Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Week 4: Hilton Head Island

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Being uncomfortable, should make a person more aware.  So when they see the behavior in their regular life, they recognize it, rather than act like it doesn't exist.  

Like people wont know racism exists until they see it on "The Bachelorette?"  The nightly news wasn't getting through?

ETA: My news showed the entire video of Philando Castile being shot seven times in front of his wife.  Yet Rachel's chance to star in a little fantasy romance show needs to be used as a vehicle to "make people uncomfortable." 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

did laugh at Kenny afterward using the phonetic Sham-PAG-na after missing his word. You can stay, Kenny!

You wouldn't believe how many people in Illinois spell it Champaign.  (after the city) 

• Love 1

I guess I don't understand why some would take offense to Peter using  "hood" in a rap song.  My son loves rap music and is quite good at making up his own.  Depending on the subject of his songs, they can be filled Black cultural references and slang common in many rap verses and he isn't making fun of or being disrespectful toward the African-American community when he does it.  We are a white, college-educated middle class family.  I don't get freaked out by some of my son's more eyebrow raising prose because we are white and don't live the lifestyle described in some rap songs.  I take it for what it is:  a work of fiction, creative license if you will.   Not one of the men doesn't know Rachel comes from a prestigious, well-to-do family.  It was a joke.  A word to rhyme with "good".   I just wonder if folks would be so taken aback if one of the African-American men had used the word "hood".  All in all, it seems such a small, silly thing.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

I do have to wonder why ABC would allow such a powder keg of a issue to be allowed on a escapist reality show. I mean this is not a documentary or a drama show. They say they didn't know about his racist tweets before he was cast but I don't buy that. We know that they thoroughly have to research these people before they cast them. To believe they don't check the contestants SM before they cast them is unbelievable. I believe they know perfectly well the less than desirable people they are casting and purposely cast them to create drama. But to cast someone who they knew had racial tendencies in a larger than usual black cast is creating drama that goes way beyond their usual villain casting in my opinion. And with the first black lead you would think they would want to keep out any racial innuendo.

Because any publicity is good publicity - at least in their minds. It is because Rachel is black they went that route because the race factor was there whether some want to admit it or not. Being the first African American lead, it was pretty much a storyline on its own. So they cast the racist hoping to cause drama that no matter how much viewers will call them gross and disgusting and exploitative will still make the show a hot trending topic and guess what, people will also still watch. Because it's simple - controversy sells. And when have these producers ever suggested that they have standards and are above exploiting anything as long as it gets them ratings?

I guess I don't understand why some would take offense to Peter using  "hood" in a rap song.  My son loves rap music and is quite good at making up his own.  Depending on the subject of his songs, they can be filled Black cultural references and slang common in many rap verses and he isn't making fun of or being disrespectful toward the African-American community when he does it.  We are a white, college-educated middle class family.  I don't get freaked out by some of my son's more eyebrow raising prose because we are white and don't live the lifestyle described in some rap songs.  I take it for what it is:  a work of fiction, creative license if you will.   Not one of the men doesn't know Rachel comes from a prestigious, well-to-do family.  It was a joke.  A word to rhyme with "good".   I just wonder if folks would be so taken aback if one of the African-American men had used the word "hood".  All in all, it seems such a small, silly thing.

Okay a few things. One, it's not that he used the word hood, it's that he referenced her being from there. So yeah that was side-eye worthy. Two, being college-educated doesn't make one automatically immune to saying inappropriate things. And saying something inappropriate doesn't make one a racist. It just means that someone found what they said or did in that moment inappropriate.  Speaking for myself, I don't think Peter is a racist. I don't think Peter is a bad guy for the comment. I just thought it was slightly inappropriate. Just like I didn't think Dean was an awful person or a racist for his go black and never go back comment. But I accepted why it bothered some.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ridethemaverick said:

Aw, it must be really hard to watch racial microaggressions on tv. And then to come to your favorite board and have to read about race too. (((hugs))) I hope Lee goes next week so that racism will be over forever.

