Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Don't Cry Over Cut Onions

• Start Topic

What's up with all the pompous arrogant men on this show?  Is the yachting industry just full of them?  I can understand a chef thinking of his food as art and disliking (what appears to him to be) arbitrary dietary restrictions.  However, the vitriol his was spewing about them and toward Hannah was a bit over the top. Dude has some issues, I think.  Watch out, Malia.

I adore Wes.  No there's a decent guy.  Max is funny too.  I'm warming to Captain Sandy, I do like how she interacts with the crew and is trying to develop their skills.  Lauren's a total drama queen shit stirrer but I guess you need one on every season.

• Love 6

Adam is a major a-hole. Point blank, period. Not entertaining. An equal match for Leon. Can't they find a decent chef who,is attention whorey enough for tv but not a jerk? Yeesh.

• Love 7

I love how calm and collected Sandy was in the previews when Adam was being a dick saying something about Hannah's resting bitch face, and she just says. "Oh, Adam...."  Hopefully he'll be given his walking papers next week.  Who else has messed up enough to get booted at this point?  He really was gross when he said, "she's mine" about Malia.   

Hannah really seems to be phoning it in this season.  Have we ever seen her nap/sleep so much?  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

On the S.S. Famewhore, Aleks, Rocky, Danny, Bobby, Kat, Lauren (the stew), Andrew, Sierra, Adam, and Trevor.

I think you just cast the inaugural season of "Below Deck: Bermuda Triangle."

• Love 17
11 minutes ago, Belowdeckchatter said:

Yeah, it sounds like fun.

A crew of the worst cast members. I'd call it, "Below Deck The Voyage of the Damned."

"Below Deck: Egyptian Solar Barge"

• Love 4

I was very impressed with Captain Sandy again this episode. I loved how she let Wes pilot the boat. I can see why she is a popular captain. 

Am I crazy or have there been more mishaps and bad weather on this season? It seems that there is a problem every episode.

As as oniongate goes if I were the primary I would reflect it in the gratuity. Not for the rest of the crew. I would ask how many people share. Calculate the correct tip. Then subtract one share and tell the Captain that I am tipping everyone except the chef. Now I know when they gave an extra tip for Danny last year they put it in the pot. So if they did include him everyone would get less and would be pissed at him as they should be. If I were on this charter and he pulled this crap I have a simple solution.....I would kick the crap out of him. He needs an attitude adjustment and harsh words are just  not going to cut it. You can screw around with the girls on the charter but don't screw around with my money.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Trooper York said:

I was very impressed with Captain Sandy again this episode. I loved how she let Wes pilot the boat. I can see why she is a popular captain. 

Am I crazy or have there been more mishaps and bad weather on this season? It seems that there is a problem every episode.

As as oniongate goes if I were the primary I would reflect it in the gratuity. Not for the rest of the crew. I would ask how many people share. Calculate the correct tip. Then subtract one share and tell the Captain that I am tipping everyone except the chef. Now I know when they gave an extra tip for Danny last year they put it in the pot. So if they did include him everyone would get less and would be pissed at him as they should be. If I were on this charter and he pulled this crap I have a simple solution.....I would kick the crap out of him. He needs an attitude adjustment and harsh words are just  not going to cut it. You can screw around with the girls on the charter but don't screw around with my money.

The Captain would still divy it up evenly.

I would make up my own tip packets and walk the line. When I came to Adam I'd look him in the eye and tell him why he wasn't receiving one in front of everybody and on camera.

He knowingly and repeatedly  disregarded my requests to make a point. Now I'm making mine.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

I would make up my own tip packets and walk the line. When I came to Adam I'd look him in the eye and tell him why he wasn't receiving one in front of everybody and on camera.

I like your style. I think that is a better way to do it. 

I see where there was a fight next week. I hope somebody lays Adam out.  Man does he ever deserve it. If he sucker punches Wes he needs to go down hard.

• Love 4
On 6/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, pieinmyeye said:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. It looked like the breakfast "spread" at a Hampton Inn!

