Type keyword(s) to search

Ha. The funny thing is that I remembered everything they showed in the "previously on" but then they talked about losing some people and I was trying to remember who those people were.

That said, I really liked the premiere. I'm glad Theresa is starting to move towards working with Camila as more of a partner than a drug mule. I love them together. 

I do wonder why Camila won't divorce Epi, though.

• Love 1

I'm also glad this show is back. Looks like they've got an interesting bunch of new people and situations for Theresa to navigate.

I do wonder why Camila won't divorce Epi, though.

If he gets killed does she automatically gain his stuff?

• Love 1
(edited)

OK, I felt like throwing up at the end when Epifano was eating that taco. Way before I saw that his henchman was roasting on a spit like a pig, I thought good lord, don't tell me that meat in that taco is his daughter. Because when he got home he kept asking where his daughter was and that general never answered so when he bit into that taco, I hurled. Then once I saw that his henchman was roasting like a pig and Epifano says at the end to carve him off some more meat for a taco, I was like for real?! Really?! Like seriously, was that meat in that taco the human flesh of his henchman?!

Anyway, glad this show is back.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2

In a show/movie where a man is introduced to a new world, literally or figuratively, he investigates, he learns. But when the lead is a woman writers often fall back on having her follow people around while they explain things to her and she just reacts. While QotS has had Teresa investigate things, and those were generally the strongest episodes, it does sometimes shove her into the background as a sounding board for other characters. There have been episodes where it seems like she was barely present and episodes where even when she was I struggle to remember what she did. She's the lead. I want to see inside her head, I want to see her work things out, set things up. 

That being said this was stronger than a lot of episodes in the back half of the first season, tho not as strong as the series premiere. They did some different things, like future Teresa's attitude about being lonely and killing people (total opposite of what you usually see). Alice Braga is still aces; she won't move a muscle but you can see Teresa thinking, breaking things down. Her performance is very layered, emotionally, yet subdued because Teresa is compartmentalizing and she doesn't trust the others enough to be vulnerable around them. Braga is gorgeous but has some hard edges to her face and body that serve her so well (I love how she looks softer in her grungy street clothes but in the fancier couture clothing and severe hairstyle she's all harsh, fierce angles).

I don't care about Camilla and Epi's impending divorce, much as I like the characters and actors. Their individual struggles are more interesting. I wonder if Camilla eventually turns on Teresa, if Teresa usurps Camilla, or what. Epifanio having the rug pulled out from under him at the end...ngl, that was a WTF moment. He seriously miscalculated.

• Love 3
On 6/9/2017 at 8:32 PM, slf said:

Alice Braga is still aces; she won't move a muscle but you can see Teresa thinking, breaking things down. Her performance is very layered, emotionally, yet subdued because Teresa is compartmentalizing and she doesn't trust the others enough to be vulnerable around them. Braga is gorgeous but has some hard edges to her face and body that serve her so well (I love how she looks softer in her grungy street clothes but in the fancier couture clothing and severe hairstyle she's all harsh, fierce angles).

This. I love her performance, and I think they did an excellent job casting her. I also like Camilla and Epifanio for the cartoon characters THEY play. It's almost the opposite of Teresa, because they are so over the top, but they bring the fun. That one DEA agent seems to admire Teresa more than her notdead BF does, or is he downplaying her skillz so as not to make her a larger target?

This is one of those shows I don't miss when they are off the air, but am pleased to see them back when they are.

• Love 2
On 6/9/2017 at 8:32 PM, slf said:

In a show/movie where a man is introduced to a new world, literally or figuratively, he investigates, he learns. But when the lead is a woman writers often fall back on having her follow people around while they explain things to her and she just reacts. While QotS has had Teresa investigate things, and those were generally the strongest episodes, it does sometimes shove her into the background as a sounding board for other characters. There have been episodes where it seems like she was barely present and episodes where even when she was I struggle to remember what she did. She's the lead. I want to see inside her head, I want to see her work things out, set things up. 

