Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Week 4: Hilton Head Island

• Start Topic

Eric asks the rest of the bachelors to stop talking about him to Rachel; two men get into an argument, distracting Rachel; after the rose ceremony, Rachel and the men travel to South Carolina.

1 minute ago, hoosiermom said:

Why on earth did she keep Lee? Is that Production shenanigans?

I thought she had a "i'm going to throw up" look on her face when she said his name

• Love 16

I was crushing on Dean a lot today. Didn't feel he was too young for her today. To think this is the same guy from ATFR with the "once you go black..." comment, when I automatically dismissed him as just a pretty face. I'm totally ok with him as next Bachelor if she doesn't pick him.

Ok, enough of Lee and Iggy already! 

Alas, the American education system in all its pathetic display.

• Love 16
(edited)

How come some of the words in the spelling bee were like "stunning" and others were like "boudoir"? I liked his banter better than Josiah's, but how did Peter so badly screw up "coitus"?

Lee is a douchebag.

I think it's pretty obvious Rachel is in to Bryan. She basically lit up at the rose ceremony when she got to call him forward.

I have no horse in the Peter/Bryan race but I from what we've seen on this show I don't think Bryan is all that skeevy.

Dean's story about his mom was heartbreaking. One of the worst things I overheard my grandfather say toward the end of his life was that he was "just waiting to die". Looking back he meant it more as an acceptance, but I can't imagine hearing something similar from your mother when you're still just a kid.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 7
(edited)

Did the producers have a bet on the amount of men the could get to say "disengenious?"

Rachel DID NOT want to pick Lee. She seemed genuinely upset when hugging Diggy and Elf boy.

Dean had no idea what to do on the stage.  He definitely didn’t want to just stand there and stare into her eyes.  He did every move he could think of to avoid that

So the only white guy to take his shirt off is Lee.  I really wish they would just keep their shirts on in those situations.

I’m sorry, but Eric just seems ghetto to me. Aks instead of ask really drives me crazy. though Eric is not looking for trouble, others bring it to him.

Iggy is an idiot

Rachel doesn’t look too into Josiah.  I waver back and forth on him.  Think he's funny and smart, but then he gets all braggy.

Peter seems more into her – maybe he was just trying to take it slower, but he's starting to seem not all that bright.

She had a Weird pose sitting with Eric – arm around him, his around her back

Rachel is so over the drama.

After tonight, I would like Will, Bryan, Alex.  Peter is still a hotty, and is staying out of the drama, but the seeming lack of brains is turning me off.  Dean is just too young, as is Eric.  Kenny is too needy, Lee is a dick, Iggy is stalker dude personified,

Edited by Ripley68
  • Love 4
(edited)

Something about Rachel I just don't care for, but I can't put my finger on it.  I didn't like her little tantrum about how hard it is to be in her situation.  Yes, we know that we'll never know how hard it is.  Just like we'll never get piles of cash to kiss cute guys and be on TV.   

And now she's proved that she's JUST like all the other leads.  She has to jump through as many of their hoops as they demand.  Keeping Lee proved that. 

I'm only partially paying attention to what's happening, and that's unusual for me.  I completely missed Peter's rap.  

I guess I just don't buy anything she's selling.  

And I now feel much better about no BIP this season, because I really don't care for many of her guys either.  Alex & Dean seem nice and very attractive, but none of these guys have any real sizzle to me.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

I still prefer big dumb beautiful Peter....

am I heartless at rolling my eyes when Rachel was crying about people judging her choices and how hard the show is? I mean, seriously? I like her but girl no. 

• Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, weightyghost said:

Pretty sure Peter just said that too... oh, pretty babe. 

And he spelled coitus with a Q. Yeah, okay. I saw a bit more life from Peter tonight and he definitely seemed to be trying more. However, something was still off for me with him and I'm wondering if it's because of the therapy. Therapy is a great thing but I find sometimes, people that go through it become almost too in their heads and self aware and maybe lose some of their natural quality. Like something about him always seems a bit stiff and awkward even while he and Rachel are saying sweet things to each other. I don't know, it's weird. 

I saw speculation online about Rachel knowing that some of the Lee drama was potentially racially motivated and that's why she was so upset before the Rose Ceremony and I can believe it. Because it seemed odd that she just started talking about knowing the judgement she would get for her decisions being the first black female lead. And it's clear other guys noticed because Dean flat out called it out and I liked how he wasn't going to play the producer's fake game, pretending she didn't know exactly what he was saying about Lee. 

eta: I really like Dean. I see no future with him and Rachel but I enjoyed their date. I liked how happy and chill he seems. 

