Type keyword(s) to search

Ice Cream

• Start Topic

My very, very favorite is Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream, with chocolate Magic Shell. I only have it once or twice a year though. I can't have it in the house, because it just calls to me relentlessly. Plus, even though I love the awesomeness of Magic Shell, whatever is in it that makes it immediately solidify when it hits ice cream is probably some sort of horrendous carcinogenic goo.

Plus, even though I love the awesomeness of Magic Shell, whatever is in it that makes it immediately solidify when it hits ice cream is probably some sort of horrendous carcinogenic goo.

Nope, actually. It's sunflower and coconut oil. It's all the saturated fat ever, but it's "natural."

• Love 2

Magic Shell still exists?! I wish I hadn't just read that.  :-)

I had completely forgotten about it until I went to the store one day, shortly after I got married. I asked my husband if wanted me to put anything on the list, and he said ice cream and Magic Shell. My immediate response was, "What are you, 6?" but I bought some, had some, and then realized that was a really good suggestion.

• Love 2

Magic Shell still exists?! I wish I hadn't just read that. :-)

Just saw a home recipe on fb for it. It was chocolate chips and like a tbsp of coconut oil, melted and stirred together.

Every once in awhile I even chance upon my beloved cherry magic shell.

• Love 1

My favorite ice cream on the planet

I had some of the Blue Bell 'Great Divide' for an appetizer while I waited for my dinner to cook tonight.  It was pretty tasty.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

I wish Hagen Daz still made coconut ice cream.  It was the best ice cream ever (and I'm a vanilla girl).  The pineapple-coconut just isn't good enough for me. A few days ago I bought Skinny Cow's vanilla almond crunch.  There were 5 bars in the package and I ate 4 in one evening.  I can't be around stuff like that!

• Love 1

There were 5 bars in the package and I ate 4 in one evening.  I can't be around stuff like that!

That's why I buy Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Klondike bars about once a year.  They don't last long in my house!

On May 5, 2016 at 9:37 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I bought Skinny Cow's vanilla almond crunch.  There were 5 bars in the package and I ate 4 in one evening.  I can't be around stuff like that!

On May 5, 2016 at 7:10 PM, BooksRule said:

That's why I buy Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Klondike bars about once a year.  They don't last long in my house!

I had no idea those even existed, @BooksRule—so I just went out + bought a package of 6. (They were on sale 2/$6, but I know my limits!)

• Love 1

Speaking of ice cream..... I've been on a homemade ice cream kick lately. The past few weeks I've made coffee ice cream with mini choc chips. This week I made chocolate ice cream with pecans and marshmallows. In my defense we've been having family get togethers the last few weekends and I've been in charge of desert. 

My parents have a cuisinart ice cream maker that we've been sharing. I need to get my own!

• Love 2
(edited)

It is essential to taste test recipes before a family gathering - you'd be negligent of your familial duties if you didn't.

I thought after making coffee ice cream with chocolate chips the natural progression would be chocolate ice cream with coffee nibs (or whatever they are called).

Sadly, while I love coffee, I only love hot coffee.  I hate any other kind or coffee flavored anything.

Edited by DeLurker
excessive use of the personal pronoun
  • Love 1

You would reincarnate this thread when I'm on a strict diet wouldn't you? ;) As long as you keep the bowls to the ice cream maker frozen you can make ice cream on demand in about 30 minutes time. We keep the bowls in our freezer all the time so we can do that. Ice cream makers have come a long way from the old ones that used salt and actual ice cubes-I was amazed. My mom makes vanilla ice cream usually and it's great. There are so many recipes out there. A lot of recipes call for half a dozen eggs, cooking on the stove, etc and I don't think my mom does all that and it still turns out tasty. She's making vanilla for our Father's Day get together on Sunday so I'll have to find out her recipe :)

OMG! I had completely forgotten about Jamocha Almond Fudge! Yummy!

If I have to splurge on fat, calories, blah-blah-blah, I make sure my ice cream/gelato is from a local parlor made with cream milked from grass-fed cows whenever possible. Even if one doesn't care how the cows get treated, the milk just tastes better that way and Iike my monies to go toward folks I personally deal with rather than a faceless corporate entity living who-knows-where.

BTW, I always think it's funny seeing terms such as 'grass-fed cream' and 'grass-fed butter' as I've YET to see cream or butter attempt to eat grass. LOL

• Love 2

In the category of 'kill three birds with one stone', I made honey vanilla yogurt pops and they're good, if you like the taste yogurt. (We have a ton of greek yogurt, a few almost empty bottles of honey, and it's HOT. :) ) Next time I'm going to try yogurt and berries.

