Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Mo' Onions, Mo' Problems

• Start Topic

This is so blatantly a put up producer job that it is ludicrous. If this really happened Captain Sandy would have fired him on the spot. For lying to her if not for pissing off the main charter guest.

She could have found a chef in an a New York Minute. It is a resort area. Tons of charters. There will would be someone at least as good as Adam. Nothing he did was al that.

The breakfast thing would be a deal breaker for me. If the guests have to beg for eggs it is time for a change.

• Love 7

I wish Captain Sandy would have fired Adam on the spot. He deserved it. Her excuse was that a new chef would be hard to find in Croatia. Did they only have a single day between trips? I bet there are plenty of people working in the restaurants of their port town that could have taken over.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

If she did hire Leon  we would be back to beef cheek tuesdays, beef cheek wednesdays, beef cheek thursdays days. On the bright side the  captain has been through a shipboard fire before so a galley fire shouldn't throw her. Also there would be someone to hate more than Bobby.

There. It took two attempts, but I fixed it for ya! :D

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DammitHardison said:

So Malia could fulfill her fantasy of being on The Bachelorette and go on mini-dates with all her suitors? Didn't she even say something like, "I felt bad that Wes didn't get any alone time with me"?

Yes! It's so annoying. And then Bobby did that whole "can I steal you for a second" thing. I wonder if one of the producers worked on the Bachelor and is maybe baiting them. The whole thing is eye-roll inducing

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

And he also said something like "people hire me as a chef because they like my food" (as he stirring more onions into the soup). Newsflash: they hired the boat, they did not hire you specifically. Your job is to provide food that *they* want, not whatever the hell you feel like cooking. 

For breakfast I would certainly expect at the least, cooked to order eggs any way I want them. And if you can't make shrimp creole (or whatever it was) taste good without onions, then MAKE SOMETHING ELSE!

I loved when Sandy asked if he was even capable of cooking without onions. It was almost as satisfying as when she called Bobby a scaredy cat and told him to fuck off because he knows nothing. But then he's all "yeah, i've done it before." Then prove it, asshole!

• Love 1

Just a thought. But if you are going up the Croatian coast wouldn't you want to be eating food from that region for the most part with other fare thrown in sparingly.

Same as with last year's Greek location. Hire a local chef or at least a chef that is very familiar with the local cuisine and can knock it out if the ball park plus make the odd quesadilla.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Giselle said:

Just a thought. But if you are going up the Croatian coast wouldn't you want to be eating food from that region for the most part with other fare thrown in sparingly.

Same as with last year's Greek location. Hire a local chef or at least a chef that is very familiar with the local cuisine and can knock it out if the ball park plus make the odd quesadilla.

I wish I could like your post more than once! I don't understand why people go on vacation to other countries and then stick with food they already get at home. WTF? My preference sheet for the chef would read "local dishes from the region". If the chef made things that were basically things I already eat but were influenced by the area we are in, that would be acceptable (even if not exactly what I'd prefer); things such as a burger that has local toppings and seasonings, or steak with local vegetables/sides and local seasonings. My thoughts are if you want food you get at home, then just stay home. If I'm going to Greece, France, Italy, Croatia, or wherever, I want to eat their cuisine because I'm never going to get something as authentic and different unless I return to those places.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I wish I could like your post more than once! I don't understand why people go on vacation to other countries and then stick with food they already get at home. WTF? My preference sheet for the chef would read "local dishes from the region". If the chef made things that were basically things I already eat but were influenced by the area we are in, that would be acceptable (even if not exactly what I'd prefer); things such as a burger that has local toppings and seasonings, or steak with local vegetables/sides and local seasonings. My thoughts are if you want food you get at home, then just stay home. If I'm going to Greece, France, Italy, Croatia, or wherever, I want to eat their cuisine because I'm never going to get something as authentic and different unless I return to those places.

Exactly. One might crave a taco in Russia but one shouldn't necessarily eat one there. Save the street tacos for your visit to Mexico or East LA, go grab some pirozhki and eat some memories.

• Love 5

Where to begin? 

I continue to like Captain Sandy more and more each episode.  I loved how she wasn't buying Adam's bullshit for a hot minute. 

I almost started liking Malia for a second a week or so ago but she quickly destroyed that.  You're there to work, not to see how many men you can tease.  I hope that Wes realizes he's better off without her, since she clearly has shit (or zero) taste.   Bobby is happy if has has even a thought that he might possibly have a chance with her.

