Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: All-Terrain Eats

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Psychobunny said:

Here is my theory.  Every knew that Suzanne had to go.  However, I think that her baklava actually tasted good.  We saw the judges praise the filling and the sauce (or whatever you call the honey drizzled on it).  I think she also seemed to have a tie in with the triangle shape that looked like little mountains.  They therefore had to come up with some reason to criticize her food so it wouldn't look like they were tossing a good cook.  Therefore, they came up with the "too dry" excuse (which neither of the other judges noticed until Giada pointed it out even though they were eating the dessert).  They also needed to point out that she hadn't explained what baklava was. Then they had an even better reason to dump her.  Then again, I may be overthinking things.

I half watched this show again with Mr. 'Puss tonight because he couldn't watch it last night - I noticed how the judges were laughing at Suzanne and not in a good way as they watched her presentation.  I knew that was a sure sign that no matter how good her baklava tasted she was going home.  I think it actually tasted good but the pastry did look a little too dry on top for baklava.  Although they did show her slathering it with butter so I'm not sure how it got that way.  Maybe she didn't put enough.  Bobby said something about her not knowing how to stretch a recipe to serve a lot of people because she wasn't a restaurant chef.  She was a total train wreck and her mantra was "it's so unfair".  I don't think it was.  I didn't see much to like about her based on what we saw.  Penny Lite indeed!

• Love 1

I was prepared to give the new and improved Matt a chance, but not anymore.

I just can't take that rubbery-mouthed smirk he wears when he thinks he's being engaging.

Eminently punchable.

• Love 19
43 minutes ago, TDT said:

So who here has gone hiking in "The Mountain Of The Middle East"..? lol Hopefully Suzanne doesnt try out for Masterchef

Actually I just did, a couple weeks ago :)

That said, the way Suzanne talked about it was SUPER random and the tie-in to her dessert was pretty threadbare.

2 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Actually I just did, a couple weeks ago :)

That said, the way Suzanne talked about it was SUPER random and the tie-in to her dessert was pretty threadbare.

Sometimes there's a teensy-weensy spark of potential in a contestant, but absolutely nothing with Suzanne.  Did another participant drop out at the last minute?

• Love 4
Just now, spiderpig said:

Sometimes there's a teensy-weensy spark of potential in a contestant, but absolutely nothing with Suzanne.  Did another participant drop out at the last minute?

Dollars to donuts they thought they had another Penny on their hands and were salivating at the thought of the online snark... I mean, "buzz."

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Dollars to donuts they thought they had another Penny on their hands and were salivating at the thought of the online snark... I mean, "buzz."

Yeah...in the media world there's no such thing as bad publicity.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:03 PM, ivygirl said:

...And Southern Bieber lives to cook another day.

Au revoir, Penny 2.0. You just go ahead and believe that a little more butter would have saved you.

I know my lack of Jason love is often at a table of one here, but my concern from the bake off seems to have borne out: he's cranking up the "southern charm." It's too much for me.

It's so over the top that it comes across as phony. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I wouldn't want to sit through an entire program of that. As for Suzanne, even if her dish had turned out okay, I would want her gone because I'm sick of her whining and complaining. 

• Love 5

Trace has to be a child beauty pageant coach. I swear he was in at least seventeen episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras screaming "Work those facials!" at mugging be-flippered children who wanted to crown.

I was hoping he'd reveal that to explain "Pen-NAY" was short for JonPenne Ramsey, his tribune to that sad little girl who never escaped from the pasta forest.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, J-Man said:

I would agree with you about Suzanne, but apparently Nancy won an episode of "Cutthroat Kitchen," so at least she demonstrated SOME cooking ability. Although winning that show is dependent on things other than just culinary skills.

I looked up Suzanne's bio on the FN site, and guess what? She won "Cutthroat Kitchen" too. So maybe it's not such an impressive credential.

11 hours ago, wings707 said:

I got the feeling they were losing interest or at least not as wowed as they are with others.  They go for big personalities.   

The one who will be the best judge on GGG will win. 

Yeah, I don't see Addie as FN material for the same reason.  Too restrained. Big Rusty, on the other hand would be a natural hooping and hollering at some State Fair BBQ cook-off or tailgate party. I don't think he'll win this show, but I could see FN adding them to their roster of guest judges and people willing to eat a hamburger bigger than their head.

