Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Whimsy

S13.E09: Game Day Special

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

That's actually kind of hard because a lot of the evaluation is through practical exams

He could talk and smirk his way to a degree, by the people teaching him being so sick of him they never wanted him to darken their doors again.

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

He could talk and smirk his way to a degree, by the people teaching him being so sick of him they never wanted him to darken their doors again.

I don't think so. Like I wrote earlier, I know multiple people who have taught and attended the CIA and that is not how it works. If they get sick of someone who can't do the work, they give a failing grade.

I have heard a lot of tales from CIA instructors about kids (including some from family names you would be familiar with) begging for a better grades. And. . . it doesn't happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was joking, of course. It is a shame he doesn't be honest and portray himself as a knowledgable young man, but instead lies and goes for the schtick he thinks will win. It's so disingenuous. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/1/2017 at 0:09 PM, estellasmum said:

My family has been on a massive Hawaiian food kick lately, so it really stood out to me when Matthew called it Hawaiian box lunch in his segment. Bobby was the one that used the words plate lunch. 

I do not like this show at all, but my kids have 5 shows on FN that they absolutely love, and this is one of them, so I let them DVR it. Last night, they were in a silly mood and helping me make dinner. All of a sudden my daughter starts yelling as loud as she can to a fake camera about all the steps she is doing to make dinner. I was confused at first, but then I realized she was yelling in Rusty's exact cadence. When she had nothing in her hands, my son hip-checked her out of the way and started smirking to the fake camera about how he was a chef, and he knew what he was doing and was going to tell a story and then proceeded to smirk and smarm about how awesome of a chef he was and how he knew everything about food and he was better than everyone else. My daughter butted back in and started naming all the different color layers of food in the bowl and after each one, she said it had flavor. She then yelled "Game Day!!!' and then said if her kids didn't eat her food, she was going to starve them. They didn't do Jason. They loved Jason in Holiday Baking Championship, and they still love him now. I think FN will lose 2 viewers if he doesn't win.

My husband had never seen the show until he walked in on them watching it last week. He walked in when the camera was on Giada in her cut out dress. He wanted to know exactly what we were watching. He watched all of this weeks episode, and wanted to know why "the skeleton with all the teeth doesn't want to wear clothes on TV." He's pretty sure that is the reason my son likes this show.

roflmaoGIF.gif

That is SO much more entertaining than the actual show.  Do you have a video camera?  Maybe dress a blow up doll in a bikini and put some fake teeth on it as Giada.  I see a bright YouTube future for your kids.

PS.  I suspect hubbie is spot-on about son's fascination with the show.  Heh.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

It is a shame he doesn't be honest and portray himself as a knowledgable young man, but instead lies and goes for the schtick he thinks will win. It's so disingenuous. 

I have no clue why someone on a cooking show would pretend to know less about cooking than they do. It just makes no sense. I mean, the show claims to be looking for a "food authority" and you went to the freaking CIA! That's something to be proud of, not to pretend you don't know what a classic French dish is. I give him a slight pass on the moco loco thing because I'm not sure how much Hawaiian cuisine he would learn in school but come on, they taught him coq au vin. Isn't that like first year stuff?

I always hated the idea that young women dumb themselves down to attract guys. I hate it just as much watching a young man dumb himself down to attract...followers? IDK, what is it he's after with that schtick?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

My family has been on a massive Hawaiian food kick lately, so it really stood out to me when Matthew called it Hawaiian box lunch in his segment. Bobby was the one that used the words plate lunch. 

Love this!!  My son is in the Navy in Hawaii and my husband and I are going out there for our very first visit in January.  I have been collecting food recommendations.  Got  lead to Lee Ann Wong's restaurant from Katie Lee's otherwise execrable show;  more leads from an Andrew Zimmern episode.  Any tips welcome!!

Share this post


Link to post

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Maya said:

Buffalo chicken pizza has been done to death. Definitely not a "mashup you've never seen before!!!" I would have been more impressed if he had used wings as the base and some how added elements of pizza. 

Plus he kept saying you could eat this with one hand, the "beauty" plate showed congealed mozzarella oozing out onto the plate. That wasn't a eat with your hand dish and the mozzarella would mellow out all the flavors. Goodness gracious I hate him

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, xaxat said:

That's actually kind of hard because a lot of the evaluation is through practical exams. If you can't bake, you can't really pass baking and pastries

Thank you.  I don't want to keep harping on this because you all get it (I am super proud), but my daughter is attending this school.  There's no way to cheat through your practicals. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone offended by Honey doesn't want to meet me! I live in the South and I was a waitress much of my life. Trust and believe I call everybody Honey, Dear, Sweetie. Just what we do!

EVERY pizza place here has wings on the menu. They also have chicken pizza. Not that "new" guys.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I was joking, of course. It is a shame he doesn't be honest and portray himself as a knowledgable young man, but instead lies and goes for the schtick he thinks will win. It's so disingenuous. 

Cooks, you must not watch The Bachelorette or you would know the correct term is "ingenuine", not "disingenuous." (ha)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

http://blog.ciachef.edu/matt-grunwald-featured/ CIA does claim him. From what I can figure out, even though his degree is in management, the first two years are standard for all CIA students. 

