Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Come to Jesus

(edited)

I'm not a fan of Kristin. I haven't really watched anything with her in it, so the feeling is completely irrational. But her squeaky little voice, excessive tan, and little miniature barbie doll look bug me to no end.  That being said, this role was perfect for her. The sunshiny perfect personality with an undertone of grit was played very well. I look forward to seeing more!

I also really like the character of Laura. She's unapologetic-ally unlikable, which makes her likable.  I'm so hooked on this show!  That season went by too quickly!

Edited by LadyArcadia
  • Love 5

Do everyone get the moral of this Overall-Story?
It's brilliant. "When people believe in something Gods are born." As of now - We all worship New Gods, technology (the distribution tool) and mass media ( the content ) linked with the freedom to trade products, tools and content across the world, so called globalization.

However, In a genius ending Niel gives us a short summary what "Old Gods" means. Where Mr. Wednesday describes how "When people believe in something Gods are born. The Godness Ostaro was created by or gave the people Spring, a time when everything in the earth grows again, one of the four season of the year. Where she in one swoop removes or rather rewinds time itself before her season begins. When Everything is about to start living...
Watching the ending scenarios with its birdeye camerashoots of Earth and how each season effects plantage, wildlife and vegetation gave me a thinker. How it must've been for people in the old times, how magical, how unknowing and truly beautiful weather and climate controls everything around them. And worshiping Old Gods isn't about a power-struggle but given faith to all things given to us. All things that in the end.. matters.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, yagathai said:

I also used to dislike Cheno, for man of the same reasons, but she's grown on me by just being excellent in everything she's in. How can you not respect a tiny woman with such huge talent? Plus when she pulled off the whole "letting my hair down and ravaging the crops" I was totally like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkvRrxI4R6c.

You know... I think I'm finally getting to this point: I strongly dislike the type of character that she often plays, but she plays the *heck* out of those roles and they're important characters for understanding American culture so... I'm super glad that she exists and consistently slams it out of the park.  

I loved the role she got here, though.  Easter may be pretty flipping insufferable in public but when you get her one-on-one and start to bring out sides of her that aren't Hallmark, lady has some steel to her and some mighty fine insights.  I commented last week about *loving* the quiet ways that Jacquel and Ibis celebrate and highlight one another's expertise... here, she just got to just simply *show* her expertise.  Sharp woman.  And I particularly loved putting her and Laura together.  Sharp women being sharp together.  Ostara may be willing to work with Wednesday, but she has no problem keeping the pot boiling in the background by giving Laura just enough information to work with (once she engages in a wee ickle bit of enhanced interrogatin').

I'm also really impressed by how Chenoweth and Whittle managed to play about sixteen thousand different layers in their interactions.  For the first time, you really see why Laura called Shadow "Puppy."  But directed at not only someone who's not Laura but who's about at far from DeadWifeLaura as possible (you know... other than the sharp af aspect).  And they did an impressive job of both embodying and ignoring the power dynamics of the Long Dang Catastrophic History of Interactions between Southern white women of privilege and black men, which have, as Media would point out, a serious branding problem.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ombre said:

And they did an impressive job of both embodying and ignoring the power dynamics of the Long Dang Catastrophic History of Interactions between Southern white women of privilege and black men, which have, as Media would point out, a serious branding problem.

I can't forget that Whittle is actually British. Obviously he gets racism but the American Black experience is very specific.   I think that's why Orlando Jones hit a home run with his first monologue.  Maybe it is unfair to Whittle.  But I didn't get that Southern lady / black man vibe at all.  I just saw flirting. 

Regarding the ambiguity of the Mad Sweeney/Laura relationship (especially since so many people are shipping it), this interview had an interesting exchange between the actors:

Pablo S: [The reveal of Mad Sweeney's involvement in Laura's death] really colours and effects the entire relationship between these two for every episode that's come before this. Without that secret [that I killed her] it can easily become this antagonistic relationship between these two people who just hate each other and are just screaming at each other, and without the depth of that guilt that he's feeling, it colours the reason why he has so much feeling for her, and wants to right this wrong that he did.

Emily B: And it's the only explanation for why he would put the coin back in her chest. I think if he hadn't killed her in the first place he would have been just "good riddance."  He probably would have just left her there, because she's not particularly friendly to him.

Pablo S: And there's another .... no she hasn't. But some people really like ... some people are really into that.  Maybe he's into ... he's clearly into torture.

