Type keyword(s) to search

The Grounder Gazette: the 100 in the Media

In2You

Six years of peace and prosperity in space is not really what I was expecting.  I guess they got everything working well enough to have comfortable life on the station.  Might that mean they are a year late coming down because they decided not to?

On 25/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, CooperTV said:

'The 100' season 5 spoilers: Eliza Taylor Teases Clarke Will Be a Kick-Ass Mom to Madi

"There will be a huge battle over the area. Clarke will not be willing to give it up and will fight to the death for it."

ORLY?

I feel like this show is so stuck on parallels and call-backs that it's holding it back from reaching its true potential. There's so much they can do with the world-building aspect (or could have done), but now we're gonna get a season one rehash, with Clarke in the role of the Grounders and the former prisoners as the new Sky Crew.

I love the characters and even though the show gets tedious at times, I still stick with it because of them, but it's frustrating seeing the writers squander their chance at writing a truly great show. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

I feel like this show is so stuck on parallels and call-backs that it's holding it back from reaching its true potential. There's so much they can do with the world-building aspect (or could have done), but now we're gonna get a season one rehash, with Clarke in the role of the Grounders and the former prisoners as the new Sky Crew.

Exactly how I felt watching season four after being disappointed with season three. At some point, parallels and call backs just become shorthand and cut and paste. Unfortunately, the characters I like are becoming fewer while the annoying ones stick around, so I've lost the enjoyment of watching. I don't care for most of the characters anymore due to ridiculous and/or repetitive writing of characters and lack of fleshed out motivations. 

I can't recall if I've read your current sentiments in anyone else's posts, but they're bang on in this case. Most of what I've read outlines the callbacks and parallels as brilliant story construction and poignant character moments. I just saw a rehash for the sake of swapping characters into similar situations whether they fit or not.

Anyways, enjoy your viewing. Maybe season five will surprise you.

The-100-season-4.jpeg

The 100 has always been a story about warring sects of people fighting for survival and dominance, making a point that no matter how much the world changes, at its core, humanity will continue to make the same mistakes as our ancestors, falling into ever-shifting constellations of us versus them, right versus wrong; too focused on winning over ‘the other side’ (and justifying why their own side is ‘right’) to look at the big picture. In The 100 humanity is, as humanity has always been, its own worst enemy.

It is also an overtly relativist narrative, always careful to remind us that anyone considers herself the hero of her own story, and that multiple subjective ‘truths’ govern our actions and opinions at any given time.

At its best, The 100 expands the limits of both its characters’ and viewers’ empathy for and understanding of ‘the other,’ the multiple conflicting perspectives guiding the various main characters’ actions illustrating the sometimes hard-to-grasp fact that just because someone else’s worldview differs from yours doesn’t make it wrong.

But perhaps, underneath the thought-provoking exploration of the human condition (valuable on its own, certainly), there is a grander message to be derived: perhaps, in the science fiction tradition, The 100 is ultimately a story of evolution and progress, in which the human race will eventually break away from the patterns of the past towards a brighter future.

‘We’re all Grounders now’: Humanity, tribalism and the pursuit of unity on The CW’s ‘The 100’

the-100-season-5-spoilers.jpg

Mike Dopud, most recently seen as Power baddie Jason Micic, has been cast in the CW drama’s upcoming fifth season, our sister site Deadline reports, playing Vinson, one of the prisoners aboard the mysterious ship that landed in the Season 4 finale. Vinson may have the swagger of an upstanding intellectual, but make no mistake — he’s a “ruthless serial killer, terrifying enough to keep even the worst of the criminals on their toes.”

The 100 Season 5: Power's Mike Dopud Cast as Ruthless Serial Killer

Octagon will finally find her match?

• Love 2

Warner Bros. TV and Warner Bros. Animation have unveiled their WonderCon 2018 lineup which will happen during the weekend of March 23-25 in Anaheim, CA.

6:00–7:00 p.m, Room North 200A The 100 Special Video Presentation and Q&A — Season 5 premiere airs Tuesday, April 24 at 9/8c on The CW and this will be a sneak peek. More than six years have passed since Praimfaya has ravaged the planet and killed most of the human race. As Clarke waits to hear from the group on the Ark, or in the bunker, a prison ship drops from the sky. Are they friend or foe?  And what do they want? Q&A with series stars Eliza Taylor, Bob Morley, Christopher Larkin, Lindsey Morgan, Richard Harmon and Tasya Teles and producer Jason Rothenberg.

