Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Conspiracy Weary

On 6/14/2017 at 1:15 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

Then again, I'm not sure how much that story will hurt, as it isn't as if she has a lot of corroborating evidence. Obviously Ravi felt as if he was speaking off the record, and if she didn't disclose that she was working a story when he told her that and directly quoted him, that would be an issue (not to mention, didn't her editor reach out to Ravi to verify any info given?). I doubt they'll get that much into technical issues of reporting, but the point is I don't know the story is all that damning, particularly if all she's basing it on is the word of Ravi with what appears to be very little substantive evidence otherwise.

I also wonder about the impact that story would really have. I know part of the Filmore Graves plan is dealing with the impending Z-Day, when everyone finds out zombies are real, but we're viewing this world (which seems very similar to our own) through the filter of people who know about zombies; obviously, there are hints that people are starting to get suspicious, but I don't feel like it's been established that the population at large wouldn't look at that cover and immediately conclude that the paper running a 'Zombies Are Real!' cover isn't just trying desperately to drum up readers.

I did really like that the layout of the paper seemed to refer to the original Bat Boy cover from the Weekly World News. 

Major is so stupid. SO STUPID. I hope there's more fallout from his dalliance with Shawna, because this story so far has been really predictable. 

Peyton kicked some major backside this episode, getting that flash drive! I like that she has a plot of her own, rather than just being a love interest.

Clive continues to be my favorite. I worry so much that he won't survive the season, so when he and Liv went into that bunker on their own, I had to work very hard to refrain from yelling at him. And, while we certainly believe that his shooting of Justin was justified, I appreciate that the show was very careful in its portrayal of a cop who believed he had just killed a civilian.

As much as Justin is a terrible creep, I do feel kind of bad for him for having been turned into a zombie. He clearly would not have wanted that. On the other hand, because he is a terrible creep, I'm not all that interested in how he'll adjust to his new circumstances.

I am so excited for next week! I mentioned this in the main EHG thread this week, but I've really enjoyed this season. It's been a real departure from the first two, and even though I'm not entirely sure everything will all tie together and pay off, I think the show has had more of a sense of fun in its plotting this year, which I have very much appreciated.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2017 at 9:57 PM, rabidchipmnk said:

I was kind of confused about Major selling the shirts of himself though... at first I thought it was something she would have done to get back at him, but I guess we take the reporters'/radio's word for it that he's embracing it now?

Major is definitely not the one selling those shirts. Someone else is making and selling those shirts - presumably Shawna since she's the one who took the picture, but I guess anyone who reads her blog could have copied the picture and started selling them. The guy on the radio (or podcast?) was the one who assumed that Major was the one profiting from the shirts.

So Shawna wasn't some kind of black ops super spy or something, she's just an attention hog. Even if she did at some point have good intentions (that's a big if), taking private photos of someone and posting them online (photos of them half naked in bed!) is a terrible thing to do. It would be one thing if she asked him if she could help revamp his image, but she didn't. She sucks.

Clive is the gift that keeps on giving. And Don E and Blaine super excitedly  inviting Liv to eat brains with them is the most I've liked Blaine in ages.

• Love 1
On 6/14/2017 at 11:29 AM, Lady Calypso said:

It's on Ravi for blurting out information that he's gained over multiple years to a complete stranger, not doing any research into her and believing that she was at the zombie meeting for....what, exactly? I mean, she did tell him that she was a journalist or writer of some kind, right?

IIRC, she said she was a photographer who already had a picture of sasquatch and wanted one of a zombie.  I can see Ravi wanting to give her some comfort and security, and to prove that all zombies aren't bad, but of course he was too trusting, and not made suspicious by her showing up uninvited twice.

The trio of Blaine, Don E, and Liv as conspiracy nuts was a lot of fun.

Ravi was drinking tea out of a white mug with a band of green flowers on it at one point, and I did a double take because it was exactly the same as my grandmother's cups.  Surreal.

I keep finding myself on the side of the "Zombie Truthers" and was sad to see so many die and one end up infected.  Zombies are all carrying a dangerous, highly contagious disease.

4 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I keep finding myself on the side of the "Zombie Truthers" and was sad to see so many die and one end up infected.  Zombies are all carrying a dangerous, highly contagious disease.

Well, to carry the analogy farther, I think there are different ways to handle people with dangerous, highly contagious diseases, I mean different than promoting general public fear,waving  guns, ostracism and death.

• Love 2
On 6/14/2017 at 7:34 AM, Lady Calypso said:

There's just way too many plot threads this season, and they have barely wrapped even a couple of them up. I don't know how they'll do it in the next two episodes, so I'm betting it'll be a Filmore Graves Did It situation. They really didn't have a plan this season; I hope they have one next season.

I absolutely live in hope that they do have a plan for this season and that this season turns out to bridge into the next season, so everything isn't wrapped up too quickly. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

The Buffy comics have Harmony at one point getting her own show and becoming a fashion icon, I wonder if at some point being extra pasty will become a fashion must as the knowledge of Zombies become real. And is it an antiaging miracle?

On 6/17/2017 at 6:52 PM, swimmyfish said:

I also wonder about the impact that story would really have. I know part of the Filmore Graves plan is dealing with the impending Z-Day, when everyone finds out zombies are real, but we're viewing this world (which seems very similar to our own) through the filter of people who know about zombies; obviously, there are hints that people are starting to get suspicious, but I don't feel like it's been established that the population at large wouldn't look at that cover and immediately conclude that the paper running a 'Zombies Are Real!' cover isn't just trying desperately to drum up readers.

I did really like that the layout of the paper seemed to refer to the original Bat Boy cover from the Weekly World News. 

Bat Boy rocks and so did the Weekly World News, RIP. In our world drugs would be the first thing people would think of, I believe.

16 hours ago, Affogato said:

Well, to carry the analogy farther, I think there are different ways to handle people with dangerous, highly contagious diseases, I mean different than promoting general public fear,waving  guns, ostracism and death.

You're probably right.  An animal backed into a corner becomes dangerous, and I think that's what the whole Fillmore-Graves zombie island is supposed to illustrate.  I really would prefer that someone get the CDC involved.  Ravi is, instead, taking efforts to hinder the CDC.