Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: Game Day Special

• Start Topic

The four remaining finalists try their hand at reporting live on location by visiting popular food trucks while Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay and special guest Sabin Lomac watch from the studio. Then, it's time for each finalist to partake in their own segment of a special called "Up Your Game (Day)," performing a demo of a special game-day dish while also tackling surprises along the way. ESPN's Jemele Hill and special guest Jaymee Sire watch the special with Bobby and Giada to help decide which finalist goes down in defeat.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What kind of culinary school did Matthew go to that he also didn't know what Loco Moco was?

Maybe an on-line school?  A few episodes ago he had never heard of Coq au vin.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone notice what show one of the judges(Jaymee Sire) is from? She will be the floor reporter on Iron Chef Showdown. So she is taking over Kevin's job and the show is a go! Will they be finding another Iron Chef this go around?

Ok, I will admit, I have never heard of Loco Moco before tonight but then, I have never been to culinary school.

I had to feel for Jason when his eggs wouldn't peel. I hate when that happens....always when you are taking them to a party! Maybe this is why he didn't have 4 eggs for the show.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What kind of culinary school did Matthew go to that he also didn't know what Loco Moco was?

21 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Maybe an on-line school?  A few episodes ago he had never heard of Coq au vin.  

Matthew went to the top culinary school in the US (world?). My daughter is currently attending the school. It's not his education from the Culinary Institute of America that's the problem. For whatever reason he's pretending to not know what things are. It was figured out last week that he definitely knew what coq au vin was. He participated in a competition where it was one of the dishes he helped prepare. He's playing dumb and it's anoying. 

Well, Amy's gone. She finally couldn't be carried along anymore. Makes no difference. I don't like anyone left anyway. 

• Love 8

I actually didn't mind either Amy or Matthew this episode. I really thought Rusty would be going home. Everything about his presentations was obnoxious to me. I hate being YELLED AT... I guess it's supposed to get you pumped? It just puts me off.

• Love 9
(edited)

I want to be fair:  I thought Matthew did a very good job in both challenges tonight.  He cooked well, interacted well, was genuine, fun and energetic (but not too much so), seemed more mature.  He can't really help the way he smiles -- it looks like a smirk but that is the way his lips are and with his age, it's easy to assume he's smirking.  I don't really think it's fair to him -- to me, it's just like people with RBF.

So glad Amy's gone.  It was a toss-up to me if it would be Rusty -- he really had a bad day -- or Amy, but she was long overdue to be sent home, IMO.

Giada's black dress was unbuttoned so far that you could see her black bra.  I was trying to see if it was just part of the dress, but no, it was her damn bra.  Good God, Giada -- ridiculous.

Jason is a good-natured hoot.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 15

Matthew is really good on camera. I think he is unlikeable, smug and obnoxious and wouldn't watch him on anything, but he is definitely at ease in front of the camera. Jason just makes me smile. Rusty... I am so tired of the big, sweaty, loud contestants. 

Amy wasn't very good, but I wish she had stayed over Rusty. I can't stand him. 

The only one I will be OK with winning is Jason. 

ITA about the "guys" comment. I am so tired of that!

• Love 14

The way they were editing this, I thought Rusty was the one going home. He had the worst night of everyone left. 

After Matthew's performance over the last two weeks, I'm wondering if he's getting a winner's edit. I could see them wanting someone younger who connects well on social media and to be honest, I can tolerate him a bit more than Rusty or Jason. Jason's southern schtick gets old very fast and Rusty is very loud and Guy 2.0. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Did anyone notice what show one of the judges(Jaymee Sire) is from? She will be the floor reporter on Iron Chef Showdown. So she is taking over Kevin's job and the show is a go! Will they be finding another Iron Chef this go around?

IC is coming back? Interesting..wonder if Alton will still be the new Chairman or they will do a fake-out in the first episode and bring Mark Dacascos back LOL

I wouldve thought the burnt hot dogs had been enough to send Rusty home..for a second i thought the guy w/ the hat and glasses was Rodney a.k.a Mr"PIE STYLE!" from the season where Damaris won

Is Star Salvation over..? something tells me we may see Amy back on the main show

(Almost forgot there a new season of The Great Food Truck Race coming up..if i see that "TRUCK YEAH!!!" promo again.. )

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, TDT said:

I wouldve thought the burnt hot dogs had been enough to send Rusty home.

Rusty did not use the burned hot dogs. He found other hot dogs in the fridge and went with those. At least he knew not to use the burned ones. I really was hoping he would be the one going home because he is like every heavy-set cook they have had on for the last few years plus he is LOUD...sorry for yelling!

