Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Is this Jess Mina’s half sister or step-sister? They don’t look alike at all. Her chubby-cheeked baby was adorbs. BTW, my DVR is set to record new HHI episodes, and it has recorded several episodes labeled “new” which aren’t.

If they put in or take 3 seconds of film it can be called new. Kind of like medical patents.... 

• Love 1

I didn't quite understand how the garage relates to (presumably) the actual house on the lot. Is this meant to eventually be a rental unit for the owner of the house (and garage)? I assume the house on the lot is not yet redone? I agree that such a high ceiling on the public space is sort of silly. 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I couldn't help but think about things falling off those high shelves in Tad's new place.

CLEARLY not folks who have ever lived in earthquake country! But Tad can be a mini earthquake all on his own....

• LOL 3

I didn't like the stairs to Tad's place.   The stairs were fairly steep, way too narrow, and didn't have a handrail.   Also, why would anyone put chairs, and stuff in the loft area?    

Just trucks driving by, or the garage door going up and down, or any other vibrations will eventually result in the stuff on the open shelves in the loft going boom.   My guess is that that stuff was there for the show, and went bye-bye pretty quickly.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

and didn't have a handrail. 

That wouldn't pass code in my county. The house we are in now has a bonus room over the garage. The stairs didn't have a rail, which was a puzzle, but we had the seller install one. Turns out he got a permit to build the garage, but not the bonus room, and he never got the garage inspected to close out the permit. Mystery of the missing railing solved.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

I didn't quite understand how the garage relates to (presumably) the actual house on the lot. Is this meant to eventually be a rental unit for the owner of the house (and garage)? I assume the house on the lot is not yet redone? I agree that such a high ceiling on the public space is sort of silly. 

Mina said her company owns the home on the lot. I assumed it's under renovation or will be. I wonder what the eventual buyer's going to say about Tad living in the garage apartment. Mina: "I'm selling this house, but you have to keep renting out your garage to my half-brother. I'll give you $2,000 off asking price. Deal?"

I'm wondering about the timeline of when this was filmed. Karen had some pretty serious regrowth (gray "roots") in her hair and Mina was pregnant in parts of this episode. She's due next month, I think. But they're still working (obviously) and filming and working with vendors--the rail/shelving guys, Carlos who does the tile. I clearly know that most people still have to work during the pandemic, but it's gross to see a literal millionaire building from the ground a "garage apartment" for her little brother during a global health crisis. I mentioned several posts back that Two Chicks also opened a home furnishings store a couple months ago. I guess the entitlement and unabashed privilege is getting to me. I'm surprised Karen hadn't gone to some underground hair salon.

And one and a half baths in a one bedroom apartment is stupid.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

Is this meant to eventually be a rental unit for the owner of the house (and garage)?

This makes so much sense. I could not figure out how the new owner would handle the arrangement. Essentially the garage apt. is an income-generating opportunity, or what my neighborhood calls in-law apt., for whoever buys the home after renovation. Maybe they are renovating for a friend or family member and not disclosing that on the show? Tad could continue living there, or a nanny, or a college kid, or a couple (in which case two baths makes a lot of sense).

I didn't like that narrow little reading nook. But someone else may love it.

Edited by pasdetrois
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

It was two FULL baths!!!

You're right. I stand by it being stupid. For a small space, it could've been used for something else. Did the place have a laundry room/closet? I can't remember if it was part of the pantry.

I hated the loft.🤷‍♀️

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

So Jess's mother must be Cheryl, who died.     That's when Tad lived with Karen for a long time.     I love the entire family is so close, in spite of the multiple branches, and half siblings, step siblings, and everything else going on.     

Why do they clean the nasty fridges out, when they're going to the dump anyway?    And with the toilets, duct tape them shut, and dump them intact.   

• Love 2

I suspect the toilets, and fridges go to the bio-hazard part of the dump,  I don't think cleaning a fridge out after a few years with spoiled food is every going to qualify for the regular part of a landfill.    Maybe there's a construction waste side of the landfill too, for the big open demo dumpsters?  

Just watched Tad's Tiny House.

Mina stated that the main house is a rental property, so Tad will be one of two tenants; the other house isn't for sale. 

It's a good thing Carlos built that fold-down table. They acted as though it were an added extra, but it looked like the most comfortable place to eat as the sofa-coffee table situation isn't all that comfortable and climbing the stairs to use the table in the loft would require a lot of work and balancing to get food up there. 

I wonder if Tad gets to use the garage, too. Seems like sharing it with a stranger could be awkward; it looked like a double garage with just one door. 

I liked the place all right. The loft is nice extra space; I wonder how long it'll take before Tad sneaks in a roommate.

According to my guide, these shows have been shown out of sequence on YouTubeTV, so if you're finding these posts a little confusing, that could be why.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Rhetorica said:

Mina's brother, step brother, half brother, whatever, was so sweet with her when she told him she was "knocked up".

Half brother.  Same dad, different moms.  Tad is a fun part of the show.

• Love 3

Tad is Mina's half brother with Mina's dad, and Cheryl (spelling?) who was married to Mina's dad twice (I think twice).   After the divorce she married Lennie the contractor from Season 1.    When Cheryl died, Tad lived with Mina for quite a while, and calls her Mom.    I was so happy to see Tad happy for Mina and Steve. 

