Type keyword(s) to search

Ice Cream

• Start Topic

I don't necessarily think that Blue Bell is my favorite brand of ice cream ever, but it tastes as good as any other name brand to me and I like the various flavors that they offer (although I'm bummed that they haven't brought back Lemon Bliss or Key Lime Pie for the summer).  And I can find it on sale pretty often ($4.99--or even sometimes a little cheaper--rather than the usual price of around $6 or more for half gallon).  When I was growing up we had a 'local' (southeast? Originated in New Orleans, I think) drugstore chain called 'K&B'.  I always thought that their store brand ice cream (in the rectangular paper cartons) was good, especially their Creole Cream Cheese.  

As far as Blue Bunny goes, I like the sugar free black raspberry ice cream bars dipped in dark chocolate.  Those are good (and one of my cats loves to lick the last bit of ice cream from the stick after I finish--but I'm careful to make sure that all of the chocolate it gone first). 

I think probably the fact that I can't get Blue Bell is what makes me love it more but I have had it, so it's like "I WANT THAT THING I CAN'T HAVE!"

• Love 3
On 4/20/2017 at 1:36 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Vanilla. I know it's super lame but I just love vanilla.

The Costco Kirkland Signature Super Premium Vanilla Ice Cream is surprisingly good. It's won taste contests. My only problem is finding room in the freezer. And that it's not always in stock.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:52 PM, DeLurker said:

I just saw, and immediately purchased, Chocolate Cherry Garcia. 

I hope it lives up to my expectations.

It did not.  The chocolate ice cream is very good, but it the cherries kind of get lost in the whole chocolate ice cream & chocolate pieces mish mash.  Regular Cherry Garcia has not lost my loyalty.

On 5/10/2017 at 10:29 AM, DeLurker said:

We've got Blue Bell and Blue Bunny.  Neither are particularly noteworthy to me, although Blue Bell is typically on the pricier side.

I picked up some Neapolitan Blue Bell because it was on sale and the kids like it quite a bit.  I gave it a quick taste and I am still just so-so on the brand.  I always thought it was neopolitan so I learned something new today I guess. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, ariel said:

I saw that too.  It's suppose to be low fat.  Who wants to try it & take one for the team?

It's also supposed to be low carb. The advertising says something like 280 calories and 16 grams per pint. 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:16 AM, editorgrrl said:

From the My 600 Lb. Life board:

I'd rather eat Haagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter than a $5.49 pint of Halo Top ice milk. Also, Halo Top is sweetened with stevia and erythritol.

Halo Top peanut butter cup:

Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, prebiotic fiber, high fat cocoa, peanut butter (roasted peanuts, sugar, peanut oil, salt), vegetable glycerin, sea salt, natural flavors, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

Häagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter:

Chocolate ice cream: cream, skim milk, cane sugar, egg yolks, chocolate, cocoa processed with alkali. Peanut butter swirl: peanuts, cane sugar, peanut oil, salt.

I prefer natural over chemicals but if you are a low carb follower or a diabetic it is at least an option.

For the record I'm neither.

I love McConnell's and Hagen Daz.

I'm pretty basic in my ice cream choices. Vanilla, coffee, a few others and some fruit flavors. No chocolate. 

I hate Ben n Jerry's. Too much crap mixed together.

Aside from McConnel's, my favorite unique place is The Saffron Spot in Artesia. Indian flavored ice cream made by Neemo's. My favorite to get is a scoop of ragbhog  and one of rose. So good and uniquely flavored.

http://www.saffronspot.com/nemosicecream.html

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1

You can't buy Good Humor Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bars but you can make it.

1/2 Gallon of Bryers vanilla (or other vanilla ice cream)

1 can of Solo Almond Pastry Filling not the almond paste (baking isle)  I think it was 8 or 12 ounces I forgot!

1 bag store bought vanilla or almond flavored cookies (I bought some shaped like flowers). 

1 cup slivered almonds

6 Tablespoons sugar

2 Tablespoons water

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

I used 1/2 gallon of Bryers vanilla ice cream and took half of it to mix with an almond paste.  You buy the almond paste in the baking isle and I tried the Solo brand for pastry filling.  They have a Solo almond paste, but you want the one that is ready as a filling.  I mixed half the can (freeze the other half for later) with the now 1/4 gallon of vanilla ice cream and put in the freezer for at least an hour.

