Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think I may be done with this show.  I simply can’t stand watching them tear out cool period details and architecture features for some bland open concept bs.  

Victorian houses with open concept interiors is a ridiculous concept.  The purple monstrosity lost all of its original charm.  Pocket doors, columns, lead glass windows - gone.   If that was my grandparents’ home that I grew up in, I’d be horrified.  

I vote NO. 

• Love 4

Dang, Karen. Can we talk about that denim kilt and boots ...

I thought it was pretty bogus that the building permit changed just because much of the exterior framing needed to be replaced. I get the difference between older structures being grandfathered in versus meeting code for new construction, but it just seemed like a very arbitrary ruling. I'm also a little surprised they haven't run into that before since their usual purchases are falling apart.

From what we saw of the neighborhood, the other houses weren't brightly painted and the purple stood out in a bad way. I also wished Mina had spent some money on custom casings for the front door because that standard builder's vinyl looked out of place.

It was sweet that the former residents reached out to Two Chicks to save the house. I hope her family was able to repurchase it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I thought they saved the columns, and then the next thing I saw, they were gone.  Why did they have to take those down?

During the final tour, Mina said they couldn't use them, but didn't say why.

• Love 1

Dang, Karen. Can we talk about that denim kilt and boots ...

She has worn the kilt on camera quite a few times.  I did notice that she has what appears to be a large tattoo across the top of her back.  The edges were peeking out of each side of her sleeveless shirt.  For some reason that surprised me.  Not sure why, lots of people of all ages have tattoos these days.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was horrified at the vinyl flooring. They say they want to save these homes, but when they say "save" do they mean restore or just make livable? From what I've seen, there really isn't much restoring involved, just tearing down and rebuilding to modern liking. I 100% understand the need to update, but not to throw out everything that made the home interesting in the first place.  

And I'm really tired of being able to see the kitchen from the front door. I may be the only person left on the planet that has zero interest in seeing your kitchen or having you see mine. 

In other news, I loved the painting of the woman in the hoopskirt in the poltergeist episode. According to the 2 chicks website the artist is Kyle Ragsdale, but it wasn't listed on his site.

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

She has worn the kilt on camera quite a few times.  I did notice that she has what appears to be a large tattoo across the top of her back.  The edges were peeking out of each side of her sleeveless shirt.  For some reason that surprised me.  Not sure why, lots of people of all ages have tattoos these days.

It's much bigger than that. From Marketplace Event's page:

Q: What’s one thing we wouldn’t guess about you? 
Karen: "Most people are surprised to find that I have a tattoo that goes from the nape of my neck, covers my back, and extends down the backs of my thighs." 

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow.  Thanks, bilgistic ! 

I never would have imagined that in a million years. I would love to hear the story behind that decision.

Whenever I see someone with a large tattoo my first instinct is to wonder how much it must have hurt. 

ESPN Magazine has its Body Issue out this week.  One of the athletes featured is a Swedish soccer star.  He has a tattoo similar in size to the one Karen mentioned.  Now I am picturing her with a large snarling lion's head and Polynesian tribal tattoos...

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Whenever I see someone with a large tattoo my first instinct is to wonder how much it must have ...

I thought you were going to say "cost"! Those big ones are thousands or even tens of thousands if it's a well known artist. Jeez.

I appreciated that Karen tried to recreate those original embossed wall decorations, but that was doomed to fail. I can't even imagine how twine was formed into those intricate designs in the first place. Maybe a small section of anaglypta or lincrusta wallpaper would have worked?

l see HGTV is gifting us with another husband and wife flip duo. In Palm Springs this time! Get ready for freaking midcentury modern week after week. (Not that I won't watch.)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, 2727 said:

see HGTV is gifting us with another husband and wife flip duo. In Palm Springs this time! Get ready for freaking midcentury modern week after week. (Not that I won't watch.)

I've already seen a couple in Palm Springs flipping houses. Is this a different show?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I've already seen a couple in Palm Springs flipping houses. Is this a different show?

