Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Mo' Onions, Mo' Problems

• Start Topic

Malia and Adam share a romantic moment, but complications arise when she continues to flirt with Wes. The charter guests play dirty as they challenge the Sirocco crew to a relay race. When Hannahfinds out Adam intentionally decided to go against the guests' food preferences, the two butt heads once again. Meanwhile, Bugsy feels alienated from the stews as Hannah and Lauren give her the cold shoulder. And when Hannah informs Captain Sandy about Adam's food sabotage, the rebellious chef finds himself in hot water.

(edited)

The show hasn't started and I'm just waiting with great anticipation to hear Adam get told off for his actions. He's also pretty stupid about saying every cuisine has onions as a flavor base.  The country I"m from, while it uses onions, it doesn't use them as a flavor base.  I can think of so many meals that simply don't have onions.

Edited by Eater of Worlds
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

The show hasn't started and I'm just waiting with great anticipation to hear Adam get told off for his actions. He's also pretty stupid about saying every cuisine has onions as a flavor base.  The country I"m from, while it uses onions, it doesn't use them as a flavor base.  I can think of so many meals that simply don't have onions.

Most of my wife's meals that she makes for us at home don't have any onions in them. She doesn't like them and uses them rather sparingly, yet her meals are packed with flavor.

• Love 7
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

It is just so completely disrespectful to the guest.  I just don't understand it.

Adam's lucky Ben can't come to the rescue mid-season like he did last year! He would have been gone otherwise! He lied to the Captain! Besides that he was called out by the guest; his breakfasts were lame! They looked like a Holiday Inn "comp. breakfast" before checkout! I would expect more for what these people were paying!

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 9

My opinions are changing for some of these people. 

Adam is such an asshole! And so immature and unprofessional. He thinks the guest is demanding and hard to please (and a redneck.. lol) because the guy doesn't want onions? That's not a crazy request to make. I usually ask for my food with no onions. Guests who spend that much money are allowed to make special requests, especially one as small as that. I'm glad the guy called him out in front of everyone though he looked embarrassed. 

Also, Malia! She is starting to annoy me. I was on her side at first but now she seems like she's just leading each guy on so they all keep giving her attention. Like how she kind of told Bobby that he still had a chance so he would keep trying to get with her. 

• Love 16

I think Wes summed up Adam perfectly . A dick. And some girls want that bad guy . He blatantly lied to the captain and it was great to hear the primary call him out in front of everyone.

I am a little disappointed in Hannah in that she is not dealing with her situation with Bugs.

Pretty much bored with the romantic triangle. I think that is all for camera. They all act as if she is the only fish in the ocean. Maybe on charter she is.

• Love 8
(edited)

So Adam didn't redeem himself, whatsoever. Obviously captain sandy didn't buy his excuses, but is stuck with him. As are the rest of us.

Adam pouting his way through the night out doesn't earn him any points, nor does the offering of his tip. Everyone had the right to be pissed and complain and Malia acting as if she's being the bigger/better person by following him back to lick his wounds just made me roll my eyes. 

Bobby is a desperate dog with a boner. 

I do think Bugsy could've said something during the multitude of times Adam's been disrespectful to Hannah and comparatively praising her. Simple as asking to not be dragged into the middle or something. Or saying something  to Hanna privately. 

That said,at this point,  I do think Hannah should privately speak to Bugsy about things, so there isn't animosity. 

I mostly enjoyed these charter guests and it was only because of who THEY are(and despite Adam's sabotage) that they left such a generous tip. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, missyb said:

I think Wes summed up Adam perfectly . A dick. And some girls want that bad guy . He blatantly lied to the captain and it was great to hear the primary call him out in front of everyone.

I am a little disappointed in Hannah in that she is not dealing with her situation with Bugs.

Pretty much bored with the romantic triangle. I think that is all for camera. They all act as if she is the only fish in the ocean. Maybe on charter she is.

It's guilt by association! Bugs & Adam "getting on," then Hannah's undermined out of nowhere!

• Love 2

Okay wait I wrote my comment before finishing the episode lol. Gross Malia picked Adam. They both annoy me now. Adam is like a child getting upset because Malia is giving another guy attention. But then she still runs after him even though he almost fucked the tip up for everyone. I want one or both of them to get fired lol. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Most of my wife's meals that she makes for us at home don't have any onions in them. She doesn't like them and uses them rather sparingly, yet her meals are packed with flavor.

