Type keyword(s) to search

You Have All the Clues You Need!: The Return & Its Many Clues

(edited)

I thought it might be helpful to have a thread with nothing but clues given in The Return, along with their solutions when (if?) we get them as the season unfolds.  

No spoilers, but speculation is fine and fun. :)

Caveat:  I realize "clues" is a dicey proposition with a Lynch work:  

• On one hand, we had the Giant's clues at the start of TP S2, and they turned out to be helpful to both Cooper and the audience.
  • On the other hand, in FWWM we have the silliness of Gordon's Cousin Lil and her clues; I mean, the clues were substantive but an audience could only figure them out with Desmond's explanation.  So who knows how intelligible The Return's clues will actually be...but try, we must!

I'll start:

Part 1

Post-opening-credits B&W Scene, the Giant tells Cooper:

"Listen to the sounds." (They both look at victrola making scratching sounds.)

"It is in our house now."

Cooper: "It is?"  [Closed captioning doesn't punctuate it as a question, but Cooper, to my ears, inflects it as a question.]

Giant: "It all cannot be said aloud now.  Remember 4 3 0.  Richard and Linda.  Two birds with one stone."

Cooper: "I understand."

Giant: "You are far away."  (Cooper disappears.)

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 4
(edited)

Another Part 1 clue:

Log Lady (to Hawk on phone): Something is missing and you have to find it.  It has to do with Special Agent Dale Cooper.

Hawk: Dale Cooper? What is it?

Log Lady: The way you will find it has something to do with your heritage.  This is a message from the log.

Hawk: Okay, Margaret.  Thank you.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Penman61 said:

I just re-listened to both scenes--Victrola (Ep 1) and Cooper at the slots (Ep 3)--and I didn't hear the same sounds myself.  Hmmm...

Supposedly when you speed it up or un-distort? it or filter it somehow, it's the same. Jangling of coins, maybe. I haven't checked the post in awhile.

36 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Supposedly when you speed it up or un-distort? it or filter it somehow, it's the same. Jangling of coins, maybe. I haven't checked the post in awhile.

I couldn't find that post at Reddit.  And as I'm sure most fans know, Lynch designs his own sound, so it's every bit as complex and layered as his imagery.  If you start to isolate and distort elements in that sound, I imagine one could hear many different things.  But I had both clips open in two tabs, and went back and forth between them many times.  I couldn't hear it.  :)  Thanks for the info. 

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

Purely personal observation here, but I thought the Victrola scratch was the sound heard when the Black Lodge's portal to our/other worlds was open enough to cross over.

That jibes with what the Giant says to Cooper, i.e., "Listen to the sounds" = "the portal is opening for you to return."  

• Love 2

Since what we saw with Becky yesterday I keep wondering about that scene with Shelly, James, and that Balthazar Getty character (Red). I can't help thinking that James is Becky's father and that's why she remembers him fondly even though they barely interacted in the original show (and if she and Bobby are long split - I have no idea - then her being with James after James was also with Laura would have set Bobby off something fierce). And Red is so oily - at first I thought this meant Shelly was again drawn to a questionable man, but now I have to wonder if he will end up being to Becky what Ben Horne, Leo, and the Renaults were to Laura. 

• Love 1

Is Cooper wearing a wedding ring? Did Dopplecooper scatter a bunch of engraved rings between NV & SD? Did Black Lodge send Cooper the ring belonging to Vegas Dougie?  

I was listening to this (I should warn there are some crass references to the idea of Bob Cooper raping Audrey and also shows some pretty horrific images from FWWM) and they listed the various supernatural elements that crept up in this episode.

It made me think more about the lack of mention of Annie in general and her importance to the narrative. Hawk and Frank had no real memory or thought of her, or mention that she was Norma's sister. I don't know if I would have thought much about this is not for the Mark Frost book that completely rewrites Norma's backstory (saying that her mother was ill and died and that's why Norma took over the diner, when in canon, we saw her still-living mother and they weren't on good terms). The book also has no mention of Annie whatsoever that I can remember. 