You're right, it is the second season of Desert Flippers; I thought it was new. Guess I need to catch up!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 2727 said:

I thought you were going to say "cost"! Those big ones are thousands or even tens of thousands if it's a well known artist. Jeez.

I have several tattoos. I got a large lower-back piece about 20 years ago, and it was about $500 then. The artist I've had do my last three tattoos (all arm pieces) charges $100/hour, so they've each run about $300 before tip (20%). Good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good.

• Love 1

What does Mina have against basements?  Is it an Indy thing in general?

This last flip--unless I totally missed it,. they didn't have access to basement from first floor.  So you must have to do so from the exterior.

Even if basements that aren't finished out and have a slab floor, it's a great place for storage and a place for kids to play or hangout.

Since this last one was walkable w/good ceiling height, $$ on the extra sq footage would have been a good  for resale IMO - unless basement there aren't a thing  .

Also. - I really like the pleasant Desert Flip couple and their design style.  It's also interesting to see what it's like  to build/reno in that climate.

• Love 1
On 6/27/2018 at 9:20 PM, izabella said:

I thought they saved the columns, and then the next thing I saw, they were gone.  Why did they have to take those down?

On 6/27/2018 at 11:12 PM, bilgistic said:

During the final tour, Mina said they couldn't use them, but didn't say why.

Mina explained it to Karen during the episode. As I recall, the structural changes that they made required support posts that needed to be stronger than the decorative columns. I remember the convo because I was hoping that they would find somewhere else in the house to put the columns and was disappointed when they didn’t.

In terms of their restorations, I think M&K are in a tough spot. They are working with houses that are in terrible condition and trying to sell them at enough of a profit to keep the business going. Even if they wanted to restore most or all of the period details (which I’m sure Karen would), it’s just not good business to do so since they don’t have a market like the couple in Vintage Flip or a client like Brett on Restored. I generally respect the decisions they make regarding what to restore vs. replace. The layout changes, too, are designed to appeal to the majority of buyers because it doesn’t make business sense to hold on to a property for months hoping that the “right” buyer will happen along. I accept that even as I am another person who would not want my kitchen visible from the front door.

• Love 3

In this latest house (the purple one), I thought the woman Mina bought the house from said her grandfather bought it in 1980, and she showed some pictures which showed the staircase looking perfectly nice. Now I REMEMBER 1980 and it wasn't 100 years ago! Presumably her grandparents died a (little) while back-- How on earth did the house become so decrepit ?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2018 at 1:58 PM, sheetmoss said:

unless basement there aren't a thing  .

Basements are highly valued in Indiana during tornado season and by people who can their own food and as a place to hook up a washer/dryer. I haven't seen a lot of finished basements in Indiana. I don't know why but maybe it's because every city I've ever lived in in Indiana has had problems with the city's sewage system backing up into basements.

Unfortunately, if the grandparents either died, or sold out, and someone rented the place out, or someone who didn't care about the property, it could get trashed very quickly.     Some of the worst former tenants on the judge shows haven't lived in the rental very long.     

I know someone who seemed like a sweet little old lady (but I knew better), and rented a house for 10 years or so.   Since the owners had a ton of rental properties, and many tenants were students, they didn't inspect her house, because of the turnover in other tenants, etc.    Then, Lulu (not even close to her real name) died, and her poor daughter had to  clean the house out.   Everything went to the dump, and took many truck loads.    Then when the daughter turned the keys back, the owner and property managers walked through, and were appalled.    They had to gut the place, rebuild it,  and sold it.    

There are others that don’t like open concept? *gasp*

I live in one now and am renovating to close it up a bit. If I want to see every room in the house when I walk in the front door, I’d live in a loft. Open concept opens don’t feel cozy to me.

I’ve noticed that these ladies don’t make a lot of profit with their homes. Are they just pricing too low? It hardly seems worth the effort for such a low return. 

• Love 1
On 4/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, bilgistic said:

My sources tell me that season 4 starts Tuesday, May 14, 2019!