He's not explicit, but it definitely felt like Pablo was suggesting Mad Sweeney has a crush. 

5 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I can't forget that Whittle is actually British. Obviously he gets racism but the American Black experience is very specific.   I think that's why Orlando Jones hit a home run with his first monologue.  Maybe it is unfair to Whittle.  But I didn't get that Southern lady / black man vibe at all.  I just saw flirting. 

Right, that's what I meant by embodying it and ignoring it.  It was horrifically uncomfortable on the level of knowing American history, but it added to the sense of DANGER!!!  GET OUT OF THERE, SHADOW!!!  It's a subtext that deepens the sense that there are systemic forces at work and that if they're ignored it will be ignored at Shadow's peril.

I strongly believe that this show is doing a lot of subtle work with discomfort and bringing up (and ignoring) really touchy stuff to help guide overall sentiment without having to make overt statements about *everything*.  Which is smart, since the overt statements are seen as heavy-handed.  The post-show interview from the guns episode was entirely a discussion of how they tried to tread lightly and work subtly on a hot topic, but the reception makes it clear that their attempts to do delicate work didn't fly.  Is that because they danced too delicately?  Because audiences in this moment see everything through highly polarized lenses?  I wish there were a way to know how this would have been received in a different world, whether a less polarized world would have caught that they were trying to make a statement about the dangers of a specific type of extremism (or, rather, about extremism, specifically) rather than a blanket Guns Ar Bad argument.  But that's not possible, so I'm intrigued by the other stuff that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up while you're watching it, but that doesn't come up in discussions.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

He's not explicit, but it definitely felt like Pablo was suggesting Mad Sweeney has a crush. 

There's also a nostalgia to the whole thing too. She looks just like the woman from the flashback episode, and he remembers her as someone who believed in him and brought him to America, so maybe he's hoping she'll turn out the same. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Regarding the ambiguity of the Mad Sweeney/Laura relationship (especially since so many people are shipping it), this interview had an interesting exchange between the actors:

Pablo S: [The reveal of Mad Sweeney's involvement in Laura's death] really colours and effects the entire relationship between these two for every episode that's come before this. Without that secret [that I killed her] it can easily become this antagonistic relationship between these two people who just hate each other and are just screaming at each other, and without the depth of that guilt that he's feeling, it colours the reason why he has so much feeling for her, and wants to right this wrong that he did.

Emily B: And it's the only explanation for why he would put the coin back in her chest. I think if he hadn't killed her in the first place he would have been just "good riddance."  He probably would have just left her there, because she's not particularly friendly to him.

Pablo S: And there's another .... no she hasn't. But some people really like ... some people are really into that.  Maybe he's into ... he's clearly into torture.

Bryan Fuller and Yetide Badaki (Bilquis) ship "Swoon" too. 

I like how in that interview and a few others, Bryan, Michael, and pretty much everyone else in the cast agreed that there really wasn't anyone else who could've played Essie. To quote Orlando Jones: "It has to be the same woman." 

Holy shit. That was amazing. Normally while watching this show I want to lick Ricky Whittle but damn, Kristen Chenowith and Gillian Anderson's skin looked so gorgeous, i wanted to lick their faces, heavy cream and caramel.

TMI?

It took a whole season to get us to the verge of the holy war. I'm interested to see how the TV show handles what comes next. Orlando Jones was hypnotic, and I don't mind Bilquis not having too much dialogue--her power is in her gorgeous eyes, her smile, her seductive aura. Problematic when the character and actress are dark-skinned, but it works (for me) within the context of the show.

I just saw Jeremy Davies on Twin Peaks and he shows up here, all haloed and talking Jesusy nonsense (no offense). Getting the too-much-TV spins.

• Love 2

Even though I know the thing about Shadow saying he didn't even know his real name when Mr. Nancy was making their suits was to set up the whole KABOOM LIGHTNING I AM THE ALLFATHER moment, it annoyed the crap out of me, especially because of Shadow's exact dialogue. He complained that they met on a Wednesday and dude says "well it's my day". In a vacuum, sure that complaint makes sense. Except Shadow has now seen others call him that. The way Shadow kvetched about it made it seem like it were something he obviously made up on the spot on the plane, but if other people without prompting have called him the same damn thing, then even if Shadow believes it is not his real real name, it's clearly something a whole bunch of people do call him. The tone of the exchange did not ring true to me.