Between that and the strange mish-mash of characters in the diner in the last episode, I tend to wonder if there are parallel worlds ("between two worlds," as Lynch named some of his material around the time the show's revival was announced, I think), possibly created by Bob Cooper and the arm's doppelganger to try to keep themselves around and in power. 

There's also the whole thing with the humming at the hotel. If Jade and Dougie were in another dimension and mailed the keys out, then they might have still gone to the other one, due to their years in the Black Lodge, but they would probably seem odd or different...or humming, maybe. 

This video also suggests Linda in the trailer park = Audrey, which I hadn't really thought about.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

This video also suggests Linda in the trailer park = Audrey, which I hadn't really thought about.

Perfect! 

Thanks for that video!

Here's another theory I saw this morning. This one claims the windows in the FBI plane carrying the agents and Diane to SD were altered in post and they contain some sort of code. It's interesting -- but way above my pay grade to figure out.

6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Here's another theory I saw this morning. This one claims the windows in the FBI plane carrying the agents and Diane to SD were altered in post and they contain some sort of code. It's interesting -- but way above my pay grade to figure out.

My God.  I...wow.  What on earth could that be?  Occam's razor says it was some digital artist just dressing up the scene, i.e., adding sunlight reflections to the windows, but...I don't even know anymore with this show.  Could be code.  Could be electricity emanating from some as-yet unidentified lodge crossover figure inside the plane (Tammy?).  

On 6/22/2017 at 1:53 AM, Nashville said:

Whatever Lynch is smoking, I want some.

It would turn out to be owl pellets from evil giant owls that subsist on gigantic, bloated, mouth climbing frog flies......

• Love 1
(edited)

So with all the various theories (Candie is like Dougie, Candie is a completely false construct, Candie is Laura, the Dougieverse is an alternate universe, Red is using magic to control Shelly, Shelly and Becky killed Leo and that's the secret her husband threatened her with, and so on), here are a few more bits.

I doubt this one was intentional, but I hope it was just so I can officially declare these as canon and that the weird Cooper in this one was actually bad Cooper pretending to be the real thing. Anyway, some fans suggested that Albert pulling Gordon from the void was similar to Dale saving the woman from the Black Lodge in the Japanese coffee commercials.

Edited by Pete Martell

Those commercials are eerie. I wonder if anyone knows the name of the actress in the ads? Is she the same woman from the purple space castle? 

Here's something someone else on Twitter caught. (Go through the whole Tweet -- it's a thread of images suggesting some parallels between Dougie and Mr C.)

I wonder what the red shoes are going to mean in the end. Maybe Dougie will click his heels and go back to Twin Peaks? Who knows. I'm trying to remember how many times we've seen the red shoes from the time they were given prominence a few episodes ago. Janey-E, Diane (flats), Shelly...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, IDFfm0870 said:

What if Linda is Richard's good twin?

I've heard people say Candie might be Linda, disconnected somehow the way Dale is in Dougie.

I saw a lot of fan comment about Ed last night, namely that at one point his reflection seemed to be moving in different patterns (I think it was still eating soup when he had stopped), which he noticed and was rattled by. 

And of course there are the ever-present Audrey coma theories...

Then there's also what's going on with Sarah. I think she's in a time loop.

4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I saw a lot of fan comment about Ed last night, namely that at one point his reflection seemed to be moving in different patterns (I think it was still eating soup when he had stopped), which he noticed and was rattled by. 

I watched the clip posted on Reddit but I couldn't see anything because of the glare on my monitor. I'll rewatch in a darker space!

I also rewatched episode one and found a lot of interesting things related to later episodes. So, in case anyone hasn't seen episode 12 and 13 yet, please skip. 

In Ep one, can anyone help with this or point me to theories I missed:

When Hawk takes the call from the Log Lady, it's clearly the middle do the night. The window behind his back is pitch black, revealing a dark night sky. After he retrieves the boxes, he takes them to the conference room where it's like, the middle of the day! He then instructs Lucy and Andy to retrieve the boxes they've stored related to Agent Cooper and they'll start work "in the morning."  Thoughts?

