Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Sunny's Kitchen Hacks

• Start Topic

First, the finalists pair up and take on a typical shopping budget problem while creating an Instagram Story about their shopping trip, with special guest Hannah Hart helping Giada De Laurentiis and Bobby Flay judge their efforts. Then it's time for Sunny Anderson to hit the Food Network Star kitchen, bringing several of her favorite problem-solving segments from The Kitchen for the finalists to perform in front of a studio audience.

Well, pat my butter and call me Paula Deen! "Eye-talian" aside, Jason didn't bug me that much this week. He did well on the faux-Kitchen demo.

Cory on the other hand... Dude, you're not impressing me with the "I'm so awesome, I never use a *shudder* grocery store product!" attitude. Just cook and get on with it.

I should know better than to ask, but... why was Giada wearing a circa-mid-90's Victoria's Secret nightie at the judges' table?

• Love 17

Giada's romper outfit for the Sunny's hack segment looked more appropriate for her daughter. How old is Jade these days?

Once again Matthew gets off scot-free for trying to take over a presentation segment and the female gets scolded. Speaking of Matthew and presentations, what is an Instagram story?

Giada rolled her eyes when one of Cory's tips was to leave the skin on the vegetables when steaming (or whatever it was) because that is where the vitamins are. What's up with that?

• Like 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

So, I'm not sure what happened.  One moment I was watching Food Network Star on the Food Network, and then something must have happened because my TV flipped over to Cinemax, cause there was some stripper or something barely wearing a purple, lace-up almost-dress ... oh wait, that was Giada?  Never mind.  

I still think Jason does the best job of being on-camera, but his non-dessert dishes are not that strong.  Thus, I do not see how he can win, although it is possible he could make it to a final 3 or 2 or whatever, and TPTB will then choose a final challenge that speak to his strengths.  

Cory -- I hadn't really paid that much attention to him before this, but his dismissal of ::shudder:: canned crescent rolls was so condescending.  I guess he won't be co-hosting Semi-Homemade anytime soon.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 8
(edited)
46 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

Why won't Matthew go away?

I really wish I knew. I have disliked him since the first time he showed up on my television screen in Cutthroat Kitchen. And yet he's STILL HERE. The obnoxious little smirk that he wears on his face all of the time make my skin crawl. He just acts like he is so much better than everything else and seriously needs to been taken down a peg or two. Ugh. 

Also, it cracked me up when Sunny revealed the tiny cast iron skillet and Jason asked if that was the actual vessel... and she was like "this isn't Cutthroat Kitchen!"  Because I've seen way too many episodes of that show and that's the first thing I thought too. 

Edited by srpturtle80
Forgot about the part with the tiny skillet :)
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, srpturtle80 said:

I really wish I knew. I have disliked him since the first time he showed up on my television screen in Cutthroat Kitchen. And yet he's STILL HERE. The obnoxious little smirk that he wears on his face all of the time make my skin crawl. He just acts like he is so much better than everything else and seriously needs to been taken down a peg or two. Ugh. 

They should have let Alton turn him into a Bob to torture.

• Love 5
(edited)

Matthew has called a female contestant "babe" at least twice this season. Stop it!

I actually liked the first two dresses Giada wore. Then we got to the Vagina Table.

Ever since you guys mentioned Giada's penchant for teeny tiny nibbles when tasting, I can't unsee that during judging.

35 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Cory on the other hand... Dude, you're not impressing me with the "I'm so awesome, I never use a *shudder* grocery store product!" attitude. Just cook and get on with it.

That annoyed me so much. Know your audience dude! In addition, it's no wonder he ran out of time during his demo. It looked like he had about eighty seven ingredients in his mise en place.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 8

My question after watching this is how much prep time did they have before starting on the Sunny segment? They were really rough on whichever woman's food processor would not work(not even sure which one it was which shows how interested I was). Sure if you were on a real show, things would be checked out but it seemed like this was planned and they wanted someone to think on their feet. From the clips we saw, Jason's was the only one I would have watched because he is generally funny if a bit over the top and heck, unless someone told us, we wouldn't know his okra was overcooked. (Oh, I slowed down my recording and watched and LBH actually put a piece of okra in her mouth. Now whether she spit it out, we'll never know!) All in all, this show has really gone down the tubes and I am wondering why I am still watching! Probably because Sunday night television is not all that great anyway.