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, TDT said:

IC is coming back? Interesting..wonder if Alton will still be the new Chairman or they will do a fake-out in the first episode and bring Mark Dacascos back LOL

I wouldve thought the burnt hot dogs had been enough to send Rusty home..for a second i thought the guy w/ the hat and glasses was Rodney a.k.a Mr"PIE STYLE!" from the season where Damaris won

Is Star Salvation over..? something tells me we may see Amy back on the main show

(Almost forgot there a new season of The Great Food Truck Race coming up..if i see that "TRUCK YEAH!!!" promo again.. )

The webisodes wrapped with the episode posted tonight, so the (unknown) survivor will re-enter the show next week. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Rusty and Amy were both equally bad in the final challenge (in my opinion), but Rusty was far worse in the first one, so I think he should've gone home.

Matthew making fun of Rusty's inability to pronounce "cloche" was ironic, given the fact he claimed not to have ever heard of coq au vin.

• Love 5

Matthew - I don't like him.  I DON'T LIKE HIM AT ALL.  He is good on camera but his style is so off putting.  How many tries has he had now?

Jason - I like him and I like his food.  I would watch him.

Rusty - I don't dislike him but by now he should be improving and I don't see it.

Amy - She has been a wreck from the start.  How could she not think that the chips were a big part of her mashup?  Crumbling them or even just putting them on top of the burger would have been better than nothing. Is she a food blogger?  Blogging and doing a cooking show is very different.  I was ready for her to be gone weeks ago.

• Love 7
(edited)

More gimmicks, which is what this show is all about.

It's one thing to combine unlikely ingredients (Chopped), but combining said dish with a point of view is awkward. Granted, Rusty was "stuck with" loaded potatoes and hot dogs, but I would have to be fakety-fake to show any enthusiasm for my product.  Even though they seemed to like his dog on a stick and dipping sauce.  This was one case where burning the original ingredient seemed to work in the contestant's favor.

Matthew - you always point out you're from Phoenix, Arizona.  There have to be outlets for Hawaiian cuisine in the larger cities at least, so this baloney about not knowing what loco moco is has to be BS.  I live in a California bedroom community and can walk to the local L&L and have loco moco seven days a week.  I really dislike you.

This can't be a FNS thread without discussion of haute couture.  In this case, from the 70s. Bobby's rust-colored (velour?) jacket and white sneaks. Giada's floral Diana von Fursteinburg wrap dress that flaunted her breasts and thighs.  Colonel Sanders would be proud.

I liked the Cousins food truck guy.  We've followed the one in Napa and they have great lobster rolls.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 5

Remember Mary Hart of ET? She sat at a glass table, and they had a "leg light" which focused on her legs. There was a running joke about it for years. I'm convinced they have a Boob Light for Giada. Those puppies were sparkling, weren't they? So much so, I couldn't stop staring. ACK!!!!!!!

I can't stand Matthew, I don't care how well he presents. "Hey guys!" Is the best he can do. I will never watch him, only the 17 supporters on his Facebook page, who ooh and aah over every tweet that he reposts. Rusty has gray teeth, and he always looks dirty. Never watch him either. Amy is so up and down, I think trying to remain up all the time might put her in the hospital. In the psych ward. Jason has honeyed me right out of caring if he wins or not.

• Love 10
(edited)

Ye Gods, that was boring. Maybe because I just don't care about anyone remaining, though I guess we'll see who comes back.

These people presumably know ahead of time that they're going on the show, and who the judges (Bobby and Giada) are. Did Amy do no research? Bobby has a small chain of "fast casual" burger places featuring "crunchifying" your burger with chips on the burger. Of course he wanted the tortilla chips on there!

ETA: I thought the ESPN woman gave great critiques on presentation.

Edited by Catronia
  • Love 6

Thank heavens Amy got booted.   I just hope they don't drag her back up next week.  I loved when Jason busted her out when she was asked if she knew how to make tortilla chips and she launched into this lengthy dissertation about what she was making and he said that all she had been asked was if she knew how to make chips.

I like Rusty, so I am glad that he remains despite getting a poor edit on this episode.  

I know it is to the dismay of many people, but based on what was shown, Matthew killed it.  he performed well on both challenges.  I know wish he had switched it around though and given Amy the potato/hot dog combo.  She would have freaked out.

So I guess we are down to two final weeks.......

• Love 2

I was laughing when Amy was struggling to come up with her POV. She has kids! Kids literally mash together mis-matched foods all the time!