GenL, forgive me if I've missed this along the way, but does French cuisine get emphasized in your daughter's training? I was pleasantly surprised at the diversity of geographic emphases in the required curriculum.

I think Matthew does have strong cooking skills and I would consider making his food when he's not shoehorned into gimmicky stuff. I don't want to watch him, but other than his youthfulness (immaturity...), I do trust that he can make good food. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Cooks, you must not watch The Bachelorette or you would know the correct term is "ingenuine", not "disingenuous." (ha)

No, I don't watch that show. There's only so much "reality" I can stand. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/31/2017 at 11:50 PM, Irlandesa said:

When was this filmed? I ask because the whole point of the Iron Chef competition they had earlier this year was, in theory, to see if there was enough interest to revive the series.  But that series finished airing towards the end of May and this series started a few weeks later.  So did they really decide to revive Iron Chef that quickly?  Or was that always the plan and Gauntlet only served to drum up interest? Shenanigans!

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/58290-s13e09-game-day-special/?do=findComment&comment=3508122

A few comments above yours I speculated what probably happened.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Cooks, you must not watch The Bachelorette or you would know the correct term is "ingenuine", not "disingenuous." (ha)

 

4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

No, I don't watch that show. There's only so much "reality" I can stand. :)

I've been laughing at this until I had to wipe away tears! Cooksdelight, you have to have the quickest comebacks in the Southeast!  BRAVA!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Pallida said:

http://blog.ciachef.edu/matt-grunwald-featured/ CIA does claim him. From what I can figure out, even though his degree is in management, the first two years are standard for all CIA students. 

GenL, forgive me if I've missed this along the way, but does French cuisine get emphasized in your daughter's training? I was pleasantly surprised at the diversity of geographic emphases in the required curriculum.

I think Matthew does have strong cooking skills and I would consider making his food when he's not shoehorned into gimmicky stuff. I don't want to watch him, but other than his youthfulness (immaturity...), I do trust that he can make good food. 

My daughter just started a couple months ago and she's in baking and pastry- so no. They are just focusing on the basics right now. 

I agree about Matthew. I think he has the skills but his immaturity really shows through in this show. He needs to grow up and get some humility. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It occurred to me it would make more sense for Amy to be dressed with cleavage and parading around and Giada be the one to cover up a bit...there is something incongruent about the whole thing.  I really can't put my finger on what seems out of place....is it a Time and Place thing with Giada?  I mean who cares what she wears and if she shows boobage?  But for some reason she just seems like a walking boob each week.  We barely even notice her giant freak head and shark teeth anymore.  Are we being trolled?

Her level of disdain to try that corn dog was annoying AF.   I'm sure she's had worse and greasier in her mouth....she didn't have to be so dramatic.  It's a battered weiner.  Deal with it Jadda.   And they did show her taking a small bite of her half of a deviled egg...which she promptly put down and then picked up a fork to finish moving it around her plate.  Guess that whole massive deviled egg is just too calorically dense?  Yikes.

It also occurred to me that this isn't even a show to find a food network star anymore.  They trotted on that Hart girl from the internet and gave her a show and then the Cousins lobster guy is trotted on here as a host/guest judge...they weren't asked to compete on this clown show.

Glad Amy is finally gone.  She was wearing a horrible tied up tshirt in the first segment, a non descript sleeveless rag that looked like something you sleep in for the middle TV segment and a long floral dress in the last one.  Her style is as confused as her presentations.

Did Matthew make a mistake on the TV show segment?   When he was talking about Rusty's presentation didn't he say "loaded mashed potatoes?"  I will say that this week is as likeable as we've seen him.  He did a nice job on both presentations.  Smirky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/2/2017 at 7:50 PM, susannot said:

Love this!!  My son is in the Navy in Hawaii and my husband and I are going out there for our very first visit in January.  I have been collecting food recommendations.  Got  lead to Lee Ann Wong's restaurant from Katie Lee's otherwise execrable show;  more leads from an Andrew Zimmern episode.  Any tips welcome!!

Highway Inn for local food.  And any of the shrimp trucks.  and shave ice....with adzuki and mochi topper with cream.  Find some chocolate covered cuttlefish.  Or chocolate covered mochi.

Share this post


Link to post

I must need to get a life.  This show has so many flaws, especially this season, yet every week I begin to get itchy to see it about two days ahead of time!  I guess that goes to show how few decent cooking shows the FN offers these days.  I'm even thinking about a show that would either break all ratings records or would drive the viewers straight to the Funny Farm: a one-time-only montage of all of Matthew's facial expressions and remarks during the course of the episodes.  I wonder how many viewers would destroy their television sets.  Matthew is so vacant that he'd probably take it as the utmost compliment! 

From the sublime to the ridiculous, I'd really enjoy it if the FN would follow the same idea with Jason.  I think that all of his facial expressions, mannerisms and especially his sayings would keep anybody occupied for a full 30 minutes!  Merely keeping up with his colorful shirts would be time well spent.  If the FN seems intent on backing away from real cooking shows and filling the airwaves with "Ginormous" and Guy Fieri, then why not capitalize on the entertainment values of a show like this one?

