime*) Jasper and Monty! Clarke and Monty! Octavia and Indra! Kara Cooper going full-on war criminal! Blodreina using everyone else's hypocrisy to excuse her own amoral strategic choices! Kabby and Recho breaking ALL our hearts! SHAW AND DIYOZA BACKSTORY THAT WE WOULD TOTALLY WATCH AN ENTIRE TV SHOW EXPLORE SAY HOW'S THAT PREQUEL COMING JASON ROTHENBERG?!?! This was a fun one, fam!

3:00 - Make It Mean Something: Jasper, Monty, & The Letter (TW: lots of suicide mentions)
21:00 - How Jasper Breaks the Cycle of War
28:00 - Jonty and the Struggle to See Outside the Cycle
34:00 - Madi Kom Clarkekru, the One True Breaker of Cycles?
36:00 - Could Madi Save Octavia from Blodreina?
40:30 - Bellamy, Clarke, Blodreina, and Interrogating "I Do It For 'My People'"
54:30 - The Return of Heart Over Head Bellamy (Your Plans Suck, But We Still Love You)
1:00 - Power Vs Powerlessness and Inevitability Vs Choice
1:04 - Ecosystems Are Another Cycle Being Broken, Which Is...Probably Not Great?
1:07 - Chekhov's Algae: Is Monty the Key to Salvation This Season?
1:16:30 - "Let's talk about WOOORMMMSSS!" Claire Sings Through Her Nausea (But We Quickly Segue to Octavia and Indra Because Ewwwww Worms)
1:30 - The Myth of Skairipa Vs. the Myth of Blodreina: Pluralism Vs. Totalitarianism
1:37:15 - RAVEN AND ECHO ARE FRANDS ...Until They're Not And Our Hearts Get BROKEN
1:52 - We Are LIVING for This Shaw and Diyoza Backstory
2:01 - Speculation-palooza: The Many Exciting Ways the Show Could Shuffle the Decks, Loyalty-Wise
2:10:30 - STOP! Kabby Time!
2:40 - Baby, You're a Game Changer