Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: All-Terrain Eats

• Start Topic

(edited)
12 hours ago, Christina said:

How did she make it this far in the first place? Was she our low hanging fruit to snark on? 

Suzanne and "Nana Nancy" were so horrendously unqualified that it made we wonder (yet again) how the hell certain people get on this show. Anyone can create a good audition video. Don't they bring potential contestants in and test if they're comfortable on camera, can think on their feet, can cook with a time limit etc. Apparently not. And you think that a producer would've told Suzanne to drop the "momma" thing when she couldn't even get the whole "Chef Momma Suzanne Lassio" out of her mouth.

Whatever charm they find in Rusty totally eludes me. The judges always seem to go for the big, blustery guys who yell at the camera and the audience. They see it as "enthusiasm." To me it's unpleasant and exhausting. I think he should've been in the bottom considering that his potato dish was pretty bad and wasn't even an appetizer.

Matthew's lamb dish sounded delicious. Personality aside, he's consistently been the one whose food I'd most like to try.

9 hours ago, GaT said:

What was the point of the diners picking whose food they wanted to eat? Did it count in the judging at all?

No, and they also spent  lots of time making it sound like in each pair of contestants one would be declared the winner. But that's not how it was judged, as we ended up with both "forest" contestants in the bottom three. And how is pho a forest dish anyway, and what does duck breast have to do with the desert? It was yet another silly, contrived challenge.

12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I also don't think it was good look of the show to have an undercurrent of "our stupid viewers couldn't possibly know what pho was by looking at it." I know what pho is and I've never had it before. Thanks, Giada.

It's always been that way on Food Network. If it's not meat and potatoes you better explain it. But if you're going to explain your dish please don't dumb it down, like Cao calling pho "Vietnamese pasta."

10 hours ago, J-Man said:

And again we have cooks who are unable to properly pronounce the names of their dishes. First it was Nancy and vichy-SWAH, and now it's Trace with pen-NAY. (I won't get into "gratin."

Yeah, until they put the name of his dish on the screen I had no idea he made penne. I kept thinking, what the hell is a pe-nay? (rhymes with beignet). The southern accents this week were thicker than honey pouring out of a boot. Lawdy chile.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

The set and theme were nuts.  I loved David bringing Jamaica to the desert!    I like him.  What is desert food anyway?  

My brain immediately went to Middle Eastern foods--dates, yogurt, olive, pita, hummus...

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

My brain immediately went to Middle Eastern foods--dates, yogurt, olive, pita, hummus...

I live in the Sonoran desert here in AZ.  I thought lobster roll and iced tea.   LOL  A north easterner speaking! 

• Love 1

Suzanne and "Nana Nancy" were so horrendously unqualified that it made we wonder (yet again) how the hell certain people get on this show.

I would agree with you about Suzanne, but apparently Nancy won an episode of "Cutthroat Kitchen," so at least she demonstrated SOME cooking ability. Although winning that show is dependent on things other than just culinary skills.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

Trace is wearing a wig or a weave like Hair Club for Men.   It is a dead give away when you see a profile view.  The bottom of the back is the tell.  Penne with truffle oil.  Oy  

Yep.  First thing I thought of reading your post was seeing Charlton Heston at Union Square in the 90s.  Very handsome man, but the gap at the nape of his neck was so obvious.

10 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I live in the Sonoran desert here in AZ.  I thought lobster roll and iced tea.   LOL  A north easterner speaking! 

I kept thinking of Lawrence of Arabia throwing a goatskin into a well.  (Big Peter O'Toole fan here.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DallasGypsy said:

Giada's blue dress was so tight that I wondered how she was going to sit down in it.  Well, she may have 'hiked it up' but that made it even shorter ... so, instead of getting the outside seat at the table (upstage camera position), she was stuck in the back where the lighting was horrible.  Being backless, the dress didn't give her boobs any support which she desperately needed.  Then, she changed to that other dress (which again didn't support her boobs) for the judging.

I was constantly distracted by her incredibly bony shoulders.  It looked like they left one of those deluxe mahogany hangers on the dress when they put it on her.

Sandwich, stat.  With avocado, bacon and extra mayo.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, J-Man said:

And again we have cooks who are unable to properly pronounce the names of their dishes. First it was Nancy and vichy-SWAH, and now it's Trace with pen-NAY. (I won't get into "gratin.")