I love you

• Love 4

Why do they always get these no name ass country singers? I feel like someone like Brett Eldredge would be on board to appear on this show. Instead every season is dancing to some generic song by some country singer who's name you forget in two minutes.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if Peter was dropped on his pretty pretty head as a baby. He's not razor sharp. Still, eye candy. I love that Josiah was drinking out of his trophy and at the end they were doing Game of Thrones voices. Made me laugh. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because any publicity is good publicity - at least in their minds. It is because Rachel is black they went that route because the race factor was there whether some want to admit it or not. Being the first African American lead, it was pretty much a storyline on its own. So they cast the racist hoping to cause drama that no matter how much viewers will call them gross and disgusting and exploitative will still make the show a hot trending topic and guess what, people will also still watch. Because it's simple - controversy sells. And when have these producers ever suggested that they have standards and are above exploiting anything as long as it gets them ratings. 

Well that makes me wonder if Rachel as intelligent as she is was still mislead by the producers or if she agreed to it . Whether totally or partially. Or in other words was she aware producers would use some controversy but not to the extinct they did or was it part of her contract and she had no choice? Or was she aware of the extinct and still agreed? How much authority did she have in the matter?

(edited)

I have to admit that when someone said Will read 6 books a day it immediately made him 6 times hotter to me.

I wasn't crazy about  "from the hood" but I am also strongly in the camp that one should never rap on this show under any circumstances. It's up there with reading one of your poems to the Bach. Just do not.

Diggy was really cute and I'm sorry to see him go, especially to keep a rube like Lee.

I'm also kind of over the worn out tripe of the sworn enemies getting the 2 on 1 that appears to be happening next week. 

I'm kind of bored by this season, I barely paid attention and missed all the disingenuous although my ears did perk at Disinginuwine (I like his song "Pony")

Edited by Kbilly
  • Love 4

I know a lot of people had issues with the guys lack of spelling skills but it didn't bother me.  In this day and age, I don't feel it's a accurate indicator of someone's intelligence. It's probably because I'm a pretty atrocious speller myself, and I'd be in big trouble without spellcheck.  

• Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, CCee123 said:

I know a lot of people had issues with the guys lack of spelling skills but it didn't bother me.  In this day and age, I don't feel it's a accurate indicator of someone's intelligence. It's probably because I'm a pretty atrocious speller myself, and I'd be in big trouble without spellcheck.  

It isn't indicative of their intelligence but it does show how much they read or don't. I don't blame some of the guys for getting a few words in between wrong, but Eric and Peter spelling facade and coitus beginning with "ph" and "q" respectively kind of shows to me they don't read widely. Because if you do read (even random magazines), you would at least know what alphabet a word starts with. YMMV.

Speaking of Eric, I did a 180 and actually really liked him in this episode. When he called Iggy a gossip queen, I was like YES! That's exactly what he is! Eric was making so much sense I can't believe he was the same guy who kept shouting "name in mouth" last episode. I think he is a good dude, just sometimes too emotional. I like Josiah and his showboating too. Obviously he is not there for Rachel but he is good entertainment and seems to be a good guy in general. The whole spelling bee date was fun; from the booze cruise to the actual spelling bee competition. And once again, Bryan looked like he wanted the couch to swallow him when the other guys were arguing. I think this is the 2nd time and he is not even looking at the guys' faces, LOL.

I felt so bad for Kenny when Rachel just left him mid-sentence because Bryan showed up. She even finished his sentence for him, so that she could go off ASAP with Bryan. Bryan didn't even have to say "excuse me". Kenny seems like a sweetheart and I hated Lee picking on him. I think Lee is the type of person who picks on guys he thinks he can provoke. I am not even sure it is racial-motivated but he picks on guys who tend to be more emotional so that they would get worked up over it while he sits there and watch. He doesn't know that by doing so, it actually shows what an insecure guy he himself is.