I'm not surprised the house tonight collapsed, but I'm surprised some of their other houses haven't collapsed too.   I'm glad it didn't collapse with someone in it, and I'm glad no one was hurt.    The after on that house was really nice, and I'm glad the sub bought it.   

Tad is so much fun on the show, and he's really grown into his role in the business.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I liked the “butterfly” (emerging from caterpillar) house. The backsplash tiles were nice because they had a raised feature and weren’t just subway tiles. When they showed the plans for the upstairs in the new design, I figured they were going to put a bathroom in the space next to the guest bedroom. Glad Tad pointed it out to Mina. Why put the hot water heater upstairs by a bedroom? Liked the tables Karen made with the corbels. Jack was adorbs with the butterflies!

• Love 2

Not to say it's not done, but I've never heard of a water heater being put on a second floor in a single-family home. There's a risk of it bursting/flooding, isn't there? I do realize wealthy people have more than one water heater and apartments have one water heater per unit, but still.

They said there were three bathrooms but it looked like they showed only two, and neither had a bathtub. And again with an 1800-square-foot house with a stacking washer-dryer. A house with three bedrooms (ostensibly that would fit a small family; I grew up w/two sisters and a mom in a 3BR house) needs a full laundry room! I stand by this! I am was single and have/had full-size laundry for 20 years. Now I share a home with my partner and we do he does so much laundry for his work clothes. Our apartment is only 800SF and we have a laundry/storage room. My last two apartments had louvered doors in front of the washer/dryer closet with shelves above.

I didn't hate this house otherwise, so that's something. It didn't blow me away or anything. I was sad the old house fell because I loved the "haunted house" layout from the outside. I actually liked Karen's Krafts this week, too. The tables actually had a purpose and were unique to the house. I wanted them for myself, not that I 1) could afford them were they for sale nor 2) have a place for them. They were charming without being too fussy.

The fact that two houses have fallen after they have done demo should tell them something, right? I'm not sure what, but something?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Not to say it's not done, but I've never heard of a water heater being put on a second floor in a single-family home. There's a risk of it bursting/flooding, isn't there?

yeah our water heater (in the unfinished part of the basement) failed and it made quite enough of a mess in the finished part-- ruined the carpet, ruined stuff in the closets it got to, etc.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

yeah our water heater (in the unfinished part of the basement) failed and it made quite enough of a mess in the finished part-- ruined the carpet, ruined stuff in the closets it got to, etc.

Same with washing machines. I know it's easier to have it right where the clothes are but I can't help but think about what would happen if something went wrong. Even just a somewhat mild overflow could be expensive. 

• Love 3

I live in a new subdivision of single story homes,   The duplexes have the water heater in the attic, with the heat pump.    My house (single family) has the heat pump in the attic, but the water heater in the garage.   Some of the older single story (they built a few on the street about 8 years ago) at the end of the street have the heat pump, and the hot water heater in the attic.    I wouldn't have bought a house with the water heater on the second floor or attic.    I wish they would have made the house about 5 ft longer, and made the garage that much deeper, and put the heat pump in the garage corner.   

I don't like washers on the second floor either, even with a pan and a drain.     I can only imagine how much more trouble it is to change out a water heater in an attic, instead of a first floor, or garage.      The attic access to the homes here are all with the pull down attic stairs, so replacing the attic water heater will be a pain.   

On this week's house, I would have put a mud room, combined with a laundry room on the back of the house, with the water heater in there.     Tad has really changed from the demo guy, to part of the business.  I'm guessing he's working on a contractor license.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Water heaters and washers on second or upper floors are supposed to fit into a large metal pan under them that drains into a drain.  I had my heater replaced in the last couple of years, and they put that in.  I don't think it's code, but it SHOULD be.  The only upside to a water heater going bad is that the water is clean, which is not necessarily the case for washers.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what happened to this show but I didn't have to fast forward through Tad and the finished house design had appropriate bedroom/bathroom/public space, including room for a real dining table.  I was floored that it seemed like a truly liveable home that I didn't hate.  If they do more like these I will be very happy.  And Karen's ridiculous project wasn't so stupid this time and although I didn't really like the finished shelves too much I could appreciate them and see how they fit the space and were useful and not just weird craft items.

Tad's emotion at hearing Mina was pregnant was really touching.

• Love 1

I guess this is the season finale?    I don't like the idea of putting the kitchen/dining living on the top floor, then two bedrooms, and bath on the first floor.   I don't like the idea that visitors have to hike upstairs to the main spaces,    I like the front facing garage (I don't love front garages, but in snow country I want a garage), but you'll have to haul all of the groceries upstairs.    I guess their reasoning for putting the daily living parts upstairs is so they'll have a view over the garage area.      I don't like the ombre stair steps.    I have one quibble, with a garage with window in the door, I prefer a while film or something, it lets light through, but people can't peer in to see if you're home or not.      So a downstairs living area on the back, and upstairs is the living, and dining?    That way they get a view over the garage.  

