Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Beauty and the Beast

• Start Topic

I thought that Nancy had a horrible attitude, and she definitely took the lead in her group.  There was no doubt in my mind when her team lost that she would be eliminated.  Someone above referenced that she said that she has won hundreds of food competitions-I would like to know which ones as she did not impress me at all.  Adding cream to the soup did nothing for the lumpy consistency.  However, my biggest complaint about her is that she threatened that we would see her again.  Why?  Why do contestants think we want to see them on more shows?  Why is it that almost all of these contestants say that?  Not only do I want them gone, I want some of the remaining contestants gone as well.  Top of my list?  David.  Telling the "ladies" that he will be their personal Gaston?  Does he not realize that Gaston was not the hero of Beauty and the Beast?  I also disliked in the French market when he did the big jump up and click the heels-they were in a nice store-act like it!  Oh, and Rusty can go, too.  Not only did he take too much time, he rambling and was nonsensical.  I couldn't believe the judges called him charming and warm.  I did like that Matthew was proved right-they should have practiced.  Not that I like him, but I liked that Nancy and the others realized that the team that practiced did really well and they didn't.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

It was too large and though Creole people have French roots it is not by any stretch considered French cuisine.  Grits are not found in France, Thailand or India, to name 3 of many!  The judges mentioned that.  You want to win the show?  Pay attention.  

There were others who failed on that, too, but were not on the losing team.  

But cornmeal porridge is found in France. And I'm not sure how that would differ from grits.  Honestly, I'm not arguing with you about Shrimp & Grits being a French dish. It's clearly a Southern one, albeit one with Creole roots. My beef is with the way the judging was set up in the case. I think they had to stretch to find a reason to send Toya home when side by side her dish, its fit to the challenge, and her presentation were better than several others.  But, to play Devil's advocate against myself, bottom line Toya was on the losing team which gave her a 50-50 shot at going home. She agreed with the others when they said they didn't need to practice. And if I had to choose one of the 3 teams to lose, it probably would have been theirs --  but I think only because of Jason's presentation and David's ability to "bring it home" with very little time left to him. I still wish they'd sent players home from both non-winning teams, but it's not the first time the rules of a particular challenge will get the wrong (imo) person sent home and it certainly won't be the last. :)

• Love 1

Bobby and Giada are really phoning it in this season.  They both seem to have zero interest in the outcome of this show.  And I kinda agree with them. I want to see how far Jason can go (I like him) but other than that, I really don't care for any of these "cooks".

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Gbb said:

But cornmeal porridge is found in France. And I'm not sure how that would differ from grits.  Honestly, I'm not arguing with you about Shrimp & Grits being a French dish. It's clearly a Southern one, albeit one with Creole roots. My beef is with the way the judging was set up in the case. I think they had to stretch to find a reason to send Toya home when side by side her dish, its fit to the challenge, and her presentation were better than several others.  But, to play Devil's advocate against myself, bottom line Toya was on the losing team which gave her a 50-50 shot at going home. She agreed with the others when they said they didn't need to practice. And if I had to choose one of the 3 teams to lose, it probably would have been theirs --  but I think only because of Jason's presentation and David's ability to "bring it home" with very little time left to him. I still wish they'd sent players home from both non-winning teams, but it's not the first time the rules of a particular challenge will get the wrong (imo) person sent home and it certainly won't be the last. :)

I understand where you are coming from.  We are having a discussion.  :^)  

I agree that they should have sent the bottom two home, choosing from both bottom teams.  They might have seen their mistake because I KNOW they would have loved to send Suzanne home.   Viewers were not aware both had to come from the same team but the contestants might have been told and it didn't make the edit.   Otherwise I think they would have changed that rule on the spot.  

They did stretch to send Toya home but they knew she would not make it far, anyway. 

The fault in all the issues we have brought up rests clearly in Bobby and Giada's lap.  They need to take charge; yes they are phoning it in @penbrat and it is annoying!  

As of now----

Strong contenders:   Cory and Addie

Maybe:    Cao, Trace, Jason and David

No:   Rusty and Matt

Hell no:  Suzanne.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, wings707 said:

They did stretch to send Toya home but they knew she would not make it far, anyway. 

