Type keyword(s) to search

Ice Cream

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Blue Bell makes a banana pudding flavor...

That sounds fabulous, but according to its website (with, I must say, the most nonfunctioning map I've ever encountered) Blue Bell's closest location is 3 states away from me. I'll keep it in mind though.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2016 at 11:01 AM, Rinaldo said:

Does anybody besides B&J make a decent banana ice cream now?

I seem to remember seeing banana ice cream in the Asian markets when I lived in So California, but my brain has gotten foggy over time.  I go to the Asian markets here (north of Houston) on a semi-regular basis and I'll look to see if they have anything. 

I know I've read a recipe about making matcha banana ice cream and it was really easy (and primarily bananas).  My Mom swears if you put over ripe bananas in the freezer they taste as good as ice cream.  I only eat bananas that are just past green so the window for my consumption is really small.

Thank you so much, DeLurker! Coolhaus doesn't list Bananas Foster on its website (I must admit that Bananas Foster, which I've actually had in a restaurant, with the tableside prep and all, doesn't sound like the flavor I want, but I'll certainly try it once). But it does say where I can buy it in my area: Safeway (=Kroger), which are sparse but still findable around here.

And plenty of places carry Talenti; I've seen their containers in the freezer case and after looking once a while ago (not finding what I wanted) ignored them since. But certainly worth a try!

• Love 1

This post in Discontinued Foods You Miss reminded me of a yummy, portion-controlled seasonal ice cream:

14 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Years ago Trader Joe's had an awesome pumpkin mousse pie/cake with a gingersnap crust (in the freezer section). It was so good. I've been trying to recreate it ever since it disappeared but with no luck. 

Trader Joe's Mini Ginger Pumpkin Ice Cream Mouthfuls: http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2014/10/trader-joes-mini-ginger-pumpkin-ice.html

The dominant flavor for these beauteous bites is the cookie itself—soft, a little chewy, super gingery. Perhaps not as gingerish as the triple ginger snaps (the bomb) but close. For a guy who likes ginger as much as I do, they're the idea framework for a tasty little treat. The pumpkin-pie-ish ice cream (not too far off from the Pilgrim Joe variety, if I remember right) is a perfect counterbalance, offering a soft, creamy, kinda sweet kinda spiced filling, that in both texture and taste melds perfectly. For a little extra oomph, let the ice cream get just a little bit melty for a little extra soft creaminess—you won't be sorry.

Like the What's Good at Trader Joe's? blogger, I'm a "pumpkin agnostic"—except for these.

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved the cherry ice cream from Schwan's.  Even better, it came in massive plastic tubs that my mom repurposed into containers that we froze freshly picked blueberries in.  She still has them, they were THAT durable.

As an adult, it's butter pecan or mint chocolate chip, or B&J's Chubby Hubby.  Love the salty sweet combos!  

Side note:  I will sell my mother for a Klondike bar.

• Love 1

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved the cherry ice cream from Schwan's.

If you like cherry ice cream, you should see if you can find Tillamook's Oregon Dark Cherry where you live, its amazing!

@Rinaldo - glad I could help.  Talenti has been going on sale more frequently where I live, but it still is on the pricey side.  I've found the containers (at least the smaller ones) are ideal for storing some of my leftovers in which was an unexpected bonus.  So if you think of it as ice cream and a food storage container it really isn't so bad.

• Love 3
On 11/15/2016 at 11:01 AM, Rinaldo said:

Does anybody besides B&J make a decent banana ice cream now?

Another banana ice cream aficionado! I know this probably won't help, but two of the best banana ice creams I've had are local places (Mpls.-St.Paul, MN), Sebastian Joe's and Sonny's.

• Love 1

My stores have recently started carrying a brand called Steve's that carries Southern Banana Pudding.  Not sure if this would count for you banana aficionados.  It was on the pricey side though - at least for me.

That sounds right up my alley! But alas, no stores in my state carry it. There are some an hour away, but I would have to make a special expedition with a dry-ice cooler in the trunk, and I don't see that happening. Thanks for the news though!

I was just in the US for Christmas, in a hotel with a full kitchen - none of those silly little bar fridges with no freezer.  Yay for ice cream.

Jeezuz, if I could buy Talenti at home, I would be on My 600 lb Life.

• Love 2

We kept these:

IMG_0448.JPG

in the rental's freezer. Perfect size for "just a bite or two".

Dove  also delivers delish small ice cream treats though I wish they still did the cherry ones.

I pretty much can't be trusted with tubs of frozen creamy goodness but seem to be able to portion-control these.

• Love 1

Condé Nast says this is the ice cream trend for 2017:

banana_cream_pie_ice_cream_roll_nomadic_

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/new-food-trends-to-look-for-in-2017

If you’re over the whole freakshake thing, keep an eye out for ice cream rollups, a Thai street-food trend poised to go global this year. Liquid ice cream gets flash-frozen and stuffed with fruit and other toppings, then wrapped up like a burrito and garnished with more fruit and cookies. Already available at Class 502 in Houston and New York's 10Below, this stuff may well give pay-by-weight froyo a run for its money.

"Over the whole freakshake thing"?! I was never under it. They're apparently Australian "milkshakes topped with cream, topped with cake, topped with sauce, with a handful of sweets thrown in for good measure":

DSC_2943-01.jpeg

• Love 1

editorgrrl,

Hmm, how would anyone consume said shakes without spilling any or all of the contents before it entirely melted? At least put it in a catch-all bowl instead of a top-heavy preserve jar (and please don't tell that they don't bother to provide spoons with them).

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Blergh said:

How would anyone consume said shakes without spilling any or all of the contents before it entirely melted?

