Type keyword(s) to search

Chantel & Pedro: FatherChantel Knows Best

• Start Topic

(edited)
19 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

And, the family continues to deny any horrid actions on their end.  They are all so innocent and accepting of Pedro.  Sure, that's why when Pedro was trying to calm down the escalating events at dinner Chantel that River stood up, called him a name, threw a roll at him, swung the hanging light at him and then proclaims confusion about why Pedro tried to fight him.  And Chantel willingly goes along with the Family Chantel's version of all events related to Pedro.  Oh, and Chantel completely ignores the fact that his sister did not call her a name before the wedding until Chantel went off on an ugly rant directed towards the sister.

I will not watch the Family Chantel show as I really can't stand the entire family.  Free Pedro.

Let's also not forget that the Family Chantel were talking about fighting BEFORE the infamous dinner.   They were gunning for something physical and I'm sure the gross parents told River to start something if it comes down to it. Which he did.

The whole family is disturbed and I guess TLC is all they have since likely parents don't want to send their kids to cheer camp after seeing the instructor's  behavior.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, DutchbutnoJesse said:

After the break up she finds a job at McDonalds, where she eats only fries and gains 250 pounds. Because of that she ends up in the 500lbs series with dr. Now what results in a new spinn-off; 'My life with dr. Now'

I wonder if Dr. Now would offer a BOGO at half-off so Winter could go with Chantel.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Chanel went overboard with her implants. She looks like a fat ass now (I know she is not actually fat but the obscene size of her new chest makes her appear obese). She looked much better before she got 30 lbs of implants. Poor dumb bitch has no idea....

• Love 11
On 5/18/2019 at 10:01 PM, Hannah94 said:

Chanel went overboard with her implants. She looks like a fat ass now (I know she is not actually fat but the obscene size of her new chest makes her appear obese).

Oh my lord they are ridiculous. That is going to run into major medical issues later on. Also try squeezing that fat into clothing. Yuck.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The way Anfisa and Chantel sit in their talking heads is so disturbing. I don't think their boobs are as big as they look. It's bras and outfits and camera angles. I think I'd never be chosen to be on 90 Day Fiance as I got contort my boobs like that. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I was so happy for Pedro that he finally left for the DR. He deserves all the vacation in the world after being subjected to the constant gaslighting. 

I do not know who is "acting" with family Chantel. Pedro did look sad, pale, and a either unhealthy or unhappy as the days leading up to his trip. At least it was good to see him happy when he got to his family. Not sure if it is staying inside so much between his job and the video games but he just does not look like the same Pedro we met a few years ago. 

• Love 7

If they divorce (yes, Pedro , do it!) Pedro will find love with a better person easier than Chantel will.  Chantel will always be under her family's scrutiny and mind control.  He probably did want to come to the US , but I do believe that he truly loved her in the start.  Meeting her just meant he was able to come sooner. If her family hadn't been such awful people, they might have stood a chance.  His family is awful but like in another country.  I think his family manipulates him, but they weren't willing to try and end his marriage at first.

• Love 9

I agree. Pedro's family are unpleasant, but I think they are unpleasant largely because Chantel's family treats Pedro so very shabbily. If they were nicer, kinder people who embraced Pedro as a son-in-law and didn't bait him, undermine him, and insult him on the regular, I'm sure his mother and sister would be friendlier. As it is, they feel they have to defend him and protect him, and they're angry. The last time Nicole saw them, she had been thrown to the ground and had a substantial chunk of her weave yanked from her head! They're worried about him, they know he's unhappy.

And I do believe he truly loved Chantel when he first came. He's put up with an awful lot for her. He should cut and run.

• Love 15

When he first came, he was so happy!  And he truly tried to make an effort with her family- he didn't speak a ton of English, but he was friendly and was trying to spend time with them- basketball with River , working out with the dad.  Chantel put him in a bad position and insisted that they lie about why he was here.  He wanted to tell the truth numerous times and did not agree with Chantel.  I'm pretty sure that she also made it seem to her family that he was the liar and that she was just going along with it.

• Love 13
50 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I agree. Pedro's family are unpleasant, but I think they are unpleasant largely because Chantel's family treats Pedro so very shabbily. If they were nicer, kinder people who embraced Pedro as a son-in-law and didn't bait him, undermine him, and insult him on the regular, I'm sure his mother and sister would be friendlier. As it is, they feel they have to defend him and protect him, and they're angry. The last time Nicole saw them, she had been thrown to the ground and had a substantial chunk of her weave yanked from her head! They're worried about him, they know he's unhappy.

