Type keyword(s) to search

If You're Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast

• Start Topic

Carl Reiner seeks out some of his nonagenarian friends, including Norman Lear, Mel Brooks, Betty White, Dick Van Dyke, Stan Lee and Iris Apfel—and even a few centenarian ones—to discuss the secrets of their longevity and still-active lifestyles. Tony Bennett performs the film's opening title song, "The Best Is Yet to Come."

Premieres Monday, June 5, at 8 PM ET.

• Love 1

This was fun to watch.  Seems like a common denominator is creativity -- almost everyone was some kind of artist, musician, performer, writer, actor -- although that might have been because that's who Carl Reiner knows -- people in show business and the arts. 

• Love 4

I may have a controversial opinion of this doc. While it was nice to see all these people living their best lives after 90, I did have concern for us regular folk who are not artists or producers or writers or famous comedians. They all seemed pretty well off financially, the one lady with the enormous glasses even had a driver. I fear for the 90 year olds who aren't so lucky.

• Love 6
On 6/13/2017 at 1:21 PM, cpcathy said:

I may have a controversial opinion of this doc. While it was nice to see all these people living their best lives after 90, I did have concern for us regular folk who are not artists or producers or writers or famous comedians. They all seemed pretty well off financially, the one lady with the enormous glasses even had a driver. I fear for the 90 year olds who aren't so lucky.

Yep.  That was the common denominator -- financial stability, with friends and family a close second, and good health coming in third.  I don't know about the 100-year-old lady who lived to run -- she didn't appear wealthy -- but she had family. 

Sorry to see Fyvush Finkel on the In Memoriam segment of the Tony's this week. 

• Love 4
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 11:21 AM, cpcathy said:

Not saying that Iris Apfel isn't well off but I am pretty sure that was just a car service. Also, people should check out Iris which is a documentary about her, her husband died a few years ago at 100.

• Love 1

Just watched the rerun of this last week and I have to agree that for most of us living well into our nineties may not be as pretty a picture as they are painting.  My mother lived to 96 but the last 5 years were in a nursing home, not dancing with her young spouse or writing her 5 th book.  Most of us will probably not have the resources or the  public acclaim that these people have . Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I will be more than happy to give up my space on this planet and the financial and emotional burden to the younger generation well before I hit 90.  Since I am 69 now, it probably needs to be in the next few years ?

• Love 1