Hannah needs to quit shit talking Bugsy to Lauren.  Very unprofessional.  You have that extra stripe.  Act like it.  Bugsy did nothing, other than her job.  It's not her fault that Adam is a douche who made a stupid comment to Hannah.

Let me repeat.  Adam is a douche.  Whether the primary requested no onions because he simply doesn't like them (his right) or because he has a sensitivity to them or is allergic . . . it really doesn't matter.  The first time he used them because he wanted to, with some ridiculous excuse about how you can't cook without them.  The second time he did it because he thought it was funny.  I wouldn't have faulted Captain Sandy if she withheld a tip from him, or at least half of it.  And they really didn't even discuss all that much about how his breakfasts sucked.  What is it with these chefs and hating breakfast?  It's my favorite meal of the day.  I'd be pissed if I paid a shit ton of money for a luxury cruise and was given a fruit and cheese plate. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Adam pissed me off so much tonight.  I hate it when people use rednecks--especially as insults. I also hate it when people use new money as an insult.  You know what?  They paid for the charter. It doesn't matter if their money is new or old.  It is money and they paid to be treated with respect and have their food preferences followed which seems to be something Adam is incapable of doing. I wish he was fired but I also understand Sandy's point about it being impossible to find a replacement in Croatia on a short notice. 

Malia is cute but she isn't all that. I guess when there are only 3 other women on board and 1 is in a committed relationship then cute becomes a sliding scale. She's young and hopefully, she will learn how to act more professionally in the future. 

I'm happy that Hannah called out Adam and also went to Sandy about Oniongate. However, I do wish she would fix things with Bugs. It wasn't Bugs saying that she should be chief stew. However, I can also see where maybe Hannah would be wondering if Bugs played into it too considering the history with Bugs trying to manage Lauren.  It is a situation that needs to be dealt with. 

Bobby needs to stop. Lauren doesn't want him. Malia doesn't want him.  Just do your job. I can understand though his frustration with not getting to spend much time with Wes and learning from his bosun. Which leads me to...

I feel bad for Wes but Wes needs to make sure that everyone is getting treated equally and that all 3 of the deckhands are getting opportunities to learn. If he is always putting Malia with him because he likes her then that is unfair to both Bobby and Max. He also just needs to give it up on Malia.  He needs someone older that has it pulled together a bit more than Malia. 

I think Max is still my favorite. LOL.  He's just so darn sweet and nice and cute. 

Adam's classist attitude was so baffling. As if onion is the height of sophistication. Some people just can't tolerate certain tastes or textures. Get over it, Adam. 

9 hours ago, rho said:

I didn't get the impression that she was leading Bobby on. I thought she was trying to let him down easy but typical Bobby has zero social skills and severely misinterpreted that exchange.

I'm on the fence with Malia because on the one hand, I totally pulled that shit when I was 19, but also she's not 19 anymore and she could at least use a little discretion instead of parading her two boyfriends around the boat. Wes is flip-flopping all over the place, I don't buy that he's done pursuing Malia and his good guy speech made me cringe. If I know one truth in this world, it's that as soon as a guy self-appoints himself as a "good guy" he is about to prove to me that he is not. Exhibit A: Season 1 Bobby

Adam can suck it. He's sulking around like he invented onions and this bad day isn't entirely self-inflicted. Malia can cool it with the savior routine. It's not like he left early because he had a tummy ache. He feels guilty, as he fucking should, because he is a flaming dickhead. Or more likely, Malia wasn’t paying enough attention to him and his wittle feewings got hurt.

Malia did muddy the waters when it came to Bobby because she compared Bobby to Wes by calling them both "friends" and "pals". She did seem to want to lead him on though by saying if not for Lauren, Bobby is her type of guy. 

The Nice Guy bit did rub me the wrong way. But I think this is not the end of Wes and Malia, judging from the trailer for the season. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, indiscutable said:

Adam's classist attitude was so baffling. As if onion is the height of sophistication. Some people just can't tolerate certain tastes or textures. Get over it, Adam. 

Malia did muddy the waters when it came to Bobby because she compared Bobby to Wes by calling them both "friends" and "pals". She did seem to want to lead him on though by saying if not for Lauren, Bobby is her type of guy. 

The Nice Guy bit did rub me the wrong way. But I think this is not the end of Wes and Malia, judging from the trailer for the season. 

Wes is bit and isn't going to get over Malia that easily! He's a boss so I really think he should be more professional! It will end in years from 1 or both! 

