Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I believe there was a short hallway in the back with the bedroom on one side and the bathroom across from it.

We don't usually see much of the neighborhood around the flipped property, but the nearby houses on the recent episode looked fairly nice and well kept. There seemed to be a park or open space across the street. I always wonder if "up and coming" just means "primarily minorities." 

7 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I heard that too and then I saw the guy doing it.  😮

Maybe the  'we'll', was using one of their workmen instead of contracting it out?

I think they were using “we” like homeowners do on HH when they say, “We can just refinish the hardwoods, right?” 

If they wanted to save money on the condo redo, then don't do part copper roof, and gutters/downspouts, but have it match the regular roof, and use seamless aluminum gutters and downspouts.  .    Don't do wallpaper that makes the space look smaller, and is going to narrow the buying pool.   At least they painted the walls white, and used light gray cabinets.    To make the dining room look like you can use it for more seating, then put a narrow table with four chairs, not the round one.    I liked the tall upper cabinets.  The kitchen back splash was nice.   I liked the bathroom.   

I think renting the condo unit was a good move, and Mina's right, the price will only go up as they redo the other condo units, and the neighborhood improves.  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If they wanted to save money on the condo redo, then don't do part copper roof, and gutters/downspouts

Hell yes! The only copper roof I'm familiar is on my fabulously rich corporate CEO cousin on his 20k sq foot house!!!! And I agree about the very loud wallpaper.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I always crack up when prospective buyers gush about the furniture. Ya know you don't get that stuff, right?

Back when--60's, my mom's  hobby was touring model home just to see the decorating.

(edited)
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If they wanted to save money on the condo redo, then don't do part copper roof, and gutters/downspouts, but have it match the regular roof, and use seamless aluminum gutters and downspouts.  .    Don't do wallpaper that makes the space look smaller, and is going to narrow the buying pool.   At least they painted the walls white, and used light gray cabinets.    To make the dining room look like you can use it for more seating, then put a narrow table with four chairs, not the round one.    I liked the tall upper cabinets.  The kitchen back splash was nice.   I liked the bathroom.   

I think renting the condo unit was a good move, and Mina's right, the price will only go up as they redo the other condo units, and the neighborhood improves.  

I'm thinking Mina used the copper as a subtle way to help jump start the block's gentrification because clearly it's an upscale touch.

Same for the on trend banana leaf wallpaper.

Edited by sheetmoss
14 hours ago, 2727 said:

I started choke-laughing when Karen got stuck in the heater vent. Girl's got some serious back tattoos!

Karen and Mina: "We'll refinish the floors; that's within our expertise level and it'll save some money." Flash to someone else refinishing the floors. Best intentions go astray, ladies!

OMG! Karen is a hoot! No way would I even attempt such a thing.  For an ahem older woman, she's got some serious ink!

I liked a lot of what they did with this 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo, especially adding the French doors in the dining room. Some things I did not like were: the green bathroom floor tile, the banana leaf wallpaper accent and  was iffy on all of the gold fixtures. I often think they stage their homes with too much...too much furniture and too many tzotches.  I also don't understand why they double stack the kitchen cupboards EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Are the ceilings that damn high that they can't just put those extra long cabinets up and trim it out with a nice molding above? Who would be tall enough to access them?  You'd need a step stool for sure and as I age my balance is not as good as it once was. I'd have to store once a year things in those high uppers.  And my other nit pick was their painting the exterior brick façade. I've never been a fan of painted brick. Why give yourself more work down the line as it would have to be repainted every couple of years.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, 2727 said:

I started choke-laughing when Karen got stuck in the heater vent. Girl's got some serious back tattoos!

Karen and Mina: "We'll refinish the floors; that's within our expertise level and it'll save some money." Flash to someone else refinishing the floors. Best intentions go astray, ladies!

I read a recent interview with Karen and when asked what would surprise most people about her she responded that she had a tattoo that started at her neck and covered her back to the middle of her thighs.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2019 at 10:55 AM, 2727 said:

Painting kitchen cabinets is not "easy" Mina: prepping/sanding, taping, covering the entire kitchen in plastic. Don't forget buying or renting a paint sprayer and respirator.

The painting itself IS easy, it's the prep work that you mentioned that is what makes it real work. 

• Love 1
On 7/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I didn't like the dark green cabinets in the kitchen, especially with dark granite.   