Peter read that date card like he was at a funeral. He needs to stop being so self-conscious.

I like Will. I like Adam, Jr. too. Can they bring him to BIP as well? He can be a great listening ear. He looks so intriguing and I want him speaking more french.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/19/2017 at 9:03 PM, Ohwell said:

Well, she said "mischeevious" a couple weeks ago, so she should have kept him because they'd make a great match. 

I missed it. What's wrong with the way she said it?

ETA: Oh never mind I see. It's just that in the south that's how we all say it anyway. I suppose it's technically incorrect but it sounds more like what it means when you pull out the ee and add the "i". Sort of like adding in devious. It should be a word.

Edited by Sharonbee
  • Love 4
On 6/19/2017 at 9:19 PM, hoosiermom said:

Why on earth did she keep Lee? Is that Production shenanigans?

Almost certainly.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, bosawks said:

Shut up Lee, you're not even an entertaining villain.

Chad was a much better villain. Even Nick when he was the villain. Lee is just obnoxious and ugly.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

There was a guy who got a rose last night whose name, I think, was Matt.  I swear, I don't remember him.  Has he ever said anything?

All I know is he was the one in the penguin costume.

12 hours ago, itainttippithebird said:

While it may be true that he didn't know that, it's pretty basic racism 101 shit and I am of the mind that it is the responsibility of white people (self included) to educate themselves on those kinds of biases early and often. (Unless Rachel said off camera that she considers herself "from the hood" and that it's a point of pride and even THEN I wouldn't go there...).

Intent really doesn't matter when the consequences of racism are so real and so high stakes, in my opinion.

Is there maybe a website or something that white people can go to? LOL! I think people should just lighten up on the whole that's racist bs and just talk to each other. It's amazing what you learn when you're not listening to something to be offended about. Rachel didn't seem offended one bit. She has a really great sense of humor and a great sense of herself.

• Love 5
(edited)

Even if we all know he shouldn't have said it, I honestly believe Peter didn't mean anything by those words. In the moment, it's what he thought of that rhymes with good. In contrast, Dean had a lot of time to think up his line. They both remain my favorite 2 guys!

re: an above post....there's a MATT?! And I think someone named Bryce left. I have no clues who these guys are. Has Jack Stone ever spoken??

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, nutty1 said:

re: an above post....there's a MATT?! And I think someone named Bryce left. I have no clues who these guys are. Has Jack Stone ever spoken??

Matt is the one with the receding hairline. I only remember seeing him at rose ceremonies - he gets no screen time otherwise. Bryce was the elfin-looking firefighter who got booted at this episode's rose ceremony. Jack Stone was part of the quirk/quark/cork conversation with Dean and booger-rolling Brady.

• Love 1
(edited)

The last season of the Bachelorette/Bachelor that I watched was Trista and Ryan before watching Nick and now Rachel. I'm disgusted by Lee and his storyline. It's frustrating and a little triggering to see his racist microaggressions play out on TV. It may seem like nothing to some viewers, but imagine going through life and meeting a lot of different Lees in a lot of different situations, it gets frustrating. It also becomes harder to ignore especially in a situation like this one where emotions are already high. I'm choosing to not watch the show until he is eliminated because I don't watch tv to be frustrated.

Someone upthread say that they think Rachel was crying because she was told to keep Lee and I believe that as well. She seemed over it and refused to continue talking to the producer. I feel for her and I feel for Kenny and Eric who had to deal with that man. 

Edited by bk10
  • Love 17

How the actual F does that white douche nozzle know if Rachael was from the hood? This is not the first time that these asshole have made racial stereotype comments. Remember the once I go black I'm not going back comment. Hope it was not the same asshole who said that. The only reason he used the word hood is because she is black if it was a white girl he would never have made that association. I wish these dudes would just shut to F up.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Sharonbee said:

I missed it. What's wrong with the way she said it?