It's so cute seeing Mina, and Hannah, the home buyer (I hope I got the name right) both so pregnant.    I like the kitchen finishes with the gold, because everything matches.  

The gender reveal was just to get interest in looking at her Instagram, where the real name, gender, and baby picture is coming on 16 September, and following her other social media.   

The show's been renewed for next season (#6), so it's all to bring more attention to the online presence, and the physical, and online store too.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I wouldn’t want glass-paned doors on my closets. One of the reasons for closet doors is to be able to throw 💩 in the closet so nobody will see it. 😆 I loved the rooster on the leash. So cute. What was the point of showing the gender reveal 💩 without showing the reveal? BTW, one of the CA wildfires resulted from some morons using pyrotechnics at a gender reveal. 😡

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4

To me this house reminded me a little too much of Mina's own house - it looks massive on the lot and rather blank-faced (I hate front facing garages for one thing although I understand why it had to be that way - and I do love a garage!).  I guess that is the problem of building in a urban neighborhood - houses used to be smaller on decent-sized lots but that's not why today's buyers want in these up and coming neighborhoods.  I guess it also cuts down on mowing the grass!

• Love 1

Mina is due pretty soon. Still, I don't see the point of showing the reveal and not actually seeing the reveal.  

She showed some parts of the nursery on Instagram.  Based on what I saw it looks more feminine, so I am guessing Charlie is a girl.  

The house was fine, but I am also not a fan of the main living spaces being upstairs.  But if they wanted a garage and the lot is narrow I guess their options were limited.  I did really like those appliances.

• Love 1

Yes, the family room on the first floor, back was nothing more than a huge bar area.   Unless you want to haul food and drink down from the kitchen.    I really didn't like the Ombre stair treads either (I know I said that before, but I really dislike Ombre anything).      I didn't like the clear door to the closets either.  

• Love 2

As part of the closing I would request that the stair treads be painted all one color - preferably white.  I did like that mural though (for a baby's room - not a mural fan otherwise) and I didn't think I would.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yes, I liked the nursery mural.     I would have painted the stairs myself, the second the camera left.    I hope Mina, and Karen don't get insulted with buyers doing that, because they are both neighbors of that house.     

They did stop filming, and working through a lot of the spring, and have apparently restarted.    The baby's picture, name, and gender is supposed to be revealed on 16 September.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Honestly the stairs did not bother me much.  It was a very subtle ombre.  And that is something easy enough to change. 

It was a lot less offensive than the distressed wallpaper or the caged staircase.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Mina is due pretty soon. Still, I don't see the point of showing the reveal and not actually seeing the reveal.  

She showed some parts of the nursery on Instagram.  Based on what I saw it looks more feminine, so I am guessing Charlie is a girl.  

The house was fine, but I am also not a fan of the main living spaces being upstairs.  But if they wanted a garage and the lot is narrow I guess their options were limited.  I did really like those appliances.

I also am guessing Charlie is a girl (and thought the timing of the gender reveal party was unfortunate).

I'm guessing the reason for the main living upstairs is more windows, in addition to more views. I'm fine with it.  I lived in a 4th floor walk up condo for years, so don't think one flight of stairs is an issue, and have lived in Chicago (with the unattached garage on the back alley) long enough that the front garage seems weird in a similar house. I grew up in a front garage split level but the floorplan of the house was quite different.

Other comments: I thought they were saying the place was quite large, not small, and still don't get why their places don't have basements.  The living space/dry bar area would be common here (Chicago) on a smaller lot (standard is 125x25), but in the basement (my basement has an entertainment center/additional living area, since I hate TVs in the formal living room, plus storage room, plus exercise area, plus washer and dryer and sink).  I looked it up and I guess an issue is flooding, but that's an issue here too and people just have sump pumps (I guess I now live in one of the few areas of Chicago where basement flooding is not an issue). One big upgrade in houses in my area (originally tiny workers cottages) is finishing the basement, as well as creating a real second floor.

Re Mina being due pretty soon, I guess they've managed to keep filming throughout coronavirus.

• Love 1

A developer tore down a 90-year-old house across from me, and filled in the basement. Said buyers are tuned into the fact that much of northern VA has springs running underground, and the heavy rains of the recent couple of years have scared buyers away. I have french drains and a sump pump, but over time those can fail. And they aren't cheap to install.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

A developer tore down a 90-year-old house across from me, and filled in the basement. Said buyers are tuned into the fact that much of northern VA has springs running underground, and the heavy rains of the recent couple of years have scared buyers away. I have french drains and a sump pump, but over time those can fail. And they aren't cheap to install.

The neighborhoods Good Bones builds in aren’t on a flood plain, so I imagine it has more to do with grandfathering original foundations so that they can avoid newer codes and other cost cutting measures. The Northern Virginia market is a much different beast, and you can generally tell if a tear down house is on a floodplain based on how many days it’s been on the market without a developer snatching it up. When you’re spending $500k+ on the land alone, and the land is less than a quarter acre, you need the basement to up the square footage and justify the million dollar price tag. Windy City Rehab is a more comparable market (issues with Alison Victoria’s work aside...) and they almost always dig out a basement. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2