Me too....use onions very sparingly, but yet, I cook Italian food, and other types of food that people actually enjoy and don't even notice that the onion is missing.  I mostly use dehydrated minced onion instead, and occasionally, I use onion powder.  

Adam is just a douche!  

1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

It is just so completely disrespectful to the guest.  I just don't understand it.

And to the rest of the crew, as everyone said - it could have affected their tip.

Thank goodness the guests were pretty easy going.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Me too....use onions very sparingly, but yet, I cook Italian food, and other types of food that people actually enjoy and don't even notice that the onion is missing.  I mostly use dehydrated minced onion instead, and occasionally, I use onion powder.  

Adam is just a douche!  

The onion isn't missing if you're using dehydrated onion or onion powder. :) I had the impression that with these guests, it's the flavor of onion that they don't like, not just the texture or feel of it. So Adam's trick of basically pureeing onions into the soup didn't solve the issue. And he is an ass. 

• Love 13
Just now, Michichick said:

The onion isn't missing if you're using dehydrated onion or onion powder. :) I had the impression that with these guests, it's the flavor of onion that they don't like, not just the texture or feel of it. So Adam's trick of basically pureeing onions into the soup didn't solve the issue. And he is an ass. 

I don't know about the charter guests, but for me, I can't eat things with a lot of onion (it really doesn't agree with me), and I cannot stand biting into a bit or piece of onion. The small amount of the minced onion/onion powder I use is more to just give a tiny bit of the flavor, without any discernible bits or chunks.  Even with as fine as Adam grated that onion, it seemed to be a lot, so the onion flavor would have been very apparent.

• Love 1

First off, I binge watched this show last weekend and I am hooked!  Didn't know what I was missing.

Second, Let me tell you, Adam wouldn't have gotten one damn dollar of his tip from me.  This dumb passive-aggressive asshole is actually getting in a pissing contest over a paying primary guest about a simple request like onions?  And thinks he is winning some sort of war with this rich guy who will go on living his life?  I'm so glad he pointedly let it be known that he knew the deal and lavishly complimented the rest of the crew and paid what they deserved for their service.  Adam should be fired and Malia is silly for falling for this loser.  

• Love 16

Okay, Wes.  I get you're bummed and your feelings and ego are bruised about Malia, but all the "good guys/bad guys/evil guys" stuff you were going on about was over the top.  

It's really not that serious.

And he's putting way too much of the blame of what happened on Adam.  He's not really considering that Malia may be a bit of a dick too.  She seems to enjoy the attention of all these guys "fighting" for her.  She's way too impressed with herself.

• Love 10

Holy cow. I know of the primary's company - I thought Novotny's name sounded familiar. CSI is a tribally-owned federal contractor. Interesting that he's willing to be seen sailing on yachts and flashing his money around. Government contractors are usually more conservative than that, because their income is derived from taxpayers and there are a boatload of regulations about stewardship of government funds. Some of these tribally-owned companies have been criticized for not passing enough profit back to tribal members.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, msgxoxo said:

My opinions are changing for some of these people. 

Adam is such an asshole! And so immature and unprofessional. He thinks the guest is demanding and hard to please (and a redneck.. lol) because the guy doesn't want onions? That's not a crazy request to make. I usually ask for my food with no onions. Guests who spend that much money are allowed to make special requests, especially one as small as that. I'm glad the guy called him out in front of everyone though he looked embarrassed. 

Also, Malia! She is starting to annoy me. I was on her side at first but now she seems like she's just leading each guy on so they all keep giving her attention. Like how she kind of told Bobby that he still had a chance so he would keep trying to get with her. 

Adam is an immature asshole and I'm glad that the primary took the time to specify how every department was able meet and exceed his expectations, except for food. Although the primary didn't have any proof that Adam was being a condescending jackass, being that specific in his praise and critique countered Adam's condescension about the guests being drunken rednecks from Oklahoma who didn't know any better. I'm also glad the primary called him out for his crappy Hampton Inn continental breakfast.

Malia must secrete some type of pheromone because I'm not really getting her appeal. She is one thirsty attention seeking girl.