When Mackley and the other guy from SD use their warrant to search Bob Hastings' car, a few things: 

Mackley's broken flashlight sputters light into the car trunk like the spotlight flashing in Dougie's backyard where Sonny Jim plays on his new playset. 

Thoughts on how Ike's palm wound up in the trunk of Mackley's car? Was that some clue sent by the White Lodge? If so, how did they get it out of the evidence bag? 

EW resident fanboy (whose TP stuff I enjoy very much so that's a compliment not a slam) posted this interesting theory: 

And I think he's on to something! 

Oh and one final thing!

In episode 1 (again), Beverly approaches Richard to tell him about the guest who's complaining about the skunk in her room and, later, Jerry tells Ben he's gonna take has major satvia-(indica?) induced high on the road and head out to the woods. While we saw Beverly and Ben again in later episodes, the resolution to the skunk situation and Jerry's emergence came only last week. I am really hoping I'll understand all the timeline stuff by the end of the season! 

Edited by Guest
Sonny Jim is a boy/poor knowledge of weed strains

Sorry! I had a minor procedure today and am feeling a bit loopy and am relaxing watching TP episodes in random order and, naturally, because I am a dim person at heart, have thoughts (likely already asked and answered somewhere) and questions! 

Episode 11:

Callers swamp the TP Sheriff's department with calls to complain about Becky ("Fuck you, Stephen" [Fuck you, Gordon!]) shooting out the apartment door. Switchboard operator, using her high-tech, modern-day equipment, answers all 9-1-1 ("1-1-9"!) calls with, "Sheriff's department. Someone's on the way." Until a line rings to her left. She picks up a decidedly low-tech, multi-line phone, one I distinctly remember my friend's dad using in 1982, and repeats the same phrases and tells this caller, and all the others, the same thing, "Help is on the way."

I wonder who called her using the 1980s-ish phone? Is Becky alt-timeline Diane? Is the Vegas drug mom signaling someone in 1991 Twin Peaks to call the operator for help? Is the past/present/future timeline even a thing here? Who knows! Clearly, I do not. 

Somewhat relatedly, Stephen has been missing for two days (ep 13). Billy has been missing for two days. (Same ep.) Wonder if they're the same person? Did they run off to help the Farm gang with Mr. C's agenda since it seems he has quite the coalition of dirtbags, Richard included. 

The letters BOB places under his victims' fingernails always perplexed me.  He admits he was spelling out his proper name "Robert" but the letters are in a random order.  My first thought was that he used "T" for Teresa since she had a T in her name (it actually starts with T), then uses an "R" for Laura since she has an R in her name...but even though he uses an "O" for Maddy (Ferguson has an O in it), this theory falls apart with Ronette since her name doesn't contain a "B" which is found under her fingernail (and does contain both an "E" and the second "R")

Since Mr C's accidental slip of "yrev" while being interrogated by the FBI agents provides a clue that the Lodge creatures are more naturally used to speaking backwards (like this was a "native language" for them where forward speech in our realm is a bit more like a "second language" to them), i started to look back at the fingernail letters as being spelled backwards and this actually almost works with one slight snag...

T=Teresa

R=Laura

B=Ronette

O=Maddy

R=(BOB got caught before he good place an "R" on someone)

This leaves out the "E" - so could BOB have actually been responsible for someone's death between the time he tagged Laura and Ronette and the letter just never got discovered since no one connected BOB with it and thought to look for it?

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, paigow said:

Is Cooper wearing a wedding ring? Did Dopplecooper scatter a bunch of engraved rings between NV & SD? Did Black Lodge send Cooper the ring belonging to Vegas Dougie?  

The recent scene with Ray being transported to the black lodge via ring portal would seem to indicate that Philip Jeffries is handing out rings and may be the Lodge's gatekeeper? 