‘Black Lightning’, ‘Krypton’, ‘The 100’ & More Part Of WBTV’s WonderCon Footprint

cover.jpg

The 100‘s resident outlaw Emori is one of those polarizing characters who causes divisions among the show’s passionate fanbase. Some love her cunning wits and determination to survive, while others can’t get past her self-centeredness and morally dubious choices. Still others identify with her tragic backstory and resultant distrust of humanity. But no matter what you think of her, we can all agree she’s had it rough. Her painful but vague backstory as a mutant cast out by Grounder society was further explored in season 4, though it left us with more unanswered questions. Thankfully, actor Luisa d’Oliveira was kind enough to give us some time and answers in our latest installment of the Ladies of Sci-Fi interview series.

Television Luisa d’Oliveira on Emori’s Trust Issues and Troubled Past

180308-eliza-taylor-bob-morley-the-100.j

Whether you're totally shipping The 100's Bellamy (Bob Morley) and Clarke (Eliza Taylor) or you'd prefer they keep their relationship platonic, it's hard to deny that these two are absolute magic on screen together. They're so great, in fact, that we couldn't help but put together some of their best moments!

From the jump back in Season 1, they both established themselves as great leaders (with very different methods and management styles, of course), who could and would be able to help their little group of delinquents survive on the ground. That mission got harder and harder as the days dragged, but thanks to their partnership, Bellamy and Clarke always managed to make it through.

10 Times The 100's Bellarke Gave You the Feels

The 100 star Richard Harmon speaks to Hypable about Murphy’s challenges, friendships, and inner demons in season 5.

On March 10-11, Hypable attended Walker Stalker Con in London to chat with the cast of The 100 and learn more about season 5, which premieres April 24 on The CW.

Aside from moderating the main panel with stars Eliza Taylor, Richard Harmon and Sachin Sahel, we also conducted a couple of longer interviews during the weekend.

In The 100 season 4 finale, Murphy was one of seven characters that went to space, to ride out the five-year aftermath of Praimfaya on what remains on the Ark. In the finale flash forward sequence, we find out that six years later, they still haven’t returned to the surface.

What has happened to Murphy and the others? What has it been like for Murphy to be stuck in space for so long, with this particular group of people? What will happen when he returns to the ground?

Here, The 100 star Richard Harmon previews Murphy’s arc in The 100 season 5, what challenges he will face, how he and Emori will get along in space, and why peace time is so hard for him. Enjoy!

Choices, wolves and venom: Richard Harmon previews Murphy’s journey in ‘The 100’ season 5 (exclusive)

“Madi is a kid, much younger than the 100 were when they came to the ground, so she has a different perspective,” says the actress of her character in comparison to others on the series. “As to whether she is the light in the darkness, this is ‘The 100’ – nothing is ever just black and white.”

Focusing on the fact that Madi really is a kid and had been raised by Clarke following Praimfaya, the teaser for season five released at San Diego Comic Con showed that Clarke would tell the younger girl stories of her friends. “Madi has heard about these people her whole life from Clarke’s stories, and from those stories, she envisions them a certain way,” explains Lola. “They’re not always going to live up to that picture she has created in her head, for better or worse.”

Clarke’s close and intimate relationship with Bellamy has fans eager to see what his relationship with Madi will be like, as she’s now the closest person to Clarke since he departed for space six years prior.

Lola teases, “Like the rest of the people important to Clarke, Madi knows about Bellamy. What she has been told will inform her opinion. Ultimately, how they meet and the circumstances that follow will really define whatever relationship they have.”

Lola Flanery Begins Her Mark on TV

Jackson is one of the original characters that has been with The 100 from the very beginning; starting out as Abby’s mentee, his role has expanded over the years as we’ve learned tidbits of information about him (like his first name!). Perhaps the biggest shake-up for the character came in late season 4, when it was strongly hinted that Jackson would have a romantic interest: Miller (Jarod Joseph), whose boyfriend Bryan (Jonathan Whitesell) was lost to the great Beyond.

Not only is this an exciting development, but it’s particularly exciting for fans of Jackson, who have been hoping to see more of his character. Up until now, Jackson has mainly interacted with and cared about Abby, but a relationship with Miller — of whatever nature — opens up new possibilities for the character in The 100 season 5.

At Walker Stalker Con in London 2018, I spoke to Sachin Sahel about this potential new development, Jackson’s story so far, the benefits of a six-year time jump, and why he is so attached to the world of The 100. And then we did some Hogwarts House sorting, because reasons. Enjoy!

‘There’s no way to prepare for ‘The 100′ season 5’: Sachin Sahel teases Jackson, Mackson and time jump surprises

the-100-spoilers-season-5.jpg

Outer space is apparently a lot like Vegas: What happens up there stays up there, you have to gamble to win, and you never know who you’ll find by your side when the journey inevitably comes to an end.