• Love 3
(edited)

Matthew is a terror.  He puts everyone who works with him on the defensive--in the case of tonight, Addie.  What's interesting is that it worked to her advantage in the mini-challenge, forcing her to bring more energy to her presentation, and even to muster the "no" that Matthew needed to hear when he wanted to film himself lying in a shelf of bacon (WTF???).  

Addie's "Hammies" looked good to me, one of the few items I've ever seen on FNS that I'd actually make, let alone eat.  

What was up with Cory tonight?  That business with him interrupting Rusty to talk about JazzFest....so awkward.  And really, you have that little knowledge of refrigerated crescent dough?  Really?  I understand he's a Chef with a capital "C" but tonight he read to me more like a snob.  "My Louisiana cuisine is lighter, using more fresh ingredients," i.e., "Not greasy and heavy like Rusty--er, I mean, Rusty's food."  

Anyway, farewell, Cao-pectate...

Edited by TomCorps
  • Love 15

And once again, someone gets scolded for not gleefully dealing with Matthew's shit. And even if I loved his personality (LOLOL!!) I find the tone of his voice very grating. 

Addie's hammies are all over Pinterest in a million different variations. I have made them and they're really good. Not sure why she called them "hammies" though when she used turkey. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That annoyed me so much. Know your audience dude! In addition, it's no wonder he ran out of time during his demo. It looked like he had about eighty seven ingredients in his mise en place.

Even GZ is more open to supermarket items.  And the number of ingredients he had in something as simple as tomato pie is one reason why I question whether or not he'd fit on TFN.  Everything he makes looks like it has a ton of ingredients so all I see is a lot of money and time even if the dishes are delish.

36 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

My question after watching this is how much prep time did they have before starting on the Sunny segment? They were really rough on whichever woman's food processor would not work(not even sure which one it was which shows how interested I was). Sure if you were on a real show, things would be checked out but it seemed like this was planned and they wanted someone to think on their feet.

Yeah.  From what they showed us, it didn't look like they had much time in between segments.  However, from what Sunny said, it sounds like she just wasn't able to put the top on correctly which is why the machine didn't work.  But I don't know why they pretended like this stuff doesn't happen on TV.  It does.  I've seen it on live-to-tape shows like The Chew and on The Kitchen.

6 minutes ago, Maya said:

And once again, someone gets scolded for not gleefully dealing with Matthew's shit. And even if I loved his personality (LOLOL!!) I find the tone of his voice very grating.

I think I liked Sunny the most I've liked her in a while when she pointed out what an awful position Addie was in because she couldn't really tell him to hush without making things worse.  I really need the panel to point out that every time he jumps in thinking he's "saving" a segment, he's making it worse.  So not only did Addie have low energy, she had to deal with an asshole getting in her way.

Even more reasons to hate Matthew, it looks like his "talk over your partner" schtick is contagious and Cory picked up on it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ninjakid said:

Why won't Matthew go away?

Because no one has rolled him in a carpet and put him in their trunk yet.  Granted I watch too much Dateline but not a bad idea when you think about it.  

• Love 21
38 minutes ago, Maya said:

Addie's hammies are all over Pinterest in a million different variations. I have made them and they're really good. Not sure why she called them "hammies" though when she used turkey. 

So Addie tried to pass off other people's recipes as her own?  I have not gotten to watch yet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Thalia said:

I still think Jason does the best job of being on-camera, but his non-dessert dishes are not that strong.  Thus, I do not see how he can win, although it is possible he could make it to a final 3 or 2 or whatever, and TPTB will then choose a final challenge that speak to his strengths.  