Then for the topping I mixed 6 tablespoons of sugar with 2 tablespoons of water to toss/coat 1 cup of slivered almonds.  Then bake these single layered on an non-greased baking pan at 325 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes (until golden brown). Cool 

almond extract about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon depending on your taste

vanilla or almond cookies from the cookie isle

Food process the toasted almonds, cookies and almond extract until the consistency for an ice cream topping.  You can put all that in a plastic bag and smash it with a rubber mallet if you don't have a food processor.

Then scoop one vanilla scoop and one almond scoop of ice cream and sprinkle with the cookie/almond crunch.

It tasted just like Good Humor toasted almond bars but now you have a 1/2 gallon's worth instead of six small bars.

40 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The ice cream shop a block from my house now have a flavor inspired by Girl Scout Samoan cookies this is not going to be good for my waistline.

Not ice cream, but there are even Samoas and Thin Mint cereals now!

I tasted a sample of Trader Joe's mango & cream Friday. I didn't buy any because there's a carton of Tillamook French Vanilla (really good) sitting in my freezer.  But I really really have been resenting that self control ever since.

• Love 3

Haagen dazs - they were on sale recently at $2.99 a pint and I had 2 coupons $5.00, so I ended up with 4 pints totalling $7.

There was a Destination Series flavor - Brownies A la Mode

haagen+dazs+destination+series+brownies+

It is delicious!

I guess my muffin top Destination is going to be full on tin of cake batter

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I tasted a sample of Trader Joe's mango & cream Friday. I didn't buy any because there's a carton of Tillamook French Vanilla (really good) sitting in my freezer.  But I really really have been resenting that self control ever since.

I was so excited to see it in the Fearless Flyer! It's going on my shopping list for next week.

• Love 1

I had some mint chocolate chip at a place near the bus station in Florence this afternoon (we were researching a day trip to Siena tomorrow) that said it was homemade. It was very good. Bobby Flay sings the praises of pistachio gelato in Italy. I will definitely try some before we leave Italy.

Hey, chessiegal, how's the trip? Mostly, how's the food?   As I type this, I am searching for hotels for my trip in September.  At least one serving of gelato per day is required.   

The trip is going great @Quof, thanks for asking. It's kind of eerie with the terrorist attacks. The first in London while we were still on the QM2. Then the fire in London as we arrived in Paris, now we see more in London and Paris as were are in Florence. I've been posting about meals in the What's For Dinner thread - kind of a cheat since it's not much of a challenge when you're ordering off the menu. :)

It might be a little early in the season, but if you can find it, wild boar (cinghiale) was the most delicious savory dish I ate in Tuscany.    I know it's available in the fall.

It might be a little early in the season, but if you can find it, wild boar (cinghiale) was the most delicious savory dish I ate in Tuscany.    I know it's available in the fall.

Goodness, I hope you're in the wrong thread because wild boar ice cream sounds just awful.

• Love 1

My boyfriend has a client who runs a fruit stand and gifts him with tons of fruit every week, this week it was apples and mangoes, so I made a vat of apple sauce but turned the mangoes into a delicious mango habanero ice cream, so tasty! Plus, some leftover puree to add to some prosseco for brunch this weekend.

• Love 1
(edited)

So what are our thoughts on nuts in ice cream? (not as a topping or coating) I'm against it because I don't like having to stop and chew.

Edited by Trini

I am pro. Butter pecan and rocky road are my two favorite kinds of ice cream.

I haven't made ice cream in so long that I forgot how easy it is so I will definitely be rectifying that this summer.

I like stuff in my ice cream - nuts, chocolate chunks, etc.  

Pseudo science -I worked in a roadside ice cream stand in my youth (worst summer job ever). When the temperature was really hot, or the freezers were acting up, the ice cream that contained nuts was the last to melt, so often the only one that could be scooped on a hot day. I assume it was something about the oils?

• Love 2

I don't generally care for flavored ice cream beyond vanilla -- I like vanilla ice cream with chunks of other things mixed in, rather than ice cream made of the other things themselves (e.g. vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips I love, but chocolate ice cream I can't stand).  So, in theory, nuts would fit into that.  However, I am strange about nuts - I love them, but I don't often like them in things.  No nuts in my cookies, chocolate bars, brownies, etc.

I like nuts in my food unless they get soft from over cooking. 

I miss Mackie's Ice Cream. It's a Scottish brand with real honeycomb pieces in it. Might have to make a trip over the pond lol! Anyone know of an American equivalent? 

• Love 1

I really don't like anything in my ice cream (preferably vanilla) but I put stuff on top of the ice cream sometimes.  Altho' I do like Rocky Road with the bits of marshmallow.  Right now I have a box of Good Humor toasted almonds in the freezer and trying very hard to eat one a day (this is very difficult, and I didn't succeed today).

