Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Auditions

• Start Topic

Which is why we end up seeing food that's not nearly as good as they would normally cook...if not on camera, with lights and people shouting, limited ingredients, and 30 minutes to whip up something delicious.

I really disliked Mathew last year, and  was cringing when he walked out. He was pretty obnoxious with his critique, but I hate to admit that he can cook. He also seems like he has finally stopped his obnoxious antics from last season. He did not bother me the rest of the show.

I know that Mathew bumped into that other contestant, but she actually was running and caused the accident. She also almost ran into another contestant.  At this point, she annoys me more than Mathew

The over representation of southern cooks is so annoying. FN is filled with southern or country cooking shows. So sick of hearing about bourbon in cooking and those annoying folksy stupid sayings and southern accents.  We need a little more variety.

And why is Robert Irvine there???  Has he finally fizzled out of all of his other annoying shows? He is such a pompous jerk.  I am also sick of him acting like he is some kind of big tough warrior. He was a cook in the British navy!  He also lied on his resume to FN and got fired before. I can't stand his hypocritical judgemental  personality.  He should not be judging anyone based on his past!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, goldenpuppy said:

I know that Mathew bumped into that other contestant, but she actually was running and caused the accident. She also almost ran into another contestant.  At this point, she annoys me more than Mathew

And why is Robert Irvine there???  Has he finally fizzled out of all of his other annoying shows? He is such a pompous jerk.  I am also sick of him acting like he is some kind of big tough warrior. He was a cook in the British navy!  He also lied on his resume to FN and got fired before. I can't stand his hypocritical judgemental  personality.  He should not be judging anyone based on his past!

That's what I saw, too. The woman Matthew ran into nearly collided with another contestant, as well. I think she does not know how to handle herself in a kitchen.

Could not agree more on Irvine. He has no ethics, very little talent, and he's an unattractive shouty muscle-bound pinhead.

• Love 3

I am not an Irvine fan either.  He comes across as arrogant and pompous.   I am still not sure what the network sees in him that they brought him back after the lied about his background.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, goldenpuppy said:

I really disliked Mathew last year, and  was cringing when he walked out. He was pretty obnoxious with his critique, but I hate to admit that he can cook. He also seems like he has finally stopped his obnoxious antics from last season. He did not bother me the rest of the show.

The over representation of southern cooks is so annoying. FN is filled with southern or country cooking shows. So sick of hearing about bourbon in cooking and those annoying folksy stupid sayings and southern accents.  We need a little more variety.

Noooo!!! Please no! No more Bob Irvine!!! Send him back to cheesy day time b.s. where he belongs....in the afternoon line up BEHIND Jerry Springer and fake court tv.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, goldenpuppy said:

I also disliked Matthew last year, but mostly chalked it up to youthful arrogance.  I feel a little differently towards him (and anyone else who attended CIA) now that I have intimate knowledge of the school and the training they go through as my daughter is now currently attending the school (for baking and pastry).  I think just knowing the rigorous schedule and the discipline and structure of the curriculum goes a long way with me towards understanding him a bit more.  They also really fill the students heads with "this is the BEST school" and how employers are falling all over themselves to hire CIA grads that I also can understand how many people can graduate with an inflated ego.  I really give him a lot of credit towards learning from his previous stints and really practicing and honing his presentation skills.  His cooking never has been in question.  But, I will change my mind quickly if he doesn't settle down.  He was much more mature and calm in Comeback Kitchen.  To me, having won that elevated his ego a bit again. 

16 hours ago, jcbrown said:

That's what I saw, too. The woman Matthew ran into nearly collided with another contestant, as well. I think she does not know how to handle herself in a kitchen.

Yeah, this too.  In any real culinary schools, you're going to learn to handle yourself in any busy kitchen.  Matthew was running a bit like a nut, too, though.  I think it was both of their faults.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, jcbrown said:

Could not agree more on Irvine. He has no ethics, very little talent, and he's an unattractive shouty muscle-bound pinhead.

This is a perfect description of Robert Irvine.  I can't stand his look, his voice, or his facial expressions. 