Cory -- I hadn't really paid that much attention to him before this, but his dismissal of ::shudder:: canned crescent rolls was so condescending.  I guess he won't be co-hosting Semi-Homemade anytime soon.  

I agree that Jason does the best job presenting.  He is relaxed and his humor is kept to a minimum.  I like him.  It doesn't matter if he is primarily a desert cook.  FN has many baking shows but the prize here is a feature in their magazine.  No one gets a show anymore. 

Sunny said, I will be interested to see who you send us.  That says the winner will get a guest spot on the Kitchen. 

This show used to be much better.  

• Love 3

I am seriously beginning to think that Matthew already works for FN and is fulfilling an assigned role this time around.  Matthew is not stupid so I find it hard to believe that he doesn't realize that reaching in front of people speaking to the camera and so on is not acceptable.  I also find it odd that Bobby Flay hasn't been affronted by Matthew's ego and smirk.

Cao has had a bad attitude since the first show so I was happy to see her and her dour expressions depart.  I hope Addie goes next.  I don't dislike any of the rest of them but I'm still pulling for Jason.  He may be OTT but he's nice and he's natural.  I like Cory and respect his real-life accomplishments but he's not cut out for "spontaneous" TV.  

Sunny handled her part of the show well except for whatever she had on her head.  Ye gods.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Because no one has rolled him in a carpet and put him in their trunk yet.  Granted I watch too much Dateline but not a bad idea when you think about it.  

OMG, and no one even slapped Matthew on the wrist this week for butting into Addie's presentation after he had already been told last week not to do it!  What happened to the Giada of the first season he was on who actually changed her decision to send him home because he was so insufferable?  Now it's almost like, "Gee, that Matthew, what a card!" and criticizing Addie for not reacting well to it.  I think he's the sabotage this season.  He's there to be an antagonist, to test them.  I hope they're not using him to affect the outcome!  I have been saying for weeks that he is being hired by FN to be a foil this season.  He is not a "real" contestant.

Speaking of train wrecks, I pretty much knew Cao was due to go having been on the bottom more than once already but holy mortification factor with Amy!  Mr. 'Puss and I were rolling!  "Don't call CPS just yet"??  That has to rank up there with Aaron McCargo's epic nosedive train wreck when he attempted some comedy to a group of US service people and instead ended up humiliating himself.  Only he was cringe-worthy, not slapstick funny, like Amy.

2 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I should know better than to ask, but... why was Giada wearing a circa-mid-90's Victoria's Secret nightie at the judges' table?

Oh come on, you know this stuff - Because the show just had to let one slip in after weeks of high necklines, LOL.  They can't help themselves, really.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Even GZ is more open to supermarket items. 

Was thinking the same thing! If he can grin and bear a segment on "party hacks" with Jeff Mauro, Cory can handle a can of crescent rolls. Geez.

24 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Oh come on, you know this stuff - Because the show just had to let one slip in after weeks of high necklines, LOL.  They can't help themselves, really.

Pun intended? LOL 

• Love 1

You guys.  This episode was AWESOME.

Cao rolled into the Food Network studios in the clothing she slept in.  Hawaii lady's hair was sooooo greasy and suddenly not blonde that I don't even remember what she cooked.  The 2 of them looked like hung over college students.  I laughed.

At Sunny's, Cao went radio silence staring into the audience and then started babbling while trying to blend her finger in a shallow dog food bowl.   I laughed.  She didn't cook anything.  I laughed.  She was soooooo bad.  I laughed.   And yet, she would not be the worst of her segment. 