The fault in all the issues we have brought up rests clearly in Bobby and Giada's lap.  They need to take charge; yes they are phoning it in @penbrat and it is annoying! 

On those things we agree 100% :)

Please bring Alton back and/or swap Giada and Bobby for somebody who gives a damn.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

If Amy can overcome her wide-eyed hand-wringing Melanie Wilkes act, I might include her in "Maybe".  Meanwhile, I pity any future Middle Eastern cook who doesn't stand a chance courtesy the lingering stench of Penny Davidi. Well, pity except for Suzanne.  She's hopeless on camera and in the kitchen.

• Love 5
Just now, spiderpig said:

If Amy can overcome her wide-eyed hand-wringing Melanie Wilkes act, I might include her in "Maybe".  Meanwhile, I pity any future Middle Eastern cook who doesn't stand a chance courtesy the lingering stench of Penny Davidi. Well, pity except for Suzanne.  She's hopeless on camera and in the kitchen.

Totally forgot about Amy, I agree she is a maybe.  She will have to drop the home cook, too.  It lacks authority.   LOL@ Wilkes, I had to google that.  

9 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Totally forgot about Amy, I agree she is a maybe.  She will have to drop the home cook, too.  It lacks authority.   LOL@ Wilkes, I had to google that.  

Completely off-topic, but Olivia DeHavilland is 100 years old and still beautiful.  Has lived in France for decades.  I'll bet she could cook the shipoopies off any of these contestants.

• Love 6

Why did Nancy even peel those thin-skinned potatoes?  It was totally unnecessary.

Sandra Lee - bits and bobbles?  Seriously?

I've been advocating since I first heard it for "ooey gooey" to be banned from the mouths of anyone over the age of two.  Matthew has now proved my point.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

I've been advocating since I first heard it for "ooey gooey" to be banned from the mouths of anyone over the age of two.  Matthew has now proved my point.

Especially when the judges pointed out that his masterwork was neither ooey nor gooey.  Epic fail, Matt.  The butler will show you out.

• Love 1

These 3 have the best pedigree compared to the others.  

Addie Gundry (Lake Forest, Illinois)

Addie, 30, has always been book smart and driven. The valedictorian of her culinary school, Addie has built an impressive resume at such a young age, including stints working for iconic names such as Daniel Boulud, Thomas Keller and Martha Stewart. She is currently the culinary director for a lifestyle publishing company, in addition to publishing her own food blog and cookbooks focusing on easy, elegant and entertaining dishes. Proud of the accomplishments she has made, Addie is ready for her next challenge — being a Food Network Star!

Cory Bahr (Monroe, Louisiana)

Growing up in a small town in Louisiana, Cory, 40, inherited a passion for the great outdoors and cooking. At 16, Cory discovered his love for cooking while taking a job waiting tables, and he has been in the restaurant industry ever since. Named the “King of Louisiana Seafood” in 2011, Cory is a restauranteur, private chef and owner of a catering company, and he has been named Food & Wine’s “People’s Best New Chef.” No one can resist Cory’s Southern charm, or his cooking!

David Rose (Atlanta)

Growing up the youngest of eight siblings, David, 35, learned the love of food at an early age. A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, David can make refined and beautiful dishes, creating a fusion of Southern, French, Asian and Caribbean cuisines. Currently the owner of a special events, catering and culinary consulting company, David is also a food columnist and is an avid motorcycle rider who goes by “The Biker Chef.”

• Love 1

It's been a few seasons since we've seen such across the board poorly reviewed food, hasn't it? The only dishes they liked at all were Addie's sweet tea sandwich and Cory's lobster veloute (which sounded deeeeeelicious.) Everything else was meh to bad. 

I lol'd HARD at Suzanne starting to introduce herself as " Chef Suz--" and then stopping like--'no, Suzanne, we talked about this, stay on brand. On brand.'--and pivoting to "Chef Mamma Suzanne." Lady if you can't even remember whatever twee thing you're calling yourself, how do you expect others to?

• Love 6

Nana--Lordy, I hate that approach.  "I'm a nana."  What an idiot to not want to practice.  Automatic click for me.