This is a good point. I like Alice Braga, but I'm not quite sure why at this point. When Braga's character could interact with Justina Machado we got something from her, but watching Teresa simply observe everyone else  is a bit dull for me, especially since I find Camila a bit much.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/11/2017 at 11:26 AM, chick binewski said:

This is a good point. I like Alice Braga, but I'm not quite sure why at this point. When Braga's character could interact with Justina Machado we got something from her, but watching Teresa simply observe everyone else  is a bit dull for me, especially since I find Camila a bit much.

I feel the opposite, I feel like Theresa comes off as already looking like a boss. I don't know what it is... maybe it's the fact that I know she does become the boss because she keeps showing up in her made white suit to talk in the ear of "on her way upthe ladder" Theresa.  But no, that's not it, Braga just plays it IMO as a real boss would play it, they're short on words. They only speak when absolutely necessary, because they know they get farther if they just STFU and listen/observe 90 plus percent of the time instead of running around reacting. They don't run around frantic all the time playing catch up, they act like they are steps ahead, this is how I see Theresa. Theresa also doesn't have the sexy wardrobe, sway of the hips and  that sultry stuff that Camilla's got going on, so she comes off as even colder than Camilla which also makes me see her as a boss even though she's not there yet. So even though Camilla is still in "charge" and sending Theresa off on errands I'm still focused on Theresa, what she's observing and yes, even what she's not saying and doing. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

Man they got me when Tony called, I guess since we hadn't heard from him/about him that they had dealt with him finding out about his mom off screen....but nope.  I like that the older body guard guy (I can't remember his name) really watches out for Theresa, warning her about getting to comfortable and such.

• Love 1

I really hated losing Brenda, and that scene with Tony was so sad. Theresa was just the right balance of elated and mistrustful with her ex. He didn't and doesn't care about anyone but himself. Camila is fun, but there is no way she inspires loyalty. I think it will be fairly simple for Theresa to take over when the time comes. I loved the scene where Theresa told her real story to the "trophy wife" and she thought Theresa was pulling her leg!

• Love 1
(edited)

I love that guy who is looking out for her, he sees something in her. What is his name? I think he's hot, he has a smoldering thing going on with his presence and his voice. I know James is  aesthetically hot  and so is her man who showed back up from the "dead," but the guy looking out for her just has something, that those other you young bloods don't have.  Well her back from the dead man stopped being hot even aesthetically for me the minute I found out he was still alive, sorry, turned off.  No one is ever fine enough to overcome everything and anything for me personally.  Anyway, the scene in the bedroom where I'm going to call him mustache henchman for now, shows Tre how easy it is to come up on her and that she's getting too comfortable with all of Camilla's glitter, was awesome. There's just something about him, then he was cooking... By the way, he can't stand Camilla, I guess she and Epifano are the same to him. I think he and Tre bonded over loyalty to their friends that they lost because people like Epifano and Camilla have no loyalty in his eyes. I think he saw something in Tre when he watched how focused she was on saving her friend Brenda and I think he admired that trait in her. That conversation they had in the car  on the way to save Brenda last season, was all about loyalty to friends who have been loyal to you and how and why did Epifano have to take out his own men like that who were his friends,like brothers to him. 

Also, the scene where he was warning the little girl not to feed the white horse was hilarious. When Tre looks at him and ask him is he serious, I laughed, because I think she meant that, he was scaring the little girl and that wasn't helping.

Edited by Keepitmoving

Alice Braga was fantastic in the reunion scene between Teresa and Guero, I especially like how she played it physically; shaky, feather-light touches, wanting to kiss him but being in such shock she can barely do more than press her lips to him. Really, really good. 

But I don't like how the show had her go to him, unless she's planning something. Or perhaps this is Teresa still being hopeful despite have every reason not to be? Eh. Guero was disloyal; he saved himself and did nothing for her. She was almost murdered a half dozen times, she was raped, she saw her best friend murdered. Now, yeah, that was Epifanio, but it was Guero too.

