Type keyword(s) to search

Chantel & Pedro: FatherChantel Knows Best

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I haven't gotten to watch this yet. My wife is out of town and won't be home until this afternoon some time. Will get to it as soon as we can.

I love that you watch shows together and won't watch ahead.  Sweet.  

• Love 4

I like that when Pedro is upset with Chantel for something that's her fault (ex: everything so far) she just stands in front of him silently and stares at him blankly yet judgmentally.  Like he's going to just forget he was upset. Or disappear. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, wings707 said:

Thanks. I'll be honest that if it weren't for the enjoyment I get from watching shows with my wife, I would actually watch very little TV. When I'm on my own, I have a hard time sitting still in front of the TV for that long. I tried to watch a couple of movies while she was away this weekend and I didn't get through more than 20 minutes of each one before I got bored. Of course, one of those movies was the awful Daredevil with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, which I used to like. Watching it this time (and I missed the first 15 minutes of it), I saw so many things wrong with it that I used to uncritically accept or ignore. (Now, in my defense, I've not watched that movie since like 2006.)

I saw the promo where Chantel says, about her bachelorette party:  "I deserve it!"  Well, let me direct your attention to Loren and Alex - look how that shitshow turned out for them.  We all know there will be a lot of drama from no drink/no party Pedro and Chantel will party hard, get sick and lick tequila off some guy's chest.

• Love 2

Chantal is absolutely ridiculous and her brother River is so beyond idiotic I can't stand it. Did he not watch the previous season by now? Or is he too stuck on stupid to realize his poor sister was the operator behind the big lie? Yes he is the snake. Well said Pedro! No need to kiss his punk ass. He needs to grow up and find himself a girlfriend.  Maybe River & Chantal should go back to preschool together.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Why didn't River ask Chantel to marry him if he was so into her? Conventions be damned! He is pissed that the love of his life is with another man. Im sure Mother Woody would have been thrilled.

I know, right? His obsession with his sister is really creepy and squicky. Mother Woody-brilliant!

• Love 3

Family Chantel are like the worst understudies in the worst small town, amateur theater production, and they haven't bothered to learn their lines. Listening to them struggle to remember the script, then parrot out their lines in their robotic voices through clenched teeth is painful.   

How long has Pedro been in the US now?  He still barely speaks English, Chantel's Spanish is still at a primary school level. How do they communicate besides the language of Genitalia?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Quof said:

Family Chantel are like the worst understudies in the worst small town, amateur theater production, and they haven't bothered to learn their lines. Listening to them struggle to remember the script, then parrot out their lines in their robotic voices through clenched teeth is painful.   

How long has Pedro been in the US now?  He still barely speaks English, Chantel's Spanish is still at a primary school level. How do they communicate besides the language of Genitalia?

Thanks for this! I'm  going to figure out a way to work it into conversation as often as possible.

• Love 4

Pedro seems really sweet. And, he's working two jobs, so he is earnest about being a good husband and providing as best he can. More than can be said for Mohamed and other spouses who refuse to work.

i just hate it how he's so mistreated by Family Chantel and how Chantel doesn't defend him.  I can't blame Pedro for wanting little to nothing to do with them.

it is customary for Caribbean born immigrants and Puerto Ricans to help out back home. I make a good living when I'm working, so I never begrudged my husband helping out my sister in law. Other family members chip in as well. She's underemployed and not in great health. She's grateful and thankful and never asks for anything or acts entitled. She took care of her aging parents until they passed on. It was a great comfort to the family to know they were well cared for. We owe her a debt of gratitude, so if we can help her, we do. 

People in the DR are mostly poor. Even if you are a lawyer, you're probably not making the kind of money there that a lawyer does here, so that's probably why Pedro has to send money home. She may not be able to work due to her own health or caring for an elderly or sick parent. We don't know their back story.  

Chantel is a spoiled,immature, coddled brat. She's likely not learned much to yet have empathy for those less fortunate than herself. 

• Love 11

Chantel  is very young. A flashy thousands of dollars ring doesn't mean love. But Pedro spending 2 grand on a new video game system and games is also fiscally irresponsible.  

These two deserve each other.