Hawaii lady tells the stage guy she isn't even going to turn the food pro on after he warns her about the lid????????  ...and then decides to turn it on?  I laughed.  Oh and she keeps showing up with a cotton shirt and NOT a tshirt bra on...you can always see the outline through her shirt which after 6 weeks seems absurd.  She can get bras using amazon prime in Hawaii and maybe some shirts that don't look like she slept in them.  She shows her lack of poise when she goes from "hmmm my machine is not working" to "ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Her tip is to starve your kids, no wait don't call child protective services then the epicFucccccKItttttttttt moment of shoving sloppy food in your mouth and then letting us see it hanging out of your mouth like you are stoned, drunk, hammered, hungry and shoving food in your mouth at 3am to stave off puking.  Add greasy hair, buggy eyes and batshit nervous laugh....that was the best trainwreck 20 minutes of TV I've seen on this channel in a long time.

• Love 15

Giada always has to let her girls get some air, doesn't she?

Yeah, Cory came off snobbish re: the crescent rolls. He's not even in the fun part of Louisiana (I'm from there originally), the Cajun/Creole part. Monroe is in NE Louisiana.

Agree with what everyone has said about Matthew. I'll supply the rug if someone supplies the trunk.

So glad Cao was KOed. I can't believe she ever did stand-up with her flat personality.

• Love 7

God. Matthew is insufferable and Bobby Flay's attitude about it was even worse. Sure, he's not going to win and Flay knows it while Addie is one of the 3 people FN is considering for the winner this thing (along with Jason and Cory) but still Flay should REALLY know that it's unbelievably sexist to tell a woman that she needs to look like she enjoys having a man interrupt her on camera. 

(And, yes I know that I'm going to be rooting against Matthew until the finals but he's not the kind of villain I enjoy having on screen.)

• Love 6

In this episode, Matthew actually bothered me the least. Possibly because I was expecting it from him, especially after Bobby told him to "up the Matthew factor," but Jason's "country bumpkin" persona annoyed me for the first time ever, Cory showed the personality I was expecting from watching his pre-show interviews, Addie's "hammies" being billed as something ingenious when I've been making them since childhood (almost the exact same sandwich less the buttered top), made me roll my eyes so hard Giada was copying me when Cory left the skin on, Rusty trying to talk "sexy" while shopping gave me the shutters, and both Annie and Addie (the one with Cao and the one with Matthew who I still can't tell apart) were both cringe-worthy in their presentations. 

I am going to rewatch with @HappyDancex2's post in mind, because laughing at these people is really the only valid response to this shitshow.

• Love 5

Matthew - I know you won't, but I wish you would go away really soon.  I can't afford a new flatscreen at this time.  Other than not liking anything about your personality, I really hate it when cooks refer to their ingredients in first person possessive (i.e. "I take my potatoes and saute them in my duck fat and add my onions to go with my roasted capon"). Oops - Jason just did it.

Giada's white dress was an interesting tie-in with Tom Cruise's recent Mummy movie.

I want crawfish pie.

Matthew sabotaged Addie in their joint presentation, and I'm annoyed the judges all fell for it.  I want a turkey hammy.

Cao and Amy - not good.

What on earth is that laced-up purple dominatrix thing Giada is sporting at the Female-Inspired Table of Doom?

I miss Kermit and Medusa.

Posting in real-time.  Now going back to look at comments.

• Love 6
(edited)

I can't believe that Addie actually APOLOGIZED to Matthew at the end because the judges chastised her for mildly objecting to his interference and making things "uncomfortable." Shows that there really was nothing Amy could've done last week.

Interestingly, none of the judges commented on how Rusty should've been more aggressive with Cory like they told her she had to do last week.

I wish Jamika was here instead.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 8
(edited)
30 minutes ago, rab01 said:

God. Matthew is insufferable and Bobby Flay's attitude about it was even worse. Sure, he's not going to win and Flay knows it while Addie is one of the 3 people FN is considering for the winner this thing (along with Jason and Cory) but still Flay should REALLY know that it's unbelievably sexist to tell a woman that she needs to look like she enjoys having a man interrupt her on camera. 

(And, yes I know that I'm going to be rooting against Matthew until the finals but he's not the kind of villain I enjoy having on screen.)