A lighter cabinet, even a lighter green or gray, and a lighter granite would be much lighter and brighter.   Also, porcelain tile for the master bath floor would have required less maintenance, and looked much cleaner.   The wall cabinets with the butcher block counter looked so much better than the dark granite island. 

I loved the green cabinets. I'm sooooo tired of white/grey or greyish blue/green. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Some things I did not like were: the green bathroom floor tile, the banana leaf wallpaper accent and  was iffy on all of the gold fixtures.  I also don't understand why they double stack the kitchen cupboards EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Are the ceilings that damn high that they can't just put those extra long cabinets up and trim it out with a nice molding above? Who would be tall enough to access them?  You'd need a step stool for sure and as I age my balance is not as good as it once was. I'd have to store once a year things in those high uppers.  

I loved the green floors. It's nice to finally see some pops of colour in these houses, because IMO white and grey are not colours. I can't stand when people see a white/grey place and say "I love the colour." 

The taller cupboards are so people have enough storage and don't miss not having a pantry. 

I don't understand why they demolished the interior plaster-lathed walls that weren't going to be moved. I just can't see how it's better to destroy superior craftsmanship and replace it with cheaply made materials. Them tearing out the old wood window framing and sills was heart wrenching, too. They kept—and freaking spray painted—one door. Destruction of architectural history under the guise of "transition" is also gentrification.

As usual, the light fixtures were HIDEOUS.

• Love 4
(edited)

Agree that they didn't have to tear down all of that lovely old lathe and plaster. I have fought to keep mine in a couple of homes (learned to repair it myself), with many a contractor assuming I want to cover it up with boring drywall. And why didn't they save the old doors? Maybe they were warped or didn't close properly? Karen raves about the old stuff but they don't keep it.

Also weird to make the bathroom access only through the bedroom. I think they did that so they can advertise the unit as having an ensuite bath. It's all about the sales buzz words and trends.

These two always jam their properties with too much stuff. It's puzzling because Realtors tell clients to keep their furnishings simple and to de-clutter when putting a home on the market.

I liked the green tile floors and had a flashback to 80s glossy green tile on kitchen countertops.

Mina's pregnancies are murder on continuity. She goes from flat to round to holding a baby in one episode.

Edited by pasdetrois
33 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Mina's pregnancies are murder on continuity. She goes from flat to round to holding a baby in one episode.

This made me laugh. At least I can gauge the timeline to see that they've now done nine homes (not counting Mina's) in roughly 10 months. That's a lot!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 1:02 AM, bilgistic said:

I don't understand why they demolished the interior plaster-lathed walls that weren't going to be moved. I just can't see how it's better to destroy superior craftsmanship and replace it with cheaply made materials. Them tearing out the old wood window framing and sills was heart wrenching, too. They kept—and freaking spray painted—one door. Destruction of architectural history under the guise of "transition" is also gentrification.

As usual, the light fixtures were HIDEOUS.

By taking everything down to the studs you can really see any structural issues like rot, water/insect/pest damage. It's also easier to rewire/plumbing - plus adding insulation.

How many times have we seen on these shows where knob & tube wiring/junction boxes were covered  up or support joists being hacked away for plumbing? Even a home inspection wouldn't uncover issues behind the walls.

As a a buyer, I would appreciate the peace of mind  knowing nothing is lurking behind the walls.

I would imagine  the wood trim/casing were probably saved.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, sheetmoss said:

By taking everything down to the studs you can really see any structural issues like rot, water/insect/pest damage. It's also easier to rewire/plumbing - plus adding insulation.

How many times have we seen on these shows where knob & tube wiring/junction boxes were covered  up or support joists being hacked away for plumbing? Even a home inspection wouldn't uncover issues behind the walls.

As a a buyer, I would appreciate the peace of mind  knowing nothing is lurking behind the walls.

I would imagine  the wood trim/casing were probably saved.

This. I know they don’t say it, but I’m pretty sure they have to replace ALL of the mechanicals in most of the houses they rehab. While I’m sure Karen, especially, would love to keep the lathe and plaster, most of these houses have been so neglected that they’ve got to go to the studs. 

Edited by irisheyes
I got a little comma crazy.
  • Love 3
(edited)

Very true about the wiring. Modern homes want lots of outlets for many devices, fancy appliances, etc. No way to add all that wiring without removing the plaster.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Very true about the wiring. Modern homes want lots of outlets for many devices, fancy appliances, etc. No wire to add all that wiring without removing the plaster.