• Love 4
On 6/25/2017 at 0:56 PM, wings707 said:

i don't, i think it's dumb--but that's only because i'm single and jealous lol

On 6/25/2017 at 1:00 PM, Drogo said:

I like that when Pedro is upset with Chantel for something that's her fault (ex: everything so far) she just stands in front of him silently and stares at him blankly yet judgmentally.  Like he's going to just forget he was upset. Or disappear. 

and she does a slow motion eye open/close that bugs me.

• Love 7
On 7/17/2017 at 8:51 AM, noveltylibrary65 said:

and she does a slow motion eye open/close that bugs me.

those false eyelashes look so heavy, her eyelid muscles must be getting a workout! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ugh.  River needs an ass-kicking.  I'm behind on the shows - my DVR isn't picking them up so I have to wait for them to come to On Demand on our system.  The ep I watched last night - where they're helping Family Chantal move (and I won't even get started on his hair).....I expected him to pull a page straight from South Park, turn around, drop trou ,and say "Go on.  Kiss it.  Apologize.  Kiss it.  Apologize".

I had to look up where they were located - a company I deal with at work has employees named River and Wynter (their sister), but it's not them.  I found the photos on the website, and it's not the same people .

Edited by funky-rat
Spelling
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I had to look up where they were located - a company I deal with at work has employees named River and Wynter (their sister), but it's not them.  I found the photos on the website, and it's not the same people .

Which reminded me of something I was thinking about while watching the show.  How did Chantal get away without getting a hippy moniker?  One would assume she would have been called Ocean, Pond, Lake, Stream, Summer, Spring or Fall. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

Which reminded me of something I was thinking about while watching the show.  How did Chantal get away without getting a hippy moniker?  One would assume she would have been called Ocean, Pond, Lake, Stream, Summer, Spring or Fall. 

I have one result that tells me (which I knew BC I am French) that her name is from singing/song. the other hit I looked up said this: French name derived from the Old Provençal cantal (stone, boulder). So we're not that far off the hippie names. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Quof said:

Didn't we figure out last year that none of Family Chantel was using their real name, including Chantel? 

I must have missed it or forgot that one. Sorry

• Love 1
18 hours ago, greekmom said:

Oh, she didn't get away without a hippy moniker. Her real name is CeAir Chantel Wylie. She's just going by Chantel for the show.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2017 at 3:32 PM, greekmom said:

i didn't know there was  a sister, i'm known to miss stuff but where is she?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, noveltylibrary65 said:

i didn't know there was  a sister, i'm known to miss stuff but where is she?

They showed her in the packing episode. I was surprised myself. 

• Love 1

There's a new cheerleading show that I keep seeing advertised and I swear the coach looks like Mama Chantel. Of course, I could be wrong, as there was no lil cowboy hat. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or if it's her??

I haven't seen it, but doesn't Mama Chantel own some kind of cheerleading business, (and Chantel is a coach) so a spin off show is possible. Also, if I recall correctly, doesn't Father Chantel also run some kind of basketball clinic (which makes River's insisting Pedro play basketball with him even more unfair.) 

• Love 3
On 7/9/2017 at 11:57 PM, Brooklynista said:

Why didn't River ask Chantel to marry him if he was so into her? Conventions be damned! He is pissed that the love of his life is with another man. Im sure Mother Woody would have been thrilled.

you know I hated all of this story until these posts. so so funny. "father chantal knows best" "Mother woody". we have to figure out a name for clench teeth chantal. i will say she is stunning but a complete bubble head. I sort of like Pedro except for his constant "baby, baby". His Mom--ugh.

On 7/22/2017 at 1:19 PM, greekmom said:

They showed her in the packing episode. I was surprised myself. 

I was surprised as well--bet she is no drama which is boring --cry me a river is better tv <blech>

• Love 2
21 hours ago, magemaud said:

Was it ever explained why Pedro calls Chantel "Pinky" because every time he does, my mind "goes there..."

Not that I recall. And I don't blame you for where your mind goes. I, on the other hand, think of the movie Kuffs when Christian Slater's character is going to send flowers to Milla Jovovich's character and initially says to put on the card "Love and kisses on all your pink parts".