At least at the Hampton Inn, you usually can get some scrambled eggs without having to ask. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Giselle said:

The Captain would still divy it up evenly.

He knowingly and repeatedly  disregarded my requests to make a point. Now I'm making mine.

After watching this episode last night, this is absolutely how I would have handled it. He would be very fortunate that I would be unaware of the bullshit he's saying in the galley because that would cause a confrontation between him and me. That would have ended, at least, with my demanding the captain either fire him on the spot or that he at least be restricted to quarters for the remainder of the charter because I wouldn't want to see him, hear his voice, or think there's any possibility he's getting anywhere near the galley. Adam cooking for the crew would be fine; I, my wife, and our guests wouldn't be putting anything he made into our mouths for the rest of the charter. To be perfectly honest, watching him last night made me fantasize about throwing him overboard and then telling the captain I'd fire the chef. I have a healthy fantasy life. :D

As for tipping, I never leave nothing for a tip. Leaving nothing doesn't communicate anything to the server other than that you're a cheap asshole. However, if I am really disgusted by the service and/or overall experience, I will leave one dollar. And that is what I would do to Adam: I would portion out everyone's tips, take everything from his except for one dollar, and then I would re-allocate the rest of his tip to whichever crew members had to pick up his slack or correct & apologize for his mistakes. In fact, I would probably leave them (collectively, since I'm sure it would be all the stews and possibly a deck crewman) even more money than what he would have gotten as a tip. I'm pretty generous with tips to start with (my base is 20%). If you really screw up, I'll adjust downward accordingly; similarly, if you're really outstanding, I have no problem leaving more. (I remember one vacation in Wisconsin Dells where the server never hovered, only showed up to ask how we were enjoying the meal when we were between bites, refilled drinks without being asked, and was incredibly upbeat, polite, and conversant. The bill for the meal was $50 and I left him $50 as a tip. In 20 years, that is still the single best dining experience my wife and I have ever had.)

Now let's talk about Malia a little bit. That is one incredibly dumb girl. Wes is a champ and a professional. He's smart to simply disengage from her. She wants Adam and Wes to fight over her, even though Adam is BD: Med's version of Shep from Southern Charm; Malia is like a toy to Adam and he only wants to play with her because Wes wants to play with her. As soon as Wes is done with her, Adam will probably bang her once and then start telling everyone about how the sex was, hardly speaking to Malia again after that.

Her wearing Adam's cap on deck was absolutely designed to needle Wes. I wanted to punch Adam in the head really hard when he kept talking as though he can call dibs on a person. That shit really pissed me off.

• Love 2

Is there anything very interesting or noteworthy about Malia in terms of personality? If so, I haven't seen much.

Though she does seem lighthearted at times, she really rained on Lauren when Lauren called her out on kissing two boys. Jeez, just typing this, I think I have lost about 30 years of maturity.

Anyway, Malia's cute, but...what else? I guess it doesn't really matter, but I would hope that someone like Wes (not an ass like Adam) would want more. Maybe they are just not showing her appeal. To me she's all, yeah I'm cute and I know it, so I get to call the shots. 

• Love 8

I understand the equal divide of the tip.  It is to prevent people like Danny from sucking up to the guests while the others do his share of work.  My guess is over the years the shared tip formula has been used because it works.  I think the chef and the captain have the two most difficult jobs on the boat.  Most of these charters have a mandatory gratitude so there is that. The chef is expected to breakfast and often works until late in the night with dinner service.  Adam should be slapped to sleep over his insistence over serving onions.  I always wonder how much is done for "personality".

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MrSmith said:

After watching this episode last night, this is absolutely how I would have handled it. He would be very fortunate that I would be unaware of the bullshit he's saying in the galley because that would cause a confrontation between him and me. That would have ended, at least, with my demanding the captain either fire him on the spot or that he at least be restricted to quarters for the remainder of the charter because I wouldn't want to see him, hear his voice, or think there's any possibility he's getting anywhere near the galley.