Speaking of pronunciation, how about Rusty's talking head where he calls Addie "Smooth, cool, calm and collective"?  - Ugh.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Suzanne and "Nana Nancy" were so horrendously unqualified that it made we wonder (yet again) how the hell certain people get on this show. Anyone can create a good audition video. Don't they bring potential contestants in and test if they're comfortable on camera, can think on their feet, can cook with a time limit etc. Apparently not. And you think that a producer would've told Suzanne to drop the "momma" thing when she couldn't even get the whole "Chef Momma Suzanne Lassio" out of her mouth.

They are obviously not interested in any older women or "Middle Eastern Mommas" this season or they would have tried harder to find some that were better than this.  I think they try to round out the cast to include people from various different culinary categories but not all of them are intended to win.  Judging from the number of Southern cooks this year I have to wonder if their preference is for another Southern winner.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I was constantly distracted by her incredibly bony shoulders.  It looked like they left one of those deluxe mahogany hangers on the dress when they put it on her.

Sandwich, stat.  With avocado, bacon and extra mayo.

You are hysterical!  

43 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Whatever charm they find in Rusty totally eludes me. The judges always seem to go for the big, blustery guys who yell at the camera and the audience. They see it as "enthusiasm." To me it's unpleasant and exhausting. I think he should've been in the bottom considering that his potato dish was pretty bad and wasn't even an appetizer.

I totally agree.  I think they recruited this cast (got Suzanne from god knows where).  I doubt anyone tries out.  Cory stood out, clearly and Jason was easy picking.  Everyone was known from somewhere.   

49 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

It's always been that way on Food Network. If it's not meat and potatoes you better explain it. But if you're going to explain your dish please don't dumb it down, like Cao calling pho "Vietnamese pasta."

That is so silly as evidenced on Cooks vs Cons.  The judges are dumbfounded at how a con knows how to make something they deem cheffie.  Viewers know how to cook or are foodies or they would not be watching and if you apply to be on a show, you certainly know a lot. 

• Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Re: Desert food - Yes, or North African food like tagine, couscous, lamb anything.

58 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

They always seem to have one big, heavy, sloppy guy on the cast every season.  If I went back through the casts over the years and lined them up they would all start to look like the same guy.  I couldn't get over Rusty's un-ironed wrinkled shirt, LOL.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, ivygirl said:

...And Southern Bieber lives to cook another day.

Au revoir, Penny 2.0. You just go ahead and believe that a little more butter would have saved you.

I know my lack of Jason love is often at a table of one here, but my concern from the bake off seems to have borne out: he's cranking up the "southern charm." It's too much for me.

Hi, my name is Blonde Gator, may I share your table?  The dining room seems rather full at the moment.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I think they recruited this cast

They always do, yet they still hold open calls for contestants. I've got a friend in Phoenix, John Corey, who's a damn good chef and cooks innovative food. He's been on the Cooks vs Cons, I think, and won. He's also tried out for this show. They should have picked him instead of Matthew if they wanted a good representative from AZ.

https://www.facebook.com/chefjohnaz?fref=ts

• Love 1
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

They always do, yet they still hold open calls for contestants. I've got a friend in Phoenix, John Corey, who's a damn good chef and cooks innovative food. He's been on the Cooks vs Cons, I think, and won. He's also tried out for this show. They should have picked him instead of Matthew if they wanted a good representative from AZ.

https://www.facebook.com/chefjohnaz?fref=ts

I remember him.  He would have been an excellent choice!  

13 hours ago, Christina said:

I was actually wondering if it was a commonly known food to those of us outside of food and cooking shows and who do not live in areas with Asian communities. Giada's comment about baklava made me think the same thing, because I think it is more common than pho, but she also said something about it not being explained. 

There seems to be an assumption that the audience is not going to know what you are speaking of unless you explain it, for all foods except steak and potatoes. There is also an assumption that if you do not taste your food and say how great it tastes, the audience won't know, so basically, I think FN thinks everyone is stupid, and yet I watch, so they may be right about me. 

I can't imagine anyone not knowing what baklava.  Just as everyone knows what a gyro is.  Greek food is fairly ubiquitous in the US.  I was introduced to it in college by my roommate's mom, and was hooked.  Baklava is the one exception to never wanting to hear the words "ooey-gooey" on Food Network.  I'd have choked laughing though, if Chef Mama had used it, and then had served dry as desert baklava.  She should have served this dish "in the desert".

As for Giada's dress, I think she was trying to channel Daenerys Targaryan in Game of Thrones.  Mother of Dragons or something.  It looked utterly ridiculous.