Agree that this week's challenge was really dumb, but it proved once again that you can pretty much ignore the challenge as long as you cook a dish the judges like. That's a better strategy than following the challenge to the letter and failing with a dish you've never made before. At which point, you never hear the judges say," You're food was bad, but you followed the challenge, so you're safe."

David's got a good shtick going. Whatever the challenge, he can say, "I'm bringing Jamaica to............"  (fill in the blank)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Christina said:

Truffle oil tastes like paint thinner smells. There are some that are made with real truffles, but I don't think I've ever had that kind. 

D'Artagnan has a pretty good rep for quality products, and they sell truffle oil.  Anybody ever try it?

(Their truffle butter is delish, BTW.)

7 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Here is my theory.  Every knew that Suzanne had to go.  However, I think that her baklava actually tasted good.  We saw the judges praise the filling and the sauce (or whatever you call the honey drizzled on it).  I think she also seemed to have a tie in with the triangle shape that looked like little mountains.  They therefore had to come up with some reason to criticize her food so it wouldn't look like they were tossing a good cook.  Therefore, they came up with the "too dry" excuse (which neither of the other judges noticed until Giada pointed it out even though they were eating the dessert).  They also needed to point out that she hadn't explained what baklava was. Then they had an even better reason to dump her.  Then again, I may be overthinking things.

It was pointed out in the kitchen that the top sheet was just flaking off. That's a decent sign that the problem was real. I think Giada just did the technique of positives before negatives.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

D'Artagnan has a pretty good rep for quality products, and they sell truffle oil.  Anybody ever try it?

(Their truffle butter is delish, BTW.)

Do they have that at Trader Joe's? 

12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I was prepared to give the new and improved Matt a chance, but not anymore.

I just can't take that rubbery-mouthed smirk he wears when he thinks he's being engaging.

Eminently punchable.

Yes, I know the expression you mean. It's when I see a resemblance to Andy Samberg's character on Brooklyn 99.

• Love 5

The difference with Jason on this show vs. the baking challenge: here they're looking for a "story"....a "personality".  On the baking challenge it was all about how well you could bake....period. 

Jason can bake....but otherwise, it's too tooooo much when he opens his mouth.

Remember in the early days of this show they actually had skill ( oh the horror!!!)  challenges? I remember one contestant eliminated because she didn't know how to properly clean a squid. 

Foodnetwork has become unwatchable.

• Love 2

I was thinking about the comments here (and craving good baclava).  So, for lunch, I went to a local chain (30 restaurants in Charlotte, NC) and for an extra $1.50, tossed in the below.     I didn't drive to the better Israeli place or the amazing Lebanese place -- I went to a huge chain.  I think more people in America know what baclava is or have at least known it was an alternative to Bundt cake from My Big Fat Greek Wedding than the judges realize.   (I can get pho, but that isn't in my tiny South Carolina suburb.)  Sure, it didn't have imported Greek honey and there were more walnuts than pistachios, but it had lots of butter below the layers of phyllo.  And it was in a mountainous triangle.  I think the judges know who will be going when and have already picked the winner (Matthew) with a spare in case they need one (mini-Martha).

baclava.jpg

• Love 2
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

Do they have that at Trader Joe's? 

TJ's had black and white truffle oils for a hot minute about 10 years ago.  I've only seen truffle butter at D'Artagnan.  $9.99 for 3 oz. plus $43 shipping.

19 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

TJ's had black and white truffle oils for a hot minute about 10 years ago.  I've only seen truffle butter at D'Artagnan.  $9.99 for 3 oz. plus $43 shipping.

I like plain butter just fine!  I would like to taste a real black truffle at some point in my life.  It isn't going to happen in Phoenix though.  LOL  

(edited)
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I like plain butter just fine!  I would like to taste a real black truffle at some point in my life.  It isn't going to happen in Phoenix though.  LOL  

If @Mellowyellow is checking this board out, I think Australia is developing a truffle industry.  I wonder how truffles would work on baklava. ETA:  or with Vegemite.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

If @Mellowyellow is checking this board out, I think Australia is developing a truffle industry.  I wonder how truffles would work on baklava. ETA:  or with Vegemite.

LMAO! Terrible stuff.  

(edited)

ZZZZzzzzz.  This show was borrrring.  I think the tech department was gifted with a new toy that would allow them to pretend to travel to a jungle, complete with jungle sounds, and they wanted to show it off.  Personally, I would have had a hard time choosing between the jungle and a forest.  There's not a big difference there.