I really don't think the gaming system is all that crazy. Pedro was thrilled by warm tap water when he first moved into the rose petal studio, so I think it's nice to for him to finally get all of the things I'm sure he always dreamed of having growing up. Most of Mr. Lurker's family is in Argentina and he has aunts who bring things back a few times a year; old clothes, old Tupperware, you name it. The kids were absolutely thrilled with a 10 year old PlayStation that was collecting dust up here. Most millennials probably have over $2000 in electronics in their apartments at any time, it was all just purchased over time.  

Family Chantel had the most closed off body language that entire trip.

• Love 2

I'm still puzzled on why the Chantal famly thinks they are so special? Running a cheerleading and basketball camp can't be all that lucrative.  They kinda act like "old money" (no disrespect) people do, with the slow speech, noses up in the air etc....I would really like to know if they work, and where they were moving too!  Just call me nosey rosey..

• Love 6
On 8/3/2017 at 10:17 AM, Saltgypsie said:

I'm still puzzled on why the Chantal famly thinks they are so special? Running a cheerleading and basketball camp can't be all that lucrative.  They kinda act like "old money" (no disrespect) people do, with the slow speech, noses up in the air etc....I would really like to know if they work, and where they were moving too!  Just call me nosey rosey..

I'd guess cheer camps in the south can be rather lucrative. And since kids start training for pro sports early, that pulls in enough money to live comfortably. We haven't seen any evidence that they don't work.

And whatever money they earn, it's enough so they aren't expecting their kids to pay their mortgage and buy them electronics, groceries and clothing while acting greedy and entitled. Not like someone else's family I might mention...

• Love 9
On 7/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, TwopLurker said:

Family Chantel had the most closed off body language that entire trip.

Both families were close off.  TLC Twitter wrote that Family Chantel were parked in the van for 2 hours before deciding to turn around.  Pedro's mother never went to the van to try to smooth things over. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

Both families were close off.  TLC Twitter wrote that Family Chantel were parked in the van for 2 hours before deciding to turn around.  Pedro's mother never went to the van to try to smooth things over. 

Wow, FamilyChantel must have hella strong kidneys! I couldn't have lasted that long without a potty break.

• Love 4

I'd guess cheer camps in the south can be rather lucrative. And since kids start training for pro sports early, that pulls in enough money to live comfortably. We haven't seen any evidence that they don't work.

And whatever money they earn, it's enough so they aren't expecting their kids to pay their mortgage and buy them electronics, groceries and clothing while acting greedy and entitled. Not like someone else's family I might mention..

I was curious about this so I re-watched part of the 1st episode from last season. (I had to sit through part of the cringey Nicole/Azan story to get there. Ugh,) Chantel said she is a cheer coach, her mom is a cheer coach, her dad is a basketball coach. There was a visual of all three of them working in the same facility and there was a big banner for "Anysport" camps and programs. It definitely gave the impression that the family owns a sport/cheer business that they run together. But they didn't actually say that. The facility itself looks like a community center or church/school multipurpose room that is rented out for these types of programs.

Chantel2.JPG

I could not find a website for Anysport, or any camps/programs owned or run by Thomas Wylie or Thomas Everett in or around Atlanta. (I can't remember the mother's name.) They also showed the family home which is nice and looks comfortably suburban.
Chantel3.JPG

To me this all adds up to exactly what they said it was. I think the parents are employed as coaches and making a good, middle class living out of it. I bet they have other jobs as well. They seem moderately/reasonably successful in life, but this isn't one of those deals where the family owns a big cheer gym with tons of competitive teams, a big reputation, and lots of money coming in from fees, lessons, and private sessions.

As much as I despise some of this family's behavior on the show, I suspect it's not really this bad in real life. I think they went into this really wanting to portray themselves as an educated, classy, successful, strong, intact family on tv. However, Chantel is the first to leave the nest and they're being over protective. They're trying so hard not to be taken for fools by Pedro and his family that they're coming off as arrogant and ungracious. Whatever they were trying to do, or intended to do on this show is backfiring on them. But that's par for the course in reality tv and they should have expected it.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 6

Good sleuthing sleepyjean!  The Atlanta area is pricier than other areas in Georgia in terms of housing prices.  Their family home looks quite large and fairly new, so there could be some inheritance money which would also explain the anxiety over the pre-nup.

• Love 1