And I do believe he truly loved Chantel when he first came. He's put up with an awful lot for her. He should cut and run.

Even though  Nicole made her smart remark about the best thing being “No Chantel”,  I agree that she and her mom seem to have great concern over Pedro’s obvious unhappiness. I think their feelings towards Chantel stem from that more than mere dislike. If the goal was to get him married off to an American and GET THAT AMERICAN DOLLAR, I would think they would be kissing Chantels ass and trying to ingratiate themselves with her family, not mock and antagonize them. It doesn’t make sense to try and drive a wedge between Pedro and what gives them access to all those American dollars. 

• Love 8

If I were Chantal, it would break my heart to see my husband so much happier when he was away from me.

Maybe it's time for her to let him go.  She shouldnt want him to be as miserable as he seems to be when he is around her.

• Love 7
(edited)

Chantel cant see what she's doing to him or she doesn't make the connection that she has contributed MIGHTILY to this change in him.  In her mind, her family is right, Pedro is wrong, and he's wrong for wanting and asking her to stand by him (her husband!), and he's a meanie and difficult for not being all up her family's collective butt like she is.  If she really loved him she would either let him go or care enough to go to counseling with him and choose her marriage over her family and their weird group think.  She will never end it first with him.......she will drive him to end it with her so she can play victim and make her family feel good for "being right". 

If they love one another, their marriage is easily fixable, but they both have to choose each other over their families.  The fact that this toxic stuff has been brewing for so long and has never been addressed head on through counseling or just mere common sense is mind boggling. Pedro left his family and chose to be with her; the fact that Chantel treats this like a high school dating relationship where she consistently chooses her lying nasty  family over her husband and then acts fake shocked/hurt when he doesn't want to be around them is gross and 100% her fault.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 16
On 5/22/2019 at 10:39 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Did Chantal meet the mom and sister during her initial visits to DR? I wonder if they were nicer to her until they discovered her family was treating Pedro so poorly. 

If there was a do-over I would advise Chantal to introduce Pedro to her family via skype or something before he moved over to the States. Maybe he would have been able to see the red flags and ended things. 

The foreigners really are on the back foot as the American is able to see how they live/meet family members and the foreigner is going into the States and a life in the States without really knowing what they're getting into... 

• Love 7

I think Pedro's family is right when they say that Chantel's family thinks they are better than everyone else. They had it out for Pedro the 'foreigner' from the jump. Even if Pedro and his family were Saints they would never be good enough for Chantel's family...who seem to think they are the goddamn Kennedys. I don't like Pedro's family but Family Chantel is the worst...except for Elizabeth's family...who are all equally terrible.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I think Pedro's family is right when they say that Chantel's family thinks they are better than everyone else. They had it out for Pedro the 'foreigner' from the jump. Even if Pedro and his family were Saints they would never be good enough for Chantel's family...who seem to think they are the goddamn Kennedys. I don't like Pedro's family but Family Chantel is the worst...except for Elizabeth's family...who are all equally terrible.

Yeah, i wonder how and why family Chantal has a sense of superiority?  

Were they all highly educated and highly successful I might understand (although most people I've met who are highly educated/successful have no need for airs)

But her mom runs a cheer camp, river is a rapper and I don't know what else he does, I'm not sure what winter does and Chantal is in forever nursing school.  

They are middle class, at best.  And aspiring rapper....ummm, that makes you about as classy as the guy I saw yesterday in the target parking lot standing outside his car rapping, or the guy "selling" his CDs outside the gas station.

• Love 9

Long ago when they first appeared I could swear that they said mummy and papi Chantel were teachers and the cheer camp thing grew out of them coaching sports through work - like they did it through their jobs and then felt they had enough experience to start their own business.  They never tell the truth so we will never know the truth.  I think also that someone on reddit looked up their cheer camp online and couldn't find it or couldn't find their names attached to it.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, RealReality said:

Yeah, i wonder how and why family Chantal has a sense of superiority?  

Were they all highly educated and highly successful I might understand (although most people I've met who are highly educated/successful have no need for airs)

As I remember, Chantel’s parents insisted on a prenup because they didn’t want Pedro taking Chantel’s inheritance if they were divorced.   They were acting like she had some trust fund or something.   

It’s always been sketchy what they do for a living.  But they sure seem to enjoy the TLC spotlight since they are willing to Be portrayed in a really bad light to the viewers.   

• Love 6

I detest Pedro’s family.  They act like people who think they’re not really black because they’re not American.  Ignorant assholes.  The only difference between black Americans and them is where the slave ship stopped.  Don’t get it twisted Family Pedro.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I detest Pedro’s family.  They act like people who think they’re not really black because they’re not American.  Ignorant assholes.  The only difference between black Americans and them is where the slave ship stopped.  Don’t get it twisted Family Pedro.