Addie made good team choices, but she's serious as a pope and lacks personality.  The big guy (Rob?) reminds me of countless other contestants from the past who came on like gangbusters and blew us away -- but couldn't cook too well. Jason, albeit a favorite of mine, showed a touch of ego in this show by both bragging and referring to himself in the third person.  Mama Detroit never stood a chance and probably never should have been on this show.  She was overwhelmed from the start.  Cory hurt himself by sacrificing his own presentation time to fit the others in.  More and more, he's becoming the one I would watch on a show of his own.  He cooks masterfully, has a great personality, and I love the way his face crinkles up when he laughs!  A crush, you say?  Could be!  :)

What was Giada dressed as?  A bluebird?  I thought she'd fly off any minute and wish she had.  Her dresses!!!  If she isn't showing off her "girls," she's sprouting wings from her sleeves.  Oh yes, and she's a blonde this week.  *Yawn*

I intend to keep watching because I don't want to miss seeing "Chef Matthew" sent home!  I'd like to wipe that smirk off his face, but I imagine he'll lose it with his dismissal.  Talk about an EGO!  I hope he's still on the bottom of the Viewers' Poll.

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, wings707 said:

LMAO! Terrible stuff.  

Awful, but it's like Marmite for the Brits.  I sent a package to Iraq in the early part of the 2000's for a friend of mine, his roommate was a major in the Aussie SAS.  All he wanted was Vegemite, which I did manage to find and include in the box for the "boys". 

I have tasted truffle oil, and not a fan.  I didn't realize it was like vanilla extract, where there is the real thing, then "fake" stuff, made with pretty nasty chemicals.  This convo should probably go to small talk, so I'll stop.

• Love 1

The shoulders on Giada's dress were right out of the classic Carol Burnett "Gone with the Wind" bit.

What was more surprising, however, was the complete lack of cleavage.  I seriously don't think that's ever happened before.  Of course, she compensated by turning the headlights onto high beam.

Yeah.  I'm pretty much only watching at this point to bust on lil' pumpkin head.

• Love 4
(edited)

That big screen background  feature reminded me of Edward G Robinson in the death theater in Soylent Green. Unfortunately, the dishes in this episode also seemed to emanate from that film.

Matt is better than the previous season. That being said, he is still a flaming jerk, just not as big a jerk as he was. Any show, webcast, or episode of GGG that he might end up on will be unwatchable.

Chef Mamma Suzanne reminded me of the famous Ralph Kramden "Chef of the Future" when she was doing her video. Her food reminded me of the Honeymooners episode with Kran-mars mystery appetizer, as did a few of the other contestants dishes.

The old battleaxe was annoying, and an idiot. My guess is she bussed tables at the NASA cafeteria. 

Jason seemed nice in the first episode, but his act is getting old real quick, He really needs to tone it down.

Trace Bieber just looks like he needs a haircut and a shave. He comes across as a dirty stumblebum with that look.

I really don't see a star in this group at all.

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

That big screen background  feature reminded me of Edward G Robinson in the death theater in Soylent Green

YES!!!! Thank you, it's been driving me nuts as to why it seemed so creepily familiar.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

YES!!!! Thank you, it's been driving me nuts as to why it seemed so creepily familiar.

And throw in a dash of Arnold Schwartzeneggar's house in Total Recall, where he could change picture-window views with the click of a remote.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2017 at 2:08 AM, HappyDancex2 said:

The guys being SO patronizing to her at the end of her take waiting for her to say "phyllo".....   No

Maybe it came across to you as patronizing but I thought they were all being pretty nice considering that they probably all wanted to kill her at that point.

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, Maverick said:

And if you don't like the food, the chef will come out in a sports bra and leotard and try to kill you with a kitchen knife. 

Now there's a show I would watch!

• Love 2

Fresh shaved truffles are more about the smell they impart on the dish you are eating than the actual taste of the shavings themselves.  It's a heavy aromatic smell that fills your nose as you are eating....the shavings themselves can range from tasteless to gritty to slightly shroomy depending on type of truffle and the season.  IMO   I know I'm supposed to be more excited about them but I'm not.  At least not for the price!

i would take a perfectly browned button mushroom in olive oil and salt any day.

i think they just keep bottles of the stuff on these shows for talking point fodder.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, anniebird said:

Maybe it came across to you as patronizing but I thought they were all being pretty nice considering that they probably all wanted to kill her at that point.

I totally agree. If there were any women on the team, they would have been every bit as frustrated with her. It seemed to me like they were actually trying to help her, because she was struggling so much. She used up several minutes of their time, and they only showed us two minutes of it. 