Rachel is so over the drama.

Is she really? Because it seems to me she kept entertaining it. Rachel doesn't have to keep asking guys their thoughts about others and I had a problem last week when she told Eric exactly who told her what about him. It just feels unnecessary and can only lead to drama and then she starts crying about not wanting any drama. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 17
(edited)

Peter's rap mentioning black girls from the hood ewww

Send them all home. This is a bad batch. Shameless famewh*res. Has there ever been a group like this where the majority of the cast didn't even pretend to be into the lead and pursue her? They're not even faking it! Just want their tv time. Only Bryan, Josiah, Eric, Alex, and Kenny are putting forth any effort with Rachel. IMO She's chasing Peter and Dean I'm on the fence about. I personally like Will but he's not even pretending to be attracted to Rachel, which upsets me because he could've been a contender.  These clowns don't seem to understand that, even if you just want to be the bachelor or more tv opportunities, you at least have to pretend to care about the lead!  Most of these guys will be easily forgotten.  And to think Rachel made production go back and get a better group of guys.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

I saw speculation online about Rachel knowing that some of the Lee drama was potentially racially motivated

I admit to only partially paying attention, but didn't that get said (it may not have been about Lee, I admit)-- something about him not being "familiar" with "certain demographics" or something like that? Which I at first took as a class thing, but a bit later realized they were talking about race

• Love 1

I was crushing on Dean a lot today. Didn't feel he was too young for her today. To think this is the same guy from ATFR with the "once you go black..." comment, when I automatically dismissed him as just a pretty face. I'm totally ok with him as next Bachelor if she doesn't pick him.

I feel icky about coming around to the "once you go black..." guy, but there you have it.

Based on the little I've seen, I like Will and Josiah (even if the latter seems a bit cocky), but they don't seem to be real contenders. For some reason I was digging Diggy as well, but he's already gone. Boo. I kind of like Peter, but am not as over the moon about him as a lot of folks (and what was the line about her being "hood" during the rap battle...???). Bryan seems smarmy and disingenuous (although I get that there are some men who think that's how you flirt in real life). And Alex made an impression in the last episode, but he went back to being invisible today. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ugh. Hilton Head is the most racist place I've ever visited.

Dean is so freaking cute I can't stand it. He's too young but I definitely see why she'd be willing to give that a go. And their date was cute.

Kenny is growing on me and I don't know why.

Lee is everything I hate about passive aggressive covert racists. I can't wait for him to go and I have to believe him getting a rose was producer driven.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 14
35 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Something about Rachel I just don't care for, but I can't put my finger on it.  I didn't like her little tantrum about how hard it is to be in her situation.  Yes, we know that we'll never know how hard it is.  Just like we'll never get piles of cash to kiss cute guys and be on TV.   

Yep.  

From the grave, Rosa Parks was saying "hold my beer".

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, ridethemaverick said:

Dean is everything I hate about passive aggressive covert racists. I can't wait for him to go and I have to believe him getting a rose was producer driven.

I think you mean Lee. Dean was the one actually calling Lee out on his racist crap in his ITM. 

28 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I admit to only partially paying attention, but didn't that get said (it may not have been about Lee, I admit)-- something about him not being "familiar" with "certain demographics" or something like that? Which I at first took as a class thing, but a bit later realized they were talking about race

Yeah Dean said it. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I think you mean Lee. Dean was the one actually calling Lee out on his racist crap in his ITM. 

Yeah Dean said it. 

Ah, thank you. I changed it. Dean is my boyfriend in my head, how could I make such a mistake. :D

• Love 7
(edited)

Iggy is such a loser!  Diggy was the cutest one and now he's gone.  Oh my.  

I'm in love with Dean now. I went from zero to hero.  Not sure I'm turning back.

I'm a little tipsy right now

You know I was never into Will but then when someone said "he reads like, 6 books a day"?  Shit.  I'm feeling him now.

And that quiet guy who rode the horses with Rachel?  Don't know his name?  Oh my god he's so hot and reminds me of someone.  (Googled:  Anthony).  Something about him really, really reminds me of someone famous.... or like a model or something...  Tyson Beckford?!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Iggy is such a loser!  Diggy was the cutest one and now he's gone.  Oh my.  