On 6/19/2016 at 4:39 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Baskin-Robbins' mandarin chocolate sherbet. I wish they would bring it back just so I could see whether I think it is really as good as I remember it being years ago.

Is that an orange-chocolate combination??  I *adore* orange and chocolate together!

That photo of Blue Bell ice cream (half chocolate half vanilla) brought back a memory of the way ice cream was sold many years ago.  I can't remember the brand...maybe all the brands did it, but they sold a carton of ice cream with half choc/half vanilla and my sister went after the chocolate, I went after the vanilla. They also sold a carton with the 3 flavorsvanilla, chocolate & strawberry and I loathed it if the strawberry got mixed in with my vanilla.  The only place to get lots of different flavors was Howard Johnson's (I really do miss Ho-Jo's: good food and wonderful, gazillion different flavors of ice cream).

• Love 1

All brands used to sell ice cream in boxes.  Neapolitan was chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, and you had to cut the carton open in order to only get the chocolate.  Vanilla was always the last flavour eaten. 

• Love 2

Growing up I could be a pretty picky eater and hated strawberry ice cream and would have agreed it should never touch another flavor. And of course that's the flavor of ice cream that my uncle, with help from us kids, hand-churned every Memorial Day. 

But within walking distance was a little ice cream place that sold licorice ice cream. I wish I could find that flavor again.

(edited)

They're not making it right now, but Blue Bell used to offer the best strawberry sherbet.  I don't know if there are other brands that offer sherbet in strawberry, but this was really good.  I think you could only get it in the rainbow flavors (strawberry, orange and lime).  

Did anyone else ever use sherbet for making 'floats'?  We used to make Coke or rootbeer floats (with vanilla ice cream), but we also made floats with various flavors of sherbet (usually lime) and ginger ale (or Seven Up).  Very refreshing!  I also remember when almost every shower--bridal or baby--would offer 'sherbet punch', which was a block of lime or pineapple sherbet placed in the punch bowl with ice cold ginger ale poured over until frothy.  (Many older cookbooks still have suggested variations of the punch in them, usually called 'Wedding Punch'.)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

If anyone has a Harris Teeter in their area, and likes ice cream rolls, HT sells one called Slice MMMMMs which is a roll of half chocolate/half vanilla and rolled in chocolate "crunchies".  I love it and have had a few slices already.  The folks who are reallllly into their special ice creams would probably find it boring but it tastes very good to me! :>)  Had a friend over this afternoon and served it with some fresh strawberries on the side of the plate.

On June 24, 2016 at 11:24 PM, NewDigs said:

But within walking distance was a little ice cream place that sold licorice ice cream. I wish I could find that flavor again.

When we were kids there was a small ice cream shop in southern Ontario that offered Tiger's Tail ice cream, which was very orange sherbet marbled with stripes of the most incredibly viscous tar black glistening licorice goo I've ever seen. Ordered it every time. Never seen anything like it elsewhere. 

@BooksRule, we used to make sherbet floats with clear pops, too. (Lemon or ginger, although I wasn't big on the ginger ale. Plus lemon was better suited to the fruit sherbet.) I thought the rainbow one had raspberry though? It's been decades since I've had sherbet, so I'm not too sure...

So what is ice cream sold in now, if not boxes? Or over priced rounded pint things, that remind me of the stuff you could get hand packed at the shop.

• Love 1

krimimimi, most rainbow sherbets have the raspberry flavor, but the Blue Bell rainbow had strawberry instead.  I've never seen it anywhere else.  I always liked raspberry sherbet, though, so I might have to buy some other brand until Blue Bell starts producing theirs with the strawberry flavor again.

I kind of miss the old ice cream boxes.  Sometimes the scoop you got had the shape of a corner, which (as a child) I thought was cool.  And, if you were going to serve the whole box at one sitting, it was pretty easy to dismantle the box and cut the ice cream into slices for everyone.

• Love 4

I made blackberry cheesecake ice cream last night.  Since it was a small batch, I dumped in some bashed up Oreos I had leftover from some other project.  It's firming up in the freezer now but what I licked off the spatula tasted pretty good.

• Love 4
On June 24, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Quof said:

All brands used to sell ice cream in boxes.  Neapolitan was chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, and you had to cut the carton open in order to only get the chocolate.  Vanilla was always the last flavour eaten. 

I'm so old I remember when Neapolitan was pistachio, vanilla, and strawberry/cherry. It was also back when Viennetta was the classy way we ate ice cream in goblets. 

Kids ask your parents. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I'm so old I remember when Neapolitan was pistachio, vanilla, and strawberry/cherry. It was also back when Viennetta was the classy way we ate ice cream in goblets. 

Kids ask your parents. 