You don't have to be so US-centric. Pedro's family might identify as a different ethnicity in the DR and black can have a different meaning. When I'm in the States people call me "black" because I look black. But, that is not my identity. I did not grow up black and I am not recognised as black in my home country.

• Love 10

I’ll eat my hat if mother Chantel is a teacher with her big shot-ness. 

Mother Pedro leaves her mouth hanging open just like Pedro. 

I do believe we are being played by these people. All these idiots are in desperate need of vacations I guess. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't care for either of their families. But I believe production is playing up their characters for drama, because no sane person would act the way any of them do in front of national tv. I think Pedro and Chantel, just themselves - without family - might have stood a chance. I remember the episode when he first got to the airport and she went running excitedly to him and both of their faces lit up. Things have definitely changed since that day, and it is because they are both completely manipulated by their own toxic families. 

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

You don't have to be so US-centric. Pedro's family might identify as a different ethnicity in the DR and black can have a different meaning. When I'm in the States people call me "black" because I look black. But, that is not my identity. I did not grow up black and I am not recognised as black in my home country.

^This^. Nearly 75% of people in the DR are a mixture of African slaves and Spanish conquistadors (mestizo or mulatto). Pedro and his mother and sister all look like this mixture, and people in the DR would not think of them as ‘black’ in the African American definition, nor would I.

Edited by gingerella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, gingerella said:

^This^. Nearly 75% of people in the DR are a mixture of African slaves and Spanish conquistadors (mestizo or mulatto). Pedro and his mother and sister all look like this mixture, and people in the DR would not think of them as ‘black’ in the African American definition, nor would I.

Well, that is true because the US has a very narrow definition of "black."  We have the one drop rule in the US.  That isn't so in other countries.  That is why I'm black in the US but not black in many other parts of the world. 

However, I consider myself black.  I get the feeling that a lot of folks don't consider themselves black because they don't want to be black.  I mean, what's wrong with being black?  Nothing shameful about being a descendant of slaves, folks.

My issue with Pedro's mother and sister is, why is Pedro paying for their apartment?  He has a wife.  Why can't Mother Pedro get off her butt and work, she looks younger than me and I work.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

Things have definitely changed since that day, and it is because they are both completely manipulated by their own toxic families. 

as well as TLC production

• Love 3
On 5/26/2019 at 5:02 PM, Neurochick said:

On 5/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, watchingtvaddict said:

I think the colorism that @Neurochick refers to in other countries is very, very real.

My parents are from Central America and my dad is dark skinned black and he really went through it growing up because of it.  Lighter skinned people (like my mother) were seen as superior and were treated better. 

I don't think this has changed,  and I promise you my dad is seen as black.  BUT, my dad has money, so his ass stays kissed when he goes home.

I am not even sure what "growing up black" means?  Black is a color, a skin tone to me, so if you're black, you grew up black.  I think it's odd to assume that growing up black in America is a solitary experience, because from what I've seen/ read...it's not.

• Love 3

Why can't Mother Pedro get off her butt and work,

Who said she doesn't? Perhaps she works and her pay's not great. There's a lot of that in the U.S. too. You can work your butt off and still be poor.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think the colorism that @Neurochick refers to in other countries is very, very real.

My parents are from Central America and my dad is dark skinned black and he really went through it growing up because of it.  Lighter skinned people (like my mother) were seen as superior and were treated better. 

I don't think this has changed,  and I promise you my dad is seen as black.  BUT, my dad has money, so his ass stays kissed when he goes home.

I am not even sure what "growing up black" means?  Black is a color, a skin tone to me, so if you're black, you grew up black.  I think it's odd to assume that growing up black in America is a solitary experience, because from what I've seen/ read...it's not.

Years ago when we were visiting family in the DR, my mom was at a store. She told the woman working there that she was from the North side of the island. The shopkeeper, a light skinned black woman, mentioned she was from that part as well and said something like "the blacks are much lighter skinned there". My mom isn't black though. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Who said she doesn't? Perhaps she works and her pay's not great. There's a lot of that in the U.S. too. You can work your butt off and still be poor.

I can only think that "attorney" in the DR means something different than it does here.  I completely understand that there are attorneys that don't make a lot of money in the United States.  But it's normally at least a middle income job.  

Even for an appearance attorney, I think they make like $200/appearance in the US?  At least that's what I was offered, and there is nothing about me that would cause anyone to offer me an appearance fee that is particularly high.