It is ridiculous how stupid this plot line is in the real world. Any competent chef or line cook who works in a restaurant would find cooking on a boat a breeze. You are making a small number of meals and the same meal for every person. Or at most one or two variations because of dietary restrictions. A chef....hell a short order cook is making twenty or thirty different things at the same time. Captain Sandy could have pulled a line cook out of any Bistro in Split and he would have out cooked this moron.  

So this is all drama for the show. The fourth wall is falling down and Humpty Dumpty can't put it together. I don't think any Captain would stand for the blatant defiance of putting onions in food for spite. Think about that for a minute. He said he did it out of spite. You fire his ass then and there. 

If you replace him with Mel from Mel's diner you are doing the right thing.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, rho said:

Yes! It's so annoying. And then Bobby did that whole "can I steal you for a second" thing. I wonder if one of the producers worked on the Bachelor and is maybe baiting them. The whole thing is eye-roll inducing

Either that or this season is Malia's audition for MAFS Second Chances.  That shit show would be perfect for her.  She's a female David.

32 minutes ago, indiscutable said:

Malia did say Bobby was her type - - attractive and athletic.   Because how many people say their type is an unattractive sloth?   What she really should have said is that Bobby is her type - - he has a pulse.   Malia likes anyone who is going to lust after her, I think.

I hope Wes is smarter than to continue pursuing Malia. 

• Love 3

Wes is falling into the "nice" guy trap. He is positioning himself as a "nice"guy and feels entitled because he treats women with respect and is not a douche like Adam. Well guess what buddy? You don't get any points for that. If this bim wants to spread it for a bunch  of guys either get on the train or move on.  You can do better than this m***** cock tease. 

Remember.  Nice guys finish last.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Either that or this season is Malia's audition for MAFS Second Chances.  That shit show would be perfect for her.  She's a female David.

Malia did say Bobby was her type - - attractive and athletic.   Because how many people say their type is an unattractive sloth?   What she really should have said is that Bobby is her type - - he has a pulse.   Malia likes anyone who is going to lust after her, I think.

Well Bob is lusting! He wasn't dissuaded even after hearing about Malia's multi-make out session! I guess he'll take her either way; Wes will always be disappointed acting like a wimp-weeny! He's looking to be run over by any woman who finally takes him on! 

3 hours ago, indiscutable said:

Adam's snobbery is hilarious when you remember that he lives at the beach in a van. This dude lives in a van, but thinks he has the room (he doesn't have the room because he lives in a 1 room van) to condescend to someone who paid thousands of dollars for this charter. And when he isn't living in a van, he lives in bunk bed crew quarters. So yes, please continue to pontificate about what is acceptable for people with money.

3 hours ago, indiscutable said:

3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I don't know if Malia is intentionally trying to turn this season into the Bachelorette, but she's doing a damn good job of pitting the guys against each other as they try to win her affections. Maybe Adam will be a colossal dick to Hannah again and Malia will choose to comfort Hannah by motorboating and making out with her again to fully fuck with everyone. 

The thing that I find the funniest about Malia, who has 5 brothers, is how butt hurt and thin-skinned she was when Max was making fun of her. She wants them to love her, but her ass won't be able to take it if one of them calls her an asshole for encouraging affections that she has no intention of returning.

• Love 6

Captain Sandy said last night on WWHL had she known there were three onion violations she would have fired Adam.

Since the guests were being onion detectives, why didn't Adam just stud a whole onion with the lentils and then remove it if he was so desperate for onion flavor?   I think Adam gets a fair amount of air time and my guess they want him there.  Interesting the primary is able to find an entire group of friends who want no onions.  I don't recall this guy having a no onion policy last year.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

Interesting the primary is able to find an entire group of friends who want no onions. 

It looked to me like they were all friends.  They knew the primary did not like onions so they claimed not to like onions in order to be thoughtful.

I don't think it would have been difficult for Adam to place a second pot of soup on the stove without onions. He was just stirring up a controversy because he thinks it is funny. He is doing the same thing to Bugs, Hanna and Malia. It is all just a game for his amusement. He has the interior crew at each others throats, lowered the morale between the deck crew by targeting Wes and Malia, and picked a fight with the charter primary. Sandy was a fool not fire him.

I forgot to add that Adam even undermined the authority of Captain Sandy by forcing her into the position of firing him by confessing his little tricks in front of the entire crew. They all think he should have been fired which Sandy did not. Her authority over the crew is now considerably weakened. It really is sort of a Machiavellian  web that even the Borgia family would be proud of.