It doesn't seem like Dopple Cooper is distributing rings, it seems like someone else is trying to put the ring on him. 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Giant Misfit said:

I wonder who called her using the 1980s-ish phone? Is Becky alt-timeline Diane? Is the Vegas drug mom signaling someone in 1991 Twin Peaks to call the operator for help? Is the past/present/future timeline even a thing here? Who knows! Clearly, I do not. 

We know one person who has issues with modern telephone technology?

A few other theories I saw going around...

That Diane and Janey-E are "sisters" in that a part of Diane was taken to make Janey-E, which is why they have such different personalities. 

That whatever is in Sarah went to the bar and killed the guy so she would be arrested, put in jail, and kill the eyeless woman next week.

Interesting note from a dude on Reddit - may pass some other stuff along later:

Freddy's glove is made of rubber, a non-conductive, insulating material. So he has super strength and he's immune to electricity (spirit fuel).

Also, green is its color. Like the formica table. Another insulating material.

• Love 1

I keep thinking I'm just assuming the worst about Becky, but then I remember how random I felt it was that Frank Truman has a dead child, as it was mostly just brought up as a quasi-explanation about his wife and to remind us that Chad is a loathsome human being. It would make a sick kind of sense now, given that he works with Bobby and Bobby would go off the rails immediately. 

19 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I really think that hole in the window at the trailer could just be from where the coffee cup came out. But who knows.

You're probably right. There are just so many scattered things that make me wonder. I would think there isn't enough time left in the show (three very packed episodes) to have this type of plot - there wouldn't be much time for grief, and if they have Shelly's boyfriend Red involved, there wouldn't be much time for that either (something like Bobby going after him or something along those lines - they don't really have time for that at this point surely?). I should learn my instincts about this show are usually wrong (I thought that Chantal and Hutch would have gotten to Dougieland a month ago and that everyone in the story would get bumped off). 

14 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

You're probably right. There are just so many scattered things that make me wonder. I would think there isn't enough time left in the show (three very packed episodes) to have this type of plot - there wouldn't be much time for grief, and if they have Shelly's boyfriend Red involved, there wouldn't be much time for that either (something like Bobby going after him or something along those lines - they don't really have time for that at this point surely?). I should learn my instincts about this show are usually wrong (I thought that Chantal and Hutch would have gotten to Dougieland a month ago and that everyone in the story would get bumped off). 

Although the thing could end with a body wrapped in plastic because violence/the struggle will be ongoing. The last scene could be Bobby's stricken face as his daughter's face is unwrapped. 

To add I think this is pretty likely and we'll watch Bobby cry as was foreshadowed by his crying over Laura's picture. But after the credits will be some black lodge image, such asowls, convenience store, Bob's Cheshire Cat grin. 

Edited by Affogato
Additional thought
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Affogato said:

Although the thing could end with a body wrapped in plastic because violence/the struggle will be ongoing. The last scene could be Bobby's stricken face as his daughter's face is unwrapped. 

To add I think this is pretty likely and we'll watch Bobby cry as was foreshadowed by his crying over Laura's picture. But after the credits will be some black lodge image, such asowls, convenience store, Bob's Cheshire Cat grin. 

I don't think they'd do the wrapped in plastic again, but I could see him reacting to Becky's death as being one of the last scenes. I really hope not as that would be such a bleak end for Bobby and Shelly in what will likely be their final appearances. 

I saw this comment on an Audrey Youtube video. It actually would make sense:

Here's my basic thought: The Audrey situation clearly is existential. And the whole season 3 is existentially motivated (remember: even the evolution of the arm says NON-EXISTENT, whatever exactly he's referring to). The question of season 3 is as far as I'm concerned: What is real? And the Audrey situation is part of a bigger picture. I reckon there are several indicators now that a sort of timeline thing is going on where scenes are mirrored, e.g. Dougie with fork vs. woman crawling in the Roadhouse. But also for example scenes like Ed/Norma --> bad end, Ed/Norma --> good end. I assume some scenes are alternate scenes rather than scenes in the same timeline. Indicated also by the shifting Double-R "Have you seen Billy?" scene.