Teresa loves Tony as if he were her own nephew, so I'm glad they didn't just sweep him under the rug (tho normally I'm not happy to see a child on a show because they rarely add anything). I like the choices they made in the scene where Teresa tells Tony about Brenda; I didn't want to hear her have to tell him that or hear his response. Too heartbreaking. Made me sad for Brenda all over again- she just wanted to save her son.

I, too, cannot remember the name of the henchman loyal to Teresa which I feel bad about because he's pretty cool. I'm glad someone's looking out for her.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2017 at 9:06 AM, urusai said:

Pote

Thanks.

I died laughing when the militia guy asked her if she had her papers because he wasn't married, LOL. He proposed right after she suggested blowing the hole up, hilarious.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

I died laughing when the militia guy asked her if she had her papers because he wasn't married, LOL. He proposed right after she suggested blowing the hole up, hilarious.

That was a great line!

I could see more of Teresa's smarts in getting the militia guys to help with their mission. I think she is still hoping to bring Guero with her because she loves him and loves the memories that they had together. I suspect that's not going to last to long -- it seems as if she is realizing the difference in how James cares about her and how Guero does. While James tells her that their lives and jobs are dangerous, he has typically done things for her best interest even if it was not in his.

Should be interesting.

• Love 1

I think Pote is falling for Teresa.

How old is Isabela?  It looked like Epifanio made a toast and she was drinking champagne.  He even told the server to limit Bela's friend to just 2 drinks.  I thought she was still in high school.

16 minutes ago, urusai said:

How old is Isabela?  It looked like Epifanio made a toast and she was drinking champagne.  He even told the server to limit Bela's friend to just 2 drinks.  I thought she was still in high school.

Isn't she graduating?  Either way, the legal age in Mexico is 18 but I remember people in high school who went and had no problem getting served alcohol even though they were younger than that.  Their impression was that carding/checking IDs really wasn't what it is in the US.

• Love 1

This episode was fun! Loved Theresa getting herself out of a mess AND rescuing James and recruiting the militia guys! She really catches on quickly and she made an excellent argument. Plus, I think she is realizing that her ex is not really looking out for her, and she's learned to take care of herself and will continue to do so no matter what he decides!

15 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Didn't James ask whether she was going to call him? I liked that moment of levity with them. They need to do that more. I even wanted Theresa to thank Camila for the car. You can be hard, but you don't have to be ALL the time. She needs to start to build more rapport with Camila if they are going to work together.

• Love 1

I thought the scorpion-induced hallucination was heavy-handed but otherwise I really enjoyed this episode, contained as it was. Teresa rolling into that awful militia camp and talking those guys into becoming her own army to accomplish her mission with James....this is a woman who can become a leader. Not surprised Carl, the militia guy, was making heart eyes at her- Teresa is awesome. More of this, show.

So the show continues to set up James and Teresa. While I don't know how I feel about them yet I will say I like him as a character more than I like Guero. Guero seems like such a weasel, when push comes to shove. (Maybe the douchey facial hair is prejudicing me against him?)

Pote is one of my favorite characters. I love his loyalty to Teresa; he knows that while she has what it takes to survive in their world, she's not cruel or greedy. She's still a good person. Here's hoping she learns from him because he's absolutely right: you can't trust Camilla for shit.

...Isabella still looks like a late twenties/early thirties woman. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Isn't she graduating?  Either way, the legal age in Mexico is 18 but I remember people in high school who went and had no problem getting served alcohol even though they were younger than that.  Their impression was that carding/checking IDs really wasn't what it is in the US.

I imagine Epifanio would want to appear to be the watchful and conscientious adult, and part of that would be to limit the drinking of his daughter's friends. And I bet he suspects that friend probably needs to be watched carefully anyway, so I can see him publicly telling the waitstaff to limit her alcohol intake.