Edited by Belowdeckchatter
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Belowdeckchatter said:

It looked to me like they were all friends.  They knew the primary did not like onions so they claimed not to like onions in order to be thoughtful.

I don't think it would have been difficult for Adam to place a second pot of soup on the stove without onions. He was just stirring up a controversy because he thinks it is funny. He is doing the same thing to Bugs, Hanna and Malia. It is all just a game for his amusement.

When Adam is "knocked off," we'll see how amused he is then! As said, his fare hasn't exactly been "raved" upon! That Continental Breakfast" was truly low rent and I'd be PO'd too if "the primary" has to beg for some fresh eggs! He was quite generous for being F###'d over like that; $20,000! Adam should cough up half of his tip and spread it around! Buy dinner and drinks at least instead of acting like a wounded puppy!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

Captain Sandy said last night on WWHL had she known there were three onion violations she would have fired Adam.

That's the problem right there. She should have known. She should have questioned him more closely. She should have questioned everyone else. She should have gotten to the truth.

She might even have found out who ate the strawberries. 

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Since the guests were being onion detectives, why didn't Adam just stud a whole onion with the lentils and then remove it if he was so desperate for onion flavor?   I think Adam gets a fair amount of air time and my guess they want him there.  Interesting the primary is able to find an entire group of friends who want no onions.  I don't recall this guy having a no onion policy last year.

39 minutes ago, Belowdeckchatter said:

I don't think it would have been difficult for Adam to place a second pot of soup on the stove without onions. He was just stirring up a controversy because he thinks it is funny. He is doing the same thing to Bugs, Hanna and Malia. It is all just a game for his amusement. He has the interior crew at each others throats, lowered the morale between the deck crew by targeting Wes and Malia, and picked a fight with the charter primary. Sandy was a fool not fire him.

I don't know if anyone remembers the 11 course tasting menu that Ben had to put together on the mothership last season. The primary posted about his experience on his website. He said he didn't request a 12 course tasting menu, but told the producers that his favorite dining experience was eating a 12 course tasting meal at a particular restaurant.

http://www.johnchow.com/john-chow-on-below-deck-season-4-episode-4-recap/

So it's possible that these guests were asked what their 5 least favorite foods were and it happened to work out that many of them had onions on their list. Or they could be like Scott Conant.

• Love 2
(edited)

Connant just has a problem with a lot of "raw onion!" He uses the term "assertive!" I remember a guy on "CHOPPED" decided he was going to show him and overdid the onion again! Like Adam, he was looking to be chastised so he can chuckle to himself later saying "I'll show him!" 

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, escapetoreality said:

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a Cajun shrimp and grits entree repulsive?  What's next -- lover (liver?) and onions? Breakfast for dinner? 

I love liver and onions. My wife doesn't like either. So, I rarely get it. I've never had grits. So, jury's out on shrimp and grits.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, escapetoreality said:

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a Cajun shrimp and grits entree repulsive?  What's next -- lover and onions? Breakfast for dinner? 

I've seem all the cooking shows and invariably "shrimp & grits" are produced for the judges! I don't find the idea appetizing, but after 60 years on this Earth, I had some left over shrimp, mixed some instant grits with chicken stock, cut up a little onion and tried it for the 1st time! Nothing special, but it didn't make me sick! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I don't recall this guy having a no onion policy last year.

It's entirely possible he did but it wasn't highlighted because it's actually not all that difficult of a request to fulfill so there was no drama.

• Love 3

How could you mess up breakfast.

I would want pancakes, waffles, omelets, coffee, oj and maybe a Bellini. 

Some fruit and cheese could be a nosh after we ate a stack of flap jacks.

This mook should be fired for that alone.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It's entirely possible he did but it wasn't highlighted because it's actually not all that difficult of a request to fulfill so there was no drama.

Good point.  Maybe Ben used a lot of onions last year and upon review decided they didn't like it. I also don't recall Ben being all that original about breakfast.  I think he made frittatas.  Adam didn't bitch (big surprise) when the guy wanted eggs.  I just feel like some of this stuff is pushed beyond all believable levels.  My guess is guests get up and hit the breakfast table as they please.   So if they want a smoothie,  eggs, or a meltdown ensuing request for croissant, it shouldn't a big deal.  It can't take that long to make two eggs over easy.  This is about a three or four day cruise-I would think the breakfast situation could be addressed early on.  I doubt any chef would object to making Eggs Benedict, or Mickey Mouse Chocolate Chip pancakes if the guests desired. 