I'm in love with Dean now. I went from zero to hero.  Not sure I'm turning back.

I'm a little tipsy right now

I'm with you on Diggy. And his exit was really classy, as I expected it would be.  I don't think we saw a single moment with just them but it was easy to tell he just wasn't her type.

• Love 5

Did TPTB tell the bachelors to stop using "not here for the right reasons" and instead replace it with "disingenuous" because they are using it like it's going out of style.

I really liked that Dean didn't play the producer's sound bite game. *slow clap*

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Iggy is a *&^%-stirrer

Iggy is the Alex of JoJo's season. Short, full of himself, and the self-appointed protector of the Bachelorette that no one asked for.  The thing with Alex was that at the beginning he had this "excuse" with Chad (as an explanation for his aggro behavior), but when Chad left he was still an a-hole. So it really wasn't about Chad. I sense the same thing with Iggy. As above, people that stir s--t do it wherever they are.

• Love 14

I think Rachel is a very pretty woman, but what's with the purple glitter eye shadow and tarantula fake lashes?  Makes her look like a drag queen.  Without makeup, she's a beauty.

• Love 11

Playing on racism for ratings  is why I tuned out of Unreal. Apparently ABC wants me to tune out of this show too.

And yes Rachel's season is as bad as Nick' with the people there who clearly arent even pretending to be interested in the lead and the people who are so forgettable  I can't place a face to a name.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I only see white people in the audience at the spelling bee.  

Its Hilton Head.  Aka, the most southern part of South Carolina.  Its a whole island of country club golfers for whom Charleston isnt deep enough in the south.  

1 hour ago, ridethemaverick said:

Ugh. Hilton Head is the most racist place I've ever visited.

Yup.  

18 minutes ago, Refresh said:

I really liked that Dean didn't play the producer's sound bite game. *slow clap*

Ha.  Yes on Dean.  That was beautiful.  Props to him for noticing the subtext too. Fwiw, 

Racism is not a quirk, Brady. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Ya know, it's not so much that Lee's actions have 'undercover' racist overtones. That's not why I loathe him. It's that he's an asshole who just loves to be an asshole and freely admits as much. He's a soulless spineless little (in so many ways) weasel that just lives to make people uncomfortable and make their blood boil. The only thing he likes better is laughing at the person he's after, preferably to their face saying things like 'whoa calm down bro' and 'what, are you going to hit me?'. Ass. I guess he bothers me so much since I went to an all guys high school where I saw this movie play out time and again.

He and Iggy are perfect for each other actually as Lee can be an asshole and Iggy can 'warn' everyone he comes in contact with that Lee is an asshole and feel he's saving someone.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 16
23 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Ya know, it's not so much that Lee's actions have 'undercover' racist overtones. That's not why I loathe him. It's that he's an asshole who just loves to be an asshole and freely admits as much. He's a soulless spineless little (in so many ways) weasel that just lives to make people uncomfortable and make their blood boil. The only thing he likes better is laughing at the person he's after, preferably to their face saying things like 'whoa calm down bro' and 'what, are you going to hit me?'. Ass. I guess he bothers me so much since I went to an all guys high school where I saw this movie play out time and again.

He and Iggy are perfect for each other actually as Lee can be an asshole and Iggy can 'warn' everyone he comes in contact with that Lee is an asshole and feel he's saving someone.

Yep. That's my problem with Lee as well. He is a shit-stirrer and an unnecessary one. You can never trust such people. 

Lol at all these guys. I'm far from a fantastic speller but really Peter? Starting coitus with a Q??! I understand misplacing the vowels in a word but hasn't he seen that word anywhere before?

• Love 2

I feel like putting the rose ceremony at the beginning is such a misfire. I watch with a group of friends and for the last 45 minutes or so, during what was essentially a revisit of last week--Lee as the racist gaslighter, Iggy as the bitch, and Josiah playing the role of Eric--most of us were just playing on our phones and waiting for Sebastian Stan to take his shirt off.

And next week? Snooze. Rachel kept Lee and Kenny because the producers made her; they're going to be gone not soon enough, so tell me why we should give a fuck? 

Oh but Dean...you're a swaddling babe but you're semi-woke and I hope good things come to you, away from this messy mess. 

• Love 7

Poor Rachel, she could hardily sit next to Lee. Its so obvious he's a producers pick, the little turd. Boy, its a shame I don't condone fighting, I'd like Kenny to give him what for. Dean is such a cutie, but I don't see any chemistry between the two. He's young, but he's also smart. He didnt let any slimy producer make him say something he didn't want to! 