Guy that hogged the time--should have been eliminated on principle.  The time was counted down, why did this jerk keep on talking?  And apparently got away with it!

• Love 2

Ha, I loved Suzanne's miss on her designated "Mama."

In Rusty's defense, "baby lamb chops" or "lamb lollipops" are common passed hors d'oeuvres -- I've had them at many a wedding reception. His problem was that his chops were too big and were plated with gloppy sauce all over. They are usually just a couple of bites, with a very cleanly Frenched bone, and a non-drippy condiment.

Honestly, none of the "hors d'oeuvres" looked like proper hors d'oeuvres to me.  I was surprised no one broke out the mini crab cakes, which are always a hit, inherently luxurious, and could be tied to the theme with a French remoulade with cornichons, capers, etc.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, wings707 said:

As of now----

My as of now:

Strong Contenders: Rusty, Cory, Jason, David

Maybe: Trace, Amy (Depends on if she slams her military Husband again), Matthew (Well, he's Matthew), Addie (Depends on if she can tame her possible snob behavior)

No:  Suzanne (Can't deal with another Middle Eastern Mama), Caodan (Too quirky)

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Amy made a rude remark about something at home, that no she hadn't done whatever it was, but that the kids are alive.  Don't play the home cook Mom angle, then be ugly about it.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

My as of now:

Strong Contenders: Rusty, Cory, Jason, David

Maybe: Trace, Amy (Depends on if she slams her military Husband again), Matthew (Well, he's Matthew), Addie (Depends on if she can tame her possible snob behavior)

No:  Suzanne (Can't deal with another Middle Eastern Mama), Caodan (Too quirky)

Interesting how we see things differently.  I almost put Rusty under hell no but moved him up to no!  LOL    I have moved David into my strong contender category since I posted, though.  Just stay away from risotto, everyone.  

2 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

I can't help it, I like Matthew.

It is okay.  Drink water and get a good nights sleep.   Call me in the morning if you are not feeling better.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Interesting how we see things differently.  I almost put Rusty under hell no but moved him up to no!  LOL    I have moved David into my strong contender category since I posted, though.  Just stay away from risotto, everyone.  

I liked Rusty before the show even started since he cooks for the Zac Brown Band.  :)

10 hours ago, backformore said:

YES!  And the look on her face!  she was thinking, "OK how many calories would be in two molecules of this?" 

I thought it was right after Aunt Sandy pronounced that Jason the Cook's dish looked like pooh.  Which it did.

Then she said that Jason The Florist's floral arrangements looked like a hot mess.

That's some kind of wonderful, right there.  Sandra Lee thinks your food looks like shit and your tablescape is a hot mess.  Anyone who ever watched Semi-Homemade knows just what I mean.  Jason can go home proud.  Which I hope he does.  Next week.

Rusty needs to be sent home before the next episode even airs for being such an unsufferable tool.  Lecturing Suzanne about keeping to 30 seconds!!  30 seconds!!!!  Not a second more!!!!  And then he's all ramblin' man in front of the camera.  I guess 30 seconds is longer in the south.  What an asshat.

Lavender is delicious in the right application.  About as perfumey as thyme when done right.  It's a prominent component* of herbes de Provence so using it in this challenge was quite appropriate.  Also a sophisticated culinary choice.  No wonder the judges loved it.  They must be starved for anything remotely sophisticated this season.

* note the proper use of the word, Suzanne.

• Love 6
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

11 hours ago, backformore said:

YES!  And the look on her face!  she was thinking, "OK how many calories would be in two molecules of this?" 

I thought it was right after Aunt Sandy pronounced that Jason the Cook's dish looked like pooh.  Which it did.

I believe it was Trace's dish that looked like poo, not Jason's. But you're right about the flowers -- that comment had to have stung.

Edited by dewelar
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, dewelar said:

I believe it was Trace's dish that looked like poo, not Jason's. But you're right about the flowers -- that comment had to have stung.

Ah, yes, I think you're right.  Trace with the Bieb's hairstyle made the Bananas Shitstorm.  I don't remember what the heck Jason made to eat.  It's pretty sad, so many of the contestants are so interchangeable to me, and I don't remember what they've cooked.