• Love 5

I usually hate southerns who lay it on thick.  Paula Dean was terrible!   Jason has a calm demeanor in between his corny sayings so for some reason he does not get under my skin.  He doesn't laugh at his own comments (good thing) and does not have that over the top bubbly shit many southern TV cooks do.   He is the clear winner if I had to guess at this point.   He is not my choice to win, but I can see it.  So far I like Cory and David.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I had a homemade pizza at a friends house, years ago, with a little truffle oil dribbled on top.  This was before I knew anything about it.  The pizza was delicious and in part due to the oil.  Can anyone who has had a real truffle and the oil say if it remotely tastes the same or in the ball park, anyway?  

ETA.  https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-high-end-chefs-cringe-at-the-use-of-truffle-oil

A chef who approves with limitations.  

Edited by wings707
6 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I had a homemade pizza at a friends house, years ago, with a little truffle oil dribbled on top.  This was before I knew anything about it.  The pizza was delicious and in part due to the oil.  Can anyone who has had a real truffle and the oil say if it remotely tastes the same or in the ball park, anyway?  

I can't attest to the taste as I don't remember ever having it.

For anyone unaware, the reason chefs are so against truffle oil is that it's not made from real truffles, or so I have read.  Here are a couple of articles on it.  One reminded me of Joe Bastianich's memorable rant against it on MasterChef a few years back:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/06/chef-gordon-ramsay-on-the-one-ingredient-you-should-not-have-in-your-pantry.html

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html

(edited)
5 hours ago, smiley13 said:

I was still cleaning from Fathers Day dinner and did not get to watch as closely as I like to, but was glad to see Mama Chef or Chef Mama or whatever she was calling herself go.

I did catch the two blonde Mean Girls crowing that more people were placing orders for their food than whoever they were up against.  Seeing that really makes me hope that one or both of them is an epic failure next week.   Addie just puts off a "thinks she is superior" vibe and home cook is not far behind her.

And yes, I agree with Matthew on not being a fan of team challenges.

Caodan can head out next.  I have heard of "pho" but would never order it somewhere.  Again, her food did not look appetizing.

As for Addie and her Martha Stewart ways...........did anyone else notice her garnishes?  She had a dendrobium orchid on one side of the plate (fine, it is edible, but blah),  But on the other side of the plate, she used a MANGO PEEL!  It was very pretty, a mango is a beautiful fruit.  But many people are super allergic to mango trees and the whole fruits, because they exude a chemical to which many people are allergic, and which can result in swollen lips, itching, and in some cases, anaphylactic shock!  I know, I grew up in Florida, and I'm one of the fortunate ones for whom mango sap presents no problems whatsoever, my BFF was very allergic.  She'd be gifted a nice box of mangoes, and beg me to come peel them for her.  BTW, peeled mango sections freeze wonderfully well, and are a delight to find buried in the freezer in winter.  Best way to serve, over vanilla ice cream.

Excuse me, Mini-Martha, but that's NOT just stupid, it's the epitome of Bad Hostess! 

I was rather shocked that the judges didn't call her out on that.  Talk about "inedible garnishes" and "food authority" all wrapped into one.  EPIC FAIL. 

Edited by Blonde Gator
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Oh my good holy lord, WHAT was Giada wearing when they intro'ed the challenge? It looked like Dolly Parton c. 1983. 

I was wondering if she'd drape those long sleeve-things into her food.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I can't attest to the taste as I don't remember ever having it.

For anyone unaware, the reason chefs are so against truffle oil is that it's not made from real truffles, or so I have read.  Here are a couple of articles on it.  One reminded me of Joe Bastianich's memorable rant against it on MasterChef a few years back:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/06/chef-gordon-ramsay-on-the-one-ingredient-you-should-not-have-in-your-pantry.html

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html

Yes,  I have always known it was not made from truffles and that a chemical additive creates its flavor.   From the link I posted above it is definitely close in taste to a white truffle.  

The drama around its use is silly.  I remember on The Taste, Bourdain asked the other judges if the dish had truffle oil in it.  They all took a minute and decided it did.  No one screamed and emptied their mouthful into a napkin.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

I was rather shocked that the judges didn't call her out on that.  Talk about "inedible garnishes" and "food authority" all wrapped into one.  EPIC FAIL.