When she left to follow Adam back because "one of our crew was having a bad day," my response was that he should be having a bad day. His bad day is entirely his fault. If I walk out my door, kick people's dogs, steal candy from children, and knock old people on the ground, I can't be surprised when someone comes up and decks me for being an asshole. Adam has been an asshole for this entire charter and he got caught. He deserves to feel shitty because he did shitty things. Bugsy's grandmother died. Where was deckhand save-a-ho's compassion when that happened? Bitch please. She wanted to ride Adam's dick which is why she was suddenly feeling empathetic.

This is precisely why I can't with Hannah. It's possible that Bugsy could have said something to stop Adam from undermining Hannah, but honestly it's not Bugsy's responsibility to do so. Hannah should have pulled Adam aside and told him in no uncertain terms, he is not to pull that shit ever again and if he did that she's going to the captain.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 16

Really Adam?  When you put together a resume as a culinary genius maybe you can make the condescending remarks you made about the primary.  And even then, top chefs understand their job is to please the diner.  You need an ego check.

Malia needs to mature a bit...ok a lot.  She is really pretty and cute physically and I can see how guys are attracted to her.  But when she said Bobby was more her type?  Yikes.  Wes overall is a better choice over Adam or Bobby.  But she's young.  Hopefully she'll figure that out.

Damn, I get how Hannah was all pissed off.

Sandy should have fired Adam and I have no doubt she wanted to but getting a replacement with short notice would be next to impossible.  Unless Ben was available.  Calling Leon would have been beyond desperation. 

All in all, a good episode.  I just wonder how some of these charter guests can look at their behavior on screen and not be mortified.  Lesson - there's a lot of egotistical fame whores out in the world and they love coming back because they love the attention more than the asses they look like.

• Love 3

Adam is a total asshole.  Malia clearly is as well for being attracted and running after him.

Poor Wes.  He's such a cutie.  

I do think Malia loves having men -- and women -- falling all over her.  I get that it is intoxicating.  But I think she gives them all a teeny bit of hope to pull them back in when they start to turn away.

• Love 7

Adam pissed me off so much tonight.  I hate it when people use rednecks--especially as insults. I also hate it when people use new money as an insult.  You know what?  They paid for the charter. It doesn't matter if their money is new or old.  It is money and they paid to be treated with respect and have their food preferences followed which seems to be something Adam is incapable of doing. I wish he was fired but I also understand Sandy's point about it being impossible to find a replacement in Croatia on a short notice. 

Malia is cute but she isn't all that. I guess when there are only 3 other women on board and 1 is in a committed relationship then cute becomes a sliding scale. She's young and hopefully, she will learn how to act more professionally in the future. 

I'm happy that Hannah called out Adam and also went to Sandy about Oniongate. However, I do wish she would fix things with Bugs. It wasn't Bugs saying that she should be chief stew. However, I can also see where maybe Hannah would be wondering if Bugs played into it too considering the history with Bugs trying to manage Lauren.  It is a situation that needs to be dealt with. 

Bobby needs to stop. Lauren doesn't want him. Malia doesn't want him.  Just do your job. I can understand though his frustration with not getting to spend much time with Wes and learning from his bosun. Which leads me to...

I feel bad for Wes but Wes needs to make sure that everyone is getting treated equally and that all 3 of the deckhands are getting opportunities to learn. If he is always putting Malia with him because he likes her then that is unfair to both Bobby and Max. He also just needs to give it up on Malia.  He needs someone older that has it pulled together a bit more than Malia. 

I think Max is still my favorite. LOL.  He's just so darn sweet and nice and cute. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I enjoyed this episode.

Adam is absolutely a dick and the use of the word psychotic to desribe him - twice - was appropriate.  Such a disappointment after his spectacular citrus cake.  He also makes me a bit afraid to eat food prepared by anyone but me.

I am not a Malia fan, but she is young and I appreciated her honesty in simply stating that she enjoys all the male attention.  Do I have any hope for future Malia 5 or 10 years from now?  No.  However I can give her a pass for youth inexperience and stupidity right now.  I do hope for her sake that her judgement gets better with time.  It takes some time, some exposure, and some unforgettably bad trials  to hone asshole-identification skills for a young girl.  You had it totally right though, Wes.