Very, very simplified: There's a world tainted by Bad Coop, and one tainted by Good Dougie. In Bad Coop Twin Peaks people seem to be locked in their existential loops or downward spirals (Sarah, Audrey, Richard etc.). Also in this timeline: the zombie kid, Bobby's marriage going downhill etc. Simpleton Dougie on then other hand made everyone happy. Even in episode 15 Janey-E says "It's like a dream world". That's true, it is too good to be true. He's luck personified. ("Heeelloooo!") In this context I assume that Audrey is unable to escape in one timeline and probably is dead in the other, which is why we have never seen any proper interactions of her. Richard probably is Bad Coop's son in one timeline, and another reality bleeds into her in her comatose state, like a dream

. Similar things happen in both worlds, and both worlds are fighting for supremacy. I assume both "realities" might turn out to be illusions and Bob/Dougie will eventually merge into a final timeline, comprising parts of both worlds. The "Dreamer" is the one watching the show, seeing both versions that will turn out as non-existent, but the final result will be only possible because the timelines split.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I don't think they'd do the wrapped in plastic again, but I could see him reacting to Becky's death as being one of the last scenes. I really hope not as that would be such a bleak end for Bobby and Shelly in what will likely be their final appearances. 

Yes it would but it seems to fit.  Very noir  well, we will see soon enough. 

6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I saw this comment on an Audrey Youtube video. It actually would make sense:

Here's my basic thought: The Audrey situation clearly is existential. And the whole season 3 is existentially motivated (remember: even the evolution of the arm says NON-EXISTENT, whatever exactly he's referring to). The question of season 3 is as far as I'm concerned: What is real? And the Audrey situation is part of a bigger picture. I reckon there are several indicators now that a sort of timeline thing is going on where scenes are mirrored, e.g. Dougie with fork vs. woman crawling in the Roadhouse. But also for example scenes like Ed/Norma --> bad end, Ed/Norma --> good end. I assume some scenes are alternate scenes rather than scenes in the same timeline. Indicated also by the shifting Double-R "Have you seen Billy?" scene.

Very, very simplified: There's a world tainted by Bad Coop, and one tainted by Good Dougie. In Bad Coop Twin Peaks people seem to be locked in their existential loops or downward spirals (Sarah, Audrey, Richard etc.). Also in this timeline: the zombie kid, Bobby's marriage going downhill etc. Simpleton Dougie on then other hand made everyone happy. Even in episode 15 Janey-E says "It's like a dream world". That's true, it is too good to be true. He's luck personified. ("Heeelloooo!") In this context I assume that Audrey is unable to escape in one timeline and probably is dead in the other, which is why we have never seen any proper interactions of her. Richard probably is Bad Coop's son in one timeline, and another reality bleeds into her in her comatose state, like a dream

. Similar things happen in both worlds, and both worlds are fighting for supremacy. I assume both "realities" might turn out to be illusions and Bob/Dougie will eventually merge into a final timeline, comprising parts of both worlds. The "Dreamer" is the one watching the show, seeing both versions that will turn out as non-existent, but the final result will be only possible because the timelines split.

Good post. 

Besides her exotic beauty I did think of Monica bellucci as an actor in the Matrix, a story that also references Lewis Carroll (Neo goes down the rabbit hole; in the dream Bellucci mentions the dreamer, e.g. The red king.) other than that Bellucci seems random although we know Lynch likes girls :-) and coffee  so having a dream with a beautiful girl and coffee, like this and twin peaks, ,ahem, not too surprising  

i do think the lodges are an ongoing struggle and I imagine there is a dreamer in show as well as the audience. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 2

So, what about "Richard and Linda" now??

If Major Garland Briggs is perhaps Judy, and Naido is possibly Diane, what other name games did we all miss?

I so much want Coop and Audrey to be the end game.

