Type keyword(s) to search

2 Broke Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've never understood why Caroline couldn't find a better job than waiting tables at a greasy spoon in Williamsburg. Yes, the Channing name was like poison at the beginning of her "broke" life, but surely some office somewhere in any one of the boroughs would care more about her Wharton degree and Wall Street experience than what her last name is. And Max is too clever to be stuck doing what she's doing, although I'll grant that her laziness and inherently self-defeating nature might hinder her.

• Love 3

And five years later, I'm sure she can find a job now. I doubt all of Bernie Madoff's relatives are waiting tables.

Sadly, both his kids are dead. One hung himself because of the scandal and the other had cancer. His brother and niece were sued (as were the boys) and lost. BUT they were all working in Madoff's firm during the scandal whereas Carolyn would be mostly an innocent bystander. I watched a rerun of a Facts of Life episode recently that had Blair in a similar situation to Carolyn's, although since her mother had money it didn't impact her as much as it did Carolyn. (And now that I think about it I think something similar happened to Jackie Burkhoff on That 70's show). 

• Love 2

Don't they shake this show up every 7 episodes? I'd counter that they need to pick a lane and stick with it. Cupcake shop/French baking school/snotty restaurant/cupcake window/t-shirts/now Caroline has sold her life story so cut-rate Lucy and Ethel are off to Hollywood.

It's beyond ridiculous that the show that's all about trying to show women struggling to make a living is completely out of touch with reality.

That's my issue with the show. I just started watching it about 6 months ago in reruns and I was so damn confused. They had a different job in each episode and then the job was never heard of again. What happened to Sandra Bernhard and her pastry shop? What happened to the t-shirts?

I just couldn't figure out what the show was supposed to be.

Now I think I've seen all of the episodes in repeats and I still don't understand what its about.

It's sad too because it has a lot of potential. The 2 Girls have good chemistry as do the rest of the cast. I think all of the characters are funny in their own ways. It's an unpopular opinion around here but I love Sophie and Oleg. I'd watch a spin off with the 2 of them raising a baby.

• Love 1

That's my issue with the show. I just started watching it about 6 months ago in reruns and I was so damn confused. They had a different job in each episode and then the job was never heard of again. What happened to Sandra Bernhard and her pastry shop? What happened to the t-shirts?

I just couldn't figure out what the show was supposed to be.

Now I think I've seen all of the episodes in repeats and I still don't understand what its about.

It's sad too because it has a lot of potential. The 2 Girls have good chemistry as do the rest of the cast. I think all of the characters are funny in their own ways. It's an unpopular opinion around here but I love Sophie and Oleg. I'd watch a spin off with the 2 of them raising a baby.

I have the latest episode sitting on my DVR to watch. Every time I look at it as though I'm going to watch it, I don't because I really don't want to see Lucy & Ethel go to Hollywood. It just seems dumb.

The girls are great! That's why I keep watching... hope. They play off each other so well and I just WANT the show to be better than it is. Sophie and Oleg... I don't love them but I don't hate them. I don't want them to have a baby, though because I don't think that will be a good addition to this show. 

• Love 1

reminds me of the later years of Laverne & Shirley where the whole gang relocated to Hollywood.

#showingmyage

I loved those ones! #tooyoungtoknowbetter

Laverne and Shirley is a good comparison to this show, though. Two girls trying to make it in the big city on their own. One street smart one not so much. Their show jobs got a little muddy through the years too as the brewery sometimes shut down for various reasons and then when they moved to LA, they went through a few different jobs. 

• Love 1

Just wondering:  Is every other word out of Max's mouth a   'sexual innuendo ?

If not sex than drugs or a messed up childhood. I like Max but those are basically the only 3 topics she is capable of. 

• Love 1

The Hollywood shake up has actually worked out pretty well in my opinion. You went from a sentimental show with the story-telling, to some fresh takes. Plus you've got Max and Caroline primarily interacting with one-another.

The Diner-threesome of Han, Oleg and Earl kind of works well as this long distance Greek Chorus, and I'll say even Sophie didn't suck the oxygen out of the show this past week. Putting on the midwest persona for Price is Right? It worked.

I really hope we don't get a backslide out of this. If the show can find a way to march towards a finale that has the girls remaining in New York, but shedding the waitress jobs, it could be interesting. Get out of the Dial-a-Show formula.

• Love 2

While the episode was okay, and had Randy in it for a couple of scenes, I was unhappy on behalf of he other religions Sophie tried to hijack in order to be pregnant.  Also, how is Sophie's even more disdainful ( and now seemingly more hateful) dislike of Caroline funny? 

I am not Sophie's biggest fan, but she used to be good for more than hate for Caroline and (sometimes) really tiresome sex talk.  I caught a repeat of The Closer the other night and Jennifer Coolidge  was on as a perp. She was practically a Proto-Sophie.

Ed Quinn is delightful to see again! Can Max keep him?

I also like that after five seasons, the ladies still show their love and (momentary) anger at each other! They are truly best friends and I hope they are close to getting some lasting good. It doesn't have to be like winning the lottery or getting  business off the ground. Just something good. I still am rooting for them, even as I don't really watch the show regularly.

So I was lost at the end, will there be a movie or not? the last I've heard is Caroline rejected it because it doesn't have the Max character on it...

There was a small scene somewhere that indicated Caroline said she wouldn't do it unless Max was in it and they (the producers? the writers?) agreed.  I wonder how many more episodes the girls will be in Hollywood?

• Love 1

Jennifer Coolidge is 54 IRL. I'm going to assume her character is probably supposed to be about 10 years younger?