As to drinking in general, I chaperoned a high school trip to Mexico, and the welcome reception provided by the hotel included an alcoholic punch, so things are definitely a little looser there. (The adults were the last in line, so none of us realized the punch was spiked until it was too late. So we said, "OK, you all got away with something here. Enjoy it, because the 'No Drinking' rule will be strictly enforced for the rest of the trip."

(edited)

In the second episode when Camilla tells Teresa, "Now tell me, are you going to wear that dress or continue to let it wear you?" I wanted to laugh. Teresa looked gorgeous in that dress and was wearing the hell out of it.

Camilla's not working for me this season. She's pure performance- not caricature, no, but closer to that than anything authentic. It's 50% the writing ("when at war, it's best to strike your enemy when he least expects it"? Sun Tzu she ain't; it won't be this woman's tutelage that turns Teresa into the Queen of the South, not with this lame fortune cookie-level advice) but also the actress. The way she walks, she's so posed; it feels more self-conscious than confident.

Do we have a backstory for her? I don't remember much beyond she was married to Epifanio and eventually turned against him. Was she ever a mule, has she personally killed people prior to becoming a leader, etc? 

Edited by slf
  • Love 1

What kind of DEA group goes up against well armed and brutal cartel with nothing but pistols and a shotgun?  Oh well, RIP Tex, or whatever your name was here. 

Regardless of the failure of the raid to pick up the gang, it's still a calamity for Camilla, because she lost the entire shipment now.  That does not bode well.

I was glad that Teresa managed to warn off the DEA agent, although those messages stay on the phone. 

This show is almost Shakespearean in the constant betrayals and plotting, even among family members.  Isabella needs to get away before someone kills her for being in the wrong place.

8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Regardless of the failure of the raid to pick up the gang, it's still a calamity for Camilla, because she lost the entire shipment now.  That does not bode well.

I'm surprised Camilla's lasted this long, honestly. If it weren't for her crew... I'm starting to wonder how long she has and if she's killed or just usurped. Her relief at Epifanio surviving the "assassination attempt: was clearly about more than just their daughter's feelings. I don't think she has what it takes to destroy or kill him and I don't think that's going to work out well for her in the long run. 

So the series premiere opened with a sniper shooting Teresa in the head. This season opened with Teresa having sex with a man, tallish and slim but muscular with brown hair, and then killing him. Decent chance that James is either the one that shot her or the one she shot. (I do hope I'm wrong about that.)

8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I was glad that Teresa managed to warn off the DEA agent, although those messages stay on the phone. 

Yeah, I was thinking, "oh, girl, he's gonna see those messages later." Or he could just ask the DEA lady later why she left. Either way: uh oh, Teresa.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:34 AM, Dowel Jones said:

The app that she used looked kinda like SnapChat so I figured that the messages would disappear once the DEA agent read them. That's the only way that scene made sense to me.

I like Teresa doing runs and being out in the field more, especially with James- they have a really good dynamic. I don't know when they intend to turn her into a queenpin but I hope it's not before at least the back half of season three. 

• Love 1

Wow, Guero. Way to go. Your contact is a spiteful ex-girlfriend who kind of hates you and you don't tell anyone that. God he can't die fast enough.

Teresa is made of steel. I wouldn't have been half as forgiving as her tho she had a pretty unbeatable incentive. Loved her scenes with the captain; brutal as that woman is she has good reason. 

• Love 3

"You wanna smoke, young lady? Here, you sit down and smoke the whole pack!" As tiny as she is you'd think Teresa's head would've exploded from all that snorting. Plus she's not a regular user so her body wouldn't be adapted to it.

Now that's how you deliver divorce papers. Camila does not play. Looks like her enforcer might be having some second thoughts though. He just had to kill one of his oldest friends and his kid's godfather.

Why was everyone making such a big deal about Teresa being Mexican? Do the other South and Central American countries have a particular problem with Mexico?