Another "honey" from Jason to Amy. Does he ever do that to the male contestants? Like I wrote before, I find it condescending, not endearing.

It feels like very episode the editing crew manages to include a single, hilarious shot that throws shade on Giada. This week it was the terrified look on her face when she realized that she would have to open her mouth and take a real bite of Rusty's corn dog.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Another "honey" from Jason to Amy. Does he ever do that to the male contestants? Like I wrote before, I find it condescending, not endearing.

I think Jason is a sweet guy who in no way means any disrespect to Amy.  It is endearing to me as a Southern lady who is used to hearing it.

• Love 19

They kept Rusty so they could out him next week.  He doesn't have a chance.

I watched Matthew's performance last night and tried to be neutral.  He has a lot of "trainability" in my opinion.  He is younger and someone already said he would appeal to the younger crowd (if they will get in the kitchen).  I remember when Guy F won -- he had real potential in the food area  but was very naive on being in front of a camera.  Maybe Matt has this same potential?  

I'm not sure about Jason's future.  He already is what he is going to be.  Will that bring in more viewers?  Or will Matt?

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I was laughing when Amy was struggling to come up with her POV. She has kids! Kids literally mash together mis-matched foods all the time!

I know!!! She still doesn't get it, she never will. Her kids never put chips on a burger?? Come on... my great-nephews do it all the time!!! "Look here what I made....a chippy burger!!"

• Love 1
(edited)

So Amy gets sent home for blubbering in front of the camera exactly like she did five weeks ago....and four weeks ago, and three weeks ago, and...   What did they expect?  She has a couple of halfway decent camera presentations and she's going to turn into Ina Garten?  She was way past her shelf life.  I'm sorry they led her on for so long.

I absolutely disagree with the notion that potatoes and hot dogs was "the most difficult paring."  Yes, cooking the potatoes in limited time is a challenge, but as for the pairing: every Jewish deli-restaurant from Ben's to Katz on 2nd Avenue makes a mashed potato-stuffed roll (like a knish) with a hot dog.  While I'm sure there are no gourmet Jewish delis in the far reaches of Louisiana,  Bobby certainly should have known better.  Any five-year-old will tell you that hot dogs and potatoes (french fries, tater tots, etc.) are a natural taste combination.

Sorry to go after Flay again, but I'm also going to nab him for the assertion that Matthew should have used blue cheese instead of mozzarella in his buffalo pizza pocket.  Had he done that, what exactly would have made it pizza at all?  I can hear Bobby: "I like this, but it's just dough stuffed with buffalo chicken.  Nothing about it reminds me of pizza."  Crumbling some blue cheese in addition to the mozzarella, maybe; instead of...no.  

Let's don't get into Giada's obnoxious pronunciation of "mozzarella" (that "fragile" cheese).  If Matthew hadn't used buffalo sauce, had used tomato sauce instead...here we go again: "This is just a chicken parmesan pocket, it has nothing to do with buffalo wings."  They made up the stupid challenge, and then critiqued the cook for fulfilling it.  I dunno, maybe he used too much buffalo sauce.  Anyway,  I do thank Giada for once again for bringing the girls to the show.  Always a pleasure to see them.  And we're seeing more of them this season than if this were Cinemax After Dark.

Jason's chili/deviled eggs looked good to me!  I'm impressed that he got the flavor of full-on chili into the beans without meat.

Rusty's corn-dog was worth it just for the look of obvious repulsion on Giada's face at having to bite into it.  Someone needs to loop that expression and her failed attempt to bite into it as an animated gif.  Dank meme waiting to happen.

Yes, we all hate to say it, but Matthew was excellent this week.  He didn't try to usurp the group presentation (I was sure he would) and in fact, he came off as a team player--which, as we all know, he's not.  In fairness, if I'd never seen Matthew before and had tuned into FNS for the first time tonight, I'd have said he was a charming, personable young chef and would win this competition by a mile.

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Another "honey" from Jason to Amy. Does he ever do that to the male contestants?

He absolutely did.  Re-watch the episode (if you dare...it was pretty lousy overall): he called at least one of the guys "honey" (I think it was Matthew) at least once.  I distinctly remember, because I thought it was kind of odd.

Edited by TomCorps
  • Love 11

Buffalo chicken pizza has been done to death. Definitely not a "mashup you've never seen before!!!" I would have been more impressed if he had used wings as the base and some how added elements of pizza. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Maya said:

Buffalo chicken pizza has been done to death. Definitely not a "mashup you've never seen before!!!" I would have been more impressed if he had used wings as the base and some how added elements of pizza. 