They like her. She could serve a side of poo and they'd glance past it.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

As for Addie and her Martha Stewart ways...........did anyone else notice her garnishes?  She had a dendrobium orchid on one side of the plate (fine, it is edible, but blah),  But on the other side of the plate, she used a MANGO PEEL!  It was very pretty, a mango is a beautiful fruit.  But many people are super allergic to mango trees and the whole fruits, because they exude a chemical to which many people are allergic, and which can result in swollen lips, itching, and in some cases, anaphylactic shock!  I know, I grew up in Florida, and I'm one of the fortunate ones for whom mango sap presents no problems whatsoever, my BFF was very allergic.  She'd be gifted a nice box of mangoes, and beg me to come peel them for her.  BTW, peeled mango sections freeze wonderfully well, and are a delight to find buried in the freezer in winter.  Best way to serve, over vanilla ice cream.

Excuse me, Mini-Martha, but that's NOT just stupid, and the epitome of Bad Hostess! 

Interesting.  I just moved from FL and I miss it.  Well, not the humidity but plantains and mangos, for sure.   I miss Publix, the best supermarket in the US.   I learned that when I moved.  People our here in AZ know all about it.  Wow, right?  Other chains would like to emulate it but cannot.  Apparently Publix has contracts with distributors and other things that cannot be duplicated in other parts of the country because other markets have divided them and have exclusives.   I have to go to 4 groceries to complete one simple list.  It is annoying.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched this right after an episode of The Great British Baking Show.  Oof! That was a mistake.  I'm still suffering from the whiplash it gave me.

I think the funniest part of the episode was the "experience" being so cheap and underwhelming but they cued the judges to "ooh" at each scene change.  Once, it looked like Tyler had just been woken up and forced at gunpoint to marvel at the scene change.

As for the contestants, Cao knew before agreeing to be on the show that all the cooking challenges have time limits and had time beforehand to plan out how to represent her cuisine within those time constraints. Is she  a dead chef walking? Or did she game it out beforehand and will be switching to the recipes in her toolbox that don't take so long?  I like that mini-Martha thought about what would sound good to diners for an appetizer and, in the context of a team challenge, thought immediately in terms of securing the rarest resource - a desert chef.

Edited by rab01
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

They like her. She could serve a side of poo and they'd glance past it.

I got the feeling they were losing interest or at least not as wowed as they are with others.  They go for big personalities.   

The one who will be the best judge on GGG will win. 

25 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes,  I have always known it was not made from truffles and that a chemical additive creates its flavor.  

Oh, of course I assume YOU know these things, but I guess FN must be rubbing off on me to have the compulsion to explain these things for the "average viewer" out there who might not know what we're on about, LOL.  ;-)

• Love 1
Just now, Snarklepuss said:

Oh, of course I assume YOU know these things, but I guess FN must be rubbing off on me to have the compulsion to explain these things for the "average viewer" out there who might not know what we're on about, LOL.  ;-)

Ha ha ha ha!

53 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Interesting.  I just moved from FL and I miss it.  Well, not the humidity but plantains and mangos, for sure.   I miss Publix, the best supermarket in the US.   I learned that when I moved.  People our here in AZ know all about it.  Wow, right?  Other chains would like to emulate it but cannot.  Apparently Publix has contracts with distributors and other things that cannot be duplicated in other parts of the country because other markets have divided them and have exclusives.   I have to go to 4 groceries to complete one simple list.  It is annoying.  

I feel your pain.  Right now, I am praying that the wind won't kick up, my bananas have two perfect leaves (big ones) just emerging, and they need one or two more days to fully emerge, and toughen up, just a bit, before I can WHACK them to use for tamale wrappers.  I love cooking with banana leaves.  I never get good bananas on these plants, but who cares, leaves!  I found a little store here that is a "cut rate" groecry, and caters to the immigrant market.  And do they have produce!!!!!  They have plantains out the wazoo (10/$1), fresh yucca root, scotch bonnets, tomatillos, casava, chayote, papayas, etc.  Plus the usual produce.  And the prices are amazing.   Mangoes will be mountain high in the stores in another two weeks.   Fill your freezer!    Speaking of mangoes....

Oh, best mango daquiri ever....(I worked on this for a whole summer).  Add 1 1/2 c. dark rum, and the flesh of 1 large or two medium (peeled & deseeded) mangoes to blender.  Fill your blender 2/3 full w/ice cubes.  add 2 tbsp. frozen concentrate limeade, and 2/3 cup of mango nectar, or Mango/Pineapple/OJ blend (near OJ in the juice fridge).  Blend until smooth.  Don't drink too many, they are lethal.  And by big mango, I mean this:

IMG_0284-e1437348713969.jpg

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Those hang over the fence at my friend's house, and I have a mango picker with a looooooong handle!