Don't ask me—freakshakes were the next big thing a year and a half ago, but I've still never seen one. These are more my speed:

15107200_10157726651100175_3768744759403

Or a Friendly's Spumoni Roll (cherry-almond, pistachio, and chocolate ice creams with marshmallow sauce).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

editorgrrl,

Hmm, how would anyone consume said shakes without spilling any or all of the contents before it entirely melted? At least put it in a catch-all bowl instead of a top-heavy preserve jar (and please don't tell that they don't bother to provide spoons with them).

Maybe you start on them like a cone and finish with a spoon?

They look potentially messy but intriguingly yummy. I'm used to seeing those big drippy things that look partially melted. I feel like I get some on me just looking at them.

IMG_0450.JPG

• Love 1
14 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Don't ask me—freakshakes were the next big thing a year and a half ago, but I've still never seen one. These are more my speed:

Or a Friendly's Spumoni Roll (cherry-almond, pistachio, and chocolate ice creams with marshmallow sauce).

That brings back good memories! Jubilee Roll. Nothing beats that.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

I bought one this year for New Year's dinner's dessert. I just didn't feel like baking any more after all the baking I did for Christmas.

• Love 2

I got excited yesterday when I saw some Friendly's ice cream cakes at my local Walmart.  Hadn't seen them before - just Carvel (which I totally love).  No Jubilee Roll though so boohoo for me.

• Love 1
On 12/31/2016 at 3:03 PM, editorgrrl said:

Condé Nast says this is the ice cream trend for 2017:

banana_cream_pie_ice_cream_roll_nomadic_

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/new-food-trends-to-look-for-in-2017

DSC_2943-01.jpeg

A nearby street opened an ice cream roll shop and a Snow Days at the same time last spring. Snow Days sells "shaved cream" rather than ice cream. The former already seems to have gone out of business. Too bad, because I liked the rolls better than the shaved cream.

• Love 1

Ben & Jerry have introduced a "Banana Split" flavor (see my discussion of my love of banana ice cream, above). I don't know if it's permanent*, but I sure hope so. It's the only good Banana Split flavor I've had: it has strawberry ice cream along with the banana (also some nuts and chocolate), but no cheap chunks of fruit to disguise the flavors. It was yummy, and a good understudy for their Chunky Monkey.

(*Later edited to add: I see that their website says the flavor was introduced in 2007! If they say so.... I've sure never seen it before. This at least gives me hope for it to stick around.)

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

I saw a new brand of ice cream at the grocery store - Halo Top.  I don't know anything about it and at $5.98 a pint (on sale!) I will never find out.  But they did have some interesting flavors including Oatmeal Cookie and Lemon Cake.

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I saw a new brand of ice cream at the grocery store - Halo Top.  I don't know anything about it and at $5.98 a pint (on sale!) I will never find out.  But they did have some interesting flavors including Oatmeal Cookie and Lemon Cake.

I saw that too.  It's suppose to be low fat.  Who wants to try it & take one for the team?

• Love 1

The Stewart's shops here in upstate NY have spring and fall flavor releases. My son is a big fan of the return of apple and pumpkin pie in the fall. 

I saw that they had carrot cake for this spring. I'm not a big ice cream guy, but I had to try it because I am a big carrot cake guy. No nuts or raisins in it. I thought it was pretty good! A little sweet, but it had a little hit of the tang you get in cream cheese frosting to make it interesting. 

• Love 1

From the My 600 Lb. Life board:

17 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Well I saw the Halo Top at the store and was going to pass until I saw chocolate peanut butter cup. It's ice milk. I did eat it all then opened up the Haagen Dazs version which can't be beat.

Halo would be great if you want a substitute and don't buy the real stuff as well, but it isn't for me.

17 hours ago, Arynm said:

Halo top is amazing! I like the sea salt caramel and mocha chocolate chip. Arctic Zero however, tastes like shit.

I'd rather eat Haagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter than a $5.49 pint of Halo Top ice milk. Also, Halo Top is sweetened with stevia and erythritol.

Halo Top peanut butter cup:

Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, prebiotic fiber, high fat cocoa, peanut butter (roasted peanuts, sugar, peanut oil, salt), vegetable glycerin, sea salt, natural flavors, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

Häagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter:

Chocolate ice cream: cream, skim milk, cane sugar, egg yolks, chocolate, cocoa processed with alkali. Peanut butter swirl: peanuts, cane sugar, peanut oil, salt.

I just tried Blue Bell's newest flavor, Bride's Cake.  It's pretty yummy.  Almond ice cream, white cake pieces and swirls of amaretto cream cheese frosting.  I wasn't a big fan of the Groom's Cake flavor, but this one is tasty. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ariel said:

I've heard people rave about Blue Bell Ice Cream.  Is it available in the northeast? 

I've got Blue Bunny here in NY state. Looks like Blue Bell is found well below the Mason-Dixon Line, out west through most of Texas and Arizona.

I didn't understand why people got so excited about Blue Bell until I realized I'd been confusing it with Blue Bunny which really doesn't do it for me.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Qoass said:

I didn't understand why people got so excited about Blue Bell until I realized I'd been confusing it with Blue Bunny which really doesn't do it for me.

I did the same thing.  (I'm not particularly fired up about Blue Bell, either, but Blue Bunny is forgettable.)

17 hours ago, ariel said:

I've heard people rave about Blue Bell Ice Cream.  Is it available in the northeast? 

Blue Bell is the BEST. You can order it from them (or you could) and it's crazy expensive ($129 for 4 half gallons!!!). Some restaurants have it outside of their normal selling range... I know some Texas BBQ place in DC has it, for example. That being said they're creeping closer to the north all the time. I'm just waiting. Blue Bell vanilla. That's all I want. Oh, and chocolate. I like their "normal" flavors. 

• Love 1