But he didn't just cop out and do Buffalo chicken pizza.  I thought the pizza pockets were a cute idea.   It was the easiest to merge together though.

• Love 2

I've got to hand it to Matthew; last season, he came on the show, convinced he was the next big STAR on TFN, and he failed miserably.  Oh, how happy most of us were when he got sent home!  Since then, he's done everything the judges have told him he needed to do to improve.  He's spent the past year working on his presentations, his on-camera "personality", and his food POV.  He wants this gig more than maybe anyone who's ever appeared on this show.  He almost needs it.  I give him a lot of credit for the sheer determination and focus he's obviously got to get this far.

I actually hope he wins.  I won't watch his show, but I no longer actively dislike him or want him to fail.  Anyone who puts in that amount of time, effort, and work and gets to the point of "competence" that he now has deserves to win this silly little show.

• Love 10

Boo. Boo boo boo boo boo ... Seriously, if Jason doesn't win this in a landslide I may never watch this show again because the only other even palatable contestant for me was David. The others are a completely motley unlikeable and untalented crew with any combination of terrible personality, visible discomfort on air or just boring cooking chops. OF COURSE Matthew did well this week. He could wipe up the floor with everyone from here until the season ends and I would HOPE it would not matter because he's already so hated I don't think many FNC fans would ever watch his show. 

My guess is that he's done something that Scaramooch would accuse someone of with glee and as such HAS to go far enough to be given some sort of show somewhere (the good cooker you love to hate or something) but NOT be the winner/representative of this brand with his own show as reward when so many fans have spoken.

• Love 1
(edited)

I expected Matthew to do well since he's so at home with the cameras, but I didn't  expect him to do THAT well.  He did literally everything the task required, and he did it easily and naturally.  And his food was good.  Cory still has my heart, but if Matthew performs this well in the finals, I don't think Cory can outshine him.  My only hope is that the judges will see Matthew as not knowing much about various dishes and giving the nod to Cory (IF he survives Comeback Kitchen).  Much as I HATE to say it, I think Matthew could win the whole shebang.  Now, I'm going to cut my tongue out.  I would almost advocate Cory rushing over to Bobby's apartment, taking the back stairs two at a time, and getting nightly mentoring so that he could gain a barrel full of confidence and a fire in his belly that would knock Matthew on his ear.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

I've got to hand it to Matthew; last season, he came on the show, convinced he was the next big STAR on TFN, and he failed miserably.  Oh, how happy most of us were when he got sent home!  Since then, he's done everything the judges have told him he needed to do to improve.  He's spent the past year working on his presentations, his on-camera "personality", and his food POV.  He wants this gig more than maybe anyone who's ever appeared on this show.  He almost needs it.  I give him a lot of credit for the sheer determination and focus he's obviously got to get this far.

I actually hope he wins.  I won't watch his show, but I no longer actively dislike him or want him to fail.  Anyone who puts in that amount of time, effort, and work and gets to the point of "competence" that he now has deserves to win this silly little show.

Normally, I would be right there with you. I have great appreciation for those who want something badly and then actually do the heavy lifting to make it happen. 

I just can't get past Matthew though - agree totally that if I was just coming across this show, I'd be impressed with his performance and rooting for the win. 

But I can't. I think it would be a waste to let him win. He has generated such animosity with viewers that any show featuring Matthew would be a hard sell. They'll have to slip him in as a guest judge on established favorites to get viewers past their gag reflex.

It was a pretty watered down bunch this year.  However, Jason could hold down his own show. I'm not a baker, but he has a certain appeal. I could see him becoming a "personality". Cory would be my guy for the win. Easy on the eyes and good in the kitchen. Sold!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm kind of used to people like Jason, but there was no excuse for Asshole referring to Amy as "Ames, babe,..."

The "Kobe" hot dogs Rusty found (and why didn't he use those in the first place?) had to be product placement.  Next week, rib-eye scrapple.

My favorite moment was Rusty's grumbled, exhausted sounding "amazing..." when they are introduced to yet another previously unknown soul who is about to start appearing on Food Network without going through all this crap.  When they were introduced to the second line jumping future FNS later in the same hour I was surprised he didn't explode.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Totale said:

My favorite moment was Rusty's grumbled, exhausted sounding "amazing..." when they are introduced to yet another previously unknown soul who is about to start appearing on Food Network without going through all this crap.  When they were introduced to the second line jumping future FNS later in the same hour I was surprised he didn't explode.

I saw that too!!!!

We were laughing because I thought his eye was going to start twitching! And then this "line jumper" is a judge.

