Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/18/2017 at 8:09 PM, suebee12 said:

I draw the line at her keeping things she finds in the houses.

To each her own.  She seems like a creative type who can see "art" in almost anything.  In most cases, we're all washable.  By the time they get to these renovations, anything "dry" is probably nothing to worry about.

I loved the decor at the end of the Victorian episode. Karen needs to be replaced. Anita Corsini can replace her. She's a great host and I would see the two getting along together.

It was a great idea they moved the poison ivy off the tree. I would agree with Tahitigirl about the trellis. The trellis was beautiful. I think they provided a lovely atmosphere for the client.

The house on Sanders tonight(how many houses on Sanders have they done now?) was gorgeous. I really questioned the wallpaper but it was actually kinda' nice and different! I am not a fan of velvet but the couch and chairs were pretty and they was used for staging anyway. Again, very tall cabinets in the kitchen but the man(and for that matter the woman) were both tall and he seemed to like them. I wish I had those high windows in the bedrooms...you have the light but  no one can see in..win, win. One question. Was the claw foot tub used. I admit I watch while I sew so I might have missed it. Will have to re-watch to check. That is one really big house but I think it would make a great family home. I liked the outside and porch and the little bit of purple was not bad...unlike last week when the whole house was PURPLE.  Last thought at least for now, I liked the floral "drawings" that they created were both pretty nice but would they shed?(At least there wasn't  hay on the wall....here's looking at you Hildi!

• Love 1

I liked how they took that mess of a house on Sanders and really fixed it. I don't understand the need for two masters in a family home. Also  everything seemed decorated to the max, especially the living room. Too many accessories. If I were designing my master bath I would have a large walk in shower instead of a tub shower. 

Two masters gives you the option for multi-generaltional living (grandma can have the main floor one and not have to climb stairs as much) or you can move downstairs when the kids are older to get away from them and give the upstairs master to any guests who visit. If the house is large enough, I say why not.

The only thing I am disliking about the show is the somewhat contrived "this person is interested in buying the house, so here is an early tour, and here is the finished tour, and oh, they didn't buy it" bit. I guess they must want a reason to show off the house at the end that is different than the typical open house scene and they lack the ability to do an "owner reveal" as Fixer Upper and Property Brothers do, but Nicole Curtis manages to show off her renovations without having randos walk through and disappear, so I think Good Bones could too and drop all that nonsense. If the person/people were going to buy the house, they would have bought it during construction and picked out the tiles and finishes they want--not wait until you are done and then say, Oh yeah, now we'll buy, but I just hate that tile, that paint color, etc.

2 hours ago, MaKaM said:

The only thing I am disliking about the show is the somewhat contrived "this person is interested in buying the house

I think this comes from the fact that the first houses we saw them renovate, they did have buyers for. Since they have a good reputation in Indianapolis there are probably folks wanting to buy a house from them. They do all of their work(except for daddy's house) in one area that is known as up and coming so young people seem attracted to their homes. I can take all the "fun" they seem to have because I really like how their houses turn out for the most part.

I am a few episodes behind, but I've seen at least two where their "potential buyer" doesn't actually buy it which is what makes me feel like the buyers were hired from central casting.

I don't know if they don't have Open Houses because they are trying to be different or because they aren't realtors. I'm not totally crazy about their design choices but I don't hate them either. I didn't care for the DIY moss project. Sometimes less is more. I did like the farm table though. That said, I don't like benches. I always feel like I'm leaning on the table which is bad manners. LOL!!!

I really want to like this show, but I can't stand Karen. She laughs too much. Her laughs/cackling sounds horrible. Replace her with either Joanna Gaines or Jonathan Scott.

The majority of houses have been done in Bates Hendricks. The decor was very nice, and I liked the openness of the house. It felt like a buyer would want to have that house.

I watched several of these so can't quite remember episodes or names, but does anyone remember the house they fixed up for a large family?

There was an iron mark on the carpet and a hot pizza box had been put on a dining room table (leaving marks) by a child, which Karen was going to redo.