Word. (Former owner of bungalow built in 1910. Had to have wiring updated when I bought it c. 1990. Fortunately found an electrician who was a genius at running conduit discreetly along exterior walls, and an artist at placing/painting boxes for outlets on said walls. Not to mention getting conduit through interior lathe and plaster walls.)

Based on my experience (see above) I have absolutely zero nostalgia for lathe and plaster walls and appreciate that Mina and Karen start fresh with the framing and wall buildouts in their renos. I'm still scratching my head over that sloping floor in the recent episode because as I mentioned above, they usually get the foundation taken care of right at the start. 

• Love 1

First off, I could not believe they got that condo for 30k and it was in such good shape.   I see others posting about the practicality of demo for rewiring or other practical things but I thought it looked great and I was hoping they'd keep all the wood trim as is because I love it.     I'd have probably done the floors, roof any needed upgrades to mechanical, and the bathroom and kitchen and call it done.    It turned out cute with all they did--but what is it this year with things not selling?   I also thought the outside looked beautiful painted and with the copper roof.   

I've read Mina is trying for another baby, plus they''re doing some HGTV things as experts--I wonder if they're gently trying to bring the younger daughter Kelsey in to help fill a void in the future.

2 hours ago, car54 said:

I've read Mina is trying for another baby, plus they''re doing some HGTV things as experts--I wonder if they're gently trying to bring the younger daughter Kelsey in to help fill a void in the future.

My hypothesis, based mostly on programming commercials, is that HGTV is going full-on “Girl Power!” lately.  Not sure if the HGTV higher-ups got a clue from the #TimesUp #MeToo movements, or Hillary’s post election speech, or if they just realized that most of their audience consists of women, #viewership #advertising$$$

Regarding “all the stuff/decor”, I’m of the opinion that HGTV wants them (general for all the shows) to use advertising partners items (Wayfair dot com!) and there may be a desire to feature local merchants for “flavor”, but I’ve never researched it.  I’m just crazily guessing over here.

• Love 1

Not a fan of the color of the kitchen back splash in last night's episode (Big Money in Fountain Square).  Why beige?  Was it leftover from another job?  The cabinet color was okay but the back splash was ugly and if I'm spending $450k + on a house, I don't want butcher block counters and original builder's grade switch & outlet plates.   Also, who wants skimpy unsafe ladders to a loft?   Another show did this  - I think it was the Flip or Flop Vegas peeps - and that house didn't sell either. 

• Love 4
(edited)
52 minutes ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Not a fan of the color of the kitchen back splash in last night's episode (Big Money in Fountain Square).  Why beige?  Was it leftover from another job?  The cabinet color was okay but the back splash was ugly and if I'm spending $450k + on a house, I don't want butcher block counters and original builder's grade switch & outlet plates.   Also, who wants skimpy unsafe ladders to a loft?   Another show did this  - I think it was the Flip or Flop Vegas peeps - and that house didn't sell either. 

I think I'm about over this show. I've got the DVR recording all new episodes and haven't queued up this one to watch yet. Last night while it was on live, I tuned in for a few minutes. I watched Mina and Karen fuss over cabinet color and whether to paint/stain the butcher block countertops. In a half-million dollar house, FFS.

I'm finding their discussions to be yawnfests, and I was *not* charmed by Karen's draping super-fugly plaid fabric over Mina and herself because she was going to create her Super-Meaningful-to-This-House Artsy Project™ by covering a rocking chair with it. Also, yawn.

And, yes, butcher block? Really? Mina doesn't seem to have any options for countertops between high-cost Carerra marble and cheap* butcher block. Sheesh. What about quartz? Not cheap but not crazy expensive, comes in colors that look like natural stone, and is crazy durable. 

*TBH I don't care what it really costs, IMO butcher block makes a statement: "we'd be ashamed to go flat-out cheap with laminate so we're doing this also cheap 'natural wood' thing that will be a constant PITA to maintain."

I think I can predict this episode before I hit "watch" on the DVR. Walk-through, silly demo antics minus any protective gear, crisis over countertops and cabinets, potential buyers, enthusiastic reveal of over-furnished home to faux potential buyers, final update as to whether they've sold it yet.