I've recently seen some promos for their show while watching DIY network. The daughter's face looks different somehow in those promos. I wonder if she's had a facelift or something. I like the show. Yes, they go OTT on the drah-mah on every damn episode, and the mom is such a flake half the time, yes I assume it's played up for the cameras, but still. However, they are dead serious about taking care of all structural and code issues when they are renovating those old houses, and I respect that. 

I'm no fan of their overdone overstuffed interior decor as shown in the reveals but at least, thank the Goddess, I'm not watching Joanna Gaines clones. And I usually like what they do with the houses, decorating aside. 

The daughter's face might be different, because she had a baby a while ago.    Weight gain, and loss often does interesting things to all parts of the body.    

I like seeing the older houses get remodeled, and done the right way, but I'm not really fond of the overstuffed interiors they do on this show, I like the physical redo of the house more than the design aspects.  

30 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love the couple that looked at the house, and hope they buy it.   

No such luck!

The house really did look good when they finished and I loved the wallpaper in the dining room! I also liked the moveable shelves that hid the bar...good planning on someone's part! The fireplace turned out really nice also.

• Love 3

I liked what they did but they didn't show everything at the end.  We only saw one bathroom, and they never said where the laundry was going to go.  Maybe in the downstairs "stone" bathroom?  They did say it was going to become a powder room so I guess the washer/dryer could go in the tub space.

My DVR cut off - how much did they sell it for?

Glad the show is back.

What I find amazing is, with all of the flip shows in the various cities -  M & K don't make   profits as large as the other shows do.

50 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

What I find amazing is, with all of the flip shows in the various cities -  M & K don't make   profits as large as the other shows do.

Two reasons I can think of....one, they are in Indianapolis not California and two, I think they are more honest about their profits! The Boise Boys , the Nashville and Atlanta folks make nice profits but not hundreds of thousands of dollars because shows set in CA are in a different league!

They did have another buyer for this house and I think that Mina said they were going to ask $409,000(her original estimate was $400,000.)

I was so glad they saved all of that gorgeous woodwork!  And, they didn’t come through tearing down every wall!  I did agree with Mina about the fireplace. The brick didn’t really fit, and marble would have been too much. The drywall and trim fit the style of the house perfectly. 

Looks like Karen’s Korner got upgraded to a whole Design Warehouse!

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Two reasons I can think of....one, they are in Indianapolis not California and two, I think they are more honest about their profits! The Boise Boys , the Nashville and Atlanta folks make nice profits but not hundreds of thousands of dollars because shows set in CA are in a different league!

They did have another buyer for this house and I think that Mina said they were going to ask $409,000(her original estimate was $400,000.)

I take the CA shows with a grain of salt because their market is super hot

Thinking more along the lines of DIY's Big Tx Fix (Galveston) - they purchase  houses as bad-- and similarly priced as M & K buys  - usually put $100k+ into them... and make some wonderful profits. 

I put the TX couple in the same league as M & K with the places they take on.

The Vegas couple do very well too. - not hundreds of thousand-- but still a nice amt. It's sad when you see M & K might make $25 or $30k

Then again maybe M7K make their $$ in volume?

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

It's sad when you see M & K might make $25 or $30k

It seems like Mina and Karen often make a lot less profit than people on other flipping shows, plus they have to split it. Either they're being more honest/thorough about their actual expenses, (including project managers, design assistants, listing fees, etc.) or they simply spend more on their renovations with higher end finishes or more expensive subcontractors. They also take on some truly derelict places, but then the cost of those is really low to start with.

I'm very bored by the obligatory demolition scenes on every one of these shows, but the focus on Tad borders on ridiculous. At least the demo crew wore face masks this time. All that plaster dust, rodent droppings, mold in the insulation ... protect yourselves, people! Are you actively trying to get a flying splinter in the eye?

The potential buyers in this ep seemed overly effusive and I had a feeling they weren't serious. But the house turned out nice as always; another eyesore gone from the neighborhood!