They picked WHITE carpet, a WHITE couch, a WHITE bench.

I wonder how long that will last......

Another duplex...How many duplexes have they done this season??

I still can't stand Karen. She is way too irritating for me. I wonder how she thought squealing like a little child was okay?! During renovations? Really?

I really liked the decor in the house, especially the couches. That probably was a really tricky house. Cat poop everywhere.

I wonder how they find potential buyers that come with them to see the house, but they end up buying another house. I want a person that is interested in buying the house! I don't want somebody that wants to look at a house just to be nosy, or someone who is not interested in looking at houses. I want a BUYER! I want a REAL ESTATE AGENT! No more random people that work as brokers, just like they did in that awful Vegas flip show, or Brother vs Brother where they had a whole lot of people, too many people, exploring the house. No more pronunciation of "real-i-tor." We are house hunting! We're renovating houses! LOL!

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Mina! If it was just her doing the show I'd be completely happy.

I liked this house. Again, we have buyers who plan on buying this house but end up buying another house. Uggh!

I liked the kitchen. It gave a bit of hip to it. What I also liked was the stained wood that Karen stained. It was beautiful and also gave a bit of hip to it.

Did they go over budget? I wasn't really paying attention to the whole show, so that's a side effect. LOL.

I'm not liking this season how Mina is double stacking the kitchen upper cabinets.  Those uppers go so high that those top cabinets are useless, they are too high to reach easily with a step stool, they will most likely sit mostly empty.  

Edited by lucygoose
8 hours ago, lucygoose said:

I'm not liking this season how Mina is double stacking the kitchen upper cabinets.  Those uppers go so high that those top cabinets are useless, they are too high to reach easily with a step stool, they will most likely sit mostly empty.

yeah I have tall cabinets that go to the (normal, 8 foot) ceiling. A step stool (or my 6 foot son) can reach the top shelf. I can't imagine the usefulness of cabinets where you have to get a ladder from the garage!

• Love 1

Yeah, it's strange. Imagine a person living in that home, where they can't actually reach the cabinets. 

Karen is still annoying, after all. Her laugh sounds horrible, and she acts like a little child. 

• Love 2

I'm a kitchenware/gadget hoarder, so I really like the stacked cabinets.  In our current house, we have a cold-storage room in the basement, and that's where I keep all my extra stuff, but I'd love not to have to trudge downstairs to get something I need.  If you could build something like a library ladder into a renovated kitchen to make it easier to access items in those upper cabinets, that would be my ideal setup.  We also have very high ceilings, so I like anything that makes full use of the vertical space.

That last house really was essentially a teardown.  It seems they were paying for the land more than the actual house.  By the time they were done clearing out rotten wood and loose foundation bricks, there was very little left of the original structure.  Did they have two full bathrooms on the main floor and none upstairs?  That seems silly for a house that small. 

• Love 1

We've had cabinets all the way to the ceiling. I liked them for two reasons: No dust, grease on top of the cabinets and a place to store specialty dishes (Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July) and stuff I didn't use all of the time. I loved having the extra storage but had to use a step stool to access those cabs. That wasn't a problem once or twice a year unless my 6"7" SIL wasn't available-ha. 

• Love 3

It was cute little house. The blue chair totally blocked what entry way they had. Hopefully, the owners don't actually put a chair there. The kitchen was nicely done with the table. Granted, it was small but placed well. I looked up Cadet Blue because I never heard the paint color but it's used on all of the other renovation shows with the brass hardware. I can't recall if they used brass or not. The master was nicely done and looked rather big considering how small the house is. I did not care for the purple ombré in the bonus room. It didn't keep the integrity of the wood at all. It ruined it. The mother destroyed that wood. The deck & backyard were a great additional space they could be used. Overall, it's a great house for a single person, young married couple or even a retired couple. I like the show but could do without all the schtick and the mothers cackling. Just show the house renovation and leave all the other crap out. 