ETA: Oh, and how could I forget? Strange fugly "art project" from Karen. Apparently a chair this time based on the few minutes I watched last night. At least a chair won't, I hope, imprison live fish in macrame wall hangings.

Edited by Jeeves
I forgot the Incredibly Meaningful Special Art Project thing
  • Love 4

Renovation shows always start out fun and then I slowly lose interest as the flippers settle into the same style and use their standby materials over and over. Which is good business practice but not so interesting to watch.

Kitchen finishes become even more crucial with open concept floor plans. While I didn't mind the blue in and of itself, there was a lot of it. At least break up the upper and lower cabinet colors, or insert some white cabinets in with the blue. I'm also tired of the stacking; either buy standard tall cabinets or don't bother.

I agree about the ugly backsplash color that didn't coordinate with anything, as well as the bad-decision butcher block. Subway tiles can also bite me! This was one of Two Chicks' most expensive flips and now they decide to cheap out?? Both drawer pull choices were subpar, if you ask me. Maybe Mina and Karen could save money by not paying yet another family member to do the books?

The front porch columns looked too skinny and insignificant, which they usually tear out on existing houses.

Oh, and Mina's vocal fry is getting on my nerves.

On a kinder note, Jack is adorable.

• Love 3
(edited)

For almost a half a million dollars, I do not want a generic back splash tile that looks like it was on final clearance at the big box store, or wooden counter tops that were a big fail.     That would be the kitchen to go for quartz with a marble look, and a decent gray veining, and the cabinets should have been more gray.      If they would have put a different back splash (like the tiles fish scales from the other house), white marble look quartz, and still use the Carrara knobs (or brushed nickel) it would have looked more cohesive.    I think that if they had made better finishes in the kitchen, they could have raised the price a lot.    The kitchen just looked unfinished, and cheap.    Also, I hated the leather straps on the book shelves.    I think the ladder to the loft looked wobbly, and dangerous.     

Using the same finish material in the kitchen would have been so much better, instead of Carrara, brushed nickel, and the wooden counter tops.     Also, 'transitional' or 'up and coming' neighborhood doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the home prices, and if I want to live there.    That house was a lot out of my price range, but I wouldn't buy it even if I could.   At least the bigger houses they've redone had attached garages.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

As much as I like this show(and some of  the silliness which is still way less than Fixer Upper!) I wish that instead of "decorating" the rooms,  they would just stage them with "normal" furniture so that the folks looking could see what the room can hold. Give them an idea and then let the rooms speak for themselves. I know this will never happen but to me it would be so much better than the over-done rooms with too much furniture in them. (and some of Karen's rather strange additions).

• Love 8
(edited)

In my mind I can't even contemplate why you would want to paint those lovely wood cabinets.

And in our house we mostly use the tub as a place to sit on the surround to put our socks on, LOL. Doesn't work so well with a free-standing tub!

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Also, who wants skimpy unsafe ladders to a loft? 

seriously. I'm still in my 50s but would seriously have issues with climbing that without worrying about my safety.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2

I think because they are doing so many houses I think they they are not thinking through designs. I agree that ladder didn't look sturdy. 

I'm also wondering whether with all the sheets of tumbled marble they've used, could they have used some leftover hexagonal pieces to make knobs.

Sadly a lot Karen's projects have been misses.  I still dream of using the metal grates as failing one of these years.  

(edited)

Agree about the unfinished porch railing, the back splash, dangerous railing and leather shelves.

Karen in the wolf hat and paws - well I was just embarrassed for her. Does HGTV think every show like this needs its own silly version of Skip Gaines?

I like this show. I will usually watch anything other than Fixer Upper which it seems runs 20 hours a day. 

Edited by rocketinu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, rocketinu said:

Agree about the unfinished porch railing, the back splash, dangerous railing and leather shelves.

Karen in the wolf hat and paws - well I was just embarrassed for her. Does HGTV think every show like this needs its own silly version of Chip Gaines?

I like this show. I will usually watch anything other than Fixer Upper which it seems runs 20 hours a day. 

The butcherblock countertops looked cheap, the porch looked unfinished, that ladder was horrible and the leather hanging shelves looked just as un-sturdy as the ladder. Definitely not one of their better ones, especially for the price point they kept going on about. Also, I'm sick to death of their single floorplan. All they do is walk into a living room then a have a kitchen right there. That's it. 