"Insufferable" is getting close to how annoying he was on Addie's segment.  He not only stuck his nose and big mouth in, but he actually moved over INTO her space, and got in her way as she was trying to do her demo.

I had to laugh when she tossed the potatoes in the pot, and they splashed (I bet the oil wasn't hot, too bad, nice try Addie).  

At this point, every other contestant still there knows Matthew has the propensity to hog the shared screen, if I'm still there, I'm wearing either pointy cowboy boots or spiked heels, to give him a well-shod foot to the shin or instep at an opportune moment.   Twice in a row that the judges let him get away with it was 2x too many, and Corey too....babbling on about music!  Shame on these judges.

Edited by Blonde Gator
typo
  • Love 9

WTH? Why is it Addie’s fault that she didn’t like Matthew butting into her demo? Matthew is such an ass, he think he knows everything, why didn’t they say something to him about taking over other people’s time? Why didn’t they say something to Corey about talking over Rusty? 

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, Christina said:

Rusty trying to talk "sexy" while shopping gave me the shutters

oh this.  I thought he was going to do something really violently inappropriate with what I first thought was a skinny japanese eggplant but what turned out to be a pepper....right before he held it up to his face like a telephone....my brain went "oh no. NO. NOOOOOOOOO.....whew"

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

What on earth is that laced-up purple dominatrix thing Giada is sporting at the Female-Inspired Table of Doom?

I wish nothing but the best for whatever is going on with Giada.   This is either her idea based on what she wants her image to be or she is turning a blind eye to what the producers have reduced her to on the Food Network which seems to be #WhenWillGiada'sBoobsAppearInTheEpisode?BooooooooooooobsBooooooooobsBoooooooobs    I'd rather it be the first because it would at least be her story to tell but this lady is actually a trained chef....it's sad if it's the latter. 

• Love 2

Every once in a while, when Rusty tries to be sexy (?) I get flashbacks to another guy he reminds me of, from a couple seasons ago. 

And it makes it hard to keep watching the show.   Bobby keeps saying that he likes Rusty, that he thinks he's funny -  I don't get it.  They do NOT need another unfiltered, spontaneous guy who will do anything for a laugh. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, backformore said:

Every once in a while, when Rusty tries to be sexy (?) I get flashbacks to another guy he reminds me of, from a couple seasons ago. 

And it makes it hard to keep watching the show.   Bobby keeps saying that he likes Rusty, that he thinks he's funny -  I don't get it.  They do NOT need another unfiltered, spontaneous guy who will do anything for a laugh. 

Let me think - could his name possibly start with an L and end with a Y?

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I wish nothing but the best for whatever is going on with Giada.   This is either her idea based on what she wants her image to be or she is turning a blind eye to what the producers have reduced her to on the Food Network which seems to be #WhenWillGiada'sBoobsAppearInTheEpisode?BooooooooooooobsBooooooooobsBoooooooobs    I'd rather it be the first because it would at least be her story to tell but this lady is actually a trained chef....it's sad if it's the latter. 

This may be flagged as inappropriate, and if so, please, MODs, do delete.  On my private Gator board, we have an emote for EXACTLY this type of situation.  Perhaps here, we could name it "Giada".

2bag-Gif.gif

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

This may be flagged as inappropriate, and if so, please, MODs, do delete.  On my private Gator board, we have an emote for EXACTLY this type of situation.  Perhaps here, we could name it "Giada".

2bag-Gif.gif

Where?  We wanna see.

3 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

She dresses that way on her own shows, too. I don't think it is the producers, I think she likes the style and thinks she looks good. As Dolly Parton once says, "It costs a lot to look this cheap!"

• Love 12

One has to wonder who Matthew is related to at FN.  Or at least I do. 

I can see myself growing to like other contestants but Matthew....not so much.  It's one thing to be confident in oneself but to one up those around you non-stop is not entertaining to me.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Giada's romper outfit for the Sunny's hack segment looked more appropriate for her daughter. How old is Jade these days?