• Love 1

I disagree with their decision to make a double vanity from a 48 inch size. IMHO counter space is more important. And how often are two people going to be brushing their teeth at the same time? We have a double vanity but it's 100 inches long. So it's more of a his space/her space thing.

• Love 4

I don't believe that these homes are being renovated for buyers.  IMO, they are being renovated for tenants.  I believe the desire is for "gentrified" tenants.  Most of these homes seem to lack garages, so the stacked kitchen cabinetry would be for storage of anything that needs storing.  Have they ever shown the closet spaces?  I don't watch the show religiously.  It wouldn't surprise me if the closets are mostly small, reach-in ones, given the size of the properties.  The fences they build around the yards are probably primarily for security.  

I had to fast forward to the reveal because the mothers laugh grates on me to no end. The house was very small but cute. I liked what they did with the outdoor space. Some random young guy showed up at the end and supposedly bought it. Thank goodness this show is only a half hour long. Even with that it still has stupid filler which it could do without.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Thank goodness this show is only a half hour long. Even with that it still has stupid filler which it could do without.

Did they cut the length of it?  All the episodes I've seen have been a full hour--I think.  I have to go check the ones on my DVR that I haven't watched yet!

1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

Did they cut the length of it?  All the episodes I've seen have been a full hour--I think.  I have to go check the ones on my DVR that I haven't watched yet!

You know it might be an hour. For some reason, I thought it was a half hour but with the useless filler it must be an hour show. That said, I did fast forward to the end so I wasn't really paying attention. LOL!!

I thought maybe it just seemed longer!  This is one of those shows I'm not sure why I keep on watching.  They seem like nice people, but with the mother cackling at everything, the daughter's nasal vocal fry, and rooms that look like a Home Goods store threw up in them . . .  Might be time to pull the plug.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I thought maybe it just seemed longer!  This is one of those shows I'm not sure why I keep on watching.  They seem like nice people, but with the mother cackling at everything, the daughter's nasal vocal fry, and rooms that look like a Home Goods store threw up in them . . .  Might be time to pull the plug.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Ditto!

I like this show. I enjoy the mom, she seems like she'd be fun to hang out with. And I like the way they do their renovations. The final decor, I think is generally too much, but it's not like it is attached to the house. I also like their visits to local artists. And I usually hate that part of any show. I also want to visit the cat cafe and pet all the cats.

• Love 7

So for this tiny Fountain Square house: The concrete farmhouse sink stuck up above the counter by a good inch. Is that normal? I mean that seems nuts-- how do you sweep crap off the counter into the sink? It's just going to collect there at the edge.

I'm surprised that I don't dislike Mina--with the giant handbag at the coffee shop and the ubiquitous yoga pants. Maybe because she does actually seem to work and get dirty? 

The only time I've been upset is when they pulled out the bushes in front of the purple house, by the roots, and then put them in the dumpster. Couldn't they have been used somewhere else, especially since she pulled them out by the roots? Murder like that makes me sick. I also don't like seeing the bare foundation. They could've cut them back or moved them to the backyard. 

Edited by MissHavisham

I just discovered this show and I've only seen a few of season 2 on-demand. Any idea where I can see season 1? 

On 8/17/2017 at 5:20 AM, Simon47 said:

Yeah, it's strange. Imagine a person living in that home, where they can't actually reach the cabinets. 

Karen is still annoying, after all. Her laugh sounds horrible, and she acts like a little child. 

haha! I live in an apt where I can only reach the first shelf. I have to stand on a stepstool or spin the tray around to try and get thing out of the microwave. My ceilings are really high. This place is built for giants--or maybe just not for someone barely over 5'. 

I think the stacked cabinets to the ceiling look kind of cheap. I would use them for storage, I guess. I wonder how much one really tall cabinet would be and if it would be too heavy to hang. 

I just discovered this show and watched a few Season 2 eps on-demand. I'll have to try and find Season 1. I find this to be much less irritating than most HGTV shows. 