The two blonde women (forgot their names and didn't bother to look them up) have said some pretty negative things about the others during their talking heads. I know that the producers will poke and prod to get those responses, but so do the contestants and they can refuse to say things that trash their competitors if they want to. Last year, Eddie had to say something negative about his partner in a challenge, and I remember thinking how nicely he did it, by saying something like, "It was bad, she knew it was bad and I didn't want to kick her while she was down so I said it was good. She knew it wasn't." It was such a nice way of saying she screwed up and was the result of their team failure, when she was hanging on by a thread emotionally at the time. I'm pretty sure it was after the poking and prodding by the producer. Some have no problem trashing others, and it is part of the reason to watch this show. It's expected by now. I certainly don't watch it to get an idea for dinner.

The team leader on this challenge actually stopped the other guy who wanted to do desert to ask what she wanted to do, then selected her plan (again, forgot their names and didn't bother to look them up). Last week, one of the men (Matt?) said that she was flummoxed when she was made to do something she wasn't comfortable making, so he was trying to support her choice. She was obviously not going to make it to the end, so there was no reason for any of them to sabotage her. She just didn't have the chops for this competition.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

I was thinking about the comments here (and craving good baclava).  So, for lunch, I went to a local chain (30 restaurants in Charlotte, NC) and for an extra $1.50, tossed in the below.     I didn't drive to the better Israeli place or the amazing Lebanese place -- I went to a huge chain.  I think more people in America know what baclava is or have at least known it was an alternative to Bundt cake from My Big Fat Greek Wedding than the judges realize.   (I can get pho, but that isn't in my tiny South Carolina suburb.)  Sure, it didn't have imported Greek honey and there were more walnuts than pistachios, but it had lots of butter below the layers of phyllo.  And it was in a mountainous triangle.  I think the judges know who will be going when and have already picked the winner (Matthew) with a spare in case they need one (mini-Martha).

baclava.jpg

Your picture of baklava from a chain store looks SO much more inviting and tasty than the one she made.  She really had to go. 

I agree with you that baklava doesn't sound all that exotic to me but I live in New York and every deli and even most bodegas sell it here so what do I know.  I disagree about Matthew; I think he will go very far because he gives the production good sound bites and interviews to work with but he is not getting a winner's edit.

• Love 3

I hope the post above me was written about Giada because I never can resist a well-placed pot shot if I can think of one.  Some poster up-page mentioned Giada, and I'm still thinking about her.  She hasn't been her usual flirty self lately.  Maybe something has gone wrong with her and her latest married lover, a techie on the FN.  Acc'ding to the columns, the two are waiting for him to divorce before going public.  Actually, I've lost interest in her ever since I realized that her "busty-ness" was merely a push-up bra.  In a T-shirt, she's straight up and down.  As Jason might say, "Wah, that's as sad as a big bowl-a beans without bacon."

Speaking of food, did anyone notice Giada pretending to "eat" one of the dishes, and we saw her take the tiniest little nibble?  It was so little that she never could have tasted that dish.  How in the world can she be a judge when she doesn't even eat a bite?  I noticed that she let Bobby take the lead in the comments, and then she agreed with what he said.  No wonder!  She had no idea what it tasted like!  I say they should send her home next.  At least "Detroit Mama" did what was asked of her!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lura said:

Speaking of food, did anyone notice Giada pretending to "eat" one of the dishes, and we saw her take the tiniest little nibble?  It was so little that she never could have tasted that dish.  How in the world can she be a judge when she doesn't even eat a bite?  I noticed that she let Bobby take the lead in the comments, and then she agreed with what he said.  No wonder!  She had no idea what it tasted like!  I say they should send her home next.  At least "Detroit Mama" did what was asked of her!

This is the main reason I don't like Giada on this show. She adds nothing. We're not here to watch her wardrobe choices (I'm not, anyway), if she cannot eat the food she's supposed to judge, she needs to be replaced.

• Love 7
On 6/18/2017 at 9:11 PM, mlp said:

Also, I have no idea what baklava has to do with mountains.

It doesn't but it could! I was thinking about this. If she swapped pistachios for other (or added to) nuts that were more associated with mountains (pine? hazelnut?) and then used a "wild mountain honey" even if it wasn't, she could've brought something interesting and tied it in to the theme. That said, the judges didn't really care about matching the theme. Jungle gratin? Desert duck? uuuh ok.