Are we positive it wasn't the daughter's?   That outfit was tiny and, well, Giada looked as though she needed a bowl of pasta (and not just one of her tiny plates -- I mean a bowl).  

The only thing I saw her put on her fork was a teeny tiny piece of okra that could hide in the shadow of a black bean. 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I slowed down my recording and watched and LBH actually put a piece of okra in her mouth.

57 minutes ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

The only thing I saw her put on her fork was a teeny tiny piece of okra that could hide in the shadow of a black bean. 

LOL  I rewound about five times to watch Giada suck that sliver of okra out of the miniscule portion of food on the very end of her fork.  Giada not eating the food is now my favorite part of this show.  I think the editors are having a good time with that as well.

Both parts of the show were interesting, although I didn't think the "Budget Challenge" was all that painful, with the amounts of cash they were given.  But then, I've been on an extremely tight budget before, combing through Walmart to make an interesting tasty meal for pennies--a family of four could feast on $20, if you know what you're doing.  And hello, chicken breast tenderloins are NOT cheaper than chicken breast.

Edited by candall
  • Love 8

My thoughts on Matthew are:  the powers-that-be are letting him get away with lots of underhanded stuff that puts the focus on him.  But, they don't want to cut him yet.  They're waiting until near the end when the winner of "Star Redemption" rejoins the cast.  That way, he'll be gone instead of going into the second-chance competition.

• Love 5

I knew it was Cao. Her food was just too bland. I've had enough of her, but part of me is also sorry to go.

Okay, I can't believe that Matthew is taking his time to make fun of Addie by invading her personal space. Like last week with Amy. This has got to stop, and I hope they force Matthew to go home next. I've heard enough of Matthew trying to hit Addie in the vagina while she was presenting.

I really want to see Suzanne get another chance here. I know people didn't like her, but she was brave, competent, and skillful, so I liked her.

I liked Sunny's hair in this episode. She reminded me of Nikki Minaj.

IMO, I can't stand one bit of Rusty. He acts around hollering and acting crazy, so unfortunately, the vagina table isn't for you.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, suebee12 said:

My question after watching this is how much prep time did they have before starting on the Sunny segment? They were really rough on whichever woman's food processor would not work(not even sure which one it was which shows how interested I was). Sure if you were on a real show, things would be checked out but it seemed like this was planned and they wanted someone to think on their feet

They showed the stagehand warning her about it and her not being concerned.  Which is of course the clearest sign in all of reality-dom that it would be a problem.  It does happen, but she had the opportunity to be be cautious and wasn't. I know she had a lot to think about, but you can't take stuff for granted.

That said, I'm sure they wouldn't have docked her for it if she had covered with something better than a "starve your kids" joke.

1 hour ago, candall said:

Both parts of the show were interesting, although I didn't think the "Budget Challenge" was all that painful, with the amounts of cash they were given.  But then, I've been on an extremely tight budget before, combing through Walmart to make an interesting tasty meal for pennies--a family of four could feast on $20, if you know what you're doing.  And hello, chicken breast tenderloins are NOT cheaper than chicken breast.

"Today we're making dinner with chicken thighs, broccoli, kidney beans, and brown rice. A well-rounded meal for about 1/3 the price of what Food Network considers 'budget'."

I actually get a little annoyed by FN's feints. Their cheap isn't that cheap. Their healthy isn't that healthy. And their concept of what home cooks know is downright insulting. It makes these things easy to check off on their to-do list, but doesn't win any points with me.

• Love 7
(edited)

I saw Giada slurp up one okra nibble. So there's that. Then I realized she needs to stop wearing dresses that show her knees. Or invest in some Gold Bond for Nubby Skin.

