Type keyword(s) to search

Ice Cream

• Start Topic

There's nothing like buying something you know you're not going to like and then somehow still being disappointed when you don't.  There was a good sale on Talenti gelato, so I tried one of the new layer flavors, the vanilla fudge cookie.  It's dark chocolate gelato, then pieces of dark chocolate cookie, then fudge sauce, then vanilla bean gelato, and finally waffle cone crumbles.

I love chocolate, but I hate chocolate ice cream/gelato.  I know this about myself; it hasn't changed in over 40 years.  But I thought, well, maybe it won't be so bad as a layer and I'll like the whole combination.  Yeah, no.  I wound up scooping off that top layer and dumping it down the garbage disposal.  What was left was delicious.

I wanted to try the salted caramel truffle - which is, from top to bottom, sea salt caramel gelato, chocolate cookie pieces, dulce de leche, vanilla gelato, and chocolate caramel truffles - but my store didn't have any. 

I'm bummed they retired their chocolate chip gelato, but I guess it was too basic a flavor for most people.  Those are the kinds I love, though -- vanilla or sweet cream ice cream/gelato with chunks of other things mixed in.  At least they still have the caramel cookie crunch, which is my favorite, and chocolate chip cookie dough.

Edited by Bastet
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I wanted to try the salted caramel truffle - which is, from top to bottom, sea salt caramel gelato, chocolate cookie pieces, dulce de leche, vanilla gelato, and chocolate caramel truffles - but my store didn't have any. 

I am going to have to pretend I did not read this or I will go out and buy some and eat all of it.

Thanks for nothin'

• LOL 2
On 8/10/2018 at 8:39 AM, larapu2000 said:

I've really started to dig on "nice" cream as a replacement for my summertime cravings for the real thing.  You slice a banana, put it in the freezer, let it freeze solid, then puree it in a blender/food processor with flavors like other fruit, peanut butter, chocolate chips, etc.  You can slice a bunch of bananas in advance and just make them one at a time, too.  The banana really doesn't turn brown (Mine have only lasted a week in the freezer, though, so longer may turn them eventually).  I really love adding fresh berries, and I'm trying out using some passionfruit pulp I had thrown in the freezer a while back today.  You can add a little cream if you want some richness, or almond milk.  

It's definitely NOT ice cream.  But it definitely suits my craving when I'm trying to lose weight.

I make this myself!  I sometimes would add coconut or dairy kefir in along with tons of other ingredients.  On another note, I LOVE Death in Venice gelato/sorbetto.  It's a Toronto-based (i.e. local for me) small batch company known for their interesting flavours.  Some (more conservative) flavours are good, but they also have things like Grilled Cheese and Sourdough, Everything Bagel (they also have a NU Bagel and Cream Cheese flavour right now) and Coconut Cold Brew Latte.  The bagel ones are WEIRD.  The founder was a $10K winner on Chopped Canada a few years ago (his dessert incorporated rosemary, ricotta and lemon.  Pretty Chopped-ish, huh?).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I got the chocolate cherry cheesecake layered flavor. It is OK but I don't like the tiny chocolate chips. I don't think my store had the sea salt carmel flavor 'cause that would have been what I would have bought!

• Love 1