I've liked the challenges a lot better this season, so far at least. But I have been really underwhelmed with the food. Pretty boring. (Addy's lavender things from last week is the only thing that has seemed a little more creative than the usual FN stuff. ) I want to see more interesting flavors, not truffle oil and ahi tuna with avocado.

• Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Maybe she should have placed her baklava on it's side so it looked like a little mountain.

Totally cute! With maybe a garnish of crumbled green pistachios as pebbles/grass/foothills whatever.

Jason is a lot more Jason-y than on the Holiday Baking Championship. It's definitely dialed up and I personally don't think he needs ALL of that, but I still like him and I think he's a quirky but genuine person riding the wave. On HBC he started off making these recipes like bean pie (taste just like pecans!) and he learned what the judges wanted and adjusted his approach and improved throughout. I remember thinking (and posting) at the beginning that the guy had no chance with his depression era desserts but by the end it was clear he would win, because he did well (and because FN desperately wanted a home baker to win for once). It's all about timing. FWIW I would love to see a show about depression era desserts but I'm willing to admit that historical food is pretty niche.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:20 PM, cooksdelight said:

It used to be, even as recently as a few seasons ago. Once they started duct-taping candy bars to a guy, the show died.

LOL Seriously? How did I miss that? I skipped last season. This show used to be an audition for a show, but how it's an audition for a hosting/judge gig. They've definitely pulled back judging based on "food authority". Clearly.

Edited by Refresh
"for once"
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Refresh said:

I remember thinking (and posting) at the beginning that the guy had no chance with his depression era desserts but by the end it was clear he would win, because he did well (and because FN desperately wanted a home baker to win for once). It's all about timing. FWIW I would love to see a show about depression era desserts but I'm willing to admit that historical foo

Depression-era cooking is fascinating.  My favorite grandma-treat was molasses cookies, made without eggs or butter.  She also rolled them out on used Wonder Bread wax paper wrappers.  Feeding a family of six on no money and ration books inspired a lot of creativity.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Refresh said:

Totally cute! With maybe a garnish of crumbled green pistachios as pebbles/grass/foothills whatever.

Jason is a lot more Jason-y than on the Holiday Baking Championship. It's definitely dialed up and I personally don't think he needs ALL of that, but I still like him and I think he's a quirky but genuine person riding the wave. On HBC he started off making these recipes like bean pie (taste just like pecans!) and he learned what the judges wanted and adjusted his approach and improved throughout. I remember thinking (and posting) at the beginning that the guy had no chance with his depression era desserts but by the end it was clear he would win, because he did well (and because FN desperately wanted a home baker to win for once). It's all about timing. FWIW I would love to see a show about depression era desserts but I'm willing to admit that historical food is pretty niche.

LOL Seriously? How did I miss that? I skipped last season. This show used to be an audition for a show, but how it's an audition for a hosting/judge gig. They've definitely pulled back judging based on "food authority". Clearly.

I'm still really annoyed (angry?) that the judges didn't make a peep about Mini-Martha's mango skin garnish.  She seriously could have sent someone to the hospital with that, if they'd not known that for some people, it's pure poison!!!!  How does THAT equate to being a food authority, Martha?  It's stupidity, pure and simple, not to mention a *ahem* bit of a liability!  I watched twice, just to be sure I was seeing what I saw.  And I did!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Depression-era cooking is fascinating.  My favorite grandma-treat was molasses cookies, made without eggs or butter.  She also rolled them out on used Wonder Bread wax paper wrappers.  Feeding a family of six on no money and ration books inspired a lot of creativity.

I have a recipe that was my rreat-grandfather's during WWII.  He & his wife (new one, not G-grandma) baked them at home, and sold them like hotcakes during WWII.  They're known as "Sandies" in our family, and were super popular to send overseas, because they didn't break up, nor get very stale, They're a kind of a shortbread cookie, but there's a secret ingredient missing (so said my mom who tasted them).  In my grandmother's little notebook, they're called "OUR FAVORITE COOKIES" because of their history, alas, as most old recipes are....it's merely a list of ingredients, no instructions.  I have a friend who is a baker, who was playing around with them, and they were quite delicious, just the way they came out.

Totally agree, some of the old recipes are fascinating.  Actually, that might be a pretty great "schtick" for FNS.  As long as the contestant could actually cook other stuff as well.  I"m sure you're a Top Chef fan, I loved the South Carolina old school themed challenges they did this year.  Fun to watch, and something new for the foodie viewer as well.

• Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

I'm still really annoyed (angry?) that the judges didn't make a peep about Mini-Martha's mango skin garnish. 

I had no idea mango skins can be poisonous. Really interesting and glad that you brought this up. The more you know!

I rewatched too ( because that does seem irresponsible) and while the mango skin definitely appeared on 1) the "hero" version that they style and photograph close up to announce the dish (and put on the web site etc.), and 2) in the version in her video (likely the same one). I looked closely to see if the plates that went to the judges and the guests had the mango skin on them, and it didn't look like they did. At one point Jadda talks and they show her plate and there's definitely no mango skin on that dish (and her body is in the shot so it's not a cut away). There are just flowers, meat, sauces. Though I was like a freak on the pause button and i was looking for this specifically, so .... realistically what viewer is doing that? Right? It's misleading.

So maybe Addie intentionally only used it for styling? Or someone told her to take it off prior to service for the dishes? Or she realized that she didn't have enough mango skin to poison/garnish everyone's plates with so she didn't put it on so the dishes would be consistent? Doubt we'll ever know...

Edited by Refresh
added body in the shot/spelling
  • Love 3

I absolutely love the attention to detail displayed on this board.  Can we all get adjoining rooms in The Home, or Hell, or wherever we're headed next?  Think of all the fun we'll have.

With my luck, Matt will be my roommate.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Hahahaha Nooooo! Not Hashtag Matt!

#comeback #unwelcomecomback #unnecessaryuseofblowtorch #creepygrin

Edited by Refresh
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Refresh said:

I had no idea mango skins can be poisonous. Really interesting and glad that you brought this up. The more you know!

I rewatched too ( because that does seem irresponsible) and while the mango skin definitely appeared on 1) the "hero" version that they style and photograph close up to announce the dish (and put on the web site etc.), and 2) in the version in her video (likely the same one). I looked closely to see if the plates that went to the judges and the guests had the mango skin on them, and it didn't look like they did. At one point Jadda talks and they show her plate and there's definitely no mango skin on that dish (and her body is in the shot so it's not a cut away). There are just flowers, meat, sauces. Though I was like a freak on the pause button and i was looking for this specifically, so .... realistically what viewer is doing that? Right? It's misleading.

So maybe Addie intentionally only used it for styling? Or someone told her to take it off prior to service for the dishes? Or she realized that she didn't have enough mango skin to poison/garnish everyone's plates with so she didn't put it on so the dishes would be consistent? Doubt we'll ever know...

I totally believe what you just said.  I don't recall looking carefully at the other plates, just the "glamor shot", so I could be wrong, but it WAS in the glamor shot.  I couldn't find the glamor shot of the dish on FN.  I just looked this very minute.  I will try to slow it down if I see the episode again (alas, DVR and 2 extra drives are F.U.L.L, so I"m limited re: recording).  Even so, some people are so allergic that they can go into anaphylactic shock.  Either way (inconsistent, or not).....it was a terrible oversight, IMO.  Besides, most judges on every show complain LOUDLY about inedible garnishes.  

I suspect you may be right, mangoes are not easy to peel to begin with, so to have enough "pretty skins" for garnish might not have been doable.  Not that putting it on even one dish was okay!

1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

I absolutely love the attention to detail displayed on this board.  Can we all get adjoining rooms in The Home, or Hell, or wherever we're headed next?  Think of all the fun we'll have.

Well, I'll cook for you if you cook for me. Sounds fair.  Right now, I'm doing a fair cultural appropriation of Mexican chicken tamales.  Learned in Acapulco.  Much too much for one person, tho....so it's a two day affair. 

Why would you want Matt as a roommate?  Unless you plan on bossing him around and making him clean.  He could use taking down a peg or forty-five!

29 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Why would you want Matt as a roommate?  Unless you plan on bossing him around and making him clean.  He could use taking down a peg or forty-five!

Oh, that's my Cleveland-born sense of irony and sarcasm.  I can't stand him.  I'd rather be with Penny.  Oh, wait a minute - no I wouldn't.  Maybe if I behave myself before the inevitable decline, I'll get that really handsome and charming French porn star from Cutthroat Kitchen.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Refresh said:

LOL Seriously? How did I miss that? I skipped last season

Ummm.... it was a few seasons ago. He Who Shall Not Be Named was the hairy guy with candy bars taped to his body.

2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Bring him on. I know how to drive roommates batshit crazy, we'll have him begging for a rubber room in no time.

• Love 1