But apparently Pedro's mom is an immigration attorney, and unless she went to school late in life, she should have a decent book of business and referrals.  It's hard to imagine why she isn't making a middle class income.

31 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Maybe she worked very hard when Pedro was growing up in order to feed and clothe Pedro and his sister. Now that he is grown and working perhaps he wants to do something in return, make her life easier.  IMO unless the money sent  is leaving Pedro and Chantel unable to pay their own rent and bills, there shouldn’t be an issue. They seem to have pretty much what they need. A nice, if small apartment, nice clothing, a new car, Pedro has a nice gaming system, Chantel has her hair done, make up and nails etc. Once Chantel  graduates and has an income, if they start looking to buy a house and start a family, they can decide how much they can afford to send to the DR. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

I can only think that "attorney" in the DR means something different than it does here.  I completely understand that there are attorneys that don't make a lot of money in the United States.  But it's normally at least a middle income job.  

Even for an appearance attorney, I think they make like $200/appearance in the US?  At least that's what I was offered, and there is nothing about me that would cause anyone to offer me an appearance fee that is particularly high.

But apparently Pedro's mom is an immigration attorney, and unless she went to school late in life, she should have a decent book of business and referrals.  It's hard to imagine why she isn't making a middle class income.

There is nothing to suggest that she doesn't. She probably supports her mother, Pedro's aubuela who lives among the packs of wild dogs and the militias in the hills, and possibly other family members as well. Does she have to be dressed in rags and live in a hovel?

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

There is nothing to suggest that she doesn't. She probably supports her mother, Pedro's aubuela who lives among the packs of wild dogs and the militias in the hills, and possibly other family members as well. Does she have to be dressed in rags and live in a hovel?

No, but I generally assume that a highly educated professional in any country making a middle class income lives a middle class lifestyle.  If most people support extended family members than an educated person who should be making a middle class income should be able to afford what the average upper middle class person affords.....which, in the DR sounds to me like a decent apartment and the ability to care for your extended family.

I mean there is only so much housing in any location, even the DR.  It didn't seem like a baller luxury apartment, it seemed pretty middle income.  If your wage range is upper middle....your accommodations should kinda be the same?

But again, I really don't know how or what attorney means in the DR.  I was surprised to find that in some countries you can be considered a medical doctor but only have a bachelors degree.  But you have to work under a Sr. Doctor who has an advanced education.  There, being a doctor in other countries may not be as lucrative as it can be here.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Years ago when we were visiting family in the DR, my mom was at a store. She told the woman working there that she was from the North side of the island. The shopkeeper, a light skinned black woman, mentioned she was from that part as well and said something like "the blacks are much lighter skinned there". My mom isn't black though. 

To me, your skin tone is your skin tone and it's how you grow up whether that experience was good, bad, or otherwise.

If I were transported to Pluto tomorrow and was told that my skin tone was "marshmallow sherbet" than I guess I grew up marshmallow sherbet.

• LOL 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, RealReality said:

To me, your skin tone is your skin tone and it's how you grow up whether that experience was good, bad, or otherwise.

If I were transported to Pluto tomorrow and was told that my skin tone was "marshmallow sherbet" than I guess I grew up marshmallow sherbet.

Right so on Pluto you would be considered “marshmallow sherbet” but if you told people in the US you were “marshmallow sherbet” they’d look at you funny. Location and context matter. So, if someone says they’re not black and they aren’t from the States/ living in the States believe them and don’t think they’re denying their blackness. 

edit to add: skin tone really isn’t the best metric. Some of my family members do not pass for white in my home country but when they’re in the States people don’t believe they’re not white. I’m seen as dark skinned in my country but Americans see me as light skinned. 

Edited by watchingtvaddict
Added extra thoughts
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Right so on Pluto you would be considered “marshmallow sherbet” but if you told people in the US you were “marshmallow sherbet” they’d look at you funny. Location and context matter. So, if someone says they’re not black and they aren’t from the States/ living in the States believe them and don’t think they’re denying their blackness. 

edit to add: skin tone really isn’t the best metric. Some of my family members do not pass for white in my home country but when they’re in the States people don’t believe they’re not white. I’m seen as dark skinned in my country but Americans see me as light skinned. 

Precisely, context matters if you're told you're black in the United States then yeah, you grew up black.  Because your skin tone never changed, no matter what the word is for it.

You grew up with your skin tone, period.  If it's considered something other than black in some places and black in other places it doesn't change how you grew up.  Your skin tone remained the same.

The only difference is the experience attached to the skin tone...or the idea of maintaining a different status because of it.