That's the rub. You hate to get in a fight with the chef or any other food handler. That is why you don't fight with the waiter because he will spit in your food. So confrontation might not work unless you want Bobby to make you Sloppy Joes. Or maybe Malia can make you Sloppy Seconds.

• Love 3
Just now, Trooper York said:

That's the rub. You hate to get in a fight with the chef or any other food handler. That is why you don't fight with the waiter because he will spit in your food. So confrontation might not work unless you want Bobby to make you Sloppy Joes. Or maybe Malia can make you Sloppy Seconds Thirds.

Well, it's not that I worry about him "doctoring" the food because of the conflict. It's that I don't trust him to comply with the preference sheets. I'd rather go to a restaurant for every meal than have food served that I or my wife or guests don't like. And what if it wasn't an issue just of "I don't like onions" and instead was an issue of "Gluten/shellfish/something could kill me"? At this point seeing him pull this bullshit with onions, why would anyone trust him with their preferences/dietary restrictions at all? So, my point with the captain would be that he isn't allowed to prepare food for me, my wife, or our guests at all for the remainder of the charter. Whether she fires his ass or simply confines him to quarters doesn't matter to me; either way, someone else will do the food prep.

• Love 4

Well I think this mook is a vindictive asshole who would deliberately sabotage the food. I can see he serving stuff that would get you sick because he used bad fish or chicken or whatever. Then he would blame Hannah for not storing it properly or something.

You can't get him replaced then and there so you have to wait until the charter is over. But you can turn to the camera and say you would never use their charter service again. Since they are repeat customers I think that would leave a mark.

• Love 7

Is it me or is there less filming of people praising his food?  Normally we get several people a meal saying the food is fantastic and I don't remember seeing that this time.  The guests seem less effusive in their praise of his cooking.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Is it me or is there less filming of people praising his food?  Normally we get several people a meal saying the food is fantastic and I don't remember seeing that this time.  The guests seem less effusive in their praise of his cooking.

There has been some, but not half as much as past seasons! He should be replaced; esp. if their TIP is jacked because of that a-hole! 

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2

I've tried to watch this episode twice and fell asleep before the episode ended both times. :-\ The crew is boring and they don't show enough scenery of land (yeah, I get they're on a yacht, but I want to see more of Croatia).

• Love 2

Doesn't Adam know how dangerous it is to mess with a diner's onions?

http://www.newser.com/story/244028/diner-pulls-down-pants-in-outburst-over-onions.html

(NEWSER) – A Michigan man, apparently upset because his food included onions, is jailed on charges he made drunken threats to shoot the owner of a Pittsburgh restaurant before exposing himself, reports the AP. Police say 43-year-old Yuba Sharma ate at All Indiana restaurant on Monday night and then returned Tuesday to rant and complain about the onions. The owner tells police Sharma threatened to shoot him, so he called police.

That's when Sharma—confronted by the restaurant owner and another employee—pulled down his pants and exposed himself, police say, adding the Rochester man resisted arrest and had to be lifted and carried to a police cruiser. He remained in the Allegheny County Jail on Thursday on charges of terroristic threats, indecent exposure, public drunkenness, and resisting arrest.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/9/2017 at 1:16 PM, jennylauren123 said:

Is there anything very interesting or noteworthy about Malia in terms of personality? If so, I haven't seen much.

Though she does seem lighthearted at times, she really rained on Lauren when Lauren called her out on kissing two boys. Jeez, just typing this, I think I have lost about 30 years of maturity.

Anyway, Malia's cute, but...what else? I guess it doesn't really matter, but I would hope that someone like Wes (not an ass like Adam) would want more. Maybe they are just not showing her appeal. To me she's all, yeah I'm cute and I know it, so I get to call the shots.  Malia is someone who in my opinion wants everyone to fight over her.  

She's very cute looking girl and she knows how to present herself as a fun-loving girl who is very much at home being one of the guy.  However, she strikes me as someone who loves having people fight over her.  The only thing she didn't like in that instance was having the entire crew know what went on and having her image take a hit.  I guarantee you if you went through all that footage, she has probably flirted relentlessly with the entire crew.  Hell, she was all over Hannah that night.  I thought for sure she wanted to hook up with her more than anyone on that crew.  Yeah, yeah, she was drunk, but still.   