That is how I got grapefruit from a neighbor, no picker needed.  Just reached up and pluck.  I don't even like grapefruit but they were right there!   If you cut one up and put it down the disposal it makes the kitchen smell wonderful.  

(edited)

mlp, Suzanne could have said the Gods of Mt. Olympus ate baklava! (Speaking of which, did she pour any honey syrup on hers? I didn't see it.)

Overall, though, I thought the "terrain" conceit for these particular segments of a dinner was ill-conceived.

Blond Gator, I'm  making that drink soon! I'm in PA, but we have mangoes!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She shouldn't have blamed everyone else for her boot but I did find it kind of funny that Giada's main complaint was that she didn't describe what baklava is because it was her group that kind of steered her astray.  I don't think you need to describe specifically what baklava is but she should have highlighted things like the nuts, pastry and fruit because there are subtle differences in how people prepare the dessert.  And that is one thing she did do in her original presentation but the way she did it was way too detailed that the group didn't like it.

I think the group was correct to stop her from listing "sugar, brown sugar...". Was it Trace(?) who told her to focus on 3 things: nuts, honey, and phyllo? It sounds like the right advice to me: describe in appealing detail the most important features.

14 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

What I took from this is that people will order what they want to eat, regardless of the TV Personality delivery.  Especially if it's a free meal...they will choose the meat or heartier dish over anything video presentation.

Which might be inevitable. Imagine you know you're going to be served at Food Network. You deliberately don't overeat at the meal before. Then you get to the studio and wait around 6 hours, before being served portions that are more like samplers. I figure I would literally order whatever looked biggest.

15 hours ago, mlp said:

If I didn't watch food TV, I would have no idea what pho is (or how to pronounce it).  I've never seen it on a menu around here or even heard it mentioned anywhere.  So Giada had a point about explaining it as much as I hate to agree with her.

I like Jason but I liked him better on the baking show where he was more laid back.  He seems to be trying a little too hard although FN likes a big personality so he may be doing the right thing.  The other contestants seem to like him so that's a plus.

There's a restaurant near me called Pho-tastic. They're pretty good, but I don't think the wordplay works with either the correct pronunciation or the commonly incorrect one. Bothers me every time.

Jason I'm convinced can pull back any time the judges tell him to. Which they won't. I noticed btw that they talked about his dish as being a good recipe for the website. While that's no doubt the smartest way to give recipes these days anyway, I wonder if it's another sign that this whole season is purely about finding an online presenter.  No more glory days of being a GGG judge.

8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

For the most part, they're SAG actors. I've had three friends now who are actors who've been chosen to be a diner on this show....instead of lowly me who doesn't have a SAG card. LOL, I have lost count of the number of times I've applied to be a diner.

Next time you apply you should write in that you're capable of audibly saying "Wow" to something as mundane as a screen changing from jungle to beach.  When I saw that I was tangibly embarrassed for that woman, but it definitely got her a spot.

• Love 4
(edited)

I could see the appeal of video screens and music adding an "experiential" element to a meal.  But this episode did not do a good job of explaining that the food should match the theme, and the contestants didn't really get asked to defend their choices.  Most of them chose a course, and then cooked whatever they wanted, then mentioned the theme as a throw-away concept. 

I do think Suzanne could have "explained"  baklava, but just to say it's a sweet, nutty pastry.   You can buy trays of it at Walmart, so it's not exotic.   Suzanne seems to be a person who will either under-explain or over-explain - she can't hit the right balance. I'm glad she's gone, because she wasn't fun to watch. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

As for Addie and her Martha Stewart ways...........did anyone else notice her garnishes?  She had a dendrobium orchid on one side of the plate (fine, it is edible, but blah),  But on the other side of the plate, she used a MANGO PEEL!  It was very pretty, a mango is a beautiful fruit. 

Can't you just hear Scott Conant saying "If I'm not supposed to eat it, don't put it on the plate"?

Addie's a little too smug and self-satisfied for me.  You worked for Martha Stewart.  I'm impressed.  Not.

(BTW, I couldn't stand pre-conviction Martha Stewart.  Once she did her time in the chokey I actually came to kinda like her.  She womaned up, paid her debt to society and has toned down the unbearable snooty stuff that made me change the channel.)

That doesn't mean she isn't still a pill, but you don't hear much about her nowadays, unless Addie brings it up.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Can't you just hear Scott Conant saying "If I'm not supposed to eat it, don't put it on the plate"?

Addie's a little too smug and self-satisfied for me.  You worked for Martha Stewart.  I'm impressed.  Not.