I suspect Lee will be gone next week, there's still time for a thump! I think Josiah is full of himself, but he makes me smile.I loved the spelling bee..lol.

This to be continued , is BS! Once in awhile it was okay, now its every week! 

• Love 5
(edited)

Wow, so many are on my JUST GO NOW list:

Lee
Eric (cooler this week, but can't let last week go, especially with the previously scene showing him literally dancing with rage like some old Loony Tunes character)
Iggy
Josiah
Maybe Kenny

I hate, HATE it when someone being (passive) aggressive toward me smiles while they do it. Lee does this intentionally, because he knows how much people hate it, and that it infuriates them further. Iggy, however, is almost as snaky as Lee. What's with "tattling" on various guys to Rachel and then telling the guys, ensuring a shit-storm? Josiah is the most classless winner I've ever seen and ew with the pecs on the boat. Kenny needs to drop it with Lee and focus on his own game -- oh, sorry, "romantic journey."

Dean is as cute as a button! Probably too young for her, but just adorable, and was smart enough to avoid stepping in it with the producers.

Yeah, the producers insisted on keeping heinous Lee. Many much more appealing guys were still available for the "final rose tonight."

ETA: Yes! I loathe "to be continued." The show should end with a rose ceremony, just like Survivor ends with Tribal Council.

Edited by Catronia
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I think Rachel is a very pretty woman, but what's with the purple glitter eye shadow and tarantula fake lashes?  Makes her look like a drag queen.  Without makeup, she's a beauty.

Yeah, she needs to tone it down in the fake eyelash department for sure.

• Love 5
(edited)

The only thing I liked about the Lee scenes were the guys who were purposefully NOT engaging with him. We had Peter telling Rachel that he doesn't get involved in those talks. And, yep, Peter and some other guy were forced to sit at the bar and "listen" to Lee--but neither one would look at Lee or give any facial expression that they were even listening. Then I also loved when Kenny came over to talk to Lee. Some guy (don't know his name) said, "I'm not getting involved in this," but in the same breath said, "I'm not going to miss this" and ran to go peek out the window. This is the kind of contestant I would be--to know better than to get involved, but to grab my popcorn and a first row seat to watch everyone else's drama. But these are also the kinds of contestants who go home without any screen time; hence I don't know the guy's name. I THINK it might be the one who reads a lot of books and was in the GOT ending? He's my new background player favorite now that Diggy is gone!

i've also always really liked Kenny, and this episode solidifies him at the top of my list. He just seems very sweet and genuine (as was mentioned, this season's Right Reasons as opposed to the word of the day "disingenuous"). 

i also loved Josiah drinking out of his trophy and sloshing it onto his pants.

All the singing/dancing/rapping on the boat was fun, too. Although Peter is getting some major side-eye from me for saying Rachel is from "the hood." Wow.

As for Rachel's breakdown of it being hard and knowing what "they" (i.e., society) might say about her--case in point: assuming she's from "the hood" when I'm sure she's probably from some affluent suburb with a dad who's a judge! She also probably feels like she can't show any emotion over the guys fighting etc because then here comes the "angry black woman" stereotype. I totally get the pressure she's under. The show/the press is making a big deal out of her being the first person of color to lead (no, blonde-haired Juan Pablo does NOT count), and here she is now having that extra pressure to be "perfect" and break down prejudices, etc. 

Edited by JenE4
Can't forget about Kenny
  • Love 10

Will may SAY he reads 6 books a day, but don't we all know by now that the hamsters in the cage aren't allowed books, magazines, computers, phones, etc?  They have to talk, talk, talk.

I know, nitpicky.  But comments like that annoy me.  Will doesn't seem that brilliant, but maybe because he's been fairly well hidden thus far.  Definitely no sizzle. 

27 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Although Peter is getting some major side-eye from me for saying Rachel is from "the hood." Wow.

I've never done a 180 on a contestant as quickly as I have with Peter.  

Episode 2: loved him.   Tonight: can't stand him and "the hood" comment was a big ole WTF moment.   That goes to show you he hasn't even bothered to learn anything about Rachel.   Or is just totally clueless about life.

Oh well, I'll keep watching to see where Adam Jr appears (he looked great in the audience at the spelling bee) and for the upcoming travel porn.  

• Love 5