• Love 1

I know people have said this before, but the theories about all the booth scenes and possibly even the performances all being in Audrey's head makes more sense to me now. It also makes more sense of the different tone we get to the Roadhouse outside of the booth moments (the moments with James in episode 15 and one of the first episodes - that and Richard's into were some of the only Roadhouse scenes that seem connected to the larger plot, I don't remember much live music - instead they had everyone getting excited over an old ZZ Top recording).

I also think that Dale saying he'll be coming home to the red door (paraphrasing) means he will choose to return to the Lodge (with a tulpa taking his places with the Jones' and their own red door).

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I don't think everything in the Roadhouse is in Audrey's head - not most of the performances, not stuff with Shelly, James, Freddie, Renee, Chad and Richard, etc. I think many of the random booth scenes may be.

AFAIK Coop can exist in the real world with a tulpa, just not his actual doppelgänger. The Bad Dale coexisted with Dougie for years. It's possible he may have to return to the Lodges for good, but I doubt it. I think if that were to happen it would be to sacrifice himself for Laura, Audrey or someone else. But I think if they were thinking about Season 4, and Kyle MacLachlan certainly seems to suspect it's possible, that would suggest Cooper is not a non-factor when this is over.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, jsbt said:

AFAIK Coop can exist in the real world with a tulpa, just not his actual doppelgänger. The Bad Dale coexisted with Dougie for years. It's possible he may have to return to the Lodges for good, but I doubt it. I think if that were to happen it would be to sacrifice himself for Laura, Audrey or someone else. But I think if they were thinking about Season 4, and Kyle MacLachlan certainly seems to suspect it's possible, that would suggest Cooper is not a non-factor when this is over.

I didn't think he'd go because he had no choice, more because he may want to go back, since he has nothing left in the real world and has spent decades in the Lodge. I guess it depends on whether they want a closed ending or want viewers to think Dale is still out there solving mysteries. 

Nah, I don't see this Coop choosing to go back because he's got nothing left. That isn't the guy who woke up, IMO. He's in full force again, which I accept as legitimate because we've watched him struggle to regain his sense of self and fight for his cognition for the better part of 16 hours. I don't think The Return is just about time or age and wasting away, I think it's also about fighting to regain something or change your life for the better in any way you can despite age and years. I think Ed, Norma and Nadine have all done that, Bobby has as well. Audrey may be doing so; Janey-E has found a possible better life. Even Albert has maybe found love. And "Diane" finally broke from the trauma that incepted her. She may have been programmed to kill Cole and the team but I think she sat down and told them the story because she finally had full recall of who and what she was, and wanted to warn them.

FWIW though: I'd kill for S4 to be 7-10 episodes focusing largely on, say, Sheryl Lee.

• Love 7

Wondering how the Palmer family will fit into all of this in the end. Laura and Sarah will definitely be a part of the finale. Have we seen the last of Leland? I so want Sarah to reunite with her lost ones in a good way, she has sufferd more than enough it seems. Will Laura return for good somehow?

I have a feeling that Bobby will profess his love to Shelley and that they will get back together again, same as in the old series finale. Will Heidi come in late again having car trouble? Norma and Big Ed having an impromptu wedding at the RR would be too much to ask I guess.

Maybe Nadine and Dr Amp will (s)hit Mr C. hard with their golden shovels, and then James' friend's glove will do the deed.

What about the when Andy was with the fireman and saw Lucy and himself, a moment we have not seen played out yet. Is it future or is it past? Lucy had a different haircut, maybe a younger version of herself? Maybe it has to do with Wally Brando, could he be dead or a another dreamy figment?

I remember an actress being listed in the original 200 actors list back in 2016 who played a Great Northern hotel employee in a season 2 episode (and a baby nurse on ER later on), and she has not appeared yet. What if she has become Audrey's nurse?

Is Mirjam going to wake up with Audrey as her roomie?

Will Harry welcome his old friend when he arrives back home in Twin Peaks?

Boy am I gonna miss this world.