At least that’s what we took away from our trip to The 100‘s Vancouver set, where TVLine was among the outlets permitted to squeeze some Season 5 scoop from the cast. As you may recall, Season 4 ended with several characters going into orbit to escape the Death Wave, and a lot has changed in the six years they spent up there.

Let’s start with Raven, who has apparently become “Bellamy’s number two,” according to Lindsey Morgan.

“I think he’ll always fall into that natural leadership position, even though he was kind of the unlikely leader in the beginning,” Morgan says of Bellamy. “Raven has never been really a leader, which is why I kind of like her. She was always the intel, basically. A soldier, if anything. But I think you see this season … [that] Bellamy calls the shots, but Raven is so integral to the success of [the group] that they really depend on each other in a very pivotal way. I think it’s cool for Raven to have more leadership and to step up like that.”

The 100 Preview: Raven and Bellamy Are 'Forever Bonded' in Season 5

Since the very beginning, the relationship between Clarke (Eliza Taylor) and Bellamy (Bob Morley) has been a foundation of The 100's narrative, but that doesn't mean it has been a smooth ride. They started as more-or-less enemies, eventually growing to become friends and trusted allies. Where will we find them in The 100 Season 5, after the big time jump?

Den of Geek was part of a group of reporters who visited The 100 set in November. While there, we talked to Morley and Taylor about what to expect from their characters in The 100 Season 5. Here's what they had to say...

"[Clarke]'s also focused on her unit, her family unit, which is Madi," teased Morley. "And, I have my Spacekru and they really deviate in that sense. There's no longer this community of The 100. Everyone's got their people now. There's a lot of the 'my people,' 'your people' stuff, as per usual, but in this particular season, it's very definitive as to who people are loyal to, so that dictates where their relationship is and where it goes."

Taylor also touched on the shifted loyalties following the big time jump, saying: "There's a lot of changes. There's a lot. Obviously, it's probably no secret that we will be reunited with both the people underground and the people in space. Yeah, a lot has happened. A lot of people have changed quite dramatically."

Taylor's comments, in particular, left the door open for the possibility of pre-time jump relationships and loyalties to endure.

"A few have new loyalties, a few are the same," said Taylor. "There's a couple in particular who are very, very different, but there's still going to be that bond and that sense of family. I can't wait for people to see the actual reuniting of the entire group. It's pretty cool."

The 100 Season 5: Bellarke's Post-Time Jump Status

Marie Avgeropoulos plays Octavia and talked about her struggles, saying, “There's a lot of old resentments among all the clans and old resentments don't die. So she has to come up with a very Octavia way to maintain order among the groups.”

She teased this foreboding tidbit: “Resources are running extremely low and actually come to a halt so we have to come up with a new tactic... of nutritioning our bodies.”

Luckily, she has her general Indra by her side. Adina Porter explained, “We get to spend a lot of time together since underground there aren't a lot of places you can go. I get to spend time with both my daughters, my faith-based flame keeper daughter Gaia, and my warrior daughter Octavia. So yes, we are still close.”

The 6-Year Jump, Big Reunion and More: 'The 100' Cast Teases What’s Ahead in Season 5!

Forget everything you used to think you knew about The 100—or almost everything. 

Season five of The CW drama is just about a month away from finally returning, and pretty much everything is different except for one thing: everyone is still fighting desperately for survival.

The new promo above, exclusive to E! News, declares that there are no more bad guys, no more good guys, only survivors left to fight for this one little green patch of earth that remains after the death wave at the end of season four.

The 100 Sneak Peek Declares No Bad Guys, No Good Guys, Only Survivors

Edited by CooperTV
7 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Of all the storylines, Octavia's is the only one I'm dreading. I can't help but cringe every time she's on screen. 

Bob Morley said that this season is again all about Octavia, and yeah, I cannot deal with her edgy specialness on my screen anymore.

9 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Bob Morley said that this season is again all about Octavia, and yeah, I cannot deal with her edgy specialness on my screen anymore.

Octavia went from 'girl under the floor' to 'girl under the ground'.

She's probably 'the chosen one' or something like that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

She's probably 'the chosen one' or something like that.

I'm at the point with Octavia as a character when I just actively ignore her existence, she's written so badly.

__

Media Updates:

the-100-spoilers-octavia-interview.jpg

Uniting all people under one crew remains Octavia’s goal in The 100‘s fifth season — premiering Tuesday, April 24 at 9/8c on The CW — but reaching that level of peace might require her to get a little… chaotic.