I also believe there is the plot driven desire to highlight some of the more demanding guests requests as a little over the top.  Last year there was the woman who even requested water at a certain pH level, and about a third of the way through the 12 course tasting menu she wanted to abandon her mega salad and start joining in on the tasting side of things.   Another guest fell asleep on the couch, not to be outdone this year by the guy falling asleep on the toilet, The first episode there were varying degrees of dietary requests which Adam was chastised for putting Post It notes to identify the food. 

My problem with Adam is he looks scruffy and acts like a tool most of the time. 

• Love 1

Ben made frittatas, he made waffles, he made omelets, he made lamb that wasn't eaten the night before so he reused it the next morning.  The point was he had a warm cooked option along with fruit and pastries and cheese. Adam is just putting stuff on a plate and calling it good.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I get where Hannah was coming from with regard to Bugs.  Bugs sat and said nothing while Adam went off on Hannah.  We've seen Hannah stand up for her girls.  I can understand her wanting some of the same.  Bugs silence more or less could have been viewed as her agreeing with Adam.

I get where Hannah was coming from too, but to me, it's not 100% cut and dry.  

Bugs' grandmother died, because of that Bugs threw herself into her work, understandable.  Adam sees Bugs doing all of this working and thinks Hannah is a crap chief stew, because to him Bugs is doing everything.

Adam is an asshole no matter if Hannah is a crap chief stew or not.   For what he did to the guest, he should have been fired.  What if the primary guest was allergic to onions?  

Go away Adam.

• Love 4

I think both Bugs and Hannah are at fault. Bugs should have went to Hannah and said that she didn't want to be in the middle. Hannah had to go to Bugs and tell her that she wasn't going to let a douchey chef divide the interior crew.

They are both a little wrong.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

I've seem all the cooking shows and invariably "shrimp & grits" are produced for the judges! I don't find the idea appetizing, but after 60 years on this Earth, I had some left over shrimp, mixed some instant grits with chicken stock, cut up a little onion and tried it for the 1st time! Nothing special, but it didn't make me sick! 

That's because that's the saddest sounding shrimp and grits ever.  At the very least you need cheese and butter in the grits, garlic with your onions in the shrimp, and a squeeze of lemon to finish everything.  

• Love 6
(edited)
19 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

That's because that's the saddest sounding shrimp and grits ever.  At the very least you need cheese and butter in the grits, garlic with your onions in the shrimp, and a squeeze of lemon to finish everything.  

It definitely needed something! At my age, I have to avoid all those excess calories, cholesterol, & gluten; didn't want to go with the extra butter, cheese, etc.! The lack of texture hurt!

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2
On 6/13/2017 at 8:52 PM, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Adam's lucky Ben can't come to the rescue mid-season like he did last year! He would have been gone otherwise! He lied to the Captain! Besides that he was called out by the guest; his breakfasts were lame! They looked like a Holiday Inn "comp. breakfast" before checkout! I would expect more for what these people were paying!

If nothing else, he could get them one of those waffle makers and dixie cups full of batter, to make their own pancakes.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:26 PM, VagueDisclaimer said:

Did Malia grow up with 5 brothers? I'm unclear about that factoid. 

Don't you know that's where she learned to kiss?  ( I couldn't help myself)

4 hours ago, escapetoreality said:

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a Cajun shrimp and grits entree repulsive?  What's next -- lover and onions? Breakfast for dinner? 

Love me some shrimp and grits.

56 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Yep!  Definitley need cheese and butter and maybe some bacon too.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

If I were a charter guest and served those basic breakfasts, I would have been pissed.  I love breakfast foods, especially when someone else is preparing them!  

Ditto.  I never have much more than a piece of fruit and coffee while I am running around in the morning.  However, when I am on vacation I always order Eggs Benedict, pancakes, bacon and orange juice for breakfast every morning.  These are things that I never make for myself and it tastes so good because someone else is making it for me. :)  

• Love 2

I want to like shrimp and grits but I really can't stand the texture and (lack of) taste of grits. My boyfriend is a chef, so he makes really good food, but that's one dish that I just don't really care for. The shrimp though, I could eat that all day.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, escapetoreality said:

Agreed! If I'm feeling shrimp and grits (which is a rarity) I'll find a local hole in the wall that promises to serve a recipe passed down for generations. I sure as fuck will not eat shrimp and grits cooked by an greasy surfer who's got a boner for onions. I'm so underwhelmed by Adam's dishes. Everything he makes looks like sloppy roach coach meals. It's the Med and he keeps serving heavy American food. I'd be pissed if I was essentially paying thousands for these meals just to get something barely more edible than the staff meals.