ETA: Oh never mind I see. It's just that in the south that's how we all say it anyway. I suppose it's technically incorrect but it sounds more like what it means when you pull out the ee and add the "i". Sort of like adding in devious. It should be a word.

But she's a lawyer so she should know better.

But fuck correct grammar, let's just all make up our own words.  See how far that gets us. 

Yup.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've cooled on Peter since the 1-on-1 date (I don't know if he's not attracted to Rachel or just so wrapped up in his head that he can't completely relax in front of the cameras), but I was watching Rachel during his rap (I can't watch any of the guys rapping -- on any season -- the secondhand embarrassment is too much) and she laughed immediately after his "hood" line, which gave me the impression that it's something they've discussed. Either she and Peter or she and all the guys -- maybe she told them, "Oh, white guys assume all the time that I'm 'from the hood' because I'm black" and he was riffing on that. We don't know everything they've discussed and if PETER of all people can get out of his head a little bit and actually let loose and have fun (while rapping horribly) in front of the group, and if Rachel wasn't bothered at all, especially KNOWING that she's very aware of the racism issues starting to percolate with Lee, then I think it's not a big deal.

Lee, on the other hand, is a scumbag, and I hope the world ignores him for the rest of his life -- because THAT is how you get under the skin of that type of person. Reading him the riot act, bitching him out, etc., won't work because he'll just keep that infuriating smirk on his face while the other person loses it. 

Edited by ddiced35
Incomplete sentence.
  • Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, CCee123 said:

People learn to spell by reading a lot.  You both memorize how words are spelled and learn to predict how a word should be spelled by spending a lot of time reading.  Modern technology doesn't prevent anyone from spending a lot of time reading and honing their grammar and spelling skills.  It makes a wide variety of material to read all the more accessible.  (I agree with @waving feather)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
(edited)
14 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

So is Diggy the cutie with the glasses who was sent home last nite? I was hoping to see more of him.

He is a hottie isn't he?!  Any guy that can rock a bowtie is a-ok to me.  I was bummed to see him go as well.  As far as the spelling bee goes enh it doesn't bother me as much either.  Knowing the definition if a word is more important, IMO, than knowing how to spell it.  Besides I would rather have a kind hearted, sweet man (like most of these guys seem to be) than someone that can ace a spelling bee.  Also don't forget they were just on a boat drinking most of the afternoon; I can't imagine anyone's spelling would be up to par after 4 or 5 adult beverages.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

I was a bit sad that Diggy left. He seemed real and not over the top like Josiah (though drinking out of the cup was hilarious). 

Dean had a great week. He's pretty smart and nice and a little awkward. Good all around.

I will be skipping next week, though. Not going to reward the producers for another super-manufactured 2-on-1 - especially when I would have to see a lot of douchebag Lee. See you all in two weeks!

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

I was a bit sad that Diggy left. He seemed real and not over the top like Josiah (though drinking out of the cup was hilarious). 

Rachel must be pissed that she had to keep Lee the producer plant to let a nice guy go. I hope they know they got played.

23 hours ago, F. M. said:

Russell Dickerson , the song was  Yours.:)

So...what would have happened to the street concert if Rachel had not given Dean a rose?  Would it have been canceled or was Rachel always going to have to give him the rose so as to not upset a street full of Russell Dickerson fans??

Rachel definitely was forced to keep Lee.  It would certainly explain the breakdown she had.  I'm curious: what would the consequence be if Rachel decided to have Lee leave?  The show is all about drama so she could lay a good smackdown on him just like she did with DeMario.  

Other notes about this episode:

1) Dean: so very adorable, but his childhood story just broke my heart.
2) Peter: still very attractive, but doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed based on the spelling bee.  His use of the word "hood" in his rap made me cringe, but Rachel seemed cool with it.  There's probably an inside joke or something.  