She can't be much more younger than that. She doesn't LOOK like she could be in her 30s. I'm disappointed they knocked her up. I don't want an Oleg and Sophie baby. I don't have good feelings about this. I was also bummed that Max's boyfriend broke up with her. I did love he did it in the most 'California' way possible. 

Sophie looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to old be be pregnant,

Jennifer Coolidge is turning 55 this year. Even if the show wants us to believe she's only in her 40s that is an age where her pregnancy is considered high risk because of her age. They can't possibly hope we think she's younger than 40. She just doesn't look it. 

The LA arc episodes were a shot of life into the series. Even back in the diner setting everyone seemed to have more energy.

But the damn pregnancy storyline is a fire burning that is soaking up so much oxygen from Max and Caroline. The LA episodes were good because it was the two of them interacting without having to kowtow to necessary one liners to Han and Oleg. There was at least a minimal amount of that in this episode, but if they backslide it's going to be bad.

I am not Sophie's biggest fan, but she used to be good for more than hate for Caroline and (sometimes) really tiresome sex talk. I caught a repeat of The Closer the other night and Jennifer Coolidge was on as a perp. She was practically a Proto-Sophie.

I don't mind Sophie's hate talk to and about Caroline because I don't like her either. All she does is bitch and complain about everything.

Does Caroline have a mom? I haven't seen every episode and haven't heard any mention of her mother.

Jennifer Coolidge is turning 55 this year. Even if the show wants us to believe she's only in her 40s that is an age where her pregnancy is considered high risk because of her age. They can't possibly hope we think she's younger than 40. She just doesn't look it. 

I keep waiting for the "it was all a dream!" or "this is just a pillow!" joke to come re: Sophie's pregnancy, because, look, she is just too old to be pregnant. She looks 55. There's not a thing wrong with being or looking 55, but it means you're too old to be pregnant. I know the show isn't meant to be taken seriously (that's why I watch it - it's definitely not a quality show but it's fluffy and entertaining), but this is a little much. I don't mind the character, although the "Hey everybody!" and laugh track is cheesy and annoying, but they should have given her something else to do.

So now that Caroline has $250K, why is she still working at the diner?

So now that Caroline has $250K, why is she still working at the diner?

And living in that apartment? 

They are very foolish to put all the money into the new cupcake bar. But I expect nothing less from this show.

That gushing blood gag was really cheap and gross. I did like that Randy pointed out that Max deserved better than to live in squalor; it seems like Max doesn't think she deserves anything. 

If Max ends up with Randy, she's no longer broke. Is the show ending?

• Love 3

The gushing blood was nasty and way over the top. I like Randy a little bit and he makes me miss Candy Andy - Andy and Randy would have gotten along great.

I'm already tired of hearing about the dessert bar and we're only like 3 episodes into that. Bleh.

• Love 1

Yup! I've stepped on a nail before (camping) and it didn't gush like that. I also didn't get prophylactic antibiotics, just the tetnus shot. Plus, they don't let you leave the hospital with an antibiotic drip. At least they didn't when my mother had an actual infection that caused her hand to swell up. 

I do love Max and Randy and I like that he is encouraging her that she is allowed to have more. I think for people who have spent much of their life beaten down it's hard to admit. Although I think that other guy, the one living in the dumpster who had fancy parents, could have done the same thing. I wonder when they will cancel this and if it will get a nice ending or a cancellation with no resolution to 'broke.'

I know where I live, in certain areas downtown you can drink alcohol in public, but can you do that in NYC? Otherwise, operating the dessert bar out of the window doesn't make sense. I thought the whole point was dessert and booze (a concept which I could totally support). 

• Love 2

I'm watching the first episode and I had forgotten the girls had pleasant voices. They're so shrill now.

I'm sick of Sophie too. I thought she was fine in the beginning but now she's just gross. I also cringe whenever she shows up because of the screaming cheers from the audience.

• Love 2

I'm sick of Sophie too. I thought she was fine in the beginning but now she's just gross. I also cringe whenever she shows up because of the screaming cheers from the audience.

Shouldn't that be "screaming" "cheers" from the "audience"?

• Love 1

This show occupies a similar headspace for me as "Cougar Town" did... the comedy is kind of broad and groan worthy, but the cast seems to be having so much fun that it elevates the show.  I don't feel good about myself watching it, but as a huge Kat Dennings fan, I just go with it. I was watching some of the older eps and can't get over how different Kat looks.

One weird thing about this show for me, as an LA resident... a lot of the jokes seem to be very LA-centric.  Like they'll make references to driving to certain gas stations that on the west coast, or restaurants... these girls shouldn't even be talking about driving that much, but the use of LA landmarks is weird....

I gave up about 6 episodes ago. Is it still the same lazy show as the last two seasons, or have they gone back to what made it good in the first two, i.e. the chemistry and growing love and trust between the two girls?

(edited)
On 4/8/2016 at 9:58 AM, joanne3482 said:

I don't think the show is at all trying to make us believe she's younger than that. When they first started the whole pregnancy storyline the rest of the characters were written as reacting as though it were extremely improbable she could become pregnant. Because this show trades in the sappy/completely improbable, of course they went the direction of "surprise, she is!" but even then, again the characters reacted very "WTF", as though they thought this had zero chance of happening. So I think we are expected to believe she is in her late 40s, potentially even early 50s, and this is the super-rare, high-risk pregnancy it would appear to be. I'm not saying it's a good plot. I think the jokes have all been super predictable and not very funny, and there has largely been no point in going down this road, but of the many things these writers are guilty of, I don't think pretending we think the character is not in the age bracket she's in is one of them. They seem to be owning how preposterous it is.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1