12 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Let me repeat.  Adam is a douche.  Whether the primary requested no onions because he simply doesn't like them (his right) or because he has a sensitivity to them or is allergic . . . it really doesn't matter.  The first time he used them because he wanted to, with some ridiculous excuse about how you can't cook without them.  The second time he did it because he thought it was funny.  I wouldn't have faulted Captain Sandy if she withheld a tip from him, or at least half of it.  And they really didn't even discuss all that much about how his breakfasts sucked.  What is it with these chefs and hating breakfast?  It's my favorite meal of the day.  I'd be pissed if I paid a shit ton of money for a luxury cruise and was given a fruit and cheese plate. 

Ben explained it before and I kind of get it. He's a brilliant chef but at breakfast he's basically reduced to a line cook so I understand his frustration. But at least Ben put in some effort. The biggest obstacle is eggs need to be cooked to order or they basically taste like rubber but worst case scenario they have to be redone and the crew gets to eat a few cold omelettes. I do recall some very appetizing benedicts and crepes, among others. I'm a breakfast lover too and there are so many ways to get creative with it. If I've got the time, I'm pulling out all the stops! 

Adam wasn't even making fresh pastry. He basically just sliced fruit and opened a box of croissants. I am very much looking forward to Sandy micro-managing the galley. If he's gonna act like a child, she'll treat him like one. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Adam's snobbery is hilarious when you remember that he lives at the beach in a van. 

Damn it!  You missed it!

He lives in a van, down by the river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry.  Had to do it.

Oniongate - a lot of people can't digest onions and like lactose, you do not want to be around when they do eat them.  Some people are allergic, Buddhists do not eat onions.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

Damn it!  You missed it!

He lives in a van, down by the river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry.  Had to do it.

Damn it!   You missed it, too.

He lives in a FAMILY VAN!!!, down by the river!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sorry I did it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, fliptopbox said:

I want to like shrimp and grits but I really can't stand the texture and (lack of) taste of grits. My boyfriend is a chef, so he makes really good food, but that's one dish that I just don't really care for. The shrimp though, I could eat that all day.

Ok, I'm Southern so I grew up on grits but even I hate plain grits.  I make cheese grits but I put jalapeno cheese in them and then bake them in the oven for 30 minutes at 350.  YUM!  That way, it is cheesy and also has a bit of a kick to them. 

• Love 2

Let's talk about this tipping culture. I can't imagine that these wads of cash are handed over to a crew this way "in real life." First the amounts seem wildly extravagant by any measure unless the crew is truly paid nothing.  Second, it seems imprudent if not illegal for the clients to be traveling internationally with such large amounts of cash.  Third the crew's obsession with tips probably does reflect real life and having seen this phony baloney facade for the guests I would never enjoy this kind of vacation knowing that all the smiles, compliments and good service are driven by craven tip-consciousness.   It's a fair assumption that people drawn to other service industries such as the airlines truly have a mindset for serving the public but it seems in the yachting industry the overarching attitude is that the guests are a means to an end of travel and under-the-table compensation.  Uhhh no thank you.   (P.S. also having visited Croatia, the idea of extended anchoring out seems like a complete waste of time when there is so much to explore on land). 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I want some! When will you next be in Red Wing, MN? I'll give you my address and we'll all sit down and enjoy those together!

1 hour ago, escapetoreality said:

Let's talk about this tipping culture. I can't imagine that these wads of cash are handed over to a crew this way "in real life." First the amounts seem wildly extravagant by any measure unless the crew is truly paid nothing.

Read here : http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/tipping-point

And here : http://www.boatinternational.com/charter/luxury-yacht-charter-advice/how-much-to-tip-on-a-superyacht-charter--1787

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I suspect that Adam knows it's not that easy to fire and replace him on the spot.  So, he's not that afraid of getting fired. 

He may not be afraid of getting fired. You jeopardize my tip you better worry about getting that pussy smirk knocked off of your douche face.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

That's an awful lot to read & digest for someone who was merely quoting a classic Vicky rant (the OG of the {RHo} OC).   Besides, I have cataracts!   ;-)

Damn my dumb sense of timing, and questionable sense of humor (or, humour).

• Love 2