3) Lee: he's such a scumbag
4) Eric: not a bad guy, but he is definitely not ready for marriage or dating for that matter.  He comes across as 16 even though he's 29.

5) Iggy: he is an immature drama queen who seems to have a  knight-in-shining-armor complex.

6)Bryce: I know he's a firefighter, but if there is ever another Lord of the Rings type of movie, then he needs to be cast as an elf.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, PhysNerd said:

Rachel definitely was forced to keep Lee.  It would certainly explain the breakdown she had.  I'm curious: what would the consequence be if Rachel decided to have Lee leave?  The show is all about drama so she could lay a good smackdown on him just like she did with DeMario.  

But, she COULD!  

Remember, Chris Harrison said, very somberly, that he "could facilitate anything you want" 

And, Chris would NEVER lie, right?

9 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

But, she COULD!  

Remember, Chris Harrison said, very somberly, that he "could facilitate anything you want" 

And, Chris would NEVER lie, right?

GASP!!!! Why would you ever even utter those words!!!

But she's a lawyer so she should know better.

But fuck correct grammar, let's just all make up our own words.  See how far that gets us. 

Yup.

Re:  mischievous vs. mischievious (from Webster's)

"A pronunciation \mis-ˈchē-vē-əs\ and a consequent spelling mischievious are of long standing: evidence for the spelling goes back to the 16th century. Our pronunciation files contain modern attestations ranging from dialect speakers to Herbert Hoover. But both the pronunciation and the spelling are still considered nonstandard."

So, yes, it's considered nonstandard, but it's not just making up words. I've heard it pronounced this way my entire life, personally. 

I loved the quirk/quark part and the GoT discussion (they really were horrible accents!). I really wish they would show more of this and less of the manufactured drama. Reward people for being real on reality TV, and more people might be motivated to follow suit. 

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, the eskimo said:

Re:  mischievous vs. mischievious (from Webster's)

"A pronunciation \mis-ˈchē-vē-əs\ and a consequent spelling mischievious are of long standing: evidence for the spelling goes back to the 16th century. Our pronunciation files contain modern attestations ranging from dialect speakers to Herbert Hoover. But both the pronunciation and the spelling are still considered nonstandard."

So, yes, it's considered nonstandard, but it's not just making up words. I've heard it pronounced this way my entire life, personally. 

I loved the quirk/quark part and the GoT discussion (they really were horrible accents!). I really wish they would show more of this and less of the manufactured drama. Reward people for being real on reality TV, and more people might be motivated to follow suit. 

I personally saw nothing wrong with that. So many areas of the country have different slang.

Hey, you say tomato, I say tomahto!! 

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't fault any of the guys for not doing well on a spelling bee.  I read a lot, and can spell very well if you give me a pen and paper.  Spelling out loud, for me, is difficult because I have to do it by creating a visual picture in my head, then "reading" the letters. Some people don't do that, they can recite it without a mental image. Different ways of learning.

That said, I once broke up with a guy because he wrote me a love letter with terrible spelling and grammar.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

So...what would have happened to the street concert if Rachel had not given Dean a rose?  Would it have been canceled or was Rachel always going to have to give him the rose so as to not upset a street full of Russell Dickerson fans??

He has fans? LOL

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, backformore said:

That said, I once broke up with a guy because he wrote me a love letter with terrible spelling and grammar.

A friend of mine once broke up with someone because she preferred spiral Kraft Dinner to the original version...although I really think that reason was just code for, "She wasn't attractive enough."

I loved the spelling bee idea, but I really think the show could have taken it much further. They have two hours to fill, so why not blow out that date into a full examination/Olympics episode? Use spelling as one test category, but incorporate other tests in arithmetic, geography, memory games, trivia, logic puzzles, 100m sprint, chinups, etc. A Bachelorette Decathlon episode appeals to me much more than wasting time on blimps and racists.