• Love 1

Did Bobby go have microblading before this episode? WTH was going on with his eyebrows?

I am certain that I have seen Nancy on a FN competition before. It was one of those "Battle of the Grandmas" short-lived series. I distinctly remember the story about having worked at NASA (and yes, this was well before "Hidden Figures" was released!)

Jason made a herbed (grammar error on purpose to stress how he pronounced it) polenta square thing topped with shrimp and a tomato gravy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Addie bugs me.  She's just so smug.  It's like the way I used to feel about Martha Stewart after the Julia Child Croquembouche episode (Martha redeemed herself after #1)sucking it up and doing her jail time without whining, #2) Befriending Snoop Dog and admitting she smoked weed with him and #3) Openly going on online dating sites to actually find dates-as opposed to exploit the experience for TV rating).  She has a chance to redeem herself.

Currently my favorites are Cory (always a sucker for the good cooks-especially self-taught ones) and Cao (because I don't know how to make Vietnamese food and she's cool).

As far as shrimp and grits goes, Jason basically showed how it should have been done (grilled shrimp on a polenta cake with a tomato sauce.  He took the same basic concept as Tory but made it more French and more appropriate for the challenge (although unfortunately apparently not more tasty).

ETA: or what grisgris posted while I was typing

Edited by Psychobunny
  • Love 1

Ok, I did not like this episode at all! First and foremost, I hate team competitions. We are looking for the next food star not stars! Also, we never actually got to see much cooking, shopping, or serving. We saw arguments, a mention of decorating and sorta' tasting. All in all the whole episode was rushed and jumbled. Thirty seconds each is really pushing it, and all it takes is one person over-talking(here's looking at you Rusty) and the whole thing is ruined. I really don't have a favorite yet because I don't know anyone  and this episode did not help that at all!

(In a tiny voice) I really don't mind Matthew this year and at least we know he can cook so there is that. Hopefully next week, we will get to know the individual cooks.

• Love 6

I am certain that I have seen Nancy on a FN competition before. It was one of those "Battle of the Grandmas" short-lived series.

Yes!  That's it.  I knew I'd seen her before but I couldn't imagine where.  She had an unpleasant personality so I'm glad she's gone.  Ditto Toya and the incipient bonfire on her head.

I like Cory but he seems a little manic.  I hope he relaxes and calms down.

Addie is probably a serious contender but she seems very impressed with herself.  Maybe I'll warm up to her as the show goes on but I don't care for her so far.  

Giada and Sandra Lee seemed to be competing to see who could be the bitchiest.

• Love 3

Does anyone else get the feeling that Trace thinks the Martha Steward lady really likes him and she can't stand him?  He always seems to be talking her up and then it is followed by a snarky TH by her.  That being said, that bananas foster looked liked fermenting rotten bananas.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Then she said that Jason The Florist's floral arrangements looked like a hot mess.

That's some kind of wonderful, right there.  Sandra Lee thinks your food looks like shit and your tablescape is a hot mess.  Anyone who ever watched Semi-Homemade knows just what I mean.  Jason can go home proud.  Which I hope he does.  Next week.

Rusty needs to be sent home before the next episode even airs for being such an unsufferable tool.  Lecturing Suzanne about keeping to 30 seconds!!  30 seconds!!!!  Not a second more!!!!  And then he's all ramblin' man in front of the camera.  I guess 30 seconds is longer in the south.  What an asshat.

Lavender is delicious in the right application.  About as perfumey as thyme when done right.  It's a prominent component* of herbes de Provence so using it in this challenge was quite appropriate.  Also a sophisticated culinary choice.  No wonder the judges loved it.  They must be starved for anything remotely sophisticated this season.

* note the proper use of the word, Suzanne.

roflmaoGIF.gif

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

I've been advocating since I first heard it for "ooey gooey" to be banned from the mouths of anyone over the age of two. 

I would settle for just once, hearing anyone on the Food Network use one of those words without the other.

22 hours ago, TDT said:

"I don't know whether to scratch my butt or wipe my watch.." -Jason

On Steel Magnolias, Truvy (Dolly Parton) said something similar about Anelle's fiance Sam. "He doesn't know whether to scratch his watch, or wind his butt." I like the Truvy version better.