• Love 3

I still miss Danushka and am sorry that she couldn't continue.  Her sense of humor and her sarcasm could have made for a very engaging show.  I knew she'd never make it to the end with Matthew in the mix, but it might have been fun.  Matthew is another story.  I don't especially care for him, so I wouldn't watch his show.  He's just too, too much.  The one I like a lot is the balding cafeteria manager from Kentucky.  He nearly won the baking competition this past year.  He's a likeable guy with a great sense of humor, and he's entirely "himself" -- no pretenses.  I don't like some of the people who you know are just putting on an act to be liked, but this guy (What's his name?) is 100% himself, and he can be a hoot when he comes out with one of his Kentucky sayings.

No offense meant to the southerners on this board, but I have to agree that there are a few too many contestants from that part of the country.  What's the point of driving it home that you're southern and make "southern dishes?"  Do those people think that northerners have never made deviled eggs and pimiento cheese spread and fried chicken?  Those dishes aren't just southern or northern; they're universal!  I have southern friends whom I love.  Just stop pounding it in, FN!  We're all special, not just some of us!

• Love 1

The one I like a lot is the balding cafeteria manager from Kentucky.  He nearly won the baking competition this past year.  He's a likeable guy with a great sense of humor, and he's entirely "himself" -- no pretenses.  I don't like some of the people who you know are just putting on an act to be liked, but this guy (What's his name?) is 100% himself, and he can be a hoot when he comes out with one of his Kentucky sayings.

His name is Jason and he DID win the holiday baking show.  He's my favorite too.

• Love 1

--I cracked up when they showed Giada daintily nibbling that microscopic morsel of food she had pierced with one tine of her fork.

--Apparently she's cannon fodder, but huzzah to the woman who retired from the space program (?) and took up cooking.  Cool it with the grandbabies, however.

--My curiosity about "What is Chaldean?" and how it vibes with Detroit is almost extinguished by the request to call her Chef Momma Susanne.  Mmm, pass.

--Foolish, the people who don't arrive with half a dozen heartwarming moment scenarios to roll out on command.   I remember being a little anxious about what the neighbor had cooked for me, when suddenly my parents came home from the hospital with my new baby brother.  So now I always associate this dish with family and happiness.

• Love 3
(edited)

That hair on Toya just is not good for me.  I would never eat anything she prepared.  And it took someone a long time to get it that way.

I like Bobby on his Brunch show and on Beat Bobby Flay or whatever it is.

For some reason I don't think he or Giada are being forced into this show.  They have way too much seniority and power.

I miss Susan Fogle what's her name and Bob Tuschman.

I sort of think I would watch Danushka in a show whether she cooked well or not.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 2

Toya got the door Sunday night.  No more worry about her hair (which I realize now was probably not her real hair).

Giada has colored her hair.  I think it looked much better dark.  It has lost its richness.  But that's just what I think.

I think the Martha Stewart lady has a chance.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:34 PM, smiley13 said:

On a happy note, Gee-Ah-Da's dress actually covers her cleavage, lol.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:59 PM, hula-la said:

Well that was short lived. I was half listening and doing some marking to hear Mr. hula-la say "holy cleavage!" 

I thought so too. LOL.  I appreciated the vibrant blue dress and then Whammo!  There was the red one.

I like Jason.  I liked Jason on HBC.  

Toya's hair is fun but NOT for the kitchen.  I can just imagine the amount that would fall into her cooking.

Nancy, you story is great but you can't just tell us who you are.  You have to save time to tell about your food too.  There is a fine line and she can't quite get it.

I liked Rusty and Cory but I like big, lumberjack guys.

The Alabama entertainer with the Beiber hair, he didn't get skewered nearly as much as he deserved for cooking corn on the cob.  He didn't even make the ailoi.  He needs to step it up.

I didn't like Mini Martha Stewart.  Not only is her name dropping obnoxious, I think she is VERY calculating.  She seems sneaky to me.

• Love 2
On 6/11/2017 at 9:22 PM, Anakerie said:

Love Jason but I can't stop thinking of Mr. Garrison. I keep waiting for him to whip out Mr. Hat. Or Mr. Slave...

Don 't like him at all.  It's been bothering me who he reminds me of.  And that's it - Mr. Garrison.  

So I dislike Jason on his own merits, because Mr. Garrison doesn't bother me at all.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:27 AM, GenL said:

I also disliked Matthew last year, but mostly chalked it up to youthful arrogance.

It didn't occur to me at first, but there was poetic justice to Matthew in this episode. In his first season he very memorably told the other competitors "I don't need to take advice from you, only from them." Now they invite him back, ask him to give a tip to the others, and we get talking heads from the others saying they don't need to listen to him. It's great.

• Love 2