I think the staging clutter is just too, too much. I'm one of those weirdos that don't need furniture in a room (can't bring myself to call it a "space") to imagine it, though. I'm also a minimalist. Oh, re: the clawfoot tub. I think they were just going to hang onto it in their warehouse. 

• Love 2
On 8/17/2017 at 3:55 AM, dleighg said:

yeah I have tall cabinets that go to the (normal, 8 foot) ceiling. A step stool (or my 6 foot son) can reach the top shelf. I can't imagine the usefulness of cabinets where you have to get a ladder from the garage!

I love their tall cabinets.   If I were the designer, I'd add the perfect-height library that can be moved easily from cabinet to cabinet. (they're on wheels).  Fun AND efficient!

8 hours ago, Former Nun said:

If I were the designer, I'd add the perfect-height library that can be moved easily from cabinet to cabinet. (they're on wheels).  Fun AND efficient!

Personally that would drive me bonkers. It would *always* be directly in front of whatever cabinet I want to get into, plus it would take up valuable "aisle" space. 

• Love 2

I tend to like this show, but, it does annoy me how they regularly have a screw up that even a novice would be able to avoid.  Sort of silly to me.  Do they really feel they need that?  Maybe, they think it's funny or dramatic.  

On 6/16/2017 at 11:19 AM, TresGatos said:

I did not like how the handles the house/office/house conversion. I much preferred the charm of the original room shapes to the open concept they came up with and I thought the mirrored bits they did on the fireplace was awful. I would have liked to see what they did with the basement because it was such a horror show before.

I just caught that one.  Didn’t the mother like the existing floors which got ripped up?

it was ok, but the two door thing was annoying and a waste, and their style is pretty specific for a flip.

(edited)

I'm glad they're back  - I think HGTV messed up saying the season starts next week in the commercials.

BTW - what they do to a house... now that's demo day!

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/4/2018 at 12:47 AM, sheetmoss said:

I'm glad they're back  -

BTW - what they do to a house... now that's demo day!

Me, too. And that sure was a huge demo! I am sure glad we don't have "smell-o-vision" because smells and yukky things usually don't bother Karen and even she was a funny color of green from the smells. You would never catch me crawling under a house with all the spiders and "creepy crawlies" either....I am not that brave! What they do with those teeny houses is amazing and it seems as though they are much bigger than they are because the space is used wisely. Two things bothered me in this redo tho....the backyard wasn't a backyard when they finished, it was an outdoor living room and the bridal stuff that was on the second floor seemed out of place if that was going to be the daughter's space. All in all though, I really enjoy Good Bones.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1
(edited)

yes it's new; it has a whole new opening emphasizing that it's a new season. I watched it on the HGTV app (appleTV) and it is the "most recent" episode.

and as a total non sequitur I think Mina is adorable. I'm a straight woman (as is she) but if I played for the other team she would be my type.

and what's with that lumpy wall thing? So no photos/artwork or whatever else can be hung there? Seems very limiting to me. (I see they did add artwork; still think it's stupid0

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1

I'm a straight woman (as is she) but if I played for the other team she would be my type.

I've always been impressed with how these women have no fear of dirt and bugs and dead critters and don't mind getting--and being filmed--dirty. It would be funny to learn that they're coated with Vaseline and dusted with dirt just for the cameras and that they do no manual labor at all. Well, funny and heartbreaking. ?

Thought exterior of new build was a miss - had no character as opposed to what was torn down.. I  wish they would have used more windows across the front. and varied the siding w/maybe fishscale on the upper

Didn't care for open shelving in the kitchen either

I'm glad they're giving step bro/son a chance to grow and learn

Also, what do you want to bet mom/Karen went back to the old house and pulled out the treasures - esp the doll heads?

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 4

^agree with all your comments; you need to have really lovely dishware to make open shelves attractive :)

Also the house color *did* look slightly pink to me, especially close up when then walked toward the front. I don't think the husband was crazy!

• Love 1