Jason annoys me. 

I don't mind Matthew this time around. At least he knows how to do this show.

I'm glad Nana Nancy (or whatever her name is) is gone. She was a bit of a snot. I get why Toya was bounced, but I would have preferred if the judges had gotten rid of Suzanne or Rusty. I think both are obnoxious, especially Rusty.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not particularly wowed by anyone so far. I have no one to root for at the moment. I don't know if that will change this season. 

• Love 3

I didn't love this episode.  I thought Rusty and David were horrible to Suzanne.  I don't love her either but she didn't deserve to be bulldozed and disrespected so badly.  I hated that she just let them get away with it and her dish suffered.  I would have been madder if she went home because of it..  Both Rusty and David are now on my loathe list.  And I actually liked David in the first episode!

Amy is reminding me of Melissa D'Arabian in her season with the mommy/home cook angle.  Her sarcastic "But what do I know, I'm just a home cook?" or whatever she said shows that she is feeling underestimated by other contestants the way Melissa was by two guys that snickered behind her back yet quickly went home while she ended up winning.  I wonder if the show is going for a similar narrative with her.  She's not really interesting to me in any way yet so far.

Jason/Mr. Garrison is a colorful character but I think I would tire of watching him and I just can't see him as end game for this show either.

As much as I would love to see an older woman get somewhere on this show, Nancy was just not that woman.  I didn't like the way she acted around Matthew - what a total role reversal there as previous Matthew was usually the annoying person!  I never saw someone take so long to peel potatoes - Geez, amp up the speed, go nuts, anything to get them done faster!  Another disappointing contestant.

I was actually surprised that Toya went home over Caodan.  I felt like they were being a little picky about her not following the challenge since others made Southern dishes with only the faintest association with French cuisine.  At least her dish looked professional and delicious.  Caodan's looked soggy and IMO unappetizing.  Not that I had any love for Toya and her Sideshow Bob hairdo, mind you.

They could just hand this thing over to Cory Bahr right now and call it a day as far as I'm concerned.  He seems to be the total package.

It's pretty sad when Matthew is in my top 2, but he is actually a pretty decent person when he's being himself, not some caricature for entertainment purposes only.  It's getting to the point where I wouldn't mind if he won.  Scary thought!

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I can't help it, I like Matthew.

1 hour ago, Surrealist said:

I don't mind Matthew this time around. At least he knows how to do this show.

3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

(In a tiny voice) I really don't mind Matthew this year and at least we know he can cook so there is that

I didn't like Matthew on past seasons.  If this was the first time I'd seen him, I would think he was the best one in the show.  The minute he says "hashtag", though - all bets are off. 

4 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Rusty started his presentation with Bonjourno instead of Bonjour.  a mistake, or an attempt to be cute, I don't know.  But it was stupid.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I was actually surprised that Toya went home over Caodan.  I felt like they were being a little picky about her not following the challenge since others made Southern dishes with only the faintest association with French cuisine.  At least her dish looked professional and delicious.  Caodan's looked soggy and IMO unappetizing.  Not that I had any love for Toya and her Sideshow Bob hairdo, mind you.

Caodan's dish looked nasty and did not look like a French crepe at all.  But Bobby seems to like her and her quirky vibe, so she gets a pass.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I thought that Nancy had a horrible attitude, and she definitely took the lead in her group.  There was no doubt in my mind when her team lost that she would be eliminated.  Someone above referenced that she said that she has won hundreds of food competitions-I would like to know which ones as she did not impress me at all.  Adding cream to the soup did nothing for the lumpy consistency.  However, my biggest complaint about her is that she threatened that we would see her again.  Why?  Why do contestants think we want to see them on more shows?  Why is it that almost all of these contestants say that?  Not only do I want them gone, I want some of the remaining contestants gone as well.  Top of my list?  David.  Telling the "ladies" that he will be their personal Gaston?  Does he not realize that Gaston was not the hero of Beauty and the Beast?  I also disliked in the French market when he did the big jump up and click the heels-they were in a nice store-act like it!  Oh, and Rusty can go, too.  Not only did he take too much time, he rambling and was nonsensical.  I couldn't believe the judges called him charming and warm.  I did like that Matthew was proved right-they should have practiced.  Not that I like him, but I liked that Nancy and the others realized that the team that practiced did really well and they didn't.