That was a nice effect showing those bullets falling into the pool all around Teresa. Getting pushed into the water probably saved her life. But it looks like she might've moved from the frying pan into the fire. Next up, creepy cult guy.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Now that's how you deliver divorce papers. Camila does not play. Looks like her enforcer might be having some second thoughts though. He just had to kill one of his oldest friends and his kid's godfather.

That's the mistake Epifanio made with Pote, he had him kill one of his own friends. So Pote changed sides to work with Teresa. Camila is ultimately no smarter than Epifanio.

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That was a nice effect showing those bullets falling into the pool all around Teresa.

I was thinking that, too. Such a great scene.

Let's see, in the 72 hours or so that Guero's officially been a part of Teresa's life she's: been set up, was forced to almost overdose (looked like she was about to have a heart attack), got set up again, was tied to a chair and kicked into a pool to drown, and was abducted and chained up. 

I was James this whole episode. From his bitchy "give me back my knife" to him glaring daggers at Guero during the confrontation at the bar/club, to his exasperated "it's over!" when Guero had the audacity to suggest they continue on with the deal. Kill 'im James, kill 'im.

• Love 4

WTAF? At first I was wondering if Teresa was hallucinating. Turns out she was, except for the part where she wasn't but I wished I were.

Steven Bauer playing yet another psycho drug kingpin. He's getting typecast.

Good grief, Teresa goes on some kind of Teachings of Don Juan meets Día de los Muertos meets Choose Your Own Adventure meets Groundhog Day trip.

Camila's got herself a full-service lawyer right there.

Aw, Isabella finally broke bad.

• Love 3

Kudos to the makeup folks. For the last two weeks Isabella's  makeup has made her strongly resemble her Camilla, much more so than before, IMHO.

Want to make sure I have nightmare when I go to sleep at night, enlist girls to run around in creepy devil mask....that was quite the trip, I am kind of hoping any dealings with him are now off screen.....

• Love 2

James didn't kill Guero; too bad. I was really hoping he would. Who the hell, when trapped in a cell facing the very real possibility of dying (and having just seen their captors carrying around a dead animal with a man's head attached to it), picks a fight over someone trying to "steal" your "girl"? You're a fucking child, indeed.

Poor Teresa. Barely rescued Brenda and Tony from Epifanio's men, was hunted by them, was raped, was in a car crash, had to walk who knows how far in the desert with a wounded leg and no water, was kidnapped, had to become a mule to avoid being sex trafficked, has been shot at, has had to kill people, her best friend was beaten to death. All of this because Guero was a dipshit and stole from Epifanio. In the past 72 hours she has been forced to almost overdose, has almost drowned, was abducted again, and had to eat a poisoned bug. All this to keep Guero alive. No man is worth this.

So her drug-induced hallucinations: where those supposed to be her fears or desires or what? Because in one Guero dies and in the other she and James kissed before Guero murdered him. Drastically different.

I continue to not care about Isabella and this sounds awful but I hope she either dies or joins a convent or whatever, because every time the show cuts away from the action to her my blood pressure spikes. She is annoying and boring and also pretty stupid.

Everything involving El Santo was weird and exasperating. I may be starting to enjoy King George.

• Love 6

How exactly did the Bolivian Captain escape the ambush in the swimming pool?  Were the bad guys as incompetent as the Army guys at weapons use?  Oh, well.  She got hers for being just as stupid.  As so eloquently stated by Tuco long ago, "If you're going to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."

• Love 1

This is the first time I feel like Camila was actually trying to teach Teresa something. Tho I think her plan to get the money from Epifanio by using their daughter is going to work against her in the long run (if only with her own people), especially considering Epifanio had several of her potential customers brutally murdered. 

The flashback to Epifanio's childhood was hilarious. The music was too much. Also hilarious was the giant pack of cocaine strapped to the drone.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, slf said:

Also hilarious was the giant pack of cocaine strapped to the drone.