Bobby is a dolt.

Hannah is letting way too much slide and I expected more from her.  At least she went to the captain with the Adam issue.

Poor Bugs.  I do like her and she can't get a break.  First her grandmother, then getting caught in the middle of the Adam/Hannah mess, which she should not have been a part of and did not contribute to.

Still loving Captain Sandy and hoping to see her can psycho Adam in the next episode or two, when she realizes what a miscreant he is.

Edited by PumpkinPK
  • Love 2
(edited)

I've never been a fan of Hannah's and this episode reminds me why. She has this annoying way of getting drunk and then loudly confiding with someone that calls to mind my drunk aunt at the holidays. Lauren looked so uncomfortable during that interaction. I hate to agree with Adam but based purely on professionalism, Bugsy probably is a better stew (mainly because she doesn't get drunk and shit talk her subordinates). If not for the fact that Hannah already appeared on the show in the chief stew position, Bugsy would probably have her job. Also it does not bode well that she's flirting, and possibly hooking up with, a charter guest next week! SMH. He's cute but not THAT cute.

Loving Captain Sandy!!! And I literally squealed when she called Adam out on saying he put the onions in out of spite. I HATE that she is in a bind and can't fire him. What's the over/under Chef Ben makes a surprise appearance? 

Edited by rho
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, rho said:

HATE that she is in a bind and can't fire him. What's the over/under Chef Ben makes a surprise appearance? 

Ben isn't coming but it's absolutely ludicrous that she couldn't find another chef, they started filming in October which is the last dregs of the Med season and a bunch of people leaving boats. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, msgxoxo said:

I didn't get the impression that she was leading Bobby on. I thought she was trying to let him down easy but typical Bobby has zero social skills and severely misinterpreted that exchange.

I'm on the fence with Malia because on the one hand, I totally pulled that shit when I was 19, but also she's not 19 anymore and she could at least use a little discretion instead of parading her two boyfriends around the boat. Wes is flip-flopping all over the place, I don't buy that he's done pursuing Malia and his good guy speech made me cringe. If I know one truth in this world, it's that as soon as a guy self-appoints himself as a "good guy" he is about to prove to me that he is not. Exhibit A: Season 1 Bobby

Adam can suck it. He's sulking around like he invented onions and this bad day isn't entirely self-inflicted. Malia can cool it with the savior routine. It's not like he left early because he had a tummy ache. He feels guilty, as he fucking should, because he is a flaming dickhead. Or more likely, Malia wasn’t paying enough attention to him and his wittle feewings got hurt.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

What was the point of Adam and Malia going to the falls? At least Booby and Max carried shit also why did Adam look like a fucking slob if he was "working"?

I didn't understand this either. First, he looked like a schlub. Second, shouldn't he have been back at the boat preparing the next meal of onion salad, onion casserole, and onion basted onions? 

• Love 17

It would please me so much if Hannah gets fired next episode.  Crosses fingers she hooks up with guest......

Bugsy SHOULD be in charge.  Hannah is a horrible supervisor and should be doing laundry for the rest of the season. Bugsy has done nothing but her job.  Hannah is a petty person. Even if bugsy had done something, as a professional, Hannah should take her to the side and speak to her about it.

Instead?  Again with the junior high crap.  Oh.  Let's suddenly become best buddies with the 3rd stew, who I've shit talked ALOT about with other crew members.  Yeah.  Let's lead Lauren of all people on and allow her to think that you like her.  When you don't. 

That's going to work out well (rolls eyes).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

What was the point of Adam and Malia going to the falls? At least Booby and Max carried shit also why did Adam look like a fucking slob if he was "working"?

So Malia could fulfill her fantasy of being on The Bachelorette and go on mini-dates with all her suitors? Didn't she even say something like, "I felt bad that Wes didn't get any alone time with me"?

• Love 15

Hannah and the other chief stew Kate have trouble dealing with conflict. To borrow an overused phrase, they "lean in" toward conflict instead of avoiding or mediating it. They seem to be attracted to the drama.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was wondering the same thing about Adam's appearance and dress code when they went to the falls.  Ben never dressed like that in front of the guests.  WTH?  Not acceptable at all. 