That said, there was this brief moment when he first looked at Chenowith where Whittle did this sort of flinch-scrunch vaguely rabbitey looking twitch with his face I thought was some great acting because it was subtle, and fit in with his overall general reaction to her, without being completely heavy handed. I liked that.

• Love 2

She's clearly rotting, so the clock it ticking. I am guessing only Odin would be able to do it though since Easter said she couldn't. Which means Odin will want to extract a price for it, if in fact Shadow is the one who wants her to live. I actually hope he doesn't though. Which means Sweeny would step up, and that's more interesting. 

There's also the question of whether resurrection is something Odin is even capable of doing—I don't recall that being in his mythological purview. Whereas it's right in the wheelhouse of Ostara (and Jesus).

On 6/19/2017 at 2:06 PM, WaltersHair said:

I want to say, I'm very happy they're using actresses in their 40's as sexy women and not relegated to roles as  'mothers'. Kristen and Gillian still look great.

Hell, they even gave an actress in her 90s a nice romantic moment that was lit and shot like one for performers a third of her age would have been. That doesn't happen very often; if women of her age are treated as having love lives at all it's usually for comedy horny grandma style.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:46 PM, ganesh said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the new gods could win this war given how many old gods there are. That means the new ones have to have comparatively a super high god-power density.

There are several factors at play, including that as it says on the tin this is a story about the American versions of the gods. Places around the world where technology's influence is lessened and pagan religions are more prominent aren't involved. And the recipients of most of the religious devotion in the US appear to be a neutral party (which goes with that whole Prince of Peace thing).

He probably would have to give his permission to resurrect, and I'm sure it would come with a price. 

24 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

There are several factors at play, including that as it says on the tin this is a story about the American versions of the gods.

Ok, but Odin and Easter were still fairly powerful. Mr Nancy seems powerful. There's still pagan religions in the USA, but I don't know how powerful they would be. 

Ostara said she can't interfere with a death caused by a god, so Odin may have to give her the ok before she will act.  If she were siding with the New Gods, then I bet she would do it as a way to stick it to Odin.

Unless Shadow could resurrect her if he becomes the buffalo god. Which I just remembered when they kissed in the hotel, her heart beat. Which also could be Odin's long con: kill her, meet up with Shadow, trigger Shadow to become god and tip the balance in Odin's favor against the new gods. 

• Love 1

ON 6/18/2017 AT 3:22 PM, DAKOTALAVENDER SAID:

I have not read the books so for me the story seems totally undeveloped. 

It is my belief that the people who are in love with the show have read the book.  I like the filming and most of the cast is first rate but I cannot say this is something I will miss if I never watch again.  Nothing much happened at all.  And I don't like the Laura character at all.

• Love 1

I think so. I haven't read the book, but I'm interested enough to watch the next season. If there isn't one, I can't say it would bother me either. I don't know if this has inspired me to buy the book though. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know, maybe some of the people who love the show are the people who love the book because they know where the story is going, but I don't think that's totally true. At least, its not my reason. I mean, I LOVE the book, have loved it for years, but I was really nervous about the show, because its a hard story to adapt, partially because of its slow, episodic nature, and I didn't want to see a book I loved turn into a mediocre product. I have really enjoyed the show, and I don't think its because I know where the story is going. Partially because I'm really NOT sure where its all going, because they've changed quite a bit, and the writers seem to be very open to doing new things. If anything, I've been a bit harsher than people who didn't read the book on the show sometimes. I think the show is slow moving, but not in a boring or pointless way. The book takes a long time getting to the plot, because its more a story about American and its history and culture than about a big complicated plot. I have certainly criticized aspects of the show, both as an adaptation of a book I love, and as a series standing on its own, but this is just the sort of thing I like to watch, and I have really loved the season, regardless of my feelings towards the book.

That being said, I totally get this not being everyone's cup of tea. Like I said, the book and the show have a really slow pace and are filled with lots of weird, lyrical storytelling that don't always line up with traditional plot points. I'm a fan of the slow burn, and am a huge sucker for world mythology, so this whole thing is basically made for me, book or not. I mean, one of my favorite shows on TV is The Americans, a spy show where half the action involves people sitting in cars in empty parking lots, so this is just how I roll.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, gibasi said:

It is my belief that the people who are in love with the show have read the book.  I like the filming and most of the cast is first rate but I cannot say this is something I will miss if I never watch again.  Nothing much happened at all.  And I don't like the Laura character at all.