I totally agree with all of this. I really liked Nasa Nana, and I was sad to see her go, unlike most people.

I agree, Gaston was not the real hero, the beast was the real hero.

40 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Caodan's dish looked nasty and did not look like a French crepe at all.  But Bobby seems to like her and her quirky vibe, so she gets a pass.

I agree. She should have gone home instead of Toya. Her Vietnamese crepe was not associated with French cuisine, and it was tasteless and bland. I also thought that Matthew would only be there for the first episode, but I feel like he's gonna be there pretty much all season long. I figured they eliminated Nancy because she technically made a "soup", and Toya because her dish didn't connect with French cuisine, and Cao would stay just because Bobby liked her style and the funk on top of her hair, and I figured they would just keep Matthew because he is just an extra little smartypants who's here because he won Comeback Kitchen. I was happy to see Toya with her Sideshow Bob hairstyle.

I am voting for Addie, Cory, Jason, Amy, or Helmet Head for the win.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, wings707 said:

It was too large and though Creole people have French roots it is not by any stretch considered French cuisine.  Grits are not found in France, Thailand or India, to name 3 of many!  The judges mentioned that.  You want to win the show?  Pay attention.  

There were others who failed on that, too, but were not on the losing team.

I agree with this.  You have to know how to play the game, and not give them something obvious to ding you on.  

I think both Toya and Nancy thought that as long as they played the "tie your food into a saccharine story about growing up or your grandmother" card, they'd be safe.  And that's usually the case.  Hell, in Nancy's case, she could've said /best Jack Nicholson voice "I am the mother-fucking abuelita, mother-fucker!" /end Nicholson voice.

Ultimately they were both low-hanging fruit.  But they just made it too easy for the Judges this week. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Amy made a rude remark about something at home, that no she hadn't done whatever it was, but that the kids are alive.  Don't play the home cook Mom angle, then be ugly about it.

It's funny but that moment made me like her.  It didn't come off as ugly to me, more like the sort of sarcastic comment an overworked mom might say after her spouse had criticized something undone while he had been doing nothing around the house lately.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

It's funny but that moment made me like her.  It didn't come off as ugly to me, more like the sort of sarcastic comment an overworked mom might say after her spouse had criticized something undone while he had been doing nothing around the house lately.

I thought it was funny too. "Did you do X?" / "No, but the kids are still alive." :)  First time I saw some personality in her :)

• Love 5
(edited)

My votes for the next star go to Jason and to Cory.  I honestly can't find one female or another male that I feel I could watch on a regular basis.  I watched several weeks of Jason on the baking show he won, and I never tired of him for a second.  He knows what he's talking about, shares excellent knowledge and "tricks" with the viewers, and doesn't use his sense of humor unless it's called for.  I'm really impressed by him.  Cory, I noticed, must have become "himself" at the end of this challenge because he was whooping it up with everyone else.  Gone were the stern, studious facial expressions.  I think he was overly nervous during the first show.  I hope the Star judges haven't become so "high-fallutin" that they look down on chefs who are self-taught unless their names are Addie.  I'm tired of her ads about being the Wonder Woman of Home Cooks.  Cory acknowledged the honors that Bobby mentioned about him but has remained modest in not mentioning them on his own.  I respect him for doing it that way.  Good guys, both of them.

NO to Matthew.  I had enough of him last time around.  Matthew is well-behaved for as long as things are going his way, but beware of his ego and his shenanigans if and when the tide turns against him.  I believe he sees himself as the one to beat, no matter his more modest pronouncements.  He is trying so hard to convince the judges that he's not the same obnoxious know-it-all from the past, and so far, he seems to be succeeding.  I don't hate Matthew at all.  I guess I'm just tired of him.