"Growing up black" means nothing, just say you "grew up" because that's what we all did.  Black kids don't have a special way to grow up because of the color of their skin, they grow up like anybody else.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Precisely, context matters if you're told you're black in the United States then yeah, you grew up black.  Because your skin tone never changed, no matter what the word is for it.

You grew up with your skin tone, period.  If it's considered something other than black in some places and black in other places it doesn't change how you grew up.  Your skin tone remained the same.

The only difference is the experience attached to the skin tone...or the idea of maintaining a different status because of it.

"Growing up black" means nothing, just say you "grew up" because that's what we all did.  Black kids don't have a special way to grow up because of the color of their skin, they grow up like anybody else.

Okay, so when I say "growing up black" I'm talking about certain lived experiences that are very much part of the "black experience" in my home country. Which points to my earlier point that being "black" has different connotations in different countries. Growing up "black" meant you had to use a passport in your own country to move from the countryside to the city. Growing up "black" means you're denied education in your home language. I experienced neither of these things. I therefore did not "grow up black". If I tell people I am black I am lying about my history. 

Edit it to Add: this is getting off topic. I just want to reiterate it’s fine to dislike Pedro’s family but I just dislike seeing people criticize the way they identify because they’re viewing things through a US centric lens. Different countries have different histories and different ways of categorizing people and not calling yourself “black” isn’t denying your blackness. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Okay, so when I say "growing up black" I'm talking about certain lived experiences that are very much part of the "black experience" in my home country. Which points to my earlier point that being "black" has different connotations in different countries. Growing up "black" meant you had to use a passport in your own country to move from the countryside to the city. Growing up "black" means you're denied education in your home language. I experienced neither of these things. I therefore did not "grow up black". If I tell people I am black I am lying about my history. 

I don't think you are lying though.  A skin tone is a skin tone and it doesn't really change.  The treatment attached to it may change but you still grow up with that skin tone. If you're black here then yeah, you grew up black, because growing up a particular skin tone means nothing.  

The only time it means anything is when someone attaches something extra to it like unfair treatment or unfair laws.  You grew up your skin tone, even if you didn't have a bad experience because of it. 

If a dark complected person grew up in your area but was not subject to unfair treatment or laws, would they not be black.  Is skin tone an experience, or is is just a skin tone?

20 minutes ago, RealReality said:

If a dark complected person grew up in your area but was not subject to unfair treatment or laws, would they not be black.  Is skin tone an experience, or is is just a skin tone?

No, they would not be black. They could be of Asian heritage or they could be of mixed race and Indian/Malay/African and White. Skin tone is for sure an experience but in countries where the majority of people are not white the default is not "black OR white" it's a lot more nuanced. 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

No, they would not be black. They could be of Asian heritage or they could be of mixed race and Indian/Malay/African and White. Skin tone is for sure an experience but in countries where the majority of people are not white the default is not "black OR white" it's a lot more nuanced. 

So, if a hypothetical person who had a black skin tone and looked a way you would traditionally imagine a black person would didn't experience unfair treatment or unfair laws they didn't grow up black?   If a white person was treated as poorly, did they grow up black?  

I don't think that skin tone is an experience at all.  I think skin tone is skin tone and any experience attached to it is the product of external forces.  Just like it is with white people, asian people, middle eastern people and everyone.

Yes in those countries there is a heavy degree of colorism.  As @Neurochick referenced.  I do not get the logic in saying you didn't grow up black, because you didn't struggle under unfair laws?  Or because you benefitted from colorism?  

We all just "grow up" and I can only think of upsetting reasons why anyone would reference their skin tone as to how they grew up, because it sounds like a good way to make assumptions about how people live and grow up based on race, and a great way to reduce the rich experience of someone else's growth to something sad and ugly.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

Yes in those countries there is a heavy degree of colorism.  As @Neurochick referenced.  I do not get the logic in saying you didn't grow up black, because you didn't struggle under unfair laws?  Or because you benefitted from colorism?  

I have a answer/question for you? 

Colorism is not just an issue in black communities. I'm seen as dark skinned in my community but light skinned in the States. I didn't benefit from colorism. I benefited because I wasn't classified as black in my home country.  And people from my country do not see me as black. You're framing things from a very US-centric POV. 

There are people with a very dark skin tone in Asia. Are they black? 

• Love 1
(edited)

Dear all, 

Not wanting to offence anyone but doesn't this discussion became way out of topic and can we go back snarking on the Chantel family (and occasional Pedro's?) 🙂

Thanks!

Edited by DutchbutnoJesse
  • Love 10