I haven't read the book and I love the show. Maybe people just like different things.

• Love 9

I'm a fan of the show and I'm not a book reader. I'd probably prefer what the show is at this point to the book because of the expansion of peripheral characters -- especially the women. I appreciate that they're giving the women such nuance and we're seeing them portrayed in ways we never really get to see. I also don't mind the pacing because I love character-driven stories -- I'm ready to develop when they are. Plot is important for sure, but give me interesting characters, and I'll happily watch them try to navigate their way out of a paper bag. 

• Love 3

As a book reader, I'm loving this expansion of the material.

As an unsullied, my Mrs is loving the journey and speculation far more than I.

As said above, different people just like different things.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, gibasi said:

I am enjoying the show - I don't know if I love it.  But, I read the book a while ago and don't even remember what happened.  I remember the house on the rock and that there were a lot of gods.  You could torture me, I couldn't tell you how it ends.  So, because of that, I think the filmmakers are doing a great job.  This is memorable.  Maybe I need real faces.  Maybe Gaiman needs to meander less.

• Love 1

I am enjoying the show - I don't know if I love it.  But, I read the book a while ago and don't even remember what happened.  I remember the house on the rock and that there were a lot of gods.  You could torture me, I couldn't tell you how it ends.  So, because of that, I think the filmmakers are doing a great job.  This is memorable.  Maybe I need real faces.  Maybe Gaiman needs to meander less.

I didn't say I didn't like it.  I like it okay and really liked the filming.  I just don't know if I will watch next season.  It just depends on my life and what is going on.  And I don't feel any urgent need to find out what happens next.  People mention liking character driven shows; I am all about them.  The Americans was specifically mentioned.  I love The Americans and want to know what happens next.  So we know a war is coming in American Gods but since I am not invested enough in the characters to see how they make out in this war.  We get little vignettes of each of the gods but there isn't a real exploration of them.  Odin?  Nope.  Laura?  We saw more of the character of Laura as the Irish girl (Tess?) than as Laura.  We are supposed to think they are the same right?  Same birth line or something?  I feel like Odin and Shadow are the main characters and they haven't been developed enough.  And I love Ian McShane!

I'm wild about the show, but haven't read the book. I'm a diehard, ride or die Bryan Fuller fan, tho, so perhaps that's the explanation.  Or, yeah. People just like different things.

• Love 2

Interesting episode, but I was a little confused (and I've read the book). Because i thought Odin wanted to go to war with the new gods because the old gods have been forgotten and have lost their powers. But he was literally able to call down the thunder and Ostara was able to wipe out all that plant life. So what exactly are they fighting for?

This Shadow is such a cipher that it's hard to feel any investment in him.  Eight episodes in the only things we really know about him is that he doesn't question or react to much and he goes along with pretty much anything.  And I feel like I mostly already learned that in the episode giving us Laura's backstory.  Otherwise, he's mostly been a big (if attractive) blank to ride shotgun on Wednesday's adventures and exclaim "I believe" at the end.

• Love 1

The old gods want their prominence again and want to be worshipped. That's the pitch to Easter: they call it your day but it's not about you anymore, and people don't remember your impact on the world. 

Or Vulcan: energy bullet shot in a movie theater is a prayer to me. 

They're capricious. That's really it. 

I've read the book at least four times and wanted to see this series badly. Not  badly enough to subscribe to STARZ to see it but I was getting there...Let's just say I "found a way" to download the episodes and leave it at that shall we?
Anyway....

Love love loved it!!! All Eight!!! Not a dud in the bunch. Some of the episodes stick to the book pretty closely to include word for word dialog, but a lot of it takes creative license and usually it's a travesty when they do that but not this time, oh lord no. It's so GOOD....the book and the series are so well done you can't even get mad at it and when some things happened differently in the book than in the series? It's not that big of a deal because the way the series has it happening is so freaking GOOD you just don't care. It's...dammit...is there any other word for this series than GOOD??? In CAPS??? 

I love what they've done with Mad Sweeney and Laura, and Ostara, and...well...all of them but Shadow. Shadow in the book is 10 times better (IMHO) than Shadow on the screen. He's just...there (which to be fair is probably alright since we're not "in his head" in the series as we are in the book), but in the book he's more a part/the center of the action.

I cannot wait to see what the do next. Seriously. There is still so much more to go they could go two more seasons, possibly three. 