I miss Viennetta.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Kids ask your parents. 

I think we called that spumoni.

Not remembering Vienetta.

The last time I was near a Ben & Jerry's on Free Cone Day, there were at least 50 people in line.  I tried to figure out what my hourly rate would be to wait in that line to save $4.   Are people really that desperate to save a couple of bucks?  Yes, I'm looking at you Duggars, dressing like cows in order to feed your brood for free at Chick Fil A.

• Love 2

When I used to go to free cone day, I would go on my lunch hour with my coworker and we were easily there and back within the hour, so I don't know if that counts as desperate to save a few bucks or not but we thought it was fun.

• Love 1

I just tried Blue Bell's new flavor, Camo 'n Cream.  It's brown (chocolate), green (almond pistachio) and beige (cream cheese).  I'm not sure where the almond pistachio fits in flavor-wise, but the chocolate and cream cheese worked really well together.  I would buy those two as a combo.

• Love 1

Favorite childhood ice cream was black walnut on a cake cone from this tiny ice cream stand in the tiny town my mom is from (Yarmouth, Nova Scotia if anyone happens to know of it). Baskin Robbins has a black walnut that is pretty close.

Second favorite was dipped cones from DQ. This was pre-Blizzard. Favorite Blizzard is a Skor or Butterfinger (if they don't have Skor).

Favorite seasonal flavor is Baskin Robbins Winter White Chocolate, from the dipping case.  The pre-pack is crap.

I love a rich vanilla (with real vanilla) ice cream, frozen yogurt (Yogurtland Madagascar Vanilla Bean is so good!) or gelato. There's a gelato shop by where I live that makes an Oreo cookies and cream with chocolate base and whole Oreos. It's insane!

I'll buy a pint of Hagaan Daz or Ben and Jerry's at the store (love Colbert's flavor!) or a box of Drum Sticks but they disappear in a night or two. I have no self control so I'll spend $5 on a tiny cup of good gelato instead of a box of ice cream.

I have been cycling through boxes of Heldaos Mexico strawberry and cream bars. Their fruit bars are super good too (but this is the ice cream thread...)

• Love 1
On 9/9/2016 at 10:29 PM, theredhead77 said:

I have been cycling through boxes of Heldaos Mexico strawberry and cream bars. Their fruit bars are super good too (but this is the ice cream thread...)

I've been tempted to purchase those in the grocery store, but I've never had them.  I'll give them a try now though.  Have you tried the mango ones?  If so, please report back on them.

2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I've been tempted to purchase those in the grocery store, but I've never had them.  I'll give them a try now though.  Have you tried the mango ones?  If so, please report back on them.

I don't like mango (or coconut) but I'd recommend it just based on my experience with their products. Worst case you're out $4 or so.
For straight up juice bars I'm a big fan of the Outshine brand. Every flavor I've had has been great (even grape and watermelon, which I tend to hate unless it's in physical fruit form).

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2

I cannot believe I left off Thrifty Ice Cream! If you haven't had the pleasure, be sure to stop in the next time you see a Rite-Aid and have yourself a scoop of heaven.

My entire life of Thrifty Ice Cream I've only consumed chocolate chip and rocky road (RR on the bottom, CC on top, of course) or chocolate malted crunch and chocolate chip. Yesterday I had cherry chocolate chip. And today I had more. Tomorrow I'll probably have more and Sunday is a diet. It's sooooo good! Reminds me of Winter White Chocolate from Baskin Robbins.

My dilemma is this: There's really only one flavor of ice cream that really calls out to me, and that is banana.

And hardly anybody makes it any more. About the only good one is Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Occasionally I'll see a "Banana Split" container from Breyer's or Friendly's, and if it's been long enough since I last tried it, my amnesia will allow me to try again, but it's always a wimpy fake banana flavor completely masked by strawberry (both flavoring and chunks) or pineapple or heaven knows what.

Edy's (the big cylindrical containers that go by other brand names in other regions) used to make two good banana varieties: Chiquita & Chocolate (very much like Chunky Monkey) and Banana Cream Pie. But that was 15-20 years ago. And other brands had creditable examples too, all gone now. Is the flavoring too expensive for the price point, or do so few people buy it that it doesn't pay to manufacture it, or what?

Does anybody besides B&J make a decent banana ice cream now?

• Love 1

Does anybody besides B&J make a decent banana ice cream now?

Blue Bell makes a banana pudding flavor, but it probably doesn't have the big banana flavor you're looking for.  

I'm the same way about lemon ice cream.  I love it, but there aren't too many companies that make that flavor.  (Even Blue Bell hasn't brought that one back yet, but I'm hoping they will next summer--it's a seasonal flavor).