Ouch!

• Love 2
On 6/5/2017 at 8:01 AM, GenL said:

Sabin Lomac

He and his cousin/brother were BIG winners on Shark Tank, with Barbara Cocoran being their savior. I have to wonder if she's worked out a deal with FN for them, hence the judge appearance.

• Love 4

Has there ever been -- other than possibly Lenny, and we know how well HE did post-show -- a winner of FNS who was so overwhelmingly detested by the fans? Do they (as in the powers that be) care? I will not take away from him that he did a perfectly fine job this week on his standup. But his POV does absolutely nothing for me, I don't think he's particularly creative in his cooking, and he's just a complete asswipe. I'm not sure how you market a show with that to work with ...

If he could do something really amazing in terms of a show from a culinary standpoint, something no one else brings to the table, that would be one thing. You could just edit down his bravado and shut him up and let him cook. Or if he were a weak cook but was so likeable and funny and charming, he could co-host with someone because people would want to watch him.

But he's already got a huge groundswell of UNsupport from the viewers and he's been extremely mediocre on all of the challenges that actually entailed, you know, FOOD. (Though I will give him this ... I totally disagreed with the judges this week re" mozzarella vs. blue cheese ... I actually thought the pizza pockets looked good with that gooey cheese. And while, yes, blue cheese is the dipping sauce you associate here, blue cheese itself in the pocket would just be nasty). 

For whatever they want to claim, this show has been going more and more and more towards the "network STAR" side of things and more and more away from the "food" part of the equation. I can't figure out how on earth Matthew could fit into a show that people would want to watch unless it's something like "Beat Bobby Flay" except it would be "Beat Matthew Grunwald and you get to beat him over the head with a baseball bat as your prize." 

Glad that Rusty really imploded this episode as well. And man, his teeth are fugly. He's gross and always looks a little dirty and I don't think I'd want to eat anything he made. 

And Amy is just a hot mess. 

Please do the right thing, FNS nation. I'm ready to set up my DTV to tape anything and everything that Jason is on right now. Lord honey, bring me that maple bacon syrup. 

• Love 6

Thank Newborn Jesus Amy is out. I was a bit surprised with the decision but I was glad to see her get sent home. Amy is the only woman left who is Scarlett Johansson with her attitude, behavior, and cooking skills. I would love to see Jason win the whole thing, but I would also like to see Matthew get the boot.

I give Matthew credit, he has done well this season. I thought he was far and away the best this episode. If he wins he'll do some online stuff and the occasional guest judging on other shows. Which is pretty much all the winners except Guy do. Something about Jason grates, but I do find his food interesting and would probably try to make some it.

• Love 5

When Jason commented last night about Matthew and how badly he wants to win the show, it made me think about past contestants.  I don't believe there has ever been anyone with the persistence of Matthew.  He was far and away the best in last night's two challenges.  I can really see him winning and being used for Social Media and judging type things.  

The guy has resting bitch face so he looks like he is sneering a lot of the time, even when he is being quiet and listening.

It seemed like it was killing Gee-Ah-Da to have to compliment Matthew.  I think she really detests him.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, GenL said:

Yes, he didn't know what Loco Moco was but he knew what a plate lunch is.  Why is he faking stupid?  It is not endearing. 

• Love 5

I have heard Loco Moco mentioned on one of these FN shows, but couldn't tell you what exactly it it.  That doesn't make a person stupid.  In fact the first time I heard someone say it, it sounded like CoCo Loco.  That is a specialty drink served on a Royal Caribbean cruise when you go to CoCo Cay for the day.

• Love 6

I would never watch Matthew on his show. He is so self endearing, arrogant, and smug. He even made fun of somebody for their presentation. 

Here are the shows I would watch:

- I would watch Jason's show. He knows how to cook, while being funny, humorous, and energetic at the same time.

- Although I did not watch Comeback Kitchen, I would also watch the butt he kicked. Or, perhaps I shall say, the lady he beat to get in the finals (Jameka).

- I didn't watch Season 11, but Emilia, the lady with curly brown hair, would have been a heck of a good show host. She seems calm and relaxed.

- I loved Nancy Fuller, but not as a judge. Is her show still on?

- I would watch Tregaye's show, unlike most Previouslies. I just can't get enough of her "on fleek" personality. Her cooking was also pretty good.

- Damiano is also another good person I would watch, even though I think he is a bit folksy.

Next episode, I really hope Matthew not only gets the boot, but is banned from FN forever. If he wins, I will only be watching certain shows on Food Network.