I can't stand Lauren, but I did find it funny that she really didn't back down to Malia and it was Malia that was apologizing the  next day to her.  The thing is, we ALL would've been Lauren that night if we knew that one of our coworkers was kissing two of our colleagues in a matter of seconds.  

Personally, I thought Adam was more of a dick and forced her into a kiss when he thought he was "losing" her.  But I guess it wasn't unwanted after all because she's certainly letting it be known who she'd prefer -- someone who treats women like shit and calls them sluts.  Just wait until Malia decides she isn't into him after all.  She'll be on that receiving end.

On Adam, I'm trying to figure out how being on a show like this is going to help his career?  Unless he thinks he's all set in reality world.  I mean, if you're bread and butter before was catering, how do you get employed post reality career if you're shown on TV completely disregarding a paying customer's preference?  And being a total dick about it too?  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3
(edited)

I loved it when Hannah told Adam the douche, "maybe we shiulget a chef who can read preference sheets."  Hey, maybe Adam is illiterate or something.  Seriously, he's a waste of space.  An arrogant asshole.  How can he blame Hannah for the ferry leaving later?  Why didn't Adam, the great chef say, "maybe we should cover the food?"  He acted like he needed Hannah or someone to tell him what to do.  Adam is an immature baby.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

You're on a charter with a female captain, and you use the word, "slut." Wow. As far as the onions are concerned, I don't have an allergy to them; I just don't like them. So just as the "artist' at the Burger King drive-thru needs to follow my instructions and leave them out of my order, so must the dancing monkey/line cook on the yacht I'm paying for...AND tipping. Silly douche. I pray he gets fired next week.

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, Eater of Worlds said:

Agreed.

Best looking cake on the BD family of shows, though we don't know how it tasted, but overall I haven't seen anything that another chef couldn't pull off.

Why would they praise his food even if it was good he put a damper on the whole evening by not honoring a guests request and saying "Fuck you!"  by doing it twice on two different plates in one meal. He took away from their experience. He has done it the entire series. Utterly rude, disrespectful and uncalled for.

Like others have said I would say something to the captain, demand a different chef or that we would be taking our meals on shore and be talking to whomever at Bravo booked the cruise to get a partial refund.

• Love 2
On 6/9/2017 at 10:16 AM, jennylauren123 said:

Anyway, Malia's cute, but...what else? I guess it doesn't really matter, but I would hope that someone like Wes (not an ass like Adam) would want more. Maybe they are just not showing her appeal. To me she's all, yeah I'm cute and I know it, so I get to call the shots. 

Nothing else. And Malia is not really that attractive. IMO. Hannah is so much hotter. But Hannah is not new to this circus and hasn't in the past, put herself out there to the male crew as an easy target. Malia is new and obviously enjoying all the male attention. And that's exactly what part of being young and pretty is about. Enjoy the attention while you can. Be kind and have fun.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Nothing else. And Malia is not really that attractive. IMO. Hannah is so much hotter. But Hannah is not new to this circus and hasn't in the past, put herself out there to the male crew as an easy target. Malia is new and obviously enjoying all the male attention. And that's exactly what part of being young and pretty is about. Enjoy the attention while you can. Be kind and have fun.

I really don't think any of them are that good looking.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I really don't think any of them are that good looking.

Lol! No they're not but I was basing my observations strictly on the people aboard the ship. Once those "yachties" step foot on land they definitely blend and disappear into the crowds of everyday people!

• Love 1
(edited)

I initially had high hopes for Adam. His plates are visually stunning.  The guests really raved about how great the food was, but, alas, he's revealed his true colors. He's a snob about the food and thinks that he knows what others need to eat.  Life just doesn't work that way.  You prepare what paying diners want and do it nicely.  I'm not sure what kind of setting his philosophy on food preparation would work, unless it's in a prison, school or assisted living facility.  But, even those places have their standards.  