Well done show, well done.

13 hours ago, ganesh said:

The old gods want their prominence again and want to be worshipped. That's the pitch to Easter: they call it your day but it's not about you anymore, and people don't remember your impact on the world. 

Or Vulcan: energy bullet shot in a movie theater is a prayer to me. 

They're capricious. That's really it. 

So if Odin wants to be worshiped why doesn't he just make public displays of his powers? That would get his some followers pretty fast. Is he just relying on ancient Norse legends? I mean say what you will about media and technology but they are constantly updating to stay relevant. It is not liked they stopped inventing computers after the first pc was launched and expected people to still give a shit decades later.

(edited)
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't know. Maybe he's not strong enough or something and can only do it once and a while. Maybe the show could have clued us in a little. 

The implication is that the lightning strike is from the storm he summoned with the dandelion seeds back in episode 2, right? Which suggests that it is indeed something that requires quite a bit of planning and patience, not just something that he can conjure at will.

As for Ostara's more impressive miracle, that's explained by the fact that she's empowered by modern belief in a way the other Old Gods aren't, and Wednesday empowers her further by dedicating his deaths to her.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So if Odin wants to be worshiped why doesn't he just make public displays of his powers? That would get his some followers pretty fast. Is he just relying on ancient Norse legends? I mean say what you will about media and technology but they are constantly updating to stay relevant. It is not liked they stopped inventing computers after the first pc was launched and expected people to still give a shit decades later.

My guess is it goes back to his line, "if I told you, you wouldn't believe in me"

I remember a show or movie where some character commented that if Jesus came down today, we'd think he was crazy or a fake.

I think it's easier for people to believe in something historical but a "god" showing up today would be dismissed as impossible, cult, fake, etc.

I don't think it's easy to get worshippers, even Vulcan and Ostara aren't worshipped or seems as gods.

Edited by Morrigan2575
On 6/26/2017 at 0:04 PM, gibasi said:

And I don't feel any urgent need to find out what happens next.

I just got around to watching these last two episodes, so I agree with this sentiment.  The show is beautiful to look at it, good performances, but doesn't leave me wanting more.

I have read the book but I don't think that's why.  I think someone compared the show to cotton candy, which is pretty apt for me - not much substance.  For instance, having all the different Jesus (Jesuses?) in this episode is funny in a let-me-see-how-many-I-can-spot kind of thing and Odin gets into Jesus' believers co-opting what should be Ostara's day, but, except for Bilquis, the gods we've seen seem do be doing OK, and none of the old gods are bothering with Bilquis, who might be very receptive to Odin's pitch.

I suppose for a god, you don't want to share followers and you want your powers to expand and flourish, but I should be wondering what is Odin's deal? and why now? We find out Odin wanted Shadow unencumbered so had Laura killed,,,again, why now?  Why wait until he was married, he seemed pretty directionless before that.  If the explanation is "Odin's capricious" we haven't seen much of that either.  

My overall point isn't whether or not we'll get answers to these things, it's that I (as a viewer) aren't thinking about them.    It's like looking at a pretty picture without much depth.  I wonder vaguely what will happen to Laura because her character's been expanded on, but I don't really care.

The music was ridiculously loud to me in the beginning of this one; I had to mute.  That's a Fuller thing, obnoxiously loud music with drawn out visuals.  I wish he would find other musical pieces, the one in the opening scene of this ep sounded like something used over and over again in Hannibal.

There's certainly a lack of narrative direction that helps us understand the motivations for Odin. Anything I could come up with is speculation. My main theory is that Shadow is going to become the very powerful buffalo god and Odin wants him on his side, but Odin had to get Shadow in a particular headspace in order to trigger it. But there's nothing on the show that I can point to that backs it up. 

I'll watch it when it comes back on, but there just more new shows I'd rather get to in the meantime too. 

21 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

My guess is it goes back to his line, "if I told you, you wouldn't believe in me"

I remember a show or movie where some character commented that if Jesus came down today, we'd think he was crazy or a fake.

I think it's easier for people to believe in something historical but a "god" showing up today would be dismissed as impossible, cult, fake, etc.

I don't think it's easy to get worshippers, even Vulcan and Ostara aren't worshipped or seems as gods.

I see what you are saying. But at the same time Jesus, at least Mexican Jesus, is still helping people and performing miracles to maintain his belivers. Why hasn't or didn't Odin do the same thing? And I don't know about Odin, but for a lot of other ancient gods, aren't there mythological stories of them interacting with humans?