“It sounds easier than it actually is to achieve, so she comes up with this very destructive and dark path to create peace,” Marie Avgeropoulos told TVLine and other outlets during a recent trip to the show’s set. “We definitely take it to some really dark places.”

Speaking of darkness, Avgeropoulos teases a “really interesting dark twist in Season 5 that we can’t tell you much about … but resources are running extremely low and actually come to a halt, so we have to come up with a new tactic … of nutritioning our bodies.” (Am I crazy for guessing cannibalism?)

The 100 Star Previews Octavia's 'Destructive and Dark' Path in Season 5

the-100-season-5-slice-600x200.png

Last fall, a group of journalists and I were invited to the sets of The 100 in Vancouver to talk with the cast and tour the new locations for Season 5. As always, the sets were incredibly intricate, with so much care given to making the post-apocalyptic vibe feel real (almost too real!) And also per usual, details on the new season were kept pretty much under wraps, but star Eliza Taylor was able to give us a few hints and tidbits about what fans can expect from the upcoming character reunions, the relationship she has with Madi, and more:

QUESTION: How have things changed for Clarke now that she’s essentially raising a young girl?

TAYLOR: I think it’s great. It’s done a lot. I mean, she’s gone through tremendous loss in her life […] We thought that she was going to be alone at the end of, well, towards the end of Season 4. But now having this little sidekick who she loves with all her heart, a surrogate daughter-type, she’s found some sort of peace and happiness, until of course the prison ship comes down.

‘The 100’: Eliza Taylor on Reunions, Clarke’s New Responsibilities, & Dramatic Changes

Edited by CooperTV

Uniting all people under one crew remains Octavia’s goal in The 100‘s fifth season — premiering Tuesday, April 24 at 9/8c on The CW — but reaching that level of peace might require her to get a little… chaotic.

Octavia is only getting around to uniting the various crews now -- it's been 5 years, what has she been waiting for ?

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Octavia is only getting around to uniting the various crews now -- it's been 5 years, what has she been waiting for ?

They want useless dramatic scenes in the present or these are just flashbacks.

Although it's been less than a year since viewers saw them together, when Season 5 picks up, it will have been six long years since Bellamy (Bob Morley) and Clarke (Eliza Taylor) last said goodbye. A lot has happened since then — including Clarke adopting a young Nightblood child Madi (Lola Flanery) — but that won't make their eventual reunion any less impactful, especially given that Bellamy has believed Clarke to be dead this entire time.

"It's really powerful and surprising the way it plays out," creator Jason Rothenberg tells TV Guide. "He doesn't find out she's alive from [Clarke] or from the reunion moment. Who tells him is kind of a cool reveal [and] surprise too. But it blows his mind. They've all sort of internalized the fact that she died to save them and there's talk of her in space before they come down, so it's a huge shock to them, for sure, and it changes a lot of things."

"Clarke says to him at the end of [Season 4] that he has to use his head and his heart and I think he's really taken that on board and applying that," Morley explains. "[This mentality has] really forced him to become much more level-headed and understanding of other people. So in that respect, thinking that she has died has made him a much more grounded and level-headed person."

The 100's Bob Morley Teases What to Expect of Bellamy and Clarke's Emotional Reunion

Hypable is, well, hyping season 5.

The 100 has always pushed its own limits and challenged its audience to trust and follow it to new and thought-provoking places. And I have usually been willing to follow it when it ventures past the possible and into the impossible. Whatever the specific story developments, I always take a lot of joy in watching the writing and story crafting process unfold on screen.

The season 4 finale, “Praimfaya,” took a greater leap of faith than the show has ever taken before, ending the world for a second time and propelling the audience six years into the future, picking up with lead character Clarke Griffin (Eliza Taylor) as the only ‘Grounder’ left on the planet’s surface, her friends exiled either in space or in an underground bunker.

The season ended with the arrival of the newest group of survivors: prisoners that were sent to a mining colony more than 100 years ago, and have only just now found their way back to Earth.

The ‘6 years later’ reveal was shocking. It was exciting. It was a little nerve-wracking. The 100 had just written a massive blank check — would season 5 be able to cash it? (After all, there are plenty of shows that use the time jump plot device as a stand-in for actual progress and development!)

The short answer is yes.

The slightly longer answer can be found below. Whether you are a fan of the show curious about what lies ahead, or a not (yet) a fan, but wondering if it’s worth giving The 100 season 5 a chance, read on…

Previewing ‘The 100’ season 5: What to expect from ‘Eden’ and beyond