Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: A Prayer for Mad Sweeney

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

It must be a thin book then because there hasn't been much plot given nearly seven hours of show. 

It's not a thin book at all, but the book is really more interested in character, theme, and atmosphere than a speedy plot. The plot is important, but a lot of it is something of an excuse to explore aspects of Americana and the various peoples and cultures in the US, and what they mean in the modern day. There's quite a bit in the book that dosnt really have much plot, it's just Shadow learning about the Gods, or stuff like the Coming to America segments. So the slow pace isn't bothering me. I do wish we had a few more episodes this season though. 

• Love 5

I love character driven stories so this is right up my alley. While I'm curious to see where it all leads I'm enjoying the character and world building. 

Although, I do agree that I wish the season was just a bit longer. I actually thought it was 10 episodes, was shocked to find out that Episode 8 is the season finale.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, yagathai said:

I'm starting to think of this show as less of an episodic large-arc show like Sopranos or Deadwood, and more like a Red Shoe Diaries where there are a series of vignettes held together with a loose framing element.

I like character driven too, but that doesn't mean you have to completely abandon plot (which isn't 100% true). If they want to do vignettes, then just flat out do that, and have Shadow's story pop in and out once or twice. I think they're trying to have it both ways. "Beautiful" just isn't a sustainable show imo. That wears off after a time. 

I know I keep carping on this, but there's something that I find so achingly sad about Mad Sweeney's description of America as a "land with no time for magic."  

• Love 4

That was a great episode. It is kind of amazing, i had thought that the slow moving plot and not enough McShane were things i didn't like. But this show barely touched the main plot and had no Mcshane and it was awesome. 

On 2017-6-21 at 2:54 PM, starri said:

I know I keep carping on this, but there's something that I find so achingly sad about Mad Sweeney's description of America as a "land with no time for magic."  

The idea of forgotten gods is an interesting one. At least most people still know what a leprechaun is.It would be interesting to see more gods that almost no one knows.

I had somehow missed this episode and watched it after the finale.  One thing that struck me is that in this one there's lots of talk about kings, and the finale is all about queens.