And on that topic of racists...I hate that the producers felt compelled to force this guy onto our screens. I have very little doubt they recruited him to serve this shit-stirring purpose, and that makes them no better than the shit-stirrer himself.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, waving feather said:

Peter read that date card like he was at a funeral. He needs to stop being so self-conscious.

That's how I see Peter - shy, self-conscious, and probably more towards the introverted end of the spectrum personality-wise. So when he did his attempt at white-boy low-impact rap and said 'in the hood' it was funny rather than offensive, because it was a rhyme after all and he made it to the end - that seemed to be the spirit Rachel took it - but then she's as into him as Des was Brooks (swoon!)...

This season is really reminding me of Des's season now. A whole load of guys not really into the lead, and a lot of figure-unflattering fashion choices in dressing the lead. With added aggro.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Sharonbee said:

All I know is he was the one in the penguin costume.

Is there maybe a website or something that white people can go to? LOL! I think people should just lighten up on the whole that's racist bs and just talk to each other. It's amazing what you learn when you're not listening to something to be offended about. Rachel didn't seem offended one bit. She has a really great sense of humor and a great sense of herself.

Black people have to deal with how their race affects them almost every day of their lives. I'm sure you can handle some mild race talk in comparison.

• Love 15
On 20.6.2017 at 3:28 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Iggy is such a loser!  Diggy was the cutest one and now he's gone.  Oh my.  

I'm in love with Dean now. I went from zero to hero.  Not sure I'm turning back.

I'm a little tipsy right now

You know I was never into Will but then when someone said "he reads like, 6 books a day"?  Shit.  I'm feeling him now.

And that quiet guy who rode the horses with Rachel?  Don't know his name?  Oh my god he's so hot and reminds me of someone.  (Googled:  Anthony).  Something about him really, really reminds me of someone famous.... or like a model or something...  Tyson Beckford?!

This is exactly how I feel too.

I´m not sensing any disinterest from most  of the guys towards Rachel, most of them are crazy about her, crazier than I have ever seen on this show in fact. And some cry when they leave. I think they´d even offer to be in a "Hunger games" contest for the chance to marry her.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, backformore said:

I don't fault any of the guys for not doing well on a spelling bee.  I read a lot, and can spell very well if you give me a pen and paper.  Spelling out loud, for me, is difficult because I have to do it by creating a visual picture in my head, then "reading" the letters. Some people don't do that, they can recite it without a mental image. Different ways of learning.

Same here. I'm an editor and translator, and many people treat me like a walking dictionary — rare is the day that I don't get asked how to spell at least one word — but I have to stop and seriously think about it to spout out the letters out loud, and I too can only do it by effectively seeing the word in my head. I've never actually participated in a spelling bee, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I would fare shockingly badly if I ever did. The fact that you don't get any sort of do-over if you screw up, even if you realize it, also sometimes screws people who clearly do actually know how to spell a word, but misspeak at the wrong moment.

That said, I did side-eye a few of the errors. Eric(?)'s rendition of "facade" was particularly inventive.

And I will echo all those who find the moments of people just hanging out and being themselves infinitely more entertaining and enjoyable than all the manufactured drama. Can we start a petition or something? Because it's been bad for a while, but this season seems to really be finding new lows in that department.

• Love 6

Did anybody else notice that Rachel is whispering something in Diggy's neck when she hugs him goodbye? I wonder if she told him she didn't want him to leave. She appears to be speaking away from the mic. When the camera pans back around to show Diggy's face, he is acknowledging whatever she said.

• Love 4

I think what pisses me off about Lee is that the producers knew he was a racist douchecanoe before they brought him on. They are doing this on purpose. And it's not to get people talking about race, because they're going to do that based on the nature of Rachel being the first Bachelorette of colour - they did it hoping for a confrontation. It feels gross and manipulative, not to mention disrespectful to Rachel and all of the other contestants that have to put up with it knowing it was brought to them to try and trigger a response.

• Love 13