• Love 2

Many of the developers whose homes I've toured do the same thing. They re-use a standard set of designs and finishes because it saves them time and therefore money.

I wonder if the house wasn't 100% finished but they had to shoot the reveal based on the show's production schedule? That unfinished porch shocked me. As did the butcher block countertops in an expensive home.

What if someone doesn't like blue?

The mis-matched cabinet handles were weird.

Mina said that they could sell the house for much more than her original $450K estimate, then at the end I think she said they listed it for $455K.

But the baby is precious.

Women of reality TV: get rid of the scratchy-voice vocal fry.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Women of reality TV: get rid of the scratchy-voice vocal fry.

I've also noticed it on youngish women reporters or interviewees on NPR. It's so unappealing.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, dleighg said:

I've also noticed it on youngish women reporters or interviewees on NPR. It's so unappealing.

I am still not hearing what people are complaining about. Not every woman has a sweet, high, melodious voice all the time.  I certainly don't, but I'm not speaking a certain way on purpose. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, rocketinu said:

Karen in the wolf hat and paws - well I was just embarrassed for her. Does HGTV think every show like this needs its own silly version of Skip Gaines?

You can't paint new pressure treated wood, the paint won't take. Probably that is why it was unfinished--they are moving too fast on the flips for it to cure enough to be painted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, MaKaM said:

You can't paint new pressure treated wood, the paint won't take. Probably that is why it was unfinished--they are moving too fast on the flips for it to cure enough to be painted.

I think that on THIS house the time pressure was for getting it on the show. They only showed to realtors, instead of prospective buyers, so the house wasn't on the market. Now they might just leave the wood unpainted, but with this flip I felt that things were going to be finished before they actually put the house up for sale.

I feel like the last few houses are all alike to me.     Not sure if it is because all these places near each other are similar or if they just ARE kind of similar.

Once again, I know they made a second sitting room upstairs but it felt like the open living room/kitchen felt smooshed together too much for the number of people who could live in that many bedrooms.

And I hope they have kids because there is no freaking way I'd climb that straight up ladder to that second loft space.

Blue cabinets must be the trend, I feel like I'm seeing them a lot but I kind of hated them with the butcher block counters and that backsplash looked really random and dingy.    And no to the marble cabinet handles mixed with the cup handles on the drawers, I'd have picked a metal knob that coordinated.   

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Baby Jack has a really flat back of head.

If you go to Instagram, you will see that he has been wearing a corrective helmet to reshape his head.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, 2727 said:

Renovation shows always start out fun and then I slowly lose interest as the flippers settle into the same style and use their standby materials over and over. Which is good business practice but not so interesting to watch.

I agree, this is what's happening with me and this show now. I'm not even sure I'm interested enough to watch last night's episode which is recorded on my DVR. 

Over the past week or so, I've binge-watched On Demand, the show "Hidden Potential," which I hadn't watched until quite lately. Although I'm used to the designer's style and favored materials by now, I'm not quite over it yet. Maybe because she doesn't use Carerra marble countertops, and uses really lovely quartz countertops instead. Yeah, I'm shallow. 🤣

• Love 2

Last night I started shouting "No, no, no!" the second they showed the leather handle straps in the teaser. Although I would enjoy visiting the leather shop, it does look cool. But how do you clean those? What happens when something dribbles all over one of them?

I've enjoyed the color schemes and designs more this season than in the past, but this episode was a head-scratcher for me. I know I'm not young or edgy or cool, but I hate the exposed ducts. All I can think is that whoever buys the place is going to have to encase those someday. I also had a strong aversion to the horizontal railings on the front porch - it looks unfinished somehow to my eyes. The biggest miss was not finding space for a half bath on the first floor. They kept saying that this place was meant for entertaining. So you're entertaining a ton of people, and you want them to all troop upstairs to the bedroom space to use the bathroom? I didn't get it.

I do love this show, though. Mina and Karen have really grown on me. They're like your former weird neighbors that you only get to see occasionally now. They still make you laugh, but you're glad they don't actually live next to you anymore. I enjoy trying to keep track of their convoluted family tree. Baby Jack is adorable, almost as cute as my two grandsons.

As a fellow Hoosier, I really want to visit Indy and drive past some of these renovations to see for myself how they look. Road trip!

• Love 4