16 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I really don't like anything in my ice cream (preferably vanilla) but I put stuff on top of the ice cream sometimes.  Altho' I do like Rocky Road with the bits of marshmallow.  Right now I have a box of Good Humor toasted almonds in the freezer and trying very hard to eat one a day (this is very difficult, and I didn't succeed today).

I am so jealous. My town only seems to carry the chocolate eclair and strawberry shortcake ones. I so love those Good Humor Toasted Almond ones too!! Go ahead. Have another one. I'll take the calories for you lol!! What is the name of the store that you found it at? Perhaps there's the same store in my town and they can order them for me. I have foods that I have to ration as well. Well one really...chocolate. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

Pro nuts.  Butter pecan is the best I've cream possible. 

Then you would like the Talente Gelato Southern Butter Pecan. Very delicious. As it can be pricey I always stock up when it goes on sale. Their Pistachio is yummy too! 

Talenti gelato is very good for something you can find in most grocery stores (I prefer gelato to ice cream, but most general markets stock much more of the latter).  A local chain has it on sale this week, and it took great restraint to only buy one pint/flavor. 

(edited)
19 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I miss Mackie's Ice Cream. It's a Scottish brand with real honeycomb pieces in it. Might have to make a trip over the pond lol! Anyone know of an American equivalent? 

::gasp:: That sounds amazing!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I am so jealous. My town only seems to carry the chocolate eclair and strawberry shortcake ones. I so love those Good Humor Toasted Almond ones too!! Go ahead. Have another one. I'll take the calories for you lol!! What is the name of the store that you found it at? Perhaps there's the same store in my town and they can order them for me. I have foods that I have to ration as well. Well one really...chocolate. 

I found them in Safeway.   I know what you mean--the other supermarkets in our area only carry the choc eclair and strawberry shortcake bars which do not interest me at all.  I remember when Good Humor trucks would park outside my high school (yeah...back in the day, waaaay back) and I'd get the white coconute covered vanilla bar.  My all time favorite!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Talenti gelato is very good for something you can find in most grocery stores (I prefer gelato to ice cream, but most general markets stock much more of the latter).  A local chain has it on sale this week, and it took great restraint to only buy one pint/flavor. 

Note: Talenti containers make highly usable leftover containers.  Nice wide mouth, screw  on cap, not too big, not to small...as an added bonus, it comes filled with some pretty tasty gelato.  We all need storage containers in the kitchen, various hobbies, in the garage...we owe it to the earth to make purchasing decisions with our landfills in mind.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Note: Talenti containers make highly usable leftover containers.  Nice wide mouth, screw  on cap, not too big, not to small...as an added bonus, it comes filled with some pretty tasty gelato.  We all need storage containers in the kitchen, various hobbies, in the garage...we owe it to the earth to make purchasing decisions with our landfills in mind.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

As a big fan of storage containers, I just might buy some! I mean, I'll eat the gelato but only for the container. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

As a big fan of storage containers, I just might buy some! I mean, I'll eat the gelato but only for the container. 

**lol**.   You just keep telling yourself that and enjoy it!! 

P.S. The other posters are correct. They make great containers and last months including many trips through the dishwasher. 

• Love 1

I made a chocolate ice cream with chocolate shards and slivered almonds and found it quite enjoyable. You had to chew a little but the nuts softened in the dairy.

• Love 2

Not sure whether to say thanks on the posts on Talenti gelato - not only does my store  carry it, it's on sale this week, and there are many, many flavors to choose from. Bought hazelnut choc chip and caramel cookie crunch.

Love those Talenti containers.  Bought two sets of lego-like blocks from Target's dollar spot recently.  (73bricks/$1). Each set is perfectly stored in a container.  One for each kid for restaurant entertainment purposes.

Back on topic: Haagen Dazs Coffee is my absolute fave.  I would like to try the Trader Joe's latte bars to see how they compare, but my local TJ's didn't have any when I went to look.

Pure Cornish Ice Cream, is probably my favourite, but is expensive and not readily available in the shops. 

After that I would definitely go for Rum & Raisin ice cream- gorgeous and very naughty!

I have 4 pints of ice cream in my freezer; 3 Haagen Dazs and one Ben & Jerry.   I normally don't let myself do that, as I am powerless to resist, but they were on sale, so what's a girl to do?

Damn, I want Talenti.  If it ever comes to Canada, I'm a goner. 

• Love 1