I get where Hannah was coming from with regard to Bugs.  Bugs sat and said nothing while Adam went off on Hannah.  We've seen Hannah stand up for her girls.  I can understand her wanting some of the same.  Bugs silence more or less could have been viewed as her agreeing with Adam.

I have zero respect for Adam.  He goes all out preparing breakfast for little Malia, but can't put together more than cheese and fruit for the guests.  Not cool.  

And I'm sorry, I just don't get the Malia obsession with these guys.  She has a cute little body, but to have three guys panting after her is pretty over the top.  Wes needs to run away as far as he can get.  Her standing up for Adam and then following him to the boat was just pure silly.  The others had every right to be pissed and sound off about it.  

Oh and Adam's attire is just grubby.  

• Love 12
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Was happy too hear Captain Sandy call him out on his uniform too. He talks about the charter guests being to full of themselves  to enjoy his meals but he his much more arrogant in the way he decides to present himself to the guests. And the backwards hat just screams disrespect. 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, missyb said:

He talks about the charter guests being to full of themselves  to enjoy his meals

And he also said something like "people hire me as a chef because they like my food" (as he stirring more onions into the soup). Newsflash: they hired the boat, they did not hire you specifically. Your job is to provide food that *they* want, not whatever the hell you feel like cooking. 

For breakfast I would certainly expect at the least, cooked to order eggs any way I want them. And if you can't make shrimp creole (or whatever it was) taste good without onions, then MAKE SOMETHING ELSE!

• Love 17

There was nothing sweeter than the primary charter guest, and the captain calling out asshole Adam in front of the entire staff, and then the captain finishing him off in private! Delicious!

Malia running after sulking Adam. Stop, girl. Does she need the adoration that badly? 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Maccagirl said:

I was wondering the same thing about Adam's appearance and dress code when they went to the falls.  Ben never dressed like that in front of the guests.  WTH?  Not acceptable at all. 

He looks like he hasn't bathed in years.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

How shitty are the staff meals that Adam are preparing  that making out with the chef just gets you spinach in your scrambled eggs.

Well - we saw how low rent the guest breakfasts were, I would imagine that crew meals are not even up to that standard.  

If I were a charter guest and served those basic breakfasts, I would have been pissed.  I love breakfast foods, especially when someone else is preparing them!  

• Love 10

And he also said something like "people hire me as a chef because they like my food" (as he stirring more onions into the soup). Newsflash: they hired the boat, they did not hire you specifically. Your job is to provide food that *they* want, not whatever the hell you feel like cooking. 

This!! Thank you! I guess I didn't catch his credentials, but is this his first time working on a yacht? I've never seen such levels of delusion, and that's after having been exposed to both Ben & Leon. I'm also in the camp of not understanding why he is never out of his t-shirt/shorts/backwards cap combo. I think it's just a given on this series that I'm going to be annoyed by whoever the chef is. 

I'm totally #TeamHannah when it comes to the Adam situation...not so much with the Bugsy situation. She is totally projecting on the poor girl. It seems as though after Adam's comment, all Bugsy did was suggest that another stew go with Lauren (who was losing her shit), and that means that her head has started to swell?? Whatever Hannah. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Really Adam?  When you put together a resume as a culinary genius maybe you can make the condescending remarks you made about the primary.  And even then, top chefs understand their job is to please the diner.  You need an ego check.

Malia needs to mature a bit...ok a lot.  She is really pretty and cute physically and I can see how guys are attracted to her.  But when she said Bobby was more her type?  Yikes.  Wes overall is a better choice over Adam or Bobby.  But she's young.  Hopefully she'll figure that out.

Damn, I get how Hannah was all pissed off.

Sandy should have fired Adam and I have no doubt she wanted to but getting a replacement with short notice would be next to impossible.  Unless Ben was available.  Calling Leon would have been beyond desperation. 

All in all, a good episode.  I just wonder how some of these charter guests can look at their behavior on screen and not be mortified.  Lesson - there's a lot of egotistical fame whores out in the world and they love coming back because they love the attention more than the asses they look like.

If she did hire Leon  we would be back to beef cheek tuesdays. On the bright side the  captain has been through a shipboard fire before so a galley fire shouldn't throw her. Also there would be someone to hate more than Bobby.

• Love 5