Forgive me, but all I could think of was it being dropped by the drone on someone's head.

• Love 5

The seeds were sown in this last episode for James to begin resenting Teresa's usurping of his place as Camilla's right-hand man.  No fault of Teresa's. She just has good instincts for this business (to the point of being Mary Sue-ish ). If the show puts them together, I think it's already doomed. 

The El Loco drug guy they're now buying the drugs from cautioned Teresa twice about a traitor in their midst. The obvious inference would be Guero, which is exactly why I think it can't be him. Could James be an undercover agent, or is it someone back in the states? That thread has been left dangling.

• Love 1

Loved Camila's velvet dress.

Camila's messing with different kind of criminal with this Devon guy. Meanwhile, I wonder if she and her gang of merry misfits will ever get around to Albuquerque?

Poor Guero. I really don't understand why Camila hasn't had him killed--other than respect for Teresa, that is.

Why did General Cortez try to recruit James instead of just killing him? He'd never have been able to trust him.

That was slick the way Camila handled her lawyer's wife. The wife was dumb to try to confront her anyway. Her husband is the one she should be holding accountable.

• Love 2
(edited)

That was slick the way Camila handled her lawyer's wife. The wife was dumb to try to confront her anyway. Her husband is the one she should be holding accountable.

LOL, that was the sexiest thing, the way she handled that wife. Now that's what real grown ass women do, damn that was smooth. "I'm sorry for this misunderstanding...", LOL

I mean let's face it, he's scratching Camilla's itch and she's fulfilling his fantasy. Camilla is a Queepin, she doesn't want any man for keeps, unless it's Epifano and even he is expendable because her business/power comes before him. Little does that girl know, that she has nothing to worry about. She can continue to remain the trophy wife and just be eye candy on her husband's arm if she so chooses.

Another moment that had me cracking up was Pote out a breath and trying to keep up with Tre and Guero, running up those nine flights of stairs. Also when he told those bouncers at the party not to touch him. He has some funny moments.

I forgot, good to see Devon AKA Marlo from the Wire. "Marlo" is a true Kingpin now, a long way from the rough streets of Baltimore, LOL. Also good to see MC Lyte as well.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Another moment that had me cracking up was Pote out a breath and trying to keep up with Tre and Guero, running up those nine flights of stairs. Also when he told those bouncers at the party not to touch him. He has some funny moments.

I laughed at that moment too, which felt funny laughing during this rather dark show at times.  I also love Pote, I will be sad if anything ever happens to him....

• Love 1
On 7/28/2017 at 2:47 PM, Keepitmoving said:

I mean let's face it, he's scratching Camilla's itch and she's fulfilling his fantasy. Camilla is a Queepin, she doesn't want any man for keeps, unless it's Epifano and even he is expendable because her business/power comes before him.

Camila's body is rockin.' When, praytell, does she exercise?

Starting to really, really hate Guero. Let him go, Teresa!!

(Is Guero considered mestizo?)

On 2017-06-30 at 5:25 PM, slf said:

This won't end well between James and Teresa but I'm on board. 

The thing if James was smart and thinking long term Teresa would be a good wife if he plans to stay in this business. James is a white American and the cartels are one of the few businesses where that isn't an advantage. It makes him suspicious and need to prove himself even more to most of the other people in the business. Having a Mexican wife would help with that a lot. 

4 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

The thing if James was smart and thinking long term Teresa would be a good wife if he plans to stay in this business. James is a white American and the cartels are one of the few businesses where that isn't an advantage. It makes him suspicious and need to prove himself even more to most of the other people in the business. Having a Mexican wife would help with that a lot. 

Peter Gadiot, who plays James, is Mexican-Dutch. The actor playing Guero is white. There have been several hints in the show that James perhaps doesn't want to stay in the business long-term (warning Teresa against catching Camila's attention because it makes it harder for you to get out, saying he has a plan for his future, "the only way to get out is to move up", etc.).

• Love 1