(BTW, I couldn't stand pre-conviction Martha Stewart.  Once she did her time in the chokey I actually came to kinda like her.  She womaned up, paid her debt to society and has toned down the unbearable snooty stuff that made me change the channel.)

That doesn't mean she isn't still a pill, but you don't hear much about her nowadays, unless Addie brings it up.

Addie is smug.  She hid it in Week One, but her inner mean girl is coming out.  She was downright gleeful that she was getting food orders last night.  

• Love 7
9 hours ago, BryroseA said:

To be fair, some of the theme/food pairings were a lot easier than others. If you can't nail beach/seafood there is something wrong with you, but...forest/pasta???? 

Oh, I can do that - just throw some broccoli in with fettuccine and chicken! Little trees :)

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Another reason I've seen people hating on it while watching FN competition shows is that a little goes a long way and most use too much...or at least according to the judges.  Considering Trace had very little liquid for sauce on his penne, I could see truffle oil standing out and not in a good way.

I think the group was correct to stop her from listing "sugar, brown sugar...". Was it Trace(?) who told her to focus on 3 things: nuts, honey, and phyllo? It sounds like the right advice to me: describe in appealing detail the most important features.

Absolutely.  But I do think it flustered her.  Had she not been challenged she would have had a ridiculous segment in the opposite direction.

2 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I noticed btw that they talked about his dish as being a good recipe for the website. While that's no doubt the smartest way to give recipes these days anyway, I wonder if it's another sign that this whole season is purely about finding an online presenter.  No more glory days of being a GGG judge.

I think it's still about showing up as a judge.  Perhaps not on something as "prestigious" as Chopped but with Cooks vs. Cons, Bakers vs. Fakers, GGG, all the children's cooking/baking championships, I imagine they still look for judges.

Maybe they are looking to beef up their online presence but I do think they've started to realize that another way to measure success is by recipe downloads.  In fact, I think a lot of food shows have stopped being specific with the recipes and even have items on the shows where they say "you can find this recipe at cookingshow.com." I've even see shows like The Chew and The Kitchen refer to the most popular recipes online. No more needing to record a show so you don't miss a recipe. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I know my lack of Jason love is often at a table of one here, but my concern from the bake off seems to have borne out: he's cranking up the "southern charm." It's too much for me.

You're not alone. I don't care for him. I didn't watch the bake off show because baking isn't my thing, but his schtick bothers me. I need him to dial it down about 50 notches.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Those hang over the fence at my friend's house, and I have a mango picker with a looooooong handle!

3 hours ago, wings707 said:

That is how I got grapefruit from a neighbor, no picker needed.  Just reached up and pluck.  I don't even like grapefruit but they were right there!   If you cut one up and put it down the disposal it makes the kitchen smell wonderful.  

Taking my response to the Small Talk thread.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

The drama around its use is silly.  I remember on The Taste, Bourdain asked the other judges if the dish had truffle oil in it.  They all took a minute and decided it did.  No one screamed and emptied their mouthful into a napkin.  

I saw Alex B. on one of her early shows, maybe Day Off or an early Chopped, go off all rhapsodic once about how great truffle oil was and what a wonderful innovation for getting a taste of truffle at a reasonable price.  She was effusive enough that I thought it was product placement.

This is actually the first of this season's regular shows I've seen though I did see one Comeback.  Even though I'd never seen her before, I knew as soon  as Team Four Bros and a Bitch was formed that she was done for.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Totale said:

I saw Alex B. on one of her early shows, maybe Day Off or an early Chopped, go off all rhapsodic once about how great truffle oil was and what a wonderful innovation for getting a taste of truffle at a reasonable price.  She was effusive enough that I thought it was product placement.

Who is Alex B?  Did you mean Alex G? 

So who here has gone hiking in "The Mountain Of The Middle East"..? lol Hopefully Suzanne doesnt try out for Masterchef

Had no idea Matthew was a native of my state..

Here is my theory.  Every knew that Suzanne had to go.  However, I think that her baklava actually tasted good.  We saw the judges praise the filling and the sauce (or whatever you call the honey drizzled on it).  I think she also seemed to have a tie in with the triangle shape that looked like little mountains.  They therefore had to come up with some reason to criticize her food so it wouldn't look like they were tossing a good cook.  Therefore, they came up with the "too dry" excuse (which neither of the other judges noticed until Giada pointed it out even though they were eating the dessert).  They also needed to point out that she hadn't explained what baklava was. Then they had an even better reason to dump her.  Then again, I may be overthinking things.