20 hours ago, raven said:

except for Bilquis, the gods we've seen seem do be doing OK

Czernobog and to Zorya are barely scraping by--Zorya Vechernyaya even says that she struggles because she never had to do anything for herself when she was worshipped.  Mad Sweeney appears to be homeless (in fairness, wandering the land is kind of his thing).  Ibis and Jacquel are getting along, but seemed to be doing so in a not-terribly-lavish manner.  And the Djinn was stuck driving his "Allah-forsaken cab."

Vulcan and Easter had to make deals with the New Gods to retain some semblance of power.  Bilquis was homeless before she became a turncoat.

Compare that to Media, Technical Boy, and Mr. World, who are the 1% of the 1%.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/19/2017 at 10:45 PM, jeansheridan said:

1.  Faith

2.  Blending old cultures into new.

3.  Respecting/knowing your roots.

4.  American identity

5.  Does modern really equal progress?  Do media and Mr World offer real support to humans or are they empty calories?  

6.  Is there room in our modern world for magic and ritual?  

I didn't like this last ep because it lacked punch but the show overall is definitely about something. 

Regarding Odin being likeable.  I think it is a very modern idea that God can be just kind and benevolent.   People  reference Old Testament God.  The one that flooded the world and burned cities and sent plagues.  

I like Mad Sweeney saying he is like the wind blowing good and ill. That's life after all.  

Think of it this way.. Not every prayer offered to a "god" is benevolent. They are as equally as needy as the ones praying to them. That may not be a conveniet explanation, but still, it explains a few..

And yes, Mad Sweeney is the most admired antagonist. He represents regret and the desire to make it up somehow when someone does good by him, it's his nature (in folklore).

Edited by Forscythe
Need to elaborate
  • Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, starri said:

Czernobog and to Zorya are barely scraping by--Zorya Vechernyaya even says that she struggles because she never had to do anything for herself when she was worshipped.  Mad Sweeney appears to be homeless (in fairness, wandering the land is kind of his thing).  Ibis and Jacquel are getting along, but seemed to be doing so in a not-terribly-lavish manner.  And the Djinn was stuck driving his "Allah-forsaken cab."

Vulcan and Easter had to make deals with the New Gods to retain some semblance of power.  Bilquis was homeless before she became a turncoat.

Compare that to Media, Technical Boy, and Mr. World, who are the 1% of the 1%.

Yes, that's why I said "doing OK", except for Bilquis, who I mentioned as not.  It's clear the new gods are open to making deals with the older ones.

The older gods we've seen don't get out as much as Wednesday, so they may lament their fate but seem to have accepted it, whereas Wednesday sees more of America than they do and as such, wants more. 

Mad Sweeney travels around (and there may be others) but he's a leprechaun, not a god.   He may not be getting free food and drink anymore but he does have his horde.

The show is fun, IMO it just hasn't given us a reason why Wednesday is stirring the pot right now.  There may be no reason or we may learn of one later on.

Since Wednesday is driving the plot and Shadow appears to be some kind of catalyst, I would have liked more of their interaction and to be able to learn more of both characters.  It could be a placement of episode issue for me though.

12 minutes ago, raven said:

Yes, that's why I said "doing OK", except for Bilquis, who I mentioned as not.  It's clear the new gods are open to making deals with the older ones.

From my perspective, the only ones who is doing okay are Ibis and Jacquel.  Maybe Wednesday too, considering he likes being a grifter.  The Djinn especially seemed miserable.

1 minute ago, starri said:

From my perspective, the only ones who is doing okay are Ibis and Jacquel.  Maybe Wednesday too, considering he likes being a grifter.  The Djinn especially seemed miserable.

That's fair :)  To me, doing OK means yeah you could be doing a lot better but you're not really trying to do so.

I definitely see your point; the Djinn was just surviving.  It's possible he can't do much better without the belief of the people. 

(edited)

Mr. Wednesday: "I am Odin!"

No shit, you're Odin!  I assumed that when I saw the trailer last year.  Your name is "Wednesday," and you're in a show about gods.  What else are we supposed to think?

The show is good, I like the actors, but the end was too sudden and the big reveal was stupid.

Edited by revbfc
4 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think everyone but Shadow knew by that point. It's not like the show was being coy about it. 

I'll give you that.  Still, big reveals like that are for the audience, too.