I'll go back to my non-life again while the rest of you can continue to write about matters more suitable and worthwhile.  Thanks for allowing this interruption.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I just want this show to go back to its roots. To actually GROOM contestants to, you know, be on TV. To give them advice, to give them constructive criticism, to actually HELP them to be a so-called "Food Network Star." I mean, come on. Even *I* could be be a judge on GGG. All this is is a glorified Chopped, or Triple D, or Triple G, the Kitchen, or Beat Bobby Flay. There is no mentoring involved (unless you "win" 30 seconds from 2 hosts who do not give a crap).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Amy was overdue to go home. Hooray! She's finally out! Her inappropriate CPS comments bugged me.

Matthew. He's trying to be a spoiled brat who doesn't know what certain foods were. If he wins this whole thing, I will:

1. Plan to go to the CIA.

2. Watch certain shows on Food Network (no more Cutthroat Kitchen, no more Chopped)

3. Probably abandon FN for about a month.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I just want this show to go back to its roots. To actually GROOM contestants to, you know, be on TV. To give them advice, to give them constructive criticism, to actually HELP them to be a so-called "Food Network Star." I mean, come on. Even *I* could be be a judge on GGG. All this is is a glorified Chopped, or Triple D, or Triple G, the Kitchen, or Beat Bobby Flay. There is no mentoring involved (unless you "win" 30 seconds from 2 hosts who do not give a crap).

As badly scripted it was, the year they went with 3 teams actually had some of the best mentoring.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Skyfall said:

As badly scripted it was, the year they went with 3 teams actually had some of the best mentoring.

I hated that year.  Martie Duncan was stuck on the same team with Justin Warner.  I found Martie  to be far superior to Justin, yet the judges fawned over him.

Also the way they rotated team by team with the dismissals was not always fair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder what happened to Martie Duncan?

I think Matthew probably has autism that he got from that contagious snob Emilia Cirker from 2 seasons ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

I wonder what happened to Martie Duncan?

I live in Cleveland and I went to the Fabulous Food Show thing 2 years ago. She presented there and her presentation was fantastic. I do not know why she has not resurfaced, so to speak. She was a natural, IMHO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

After Martie left the show, she began touring nearly every major city in her state.  On these tours, she talked to groups, did demonstrations, and worked at other things.  She did this for several years and may still be doing it -- I don't know.  Nevertheless, it would have been wonderful training for a food show.

Westiepeach, I was born, raised, and married in a smaller town near Cleveland.  I taught in two of Cleveland's suburbs.  Even though we live in CA now, I still think of northern Ohio as my home.  You and I were almost neighbors!  :)

Edited by Lura · Reason: typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/2/2017 at 4:50 PM, susannot said:

Love this!!  My son is in the Navy in Hawaii and my husband and I are going out there for our very first visit in January.  I have been collecting food recommendations.  Got  lead to Lee Ann Wong's restaurant from Katie Lee's otherwise execrable show;  more leads from an Andrew Zimmern episode.  Any tips welcome!!

If you're on Oahu, stop for hulihuli chicken.  We'd always pick some up in Haleiwa when going to friends' house.  Guy recently featured it and it looked like the owner may have moved to the east shore or opened a second location.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/3/2017 at 10:32 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

It occurred to me it would make more sense for Amy to be dressed with cleavage and parading around and Giada be the one to cover up a bit...there is something incongruent about the whole thing.  I really can't put my finger on what seems out of place....is it a Time and Place thing with Giada?  I mean who cares what she wears and if she shows boobage?  But for some reason she just seems like a walking boob each week.  We barely even notice her giant freak head and shark teeth anymore.  Are we being trolled?

Her level of disdain to try that corn dog was annoying AF.   I'm sure she's had worse and greasier in her mouth....she didn't have to be so dramatic.  It's a battered weiner.  Deal with it Jadda.   And they did show her taking a small bite of her half of a deviled egg...which she promptly put down and then picked up a fork to finish moving it around her plate.  Guess that whole massive deviled egg is just too calorically dense?  Yikes.

It also occurred to me that this isn't even a show to find a food network star anymore.  They trotted on that Hart girl from the internet and gave her a show and then the Cousins lobster guy is trotted on here as a host/guest judge...they weren't asked to compete on this clown show.

Glad Amy is finally gone.  She was wearing a horrible tied up tshirt in the first segment, a non descript sleeveless rag that looked like something you sleep in for the middle TV segment and a long floral dress in the last one.  Her style is as confused as her presentations.

Did Matthew make a mistake on the TV show segment?   When he was talking about Rusty's presentation didn't he say "loaded mashed potatoes?"  I will say that this week is as likeable as we've seen him.  He did a nice job on both presentations.  Smirky.

An extremely x-rated thought popped unwillingly into my head when I read paragraph two, happydancex2.  We'll leave it at that (cough-John Mayer-cough).

Runs off before being banned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size