I'm sick of Matthew taking over. Addie isn't long for this world now, thanks to him. Bobby complimenting him made me gag up my Neeco wafers. :)

Cory was off his game, that's not the guy I know. I was really wishing one of them would have made my hot dog crescents:

Marinate 4 hot dogs in 1/4 cup equal portions of honey and dijon grain mustard overnight. Open 1 can of Crescent Rolls, keeping two triangles together. Wrap each hot dog in one Crescent rectangle blanket, rolling up to encase the hot dog. Bake in preheated 350 degreen oven for 30 minutes or until Crescent is golden brown.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

Bobby complimenting him made me gag up my Neeco

I did think it was really hilarious when Bobby started off with a compliment and then was like "but you need to..." and Matthew's face just fell.  He looked like he was sucking lemons the whole time after that.  And Bobby's critiques weren't even that bad!  I don't know if it was editing or if that's what Matthew really did but I found it highly amusing.

• Love 2

I wanted to smash Matthew's face with David's cast iron skillet.  I just can't believe that the judges chastised Addie for appearing to dislike Matthew's hoggish interruption of her segment.

Jason may be good at presenting, but his food looked mediocre.  I know, I know, the Food Network is not about the food.

• Love 2

I'm not sure who I would watch from this bunch.  I don't like the "swole" guy simply because I don't like that term.  I don't like Matthew because I don't like his smirk.  I don't like Rusty because he's too over the top.  None of the rest really stand out for me.

• Love 1

I can't decide if "gravy aioli" sounds awesome or disgusting.

Chekhov's food processor ... there's no way they'd have shown the stage hand setting it up if it wasn't going to play a part later on in the show.

• Love 14

Blonde Gator - the "Giada" showed up on this computer which I'm using at the Library - and there are a number of things that don't seem to be too bad that the Library computer won't show.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Maya said:

12 hours ago, rab01 said:

11 hours ago, GaT said:

WTH? Why is it Addie’s fault that she didn’t like Matthew butting into her demo? Matthew is such an ass, he think he knows everything, why didn’t they say something to him about taking over other people’s time? Why didn’t they say something to Corey about talking over Rusty? 

1 hour ago, susannot said:

I wanted to smash Matthew's face with David's cast iron skillet.  I just can't believe that the judges chastised Addie for appearing to dislike Matthew's hoggish interruption of her segment.

Far be it from me to defend Matthew (and I'm not - he's still way too immature and self-important), but his camera-hogging is a whole separate issue from how Addie and others handle it. On these group shows, there's back and forthing and cross talk aplenty (in a mostly good way, not the awkward way Matthew's doing it) and it comes across as friendly, engaged banter. Audiences are used to that. The problem with Addie seizing up when Matthew jumped in (and Rusty to an extent, when Corey did it to him) is that it made the whole thing even more awkward and cringe-inducing. And it made THEM look bad and sullen for not wanting to engage with their cohost. Again, I'm not saying Matthew did the right thing or did it well or that they shouldn't have *felt* put out by it, I'm just talking about the optics of *showing* those feelings.  I think these guys would all be well-served by taking some improv classes before going on a show like this and practice the "yes, and..." mentality. When you're in front of an audience, you never say no or freeze when your partner says or does something that you think is stupid or throws off the plan you had in your head for the scene, you take whatever they give you and build on it (yes, and...) and/or find a way to connect it back to what you're trying to do. When Corey started yammering about Jazzfest being the gateway to summer, Rusty could have agreed and said "yes, and to great summer food like these crawfish pies" and kept going. When Matthew grabs the gravy and a sandwich and starts noshing, instead of putting her hand up, saying "excuse me," and shutting down, she could have smiled and said, "I told you these things are good. He can't even wait til they're ready!" laughed and continued on. 

I'm not saying I don't understand their frustration when Matthew jumps in to "save" them (or that I wouldn't freeze like a deer in the headlights if he did it to me). I'm just saying you will never come out of it looking good if you shut down/freeze out the interruption. You'll look awkward at best and sullen at worst. Roll with it and let HIM be the one who comes off looking awkward. I'm picturing Matthew doing that to Jason in a presentation. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine Jason missing a beat. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 19