If I paid for that charter and was brought a cold breakfast of pastries, cheese, fruit, etc.  I would be upset.  But, I think that I would have informed the staff that I wanted a full hot breakfast every morning in advance.  With that type of charter, struggling over the food would be the last thing that I would expect.  But, I would also find it odd to have so many struggles with things like anchors, docking, etc.  I mean.....I don't recall those kind of things ever being so prominent before.  So.....perhaps it is contrived drama for the viewers amusement.  lol  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I'm re-watching this show while waiting for the new one, and the charter guests were asking how people wanted their eggs the night before.  I suspect they said they wanted eggs but that Adam was hoping that the continental breakfast would be enough for them so they wouldn't ask for eggs.

• Love 3
On 6/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, chenoa333 said:

Lol! No they're not but I was basing my observations strictly on the people aboard the ship. Once those "yachties" step foot on land they definitely blend and disappear into the crowds of everyday people!

So do we play a game of "Fuck, Marry, or Throw Off a Cliff?" :-)

On 6/9/2017 at 7:41 AM, Fostersmom said:

At least at the Hampton Inn, you usually can get some scrambled eggs without having to ask. 

As a vegetarian who loves good scrambled eggs and frequents Hampton Inns:  No, you usually can't--they cycle through whatever version of eggs they have and likely as not it's a premade omelet with little cubes of ham in it, or a premade cheese omelet which...tastes premade...  But I generally forgo my "no huge carb load for breakfast" rule and make myself a waffle, because, waffle!

I enjoyed the night vision shot when Max startled in his sleep and knocked something down on Bobby who woke up with such a confused look on his face.

Seeing as I binge watched most of these On Demand over the last couple of days, I'm not sure which episode is which, but I'll just also note the shot of a cute cat on shore in one of the Croatian towns.  I remember cute dock cats last year.  I think one cameraperson is a kitty fan.

• Love 3

Favorite moments

Adam watching the galley camera as the guests play Clue with their lentil (onion) soup.   Was:

_h4mWX.gif

What a damn sociopath.  LMAO!!!!! 

and

Malia in her TH during the falls excursion:   "Wes doesn't get this opportunity"    I hope they play that clip at the reunion.

tumblr_nkr5foMUFv1tb9t27o1_500.gif

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:18 PM, Teddybear said:

I love how calm and collected Sandy was in the previews when Adam was being a dick saying something about Hannah's resting bitch face, and she just says. "Oh, Adam...."  Hopefully he'll be given his walking papers next week.  Who else has messed up enough to get booted at this point?  He really was gross when he said, "she's mine" about Malia.   

Hannah really seems to be phoning it in this season.  Have we ever seen her nap/sleep so much?  

Maybe she has a sleeping disorder! I know it weighed me down all my life until "sleep apnea" diagnosed before it almost did me in back in '06! Been on C-Pap so I'm still staggering around! Hannah's young and something might be up so I'm not gonna question her "nap!' 

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
(edited)
16 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Maybe she has a sleeping disorder! I know it weighed me down all my life until "sleep apnea" diagnosed before it almost did me in back in '06! Been on C-Pap so I'm still staggering around! Hannah's young and something might be up so I'm not gonna question her "nap!' 

I just figured she's up part of the night* and catching up on sleep as she's able. I don't find her nap to be mysterious or indicative of a medical condition (outside the one known as "sleep deprivation").

*Edited to add: up part of the night working, not because of anything else.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just rewatched this episode and I forgot what a complete and total unprofessional dick Adam was about the onions. 

He was also completely ridiculous blaming Hannah for the food for the ferry delay as if she was supposed to know it was going to be delayed and she wasn’t on the boat when the delays occurred!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Adam scorned these new money rednecks for not having taste but they took the high road, was generous with the tip.

But the producers may have encouraged Adam to “stick to his guns” and make the food the way he thought it should be and probably told the guests to “speak up” about the onions.

Hannah was insecure about Adam praising Bugs, who seems completely professional with little or no agenda.