Karen and Mina's little spat about the old fireplace brick was funny, just because Karen was so wrong. I understand Karen wanting her opinions to be valued, but I don't think Karen tries to overrule her on landscaping choices. And Karen readily saw that the judges paneling was a nice option.

Anyway, glad the show is back! Leanne Ford has been giving me nightmares.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

For one thing, I think they use realtors when they put a house on the market, and that's 6% off the profit right there, plus closing costs.    I bet if someone like the adorable couple who toured the house had bought it, they could have saved the realtor costs, and made more profit. 

12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

For one thing, I think they use realtors when they put a house on the market, and that's 6% off the profit right there, plus closing costs.    I bet if someone like the adorable couple who toured the house had bought it, they could have saved the realtor costs, and made more profit. 

I think Mina is a realtor.

Why would Mina hand the house off to another agent if she's the listing agent? It's not a time consuming job. It's something you can do on maternity leave. I'm assuming she's working with a brokerage firm.

2 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I think Mina is a realtor.

Yes she is

Aubrey on Flip/Vegas, is one,   so is Anita Flip/Atlanta,

Kortney /Masters of Flip(Nashville)y is one too.

I'm wondering if they had larger carrying costs for this house?  I could tell it took a while because of Mina's pregnant belly, very pregnant belly, just had baby belly, then normal looking belly.

Anyway, I've known people who flipped houses in NC and they made similar profits to what M & K made this time.  The flipping wasn't their only job so an extra $20-40,000 every six months wasn't bad.

Wow, what an awful house. I thought maybe Mina misspoke and meant to say that the city paid them $4000 to take the house off of the city's hands! I felt dirty after touring that place with them and was worried it was to collapse on. The finished product was nice tho'! Really did look like the original house. I loved the paint colors they used...blues and greens are my thing. As usual it was over decorated but that can be easily removed. Hopefully with this renovation and ones in the future, the neighborhood will start to be a good place to live.

• Love 2
(edited)

The city should have sold that house for $1, not $4k.   I like that Mina said that though they would only clear about $16k on this house, that buying a few more on the block, and fixing them up was where the money will be.  

I love that the second they realized the foundation was falling apart, they pulled out, and got away from it.    I agree with Mina, the house was bad, but the view from the front porch was awful.   I can't believe they went past the front door, with that sink hole in the former kitchen.    They're lucky they didn't end up under the house, instead of inside it.     

I love the finished house, the outside colors are so nice, and the inside is wonderful.  The home buyer and her Mom are so cute.     I'm so glad they bought the house. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

They kept saying peach but that was pink in my opinion and the "green" looked really grey on my tv with just a hint of green to it.

That apartment turned out cute--they could have moved the tenants over to that side when they were done and then done the other side so they didn't have to come back and do the other side when they move.

It was nice of them to do a little more for the sister-in-law.   I liked the little patio they made for her out back so she could enjoy the back yard with her pups.

• Love 1
(edited)

My guess is that they wouldn't move the tenant to the updated side, because they really wanted to redo the tenant occupied side.   

I bet the tenant probably wouldn't move without an incentive, such as a new lease, or the current rental price, or both.     They just have to wait out the current tenant, give them a notice they're either not renewing the lease, or ending the month-to-month, with the proper notice time, giving the tenant time to leave, and then redo the second side.        

I'm not a big fan of the light pink, but I think it was a great improvement over what was there before.      It really looked pretty after.    I loved how touched the sister in law (I hope I get the relationship right) was, and how happy she was with the finished duplex.  

I love Mina building, and decorating her Forever Home, right next door to her first home.    I really love the house, and hope they have a long, happy life living there.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Wow! Mina and Steve's house is beautiful! I loved how she planned what she wanted and then managed to actually do it! The look on Steve's face was awesome and if it was acting, he should be in movies! I follow their instagram pages but after seeing him in "person" I love him! As I watched this show, I imagined how it would be to design and build you house the way you wanted it...what an experience.