• Love 5

I think they need Laura (or some iteration of her) to foil the Bad Dale's plans, which I suspect involves invading the White Lodge and/or freeing the "Mother" creature glimpsed in earlier episodes which birthed BOB, etc. and which I think is occupying Sarah somehow. Its symbol/horned head can be glimpsed on Hawk's map, the Bad Dale's playing card which he showed to Darya ("this is what I want"), and I think on the jerky that so frightened Sarah in the store. I think it will come down to Dale and Dale and possibly Laura and Sarah. I still half-expect a big action-packed Woodsmen invasion of Twin Peaks a la the little town in Part 8 but that's probably way too conventional for Lynch, who knows.

Or Coop could resolve everything and then go find Laura to cap it off - I have no idea. But Margaret did say "Laura is the one". I also am pretty sure the Lucy scenes Andy glimpsed in the White Lodge - of him talking to her in the sheriff's station and her looking worried - are events yet to come, in which Andy will take cues from the Fireman/Giant and tell her to do something.

I should add I have zero clue where BOB is at this point. He hasn't really been a huge part of the narrative. He was riding along with the doppelganger, and I have no idea if he still is. I hope we get some closure re: BOB.

10 minutes ago, IDFfm0870 said:

I remember an actress being listed in the original 200 actors list back in 2016 who played a Great Northern hotel employee in a season 2 episode (and a baby nurse on ER later on), and she has not appeared yet.

She appeared tonight - Bellina Logan, who played Louie the scheming desk clerk, played Coop's doctor tonight. She was also in Lynch/Frost's sitcom On the Air, cut scenes of Wild at Heart and is a close friend of Laura Dern.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, jsbt said:

She appeared tonight - Bellina Logan, who played Louie the scheming desk clerk, played Coop's doctor tonight. She was also in Lynch/Frost's sitcom On the Air, cut scenes of Wild at Heart and is a close friend of Laura Dern.

Thanks, I just found out about it via the Reddit episode live discussion thread. There goes my theory.

Maybe Ronette returns as the most recent TPPD officer to question Audrey and Mirjam showing them pictures of Mr C and Richard ;)

In late season 2, we had the hand shaking of several TP residents (Pete, some rnandom woman in the RR, Cooper) and possibly the humming sound in a quick cut off scene with Benjamin Horne, maybe a bright light too? How does this possibly fit together with the humming sound in (again) the Great Northern (Josie?), the hospital. A signal for whenever portals will open to the white / black lodge?

I hope that the Hayward family will get some closure, too. Wonder what happened to Donna, maybe she got killed in James' motorcycla accident.

I think most town subplots are like snapshots of Twin Peaks this time around - little vignettes floating in and around the core storyline of Coop's journey back to himself and the town, which is why most of them are much more truncated than in the original series. They give us just enough with Ed, Norma, Nadine, Bobby, Shelly, etc. And for the most part I am okay with that approach here as I feel it suits the narrative, which is more about Coop and the larger mythological struggle leading back to Twin Peaks. It has steadily moved from backdrop and snapshots to a more active presence in the main story, mostly through the sheriff's department.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jsbt said:

Nah, I don't see this Coop choosing to go back because he's got nothing left. That isn't the guy who woke up, IMO. He's in full force again, which I accept as legitimate because we've watched him struggle to regain his sense of self and fight for his cognition for the better part of 16 hours. I don't think The Return is just about time or age and wasting away, I think it's also about fighting to regain something or change your life for the better in any way you can despite age and years. I think Ed, Norma and Nadine have all done that, Bobby has as well. Audrey may be doing so; Janey-E has found a possible better life. Even Albert has maybe found love. And "Diane" finally broke from the trauma that incepted her. She may have been programmed to kill Cole and the team but I think she sat down and told them the story because she finally had full recall of who and what she was, and wanted to warn them.

Thank you for writing this. It (almost) lays waste to my pessimism about Agent Cooper's fate. I hope this is so. 

Now that Candie is on the way to Twin Peaks, surely that means the speculation about her playing an important role in the fight must be true? I guess she could be the reincarnation of Laura, as some think. Or maybe she's Linda? 

• Love 2