I'd like to say a word about Aunt Sandy's views on the flowers.  Those gorgeous white lilies paired with deep red roses were stunning,  Even the long-stemmed vases complimented the long and dainty arrangements.  I would have gladly lifted them from the screen for my own home!  Sandra didn't look her best (maybe as a result of her cancer), and I wonder whether she was not feeling well because she's usually complimentary.  "Poop" and other put-downs aren't like her.  In any case, I sure disagreed with her and wished that someone would speak up in that team's defense.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4
On 6/12/2017 at 0:50 AM, backformore said:

I'm confused by the "mini-Martha" label, since I don't even know the contestants names yet, I can't also know their nicknames. 

One contestants, Addie,, made the lavender tea sandwiches.  The other,  Amy, made two different "mosaic" tea sandwiches.  I think that's right. 

I do wish that the "team" element wasn't there.  the worst dish or presentation could be save by having strong team members.  I think the worst PERSON should be eliminated, regardless of team.

One of the contestants worked with Martha.

I met an art director once who worked for Martha on her magazine. She told me she had to get up at 4 am every day, schlep around NYC to pick up things for the day's photos, and drive them to Martha's. She usually got home by 11 pm. She lasted 10 months. I wonder how long Mini-Martha lasted?

• Love 2

I don't think Toya had a snowball's chance of moving forward with that hair.  Food "stars" need for the audience to be focused on their food, not their hair, and it was just too much.  I felt the same about that Aorta girl with the flower on her head.  I think she finally has ditched that decoration and she seems to be more viewer friendly.

Jason--I don't know--I am from the south and have a southern accent too.  But I don't think I would watch his show.  

I have to agree with some of the others.  Probably I would tune in to Matthew over any of the others.  

Whatever happened to that horrid Fleek girl.

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Whatever happened to that horrid Fleek girl.

She was given an online show, which bombed. She's been on The Kitchen and a couple of other shows, but she's basically disappeared into FN oblivion. I haven't seen her at all, in other words.

I am guessing unless someone really shines, the winner will also get an online show. Which is why Matthew was brought back.

Which makes me question FN thinking. If one online show bombed, why would you want to put all your money into another?

• Love 2

I doubt it costs much to host an online show, and I'm not convinced that is what they are looking for.  The ratings for this competition show is the sole purpose.  If they find a jewel then good.  And by jewel I mean a good judge for GGG.  Lol

• Love 6

A 30-second commercial, shot in a studio with music, lights, cameras, personnel... cost around $350,000 to produce (according to a friend of mine at a large ad agency.)

An online show for 20-30 minutes would cost about the same. It's not cheap. If they put the show on TV, advertisers will pay to help offset costs. If an online show has several ad spots thrown in, it will cost less.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

A 30-second commercial, shot in a studio with music, lights, cameras, personnel... cost around $350,000 to produce (according to a friend of mine at a large ad agency.)

An online show for 20-30 minutes would cost about the same. It's not cheap. If they put the show on TV, advertisers will pay to help offset costs. If an online show has several ad spots thrown in, it will cost less.

I was thinking youtube.  

It's my impression (which could be totally wrong, of course) that Food Network already owns or employs much of the infrastructure and personnel that would be needed to film a webcast series.

But, even if they did incur real expenses, I think they'd just consider them the cost of putting on the Food Network Star show itself.  

As I've always said, the only true point of this show is . . . to be this show. 

• Love 2
(edited)

In addition to the other criticisms of Rusty, his [passive voice]" Somehow all of our ingredients didn't make it to the kitchen!"[/passive voice]

Hmm, if only someone (perhaps the first person to demand shopping duties) took responsibility for the screwup.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:25 PM, Aquarius said:

That's some kind of wonderful, right there.  Sandra Lee thinks your food looks like shit and your tablescape is a hot mess.  Anyone who ever watched Semi-Homemade knows just what I mean.

And our future first lady Aunt Sandy criticized someone's dish because it tasted like soup from a can. Which is kind of funny  considering the source.

13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I met an art director once who worked for Martha on her magazine. She told me she had to get up at 4 am every day, schlep around NYC to pick up things for the day's photos, and drive them to Martha's. She usually got home by 11 pm. She lasted 10 months. I wonder how long Mini-Martha lasted?

I knew someone who did media relations for Martha. She lasted almost two years. Her last job before she quit was accompanying Martha on a book tour. As she got off the plane after the last stop, she was so grateful that her ordeal was over that she literally kissed the ground.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5